Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 50 51 [52] 53 54 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2019 10:34 PM
Mar 2018
Overrated:
Mob Psycho 100 : I see nothing spectacular in this anime. An average school boy who has way too much power without any reason beats villains and thus it is too repetitive.

Black Clover : It has way too much cliches. Yet people love it so much.

Underrated :
Fairy Tail : Though it has fan service and nakama power,it gets way too much hate. One Piece, Naruto also has power of friendship but people always overlook them. Every series has flaws but in FT's case people always try to show these flaws and thus badmouth it. Fairy Tail has a great story and lovable characters with great sense of humor. I don't get it that people praise foolish op MC like mob but hate natsu for oneshotting acnologia. And also, it gets hate for plot armor, even though everyone's favorite hxh brought back kite through such foolish reincarnation! Comparing to that ,FT's methods are way more logical. Thus every hate regarding to FT is way too unfair
katharsis_3173Apr 14, 2019 10:37 PM
Apr 15, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2016
Demyx_IX said:
lunarxlunar said:

Your point is? Tell me more than 3 traits that doesn't include heroic and a nerdy introvert. (actually not even an introvert, he talks about how he stays at home all the time but has this perfect look of a stereotypical anime male protaonist and shows no signs of any social awkwardness)
He's not a shut in and never once claimed that he was. He said that he was a college student and a bit of an otaku.

So that proves my point even more?

I watched a different sub because english isn't my 1st language. Maybe that's a translation problem.
Apr 15, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Why has no one watched PriPara? That is so sad. It's a pretty enjoyable show with an amazing cast of characters and some of the most powerful emotional moments I've seen in anime. I'm sure most people would really enjoy it, but not only do most people not know it exists, most who do won't give it a chance. FeelsBadMan
Apr 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Nov 2010
I believe Welcome to the NHK is underrated. That anime is a masterpiece in my book!
Apr 16, 2019 8:58 AM
Mar 2018
I dont get even a slightest difference between HxH, DB and those alike; literally all of them are overrated. Ecchi mixed in this genre meanwhile isnt much appreciated, very dumb to say the least
Apr 16, 2019 2:08 PM

Jul 2014
NHK ni Youkoso! is overrated.
It is a good comedy show, but it fails as a social commentary.
I hope people avoid learning too many "life lessons" from that show.
Apr 18, 2019 3:21 PM
Mar 2019
Animes everyone loves but you cant bring yourself to feel the same way? For me Fairy Tail, DB, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and a few others.
Apr 18, 2019 3:24 PM

Apr 2016
The recent popular isekai like Shield Hero and Reincarnated as a Slime. All my friends told me to watch it, but they're kinda boring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2019 3:26 PM

Jul 2017
all of what you mentioned, except for one piece (well i'm on fishman island arc so idk if it really get as bad as people say).
i'll also add:
akame ga kill (total garbage)
jojo (cringy af, dropped 5 episodes in)
Apr 18, 2019 3:28 PM

Nov 2018
Jojo is the only show I've felt was extremely overhyped. Only managed to watch a few episodes and that was while watching the show with friends-- haven't decided it was worth my time to watch on my own.
Apr 18, 2019 3:29 PM

Nov 2017
CHLO_JO007 said:
The recent popular isekai like Shield Hero and Reincarnated as a Slime. All my friends told me to watch it, but they're kinda boring.

CHLO's right in my opinion. They got a lot of attention for putting a bit of a spin on the isekai genre, but once that wore off, the shows themselves were not all that great (except for the Kevin Penkin soundtrack in Shield Hero).

A lot of people seem to like Mirai Nikki And The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia, but I thought the former was full of gaping plot holes and contradictions, while Haruhi was simply not interesting to me.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Apr 18, 2019 3:29 PM

Sep 2014
Easy the correct answer is FMAB

/Close.

@Loonitick Jojo needs some time, atleast watch part 2
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 18, 2019 3:37 PM

May 2010
Here are some examples for me:

Kizumonogatari, the movies, it's just very average, I don't get it why the hype.

More recently Yakusoku no Neverland, when the things got better, the season ended, definitely an anime "8".

Steins Gate 0, it's just the same as the first season, but far from the same "quality". It's kind of you just want to end as quickly as possible.

One Punch Man first season, it's very good, but not as much as I heard of it.
Apr 18, 2019 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
Haruhi Suzumiya. I don't know what people see in it, because I found it extremely annoying.
Apr 18, 2019 3:59 PM

Apr 2018
Your Lie in April.

So many people hail it as a masterpiece, on the basis that it gave them the "feels" and made them cry.
As if emotional manipulation is supposed to equal quality or something.
Apr 18, 2019 4:04 PM

Oct 2018
Cowboy Bebop, I think its overrated.Im probably gonna get a lot of hate now HAHA

Apr 18, 2019 4:09 PM

Oct 2015
probably monster, i dropped it because i thought it was so boring.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Apr 18, 2019 4:11 PM
Apr 2019
Konosuba, was good at first but when good anime becomes mainstream it goes to shit because its so fucking overhyped
Apr 18, 2019 4:13 PM

Dec 2014
Mila91 said:
Cowboy Bebop, I think its overrated.Im probably gonna get a lot of hate now HAHA

I feel the same way. I didnt find it to be interesting at all. Felt boring to me.
Apr 18, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2018
@ScootTheBurbs Oh great, I felt like I was alone on this one XD

OMG and your favorite character is Sugimoto

I love him!

Apr 18, 2019 4:18 PM

Dec 2014
Mila91 said:
@ScootTheBurbs Oh great, I felt like I was alone on this one XD

OMG and your favorite character is Sugimoto

Hell yeah! Golden Kamuy is fucking amazing. Such a good read.
Apr 18, 2019 4:26 PM

Feb 2019
Bakemonogatari was, for me, a huge disappointment. I could barely finish it, and would never want to willingly watch the other seasons. I wouldn't call it garbage or anything, but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea, and I think it's pretty overblown in general.

Future Diary is absolute trash with almost no redeeming qualities. Extremely overrated, and the only reason it has as many fans as it does is because of Yuno (who isn't even that great of a character).

Akame ga Kill for reasons others have mentioned.

I also never understood the appeal of Gintama. Comedy is very subjective though, so I won't judge. I just think it gets far too much praise for what is otherwise a very mediocre show.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 18, 2019 4:27 PM

Aug 2013
I can't stress enough how Bunny Girl's and Slime Datta Ken's popularity baffles me.

Safeanew said:
NHK ni Youkoso! is overrated.
It is a good comedy show, but it fails as a social commentary.
I hope people avoid learning too many "life lessons" from that show.

Maybe because it's not really trying to do social commentary nor give life lessons. It's just a story about broken and awful people. Unless you count "don't act like any of these people" as life lessons.
Apr 18, 2019 4:29 PM

Dec 2017
MadHobbit2 said:

I also never understood the appeal of Gintama. Comedy is very subjective though, so I won't judge. I just think it gets far too much praise for what is otherwise a very mediocre show.

Watch it first and then shit about it. Gintama has really bizzare comedy and one of the best serious arcs. You should shit about shows that you have watched.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 18, 2019 4:34 PM

Jul 2017
On a personal level, Nichijou and Hellsing Ultimate

On a more general level, maybe Quintessential Quintuplets considering how MAL roasts generic harems
Apr 18, 2019 4:34 PM

Oct 2016
This is a more complex subject than you think, because it depends a lot on the taste of each person, but there are some tendencies like animes shounem (battle or sport) this genre passes much excitement which helps people to give high marks. Another genre like this is the drama is very common to see animes of drama receive good ratings much because of tinkering with people's feelings.
Apr 18, 2019 4:49 PM

Feb 2019
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Your Lie in April.

So many people hail it as a masterpiece, on the basis that it gave them the "feels" and made them cry.
As if emotional manipulation is supposed to equal quality or something.

I think there's a lot more to it than that, though it definitely hits closer to home if you're a musician (go figure, right?). Being a performing artist requires a certain level of passion for the work that doesn't exist in other professions.

Listen to interviews with any great musicians, painters, writers, actors, etc. and you'll see what I mean. They're the epitome of people who do their jobs not because they simply want their next paycheck, but because they're genuinely in love with what they do. They enjoy every aspect of the creative process, and they enjoy seeing the reactions of people who appreciate their work. For them, there's no greater pleasure than to breath life into the deepest parts of the human soul.

And yes, it definitely sounds cliche as hell, and it's not something everyone can understand. Me personally, I played saxophone for 6 years in both my highschool's and my university's Jazz band, and even today I regret having to give it up. Those "cliche" moments from YLiA were commonplace for me at one point, so watching it really hit home for me. No one who has truly felt the joys and the sorrows of music could dislike this anime. Because it's so incredibly accurate in how it depicts the extreme juxtaposition young musicians face. The years of struggling and desperation trying to perfect your craft vs. the few brief minutes on stage when all that work culminates in a giant outpouring of emotion for the world to see.

I don't think YLiA is an anime that can move people to tears the same way something like Clannad or Anohana would, because the later two deal with topics far more relatable to the general viewer. YLiA has a more specialized audience, which is why I don't blame anyone who says it wasn't their cup of tea (and conversely, I thoroughly enjoy hearing people without a musical background talk about how much they loved it).
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 18, 2019 4:54 PM

Feb 2019
thevagus said:
MadHobbit2 said:

Watch it first and then shit about it. Gintama has really bizzare comedy and one of the best serious arcs. You should shit about shows that you have watched.

How do you know I haven't watched it? Because it's not on my list of watched shows? Not everyone has time to constantly update their MAL profile; I created mine in 5 minutes, just adding whatever anime I could remember seeing off the top of my head. This site isn't the be-all end-all of anime for me, and I really couldn't care less about the information I post here. I HAVE seen some of Gintama, and from what I've seen it was average. Maybe we just have (*GASP*) DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON HUMOR?!?! Oh the horror!

Simmer down fanboy, you're not doing anyone any favors.
Apr 18, 2019 5:07 PM

May 2009
@AngryCactus and @PunkRocker2001 re Haruhi -- as someone who liked that show, I liked it for Kyon's deadpan responses to the craziness around him, rather than anything Haruhi herself did. Haruhi is like someone who doesn't know that they're annoying, and is certainly not particularly likeable as a person though I found her interesting in combination with Kyon's reactions to her. The other main characters (Yuki, Mikuru, Itsuki) I also found not particularly interesting. So for me the show was pretty much carried by Kyon's reactions to things; anyone who isn't entertained by that, I'd surmise, wouldn't be very entertained by the show as a whole.

Some people also point out how the show is a groundbreaking combination of a variety of different genres, combining school, slice-of-life, science fiction, romance, comedy, and drama in radical ways, so I guess there's a possibility that one might enjoy it for that. That wasn't what drew me though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 18, 2019 5:17 PM

Nov 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
@AngryCactus and @PunkRocker2001 re Haruhi -- as someone who liked that show, I liked it for Kyon's deadpan responses to the craziness around him, rather than anything Haruhi herself did. Haruhi is like someone who doesn't know that they're annoying, and is certainly not particularly likeable as a person though I found her interesting in combination with Kyon's reactions to her. The other main characters (Yuki, Mikuru, Itsuki) I also found not particularly interesting. So for me the show was pretty much carried by Kyon's reactions to things; anyone who isn't entertained by that, I'd surmise, wouldn't be very entertained by the show as a whole.

Some people also point out how the show is a groundbreaking combination of a variety of different genres, combining school, slice-of-life, science fiction, romance, comedy, and drama in radical ways, so I guess there's a possibility that one might enjoy it for that. That wasn't what drew me though.

I thought he was a decent straight man, but I found it frustrating that he put up with Haruhi, despite the whole

Apr 18, 2019 5:23 PM

Nov 2017
Loonitick said:
Jojo is the only show I've felt was extremely overhyped. Only managed to watch a few episodes and that was while watching the show with friends-- haven't decided it was worth my time to watch on my own.

You're not wrong. Its definitely over hyped, and I thought the first half of the first season was rather boring and actually dropped it the first time I tried it, but Stardust Crusaders, and Golden Wind arcs are prime and now I'm something of a Jojo fan. If you want to give it another shot, you can pretty much jump right into Stardust Crusaders with no prior knowledge and enjoy it as long as you know the name Dio Brando.

Apr 18, 2019 5:50 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It's usually only the dramatic shit like Clannad, Your Lie in April, or Kimi no Na Wa. I can't get sentimental and sappy over characters who are just sad and have upsetting backstories, I like to actually understand and be invested in them.

At least for most action series or even slightly less, isekai, I get where people want to say "it's different which makes it good" but they're still wrong.
Apr 18, 2019 6:08 PM

May 2009
AngryCactus said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I thought he was a decent straight man, but I found it frustrating that he put up with Haruhi, despite the whole
I guess you already know of the thing so I can just talk about it openly.

GlennMagusHarveyApr 18, 2019 6:16 PM
Apr 18, 2019 6:11 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
Fate Series is overhyped. Execution is fucking outstanding ok, but that's it.
Apr 18, 2019 6:18 PM

Nov 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
AngryCactus said:

Talk about going to great lengths to get the viewer to understand the characters' experiences. I think your take on that is interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way, but at the same time, I think they could have accomplished the same thing in half as many episodes, and also added a few more differences to each one. Also,

Apr 18, 2019 6:28 PM

Jul 2016
- Hunter x Hunter 2011
- Your Name
- Gintama (All seasons)
- A Silent Voice
- Code Geass
- Mushishi
- Promised Neverland
- Monster
- I want to eat your pancreas
- Erased
- One Piece
- Attack On Titan (Only watched season 1)
- My Hero Academia
- Shelter
- Bakemonogatari (Only seen this one)
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
- Akira

Apr 18, 2019 6:34 PM

Sep 2018
Fate Stay Night UBW, the story was just too lacking for me

Apr 18, 2019 6:41 PM

Nov 2017
Also, The Irregular at Magic High School was definitely not the show for me. Standard case of way too OP kudere MC with impenetrable plot armor which made things pretty dull. There were also unnecessary magic sports.

Apr 18, 2019 6:49 PM

Dec 2012
For me, One Punch Man was so overhyped that the moment I watched it I felt kinda disappointed... definitely not my cup of tea
Apr 18, 2019 7:14 PM

Mar 2010
Theres 2 in particular that stands out for me, kill la kill which i trully couldnt watch anymore, and madoka magicka which even tho I liked it, its way way way to far from what people give it credits for
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2019 7:15 PM

Mar 2010
Stripes said:
It's usually only the dramatic shit like Clannad, Your Lie in April, or Kimi no Na Wa. I can't get sentimental and sappy over characters who are just sad and have upsetting backstories, I like to actually understand and be invested in them.

At least for most action series or even slightly less, isekai, I get where people want to say "it's different which makes it good" but they're still wrong.

Thank you, I literally fell asleep in clannad like 10 times and I'm not even exaggerating
Apr 18, 2019 7:19 PM

Jul 2014
Posts 2620 thru 2656 merged from another thread
Take care of yourself

Apr 18, 2019 7:29 PM

May 2009
AngryCactus said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Talk about going to great lengths to get the viewer to understand the characters' experiences. I think your take on that is interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way, but at the same time, I think they could have accomplished the same thing in half as many episodes, and also added a few more differences to each one. Also,

Compressing this arc would make it get to its conclusion faster, yeah, though it'd also reduce the amount to which the audience would feel that key sense of frustration. Though, on the other hand, one could argue that the trolling effect is strongest in the second episode and diminishes subsequently, so I guess it's a judgement call of how many episodes to keep going beyond the second.

I've actually considered an alternative version, an even riskier one, wherein
Apr 18, 2019 7:34 PM

Nov 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
AngryCactus said:

Compressing this arc would make it get to its conclusion faster, yeah, though it'd also reduce the amount to which the audience would feel that key sense of frustration. Though, on the other hand, one could argue that the trolling effect is strongest in the second episode and diminishes subsequently, so I guess it's a judgement call of how many episodes to keep going beyond the second.

Any idea how either the manga or the light novel handled that arc?

Apr 18, 2019 8:42 PM

May 2009
AngryCactus said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I don't know, since I never read either of those, but for some reason I think I remember hearing that that arc may have been unique to the anime. However, looking it up in the Haruhi wiki there appear to be LN and manga versions of it. So I'm not sure.

Edit: at least the LN's Endless Eight predates the anime by a few years, so no, it's not anime original, apparently.
Apr 18, 2019 9:09 PM

Nov 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
AngryCactus said:

I don't know, since I never read either of those, but for some reason I think I remember hearing that that arc may have been unique to the anime. However, looking it up in the Haruhi wiki there appear to be LN and manga versions of it. So I'm not sure.

Edit: at least the LN's Endless Eight predates the anime by a few years, so no, it's not anime original, apparently.
I feel strongly that that arc would have been much better suited to the manga than the anime, or that it should have been realized and altered in the adaption.

Apr 19, 2019 12:37 AM

Dec 2017
MadHobbit2 said:
thevagus said:

How do you know I haven't watched it? Because it's not on my list of watched shows? Not everyone has time to constantly update their MAL profile; I created mine in 5 minutes, just adding whatever anime I could remember seeing off the top of my head. This site isn't the be-all end-all of anime for me, and I really couldn't care less about the information I post here. I HAVE seen some of Gintama, and from what I've seen it was average. Maybe we just have (*GASP*) DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON HUMOR?!?! Oh the horror!

"some of gintama" how many episodes have you even watched to call it mediocre?

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 19, 2019 7:22 AM

Feb 2019
thevagus said:
MadHobbit2 said:

"some of gintama" how many episodes have you even watched to call it mediocre?

The first ~15 episodes of the 2006 original version. I really tried to give it a chance, since other people tend to rate it so highly, but it just wasn't doing it for me so I dropped it. Why is this such a big deal to you?
Apr 19, 2019 7:38 AM

Jan 2019
@MadHobbit2
gotta agree its incredibly overrated the jokes get old incredibly fast

@thevagus
doesnt really matter how many he watched, its the same thing throughout the entire show

that said i've only seen 240 episodes or smth around that number
personally i don't think its bad and i enjoyed it much more back then, but at the 200 mark it just got incredibly boring so i dropped the 2nd season
i used to think it was funny
honestly im surprised i watched that many in the first place

_____
So some i think are overrated
Gintama - comedy gets old / monotonous
One Piece - horrendous pacing and character designs
Bakemonogatari - absolutely appalling camera angles and directing
Perfect Blue - bland character and way too fucking disturbing, might as well make an anime about someone torturing people all day would make just as much sense
Stranger Mukou Hadan - bland characters, predictable plot (had to watch this again because i literally fell asleed during this one the first time thats how boring it was)
Akira - absolutely horrible art
Mushishi - horrendous pacing, to get the message across 50 mins in total/mini movie, would have been enough
DenkiDestroy99XApr 19, 2019 7:51 AM
Pages (85) « First ... « 50 51 [52] 53 54 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

27 by MichaelJackson »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
29 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
31 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
34 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.