Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2019 5:47 PM

Jul 2009
Each year, April Fools' Day gives a chance for creators in the anime, manga, and games industry to showcase their creativity. With the popularity of social media in recent years, many of these expressions of creativity become viral easily. Below is a selection of this year's official April Fools' jokes released by the anime and related industries.

Anime

B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious
Members of the fictional idol unit B-PROJECT, who were parodied as children in last year's April Fools' Day, have grown up to become members of BAMBI-PROJECT.

Boku no Hero Academia
The upcoming second movie of Boku no Hero Academia, scheduled for 2020, will be titled Dai Kaijuu Bakugo. A theatrical poster in the style of classic Godzilla film posters was also revealed.

Bungou Stray Dogs
On the official website of the Bungou Stray Dogs anime series, new key visuals were released for a parody anime titled Gakuen Bungou Stray Dogs. It continues a prank which began on April Fools' Day in 2016.

Fairy Gone
P.A. Works hired artist Takashi Mifune, creator of the free illustration website Irasutoya, to create a new trailer for the Spring 2019 anime Fairy Gone featuring the series characters in chibi form. A spin-off web series titled Fairingo will also begin streaming on April 10.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
The official website of the anime series Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? announces a spin-off robot anime titled Clockwork Rabbit: Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, which features Tippy as a rabbit robot.

Gotoubun no Hanayome
Winter 2019's high school romantic comedy anime Gotoubun no Hanayome announced a spin-off work titled Mahou Shoujo Magical Raiha to Gotoubun no Majo, featuring Raiha Uesugi as the main protagonist.

Hibike! Euphonium
Kyoto Animation announces that the upcoming third movie of Hibike! Euphonium, which will open in theaters in Japan on April 19, is being retitled Tuba-kun no Daibouken: Ushinawareta Ougon no Mouthpiece. The movie will feature mascot characters for the instruments from the series.

Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun
The official Twitter account of the Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun manga announces a candy ("ame") adaptation of the work's title character. An anime adaptation was already announced last month.

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze
Leone Abbacchio, a character from JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze known for mixing urine in tea, will have his signature brew released as an actual product. Seiyuu Junichi Suwabe, who voices the character, is also promoting the drink.

Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka?
Ahead of its Summer 2019 broadcast, the school romantic comedy anime Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? is elevating the female character Yuika Koga to become the show's main protagonist. Therefore, the show's title is being changed to Kawaikereba Hentai demo Yuika wo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka?

Kenja no Mago
Sage Merlin Walford from the Spring 2019 anime Kenja no Mago will make his singing debut, covering the 1999 song "Mago" by famed enka singer Itsurou Ooizumi.

Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO
The official website of the Spring 2019 anime Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO was transformed into a typical Japanese website layout of the 1990s. The original visual novel of the work was first released in 1996.

Love Live! Sunshine!!
The fictional Uranohoshi Girls' High School opens a mock entrance examination website for students interested in applying to the school. Test takers are given a rating evaluation based on how well they perform in the mock examination.

Made in Abyss
Due to various circumstances, the third Made in Abyss movie scheduled for January 2020 is being retitled from Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei to Maruruk-chan no Nichijou. It features the supporting character Maruruk as the main protagonist.

Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume
Visual novel publisher Key announces an anime titled Choujigen Senkan Planetarian Movie: Seiza Oboeteimasuka will be released on April 1, 2049. It parodies the 1984 anime movie Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fine
The official website of the upcoming Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fine anime movie announces a Hollywood live-action film adaptation. A teaser promotional video was also released. On April Fools' Day in 2017, a parody live-action film was also announced.

Sarazanmai
Supernatural fantasy anime Sarazanmai is changing the premise of its story into a show about sushi. The show's logo has been redesigned as an homage to the restaurant chain Sushizanmai. Characters from the series also make a pose similar to that of the chain's founder, the "Tuna King" Kiyoshi Kimura.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
The official website of the anime Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai announces a spin-off movie titled Haru no Mirai, starring Mai Sakurajima as its protagonist. Visitors to the Gamers and animate stores in Akihabara were able to receive a postcard version of the movie poster.

Star☆Twinkle Precure
Toei Animation announces a spin-off work of Star☆Twinkle Precure, to be titled Fuwa☆Twinkle Precure and featuring the adventures of the fairy Fuwa.

Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000%
Beginning April 1, 2019, the Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ franchise is releasing boxed smoothies as a new line of licensed products. The products are named "Yasai 1000% Prince Smoothie."

Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou
Seiyuu unit Run Girls, Run!, which were formed in 2017 for the Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou series, rename themselves to Dan Balls, Dan!, a pun on the Japanese word for cardboard box. They will also release a new single titled "Shakitto Start," a play on the original group's second CD single, "Kiratto Start."

Yakusoku no Neverland
The official website of the Yakusoku no Neverland announces the opening of a real life Grace Field Nursery beginning April 1, 2019. The nursery is accepting enrollment applications for children ages 1 to 12.

Yuru Camp△ and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Characters from Yuru Camp△ and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho exchange story settings in two new spin-off works, titled Yamanashi yori mo Tooi Basho and Sora Camp△.

Zombieland Saga
The comedy anime Zombieland Saga announces the production of a film titled Camera wo Tomemasu., a collaboration among Japan, the United States, China, and Kosovo. The film will be directed by Koutarou Tatsumi.

Other

Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu.
Following the success of Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu., mangaka Hashigo Sakurabi announces a "school battle love comedy" work featuring the lead characters from the series. The work will be titled Dakaretai Otoko-tachi ga Tatakatteimasu!!

Fate/Grand Order
Aniplex launches a Fate/Grand Order mobile game spin-off titled Fate/Grand Order Quest on iOS and Android platforms, which is playable on April 1 and 2. It parodies the famed role-playing game Dragon Quest.

Hoshi no Kirby
Video game developers Nintendo and HAL Laboratory announce that they are redesigning the character Kirby into Square Kirby. The franchise also unveiled a new product line-up featuring the new character design.

Interlink
Interlink, a Japanese web domain registry, unveils a virtual YouTuber named Anguilla Ai to represent the top-level domain .ai, which is assigned to the Caribbean island of Anguilla but is often used by artificial intelligence companies.

Toho Tokusatsu
The official YouTube channel of Toho Tokusatsu, which is dedicated to Toho's Godzilla franchise, has uploaded a teaser of the side character Jet Jaguar.

Weekly Shounen Jump
Editors of Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump announces the magazine's merger with Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine. The new publication will be titled Shounen Janmaga.

Source: animate Times, Gigazine

← Previous Year
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Apr 2, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
I still love the square Kirby xD
Apr 2, 2019 6:54 PM

May 2016
gotta admit, Neverland's Nursery is morbidly amusing

Apr 2, 2019 7:23 PM

Aug 2016
The YnN could actually make a good tv advertisement.
:v
Apr 2, 2019 9:22 PM

Oct 2018
the promised neverland ....wtf XD
Apr 2, 2019 9:34 PM

Feb 2008
The Zombieland Saga one...kind of funny but not so funny...last year I walked by the movie poster they copied more than a few times.... http://kametome.net/index.html
Apr 2, 2019 9:37 PM

Nov 2007
arsonal said:
Zombieland Saga
The comedy anime Zombieland Saga announces the production of a film titled Camera wo Tomemasu., a collaboration among Japan, the United States, China, and Kosovo. The film will be directed by Koutarou Tatsumi.
On a note, the title is also the parody of the movie Camera wo Tomeru na! (One Cut of the Dead), an "indies" movie with low production cost but received various awards from Japan and the world.

Edit: Ah, deguy also mentioned it.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 2, 2019 10:47 PM

Nov 2011
I wish the Made in Abyss was real lol
Apr 2, 2019 11:44 PM

Apr 2013
Awww you forgot about the Pokémon April Fool's where Garigari-kun was announced to have a role in Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

Love the square Kirby one.
Apr 3, 2019 12:56 AM

Feb 2007
arsonal said:
Yakusoku no Neverland
The official website of the Yakusoku no Neverland announces the opening of a real life Grace Field Nursery beginning April 1, 2019. The nursery is accepting enrollment applications for children ages 1 to 12.

Dear god... Brilliant, though, dark humor at its best. :D
Apr 3, 2019 1:01 AM

Jul 2013
The ones from JoJo and Neverland are easily the best.
Apr 3, 2019 2:56 AM

Mar 2015
arsonal said:

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze
Leone Abbacchio, a character from JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze known for mixing urine in tea, will have his signature brew released as an actual product. Seiyuu Junichi Suwabe, who voices the character, is also promoting the drink.

wish this was real :/
Apr 3, 2019 3:17 AM

Sep 2014
But I DO want these BnHA, Bunny Senpai and Zombieland Saga movies now! ;______;
The Neverland one tho...
Apr 3, 2019 4:11 AM

Mar 2012

Bandori is now isekai and the world is oversee by bread loving Mokagami-sama.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 3, 2019 5:22 AM

Aug 2018
I'll gladly take a crossover between Yuru Camp and SoraYori to make the perfect slice of life anime ever created.
Apr 3, 2019 5:47 AM

Jan 2015
Damn would have loved to watch the Made in Abyss one. The picture is so neat tho
Apr 3, 2019 9:56 AM

Aug 2012
Man, i wish the Yuru Camp & Sora yori mo Tooi Basho crossover was real.
Apr 3, 2019 10:46 AM

Mar 2018
Neverland's joke has the best idea. Agree with everyone else that Made in Abyss and Yuru Camp x Sora yori crossover should be real.

Apr 3, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Come on, they could have tried a little harder.
Apr 3, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2015
stop doing these irrelevant threads and make the BD and DVD sales thread instead
Apr 3, 2019 12:32 PM

May 2014
Wow I can't believe Abbacchio was paid to advertise Mountain Dew
AlyssaApr 3, 2019 12:52 PM
Apr 3, 2019 2:04 PM

Dec 2017
laughed at the neverland one. was a good joke. everything else was kinda meh

would fucking watch the gotoubun and yuru camp/ sora yori spin-offs tho
uninstallthegameApr 5, 2019 11:38 AM
Apr 3, 2019 3:31 PM

Dec 2014
What's not funny is that I would totally watch some of those joke spinoffs. XD
Apr 3, 2019 4:53 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Dust- said:
April Fools' Day as unfunny as ever... Amazing!

It has become tradiction to people do this, to me it just feels like they are forcing it, since there is a mentality you have to follow the herd and do it yourself to be cool and all, and then most jokes are just cringy or facepalm.

Ponds667 said:

Yeah, it was the only one I found funny, also it gets even more impact with your avatar lol.
Apr 3, 2019 5:04 PM

May 2016
Playcool said:

Ponds667 said:

Yeah, it was the only one I found funny, also it gets even more impact with your avatar lol.

Oh, does my avatar give off that kind of vibe? :P

Apr 3, 2019 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
in Idolmaster Million Live, they made a 1-day rpg style fighting game featuring the girls, while in idolmaster cinderella girls, they did a "find nono" 1-day event.
gameplay footage:
millions live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xSL--23FzwM

deresute:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qW7majqBc8
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 3, 2019 11:11 PM

Jul 2015
https://twitter.com/V_SAGA_ANIME/status/1112606001209831425 Vinland Saga had the best one tbh, way too much effort put into it lol
Sup...
Apr 4, 2019 12:54 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Ponds667 said:
Playcool said:

Like you stumbled upon some dark secret or something.
Apr 4, 2019 4:44 AM

May 2016
Playcool said:
Ponds667 said:

It's actually from Toradora, it's a super comedic moment just from juxtaposing this happy show with that dark and high quality art freeze frame

Apr 4, 2019 6:15 AM
Sep 2017
That P-Neverland was so funny, they are using real people as MOM and SISTER

Also i would want to have a 2nd season of Yuru Camp and Sora yori mo toi basho

Apr 4, 2019 4:02 PM

Dec 2015
Okay but can we also appreciate how beautiful Enstars and Utapri games collaborated for April 1st (2nd screenshot is not mine)

What's more they legit have voiced substories of their collab live and something that links to their official website (didn't check so idk about the details) over Enstars (idk about Utapri bc I'm not playing it due to OS issues but I feel they have the same features for that prank)

Now petitioning for them to do an official one lol

set by mal secret santa 2023
Apr 4, 2019 11:07 PM

Mar 2019
Nice compilation, thanks for putting in the ground work. Call me easily amused, but I always get a kick out of the more clever April Fool's Day inania, and find the weaker efforts harmless. The Jojo urine tea bit puts a smile on my face, which must mean my MENSA card is in the mail.
Apr 5, 2019 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
Only one I thought was kind of funny was the Jojo one...
Apr 7, 2019 2:18 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Ponds667 said:
Playcool said:

It's actually from Toradora, it's a super comedic moment just from juxtaposing this happy show with that dark and high quality art freeze frame

Damm, you right, that is the dude from Toradora, NICE!
Apr 10, 2019 6:10 AM
Jun 2016
Can we like, actually get those Sora Yori and Yuru Camp crossovers.
Apr 10, 2019 9:21 PM
May 2016
I think my favourite April Fools prank this year was Sega releasing this trailer for Yakuza Online

Sega.... if you make this a real game I will give you ALL of my money
Apr 30, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2018
I want abba tea to be real, who wouldn't love to drink the tea of goth man?

More topics from this board

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
57 minutes ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
2 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.