Forum Settings
Forums

Additional 'Vinland Saga' Voice Cast Announced

New
Apr 24, 2019 2:39 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The official website of the Vinland Saga television anime revealed the second promotional video, the third key visual (pictured), and four supporting cast members on Wednesday. The anime series will begin airing on July 8 at 12:10 a.m. on NHK General and run for 24 episodes. Amazon's Prime Video service will debut the first episode ahead of the television broadcast in Japan on July 7.

Cast
Askeladd: Naoya Uchida (Drifters)
Canute: Kensho Ono (Owari no Seraph)
Thorkell: Akio Ootsuka (Ghost in the Shell)
Bjorn: Hiroki Yasumoto (ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka)

Shuuhei Yabuta (Inuyashiki) is directing the anime at Wit Studio, featuring character designs by Takahiko Abiru (Hunter x Hunter (2011) animation director). Hiroshi Seko (Banana Fish) is in charge of the series composition and also writing the script with Kenta Ihara (Youjo Senki).

The viking-themed manga by Makoto Yukimura originally launched in Weekly Shounen Magazine in April 2005 before moving the monthly Afternoon magazine in December that year. Kodansha plans to publish the 22nd compiled volume on June 21. Vinland Saga has a cumulative 5 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

Kodansha Comics began publishing the series in English in 2-in-1 omnibus format in October 2013, and shipped the tenth volume on June 5, which covers volumes 19 and 20.

The anime will have an advance screening on June 2 at the Shinjuku Wald 9 theater in Tokyo, where director Yabuta and cast members Shizuka Ishigami, Yuuto Uemura, and Kenichirou Matsuda will make an appearance.

PV 2

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotDec 28, 2019 10:24 PM

Apr 24, 2019 2:42 AM

Jan 2009
i got high hopes for this, im hearing it will be the next Attack on Titan
Apr 24, 2019 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:

It's nothing like Attack on Titan, though. Don't even know why people keep comparing those two, only common factors are that they have the same studio and action scenes.

On topic, looks decent, but I will be keeping my expectations low for this adaptation.
Apr 24, 2019 2:48 AM

Jan 2009
Frostbytes said:
deg said:

It's nothing like Attack on Titan, though. Don't even know why people keep comparing those two, only common factors are that they have the same studio and action scenes.

On topic, looks decent, but I will be keeping my expectations low for this adaptation.

maybe because of the old history setting, lots of action, and also being mature or more serious in tone overall thats just my take on it but ye i have not read the source material for this
Apr 24, 2019 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Frostbytes said:

maybe because of the old history setting, lots of action, and also being mature or more serious in tone overall thats just my take on it but ye i have not read the source material for this

1. Attack on Titan doesn't have old historical setting like Vinland saga
2. They have totally different tones
Apr 24, 2019 2:55 AM

Jan 2009
Frostbytes said:
deg said:

1. Attack on Titan doesn't have old historical setting like Vinland saga
2. They have totally different tones

well ok thats just my impression from the PVs anyway
Apr 24, 2019 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
Skana said:
@Frostbytes

Probably @Deg wanted to say "The next AOT" in terms of popularity as it could became the new "Hit" on the anime industry/MAL rather "Similar" to AOT.

OT: The PV looks fantastic and considering the events that showed it will probably be 2-cour.

Too bad that if it ever gets season 2, some "fans" of season 1 would instantly drop it in the first few episodes of second season.
Apr 24, 2019 3:14 AM

Jan 2009
Skana said:
@Frostbytes

Probably @Deg wanted to say "The next AOT" in terms of popularity as it could became the new "Hit" on the anime industry/MAL rather "Similar" to AOT.

ye that too, but his arguments makes sense too though since i hear a lot of people around the internet comparing it to Attack on Titan in both popularity potential and show similarities in the PV alone lol
Apr 24, 2019 3:16 AM

May 2012
I'm happy that it is getting 24 episodes

Frostbytes said:
Skana said:
@Frostbytes

OT: The PV looks fantastic and considering the events that showed it will probably be 2-cour.

Too bad that if it ever gets season 2, some "fans" of season 1 would instantly drop it in the first few episodes of second season.

Why ?

I don't have problem if I get spoiled
Apr 24, 2019 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
thepath said:
Frostbytes said:

Why ?

Because

Apr 24, 2019 3:21 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Amazing stuff, super hyped to see it coming in the Summer and that too with 2 cours to boot! I’m very fond of the Vikings and have always to watch an anime series covering this and here it is! It’s going to be a dime, I know for sure! Stunning PV too, by the way. Some wonderful music to accompany during the first few minutes and there was an awesome track from the previous trailer so the Sound Department of this show must be pretty gold too!

Wit Studio have done stunning jobs with nearly each and every of their projects, looking forward to seeing this get that very treatment too! I hope this’ll aim for the stars and erupt within the anime industry just like Shingeki no Kyojin did back in 2013 but I’ll keep my hopes for that to a minimal. A little worried regarding the usage of CGI, there was a scene from the last trailer that looked really jarring of sorts but overall it looks just about fine.

Summer season was already really good, but now it’s just even better!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 24, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
So hyped for this!!! I’ll pick up the manga again from where I stopped.
Apr 24, 2019 3:22 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm looking good so far. Only thing that worries me is the lack of female characters so far, I prefer a more balanced cast when it comes to that.
Apr 24, 2019 3:42 AM

Feb 2019
This anime is so hyped up that i feel is gonna get lots of backlash when it finally airs, same thing happened to VEG.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 24, 2019 3:43 AM

Jan 2009
Luna_Estlin said:
This anime is so hyped up that i feel is gonna get lots of backlash when it finally airs, same thing happened to VEG.

whats VEG? im not aware of any anime like that

Apr 2013
Marrone said:
Gator said:
Hmm looking good so far. Only thing that worries me is the lack of female characters so far, I prefer a more balanced cast when it comes to that.

more female characters are introduced as the story progresses. its set at a time where society was primarily male dominated but there are some good female characters dont worry.

Good to hear that. I know it makes sense when it comes to the story and context, I just rather have something unrealistic I enjoy than something realistic that I don't. Will watch it anyway of course since it seems interesting, I just hope it won't be such a sausage fest like HxH xD

Apr 2014
This looks delicious, there was not a single title I was looking forward to in summer season till now.
Apr 24, 2019 3:44 AM

Feb 2019
deg said:
Luna_Estlin said:

Violet Evergarden

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 24, 2019 3:47 AM

Jan 2009
Luna_Estlin said:
deg said:

Violet Evergarden

ah ok, i did not watch that one but that sure is a popular anime that i heard too
Apr 24, 2019 3:52 AM

Jan 2013
Whoo boy.
I try to not get hyped about anything anymore (since 95 % of the time it's gonna be a disappointment), but this I can get hyped for.
Apr 24, 2019 3:58 AM

Oct 2010
They keenly avoided 3DCG scenes in this trailer...
Apr 24, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
Apr 24, 2019 5:18 AM
Apr 2017
Q: is there any fantasy or supernatural in this anime?
Apr 24, 2019 5:22 AM

Jul 2016
Summer season is stacked, next to winter season. The PV is good this is gonna be a hype anime. And its a two cour.

Apr 24, 2019 5:59 AM

Jun 2014
Looks amazing. I'm excited for this since Vinland is one of my favorite manga series. Since this is on NHK it already has chances to get more than one season.
:3
Apr 24, 2019 6:05 AM

Jul 2015
Looks great tbh

I'm glad this will have 2 cour
and it may even have more seasons
Apr 24, 2019 6:53 AM

Jan 2019
Yazan_Aot said:
No there isn't. It's a historical setting in the North Sea. Still really good and highly recommended!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Apr 24, 2019 11:10 AM

May 2015
So Madara as Askeladd and All for One as Thorkell? Nice.

Apr 24, 2019 11:55 AM

Oct 2017
Yazan_Aot said:

There are some visions the characters get (I don't think any in the arc they are adapting I don't remember) but outside of that is supposed to be loosely based historical fiction with a lot of the characters themselves based on real people (Leif Erikson and King Canute are prominent characters in it for instance). It takes place in the early 11th century during King Sweyn's and Canute's invasion of England. Yukimura was very much about historical accuracy regarding the design and some of the events though obviously the fight scenes are a little over the top.
Apr 24, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2017
Luna_Estlin said:

Is it getting really hyped up? I mean among those who have read the manga sure but I haven't seen much about outside of that.
Apr 24, 2019 12:19 PM
Sep 2018
Frostbytes said:
thepath said:

Why ?

Because

A lot of people like that arc you know. Speak for yourself.
Apr 24, 2019 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
Elessar44 said:
Frostbytes said:

Because

Good job missing the point of my comment then. I wasn't talking about manga fans, I was talking about anime watchers who would like season 1 for action obviously.
Apr 24, 2019 12:23 PM

Oct 2017
Elessar44 said:
Frostbytes said:

Because

I don't think he is bashing it just pointing out those in it purely for action might drop it. There is still a lot of action in Vinland but that arc is pretty different. I personally thought it was just as good as prologue due to the character development it helps if your reading it all in one go like I did than if you had to wait for months and months for the arc to progress.
Apr 24, 2019 12:25 PM

Oct 2017
Gator said:
Marrone said:

more female characters are introduced as the story progresses. its set at a time where society was primarily male dominated but there are some good female characters dont worry.

Good to hear that. I know it makes sense when it comes to the story and context, I just rather have something unrealistic I enjoy than something realistic that I don't. Will watch it anyway of course since it seems interesting, I just hope it won't be such a sausage fest like HxH xD

There are some prominent female characters that said its more limited in this arc (they are there just mostly side characters that the main cast encounters) we do get some more notable female characters as the story progress that do get added to the main cast but we would need to see another season or two for that to happen.
BilboBaggins365Apr 24, 2019 12:53 PM
Apr 24, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
finally a potential aotY show and two cour confirmation makes it even better. Really looking forward to this!
Apr 24, 2019 4:07 PM

Nov 2018
This is looking great so far I hope it won't disappoint
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Apr 24, 2019 6:35 PM

Aug 2016
deg said:

I read both and they have some similarities in the beginning in terms of plot and characters. So yes, it will be the next "AoT" and also in terms of how hyped it will be (big chances it will be one of the most popular anime this decade if adapted properly)

Berserk (Golden Age arc) and Cestvs are also 2 manga that share strong similarities with Vinland saga
:v
Apr 24, 2019 11:55 PM

Nov 2011
This second trailer looks really good.. First trailer is not good though ...
And 24 episodes is perfect for the first arc (about 8 volumes of manga) ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 25, 2019 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
MichaelJackson said:
deg said:

I read both and they have some similarities in the beginning in terms of plot and characters. So yes, it will be the next "AoT" and also in terms of how hyped it will be (big chances it will be one of the most popular anime this decade if adapted properly)

Berserk (Golden Age arc) and Cestvs are also 2 manga that share strong similarities with Vinland saga

i see thats nice to know
Apr 27, 2019 12:17 AM
Sep 2018
Frostbytes said:
Elessar44 said:

Good job missing the point of my comment then. I wasn't talking about manga fans, I was talking about anime watchers who would like season 1 for action obviously.

And I'm saying it'll likely be the same for a majority of the anime watchers
May 17, 2019 6:27 AM

Nov 2007
OP: "MUKANJYO" by Survive Said The Prophet
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1129371019469381633
Hiroki Yasumoto and Fujiyama Producer add to the pre-screening event.
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1129371260922847232
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
6 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
9 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.