Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2019 10:28 PM

Oct 2014
Kyogreex said:

I think it's that Kazuki was holding the shirokodama, so only one of his secrets was revealed. The fact that Enta sees Toi trying to steal that car is only incidental to seeing Kazuki's secret; it's not actually his secret. Kazuki already knew about that, after all.

As to what Toi and Enta's secrets are, I think we can maybe guess based on what is inside their boxes (although we only get a glimpse of what is inside Toi's).

Ah, that makes sense. So much happening in that episode I didn't really make the connection of holding the shirikodama/secrets being exposed.

Other thoughts after scrolling through the forum:
I always have to see a few episodes before I really remember the op/ed but I remember Utena/penguindrum had some excellent themes so I hope this one will follow.
-Reading the wikipedia entry for kappas explained a few things like "sara" means dish, the place kappas store water on their heads, the verbal tic that kappa idol had.
"Analysis" Hee hee hee
Apr 11, 2019 10:36 PM
Jan 2019
Summimazen but whata fuck
Apr 11, 2019 10:38 PM
Nov 2016
I come to this series for the weirdness and i wasn't disappointed. this is confusing at first but i still enjoy it. the ending was really beautiful and well done. tho idk why, during the op i was picturing that kazuki was crossdressing and yes, he is. also i kinda get what kazuki has been saying this HOLE time about being connected to her. he probably meant his other identity as a girl but i dont knooo
Apr 11, 2019 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
Magical beast sucks the butts of young boys and condems them to an adventure of butt sucking, and full anal penetration. Hollywood will love this one, but I am dropping at at 15;22. The animation was very well done, but this just isn't my speed and thats great because I don't think I was the target audience. Nothing wrong with a little BL, but I definitely draw the line at anal vore. Enjoy this butt pumping kappa adventure, may it do.... yea whatever the hell its trying to do.
Apr 11, 2019 11:52 PM
Oct 2018
This shit wack. Didn't know what the fuck was going on the whole time.
Apr 12, 2019 12:23 AM

Mar 2016
This was brilliant! It was funny and weird, but it gave hints of a deeper story as well.

Sara was a boy this whole time. Now I am wondering how much of the spin off manga is Canon.

I wonder what the animators thought when they were animating the Oshiridama scene. For such a weird scene, it was so beautifully animated.

They started singing in the middle. Hahaha

I was sad that the live action background didn't appear as they had in the earlier promos. Well, the sadness disappeared when they appeared in the credits. The way they mixed live action backgrounds with anime characters was so beautiful.

I can't wait to know the police officers. I loved them in the spin off; hope they are equally fun here as well.

The music at the start (the one that appears in the promos as well)—paired with Murase Ayumu's voice—makes me feel kind of lonely.
Apr 12, 2019 12:32 AM
Apr 2012
FuMomo-kun said:

Sara was a boy this whole time. Now I am wondering how much of the spin off manga is Canon.

No, Kazuki just crossdressed as Sara there is still the real Sara. They have different eyes.
Apr 12, 2019 12:38 AM

May 2018
I am very confused and don't know what to say. Don't shoot me down, i think this is very weird.
Apr 12, 2019 12:42 AM

Oct 2017
Little_Nai said:
FuMomo-kun said:

No, Kazuki just crossdressed as Sara there is still the real Sara. They have different eyes.
And different VAs.
Apr 12, 2019 12:54 AM
Nov 2018
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F***

WHAT THE HECK
WHAT IS THIS PLOT ?
DID THEY JUST CAME OUT OF THAT FROG ASS AND ACT LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED
DID THEY WENT INTO THE DUDE ASSHOLE
PROTAGONIST IS A TRAP!!!
Apr 12, 2019 12:58 AM

Jul 2016
Calling it now, this is gonna be the sleeper hit of the season.

I absolutely loved it. Ikuhara's always on top form. Out of everything he's made, this feels like it's going to resemble Yurikuma Arashi the most, and I'm down for that. How the hell is he going to outdo himself this time?
Apr 12, 2019 1:27 AM

Jun 2016
This is already MAPPA's best show lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2019 1:30 AM

Mar 2016
Muzacci said:
Little_Nai said:

And different VAs.

That really confused me. I had also noticed the different voice actors and drastically different eye brows,but the dialogues made it sound like Kazuki was Sara.
Apr 12, 2019 1:41 AM

Feb 2013
uninstallthegame said:
what the fuck did i just watch? holy fuck, the production value tho. and that ED was so good

MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao

It's Ikuhara, not Mappa. Aside from animation, of course. Aside from that, the Kappa thing is actually from the mythology... they do the ass thing there as well with the shirikodama
Apr 12, 2019 1:48 AM

Oct 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
Muzacci said:
And different VAs.

That really confused me. I had also noticed the different voice actors and drastically different eye brows,but the dialogues made it sound like Kazuki was Sara.
I believe they're a different person. Not sure why they changed the VA but it happens sometimes in Ikuhara's show, like in Utena.
Apr 12, 2019 1:50 AM

Oct 2017
These wikipedia articles will help you in a way
Kappa
Otter
Apr 12, 2019 1:50 AM
Nov 2018
This anime is surely a masterpiece of imagination, this gave me a good laugh and the animation is just incredible, i'm speechless. This might be one of the best animated shows of the year and a fan favorite for a long time. Wildest thing i've ever seen in anime.
Apr 12, 2019 1:54 AM

Jul 2017
Ikuhara-sensei is back once again with his original, over-the-top idea...about the kappas?

So many WTF plot points, but yet so much fun and enjoyment to watch, even at the premiere episode! So much imagination, laughter and accompaniment.

Can already foresee that this is gonna be underrated, but with Ikuhara and MAPPA? I'm dutifully sold.

Definitely a 100/10 episode, and to boot as well!

OP and ED are damn good as well.
KANLen09Apr 12, 2019 2:16 AM
Apr 12, 2019 2:10 AM

Jan 2016
Fucken Ikuhara man, always does the craziest stuff.

I hope this show blows up in yaoi fan circles.
"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

Apr 12, 2019 2:46 AM

Jan 2012
Azrita said:
I would have enjoyed this so much more if the main characters weren't children. Not a fan of the pedo vibes tbh

Agreed.
I felt uncomfortable watching this, especially with my family in the same room (at least I had headphones on)
"Quack"
-A Duck

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 12, 2019 2:48 AM
Oct 2017
I love it. I hope it keeps getting even better. :D
Apr 12, 2019 3:23 AM
Mar 2019
The episode was a whole disaster chaotic, but i find it hilarious & enjoyable, will continue watching it.
Apr 12, 2019 3:33 AM
Sep 2018
Wth did i just watch, i'm legit speechless ...
Apr 12, 2019 3:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Great, another what the actual fuck am I watching Ikuhara anime

Oh boy
Apr 12, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2008
WOW! this show is very different in a good way!
i thought this was from SHAFT but apparently its from MAPPA!
a lot of symbolism huh...shout-out to Ikuhara haha
KANA-BOON for the OP and the peggies for the ED was an excellent choice!
5/5.

Apr 12, 2019 5:19 AM
Dec 2016
I can't fully decipher the "A" symbolism just from episode 1.

ai/love, anus, Asakusa (location setting), Azumabashi (the bridge)...

The four slogans in the news show apparently say
sekai no chushin de Ai wo sakenda kemono/ the beast that shouted Love at the heart of the world
Aite atte no jibun/ we can't live without Others
but I didn't get the other two, "kokoro kara a- o shinjinasai" and "a- o gojiyu ni goran kudasai"
Apr 12, 2019 5:35 AM

Sep 2009
Okay so I just want to get out my thoughts on this!

I found the episode to be super enjoyable and I definitely like it so far.

From what I got out of the episode the MC is crossdressing as the popular idol shown on TV.
At the end of the episode we can see a rarer smallish girl that is looking at her text messages.
These text messages were actually from the MC as they were the selfies he took prior on that day!
So him saying he wants to be connected to 'her' doesn't refer to the idol but to the girl with the smartphone. She could be his sister which wouldn't surprise me as there is usually a pinch of incest in Ikuharas works. xD

We already saw what was physically in Glasses-boys box. It was the foot bracelet that the MC wears at the start of the show.
I think that the start of the show where MC is seen running through some streets is actually not the start but sth that will happen in the middle or the end of the story because he has some kind of flashback which has stuff in it that didn't happen yet.
So the bracelet is definitely for him I mean Glasses-boy also said that to his sister so it's pretty much confirmed.

Maybe that's some kind of metaphor for his feelings for him? A one-sided crush that he is too afraid to act upon. Would make sense with all the gay vibes :D

Apr 12, 2019 5:47 AM

Aug 2013
Well, that was an interesting start. Good ED.

Apr 12, 2019 6:05 AM

Jan 2017
Yeap, Japan doing the Japan thing again.... When you think that the anime can't be even more wft we are getting this "thing" right here..

OH BOY THIS GONNA BE GOOOOOOD!

PS:
This is the level on animation that I was hoping to see in OPM S2 ;(
Apr 12, 2019 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
The opening reminds me a bit of ''Your Name.'' Ö_Ö
Apr 12, 2019 6:41 AM

Oct 2017
e_hoba said:
I can't fully decipher the "A" symbolism just from episode 1.

ai/love, anus, Asakusa (location setting), Azumabashi (the bridge)...

The four slogans in the news show apparently say
sekai no chushin de Ai wo sakenda kemono/ the beast that shouted Love at the heart of the world
Aite atte no jibun/ we can't live without Others
but I didn't get the other two, "kokoro kara a- o shinjinasai" and "a- o gojiyu ni goran kudasai"
We know the Otter sign is for the Otter clan, so I figured this out
Apr 12, 2019 6:55 AM

Apr 2015
If you're into vore or TF watch this.

That is all.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 12, 2019 7:24 AM

Jan 2008
I mean, probably people can tell from my signature that I was already ready and waiting for this one. (Although I still need to see Penguindrum. More than ever, now.)

Some observations:
- An alternate name for kappa roughly translates to 'otter'
-which is also a kind of person in gay subculture I think but that's probably just the West
- 'Sara' as the name of the kappa's dish, the idol ending her sentences with 'dish'
- The scrolling text at the bottom of her show begins with 'normal people can't see this' which is both a freeze frame bonus and makes me think of the spirit world vision later in the ep
- the freaking cucumbers have me laughing like a 12 year old, combine that with the anus thing and of course kappas are the main image of this show
- MC's soccer friend is definitely in love with him, I predict a 'ball(s)'-themed episode later
- also is soccer dude's sister the teacher? they had a similar look but it went by fast
- god those transformation scenes are...visceral, I don't remember Yuri Kuma being quite this Much
- "It's your fault for having a secret that can get you in trouble!" Ikuhara, fighting homophobia one fucked up premise at a time
- Ok that twist has me sold. Not like I wasn't already. But it absolutely stuck the landing in every way. I wonder what makes him want to connect to Sara specifically, or if it's connecting to femininity/maybe being female?
- Or it's just a reference to that time Ikuhara cosplayed as Sailor Mars and gave no fucks, idk.

And now I can't wait for next week.
Apr 12, 2019 7:25 AM

Jun 2017
the animation was cool but...this is too weird for me...
"Gradually Watermelon"
Apr 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Dec 2008
I thought this will be good but it's awful :(.
Apr 12, 2019 9:10 AM

Sep 2017
I don't care how many layers of deep symbolism are in this, they can not make me call this good while I'm sober...
Apr 12, 2019 9:53 AM

Jan 2019
Awesome animation, the quality makes it look like a movie. I like the characters mixed with real life cityscape, also an apparent diorama of a shintoist portal they enter during the episode. Interesting story (with over the top anus jokes xD), I'm excited to learn more about these characters.
Apr 12, 2019 10:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ikuhara you magnificent bastard you! Once again you go completely your own way and do something that no one else would even contemplate doing. Bravo.

And boy does it look gorgeous. It's so shiny. The colours just popped out of the screen like no other tv series can.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 12, 2019 10:49 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
A lot of comments (many of them negative) about the shirikodama (尻子玉). This is not something that Ikuhara invented. The shirikodama has been around since at least the Edo Period as part of the folklore regarding kappas. Other anime series have also mentioned the shirikodama before, with Gegege no Kitarou being one notable example.

birdiverse said:
crossdressing middle schoolers
talking frogs
ass juice

enough said. 10/10

I like the way you think. :) But seriously... you should know after watching this episode to never call a kappa a frog!

Mayuka said:
Yoruka-Waifu said:
It's a shame to see Ikuhara selling himself to the fujoshis.
oh damn when was i catered?

I was wondering that myself. I saw no sex, no kissing, no handholding, not even flirting. (Maybe a yearning glance?)

Claptrap said:
Wonder if the main character is trans or just enjoys crossdressing. Not sure how Ikuhara wants to tackle that.

I applaud you for making a distinction between the two. Most people don't see a difference. I think he's probably crossdressing, not trans, especially considering that he seems to be doing it to "maintain a connection" with a younger girl who evidently believes she is chatting with the real Asakusa Sara.

merutan said:
We already saw what was physically in Glasses-boys box. It was the foot bracelet that the MC wears at the start of the show.

I would disagree. The item in Enta's box was a "promise ring" (according to the packaging), though it does look like an ankle bracelet. However, Kazuki's ankle bracelet is blue with yellow, and the item in Enta's box is red with green. Perhaps Enta bought it so that he would "match" with Kazuki.

indiglow said:
- 'Sara' as the name of the kappa's dish, the idol ending her sentences with 'dish'
Sara (皿) is the general word for "dish, helping or plate", as in "Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara" ("Third Dish").
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Apr 12, 2019 10:51 AM

Dec 2016
It was so fun and at some point it got a little disgusting but I still loved it (≧∇≦)
Apr 12, 2019 12:35 PM

Oct 2013
Honestly, I think everything about this show is fantastic even though it some weird parts but I really enjoy for the most part!
Apr 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Mar 2017
This weird world setting. It reminded me of Mawaru Penguindrum. I wanna slap myself for wanting to skip this show at first lol. Interesting show. Shirikodama? That's funny.
Apr 12, 2019 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
Weird show with the love of holes eh? The visuals are top notch.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 12, 2019 2:17 PM

Nov 2018
Came into it knowing kappa lore and Ikuhara's love for reusing footage. A little voice whispered inside my mind: "yeah, the characters do look young, but the executives wouldn't let him make the anus interrogation scene into a recurring segment right". But, seeing as it was the most produced part of he episode, seems like he won. Shame. Doubt I can take middle schoolers being raped/raping someone else 10 more times, even if it's for Ikuhara's storytelling.

And on one hand, I'd want this anime to find success, but on the other people would be totally justified dropping the show after Those Couple Of Scenes.
Apr 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Jun 2015
That was an absolute blast. Can't wait for more Ikuhara craziness.

Also did anyone else notice the guy with his head in a box being interrogated in the police station earlier in the episode? With that and all the boxes which were stacked up inside the station my guess would be that the two policemen are involved in creating the zombies and stealing the boxes.
Apr 12, 2019 2:47 PM

Jun 2014
The only thing I thought while watching the episode was that random is not equal to funny/interesting.
Apr 12, 2019 2:57 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was pretty insane and I kind of loved it lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 12, 2019 3:11 PM

Apr 2015
This is my first Ikuhara anime, so I was definitely in for a surprise! I heard from Ikuhara fans that this eccentricity is kinda his style and it is supposed to get a lil' dark so I'm excited about it! The show looks promising thus far.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Apr 12, 2019 3:38 PM

Aug 2014
Minar-kyun said:
This weird world setting. It reminded me of Mawaru Penguindrum. I wanna slap myself for wanting to skip this show at first lol. Interesting show. Shirikodama? That's funny.

Is the same author than Mawaru.
Apr 12, 2019 3:49 PM

Feb 2019
if it were not because this is directed by Ikuhara nobody would really be seeing it because it is so absurd, but surely when you finish you will see videos explaining each detail or symbology.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2019

67 by smX89 »»
Feb 22, 2022 12:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.