Forum Settings
Forums

How come many early-2000 anime don't have many viewers, even...

New
Apr 12, 2019 1:59 PM

Jul 2016
Even when there weren't that many anime in the database at the time, especially looking at individual genres?

(And MAL itself was made in the early 2000s, so I'd think anime from then would have the most viewers.)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2019 2:07 PM

Apr 2018
I'm gonna make a safe assumption that most of the users on this site are in their early twenties or mid/late teens (15-25 seems like a good range)

By that logic, most of us were like really young or just simply not born during that time.

Not only that, the technology during that time was doo doo. Legal streaming of anime or even pirating for that matter wasn't really a thing.

All I remember is growing up watching Toonami/Adult Swim on saturday nights with shitty cable. Dear god, that takes me back lol
Apr 12, 2019 2:11 PM

Feb 2019
Because anime in the early 2000s was an extremely niche genre of entertainment, and non-Japanese audiences rarely had legal access to watch it at their leisure. It's only very recently that anime has exploded in popularity outside of Japan, and even now it's far from being mainstream.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 12, 2019 2:12 PM

Apr 2018
Don't quote me on this, but I think mal started in smth like 2006 and was really small at the begging, so the numbers u now see as "not many viewers" were "many viewers" for that time
Apr 12, 2019 4:10 PM
Feb 2017
More anime viewers have joined the fandom post-2000, that's why.
Apr 12, 2019 4:14 PM

Jul 2016
Why is Anime popular now?

This question answers your question.
Apr 12, 2019 5:00 PM

Dec 2018
I can’t say forsure why they would have lower viewers in regards to MAL but I would assume other people are on track in saying it relates to internet being slow a f and a less common commodity back then, as well as anime slowly but surely gaining increasing popularity outside Japan.

MAL is just a very small fraction of anime viewers though. MAL ratings, popularity, etc should not be taken seriously or given much thought.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Apr 12, 2019 5:02 PM

Dec 2008
Shit-I've been watching anime since the mid 90's. As far as I'm concerned any show that is watchable no matter when it was made is fair game.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 12, 2019 5:06 PM

Jan 2016
Because a lot of people on the site nowadays were born in the 90s, so they weren't that old in the early 2000s and likely weren't paying attention to it then, and nowadays it's generally harder to access compared to stuff that aired after the rise of streaming. Oh, and the discussion on those shows is long since dead, so there's less incentive to watch those shows compared to modern ones.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Apr 12, 2019 7:34 PM

Jul 2007
I just know I was watching anime in the early 2000's. There was also quite a lot of it airing on TV back then.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 12, 2019 7:54 PM

Aug 2018
It was harder to watch in the old days, probably most of the people that watched those shows don't use these kind of sites, I think that the period that you are talking about is one of the worst in the anime history and you should add that they've become old, so most noobs don't want to try them.

MadHobbit2 said:
Because anime in the early 2000s was an extremely niche genre of entertainment, and non-Japanese audiences rarely had legal access to watch it at their leisure. It's only very recently that anime has exploded in popularity outside of Japan, and even now it's far from being mainstream.
I disagree with most of your reasons.

Anime is known by almost everyone, I don't think that is that far from mainstream at the moment and there are some animes that were/are pop AF.

The only thing that I agree is that it was a lot harder to watch anime.

EndlessMaria said:
I just know I was watching anime in the early 2000's. There was also quite a lot of it airing on TV back then.
Yes, I watched a lot of anime in those days, and probably we used to get a lot more anime on TV but you can't compared it to the amount of anime we can watch now.

Apr 12, 2019 8:50 PM

Jun 2007
According to Wiki***ia, the site was founded in 2006, and it probably took a few years for the userbase to ramp up. So by the time large numbers of users were adding stuff to lists, it was already the late 00s to early 10s. Which means that younger viewers might've looked down on a lot of early-00s as "outdated," low-res, 4:3, or as having rougher artwork than the then-current norms. And many present-day reviews don't look so kindly on "early digipaint" shows, where studios were still trying to figure out what they were doing with new production processes.

Thus, the enduring classics from that era, shows that viewers are willing to go back to, get good numbers. But the average shows that did just okay in their day are more likely to get undercounted.

AniDB, which launched in 2002, might be more representative for the popularity of early-00s anime -- though not as accurate for more recent shows.
Apr 12, 2019 9:56 PM

Jul 2012
I mean that line of thinking just doesn't make sense, obviously the most consecutive viewers for seasons or years are going to be the periods when the site was most active. Which will almost never be in the first few years the site was active unless we're talking about a site that has died.
Apr 13, 2019 3:44 AM

Mar 2017
And you know, most ppl not born our generation can't really handle old animations well. Heck, i myself find it hard watching old anime, despite the fact that i've been watching anime since early 2000.

I know that most of them old titles are responsible for helping the shape of the anime today, but most of them don't age well, animation-wise.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 13, 2019 3:58 AM

May 2015
A few anime made in the early 2000s, like Spirited Away, Azumanga Daioh, Ghost in the Shell SAC,Samurai Champloo, Elfen Lied, Mushishi etc. have been watched by more than 100.000 MAL members, some of them by more than 500.000 and there are a lot more shows between 50.000 and 100.000. So I wouldn't say that all of the shows of that time bracket don't have many viewers, but it can be said that lot of the viewers of those shows never became MAL member (and increased the view number) because the site didn't existed at that time.
IshitatesoApr 13, 2019 5:04 AM
Apr 13, 2019 4:29 AM

Nov 2011
1) Death Note is still the most popular show in this site..
2) MAL itself is growing by the time.. I believe the number of active users is increasing year by year..
3) Many, if not most people prefer to watch seasonal thing rather than completed anime, and don't bother to find older anime.. I am not on that side though ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 13, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
Because the people viewing anime feel the need to watch every seasonal anime, to "blend in" so they don't have time to watch older anime
Not because most people don't like the older animation?
BlackMirrorxApr 13, 2019 4:57 AM
Apr 13, 2019 7:21 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
CreepKillinspree said:
Not because most people don't like the older animation?

That too, but that's not the main point, take a look at older Ghibli films, and super popular old shows, they have TONS of members
Yeah but lol, this TONNSS of memebers it's like 4 or 5 of ghlibli and only very few other old anime you talking about.
But wait, I am not denying about it at first place and why you are explaining that to me?
Apr 13, 2019 7:23 AM

Feb 2010
Because before 2010 there was no simulcasting and both MAL and the anime community at large only really started to grow after that started because it allowed everyone to gravitate around the seasonals when prior to that everyone was just watching whatever they wanted on their own and only really grouped together in fandoms for specific franchises or maybe genres. Having that kind of common activity is really what makes the anime community as we know it today possible.

Oh sure, people were watching ongoing shows before that as well, I was one of them, but the subs were fansubs and therefore irregular and often weeks or even months behind and it was more like watching 'currently being subbed' series instead of currently airing ones. Some of them were currently airing, some weren't, some used to be airing but the subs took much longer etc... You didn't need MAL to look up when shows aired, all you needed to know was the release schedule of the fansubbing groups. And discussions about them were also a lot less centralised in my experience.

So basically the only pre-2009/10 series that have a lot of viewers are the big ones that are very popular and well known and still get recommended. A random seasonal from then will probably have 1/10th or so of the viewers a random seasonal gets today, for all the reasons I mentioned. Just getting subs one or two years after a show aired could easily condemn a show to long-time obscurity no matter how good it is. I've found plenty of favorites and other very good shows from these years that are just laughably underwatched by today's standard (Gallery Fake, Yomigaeru Sora, Hanada Shounen-shi, Fuujin Monogatari - to just name a few).

2000-3000 viewers scoring them seems to be the area where these shows land. If it's even lower than that, it was probably not subbed for a long time.
AlcoholicideApr 14, 2019 1:08 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 13, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2014
Most commoners nowadays just watch whatever is airing so anime that have already aired, especially older ones, are less likely to be checked out.
Apr 13, 2019 8:21 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
That too, but that's not the main point, take a look at older Ghibli films, and super popular old shows, they have TONS of members
Creepkillinspree said:
Yeah but lol, this TONNSS of memebers it's like 4 or 5 of ghlibli and only very few other old anime you talking about.
But wait, I am not denying about it at first place and why you are explaining that to me?

Gythia said:
That's what I'm trying to say, casual viewers only watch seasonal/super popular anime
It must be true since you have that one ghibli flim in your complete list and talking these.
Apr 13, 2019 8:31 AM

Jul 2017
Kids today watch only harem anime produced after 2010.
あなたは誰?
Apr 13, 2019 8:44 AM

May 2018
Why do you even care about popularity of old anime? It won't disappear, you can like and rewatch it anytime. If you wanna find people who like it - you'll find many of them.
And if you care about modern viewers' unawareness - don't. Those who want to and who deserve it - they'll come to it by themselves.
I was born in 90, started watching anime in about 2009, and I'd say that I prefer older anime (pre-2010) over modern things which are mostly dull, retarded and full of agressive fanservice and waifu cancer. Though I don't reject something new, too, and usually watch 1 to 4 ongoings (dropping and putting on-hold about 20 of them in process)
I mean, good things will never get old.
Nemo_NiemandApr 13, 2019 8:47 AM

Apr 13, 2019 10:26 AM

Apr 2019
Many people keep hating on ecchi/harem anime and saying bad words to fans when we didn't even do anything to them. I hope one day they realize how hurtful their words can be.
Apr 13, 2019 10:56 AM

Apr 2019
@Gythia what are you trying to say desu? I didn't say ghibli aren't popular. Everybody knows they're popular. Read back all comment. But I kinda know why you're doing this. Last resort ?
Apr 13, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2019
My guess is because most people just watch what's popular,
and that's usually not the old anime.
Apr 13, 2019 11:22 AM
Aug 2015
MadHobbit2 said:

Anime has been airing throughtout the world since the 70s. Especially in the east people grew up watching anime instead of cartoons(most of the world population lives there) A lot of anime aired in Latin America and Europe as well(France and Italy got the most anime) but back then most people probably didn't know what they were watching was called anime.
Apr 13, 2019 11:31 AM

Apr 2019
@Gythia

Elaborate what? i meant what i said. You're just overthinking that sentence. Why would anyone think they aint popular. When I am saying one ghibli anime in ur list, what I was trying to say is that ghibli and some other old anime, it's true that they popular and many people watched them. But there're only few of them and also people nowadays don't really watch the other old anime that much. Read below.

I am on phone rn and mal on ph has text limits, I can't quote back the old comments.
BlackMirrorxApr 13, 2019 1:54 PM
Apr 13, 2019 11:52 AM

Apr 2019
@Gythia

What I am saying is that your main point " many people dont watch old anime not because of old animation" is wrong.

There are some of Ghibli and the other few old anime that people nowadays really watch mostly bcuz some of them were called masterpiece in their days. And the other anime aren't bcuz old animation is the main reason people these days don't watch, it's obvious. And those anime you mentioned, even their total number is too small to be compared.

So, most of the old anime are being ignored these days because of the old animation which is the main point.

BlackMirrorxApr 13, 2019 1:51 PM
Apr 13, 2019 11:55 AM

Dec 2012
IpreferEcchi said:
Even when there weren't that many anime in the database at the time, especially looking at individual genres?

(And MAL itself was made in the early 2000s, so I'd think anime from then would have the most viewers.)

Probably because this place is a pirate's cove and back then the technology for mass pirating (broadband internet and torrents/streaming) didn't exist until around 2005-2006 for most people. Before that if you were not in Japan and wanted to watch anime you either had to do it legally through the smidgen here and there that was licensed for TV and video or you were trading pirated VHS or DVDs by mail. Add to that nobody but a few ever go back and watch older stuff to begin with and most of MAL wasn't born yet and you have your answer.
KruszerApr 13, 2019 12:07 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 13, 2019 2:59 PM

Jul 2016
People should watch this. It makes for an easy viewing experience.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/309/Akahori_Gedou_Hour_Rabuge
Apr 13, 2019 3:38 PM

Dec 2017
Because that was a transitional period between computer animation and cel animation, a lot of them haven't exactly aged well

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Apr 13, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
At that time I used to rent anime on video or order bootleg dvds instead of rating series
Apr 13, 2019 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Pullman hit the nail on the head, the convenience of seasonal releases in dub and sub on these new networks are just pulling more numbers. They don't require discovery, just like the toonami shows pulled big numbers. I'm not saying anything against those programs, its just when they are hand fed to you and do not require any searching, of course they are gonna generate a fan base. Not to mention a lot of people just anime because its anti trendy trendy. The nyan nyan shouting crossdressing hoodlums wanting to nerd out with the main nerd food groups, keeping up with the nerd times. Eventually they will grow up and explore the vast reaches of the aniverse or stop watching toons all together.

WHO KNOWS, if this fruits basket remastered starts a trend for the 2000's programs getting upgraded, they might not have to go back. I am enjoying the remastered a bunch, and the original is one of my favorite memories, so here is to more shows getting a face lift for the younger generations to appreciate. I would love to say more, but this mini skirt is riding up my ass and a need a lozenge from making cat sounds at conventions all day.

was a joke, honestly. I'm really a pantsuit type cross dresser, ... still joking.
Apr 13, 2019 6:12 PM

Jun 2017
Gythia said:
Because the people viewing anime feel the need to watch every seasonal anime, to "blend in" so they don't have time to watch older anime, and even when they do they only watch the very popular ones, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, etc.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Apr 13, 2019 6:15 PM

Mar 2018
a lot of people dont go back and watch older anime, instead choosing to watch whatever's most convenient for them regardless of quality :/
Apr 13, 2019 6:24 PM

Mar 2019
backdoornight said:

That's a weird gatekeeping but ok :T
Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
Apr 13, 2019 6:37 PM

Apr 2019
@Gythia When op said older anime and when I said older anime, we both know that I am not saying about those semi old stuffs you said like Code Geass, Death note, Natsume. I think the people who replied to this thread will also feel that way. And for Codegeass, I even watch it not too long ago, gives me those modern anime feels.

When I said about the total number, I'm not talking about how many fans those specific old popular anime have, srsly?
I'm talking about the total number of those really older popular anime like ghlibli films which even you have only one in your complete list. And which is also the first example that you set as a really old and popular anime to be compared .
Apr 13, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
People should watch this. It makes for an easy viewing experience.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/309/Akahori_Gedou_Hour_Rabuge
The creator doesn't get any respect around here.

#sadday
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 13, 2019 9:43 PM

Jul 2016
Cabron said:

#sadday

I think you're talking about the director, who has "Awful." on his page comments.

This is the original creator, (plus screenplay and series composition) and he's loved:

https://myanimelist.net/people/2460/Satoru_Akahori
Apr 13, 2019 11:10 PM

Nov 2013
O_Arkano said:
backdoornight said:

That's a weird gatekeeping but ok :T
Kids today don't realize that Censor-kun didn't awaken his hidden potential until the turn of the century. Old anime is where you can find series that are rich with plot ; )
Apr 14, 2019 6:19 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
CreepKillinspree said:
@Gythia When op said older anime and when I said older anime, we both know that I am not saying about those semi old stuffs you said like Code Geass, Death note, Natsume. I think the people who replied to this thread will also feel that way. And for Codegeass, I even watch it not too long ago, gives me those modern anime feels.

When I said about the total number, I'm not talking about how many fans those specific old popular anime have, srsly?
I'm talking about the total number of those really older popular anime like ghlibli films which even you have only one in your complete list. And which is also the first example that you set as a really old and popular anime to be compared .

You're not making any sense here, like I said in my previous post, me only watching 1 Ghibli film doesn't change anything, and if you're talking about the quantity of animes, then that's a given, 1990s to early 2000s anime seasons had an average of 3-8 animes per season(most of them being directed towards kids), and obviously not all of them will deserve a good rating and huge recognition, good animes at the time was VERY rare, not only that, distributing an anime to a large audience was a gamble because
1, It takes alot of time to make.
2, There's no easy way for them to distribute it other than through TV.
3, People that do watch the TV would rather watch infinitely ongoing shows like Dragon Ball, One Piece etc. because they're already guaranteed quality, missing those shows to take a gamble to see if the new shows are good is not something alot of people would do

Post 2001 anime seasons had alot more anime in it because the internet started becoming very popular, and they can profit off that, since then, the amount of animes present in a single season has steadily increased.
WTF what the hell are you talking about here?
We are not arguing " many anime are also produced in the past or how they are also aimed for kids.! everybody can realize that!!" We all know that there is a large quantity of these old anime.
You are just simply inserting these statics just for the sake of you posting that kind of reply here and the one who doesn't make sense here is YOU. Because we are not arguing about it at all.

Okay, don't change the topic again or just get the hell out of here.
1900-2000 old anime are being less watched these days mostly because of the older animation they've, Except for the most popular ones and some of Ghibli flims and still the total number of those anime which are being watched these days is very few. Again, not talking about the number of viewers, talking about the total number of those anime which're being watched these days.
AGREE or not?
BlackMirrorxApr 14, 2019 6:31 AM
Apr 14, 2019 6:31 AM

Jan 2013
IpreferEcchi said:
Cabron said:

#sadday

I think you're talking about the director, who has "Awful." on his page comments.

This is the original creator, (plus screenplay and series composition) and he's loved:

https://myanimelist.net/people/2460/Satoru_Akahori
That's who I'm talking about, not the director lol.

He's loved in that comment section, but who else knows him on MAL in general besides that?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 14, 2019 6:32 AM

Aug 2017
Anime weren't mainstream back then and most of the anime fans are 12 years-old
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2019 6:38 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
CreepKillinspree said:
We are not arguing about many anime are also produced in the past or how they are also aimed for kids.! everybody can realize that!! We all know that there is a large quantity of these old anime.
You are just simply inserting these statics just for the sake of you posting that kind of reply here and the one who doesn't make sense here is you. Because we are not aruging about it at all.

1900-2000 old anime are being less watched these days mostly because of the older animation style they've, Except for the most popular ones and some of Ghibli flims and still the total number of those anime which are being watched these days is very few. Again, not talking about the number of viewers, talking about the total number of those anime which're being watched these days.
Agree or not?

So what you're trying to say is that only a few older anime is being watched today?
Read back...

We are not arguing " many anime were also produced in the past or many of them were also aimed for kids like today anime.! everybody can realize that!!" We all know that there is a large quantity of these old anime.
You are just simply inserting these statics just for the sake of you posting that kind of reply here and the one who doesn't make sense here is YOU. Because we are not arguing about it at all.

1900-2000 old anime are being less watched these days mostly because of the older animation they've, Except for the most popular ones and some of Ghibli flims and still the total number of those anime which are being watched these days is very few. Again, not talking about the number of viewers, talking about the total number of those anime which're being watched these days.
AGREE or not?
BlackMirrorxApr 14, 2019 7:12 AM
Apr 14, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
CreepKillinspree said:
Gythia said:

So what you're trying to say is that only a few older anime is being watched today?
Read back...

We are not arguing " many anime were also produced in the past or many of them were also aimed for kids like today anime.! everybody can realize that!!" We all know that there is a large quantity of these old anime.

AGREE or not?

Well I don't understand what you're trying to say, so if what I'm assuming is what you're trying to say then yeah, I agree.. but so what was wrong in my original post? I said that casual viewers only watch a handful of popular animes, examples being Death Note, Code Geass, and a bunch of Ghibli films
Apr 14, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2019
Lots of my friends can't stand to watch old tv shows/anime. I have no idea why - often older animes and shows are gems, such as the old James Bond movies and Berserk 1997. Also I'm guessing most of the user demographic is pretty young, and therefore they are lacking information on older animes.

Pity, as they are missing out.

Maybe it's due to the square screen format too?

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 14, 2019 11:17 AM

Apr 2019
Because unless it's a really good and popular anime

then there's no need to watch it just to say you're an anime lover.
Early 2000's anime's had a few good anime's, so why bother watching all of it if you're not going to enjoy it anyway.

and also because there are a lot better anime's in the recent decade than in the 2000's

Apr 14, 2019 2:06 PM

Aug 2013
people didn't use internet as much to talk and rate anime back then as we do nowadays. it was less common.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

38 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

90 by shironeko13 »»
6 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9067 by appledude1221 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

26 by JulianR »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

171 by SouthRzVa »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.