Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2017 11:59 PM
Jun 2010
CatSoul said:
The oldest isekai I can think of that were popular in anime fandom (or at least popular enough to get licensed/shown on international TV) are El Hazard and Vision of Escaflowne, which came out in 1995 and 1996 respectively.
Escaflowne was basically a copy of/tribute to Aura Battler Dunbin... aka one of if not THE first Isekai anime EVER. It was created by Yoshiyuki Tomino as part of his Byston Well series.
Aug 7, 2017 6:22 AM
Jun 2016
I think it will be here to stay. Imthink the concept started with SAO, then lo and behold more Isekai Lightnovels
Aug 7, 2017 6:34 AM

Mar 2015
Mariecat1 said:
I think it will be here to stay. Imthink the concept started with SAO, then lo and behold more Isekai Lightnovels

SAO is not even isekai... they are trapped, not transported...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 7, 2017 6:41 AM
Jun 2016
Kuma said:
Mariecat1 said:

Yeah but SAO is what reminds me closest of the isekai novels and it started from there...
Aug 7, 2017 6:56 AM

Mar 2015
Mariecat1 said:
Kuma said:

Yeah but SAO is what reminds me closest of the isekai novels and it started from there...

it does followed by lot more trapped in game kind of story, but it's totaly different fad than isekai... probably indirectly related since both of them fantasy...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 7, 2017 7:04 AM

Sep 2015
Why people count a game world as a isekai story? after SAO arc they free to go back anytime

Webdiver are more isekai than SAO first half first half save everyone who got trapped second half main group become trapped there instead

GangsterCat said:
Digimon, Inuyasha and NG Knight Ramune are older, there are others that I forget.

I don't expect someone still remember NG
Into the Internet!
Jan 20, 2018 3:05 AM
Jul 2015
IMHO, an Isekai Anime with the most Badass MC ever is..... Akatsuki Ousawa from Hagure Yuusha. Too bad we don't get to see Season 2 where he and his friends go back to that other fantasy world of Aleyzard, as I like the Elf lady, Listy, as I'm certain that Listy likes him.

Second best Isekai MC is Izayoi Sakamaki from Mondaijitachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo.

Like Akatsuki, Izayoi too is badass, and those 2 make the MC in Isekai Smartphone look like a robotic brainless emotionless chimp.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 4, 2018 4:47 AM
Jul 2015
LOL, I just found some websites where people discussed about wanting to go to Another World >>> https://www.quora.com/Why-do-I-want-to-escape-reality-and-go-to-another-world-so-much https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100628192001AAtqEv2 http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Wish-I-Could-Enter-The-World-Of-Fantasy/3511301
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Apr 12, 2019 11:20 AM

Sep 2009
Menzo- said:
Askorti said:

But SAO isn't even really an isekai...
I'm pretty sure it is. It ticks all the boxes as to what an isekai anime is so idk what you're talking about.

No they are not they are entirely different genera.

Isekai started completely independant of SAO and is due to the rising popularity of Isekai LN basically flooding the market. But this happened with absolutely no connection to SAO.

SAO is from the "trapped in a game" genera similar to .Hack and perhaps to a lesser extent Digimon which might be considered a cross between Isekai and "trapped in a game" type story as it is a digital based world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Jan 2018
Askorti said:
Menzo- said:
I'm pretty sure it is. It ticks all the boxes as to what an isekai anime is so idk what you're talking about.

Maybe the fact that the MC is "trapped" only in 2 of the 4 arc worlds he visits? Maybe the fact, that he was neither summoned nor had to die to enter that alternative world? Or maybe the fact, that those worlds aren't even "real". (Well, except for the last one, but that's up to much debate) Oh, and add the fact that he returns every time and spends some time in our world before diving in again.

It doesn't require reincarnation ot summoning to be considered isekai, that's just one of the tropes that comes along with the genre.
What a beautiful Duwang
Apr 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Feb 2018
The modern kind of isekai, in which the mc is usually transported to some mmorpg ish world became popular with the adaption of sao.
Apr 12, 2019 1:13 PM

Oct 2012
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Isekai started completely independant of SAO and is due to the rising popularity of Isekai LN basically flooding the market. But this happened with absolutely no connection to SAO.

SAO is from the "trapped in a game" genera similar to .Hack and perhaps to a lesser extent Digimon which might be considered a cross between Isekai and "trapped in a game" type story as it is a digital based world.
Trapped in a game can be seen as a subgenre of isekai. It's almost like you're saying something isn't "transported" as long as the box is locked. By that rationale, UPS doesn't "transport" items, it "traps" items lol. And every anime in which the MC can't immediately return to the real world (e.g. Shield Hero, and most of isekai) would be considered a "Trapped in the world" genre.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 12, 2019 1:24 PM

Sep 2009
katsucats said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Trapped in a game can be seen as a subgenre of isekai. It's almost like you're saying something isn't "transported" as long as the box is locked. By that rationale, UPS doesn't "transport" items, it "traps" items lol. And every anime in which the MC can't immediately return to the real world (e.g. Shield Hero, and most of isekai) would be considered a "Trapped in the world" genre.

"trapped in a game" is not isekai. It's not simply because there is no "Transportation" but the tropes are entirely different.

Trapped in a game stories are focused on survival. The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home.

The game world is also generally given only minimal development as it's generally based on an MMO.

Isekai on the other hand are more adventure type stories. Their cast is much more fleshed out and world building is given a bit more attention.

There are more differences but I think I've said enough. The point is the two genera are NOT the same and "trapped in a game" is not a sub genera of Isekai and this isn't ONLY because of techical things like what counts as "transportation".

The two have entirely different structures, tropes, and origins.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2019 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
The first isekai was narnia or wizard of oz.

The ideal of getting transported to another world is old.

Look at eskaflowne or familiar of zero for anime examples.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 12, 2019 1:46 PM

Oct 2012
Metazoxan_Dexal said:
katsucats said:

"trapped in a game" is not isekai. It's not simply because there is no "Transportation" but the tropes are entirely different.

Trapped in a game stories are focused on survival. The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home.

The game world is also generally given only minimal development as it's generally based on an MMO.

Isekai on the other hand are more adventure type stories. Their cast is much more fleshed out and world building is given a bit more attention.

There are more differences but I think I've said enough. The point is the two genera are NOT the same and "trapped in a game" is not a sub genera of Isekai and this isn't ONLY because of techical things like what counts as "transportation".

Nonsense. There is plenty of world building in SAO and plenty of survival in Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Inuyasha, etc. In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped. In Slime, the hero is permanently transported to the new world (i.e. trapped), and the world resembles a video game. You're just using words arbitrarily.

The only thing the MMO game provides is the mechanism for transportation.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 12, 2019 1:50 PM

Mar 2018
Metazoxan_Dexal said:
katsucats said:

You're just bullshitting here they're all isekai. How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules. All of those have world building heavily based on MMORPGs, have the same recurring tropes and what not. Good luck with that
poop
Apr 12, 2019 2:10 PM

Sep 2009
Esquirtit said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

You're just bullshitting here they're all isekai. How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules. All of those have world building heavily based on MMORPGs, have the same recurring tropes and what not. Good luck with that

Woah WTF? Don't quite get why you are so damn triggered.

Di you think Isekai is something special? That series excluded from it are "unworthy". The purpose of creating genera is to seperate series into categories to make it easy to find similar ones.

SAO is NOT the same kind of show as Isekai series and that's a fact. You can argue until your blue in the face but if your ONLY arguments are that the MC is "trapped" in something then that's a pretty damn weak argument.

Oh also "How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules"

Not sure WTF you tried to prove with that as ONLY Log Horizon and Inuyasha are arguably not Isekai. Even Overlord is clearly Isekai especially since he's not trapped in a game at all he got sent to another world as his game character.

sigh.... okay let me take a step back and try to spell it out this way. Isekai is litterally "In another world" that is what it means. So first of all if they aren't actually IN another world then it's not Isekai.

Another thing to keep in mind is "trapped in a game" actally more or less predates Isekai as a Genera. While you can techncially say things like Inuyasha involve transporting to another world this was before it grew into it's own genera so it doesn't really follow the tropes at all. Also just to be clear Inuyasha is more a Shonen. So although it does involve another world I wouldn't really put it under the Isekai flag.... maybe like.... one of the foundational shows that helped create Isekai... but again it was sort of before Isekai developed it's own genera and is more a Shonen/fantasy series.

yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect.

Isekai on the other hand are structured to follow the rules of reality a lot more. While some will mix game like logic like levels it's still applies in the sense that "What if the real world had levels like in a game".

Even SAO which was suposed to be 90% realistic still bound itself to the rules of a game system very heavily. While the majority of Isekai tend to only go so far as to include levels and skills at best.

So seriously. Not sure what has got you guys pissed but seriously don't act like everything has to be Isekai just because you can maybe force an argument and don't act like everything has to be connected to SAO.... it wasn't that good and the anime industry does have other successful franchises to work with.
MetazoxanApr 12, 2019 2:13 PM
Apr 12, 2019 2:22 PM

Sep 2009
katsucats said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Nonsense. There is plenty of world building in SAO and plenty of survival in Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Inuyasha, etc. In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped. In Slime, the hero is permanently transported to the new world (i.e. trapped), and the world resembles a video game. You're just using words arbitrarily.

The only thing the MMO game provides is the mechanism for transportation.

There is "world building" in SAO but not so much of the game they are in. The game itself is just a cage for them to escape. It doesn't have history, natives, and so on.

Also you don't seem to understand what survival is. A show doesn't count as "survival" if the characters simply have a risk of death. Those are all adventure or war based series. Yes they are trying to live but it's still different.

' In all of the above except Inuyasha, the characters were trapped" Just because you can slap the lable "trapped" on something doesn't mean it's related to "trapped in a game" anime.

For the record not THAT many series followed "trapped in a game" story so it's barely a genera. It's more like a description for a small section of series that are sort of fantasy except the magic and such isn't actually real..............

OMFG it just hit me. One of the major differences between Isekai and "trapped in a game".

Series that involve being inside a game more or less go with the premise that you are playing as a character of this world. You aren't someone from Earth apply their knowledge, skills, or such to this world.

This is a world you cannot influence with real world knowledge. Because it's a fake world. A game made for people of the real world to role play as if they are a part of it.

Just because you become "trapped" doesn't change the nature of the game in that the players are treated as part of this world. So the characters aren't trying to simply return to the real world they are trying to escape from the role of being part of this game world.

Isekai on the other hand are different. The MC is treated as a foreign body. Something outside of the standards of the world they enter. They are able to influence the world with Earth's knowledge and culture and even if the people around them see that person as part of that world the series still treats them as an element that is at least originally foreign.

This might seem like a minor detail but it completely changes the dynamic and is a key point of Isekai that all Isekai share. Which is why being simply "trapped in a game" doesn't count.
Apr 12, 2019 3:01 PM

Mar 2018
Metazoxan_Dexal said:
Esquirtit said:

Di you think Isekai is something special? That series excluded from it are "unworthy". The purpose of creating genera is to seperate series into categories to make it easy to find similar ones.

SAO is NOT the same kind of show as Isekai series and that's a fact. You can argue until your blue in the face but if your ONLY arguments are that the MC is "trapped" in something then that's a pretty damn weak argument.

Oh also "How the hell do you distinguish Overlord, Slime, Grimgar, Shield Hero, Log Horizon by your rules"

Not sure WTF you tried to prove with that as ONLY Log Horizon and Inuyasha are arguably not Isekai. Even Overlord is clearly Isekai especially since he's not trapped in a game at all he got sent to another world as his game character.

sigh.... okay let me take a step back and try to spell it out this way. Isekai is litterally "In another world" that is what it means. So first of all if they aren't actually IN another world then it's not Isekai.

Another thing to keep in mind is "trapped in a game" actally more or less predates Isekai as a Genera. While you can techncially say things like Inuyasha involve transporting to another world this was before it grew into it's own genera so it doesn't really follow the tropes at all. Also just to be clear Inuyasha is more a Shonen.

yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect.

Isekai on the other hand are structured to follow the rules of reality a lot more. While some will mix game like logic like levels it's still applies in the sense that "What if the real world had levels like in a game".

Even SAO which was suposed to be 90% realistic still bound itself to the rules of a game system very heavily. While the majority of Isekai tend to only go so far as to include levels and skills at best.

So seriously. Not sure what has got you guys pissed but seriously don't act like everything has to be Isekai just because you can maybe force an argument and don't act like everything has to be connected to SAO.... it wasn't that good and the anime industry does have other successful franchises to work with.
I'm not triggered lol it's just the things you said didn't make sense to but now it does if Overlord takes place in a new world. I only finished season 1 but didnt he just get stuck or transported into the game while the game was supposed to be closed? And just like Log Horizon all these npc's change, only big difference I can remember is that Momanga seems to be the only one who transported. Been a while to remember important details so I'm probably wrong anyway.

My point was that both Overlord and Slime have maincharacters who didn't care about going back to the real world but Overlord takes place in a new world and not in a game my bad

And then there's Shield Hero who has a MC who wants to back home while not stuck in a game. You said "The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home" I think this is something that occurs both in stories with game worlds and new worlds. Same with world building and fleshing out characters, it can happen in both settings.

"yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect." I guess this why Log Horizon is arguable? Tbh the fact that a show like Log Horizon is not considered isekai by some says enough how thin the line is between what's isekai and what not

A show like SAO has so much common with shows you believe to be real isekai that's why I disagree with it not being isekai lol. And not just because he's trapped, it's the fact the characters have to grow accustomed to living in this new virtual world

And no I don't have a problem with trashy SAO not being labeled as isekai by a minorty lol
poop
Apr 12, 2019 3:09 PM

Nov 2013
flannan said:
GamerDLM said:
(Excluding Alice in Wonderland)

You'll have to exclude a lot. One of the oldest fantasy book series, Narnia, is isekai.
And before that, there were stories like Gulliver's Travels.

If you want to limit yourself to anime, AniDB easily gives an answer:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?wishlist=0&vote=0&type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&tagid=6744&show=tag&reltb=animetb&orderby.name=1.1&orderby.airdate=0.1&notification=0&noalias=1&mylist=0&h=0&do.update=update&cleanurl=1&cat.minweight=0&airing=0
Aura Battler Dunbine was there first, in 1983.

Gulliver's Travels is not an isekai. The whole story happens in the same world.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
โ€• Saint Augustine
Apr 12, 2019 3:14 PM
May 2017
hazarddex said:
The first isekai was narnia or wizard of oz.

The ideal of getting transported to another world is old.

Look at eskaflowne or familiar of zero for anime examples.

i'm pretty sure the Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno, Dante's Purgatorio, Dante's Paradiso) counts as the first isekai
Apr 13, 2019 1:02 AM

Nov 2009
KRKodama said:
flannan said:

You'll have to exclude a lot. One of the oldest fantasy book series, Narnia, is isekai.
And before that, there were stories like Gulliver's Travels.

If you want to limit yourself to anime, AniDB easily gives an answer:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?wishlist=0&vote=0&type.web=1&type.unknown=1&type.tvspecial=1&type.tvseries=1&type.ova=1&type.other=1&type.musicvideo=1&type.movie=1&tagid=6744&show=tag&reltb=animetb&orderby.name=1.1&orderby.airdate=0.1&notification=0&noalias=1&mylist=0&h=0&do.update=update&cleanurl=1&cat.minweight=0&airing=0
Aura Battler Dunbine was there first, in 1983.

Gulliver's Travels is not an isekai. The whole story happens in the same world.

But the basic concept remains the same - a large place that runs on different principles and is worth exploring, visited by a person like the reader/viewer.
Which is why I'd say that SAO may be considered an isekai (the game they're playing matters), but Netoge no Yome has nothing to do with that.
Apr 13, 2019 3:26 AM

Mar 2017
To put it simply, SAO is considered to be Isekai, but not a pure one, since it transports you into a game world instead of different world.

A pure Isekai is like Tensei Slime Shittara datta ken or KonoSuba. Where you get transported into another real world / dimension.

https://tanoshimi.xyz/2018/04/17/isekai-a-world-of-possibilities/ This article provides an insight regarding Isekai, and is a good read tbh.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 14, 2019 11:00 AM

Nov 2013
When a truck met a hikki in a traffic accident.
May 11, 2019 10:00 AM
Jun 2010
Paul_Levesque said:
To put it simply, SAO is considered to be Isekai, but not a pure one, since it transports you into a game world instead of different world.

A pure Isekai is like Tensei Slime Shittara datta ken or KonoSuba. Where you get transported into another real world / dimension.

https://tanoshimi.xyz/2018/04/17/isekai-a-world-of-possibilities/ This article provides an insight regarding Isekai, and is a good read tbh.
that's only true of the first season. After they get out, it stops being one.
May 11, 2019 11:35 AM

Feb 2019
The Bible is the first isekai, because God trapped Jesus on Earth.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
May 11, 2019 12:28 PM
Jun 2010
MadHobbit2 said:
The Bible is the first isekai, because God trapped Jesus on Earth.
but he could have "logged out" any time he wanted. So he wasn't exactly trapped. XD
Nov 26, 2019 7:56 AM
Nov 2019
About SAO, I really don't want to categorize it isekai. If virtual reality can included in isekai then Matrix is also isekai? how about dreams like Inception? does dream counts parallel world since conscious isn't exactly in reality? or partially parallel reality like in persona series? even if its partial, parallel reality count as another reality right? ugh, my head hurts...
Nov 26, 2019 8:05 AM
Apr 2016
Nah this one is too old not posting he oh shiiiiiiiiiie
Bunnydb said:
About SAO, I really don't want to categorize it isekai. If virtual reality can included in isekai then Matrix is also isekai? how about dreams like Inception? does dream counts parallel world since conscious isn't exactly in reality? or partially parallel reality like in persona series? even if its partial, parallel reality count as another reality right? ugh, my head hurts...

You really do not want to do a mistake, and hopefully no one else wants to as well - Sword Art Online is a science-fiction, it deals with concepts and narratives way more complex than what most "isekai" even scratch. To be even more precise, "isekai" uses a complete transportation from one world to another (fantasy mostly, as per pathetic genre rule) world. SAO EVEN IN THE BEGINNING was different, as the player was not transported - he was stranded with all the knowledge of what is going on. And he was not alone, even. Contrast Caligula Effect - basically the same thing. Would you dare call it an "isekai"? You better not even try.
To be completely honest some series do have twists that this whole experience of another world was just a VR/AR, however, this trait is now lost to the history as it makes your series... WHOLESOME! And something like wholesome-ness can not be a part of a successful "isekai" in Japan. The masses of deranged Japanese will not even touch it.
Re:formed
Nov 26, 2019 8:10 AM
Nov 2019
Esquirtit said:
Metazoxan_Dexal said:

Another thing to keep in mind is "trapped in a game" actally more or less predates Isekai as a Genera. While you can techncially say things like Inuyasha involve transporting to another world this was before it grew into it's own genera so it doesn't really follow the tropes at all. Also just to be clear Inuyasha is more a Shonen.

I'm not triggered lol it's just the things you said didn't make sense to but now it does if Overlord takes place in a new world. I only finished season 1 but didnt he just get stuck or transported into the game while the game was supposed to be closed? And just like Log Horizon all these npc's change, only big difference I can remember is that Momanga seems to be the only one who transported. Been a while to remember important details so I'm probably wrong anyway.

My point was that both Overlord and Slime have maincharacters who didn't care about going back to the real world but Overlord takes place in a new world and not in a game my bad

And then there's Shield Hero who has a MC who wants to back home while not stuck in a game. You said "The MC is generally made to have a unique skill or something to make him the hero but the focus is still more heavily leaned towards survival with the ultimate goal being returning back home" I think this is something that occurs both in stories with game worlds and new worlds. Same with world building and fleshing out characters, it can happen in both settings.

"yes another thing to keep in mind is that "trapped in a game" rely entirely on Videogame logic. Everything is managed by the system. follows game rules, has NPC, guilds, ect." I guess this why Log Horizon is arguable? Tbh the fact that a show like Log Horizon is not considered isekai by some says enough how thin the line is between what's isekai and what not

A show like SAO has so much common with shows you believe to be real isekai that's why I disagree with it not being isekai lol. And not just because he's trapped, it's the fact the characters have to grow accustomed to living in this new virtual world

And no I don't have a problem with trashy SAO not being labeled as isekai by a minorty lol

So complicated lol, I thought main point of isekai is whether MC is in another world or not?
And growing accustomed to new world argument make it like Avatar(James Cameron's) is isekai....
Nov 26, 2019 8:21 AM
Nov 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Nah this one is too old not posting he oh shiiiiiiiiiie
Bunnydb said:

You really do not want to do a mistake, and hopefully no one else wants to as well - Sword Art Online is a science-fiction, it deals with concepts and narratives way more complex than what most "isekai" even scratch. To be even more precise, "isekai" uses a complete transportation from one world to another (fantasy mostly, as per pathetic genre rule) world. SAO EVEN IN THE BEGINNING was different, as the player was not transported - he was stranded with all the knowledge of what is going on. And he was not alone, even. Contrast Caligula Effect - basically the same thing. Would you dare call it an "isekai"? You better not even try.
To be completely honest some series do have twists that this whole experience of another world was just a VR/AR, however, this trait is now lost to the history as it makes your series... WHOLESOME! And something like wholesome-ness can not be a part of a successful "isekai" in Japan. The masses of deranged Japanese will not even touch it.

Wholesome.... that remind me two episodic cooking anime with isekai in title
Nov 26, 2019 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
AnimePixelz said:
idk but maybe sao, but i think it really took off when re:zero was airing. i'm re watching now and fuck it still gets me everything, the feels just come back. soooo good

There are isekai shows from the 80s, I just can't remember their names.
Jan 9, 2023 4:38 PM

Jan 2010
I'm surprised nobody has shared this video from Crunchyroll about the history of Isekai anime genre that pre-dated Sword Art Online:

I mean I would cite and credit Aura Battler Dunbine for being the 1st anime to create the modern Isekai:

What I find unacceptable is that given the popularity of Isekai genre, you would think that fans of that genre would be giving Aura Battler Dunbine the love it deserve from Isekai fanbase, but nope.  This is what I find frustrating with Isekai fanbase, and this is really sad: Aura Battler Dunbine is dangerously ignored by the same Isekai fanbase.  I find that unacceptable as someone who isn't even an Isekai fan, but I believe Isekai anime fans need to watch titles that pre-date SAO that include Aura Battler Dunbine in order to be a good isekai fan.

Speaking of Sword Art Online, I find it more disturbing that SAO fans aren't giving .Hack franchise the love it deserve since SAO owe it's inspiration to .Hack.  I mean I'm getting report from .Hack fanbase about SAO fans calling .Hack a ripoff of SAO despite .Hack pre-dated SAO, and I'm not making this up:

.Hack Reddit: You Know You're Old When SAO Fans Think .Hack is a Rip-Off of SAO

How on earth do SAO fans not bother to investigate .Hack's influence on SAO???  Also even today, .Hack fans are baffled why .Hack didn't get the mainstream popularity recognition it deserve when SAO was able to do that.  I mean .Hack has become obscure and SAO's popularity is not helping the franchise's obscurity.  Where are the SAO fans calling for their fanbase to help .Hack franchise get the love & recognition it deserve?

That's why I get really frustrated with the Isekai fanbase!!!

Also, I found this interesting gem from the 80's, it's a 3 minute animated promo for the NES/Famicom port of Valis: The Fantasm Soldier, and if you're an Isekai fan you can tell where this is going.  Oh, and Kill la Kill fan may notice similarities in this promo:

Yep, this promo was directed by Hideaki Anno (of Evangelion fame, and founder of Gainax), and Katsuhiko Nishijima (creator/director of Project A-Ko).  See this promo for the video game has Isekai before Sword Art Online was even a thing.
mdo7Jan 9, 2023 4:50 PM
Jan 9, 2023 4:49 PM

Jan 2008
Isekai has been around for decades, but it seemed to really BLOW UP, after Outbreak Company aired in 2013. One of my favorite older Isekai's is Escaflowne.
๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ.
Jan 9, 2023 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
Dessssy said:
Pretty sure Alice in Wonderland is the first "trapped in another world" story. But I think after SAO there was a big influx of isekai series.

^ + Narnia is pretty old as well.

For anime, Magic Knight Rayearth and Digimon are quite old.
Jan 9, 2023 8:24 PM

Jun 2007
mdo7 said:

What I find unacceptable is that given the popularity of Isekai genre, you would think that fans of that genre would be giving Aura Battler Dunbine the love it deserve from Isekai fanbase, but nope.  This is what I find frustrating with Isekai fanbase, and this is really sad: Aura Battler Dunbine is dangerously ignored by the same Isekai fanbase.  I find that unacceptable as someone who isn't even an Isekai fan, but I believe Isekai anime fans need to watch titles that pre-date SAO that include Aura Battler Dunbine in order to be a good isekai fan.
I'd say Dunbine is more of a "classic" isekai than a modern one, and that present day "isekai fans" are not so much fans of the overall genre, as they are fans of "Narou-Type Isekai." As explained here, modern isekai owes a lot more to Familiar of Zero fanfics and the original stories they inspired (like Jobless Reincarnation and Re:Zero) than it does to classic isekai like Dunbine, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Harukanaru Toki, Twelve Kingdoms, Kyou Kara Maou, El-Hazard, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc.. Being noteworthy in the isekai genre isn't going to make younger viewers overlook Dunbine being from the early 80s, in 4:3, and having unfamiliar/"outdated" character designs. And it's worth noting that Aura Battler Dunbine was a spectacular sales bomb when it first came out in the US in 2003-05, despite its "classic isekai" successors being much newer and fresher in the viewerbase's minds at the time. At least we got the legendary spinoff Garzey's Wing from the franchise.

Speaking of Sword Art Online, I find it more disturbing that SAO fans aren't giving .Hack franchise the love it deserve since SAO owe its inspiration to .Hack.  I mean I'm getting report from .Hack fanbase about SAO fans calling .Hack a ripoff of SAO despite .Hack pre-dated SAO, and I'm not making this up:

.Hack Reddit: You Know You're Old When SAO Fans Think .Hack is a Rip-Off of SAO

It's not surprising that historical memory is in short supply among younger viewers and readers, although as some comments in that thread point out, the original entries in the franchises came out in the 1999-2001 range, and didn't have the 10-year separation between the first .hack anime and Sword Art Online S1. And it's also possible that SAO fans might've encountered some of the later .hack entries like Quantum and Beyond the World, which did come out around the same time as the SAO anime. But as with Dunbine, viewers who're used to the modern/recent look of the SAO are probably not going to go for the distinctly "early-2000s digipaint" .hack series, no matter how relevant they are as precursors to SAO.
Jan 9, 2023 9:19 PM

Dec 2008
Alice in wonderland and narnia are isekai series
Jan 9, 2023 9:44 PM
Aug 2021
Well Jesus coming to earth was the first isekai, but we had a different term for it back then
Jan 9, 2023 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Npclucario said:
Well Jesus coming to earth was the first isekai, but we had a different term for it back then

Kami no ko to shite saikyล no kiseki no sukiru ~ tsumibito o sukuu tankyลซ ~' de i sekai ni okurikoma reru
("Sent to the other world as god's son with the strongest 'miracle skill' - the quest to safe the sinners")
Jan 9, 2023 10:01 PM

Oct 2013
Askorti said:
Menzo- said:

Maybe the fact that the MC is "trapped" only in 2 of the 4 arc worlds he visits? Maybe the fact, that he was neither summoned nor had to die to enter that alternative world? Or maybe the fact, that those worlds aren't even "real". (Well, except for the last one, but that's up to much debate) Oh, and add the fact that he returns every time and spends some time in our world before diving in again.
That last point isn't unique to SAO. I'm pretty sure they went back and forth in Dog Days as well, and that was an actual "isekai. Aside from that, 100% agree that SAO doesn't count. If we're counting that, we might as well count time travel series where characters change timelines, since an alt timeline is pretty much a "different world".
Jan 9, 2023 10:04 PM

Jan 2010
Oh Hi @Zalis, I didn't know you have a presence on MAL, and yes I'm that same person if it hasn't occurred to you.

Zalis said:
I'd say Dunbine is more of a "classic" isekai than a modern one, and that present day "isekai fans" are not so much fans of the overall genre, as they are fans of "Narou-Type Isekai." As explained here, modern isekai owes a lot more to Familiar of Zero fanfics and the original stories they inspired (like Jobless Reincarnation and Re:Zero) than it does to classic isekai like Dunbine, Fushigi Yuugi, Escaflowne, Harukanaru Toki, Twelve Kingdoms, Kyou Kara Maou, El-Hazard, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc..

I understand that, but doesn't most of the Isekai titles can still trace back to Aura Battler Dunbine, it's still no excuse for Isekai fans to dangerously ignore & disregard Dunbine given the significance of that anime.  I could say the same for SAO fans not giving .Hack franchise the love it deserved while .Hack fanbase are not happy that SAO are getting all the hype when .Hack should've been the one that deserve all the credits.  Hence why .Hack fans are frustrated with SAO fans when SAO fans called .Hack franchise a rip-off of SAO despite .Hack pre-dated SAO.

Zalis said:
Being noteworthy in the isekai genre isn't going to make younger viewers overlook Dunbine being from the early 80s, in 4:3, and having unfamiliar/"outdated" character designs. And it's worth noting that Aura Battler Dunbine was a spectacular sales bomb when it first came out in the US in 2003-05, despite its "classic isekai" successors being much newer and fresher in the viewerbase's minds at the time.

So what?  Tiger & Bunny failed when it first came out and that show pre-dated My Hero Academia by a few years.  Did that stop MHA fans from telling their fanbase to give love & support to Tiger & Bunny and going as far as to tell their fans to watch T&B's 2nd season.  

My Hero Academia fanbase knows Tiger & Bunny had similarities to MHA, and the fanbase know T&B came out first.  That's why MHA fanbase made sure T&B is given the same attention & love it deserve and hopefully give that show a 2nd shot of gaining more mainstream fanbase it should've gotten back in 2011.  

I can say the same for Hajime No Ippo fans calling on their fanbase to support Ashita No Joe, and it seem to be paying off.  I've even seen Evangelion getting resurgence recently not only because it's a anime classic with pop culture relevance, I've found out that fans of Kill la Kill and Studio Trigger's works may have played a role on keeping Evangelion & Gurren Lagann relevant today despite that anime came out decades ago.  I mean I'm seeing fans of Studio Trigger making Evangelion and Gainax's work being prioritized on their watch list for their fanbase if they're going to continue to watch Studio Trigger's animation work.  You still have Gundam fans today still watching Mobile Suit Gundam (& probably other older Gundam series) despite the aged animation.

I don't see that type of activism within the SAO/Isekai fandom to push their fanbase to make sure to give Aura Battler Dunbine, Escaflowne, and other pre-SAO Isekai anime to be given the same love & appreciation the current Isekai anime titles are getting.  An Isekai boom would've lead to Isekai fans re-discovering Isekai genre that pre-dated SAO and modern recent Isekai titles coming out today.

My point is that it shouldn't be that hard for someone who watched SAO, or any recent Isekai anime titles to prioritize watching Aura Battler Dunbine, and .Hack franchise along with classic older Isekai anime titles like Fushigi Yugi, Escaflowne, Magic Knight Reyearth, NG Knight Lamune, etc...

Zalis said:
It's not surprising that historical memory is in short supply among younger viewers and readers, although as some comments in that thread point out, the original entries in the franchises came out in the 1999-2001 range, and didn't have the 10-year separation between the first .hack anime and Sword Art Online S1. And it's also possible that SAO fans might've encountered some of the later .hack entries like Quantum and Beyond the World, which did come out around the same time as the SAO anime. But as with Dunbine, viewers who're used to the modern/recent look of the SAO are probably not going to go for the distinctly "early-2000s digipaint" .hack series, no matter how relevant they are as precursors to SAO.

Age shouldn't matter for how to watch animation, if you have a SAO fan who did their research carefully then they're the one that are likely to give .Hack franchise including the anime adaptation a try.  I'm a anime fan who is 35 years old, did that stop me from watching 70's, and 80's anime.  No it didn't.  Why do I watch retro anime, because I found something attractive in 80's anime that I can't find in today's anime, and the reason I watched anime from the 70's is because I like to appreciate older animation. My point is that no matter how old that anime is, don't judge the animation by their cover, judge it by the content. 

I don't ruled out older fans of .Hack franchise may have tried to reach out to SAO fanbase to convince them to watch .Hack as a history tool, I don't know how successful the .Hack fans did to convince some of the fanbase, but they probably had some success.

But overall, my point is that it's unacceptable for someone who called themselves Isekai fans without watching the older classic that came out before SAO.  I know you can't force many of them to watch the older classic, but if they bother to did their research, then they would know that SAO wasn't the first of it's kind.
mdo7Jan 9, 2023 10:17 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

18 by animegamer245 »»
37 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

82 by LostSpectre »»
40 seconds ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 5 minutes ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
14 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.