Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I'm about to finish the original Fate route VN, is this anime a good adaption of the second route?

New
Apr 16, 2019 10:20 AM
Feb 2019
I'm reading the original Fate route, but I'm thinking about watching the second and the third one, because I heard the first one is a bad adaption that spoils alot of the plot. I heard the other ones are good adaptions though, does the anime skip necessary explanations or something? It's not like I hate the VNs itselves, but reading something that has an animated adaption feels like I'm missing the enjoyment I could get from watching the anime and I surely won't enjoy it as much if I will know what what happens.
Apr 17, 2019 5:05 AM

Oct 2014
good to see someone read the first route instead of skipping straight to the anime

if you like the VN and enjoy the reading, then stick with it. it remains the best version of FSN and the second HF movie is the only adaptation of the VN so far that i can consider to be good

if you don't enjoy reading then you can try this and see if it's to your liking better, given that you've read the Fate route, it should cover for some of the areas where this anime fails, but this is still not a good adaptation
HunLepto said:
does the anime skip necessary explanations or something?

yes, the MC's monologues are missing, which help you understand and like him better as a character, most of the servant powers aren't explained either and the amount of explanations for everything is cut down

HunLepto said:
reading something that has an animated adaption feels like I'm missing the enjoyment I could get from watching the anime and I surely won't enjoy it as much if I will know what what happens.

on the other hand, watching a mediocre adaptation that fails to capture the story and characters, but has fancy animation and explosions to offer, misses you the enjoyment of fully understanding the story and characters on the first try
Apr 17, 2019 5:13 AM
Feb 2019
Shayon said:
good to see someone read the first route instead of skipping straight to the anime

if you like the VN and enjoy the reading, then stick with it. it remains the best version of FSN and the second HF movie is the only adaptation of the VN so far that i can consider to be good

if you don't enjoy reading then you can try this and see if it's to your liking better, given that you've read the Fate route, it should cover for some of the areas where this anime fails, but this is still not a good adaptation
HunLepto said:
does the anime skip necessary explanations or something?

yes, the MC's monologues are missing, which help you understand and like him better as a character, most of the servant powers aren't explained either and the amount of explanations for everything is cut down

HunLepto said:
reading something that has an animated adaption feels like I'm missing the enjoyment I could get from watching the anime and I surely won't enjoy it as much if I will know what what happens.

on the other hand, watching a mediocre adaptation that fails to capture the story and characters, but has fancy animation and explosions to offer, misses you the enjoyment of fully understanding the story and characters on the first try

Well, I was talking about more like brief explanations that are harder to understand, I usually don't need to hear monologues or what power the servant has if I can get it pretty much from the detail. I mean, aren't most of the things about magic and stuff are explained through the first route too? Also, I don't think it would be alright to have characters talk for like every single second and eat away every screen time with explanations. But I shall see if I should stick to the VN after checking out the anime, only after I finish the Fate route though.
Apr 17, 2019 5:54 AM

Oct 2014
HunLepto said:
Well, I was talking about more like brief explanations that are harder to understand, I usually don't need to hear monologues or what power the servant has if I can get it pretty much from the detail. I mean, aren't most of the things about magic and stuff are explained through the first route too? Also, I don't think it would be alright to have characters talk for like every single second and eat away every screen time with explanations. But I shall see if I should stick to the VN after checking out the anime, only after I finish the Fate route though.

to give an example, remember when during the very beginning of the Fate route

you'll get more moments like that in this anime, things that could've been easily and briefly explained, yet they get no explanation, even when the status screen of the VN isn't involved.

in the UBW and HF routes, new powers are revealed and used in different situations, and your understanding of what the grail is changes. when you have a character that manages to do something he shouldn't be able to do, what seems like an asspull in the anime has a proper explanation in the VN, for the vast majority of the time

having read the Fate route does help you understand some of things here better, but not everything, some things will still look like asspulls without knowledge from the UBW route of the VN
Apr 17, 2019 6:28 AM
Feb 2019
Shayon said:
HunLepto said:

to give an example, remember when during the very beginning of the Fate route

you'll get more moments like that in this anime, things that could've been easily and briefly explained, yet they get no explanation, even when the status screen of the VN isn't involved.

in the UBW and HF routes, new powers are revealed and used in different situations, and your understanding of what the grail is changes. when you have a character that manages to do something he shouldn't be able to do, what seems like an asspull in the anime has a proper explanation in the VN, for the vast majority of the time

having read the Fate route does help you understand some of things here better, but not everything, some things will still look like asspulls without knowledge from the UBW route of the VN

Yeah, I was interested too why that didn't kill her and the VN explained it to me, though I think these can be just called "facts" that can be looked up and explained in less than 2 minutes if needed or if someone seems to act differently about the other character, you can just read the emotions and assume something happened between these two. It depends only if they have so much unexplained scenes, it becomes a confusing mess for someone who hasn't read it yet and would eventually get lost, but I assume that's not really the thing here. I may read the VN right now, but I still value animation over source if it has a good enough one (it's not that I don't respect literature, but even most of these animated fiction novels are for enjoyment (or to make you think with different views, but I would read a sci-fi in that case), seeing it animated while understanding the main plot is more enjoyable for me), and I heard some pretty good things about the adaptions after the "original" one.
Apr 17, 2019 6:57 AM

Oct 2014
you can look up explanations on the internet by reading answers written by source fans or spoiler-filled wikis, but that's not ideal, an adaptation should be able to stand on its own, something this anime cannot do without knowledge from the Fate route at least, unless you can enjoy a show without thinking too hard about it or caring if it makes any sense

what this anime is missing isn't just "extra" facts, but things that are key to understanding certain scenes, episodes, and even the story overall

HunLepto said:
It depends only if they have so much unexplained scenes, it becomes a confusing mess for someone who hasn't read it yet and would eventually get lost, but I assume that's not really the thing here.

it is actually, if someone likes understanding the story, watches this anime as their first-ever Fate experience with 0 knowledge from the Fate route or the source material, they are very likely find it to be a confusing mess, that's what happened to me

but since you've read the Fate route at least, a lot of confusion and frustration for this has been avoided. you're free to watch this if you prefer, but i recommend sticking to the VN unless you hate reading

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2751 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.