New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 4, 2019 1:33 AM

Oct 2008
Squealer (Shinsekai yori)
Orihara Izaya (Durarara)
Esdeath (Akame ga kill)
Ulith (WIXOSS)
Piena Augustra, Nashetania Loei (Rokka no Yuusha)

In this order.
May 4, 2019 1:36 AM
Mar 2018
Meruem, Chrollo Lucilfer , Hisoka these guys were cool af
May 4, 2019 3:00 AM

Aug 2018
Hikki_a1 said:
Yaaki said:
Definitely Ichimaru Gin from Bleach. His whole character, irresistable and honest smile, they way he speaks, but above all, his whole behaviour and the reason why he did what he did <3.

I am going to watch Bleach during the summer break. Once I watch it depending on his character I may like him a lot :D

As someone who loves Bleach, as well as Gin, trust me, you won’t regret watching Bleach during your summer break.
"Of what worth is a king who fails to protect the powerless?" —Saber, Fate/Zero
May 4, 2019 3:32 AM

Mar 2019
My favorite villain/antagonist is madara uchiha because is so strong and I realy liked his ideals,also I like lite yagami and aizen.
May 4, 2019 3:36 AM

Oct 2017
Lasha123 said:
My favorite villain/antagonist is madara uchiha because is so strong and I realy liked his ideals,also I like lite yagami and aizen.

Madara is a badass such a good villain, definitely one of my favourites :D

Kaguya in Naruto is not a good villain, I really hated her as the final boss.
May 4, 2019 3:39 AM

Oct 2017
Astariya said:
Hikki_a1 said:

I am going to watch Bleach during the summer break. Once I watch it depending on his character I may like him a lot :D

As someone who loves Bleach, as well as Gin, trust me, you won’t regret watching Bleach during your summer break.

I want to watch Bleach now but I have exams coming up so instead I am watching other shorter anime.
May 4, 2019 3:47 AM
Jan 2019
Hmm... let me think

I like Sōsuke Aizen for bleach
Has planning was amazingly done he is simple but powerful and mastermind
May 4, 2019 3:55 AM

May 2013
Hmm I have so many favorites.. Chrollo Lucilfer and Hisoka from HxH, Gilgamesh from Fate, Stain from BNHA and the Deadly Sins from FMA. They are all extremely evil..

May 4, 2019 4:12 AM

Apr 2017
My favorite antagonist would be probably Kaiki from Monogatari, along with Kirei from F/Z and F/SN. I think that Kyubei from Madoka Magica and Kira from JoJo part 4 also deserve a mention.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 4, 2019 4:26 AM

Oct 2017
Steiner1411 said:

Hunter x Hunter has some of the best villains :D
May 4, 2019 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
That villain from Nadia was one of the most cunning ones I've seen considering he led an evil organization

shadowblaster5 said:
It'd have to be Mereum or Doflamingo.

May 4, 2019 4:33 AM
Mar 2019
My favourite villain from anime is naruto shippuden
May 4, 2019 7:21 AM
Mar 2018
Hikki_a1 said:
Steiner1411 said:

I'm just sad that we couldnt see more of Chrollo Lucilfer lol, his life is basically a mystery xd
May 4, 2019 7:30 AM
Jan 2015
I would probably say Johan Liebert from Monster. Another contender is Makishima from Psycho Pass.
May 4, 2019 11:31 AM

Oct 2017
Synchrohayba said:

Hahahaha, eventhough I am a Naruto fan this was very funny lol.
May 4, 2019 11:34 AM

Oct 2017
Steiner1411 said:
Hikki_a1 said:

I'm just sad that we couldnt see more of Chrollo Lucilfer lol, his life is basically a mystery xd

We have to wait for the manga but at this rate I don't think it will come anytime soon lol.
May 4, 2019 12:01 PM
Mar 2019
Hisoka in HxH 2011
L in Death Note
Envy in FMA Brotherhood
May 4, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2017
The president of the united states aka Valentine
And also the Phantom Troupe
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2019 1:03 PM

Mar 2019
I think one of my favorite villain characters is Hisoka from HxH and other would be Dio from Jojo
Arti-JoestarMay 4, 2019 1:06 PM
May 4, 2019 1:45 PM

Jul 2015
People often talk about how a good story needs a good villain, but that's not true. It just needs some kind of challenge for the protagonist to overcome, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a conscious entity. If you look at a movie like Cast Away, there is no villain. It's just a guy struggling to survive on a desert island. The wilderness is his antagonistic force.

The common understanding of the relationship is that the protagonist (the main character) is a good guy, the antagonist is a villain, and they fight. But understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist. An antagonist is simply anyone who is in opposition to the protagonist, and morality has nothing to do with it. In Toy Story, you might think Sid is the antagonist because he breaks toys, but he's not. He's a minor villain. The main villain is actually Woody, but he's also the protagonist, while Buzz is the antagonist. Buzz is the antagonist because he (unwittingly) steals the spotlight from Woody, and Woody is the villain because he tries to get rid of Buzz through dishonorable means.

It's not uncommon for the protagonist to also be the villain, because what defines the protagonist is simply being the character who the story is about. In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Plainview is a villain protagonist, and the antagonist is Eli Sunday, the guy who runs the church. In A Clockwork Orange, Alex DeLarge is a villain protagonist, and the antagonists are Dr. Branom, the doctor who subjects Alex to the Ludovico treatment, and F. Alexander, who seeks revenge on Alex for raping his wife.

When you think in terms of "good guy vs bad guy", you limit the dynamics of the story and oversimplify things. If the antagonist wants something bad, he should have a some justification for it. That justification doesn't have to be good, but it should at least be understandable to the audience because everybody sees themselves as the good guy, even villains (unless the point of your story is that the antagonist has accepted that they are a monster and embraced it as some kind of attack against a society he perceives as having wronged him, but that's getting off-topic). It's more useful to think in terms of "one guy vs another guy" because, when you boil the story down, the protagonist and antagonist usually want the same thing, just for different reasons. When a knight in shining armor goes to rescue a princess from an evil wizard, they are both fighting over the princess. When a police officer is trying to stop a gang leader, it's because they're both fighting for control of the streets.

The protagonist is not a good guy. He's just who the story is about. The antagonist is not a villain. He's just the one who competes with the protagonist, usually over the same goal.

That surely was more than 30 characters.

May 4, 2019 3:40 PM

Dec 2017
Gendo Ikari and Makishima Shogo come to mind

Also I kind of forgot Akane Shinjo
but she's also a great villain
KlldbyCuriosityMay 4, 2019 3:43 PM

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

May 4, 2019 4:02 PM

Oct 2017
Piromysl said:
People often talk about how a good story needs a good villain, but that's not true. It just needs some kind of challenge for the protagonist to overcome, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a conscious entity. If you look at a movie like Cast Away, there is no villain. It's just a guy struggling to survive on a desert island. The wilderness is his antagonistic force.

The common understanding of the relationship is that the protagonist (the main character) is a good guy, the antagonist is a villain, and they fight. But understand the difference between a villain and an antagonist. An antagonist is simply anyone who is in opposition to the protagonist, and morality has nothing to do with it. In Toy Story, you might think Sid is the antagonist because he breaks toys, but he's not. He's a minor villain. The main villain is actually Woody, but he's also the protagonist, while Buzz is the antagonist. Buzz is the antagonist because he (unwittingly) steals the spotlight from Woody, and Woody is the villain because he tries to get rid of Buzz through dishonorable means.

It's not uncommon for the protagonist to also be the villain, because what defines the protagonist is simply being the character who the story is about. In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Plainview is a villain protagonist, and the antagonist is Eli Sunday, the guy who runs the church. In A Clockwork Orange, Alex DeLarge is a villain protagonist, and the antagonists are Dr. Branom, the doctor who subjects Alex to the Ludovico treatment, and F. Alexander, who seeks revenge on Alex for raping his wife.

When you think in terms of "good guy vs bad guy", you limit the dynamics of the story and oversimplify things. If the antagonist wants something bad, he should have a some justification for it. That justification doesn't have to be good, but it should at least be understandable to the audience because everybody sees themselves as the good guy, even villains (unless the point of your story is that the antagonist has accepted that they are a monster and embraced it as some kind of attack against a society he perceives as having wronged him, but that's getting off-topic). It's more useful to think in terms of "one guy vs another guy" because, when you boil the story down, the protagonist and antagonist usually want the same thing, just for different reasons. When a knight in shining armor goes to rescue a princess from an evil wizard, they are both fighting over the princess. When a police officer is trying to stop a gang leader, it's because they're both fighting for control of the streets.

The protagonist is not a good guy. He's just who the story is about. The antagonist is not a villain. He's just the one who competes with the protagonist, usually over the same goal.

WOW really nice explanation!!! I never thought of it like this. You used some nice examples within your writing :D
May 4, 2019 4:11 PM

Nov 2013
Queen Promethium (Toki no Wa), hands down.
May 4, 2019 5:04 PM

Oct 2017
spaceinvaderlum said:
Queen Promethium (Toki no Wa), hands down.

What makes her your favourite villain?
May 4, 2019 5:05 PM

Jan 2009
Kumagawa Misogi from Medaka Box but he barely appeared on the anime version and he was more awesome on the manga
May 4, 2019 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori. Liked his buildup throughout the series and made the last arc incredibly captivating and memorable.
May 4, 2019 5:57 PM

Jul 2017
here my favourite character list is mainly composed of vilains, (14/17) I removed the non villains:
if you have questions I will happily answer all of these characters are great villains and if you like antagonists and such you will probably like these characters
favourite ever

amazing

great

Nick-Knight said:
Gilgamesh. Badass, well-written, prideful, awesome characterization and superb design.
his relation with kirei made him and kirei great characters. they are so interesting together!
May 4, 2019 6:04 PM
Jan 2019
I got 2 main contenders for this.

Dio Brando from Jojo
All For One from My Hero Academia
May 4, 2019 6:11 PM

Jul 2017
BigAristotle94 said:
Hikki_a1 said:
My favourite villain/antagonist would have to be Pain from Naruto. I really liked his ideals and the way hee views things. Also his quotes are amazing :D

Pain was an awesome antagonist! He was definitely my favorite in the series. My favorite villian all time though? To many to choose from. Makishima (Psycho Pass), Griffith (Berserk), or even Don Quixote (One Piece) are good contenders for me. I like them because they're ruthless bastards. There is no changing their ideologies mid fight. They're cold and calculating, just great villians all around.
I'm curious, what did you think of hunter x hunter and it's antagonists? they are up there(as you can see in my list on my post above if you're interested) in terms of great characters along with griffith and makishima
Piromysl said:

I sure agree but nobody said that a story NEEDED a good antagonist did they?
May 4, 2019 6:13 PM

Oct 2017
Zehennagel said:
here my favourite character list is mainly composed of vilains, (14/17) I removed the non villains:
if you have questions I will happily answer all of these characters are great villains and if you like antagonists and such you will probably like these characters
favourite ever

amazing

great

Nick-Knight said:
Gilgamesh. Badass, well-written, prideful, awesome characterization and superb design.
his relation with kirei made him and kirei great characters. they are so interesting together!

Who is the character on the left of your favourite villain list?
May 4, 2019 6:15 PM
Oct 2018
Wham from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency. I really like him because he's an antagonist that recognizes and respects the hero's powers but stills very loyal to his own beliefs. Wham is a honorable, pure and honest warrior.
May 4, 2019 6:17 PM

Jul 2017
Hikki_a1 said:
Zehennagel said:
favourite ever

amazing

great

griffith, yes he is griffith. griffith griffth
May 4, 2019 6:18 PM

Oct 2017
alphasiddy said:
I got 2 main contenders for this.

Dio Brando from Jojo
All For One from My Hero Academia

All for One is a pretty decent villain but I prefer Stain much more.
May 4, 2019 6:19 PM

Oct 2017
Zehennagel said:
Hikki_a1 said:

griffith, yes he is griffith. griffith griffth

I haven't read Beserk yet lol so I didn't know.
May 4, 2019 6:31 PM

Jul 2009
Not sure if these count but...

'Time' in Steins Gate.
Ainz from Overlord (he's the protagonist).

"Proper" answer- Aizen from Bleach, although he's cliche in several ways he was intimidating at least. Griffith from Berserk is a good choice too.
May 4, 2019 6:50 PM
Jan 2015
Gilgamesh, but he's infinity better when he's a protagonist.

Otherwise I also love Madara, Aizen, and Frieza.
My Queens

May 4, 2019 6:53 PM

Mar 2019
Runaway_ said:
I think mine is Chrollo Lucilfer from HxH or even the Phantom Troupe as a whole, they are fucking amazing.

This. Glad someone named the Troupe. Honestly so well designed.
May 4, 2019 6:55 PM
Mar 2019
Being X from youjo senki is one of my fav antagonist
May 4, 2019 6:55 PM

Feb 2017
ladd russo from baccano makes me tingly
May 4, 2019 7:25 PM

Aug 2018
Zehennagel said:

I'd have to agree with your list in saying that Hisoka was definitely my favorite antagonist from the HxH series followed by Meruem and Chrollo.

I also see you have Thorkell (or at least I think that's him) and Mozgus on your list which is funny because I just got their introductions in their respective manga and I immediately got a feeling they would be great antagonist! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they pan out. I knew Askelad would be a cunning bastard from the start. I need to get my hands on some more volumes.
May 4, 2019 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Izaya Orihara from Durarara. I like how toys with people and just all around a very interesting villain.

I like most of the villains from Boku no Hero Academia, especially Shigaraki.

Gilgamesh is also a great villain, so vain and narcissistic.
May 4, 2019 8:06 PM
Mar 2019
Hikki_a1 said:
Synchrohayba said:

Hahahaha, eventhough I am a Naruto fan this was very funny lol.
why dude , what is your opinion about madara
May 4, 2019 9:17 PM

Jan 2019
mine is kaiki deshu from monogatari series.

cl_skinnyguyMay 4, 2019 9:22 PM
May 4, 2019 9:31 PM

Oct 2017
Leleouch is my favorite antagonist.
Just the way how he deals with everything even killing his own friends if they get on his way.
''The sacrifice for the grater good and the outcome justifies'' just makes him intriguing.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
May 4, 2019 10:12 PM
Nov 2018
Lordgenome from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,if he's allowed to be called a villain
May 4, 2019 10:19 PM

Mar 2017
Mine is Takasugi Shinsuke from Gintama. Villain Tropes is often "bad guy" has a goal and "good guy" is the one who can defeat him or "good guy" has a goal "bad guy" is the obstacle that stopping him to making progress. I like tropes when protagonist and antagonist has same goal, but they choose different aproach of method to achieve it. First i think Takasugi has a trope of "bad guy" who want just to destroy everything, but as far i know, he has the same goal as Gintoki, as it to "save" their teacher. Their philosphy that they gained and believed is came from their past tragedy with their teacher. Takasugi's "destroy everything", Gintoki's "protect everything", or Katsura's "reform everything".

"What's wrong, Araragi-senpai ?"

May 4, 2019 10:19 PM
Feb 2015
L from death note i kinda hate him but i love him at the same time lol but nonetheless he’s definitely my favorite antagonist
May 4, 2019 10:22 PM

Jun 2017
for me, it is Tanya Degurechaff from Youjo Senki
"You can't tell how brightly you sparkle on your own. You don't have to reach your goal to sparkle. The way you deal with all your inner concerns and inner conflicts... The process itself, as you can see, is just as beautiful."
- Ayato Matsumae (Hanasaku Iroha - Home Sweet Home)
May 4, 2019 10:29 PM

Oct 2018
Satsuki from Kill la Kill cus she is just beautiful

In terms of writing and character development, I would say Corona in Soul Eater or the teams in Haikyuu.

Prince Zuko from avatar definitely deserves to be at the top but I do no know how it fairs with the anime community lol.

youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
May 4, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2019
Accelerator (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S)
Esdeath (Akame ga Kill!)
L (Death Note)
Gilgamesh (Fate/stay night)
Petelgeuse (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
Himiko Toga (Boku no Hero Academia)
Shogo Makishima (Psycho-Pass)
Kurumi Tokisaki (Date A Live)
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

28 by Luc36 »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

165 by JessicaKari »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

20 by LNW_R92CP »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 59 minutes ago

11 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 3 hours ago

11 by LightWorker »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.