Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why is a crappy anime such as Cowboy Bebop so popular with mainstream audiences?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 2019 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
Cowboy Bebop is one of the worst anime I have ever attempted to watch yet so many people claim it is the best anime ever. What is there to like about it? It's so damn dry and boring.
Fuck off then there’s no fucking reason to trigger fans plus Call Of Duty is more overrated than Bebop!
May 3, 2019 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
Cowboy Bebop is one of the worst anime I have ever attempted to watch yet so many people claim it is the best anime ever. What is there to like about it? It's so damn dry and boring.
Many things are popular so get used to it!
May 3, 2019 4:16 AM

Oct 2010
Well, @Maneki-Mew, it's hardly unexpected because the thread is just unnecessary flamebait.

Anyway, to the OP, this question has been answered many times, there's always some guy who asks why is this show so great. I recommend you to check the series forum and the various threads made about this and then get your answers.
May 3, 2019 4:22 AM

Jul 2007
@pullman since you are a coward who blocks direct communication and deletes comments:

There's something wrong with posting on an anime forum even when you're 12, but at least it's somewhat excusable by and appropriate for the expected maturity level of that age.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 3, 2019 4:26 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Greyleaf said:

When I claim that Mushishi is objectively a technical masterpiece, that's setting aside all bias and personal preference, looking specifically at what the writer and director were trying to accomplish and how well they went about executing that idea. The exposition itself conveyed exactly what it was meant to, but maintained an air of brevity; this allowed the iyashikei elements of the show, namely the art and scenery, to give the viewer time to reflect on the philosophical nature of the current story. Each episode worked as a unique study on some kind of mental illness or hardship, telling the reality of those struggles through metaphorical storytelling. I'll leave it at that for now.. I could go on for a while about this.

I used to be a film critic before I got into anime. I can tell you right now that a lot of shows I consider favorites of mine are flawed on many levels, but I recognize those flaws and can easily dismiss them in favor of the things I like (as with movies or anything else). Mushishi isn't even something I consider a favorite of mine, but I know a technical masterpiece when I see it. As I said before, it's fine to claim that it's boring. But to say it's bad is a flat out lie.

well for normal fans like me boring and bad are similar or related words

heck lets face it critics like yourself have a bad reputation this days like i remember critics saying bad stuff about Venom movie but it was a massive hit anyway, same with those Academy awards stuff that usually pick obscure movies

Nah I totally hear you, dude. I haven't done any critical writing or anything in ages.. it was mainly something I did around the time I was in college and whatnot. Frankly I don't care too much about picking things apart anymore, but every now and again I just come across a show I feel a need to defend. But as I said, I'm perfectly fine with you not enjoying it and respect that. To each their own ^_^

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 3, 2019 4:26 AM

May 2015
Well, I didn't enjoy it all that much either but it still had good production quality, that alone makes it not crappy.

I think it doesn't feel special because it's a bit outdated nowadays and if you try watching it after hundreds of other anime then of course it won't be special. I imagine, when it just came out the majority of people saw it among other 1-10 (probably not good) anime to compare, so naturally it would stick out. And now it just reached the nostalgia effect.

So I don't really see a point in trying to argue the classics. You know, it's not like some acclaimed classics in literature aren't boring, maybe with anime it's becoming this way too for older stuff.
May 3, 2019 4:29 AM

Jan 2009
Greyleaf said:
deg said:

well for normal fans like me boring and bad are similar or related words

heck lets face it critics like yourself have a bad reputation this days like i remember critics saying bad stuff about Venom movie but it was a massive hit anyway, same with those Academy awards stuff that usually pick obscure movies

Nah I totally hear you, dude. I haven't done any critical writing or anything in ages.. it was mainly something I did around the time I was in college and whatnot. Frankly I don't care too much about picking things apart anymore, but every now and again I just come across a show I feel a need to defend. But as I said, I'm perfectly fine with you not enjoying it and respect that. To each their own ^_^

oh shit i did not expect a peaceful response to that lol

nice talking to you dude
May 3, 2019 4:32 AM
Jan 2018
Same reason why classic movies are still loved centurys or decade's later ..
They are classics and are great for their time
May 3, 2019 4:36 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Greyleaf said:

oh shit i did not expect a peaceful response to that lol

nice talking to you dude

Kill 'em with kindness. ;)

Nah, jokes aside, I just don't like arguing. There's no point in bashing each others' opinions; it's a waste of time and neither party has anything to gain from the conversation. People are bound to disagree with anything you say, but I guess it's all in how you handle it.

Nice talking with you as well!

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 3, 2019 4:39 AM

May 2018
MountainOfIrony said:

At least you're are not brainwashed

Actually my generation was brainwashed twice:
- First that every capitalistic counrty is evil and fascist by default.
- Second, after the fall of the Eastern Block that every communist is evil maniac...but I knew my grandfather. He was a nice man and he fought against the Germans in 1944 and 1945 when our country turned against it's ex allies...and it was bloody and messy fight (have being told by other direct participants). Also he and his bothers were anti-fasists not russian puppets or something.
On the other hand my other great-grandfather (the one not robed multiple times and at the end beaten to death by fascists) was sentenced to year in prison for saying in public around 1949 something like "Stalin sucks.".
So iconic evil persons or not, political labeling or not, authoritarian regimes suck in totally non ironic ways.

PS
So my father's generation was brainwashed by 3 different ideologies...ha!
alshuMay 3, 2019 4:58 AM
May 3, 2019 4:42 AM

Jul 2017
That's just your opinion. As you might already know, opinions differ from person to person. That's why some people like that show, and that's also why some people dislike that show. Simple as that. Just deal with it.
May 3, 2019 4:45 AM
Jan 2018
AkihitoZero5454 said:
EndlessMaria said:
Fuck off then there’s no fucking reason to trigger fans plus Call Of Duty is more overrated than Bebop!
AkihitoZero5454 said:
EndlessMaria said:

Fornite has taken the call of duty spot its the new COD
May 3, 2019 4:50 AM

Apr 2015
I'm fairly certain this is bait, but I'll indulge you.

It has great music, a great story, and lacks some of the elements that turn mainstream audiences off from other anime.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 3, 2019 4:51 AM

Oct 2010
I found bebop boring and uninteresting, but don't take my word for it, I gave Keijo a 9. It's just a matter of taste, some people love bebop and that's fine. It's popular because it was kinda the only good show in those years, so people just watched it and enjoyed it. And ed is the most annoying character ever and faye is not as sexi as she thinks.
May 3, 2019 4:51 AM

Jan 2013
EndlessMaria said:
>Why is a crappy anime such as Cowboy Bebop so popular with mainstream audiences?

Western audience you mean.
And gee i wonder why, maybe it has something to with the setting and the callbacks it does to Western tv shows and films.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 3, 2019 4:56 AM

Jul 2007
Cabron said:
EndlessMaria said:
>Why is a crappy anime such as Cowboy Bebop so popular with mainstream audiences?

And gee i wonder why, maybe it has something to with the setting and the callbacks it does to Western tv shows and films.

See this makes the most sense. I never cared for the style of western made movies or tv shows. Like at all.

When it comes to more recent shit, I can't stand Game of Thrones or the Avengers films.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 2012
Being popular or mainstream doesn't indicate quality, it simply means that a show has appeal that can attract many people into watching something.

Your question is poor bait and makes no sense.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka

Oct 2010
Cabron said:
EndlessMaria said:

(Cowboy Bebop was very popular among Japanese audiences as well though)

Edit.- Since the thread was locked while I typed, I'll answer here, sorry for the inconvenience:

deg said:

really? do you have a source for that?

Yep. It had very high disc sales both at the time and in the re-release. At the time at least, it was.

Cabron said:
That's true, but wasn't it more popular in the West?

Pretty much, I was just pointing that out because people seem to believe that Cowboy Bebop is such a Western-targeted show that people reject it in Japan or something, when it actually is a classic there, it was popular and it sold far better than the vast majority of seasonals nowadays.
jal90May 3, 2019 5:28 AM
May 3, 2019 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
@Greyleaf

you are a rare kind on this forums *salutes for respect*

Cabron said:
EndlessMaria said:

thats a great point you made, ye i heard that Cowboy Bebop is not that popular in Japan but its massively popular with the western fans because of the things you pointed out

jal90 said:
Cabron said:

really? do you have a source for that?
May 3, 2019 4:58 AM

Jan 2013
Jim_Heart said:
The number one answer is the fucking music ...
Number two answer is because it is not bad really.. Character design and animation are also in top notch..
The next reason is because it is episodic, it has some good stories/episodes.. I am personally not a big fan of the main plot (Spike and Vicious story), but I liked some episodes ...

And for people above who said that Mushishi is bad, please it is only because you have a shit taste lol ...
Lmao please, only one person @deg criticized it calling it boring not bad. So I'm not sure what you're on about.

May 3, 2019 4:59 AM
Sep 2018
for a post that most definitely should be on r/unpopularopinions there is not much i can say to a guy or favors DBS over cowboy bebop when one is new and one is old, cowboy bebop sticks out way more out of those two shows for just being so damn entertaining and having a brilliant cast of characters that the show follows as their respective stories continue on (unlike in DBS)
May 3, 2019 5:03 AM

Jan 2009
Cabron said:
Jim_Heart said:
The number one answer is the fucking music ...
Number two answer is because it is not bad really.. Character design and animation are also in top notch..
The next reason is because it is episodic, it has some good stories/episodes.. I am personally not a big fan of the main plot (Spike and Vicious story), but I liked some episodes ...

And for people above who said that Mushishi is bad, please it is only because you have a shit taste lol ...
Lmao please, only one person @deg criticized it calling it boring not bad. So I'm not sure what you're on about.

its fine for normal fans boring and bad are related words, i still given Mushishi a respectable score here on MAL just because of how good the visual quality is
May 3, 2019 5:05 AM

Jan 2013
deg said:
Cabron said:

its fine for normal fans boring and bad are related words, i still given Mushishi a respectable score here on MAL just because of how good the visual quality is
Haha yeah, I was once like that as well.
Embarrassing...

jal90 said:
Cabron said:

That's true, but wasn't it more popular in the West?
CabronMay 3, 2019 5:10 AM

May 3, 2019 5:14 AM

Jan 2018
MountainOfIrony said:
Dave_Adrian said:

You are one edgy son of a gun you know that..

4edgy6me

If he doesn't know that then I don't think that he will believe you. And if he knows that then he doesn't care. So please stop telling people that they are edgy or that there mom is a whore.

Bruhh I don't see the problem calling someone 'edgy', and I definitely didn't stoop low enough to call his mother a whore.. didn't call him a son of a bitch thats for sure..

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 3, 2019 5:19 AM

Jan 2009
Cabron said:
deg said:

Haha yeah, I was once like that as well.
Embarrassing...

im one of those normal fans too lol but ye i just find the story part as bad (or boring) and not the other things about the anime like production values that i find very good for its time
May 3, 2019 5:21 AM

Jul 2007
prophet_dan said:
for a post that most definitely should be on r/unpopularopinions there is not much i can say to a guy or favors DBS over cowboy bebop when one is new and one is old, cowboy bebop sticks out way more out of those two shows for just being so damn entertaining and having a brilliant cast of characters that the show follows as their respective stories continue on (unlike in DBS)

Please explain why cowboy bebop has supposedly great characters. It had a dumb drooling dog who is smarter than the human cast. It can never compare to the quality of DBS.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 3, 2019 5:23 AM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion and locked

If you want to discuss whether or not certain shows are overrated, this is the thread to do it in. And frankly this thread also reeks of bait.
LoveLikeBloodMay 3, 2019 5:37 AM
Take care of yourself

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Yesterday, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

206 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:02 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FighterZ - May 7, 2008

141 by nikola_xh »»
Apr 13, 3:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.