Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2019 5:00 PM

May 2013
Having completed most of the top shows above 8.2/10 rating from MAL except for long series like naruto shippuden, one piece etc...

there doesn't seem to be any anime that excite me anymore except for some of the ongoing seasonal anime which I prefer to binge in one shot after completion of the series.

I have seen some really good 7.5~8.0 shows that deserved way higher ratings as well as overrated trash such as no game no life (imo). But still, we really need anime studios to produce more anime with quality content instead of churning out quantities without any substance.
LincompoopFeb 21, 2019 7:24 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 20, 2019 5:04 PM

Nov 2016
You could always read manga. It seems you like Jojos so you can read up until and part 7, which is supposed to be really good.
Feb 20, 2019 5:07 PM

Dec 2018
Don't be afraid of an anime scored below 8, sometimes they're a lot better than the highly rated ones.
Feb 20, 2019 5:08 PM

Jul 2017
Can't really give suggestions with something as broad as "something I might like" lmao. At least specify genres, themes etc.
Feb 20, 2019 5:09 PM

Jan 2018
Watch Beck, it's a really good music based series.
What a beautiful Duwang
Feb 20, 2019 5:15 PM

Oct 2014
Anime rated above 8 are generally trash. The good stuff is usually rated between 6.7 and 7.5.

In all seriousness, though, MAL scores don't mean much unless you're a sheep. Assuming you're a human I'd suggest just searching by your favourite genres and trying out any anime that sounds like you would enjoy it regardless of rating, unless it's rated below 5.6 in which case you should watch it with friends instead.
Feb 20, 2019 5:20 PM

Nov 2018
go off popularity next. I find more enjoyment watching the shows off of popularity instead of ratings.

If you read manga, I recommend reading Tsurezure children then watching the anime.
and it appears you haven't watched Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms. Great movie
Feb 20, 2019 5:23 PM

Oct 2008
Watch everything on my list rated 8/10 and above. You can skip the ones you've already seen. You're welcome.
Feb 20, 2019 5:26 PM

Nov 2017
Angel beats specials

Or keep watching seasonal anime. That will never run out because time is infinite :P

plz @ me
Feb 20, 2019 5:26 PM

Aug 2017
MAL scores are a joke.

Watch Satsuriku no Tenshi. It was much better than most of the trash with a score > 8.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 20, 2019 5:28 PM

Nov 2013
your first mistake is using MAL score as an indicator of a "good" anime
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Feb 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Nov 2016
Hachimitsu to Clover
Ashita no Joe
Slam Dunk
Versailles no Bara
Cross Game
Future Boy Conan
Samurai Flamenco
Killing Bites
Shimoneta
Seitokai Yakuindomo

World Masterpiece Theatre has plenty of good and great series.

This should be enough for now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2019 5:30 PM

Apr 2015
*Sigh* I kinda dislike hearing this one, sorry to say.

Trust me, you haven't even gotten close to finishing all the "good" anime in existence, maybe all the "good" anime in your comfort zone, but there's always more out there, even if there's stuff you wouldn't think is amazing. You're just stuck at the step now where you have completed most you can feasibly, at the moment, find interesting. Screw scores. Screw the MAL rating system and don't let that fool you. Take chances, watch something you think you may not like but could surprise ya. You have not even watched 5% of what's out there, don't think you're close to done yet. >.> I mean, really?

Give me 10 minutes and I can name you probably 50+ shows you haven't watched that are at the very least alright, you're good, dude.
Feb 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Jul 2014
Read a Manga that you haven't seen the Anime of.

With Manga you can get really creative. Imagining colours and voices.
Feb 20, 2019 8:45 PM

May 2018
Mean score on MAL is fucked up, don't guide yourself by it. Try judging the synopses instead. There's a lot of interesting things out there. Also, read manga.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 20, 2019 8:48 PM

Dec 2018
I’d highly reccomend watching naruto and shippuden. Best plot in anime in my opinion XD
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 20, 2019 11:49 PM

May 2009
Lincompoop said:
Having completed most of the top shows above 8/10 from MAL except for long series like naruto, one piece etc...

there doesn't seem to be any anime that excite me anymore except for some of the ongoing seasonal anime which I prefer to binge in one shot after completion of the series.

I have found a few hidden gems that are at least 7/10 rated but that is about it.

Any suggestions of anime you think I might like that I have yet to watch?
Have you tried a few things in combination:
1. Ignoring ratings.
2. Searching by genre or tags. Anime-Planet might be better for tag searching than MAL, fwiw. You can even search by a combination of tags (e.g. all the Fantasy anime that contain Dragons and have a focus on Action).
3. Picking up something random that you haven't watched before (assuming you're okay with the plot premise as stated in the synopsis), and then just letting it do its thing, trying not to be judgemental about quality or whatever.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 21, 2019 3:12 AM

May 2018
@Lincompoop
OP if you want recommendations also state you preferences like what you like, what you hate ect.

For example you said that you watched almost all 8/10 but I don't see Ghost In The Shell SAC, Akira or other significant hardcore sci-fi in your list maybe you dislike this genre?

MAL scores are not that important. Often good shows sink to obscurity...and I mean good in any sense not only what I prefer.

Try searching on your own - firstly similar to your favorites or other titles from the same artists.

Another option is to join a thematic club (for example sol/dl, horror or drama) and ask recommendations there.
alshuFeb 21, 2019 5:52 AM
Feb 21, 2019 3:44 AM

Dec 2017
Just watch chio chan no tsuugakuro. It is the most underrated gem in anime industry

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Feb 21, 2019 3:57 AM

Nov 2012
I suggest Shingeki no Bahamut, I totally gave them a 10/10 even tho they are under 8.

Shingeki no Bahamut
https://myanimelist.net/anime/21843/Shingeki_no_Bahamut__Genesis
https://myanimelist.net/anime/30736/Shingeki_no_Bahamut__Virgin_Soul

I mean check out the OP for Genesis... so fing badass
Feb 21, 2019 4:07 AM
May 2016
i recommend browsing anime staff positions of some of your favorite directors, script writers, composers, whoever stands out to you. also browse the catalog for your favorite genre(s), read synopses, add what sounds interesting to your plan to watch, and this part is pretty important, entirely disregard mal scores. just watch what piques your interest, don't worry about the score. that's what i do, and that's how i have 400+ anime on my plan to watch (and that list is still growing)
ShiroanonFeb 21, 2019 4:10 AM
Feb 21, 2019 4:12 AM

Aug 2017
The ratings are MAL's biggest lie. You should choose to watch anime from your favorite genre or by recommendations. There are a lot of gems waiting to be discovered by people like you that have criminally a low score.

You can not know if it sucks if you do not look at it before, do not you think?
ItsYaBoiSkanaFeb 21, 2019 4:17 AM
Feb 21, 2019 4:12 AM

Oct 2010
According to your list you haven't watched most of the shows rated >8 here, so that should keep you entertained for a while. But I recommend to check stuff based on the preferences you have already set yourself, and stop looking at the MAL average as some kind of rule because popularirty, genre and franchise bias won't let you appreciate stuff that is really good, but just too niche to gain a wider appeal.
Feb 21, 2019 4:17 AM

Apr 2017
Just gonna say that if you truly are a nyan lover as your profile proclaims, you need to watch My Roommate is a Cat once it finishes airing.
Feb 21, 2019 4:18 AM

Apr 2017
MAL scores aren't really telling of quality of a show, just that you are more likely to like anime with high scores rather than low ones. But there are certainly many shows bellow 8/7 that are worth a watch, they are just more niche so many people didn't like them. But for people that like that particular niche, they can be really good. Just search by tags that you like, synopsis and creators, if you have some favorite ones. Don't pay attention to score, although score bellow 6 already tends to mean that show is mildly mediocre/bad, it can also just be really misunderstood show that you might end up liking a lot. Give things a try, drop them if they aren't to your liking, and you are bound to also discover many good shows.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Feb 21, 2019 4:28 AM

May 2018
Just try to watch anime below 8/10. Quality is subjective thing, just because the general MAL doesn't like it that does not mean you won't like it.
Feb 21, 2019 4:43 AM

Jun 2016
Watch Romeo blue skies,future boy Conan,kyou Kara ore wa,golden boy and slam dunk, you can thank me later.
Feb 21, 2019 4:44 AM
May 2018
As others stated, we can't really help since you don't get into the specifics of what you seek in anime ^^.

I can only give you suggestions on how to look for an anime that can please you (although I'm sure you already know all that, but hey, I'll say it anyway xD) :

- Check the MAL recommendations on the pages of the animes you love. They're more interesting than ratings since a recommendation states what's in common between the animes in a few line (hence you'll see if that anime has things that you might like).
It seems you enjoyed Clannad, so maybe check out Kanon (2006)? Same studio, same author, same kind of story. In my opinion it's almost as good as After Story (or at least it's better than Clannad season 1).

- If you like, for example, the visual style of an anime, check out other anime made by the same people.

- It seems you mostly watched recent animes. Maybe check out the old ones? I can recommend City Hunter, it's awesome (and the dubs are sometimes hilarious!).

- Maybe check genres you don't usually watch? It seems you didn't watch much mecha stuff for example. I can recommend Gundam, many of these series have deep stories and awesome characters. Many Gundam series are independent, you don't have to watch them all.

That's all I can think of, hopefully it helps!
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Feb 21, 2019 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
Jormungand, Houseki no Kuni, Sakamichi no Apollon, tanaka is always listless
Feb 21, 2019 5:05 AM

Jul 2016
-only have 259 completed anime
-said there is not anime that can makes me excited anymore, ...

There are so many good anime that you haven't watched and that good anime have score variations (can be more or less than 8).

I don't see ghost in the shell, Kara no kyoukai, kino no tabi, Baka to test, etc in your list.
Try to explore other anime and don't let yourself stuck on anime that has high score.

Feb 21, 2019 5:10 AM
Jan 2018
Lincompoop said:
Having completed most of the top shows above 8/10 from MAL except for long series like naruto, one piece etc...

I have found a few hidden gems that are at least 7/10 rated but that is about it.

Like most others mentioned it's pretty difficult to tell without preferences in genre/...

Only suggestion I can give you is to watch more movies, OVAs and specials, cause it looks like you mainly watch TV. Especially movies and some OVAs are worthwile.
Feb 21, 2019 5:24 AM
Nov 2018
Ratings aren't everything. While 8+ anime are almost always guaranteed to be good or at least worth watching, there's plenty of gold even within the 6-7 range but 7-8 range has a lot of really great stuff. It's also probably burn out from watching so much anime there's nothing wrong with taking a break for a few months from anime. I'd recommend searching for shows based only on genre/synopsis and ignore the rating as much as you can tbh. It's a good guideline but its a terrible way of filtering out "good/bad" shows

Our anime affinity is pretty low so idk if you'll enjoy these.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Adventure action. I don't know how this isn't on your list. It may be a little long but its really only the same length as like a 2 season show. Pretty much a must watch. That being said if it's not your thing just drop it. Don't watch something just cos its popular (but I really do think its a great show)

Tanaka is Always Listless: Slice of life show. Title should be enough to get an idea of the show being one based on a gag but it's one of the few shows where being centred around a gag doesn't get old for me. Mainly since it has a fairly varied cast

Full Metal Panic: Mecha action comedy. I'm personally not a fan of mecha shows. Neither was a massive fan of the mecha bits of the show because of it though it wasn't too bad. That being said the comedy and main characters in this outshine that. To solve that problem...

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: My favourite parts of Full Metal Panic (characters and comedy) without the parts I wasn't super into (mecha action) creating one of my favourite comedies. Watching the original isn't essential but there are a few references to the main show and it would help get an understanding of who the characters are.

Zombieland Saga: They advertise this as an idol show. It isn't. While there are idol elements its more of a slice of life comedy with a strange cast and strange gimmick. If you don't mind something a bit more absurd it's worth a watch. Just be prepared to think "this is anime so what the fuck why not" every once in a while

Flying Witch: A very relaxing slice of life. Its pretty chill but its a much slower pace compared to most relaxation shows like Yuru Camp. Good watch but not for everyone. You'll either love it or be bored basically so feel free to drop (if you don't like the first few eps you probably won't like the rest)

Love Lab: Opposite style of slice of life to Flying Witch. Its faster, more short stories type not an overarching story, and more about cute girls being cute and innocent rather than a family

You're better off ignoring ratings in the future and just judge a show by synposis/first episode. Also try watch more stuff in genres you don't like and you might find hidden gems. I avoid mecha anime. And somehow it led me to Fumoffu. Another thing to try would just be browsing say producers/studios and just pick a cover art that looks nice and watch it blind. That's how I found Sakura Quest and Hanasaku Iroha which are some of my favourite dramas (Hanasaku Iroha is better tho). And drama is another genre I'm not super into
Feb 21, 2019 5:24 AM

Jul 2014
Running out of good anime to watch
OK, let's see what have you seen...
Only 259 completed... Okay...

It seems you have been watching mostly TV series (83% of all completed anime), so maybe you should try some movies/OVAs/ONAs ?
You have only 10 anime from the '80s and '90s on the completed list, so maybe some older TV series/movies/OVAs ?
Feb 21, 2019 5:29 AM

Apr 2012
@Lincompoop

I have like a few anime you haven't seen sorted by score, feel free to look at the list.
https://myanimelist.net/shared.php?u1=Lincompoop&u2=EratiK&type=anime&o=3#u1
Feb 21, 2019 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
You haven't even watched more then 1% of all animes made.

And it's not the first april yet.

Feb 21, 2019 6:00 AM

Apr 2018
Maybe, you should actually not listen to MAL reviewers... like... AT ALL! There's a lot of great anime that MAL reviewers have given horrible ratings, and vice versa.
Feb 21, 2019 6:04 AM

May 2010
Lincompoop said:

I literally promise you have not run out of good anime to watch.

Source: I've seen 2,450+ anime and there's hundreds of very popular/acclaimed stuff I haven't even seen yet.
JohanFeb 21, 2019 6:08 AM

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Jan 2019
Lincompoop said:

puff let me recommend some i guess, i took a look at your list
you might or might not like the following, but i recommend watching them

Aldnoah Zero
Amagi Brilliant Park
Arakawa Under the Bridge and the 2nd season
Beck
Blood+
Cross Game
Himouto Umaru-Chan
Jormungand, and Perfect Order
Gundam: Iron-Blood Orphans (standalone story, i think its a good thing to start with if you are new to gundam)
then the rest of the gundam series
Nodame Cantabile
One Outs
Soul Eater
Subete ga F ni Naru
Wolfs Rain
Youjo Senki
Megalo Box
New Game

DenkiDestroy99XFeb 21, 2019 6:15 AM
Feb 21, 2019 6:31 AM

Feb 2010
Sorry I can't really relate, I always have too much stuff I want to watch and too little time to do it all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 21, 2019 6:41 AM

May 2010
Daphi said:
Lincompoop said:

puff let me recommend some i guess, i took a look at your list
you might or might not like the following, but i recommend watching them

Aldnoah Zero
Amagi Brilliant Park
Arakawa Under the Bridge and the 2nd season
Beck
Blood+
Cross Game
Himouto Umaru-Chan
Jormungand, and Perfect Order
Gundam: Iron-Blood Orphans (standalone story, i think its a good thing to start with if you are new to gundam)
then the rest of the gundam series
Nodame Cantabile
One Outs
Soul Eater
Subete ga F ni Naru
Wolfs Rain
Youjo Senki
Megalo Box
New Game

Even I've only completed 9/17 things you listed.

If you inc. the 20 eps of Blood+ it's 10/17.

Pullman said:
Sorry I can't really relate, I always have too much stuff I want to watch and too little time to do it all.

Yeah for once I agree with this guy. Someone screenshot this post LOL

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 21, 2019 7:02 AM
Sep 2018
Don't bother, once you watch the good ones nothing is good enough. If no good anime exist don't watch.
Anime is pathetic. So am I for being a part of this community.
Feb 21, 2019 7:58 AM

Jan 2019
@Johan

i wasn't sure what you were trying to say with that until i saw you completed ~2500 Anime
thats really surprising also, we have really similar scores

Pullman said:

me too, i dont know where to start
especially movies, i focused on TV Series mainly for so long, i have basically all the good/popular movies apart from Kimi no Na Wa to watch
all the ghibli stuff, all other movies you can think of xD
DenkiDestroy99XFeb 21, 2019 8:09 AM
Feb 21, 2019 8:00 AM

Jul 2014
Johan said:
Pullman said:

Done :D

screenshot here

(character limit)
Feb 21, 2019 8:03 AM

May 2010
Daphi said:
@Johan

i wasn't sure what you were trying to say with that until i saw you completed ~2500 Anime

Pullman said:

especially movies, i focused on TV Series mainly for so long, i have basically all the good/popular movies apart from Kimi no Na Wa to watch

That's why i found it sad you got mad at me over that thread i posted :[

http://prntscr.com/mo8mat

mozgow said:
Johan said:

Done :D

screenshot here

(character limit)

Thanks pal LOL

JohanFeb 21, 2019 8:09 AM

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 21, 2019 8:08 AM

Jan 2019
Johan said:
Daphi said:
@Johan

i dont condemn you for it, i just dont like hate threads even if they are against people who clearly deserve it, although im sorry about being offensive
Feb 21, 2019 8:12 AM

May 2010
Daphi said:
Johan said:

i dont condemn you for it, i just dont like hate threads even if they are against people who clearly deserve it, although im sorry about being offensive

Literally 6 of your top 8 characters would be toward the top of my all time characters list

and 5 of your top shows - 6 if we replace FMAB w/ FMA 03 would be in my top 10 tv series all time.

Considering i've seen nearly 2500 things, thats pretty remarkable ratio

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 21, 2019 8:16 AM

Jan 2019
Johan said:
Daphi said:

Literally 6 of your top 8 characters would be toward the top of my all time characters list

and 5 of your top shows - 6 if we replace FMAB w/ FMA 03 would be in my top 10 tv series all time.

tbh the only favourite characters i have are lelouch, light, okabe and kurisu, at least if we talk about all time favourites

oh man you remind me about FMA03 i have not watched that one movie still that apparently concludes the FMA03 Story , at least someone told me that, its been so long since ive seen it
Feb 21, 2019 8:17 AM

Apr 2018
About that "hate thread"
@Johan I'm still waiting for lesson 2 of anime 101

OT: not that much to say, the list of anime I'd like to watch is like 4 times bigger than my watched list, I'd kind of like to be ruinning out of things to watch in a certain sense lol
Feb 21, 2019 8:28 AM

May 2018
Having Clannad, K-on, SnK, DitF in favorites and saying that you ran out of good anime?
Man, you probably haven't seen anything good yet

Feb 21, 2019 8:46 AM

May 2010
Daphi said:
Johan said:

tbh the only favourite characters i have are lelouch, light, okabe and kurisu, at least if we talk about all time favourites

oh man you remind me about FMA03 i have not watched that one movie still that apparently concludes the FMA03 Story , at least someone told me that, its been so long since ive seen it

Light is my #1 male character of all time, Lelouch is my #2 male character of all time and Kurisu Makise is my #1 female character of all time lmao

&& yeah Conqueror of Shamballa. I rewatched it after rewatching FMA 03 last year. It's good, but not as good as the 51 ep TV series.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

148 by Ten »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.