Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 7, 2019 1:22 AM

Mar 2017
Dororo's past.
That scene where Dororo's mother took the boiling food in her hand. Boy it was painful to watch.

So Dororo's gender is finally confirmed. Female I see.
Mar 7, 2019 9:19 AM

Dec 2014
ok so dororo past revealed... and gender too..though I still consider her as a boy
Mar 7, 2019 10:57 AM

Dec 2016
Damn Dororo has a pretty sad and gruesome backstory, ya hate to see it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 7, 2019 3:14 PM
Mar 2018
The episode was really heartwarming and the little sad.
Mar 7, 2019 6:48 PM
May 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:
They changed Dororo's story so much. She was much smaller when Itachi betrayed them. Also her mother died in the snow in a blizzard while holding Dororo in her arms and protecting her from the cold. Also it was not the samurai giving the food but monks.
sounds like nothing that materially alters the story ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2019 7:48 PM

Dec 2017
Wow didnt expect that. Great episode.
Mar 7, 2019 10:05 PM

Aug 2012
KingKatsura said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
They changed Dororo's story so much. She was much smaller when Itachi betrayed them. Also her mother died in the snow in a blizzard while holding Dororo in her arms and protecting her from the cold. Also it was not the samurai giving the food but monks.
sounds like nothing that materially alters the story ?
It has to do with the ability some people have to remember stuff from when they were really small. It also increases the dramatism. In the original anime Dororo is really happy despite it all until her mother dies. This increases the shock.
Mar 8, 2019 11:29 AM

Oct 2010
There is a shot in OP where Dororo does 'oni' (horns). First time I saw it I thought: 'She is a girl! No way it can be a boy.' Now confirmed.

As for Hyakki-Dororo relations, he can only see souls so gender does not matter.
Unless you are ready to be sued by feminists by saying female soul is different from male soul.
And one more. He probably have prosthetic there too. I mean 'there'.
Mar 8, 2019 12:47 PM

Jan 2015
Finally flashback about Dororo's parents.
Also Dororo's true gender revealed.
Mar 8, 2019 2:12 PM
Oct 2016
I always thought that Dororo would be a girl. Overall a nice episode showing us the past of Dororo
Mar 8, 2019 3:52 PM
Jan 2017
I suspectet him since the beginning!! Also I was a little surprise it ended up being a girl, she is pretty cute tho.

E: I want Hyakkimaru to be able to see Dororo sooooo bad.
Mar 8, 2019 10:40 PM

Oct 2017
Yay I can finally call Dororo a girl lol

But man she’s been through a lot. This anime does a really good job at highlighting the horrors of war.

Dororo had such strong parents. Her dad went down fighting until the very end. I’m glad he took as many of those trash samurai with him as he could.

And that poor mom. Dororo probably wouldn’t be alive today if it wasn’t for the deep love her mother showed her, always putting Dororo before herself. The scene with the soup was just ouch. Sadly she couldn’t keep up and evently starved to death.

I was happy to hear Hyakkimaru talk a little more. He’s getting there bit by bit. It’s nice to see him try his best at taking care of Dororo too. They’ve gotten so close since the start of the series.
Mar 10, 2019 3:27 PM

Dec 2018
lmao at dororo turned out to be a girl
Mar 10, 2019 5:15 PM

Sep 2018
Past of Dororo is so sad :( such a young age, she witness a cruel effect of War :(
baby Dororo is so cute!! I'm shocked that she's a girl lol She's the original female lead :D
Mar 10, 2019 8:02 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah, I was already thinking that having two episodes in a row with a happy ending was for some reason... man, such a sad story about Dororo's parents.

Honestly, I was expecting Itachi to be a traitor since the first moment he appeared on screen, thing that made the episode a bit predictable but it still was a very good one. Dororo's past sure was a sad and touching one.

Sadly for me, it wasn't a surprise that Dororo was actually a girl all this time... thanks, person who doesn't know how to use a "spoiler" tag... But that aside, I must give big props to her for being so smart about hiding her gender, war sure can be even more cruel when you're a woman.

I also found the use of colors during the flashback quite appealing and the cannibalism scene while short, was a good addition in my opinion as well. All in all, a quite good episode, way better than the previous ones without a doubt.

P.S.: This's just a little thing that bothers me but... if the "samurai" was so apprehensive about pouring hot soup in the hands of Dororo's mother, why didn't he give her the spoon instead? Obviously I'm not going to deny how powerful the scene is but it was something I wondered while I was watching it.
SouthRzVaMar 10, 2019 8:08 PM
Mar 11, 2019 8:07 PM

Jul 2016
wow, they're basically brothers at this point. that little "itachi" killed me.
damn, fking got me tearing up when ojiya let that scalding soup fall into her hands, burning her... mothers. and then she died the next scene. FFFFF-
i did read that there was a lot of speculation on if dororo was actually a girl, according to the original manga, and i guess he is? but i just can't imagine it, lol.
aaaand, there goes my entertainment for the week.
Mar 12, 2019 1:49 PM

Mar 2009
People were spoling Dororo's gender since the first episode, so not much of a reveal. Honestly, I'm glad they revealed it so early in the series.

Depressing episode, all the same. Mother of the year. Poor Dororo...
Mar 15, 2019 1:06 PM

Oct 2013
my heart literally shattered to pieces when dororo yelled "itachi" </3
Mar 17, 2019 4:19 PM
Aug 2017
Lynfield said:
This episode was heartbreaking, poor Dororo. But i wonder why did she lie about her gender.. To revenge on behalf of her parents as a samurai?

It is easier to travel and fight as a boy. And the thing with samurai, it is a social status that can only be passed down from your ancestor. A peasant can't be a samurai no matter how many achievement he got. If your father is a samurai then you are a samurai, if your father is not then you can't be one. You can learn the way of the sword but then you are only called a "kenshi" meaning "swordman", not a samurai. A woman can't be a samurai either. They are called a samurai's daughter or wife and if they can fight, they are called "onna bugeisha".
Mar 17, 2019 5:19 PM
Aug 2017
Maneki-Mew said:

What was that nun? Her outfit looked so much like a Christian nun's outfit, never saw this in Shinto or so before?

It is a Buddhism nun outfit http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/picture/upload/jp02_03e.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/Oeyo.jpg/320px-Oeyo.jpg

Shinto don't have nun, only shrine maiden.

At this time period, Buddhism is popular in Japan while Shinto was declined in power. Buddhism was introduced to Japan in Heian period, around 500 years ago from this anime setting and has became popular while Shinto was weaken and merged with some Buddhism sects.
Mar 18, 2019 12:50 AM
Dec 2016
Himawari9 said:
Maneki-Mew said:

What was that nun? Her outfit looked so much like a Christian nun's outfit, never saw this in Shinto or so before?

It is a Buddhism nun outfit http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/picture/upload/jp02_03e.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/Oeyo.jpg/320px-Oeyo.jpg

At this time period, Buddhism is popular in Japan while Shinto was declined in power. Buddhism was introduced to Japan in Heian period, around 500 years ago from this anime setting and has became popular while Shinto was weaken and merged with some Buddhism sects.

Buddhism was already introduced into Japan in Kohun era, 5th century. Shinto's falldown was casused by a political conflict in the 6th century and the following Honji Suijaku thery but "decline" was far-fetched. This type of Buddhism is called Dento-Bukkyo, traditional Buddhism. Shinto was still important in those days. The thing is that Buddhism took the role of Yamato kingdom's religious ceremonies. In other words, traditional Buddhism became the rulers' religion in Asuka era.

What happened in Dororo's time-setting was the rise of folk religion. After Ippen's Jishu became popular among lower-class people like the social outcast, Shinran's Jodo-Shinshu gathered those lower-class followers. Their style and doctrine were quite different from traditional Buddhism. Plus, those new Buddhism was merged with shamanistic ancestor worship. Historians sometimes call it Jodo-kyo, like it is not a part of Buddhism. In historical terminology, they are called chusei-shin-bukkyo, middle age new Buddhism.
Mar 18, 2019 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
e_hoba said:
Himawari9 said:

Buddhism was already introduced into Japan in Kohun era, 5th century. Shinto's falldown was casused by a political conflict in the 6th century and the following Honji Suijaku thery but "decline" was far-fetched. This type of Buddhism is called Dento-Bukkyo, traditional Buddhism. Shinto was still important in those days. The thing is that Buddhism took the role of Yamato kingdom's religious ceremonies. In other words, traditional Buddhism became the rulers' religion in Asuka era.

What happened in Dororo's time-setting was the rise of folk religion. After Ippen's Jishu became popular among lower-class people like the social outcast, Shinran's Jodo-Shinshu gathered those lower-class followers. Their style and doctrine were quite different from traditional Buddhism. Plus, those new Buddhism was merged with shamanistic ancestor worship. Historians sometimes call it Jodo-kyo, like it is not a part of Buddhism. In historical terminology, they are called chusei-shin-bukkyo, middle age new Buddhism.

Ah thank you both for history lessons!
Mar 18, 2019 3:33 PM
Aug 2017
e_hoba said:
Himawari9 said:

Thank for more information. I am a Buddhist from South East Asia so I don't know much about Buddism in other countries. I was surprised that some sects in Japan allow eating meat or marriage which are forbidden in my country.
Mar 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Aug 2016
a really good episode for a just fine anime.
:v
Mar 20, 2019 12:12 PM

Oct 2008
I've been wondering why my head feels like a knot lately. Its because I've been crying so much watching this series. Holy hell this really drains you. I already have a soft spot for crying childern and parents who sacrifice themselves as it is in stories.

I completely fell to peices when the mother put her hands together and the food began to burn her skin as she walked over to Dororo. ...It brings tears to my eyes just remembering it.

Mar 26, 2019 1:46 PM

Oct 2013
Best episode of Dororo so far. Quiet sad... really sad... poor Dororo. Im glad I have not been born during that decade.

I love how Hyakki starts to talk and saying Dororos name.
I kinda understand why Dororo doesnt want anyone to know shes a girl. That was why Dororo was kinda embarrassed as she realised that Hyakki probably saw her naked.
My only regret is having regrets!
Mar 26, 2019 9:38 PM
Mar 2019
MOMOpatisierre said:
I can't stop whisper "poor Dororo baby..." while watching :"(
She is scared if Hyakkimaru will leave her alone, but she know Hyakki is there for her
As a child, Dororo had see too much
The war, the traitor, corpses, I also can't stand when saw her seeing a cannibalism
She's already saw the world, not strange if she so mature...
So, she and her mother still can eat fruits in summer and Autumn, but after winter, they already too starve
Her mother use her hand as a bowl even for a hot soup, only giving to Dororo :"(
Now I'm glad Dororo have Aniki... Hyakki please protect her

raccoon-child said:

I'm guessing they're trying to keep the strange sexual tension in the original at a minimum but without killing Hyakkimaru and Dororo's relationship in the progress. As a result, it's very different from the manga, mostly because anime!Hyakkimaru's personality is almost the complete opposite of his original counterpart, but because of that his bond with Dororo feels more 'pure', or ar least it does so far. I'm a sucker for deep platonic relationships so I can't really complain about this...

I also prefer their bond here than in manga
There was no sexual tension between Dororo and Hyakkimaru. Dororo is only a child for God's sake, she hasn't even hit puberty yet. Dororo is like a little brother to Hyakkimaru and vice versa.
Mar 26, 2019 9:46 PM
Mar 2019
MOMOpatisierre said:
I can't stop whisper "poor Dororo baby..." while watching :"(
She is scared if Hyakkimaru will leave her alone, but she know Hyakki is there for her
As a child, Dororo had see too much
The war, the traitor, corpses, I also can't stand when saw her seeing a cannibalism
She's already saw the world, not strange if she so mature...
So, she and her mother still can eat fruits in summer and Autumn, but after winter, they already too starve
Her mother use her hand as a bowl even for a hot soup, only giving to Dororo :"(
Now I'm glad Dororo have Aniki... Hyakki please protect her

raccoon-child said:

I'm guessing they're trying to keep the strange sexual tension in the original at a minimum but without killing Hyakkimaru and Dororo's relationship in the progress. As a result, it's very different from the manga, mostly because anime!Hyakkimaru's personality is almost the complete opposite of his original counterpart, but because of that his bond with Dororo feels more 'pure', or ar least it does so far. I'm a sucker for deep platonic relationships so I can't really complain about this...

I also prefer their bond here than in manga
There is no sexual tension between Dororo and Hyakkimaru. Dororo is only a child for God's sake, she hasn't even reached puberty yet. Dororo is like a little brother to Hyakkimaru and vice versa.
Mar 26, 2019 10:04 PM
Mar 2019
I really wish that Hyakkimaru and Mio could have ended up together. I can't believe she died that was so sad😔😢😭
Apr 9, 2019 8:03 PM
Apr 2018
Ohh, Dororo is a girl. Well, I haven't read the manga, but her backstory was quite tragic, as expected.

Someone said that she was much younger in the manga, but then how come she had memories of her past at such a young age?
Apr 13, 2019 9:41 PM

May 2016
Dororo got sick and had the opportunity to revisit her tragic childhood. They were doing just fine as brigands, ambushing samurai for letting innocent people go through wars as collateral but Itachi just had to be a self-serving asshole and ruin it all for them. Dororo's dad was already humiliated to no end but at least he went out fighting. Watching Dororo's mom burn her own hands so she can get food for her daughter while not eating a single bite for her troubles was heartbreaking. A mother's love is as precious as it is reckless and her bottomless love tragically led to her taking a deep sleep on a field of lycoris flowers.

I've never thought of Dororo as a girl for some reason and finding that out was a shock. I'd be just as awkward as Hyakkimaru if I ever find out that little guy's a reverse trap.

Apr 17, 2019 2:22 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That's what you get from a man named Itachi, I won't attempt to pin him down as a threat until we see the bigger picker, if you know what I mean.
Jeez, even a child witnessing a live act of cannibalism on full-on leftovers of a large scale battlefield. This show knows no boundaries.
I like how visually stylish this episode was, full on black and white resembling a distant memory, with only the red color is apparent, what magnificent imagery, an image is truly worth a thousand words.
Power, powerful episode man, the way the father died in front of his family, and the way the mother burnt her hands in order to provide a healthy sip for Dororo.
This was probably the first time in this show it was officially revealed that Dororo is a girl, I got spoiled on it in the comments, I was too thinking she was a he, I hope I never spoiled that out on me by reading random comments. I should learn my lesson.
Looks like the main plot has finally started getting fleshed out, I can't wait till I see what becomes of Hyakimaru's family and how much drama this would cost. I mean, a random guy with prosthetic hands appearing after 16 years isn't that much obvious, it was kind of forced to make the Daigo act all that shocked and curious.
Apr 17, 2019 6:30 PM

Jul 2013
I suspected Dororo to be a girl given her feminine voice but that backstory was sad. Come to think of it almost every backstory ever in anime is sad. And her mom, died of hunger damn. Reminded me of grave of the fireflies.
May 8, 2019 4:18 AM

Aug 2013
So we have a backstory about Dororo and his parents. Quite sad.

May 16, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2013
Itachi ruined their life!
So, Dororo is a girl!
May 17, 2019 3:18 AM

Nov 2014
FMmatron said:
animehater98 said:

Did you get that from game of thrones? :P

I had that scene in mind xD but it's pretty common in fiction and there are also some historical records of girls who did so.
what's this reference about game of thrones? is their crossdressing in GoT? cause im a huge sucker for that
May 17, 2019 4:21 AM

Nov 2016
ttcchen said:
FMmatron said:

I had that scene in mind xD but it's pretty common in fiction and there are also some historical records of girls who did so.
what's this reference about game of thrones? is their crossdressing in GoT? cause im a huge sucker for that

Only in one rather short part of the series and solely for the purpose of disguising, but I don't think that it will satisfy your fetish :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 5, 2019 7:28 AM

Dec 2016
This episode hit right in the feels ;_; Such a heartbreaking story </3 The were wonderful parents.

So Dororo is a girl? I had no idea, cuz I never even thought of that possibility. That really surprised me.

Great episode as always :) Kyakkimaru is improving more and more! Keep going ;)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jun 10, 2019 5:15 AM

Mar 2013
I can't believe Dororo is a girl xD I though Dororo is a boy deym her appearance can be mistaken as a boy.
Jul 4, 2019 6:35 AM

Mar 2012
Itachi may be a traitor but the guy knew what was up. He did try to get Dororo's father to stop fighting the Samurai but he wouldn't listen. Can't blame him though, seems those Samurai were a bunch of douchebags.
Jul 5, 2019 1:04 PM

Apr 2015
>such a young girl

Nani?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 12, 2019 9:29 PM
Jan 2018
Tokoya said:
So Dororo is a girl....Interesting lol

But I really enjoyed seeing her backstory (Man its so freaking weird to say her since I was so accustomed to her being a boy) and getting to meet her parents whom were both certified badasses in my book

I saw Itachi's betrayal coming a mile away, but I'm glad that it didn't go full cliche and had him kill them or rape the mother or something like that (Still, I don't appreciate this man having the same name as my favorite anime character of all time, Itachi Uchiha)
Itachi being a traitor in anime is the same as Hiyori being hit by a truck or bus lol.
Jul 17, 2019 6:27 AM
Apr 2018
Although the storytelling is outdated because of the source material, the animation, music and art more than make up for it. It's easily one of the most artistically beautiful anime I've ever seen.
Aug 12, 2019 11:45 PM

Dec 2018
I thought Dororo's mother died by the cause of raped by someone. Maybe the show gonna show it later.

By the way Itachi talks and from the looks of his face, I sensed betrayal. Uchiha Itachi might be based on this character, though Uchiha Itachi's reason for betrayal seems nobler from my view.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand another plotwist.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Sep 20, 2019 4:52 AM

Mar 2015
Dororo's past is a painful one :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 29, 2020 6:27 AM

Feb 2019
poor dororo and her parents
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 6, 2020 7:49 AM

Sep 2018
Jacksnapp said:
uninstallthegame said:
ah, some backstory to Dororo. ngl, either historical shows are not my type or i just can't connect with Dororo. so far it feels pretty average to me
also, i thought Dororo was a girl right from the start. guess i kinda ruined some twist on this one as well?

lol, now i know that

FINALLY I'VE FOUND SOMEONE ELSE ALSO THOUGHT OF THAT!!! My thoughts also immediately wandered back to SBR! And that character's mother. Personally I thought Araki's rendition felt more impactful and graceful

Yeah, I immediately thought of that part from Steel Ball Run too. I wonder if that scene was in Tezuka's original manga?

I also suspected Dororo was a girl too, since she kinda reminded me of
Both of these were pretty interesting comparisons to me, since it's nice to see the original's influence on modern anime/manga,
Apr 25, 2020 2:21 PM

Jan 2017
Goddamn, these are terrible times they live in. dororo went trough a lot.
Her gender reveal was quite a surprise.

the scene where the mother feeds dororo the hot soup with her hands was identical to diegos backstory in steel ball run. for a moment i thought that was a jojo reference, but then i remembered that dororo's manga is actually way older than jojo.
https://twitter.com/theanimehero/status/885101370277285888
dusty22Apr 25, 2020 3:05 PM
Aug 29, 2020 5:39 AM

Jul 2015
Sad past Dororo got, struggling to survive witnessing betrayal, cannibalism and her parents death. Already knew Itachi was going to be a traitor, kinda wish Dororo's parents also swallowed their pride for a good life. True mother's love there, heartbreaking to see her feed the soup...

Oct 1, 2020 2:14 PM
Oct 2019
What a tragic past for Dororo. That got me in my feels.

And uh, hold up. Dororo's a girl?

Did son #2 just figure it out?
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by Chlatra »»
Mar 20, 7:38 AM

» What do you think about the dub

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 12

8 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Mar 12, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.