Forum Settings
Forums

People laughing at inappropriate times during movie

New
Mar 14, 2019 9:32 PM

Apr 2017
I just got home from the Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel part 2 and multiple times throughout the movie people would just bust out in laughter at not so funny scenes and it was kinda annoying. Like only one time it was reasonable, but the rest were just cringeworthy. This movie was pretty dark and people laughing throughout it was kinda strange. I would understand if it was a comedy, but damn this movie isn’t trying to even be funny. I’m just not a fan of crowd interaction at the movies at all. I think it is kinda obnoxious. My friend that was with me agrees as well. What are your thoughts?
Mar 14, 2019 9:38 PM

Jun 2015
Oh absolutely. It's the main reason I go to Alamo Drafthouse instead of Westgate. Those strict talking regulations do wonders.

My experience viewing Hereditary in Westgate was like being in a fuckin' zoo.
AltoRoarkMar 14, 2019 9:42 PM
Mar 14, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2018
God that sounds awful. Yeah, I hate it when that happens.
Mar 14, 2019 9:41 PM

Aug 2017
That is why I never go to the cinema..
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.

Mar 2017
I laugh at inappropriate parts of movies when the scriptwriting, acting, or just something is totally out of whack and not realistic.

I'm sorry for existing.

Jan 2018
I actually just had the exact same experience in the same movie. I don't know what it is about the movie but yeah there were quite a few people laughing at random points and it was pretty distracting.
Mar 14, 2019 9:50 PM
Feb 2017
Yeah that gets on my nerves. It's even worse when the whole theater of people start laughing and you can't hear anything.
Mar 14, 2019 9:51 PM

Nov 2016
You need to read the Visual Novel in order to understand...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2019 9:54 PM

Apr 2017
Low_res_Hibiki said:
How many people are we talking about? Like about half of them or just a couple of dudes? Perhaps you are the weird ones lol

But I agree, every time I have gone to the movie theater I've found people actually laughing out loud, not just chuckling or something like that at things that I really didnt find funny at all. Perhaps I am the weird one lol
Everyone wasn’t laughing, but I would say 1/3 of the audience was.
Mar 14, 2019 9:56 PM

Apr 2017
Tubbyman said:
I actually just had the exact same experience in the same movie. I don't know what it is about the movie but yeah there were quite a few people laughing at random points and it was pretty distracting.
Did a bunch of teenage girls start screaming when Gilgamesh had his 2 minutes of screen time? Lmao I swear at mine these people behind me were going nuts when he appeared. I actually thought their reaction was kinda funny though.
Mar 14, 2019 9:57 PM

Dec 2015
I had that last Halloween for the whole evening (Halloween + Suspiria, the originals). The thing: it was mainly a single family during the 2nd movie. The bonus: you could hear them criticize and bury both movies as they went (until the mother felt asleep during the 2nd half of Suspiria).
And it was at the local indépendant cinema, not the big commercial cinema center.

Recently, it was at the city's theatre, during a movies festival: two old women put themselves by me and started discussing before the movie, Don't look now, began. They never shutted up, except to laugh at some scene with this "ahahahah" condescending tone. They kept saying how they should have gone elsewhere but stayed the whole seance. It was a fantastic movie about coming to terms with a death (two parents lost their daughter in the prologue). When we got out of the room, they claimed strong and loud that it was a "real dud", doubtlessly.
A few hours later, I gave up on a seance because they were waiting for it.

As much as I can imagine a few "bad choices" from the Halloween victims be laughable, I didn't get how the prologue could induce laugh. Same thing every time the little tense music came up with the 1st person view.
For Suspiria, peoples were mocking, among other things (practical effects, invisible witch, the "voices" during the music), the colour (and Argento's filming abilities) when it's one of the best worked elements.
During DLN, the annoying old women lamented and laughed about ANYTHING, including the wandering through the streets of Venice, the superb sex scene and Sutherland inability to play.
Rei_IIIMar 14, 2019 10:09 PM
Mar 14, 2019 10:06 PM

Dec 2017
Who knows? Maybe they found it funny for some reason you didn't? I'm totally guilty of laughing at stuff that I shouldn't be laughing at.

I don't think it's wrong for people to laugh/react, but it absolutely gets annoying if they are obnoxious about it.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 14, 2019 10:07 PM

Jan 2018
Aslat24 said:
Tubbyman said:
Did a bunch of teenage girls start screaming when Gilgamesh had his 2 minutes of screen time? Lmao I swear at mine these people behind me were going nuts when he appeared. I actually thought their reaction was kinda funny though.

No it was luckily only for the first like 30 or so minutes and then it was relatively quiet for the rest of the movie. I think everyone was like me and just speechless after the fight with Berserker lol
Mar 14, 2019 10:08 PM

Apr 2017
Reina_Orikasa said:
Who knows? Maybe they found it funny for some reason you didn't? I'm totally guilty of laughing at stuff that I shouldn't be laughing at.

I don't think it's wrong for people to laugh/react, but it absolutely gets annoying if they are obnoxious about it.
I mean some moments were definitely smile worthy, but not laugh out loud. That was my main complaint.
Mar 14, 2019 10:14 PM

Jun 2014
I personally love crowd reactions. Yeah I mean sure if it gets "obnoxious" I might miss some dialogue, but if it's a movie from a lax country (aka you can find it online), who cares? I can just watch it again later.

Crowd energy is amazing to me. Laughing at inappropriate parts, while inappropriate, would definitely amuse me. As long as it's not the same individual laughing throughout the movie and straight up just trying to piss off the entire theater, I think I'd be completely okay with it.

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Mar 14, 2019 10:16 PM

Sep 2015
I laughed watching The Passion of the Christ (2004), lost some friends, but couldn't help it.

The more serious something tries to be the funnier I find it.
Mar 14, 2019 10:22 PM
Jul 2017
I’ve had the same experience but instead of laughing, some guy would just try to say funny remarks when it clearly wasn’t. I went to see perfect blue in theaters last year and this guy would just keep making “jokes.” He’s the kind of guy who says “don’t go in there!” Or “wow that was totally scary” when one of the most important scenes in the movie happened, he said “wow that wasn’t in the trailer” and someone in front of us actually told him to shut up. I have never seen an anime movie on the big screen before and I have this stupid piece of shit stuck in my memory. Whenever I remember that night, I’ll remember him ruining some moments of the movie. It was a cool experience but I really could have done without that nonsense. IT WAS PERFECT BLUE COME ON. why would you try to be funny for THIS movie. A psychological horror. Like why.
Mar 14, 2019 10:25 PM

Aug 2013
Sometimes I laugh at dramatic scenes because of how cringe-worthy they are lol
Mar 14, 2019 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
is this bait i'm just wondering haha!
Mar 14, 2019 10:26 PM

Mar 2019
I remember going to see the Simpsons movie however many years ago with some friends, and throughout the whole movie this one girl at the back would laugh really loudly and then actually said LOL at the end every time.. I've never wanted to murder anyone before but she was really asking for it.
Mar 14, 2019 11:09 PM

Apr 2017
I think I need to clarify myself. When I said inappropriate times I just mean at mildly funny scenes. Like the jokes if you even wanna call them that weren’t laugh out loud funny (which a lot of people were doing). People also started clapping during some parts as well. I mean it didn’t piss me off or anything I just thought it was cringe lol. I guess I wish I could find stuff just as funny as these people did, because they seem easily amused.
Mar 14, 2019 11:37 PM

Nov 2011
It is only because they have different taste of humor with you ...
I actually think that I am the weird one in cinemas, I rarely find things most people laugh at are funny, but at the other times I think I am the only one find that some other scenes are funny ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 14, 2019 11:40 PM

Sep 2012
some people only go to cinema for
a date or
wasting their time
or haters
or just because they didn't find another movie to watch

and most of them use their phones while watching the movie which i find really annoying

so thats the reason i watch from home\by downloading or streaming site..
Mar 15, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, it's Fate, there's probably a good reason to laugh at it :>
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

57 by mo_lave »»
6 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

98 by FFandMMfan »»
11 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

55 by Shizuna »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 16

15 by KayKimii »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - Apr 16

12 by KayKimii »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.