Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
May 3, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2015
In the process of rewatching the series because I didn't pay attention to the little details last time. Okay so my question is:
Was Gyro's backstory only made to show us about why Gyro was making these guns, drugs and controlling NGL. Or did it also symbolize that he was reborn as a Chimera Ant? If he was, my wild guess would be Yunju?
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
May 7, 2016 4:35 PM

Feb 2015
Well Ponzu died already :(.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2016 5:38 AM
May 2012
Aw yis, now we're talking. I really like the animation during Gyro's past.
Jun 17, 2016 11:28 PM

Apr 2009
Can someone tell me why that chopped head is still screaming?

Ponzuuuuu~ T____T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2016 6:52 PM
Jan 2016
Worst episode ever... Ponzu noooooooooooooooo
Oct 16, 2016 5:30 PM

Sep 2015
I hate that gunslinger ant that killed Ponzu. The worst thing that happened was that gunslinger grunt ate her, there goes the possibility of an ant born with her genes and some of memories by the Queen. Another thing when Gon & Killua found her remains they didn't even think a sec that it was Ponzu that died ;-;
Rip my Ponzu X Pokkle ship.
Hinata-chiOct 16, 2016 5:34 PM
Oct 17, 2016 12:43 AM

Oct 2013
Hinata said:
I hate that gunslinger ant that killed Ponzu. The worst thing that happened was that gunslinger grunt ate her, there goes the possibility of an ant born with her genes and some of memories by the Queen. Another thing when Gon & Killua found her remains they didn't even think a sec that it was Ponzu that died ;-;
Rip my Ponzu X Pokkle ship.

I am pretty sure Gon understood who that was.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Oct 17, 2016 1:15 AM

Dec 2012
.....................................................................Dropped.

RobOct 17, 2016 1:30 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 28, 2016 11:01 PM

Jul 2013
Damn I watched the 90s vers in my childhood days and thus Ponzu is like part of my childhood and now she's dead... and her body got eaten by a freaking giant bug.... it feels like, you know, imagine if Pikachu gets eaten by other pokemon....
Dec 4, 2016 3:05 PM
Nov 2014
Man, this episode was fucked up! Didn't expect them to kill Ponzu off like that, brutal af.

Not to mention the first part with the flashback/backstory on Gyro's cruel past, amazing episode nonetheless.
Dec 12, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2014
I don't get why they'd put a 1/2 episode length flashback about a character we haven't seen... and I also think I've seen the whole "the world doesn't care about me" thing in too many shonens by now. Not that it was done poorly or anything, it's just really cliche at this point.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Dec 12, 2016 11:19 PM

Dec 2015
Phenomanan said:
I don't get why they'd put a 1/2 episode length flashback about a character we haven't seen... and I also think I've seen the whole "the world doesn't care about me" thing in too many shonens by now. Not that it was done poorly or anything, it's just really cliche at this point.

The thing about Gyro is, the anime didn't show what happened afterward to him, in the manga we see that he became a Chimera Ant, and he had such a strong will that he didn't feel any loyalty to the queen and left immediately, then there was some foreshadowing that he will meet Gon at some point(some even speculate that he will be the final villain of the series).
Dec 13, 2016 6:23 AM

May 2014
Uchiha_Shadow said:

The thing about Gyro is, the anime didn't show what happened afterward to him, in the manga we see that he became a Chimera Ant, and he had such a strong will that he didn't feel any loyalty to the queen and left immediately, then there was some foreshadowing that he will meet Gon at some point(some even speculate that he will be the final villain of the series).

Oh wow, so if they continue the HxH anime, we can expect to see him?? That would be pretty cool. They did imply that he became a chimera ant this episode though, when the big crocodile looking dood said "I should have just eaten him myself" it implies the queen ate him and therefore he's a chimera ant. So I guess they are saving him for later like you said.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Dec 27, 2016 4:19 AM
Jan 2016
Worst episode Ever
Dec 29, 2016 10:50 PM
Jun 2016
Ponzu x Pokkle <\3 still better love story than twilight.
Jun 25, 2017 6:35 AM
Nov 2009
Useless bees. Their master gets killed and they do nothing.
Jul 1, 2017 11:39 AM

May 2016
Damn Ponzu nuuuuuuu T-T
Jul 30, 2017 6:30 AM

Apr 2013
Well, I think Ponzu is a little bit dead after that. Christ on a bike
Aug 13, 2017 7:05 PM
Mar 2017
Great flashback.

Damn, I was sad and caught off guard about Pokkle and Ponzu.. but the horse made me laugh

Oct 21, 2017 9:42 AM

Oct 2015
This is... wow.. what's with the sudden brutality?!

Darned Killua getting greedy in the Hunter Exam and beating everyone up. Maybe Ponzu would have taken a different path and her fate would have altered had he not gone that far. He's like my favorite character in the series but.. fucking hell T_T poor Ponzu...
Oct 21, 2017 9:42 AM
Oct 2017
How do you open a manga that's on your list???
Nov 29, 2017 12:11 PM

Feb 2015
RIP Ponzu ;_;

Fuck Chimera Ants, the last time I was so disturbed by anime was during the first part of AoT.
Dec 3, 2017 1:10 PM

May 2013
RIP Ponzu :'(
at least one of her bees got to Kite

it's strange because at the Hunter exam, she says that her bees naturally attack anyone nearby if she's startled and we saw her stumble and fall before, yet no bees flew out of her hat and attacked the chimera ants :/ so does it only apply to humans? Weird.

I wanna see that Gyro guy as an adult :0 that kind of childhood is total trash and I feel bad for him. He's definitely very corrupted now. More so than that scissors murderer guy.

but lol at that kawaii spider ant. Reminds me of that kawaii titan hahhah. He's a cute idiot who seems to worship Zazan lmao

I think only Colt has some lingering personality traits of Kurt (even the name sounds like a derivative of the same thing) because his strong sense of justice and feelings of wanting to protect Reina were so strong that it's embedded into Colt as a chimera ant. It's quite fascinating. I wonder if Kurt's human memories will eventually flow into Colt because as of right now, he's subconsciously recalling these memories. Didn't even know he called out Reina's name til it was pointed out by the bookworm chimera ant and he reflected on it afterwards.

Hopefully nothing bad happens to Colt because out of all the ants, he exhibits the most humanity and sympathy. Or if he has to die, then I hope he receives a fitting, beautiful, serene death (just like Pakunoda's) because he has kindness instilled within him from Kurt.
Dec 24, 2017 5:39 PM

Aug 2017
This was brutal. I did not expect Ponzu to get killed off like that. That Ant popped a cap in her head and then eat her up voraciously 0_0.

RIP Ponzu

5/5

Jan 1, 2018 9:38 PM

Apr 2015
RIP Ponzu. Can't believe it.
Pokkle better be okay.
Jan 19, 2018 7:21 AM

Mar 2016
That flashback of the NGL underground leader is really great! However, will they be of any importance to this arc? Because I'm sure the queen will just eat him.

Ponzu and that guy are dead, but Gon, Killua, and Kite are here, so the next episode should be amazing.
Mar 10, 2018 8:20 AM
Jan 2018
Soooooo ants are sadists. nice.
Aug 14, 2018 6:44 PM

Dec 2014
Things has gotten towards a wrong to worse turn…… pretty much look bleak from here… I don’t think that hunter with arrow will survive.
Oct 6, 2018 7:15 PM

Jan 2017
Ponzu... that was overkill
Oct 8, 2018 8:54 PM

Oct 2012
I... I was always happy when I saw Ponzu because she was a really interesting character in the Hunter exam arc (one of the most interesting, also the only female that went to far). She didn't pass because she was out and Gon got her tag, but otherwise she probably would. When I saw her in the new Hunter exam I was excited, thought she would pass. But then Killua stole all the glory.

Anyway, I was happy that she was being remembered. When I saw her in this arc I hoped that she wouldn't be killed, but after her relationship with forgot-his-name was shown, my gut feeling told me that she would end up dead, and here it is. Brutal. Murdered and eaten. God, I fucking hate insect-chimeras.

Anyway, Gon didn't say anything, but we could see in his face that he knew that it was Ponzu's blood and clothes (also bees). HxH doesn't have that many amazing female characters (Bisky in the last arc and Machi/glasses-san/Pakunoda in the phantom arc) so I really liked Ponzu and expected a lot of her.......................... But yeah. You can't really expect who Togashi is going to kill next, I guess. I also liked that girl with the kissing nen ability, but she also died just like that. Ughhhh
Dec 28, 2018 6:14 PM

May 2012
Holy F*ck that was bloody dark, that ending especially :| shame to see those two be pretty much scrapped and pretty much killed of directly, even more so a whole proper backstory for a character that doesn't even say anything. Pretty interesting buildup yet very dark. It's a shame that this is so censored.
Jan 26, 2019 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
The whole Chimera Arc has been creepy and brutal, so far.
First, Kurt and Reina (episode 77) and then, Ponzu :'( I didn't expect that. How could they do that to Ponzu?! She got eaten after multiple shot.
Feb 15, 2019 5:45 PM

Dec 2015
The Gyro flashback was probably the best thing this show had offered in 80 episodes. And that flashback has almost nothing to do with the overall story.
And later on the episode, the guy get his face eaten and then happy battle music starts playing? That was just terrible directing. At least they made ponzu death more dramatic by not putting any soundtrack. Also, the way this episode have ended has given me hope that the show will start taking things more seriously and will provide moments with tension
Feb 16, 2019 9:48 AM

Aug 2014
thiago52192 said:
The Gyro flashback

You've already seen one of the best parts of the show.
There's no scene comparable to it until episode 120 or so.
This arc has the best moments in the show but the arc drags like hell.
HxH isn't that great. It's just very old (this anime is a remake) so it has a lot of fans already there overrate it. It was pretty original for its time and inspired some anime that came after it I'll give it that.
Feb 16, 2019 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
BakaKyon said:
thiago52192 said:
The Gyro flashback

You've already seen one of the best parts of the show.
There's no scene comparable to it until episode 120 or so.
This arc has the best moments in the show but the arc drags like hell.
HxH isn't that great. It's just very old (this anime is a remake) so it has a lot of fans already there overrate it. It was pretty original for its time and inspired some anime that came after it I'll give it that.

My thoughts, precisely. Episodes between 80-120 are too slow and there are some minor logic gaps. However, this arc contains the best moments in the entire series. HxH is pretty good but it is a bit overrated as you said. Nonetheless, it is still one of my favourite animes.
Apr 11, 2019 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Balda got Mami'ed

RIP

Also Ponzu's meat would be really tasty like medium rare steak although it's not even cooked, what a lucky mfuxker chimerant.
May 27, 2019 3:20 AM

Mar 2008
Not sure I can watch the last 70 or so episodes. My heart is just shattered for my poor little Ponzu-chan...
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Jun 28, 2019 9:42 PM
Apr 2018
jesus fuck,
this episode, i didnt get to shield
Aug 11, 2019 2:55 PM

Nov 2017
RIP Ponzu. His death is so brutal that I didn't expect it.
Sep 9, 2019 8:47 PM

Oct 2016
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
I can't believe Ponzu just got shot in the head!
Togashi! You reintroduce these classic characters that I missed, and you do this!

Sep 11, 2019 5:08 AM
Apr 2018
I don’t get why some of the soldiers don’t even get ant genes anymore, some of them were like full animals that could just speak. And also, I don’t get why they can use nen or Gyo. Huhuhuhu I don’t get why they are soo strong huhuhu šŸ˜­
*Too lazy to make another signature*
Oct 13, 2019 2:44 AM

May 2016
Attack on Titan airing around the same time as this episode was released sounds very appropriate considering that Pike, that horrific Titan-looking and sounding Chimera Ant, made his timely appearance as the harbinger of Pokkle's eventual demise on the Queen's dinner plate as a superpowered luxury meal. That monstrosity being able to see and catch the guy's Nen must imply that he was one of the Hunters they tried to contact without any success.

Ponzu's sudden death and brutal overkill while she was frantically trying to find a way to get to the border so she can help Pokkle out was very shocking and unfortunate... Kite, Gon, and Killua might've gotten a good laugh out of me when they flexed their speediness to the interpreter and the horse but that tragic moment was a feels bad moment for sure.

I loved how they pulled off Gyro's very tough backstory even though he was pretty much a goner by the time it was over. Very well-directed!
Kajo_Senpai69Oct 13, 2019 9:02 AM

Dec 16, 2019 3:22 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Ddd-dude, no, what? Is this real? No way, there is absolutely no wa-
That was so sudden, I would have never expected that turnout, I should have already given HxH more credit when it comes to brutal kill offs, but even then, this was off the charts. I really liked Ponzu. And if that wasn't enough to bestialise an entire episode, the first half was so dark.
Jan 24, 2020 4:30 PM
Jan 2017
This is my first watch through of this series and I've never read the manga, does the first 5 minutes of this random character going to mean anything? I'm sure it does but it just came out of left field, this shadowy ruler that was never impotent to the plot before suddenly getting a flashback of his life's story. Hopefully I'll find out soon enough.
Feb 17, 2020 7:46 PM

Jun 2017
That took a dark turn real quick...rip Ponzu :'( I was shocked when she just died suddenly, I was hoping she would run into Gon and the others.
Mar 26, 2020 7:39 AM

Jan 2016
damn that monster shot her so many times it was kind of disturbing, since I didn't expect her to die. Finally the main crew is there, because I have been itching to see these fuckers get destroyed.
Mar 26, 2020 7:15 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, RIP Ponzu, her death was awful, shot several times and then eaten.
Mar 31, 2020 9:50 AM
Jul 2019
I hate anime girls dying. That's in my five things I don't want to see. Ponzu is like the most generally-liked female character of Hunter x Hunter. I thought she was gonna escape and help Gon and crew. She has great potential for a good side character. I know she will die eventually but not like this. Goddammit Togashi, that one hurts!

The Chimera Ants are OP as hell. Queen ate normal humans and animals and they're already that strong. That disgusting spider discovered Nen and will probably inform the other ants.

Kinda forgot that this aired in 2013 so people are comparing this to Shingeki no Kyojin. Well you shouldn't, cause that has an entirely different theme where it's normal for people to die all the time. Hunter x Hunter wasn't exactly brutal and this scene caught a lot of people off guard.
SomeGuyWithHairMar 31, 2020 10:00 AM
Apr 12, 2020 5:01 PM
Aug 2019
Gyro's flashback was awsome, it was a emotional roller coaster.. also Ponzu's death, gave me chills... This is a good episode!
Jun 24, 2020 1:27 PM
Mar 2019
Ugh, that flashback was boring. It was about someone who didn't even speak, told through voice over and way. Too. Long. I've gathered from the comments here that the flashback was originally placed later on and the guy has a larger role to play, and they really should have kept it there so we could have actual context as to what this guy's importance to the story is.
Jo_MarchJun 24, 2020 1:33 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Yesterday, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.