Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
May 18, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2017
This movie made me cry so hard.

May 27, 2018 11:05 PM

Mar 2018
There's so much aesthetic that you forget to think about what the fuck is actually going on. But it was very enjoyable.
Aug 18, 2018 3:31 PM

Aug 2017
The movie is overrated but I like it, mostly for the animation. My main complain is that Ishida woke up for the power of love. That was pretty stupid. Also, most of the girls are annoying, especially Ueno. Fuck you Ueno. At least there some good scenes and the ending was decent. My score is 6/10 (I could give this 5/10 easily).
NurguburuAug 18, 2018 9:34 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 26, 2018 6:35 PM
Sep 2018
I must say that this anime was such a touching, realistic and authentic movie. It left me in tears at times and in some cases, grinning like an idiot. Ishida is a character that you can emphasize with. His character is raw and really potrays the hardships and learnings of life. You see how he grows to become regretful and so hateful toward himself that he almost commits suicide. As he makes a friends and reconnets with others throughout the movie you see that he becomes stronger. At the end of the film we finally lets himself live. When all the crosses on everyones face falls, this is an important to Ishida as it shows that he isn't afraid anymore. The anime demonstrated on so many themes and subjects, and I absolutely loved it! :)
Sep 27, 2018 1:20 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty good tbh, need to rewatch someday!

Oct 14, 2018 7:27 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Nice film but Ueno is an insufferable bitch.

I wished nishimiya shoko and ishida ended up together.
Oct 22, 2018 3:34 PM

Jun 2012
They graciously avoided turning it into a romance even with Shouko's feelings coming out in the film, and with the infrequency of the fact Shouya is trying to redeem himself it's a level of awkwardness avoided. By the end though it's more than just making it up to a young woman but the capacity to face others head-on. Wikipedia's entry callin' this teen drama don't do it right; it's a story about redemption, change, and self-discovery

There was a scene in the hospital and I think one in Shouko's bedroom (she's older in both scenes) where I thought there was some other medical condition she had or something was getting worse, but it seems like it was for the grandmother and maybe they could've communicated that better. Oh and the final scene where all of Shouya's friends involved in this were flashing through his mind, I would've taken out the uh, slanted eye guy and the other guy since they weren't part of the "healing" process

KyoAni managed to make Shouko's deafness feel like a medical condition instead of a moé point, a herculean feat of direction that absolutely needed to be treated seriously for the story to have the deft hand it did. Nope, the endearing part of her character comes from her communication with everyone else

Best thing about the film though is how meticulously it goes through Shouya's thought process. Not a lot to say because he walks us through it. Final note, I can point to the balcony scene as the film's climax looking back, but when watching it's like the movie has no 3rd act. There's the flashback to when Shouya and Shouko were in elementary school, and then...that's it. The film never has an indication for where you can start expecting it to end except for the final scenes themselves. It implores the viewer to never mentally disengage, pushing audiences to always watch the signs and listen to the silence
Oct 29, 2018 4:29 AM

Feb 2018
For me it was a beautiful and complex story showing many problems of our society and life starting from bullying, depression, anxiety and ending on friendship, understanding another person, proper communication with others, seeking for forgiveness and a way to achieve that and many more

I felt In love with, scenes compositions, flashbacks and many other aspects of animation as with music at itself (actually I wasn't focused entirely on music. I appreciated it and understood how big impact it had on entire story when I watch some videos on YT).

It was a story that I'm sure I could relate to and that I could felt a connection - the same goes for characters as well.

The only thing that bothers my is that I'm not quiet sure if I understood it properly. I feel like I'm missing something. This is the first time in my entire life EVER I tried to analyze the "creation" at so deep level and still I'm not quite sure If I understand everything.

There is many thing that I could try to say (starting from every single thing that I loved and what I hated) but I think that the main thing that touched me was how big impact it had on me. How I tried to understand something, tried to analyze. How it pushed me to ask myself do I ever understood someone? Was there someone that trully understood me and did I appreciated that? Am I understand myself?

This movie is definitely the one that I will rewatch in future and I will, for sure, read source materials.
Nov 8, 2018 12:39 PM

Sep 2013
I finally decided to watch this movie and I must say I am not disappointed. I already expected that it will not be 100% faithful to the manga but the movie still captured the essence that made the manga such a success. It's been years since I last read the manga. I remember finishing it in one sitting before going to work not caring if I came late. I dont remember Ueno to be that despicable in the manga though and it was made more obvious in the manga that she has feelings for Ishida.

The only thing I didnt liked about the movie, actually even in the manga, is that the ending was so unsatisfying and like there's an itch that didnt get scratched. I needed more romantic conclusion 😭😭😭 at least in Your Name I was kinda satisfied even if it was an open ending as well.

Anyway great movie. It's been a while since I last got the feels from watching something 9/10.

"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Nov 14, 2018 9:00 AM
Sep 2011
SaturnSkye said:
GohanwaOkazu said:
One thing that I didn't fully understand by first view was one of the triggers that motivated Shoko to confess her feelings with her own voice.

Yeah I thought they were going to expand on that more, about the hospital scene. They skimmed over a few things like that.

Aruciel said:
What I disliked about it though, was the audience. During some scenes where Shouko was getting bullied, there were many people in the audience that burst out laughing. Made me question if it was just me or if people are just assholes. Waiting for it to come out and watching it alone may make for a more enjoyable experience.

Just jerks... I watched it at the cinema too and that didn't happen. Cruddy that they hindered your experience.

Ok so I'm a bit bitter sweet about this and I think the reason why is that the subtitled translation wasn't as good as it could be. In the first half, especially when Shouko was being bullied, I held back tears on numerous occasions. Then in the second half I found that things weren't as well explained as I'd like, conversations were just a bit off. It's hard to put my finger on it.

The other thing is that for some reason I wasn't expecting this to be so much about friendship. I was expecting more of a romance. Sure it was obvious that they like each other, with Shouko even confessing at one point. I felt the ending was a bit abrupt, as I was still expecting romance. It was developing nicely and then all of a sudden he drops his walls and all is well. The end. That's nice but I was wanting more. That seemed to be the general consensus in the cinema. Maybe they shouldn't of placed that confession half way through. That's just building hopes that end up accounting to nothing, is it not? The miscommunication wasn't actually addressed. He could of at least asked her out. That would have made for a better ending imo.

I don't know. I was really feeling it in the first half but it lost me a bit in the second. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. There's lots of good points. I felt it was unique, I liked the themes, the maturity and it was emotional and heartfelt. I wanted to give it a 10 at first but by the end I'd say an 8. Still great, I just wasn't completely satisfied. Anyone else feel similar?

I had those same feelings
Nov 26, 2018 8:04 PM
Aug 2018
I was crying throughout the whole movie. It was a really great movie. One of the best anime films I have ever seen.
Jan 15, 2019 3:57 AM

Aug 2017
I saw this film at the cinema and already from the trailer I realized that it was a film with a plot that was going to deal with sensitive topics such as bullying. In fact, this anime struck me, because the author has given himself everything to make us understand the concept of friendship and loyalty to others. The film is well dubbed and well animated, in fact there are details such as panoramas or places made very well. The only flaw in my opinion is the final act, because you expect it to end in a certain way; to see the other end, it is good to get the manga. This is a film that should be seen and reviewed, because it leaves a mark.
Jan 17, 2019 9:00 PM

Dec 2016
This movie was perfection. I have dealt with issues such as bullying and its not pleasant to go through. The way this movie presented this aspect of bullying and how friendship in general changes over time resonated deeply with me. This movie is just amazing and I hope I can find another movie that inspires me and makes me just as happy as I am now. I am soooo glad I finally decided to pick this up .

11/10 (first ever)
Goku3761Apr 10, 2019 11:15 PM
Jan 31, 2019 8:48 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Phenomenal film. Breathtakingly well presented by KyoAni, hearing My Generation by the Who at the beginning was a pleasant surprise. It actually felt like a unique choice that stands out from other films.

The story of course, is pretty great. I blazed through the manga, but the ending to the manga was disappointing as it didn't feel complete. I was interested to see what KyoAni would do with it, and honestly I can say I liked the manga's ending better. It just felt more complete than what the movie gave us. It felt kind of abrupt how it ended. They cut out quite a bit, but I felt they hit the most important beats and it flowed well.

The cast of characters I think is overall good, but Shouko and Shouya were the real standouts. I think they portrayed Tomohiro in a much more positive way than what he's like in the manga, he was sort of a little douche at times. Nao is still the worst. And Shouya's mom is the biggest sweetheart.

The dub was exceptional, especially using a deaf actress for Shouko. A really good decision. It really helped sell Shouko as a character. Robbie Draymond did terrific as Shouya.

The story of bullying and treating those who are different than us with kindness and respect are very powerful in this film. The beginning does a great job of hammering that into us the first 30 minutes. Shouya's redemption and Shouko's acceptance of herself were both really well written. I really adore Shouko.

Overall, a really terrific film that shouldn't be overlooked. It teaches us so many important lessons through very well written characters. 9/10
Feb 2, 2019 6:13 PM
Jan 2008
I have to agree with every word of the above review. I was very moved by this movie, and yes, the dub is outstanding. Lexi Cowden in particular gives a heartbreakingly authentic turn as Shoko, and the end result is all the more tangible because of it.
Mar 18, 2019 2:32 AM

Oct 2012
okay I have not finished but I had to pause I the beginning the mom has blood on her. did the mother of the heroine fight with her wtf
Mar 18, 2019 4:31 AM

Oct 2012
finished. 8 out of 10. no kiss. at least she confessed. man someone refer me a true romance anime movie or anime. after watching pancreas and this I need a warm fuzzy romance
Apr 2, 2019 6:08 AM
Jul 2018
I had tears rolling down my face at the end.
Apr 6, 2019 5:04 AM

Feb 2013
It had a happy ending, yay!
Ueno is the only one I couldn't forgive.
Apr 10, 2019 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
i expected to have a waterfall come down more....but i ended up getting more infuriated at cookie cutter KyoAni black hair bitch. if there was one person that deserves more comeuppance, its her
EDIT: the more i think about it...the other goody goody two shoe girl is silently infuriating too and shoulda got comeuppance as well, considering outta nowhere post-time skip, she LOUDLY threw MC under the bus for no reason when he just wanted to talk. plus i hate fake people
dannymilkApr 11, 2019 12:17 AM
Apr 30, 2019 2:13 PM
Mar 2017
Overrated af!! Not worth to watch!! Same regular storyline, everything was predictable, boring+slow pace!!! 3.7/10
May 1, 2019 8:00 AM
Oct 2012
this was a great anime movie I thought the charters were realalistic and had different motives and ways of looking at things as people do in real life I am sure deaf people get bulled in real life as well a soild story music was ok animation was very good I am not sure why the girl wound up liking her tormentor later on also the theme of both thinking about suscide was really bold and I think maybe it will help others to relies others peoples feelings I highly recommend this movie
May 5, 2019 9:38 PM

Jul 2013
None of this would have happened if Shoko didn't transfer to school for normal kids. She's deaf ffs, what's next enroll a blind kid there? Anyway the movie is not bad but it is overrated. Everything seems to be going well with Shoko then she just tries to kill herself. I didn't see any hints that would explain why she did that during that time, maybe back when she was being bullied.
Jun 3, 2019 2:25 PM

Dec 2013
The movie is good, that's for sure. But it felt confusing to me at times. And the ending was kind of not fulfilling. I need to rewatch it one day and now I think I'll read manga and compare.
Jun 4, 2019 11:09 AM

Oct 2017
This a masterpiece. No matter how many times i rewatch always feel all the emotions.Just love this movie.
Jun 6, 2019 3:01 PM

Apr 2019
Just finished it. I thought it was fantastic. When Shouko left the fireworks I knew what she was going to do but watching Shouya scramble to save her only to fall himself really got to me.

This film really brought out the feels in me.
Jun 11, 2019 4:42 AM

Sep 2011
PrimeX said:
None of this would have happened if Shoko didn't transfer to school for normal kids. She's deaf ffs, what's next enroll a blind kid there? Anyway the movie is not bad but it is overrated. Everything seems to be going well with Shoko then she just tries to kill herself. I didn't see any hints that would explain why she did that during that time, maybe back when she was being bullied.
It stated literally right after during the bridge scene near the end of the movie. Ishida ruined his friendship with his new friends again because of Shouko, technically. The incident from the past was brought up previously and Ishida tried to cast everyone away. Shouko blames herself for this, which is why she even says that she thought it'd be better off if she "disappeared."
Jun 16, 2019 12:43 PM

Sep 2014
I know what I was getting into, but fuck that dude. For real. His mother didnt deserve such a brat. Top anime mom btw.

The breakfast scene was probably the strongest scene in anime I have ever seen that didnt rely on unspoken metaphores.

Why didnt we ever see his big sister? We see her kid, her husband and she is in the frame, why no face?

Shoko is the cutest girl ever.
Yuzu is great.
Not sure how I feel about the other girls, Miki seems to be dumb honest, Miyoko did nothing wrong I guess. Both arent enough to form an opinion for me. Naoko is kinda a generic bitchy teenage girl, I dont really dislike that though.
She was in the hospital the entire time as well, so she genually cares for MC dude. I really like her, she is the most normal character we see as well IMO.

Not gonna lie, the first time I saw this I thought MC would went deaf or blind from the fall as well, somehow I still thought thats how it would end this time after it was implied thats what happened to Shoko, so I expected cringe, but it wasnt luckily.

Its a bit much like generic loner anime material because it starts with "look how lonely I am" and 30 minutes later everyone suddenly likes him and wants to be friends with him.
Well I guess thats kinda the point of the movie, that everything will work out somehow in the end.

All in all it was still as amazing as I remembered. You dont always need some supernatural event like saving a town from a metheor. A simple down to earth story works just as well.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 24, 2019 9:16 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, so that's the best anime KyoAni has made.
Jun 25, 2019 8:36 PM

May 2014
It was a bit confusing at time (it’s a 2 hour movie with a ton of source material to cover so I’m not surprised) but I rather did enjoy the movie.

Oscar and Andre deserved better
Jul 3, 2019 9:11 PM

Feb 2013
Loved it! I think they did a great job adapting this. Obviously there were some parts cut out, but still a good job none the less. Manga was better. 9/10
Jul 4, 2019 1:14 AM
Jan 2011
PrimeX said:

That's bad to say. What kind of savages bullies someone for being deaf? When I went to school, disabled people were off limits. If someone tried to bully them. There would be plenty of people ready to give that bully a beatdown.
Jul 8, 2019 6:43 AM

Aug 2018
One of the greatest movies I've ever seen! Words can't describe hiw great this movie is! More than a masterpiece 100/10
Jul 17, 2019 11:36 PM

Dec 2015
"Why do you like anime?" some people asked me...
"Because is art" I said.
"Why do you think that?" they asked...
"Because films like this" I answered them.

This is a MUST WATCH for everyone who likes art. Not only anime fans.
Jul 19, 2019 2:05 PM

Mar 2018
Wonderful movie. There were quite a few moments where I had to choke back tears.
Jul 21, 2019 2:56 PM

Jun 2019
Parkrover said:
"Why do you like anime?" some people asked me...
"Because is art" I said.
"Why do you think that?" they asked...
"Because films like this" I answered them.

This is a MUST WATCH for everyone who likes art. Not only anime fans.

Yes, it became my favorite anime movie. One of the 10 best movies I have ever seen. I will buy all the mangas.
Jul 25, 2019 2:43 AM
May 2019
Best anime movie ever ^^
Aug 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Aug 2018
Not a bad romance. I thought it interesting that deaf speech in Japanese sounds a lot like deaf speech in English. All in all enjoyable. 8/10
Aug 9, 2019 12:17 PM

Jun 2019
Amazing work, impressive animation, and truly beliveible characters, with real problems. Lately, ive been interested in anime, that explores the human mind/being, and so far, this is one of the best animes i have ever seen in this topic. In memory to all those people who have died at KyoAni, i will watch all their works, i know that dosent help with the situation, but i want to respect the works of those people who lost their lives. Lets hope for a brighter future for KyoAni, and the survivors!
Aug 11, 2019 4:51 AM

Aug 2013
This was an outstanding movie overall. A very powerful one indeed. 9/10.

Aug 11, 2019 5:45 PM

Jul 2019
My heart is still in recovery mode.

I was so mad at Ueno and Kawai. They were so infuriating. Especially Kawai playing the victim and really throwing Ishida under the bus twice. Those are the worst people in history. Willing to let someone else take all the heat. I think I hate her the most. It reminds me of the movie Atonement when the main character is sent off to war and dies because one person's lies. Then there was Ueno who showed 0 growth and was abusive to Shoko even after all the years that past. How dare she blame Shoko and even keep her visiting Ishida in the hospital. I had so much rage for them. I almost forgot about Shimada like the nerve to make it your mission to turn people against Ishada even after starting new schools.

Ishida shouldn't have been a sympathetic character but he really did change his ways and he suffered so many years in silence. They're lucky he didn't turn to more violence and shoot up the school. Ishida was so earnest and really put himself out there to find Shoko - that was such an unexpected turn. His ability to learn for his past mistakes is honorable. I am amazed at his character development. Bullying, depression, love lost, love found, death, are such heavy topics and for the most part it was handled well for just 2 hours.

I definitely think Shoko had some sort of mental illness; she was not good at picking up on social cues at all. She also never defended herself, expect for that one time she fought back with Ishida. So her falling in love with Ishida doesn't come as a surprise as it doesn't seem like she really made friends and this guy is genuinely atoning for his past sins. It was heart wrenching to see the physical and mental torture she had to endure through adulthood. She's such a amazing character. Even her attempted suicide was meant to a be selfless act. I glad that she had her own redemption and is on the path to self love.

I'm so angry but somehow I still liked this movie alot haha. Yuzuru was a shining beacon. Dealing with the family dynamics of divorce, a strict mother, a sister that has special needs, and her own gender identity - she was very well adjusted youngster. Tomohiro is the best friend every person deserves. Even through Ishida's past - Tomohiro saw him for the amazing person he had become and was willing to go the extra mile for the friendship. Also seeing the two single mothers end up as friends at the end - that was beautiful.

I honestly don't mind if Shoko and Ishida do not end up together romantically. They have both been so sheltered and then there's the whole Stockholm syndrome thing. If they're best friends that will be just as awesome. I really hope they get to be people who are loved and have friends throughout their lives. I also hope that that Ishida bonds with his sister - we never got to see her face.

I can type forever so let me stop now and give this a 9/10! The OST is also worth listening too 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2019 5:06 PM

Apr 2008
I watched this without reading the manga first and felt that it was difficult to follow. I liked the premise and the message though.

I read the manga right after which helped shed some light on the plot holes and lack of structure in the movie adaptation. Interesting to learn more about the side characters.
Sep 18, 2019 10:46 PM

Mar 2019
Great psychological anime movie. As others have said it's a powerful story. Even though it's stereotypical it would've been cute if Ishida and Shoko became a couple officially finding love despite difficulty. Or maybe "teach me how to live" counts. Ueno was annoying though and took me out of the story, it didn't make sense to insist the cast of characters would forgive her and let her hang out with them... unless this is to say don't hang out with people like Ueno. The megane girl didn't do much to defend Shoko, sheesh she wasn't that innocent lol and she might be more of a coward than the tall girl who had a difficult home life due to poverty. Nature tone scenes near the end with the koi and ripples in the water were lovely.
Sep 20, 2019 12:09 AM

Sep 2009
One of the best anime films...
Sep 24, 2019 1:05 PM

Apr 2016
I had this saved to my Netflix queue, but apparently Netflix never stocked the DVD. Finally got to see it with a Discord group. It was surprisingly more tolerable than I had thought it would be, being a borderline good film! That said, it once again strays too far into classic KyoAni melodrama at points with characters running away from the most puerile of statements, scenes where an moe blob girl runs away crying to swelling music, melodramatic grand pianos, and so forth. Your usual KyoAni production. It also began to drag during the last 25 minutes, pretty meh ending. The English dub is excellent!
Oct 10, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 2019
I love this movie and i want another ending! I'm crying very loud when watching this
(ಥ﹏ಥ) God why Shoya, Kawaii, and Ueno bullying this angel?

Anyone who hasn't read the manga must read it.
Oct 14, 2019 9:32 PM

Sep 2010
Enjoyable, liked it a lot.
Nov 6, 2019 3:01 AM
Oct 2019
This movie is unbelievable
Dec 14, 2019 5:43 PM

Oct 2013
It was a surprisingly good movie. In some respects, I feel I've just aged beyond this sort of teen drama. Even in this movie where it feels well done, all of the angst was a bit much sometimes. Although the bit where Shouya dismantles his entire friend group by telling them all what's wrong with them was supremely relatable.

Additionally, there were some bizarre moments, like the entire exchange after the timeskip with Shouya and his mom... that was an incredibly bizarre way to handle a suicide scene. Like Shouya's mom found out her son is preparing to kill himself, and he even sells all of his belongings, and it's turned into some sort of pseudo-comedy scene. It was very untactful.

But it was a wholesome, heartwarming, and sad story about redemption and I liked it for that. The cast is surprisingly nuanced for a 2 hour anime film, even the "unlikeable" characters, more so than a lot of full anime series. The leads were very likeable, although Shoko struck me as kind of... stereotypical.

And the last half hour in particular about the point Shoko tries to suicide was emotionally evocative. I liked it a lot.

Not the 9+ top 5 greatest film of all time MAL would have me believe, but it was still very good.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 20, 2019 9:39 PM
Aug 2019
I felt like crap for the last two weeks and this movie made me feel better.
Pages (15) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.