Forum Settings
Forums

How to write a realistic harem in one simple step.

New
Feb 15, 2019 10:41 AM

Jan 2012
"Harems are unrealistic", I'm sure you already said that (or heard someone say that) countless times, so how do we fix this problem?

By writing a story about human traffic and (sex) slave-trade! Or about a pimp(ette) and his/her bitches/hunks! And since this is realistic, show only the pessimistic side and make sure the victims fail in every single attempt of freedom, and for better or worse, set your story in Middle East.

Disturbing? Maybe, but being REALISTIC is what matters. The anime community can be happier now.

Feb 15, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2017
Step 1 : Make a character like Johnny Sins.
Feb 15, 2019 10:46 AM

Jan 2012
Skana said:

I should have realized who he is by seeing that the suggestions (before you press Enter) stopped appearing.
Well, he is popular with women, so this is a sign.
Feb 15, 2019 10:49 AM

Dec 2016
Or just make the main character a handsome Chad

What's the difference?
Feb 15, 2019 1:19 PM

Jul 2007
I get this is a joke but you still get a big nope from me, senpai.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Feb 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Sep 2015
Harem expert here, take my advice. Allow me to use two different anime as examples of how, and how not, to make a harem strictly on harem quality, not necessarily anime quality.

How to: Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou:

Each Harem girl in Monster Musume is completely unique, not only in personality but in appearance as well. They are all iconic of the series. There is no anime fan that would see a harem girl from this show and think they were from any other show, let alone another Monster Girl show. Each girl is given equal love and attention by the MC in ways that suit their personalities (Centorea is treated like a companion, Papi like a little sister, Suu like a very young daughter).

Kimihito's lack of special MC traits don't even matter because the entire point of the show is that a normal, kind person became attached to these extraordinary people and while he was obviously made to be a harem vehicle for the audience, their relationships feel real, and he gets more personality from his adventures with the girls than some exposition could ever provide.

How not to: Infinite Stratos

The harems girls in Infinite Stratos are all fucking awful, with the exception of Charlotte and Chifuyu (Yes Laura is awful too, just because she wears an eyepatch, has silver hair, and is occasionally cute doesn't change the fact that she's no different from the others). Barring those two, every harem girl in Infinite Stratos routinely abuses the MC when the affections they FORCE ON HIM aren't reciprocated, despite the fact that they are never made explicit to him (not excusing his density but if you beat around the bush don't be surprised if you hit nothing but grass).

The MC treats his harem more like a friend group, which would be acceptable if he wasn't getting beaten for it every 5 minutes, while doing everything in his power to do the typical protect/care/save them routine (which they don't deserve) and inevitably getting hit by one of them for one reason or another. All the girls are just personality cookie cutters of each other with the exact same schtick; attempt vague seduction of MC, if not successful, attack, if successful, blush, attack, run away screaming, and the worst part is one of these girls (not one of the only two good ones) actually nearly wins in the end. Unbelievable.

So if I had to sum up my advice in 3 steps, it would be:
1. Make ALL the Harem girls likeable and unique inside and out
2. Give the MC both the reasoning and the opportunity to like them all
3. Show them doing regular stuff together, not just the main story
Feb 15, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2018
TigersAndDragons said:
Harem expert here, take my advice. Allow me to use two different anime as examples of how, and how not, to make a harem strictly on harem quality, not necessarily anime quality.

Each Harem girl in Monster Musume is completely unique, not only in personality but in appearance as well. They are all iconic of the series. There is no anime fan that would see a harem girl from this show and think they were from any other show, let alone another Monster Girl show. Each girl is given equal love and attention by the MC in ways that suit their personalities (Centorea is treated like a companion, Papi like a little sister, Suu like a very young daughter).

Kimihito's lack of special MC traits don't even matter because the entire point of the show is that a normal, kind person became attached to these extraordinary people and while he was obviously made to be a harem vehicle for the audience, their relationships feel real, and he gets more personality from his adventures with the girls than some exposition could ever provide.

The harems girls in Infinite Stratos are all fucking awful, with the exception of Charlotte and Chifuyu (Yes Laura is awful too, just because she wears an eyepatch, has silver hair, and is occasionally cute doesn't change the fact that she's no different from the others). Barring those two, every harem girl in Infinite Stratos routinely abuses the MC when the affections they FORCE ON HIM aren't reciprocated, despite the fact that they are never made explicit to him (not excusing his density but if you beat around the bush don't be surprised if you hit nothing but grass).

The MC treats his harem more like a friend group, which would be acceptable if he wasn't getting beaten for it every 5 minutes, while doing everything in his power to do the typical protect/care/save them routine (which they don't deserve) and inevitably getting hit by one of them for one reason or another. All the girls are just personality cookie cutters of each other with the exact same schtick; attempt vague seduction of MC, if not successful, attack, if successful, blush, attack, run away screaming, and the worst part is one of these girls (not one of the only two good ones) actually nearly wins in the end. Unbelievable.

I haven’t seen either of those so I’m not calling either good or bad, but the monster girl one is by no means anywhere close to resembling what the Op is talking about: realistic.

The shows premise, monster girls, throws realism out the door before you even start ep. 1.

And as for the OP’s comment, I mean.... I just find that disturbing. Anime is bad enough with all the rape and lolicons, we don’t need human trafficking too :3
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 15, 2019 2:24 PM

Sep 2015
Hokage_Jason said:
TigersAndDragons said:

I haven’t seen either of those so I’m not calling either good or bad, but the monster girl one is by no means anywhere close to resembling what the Op is talking about: realistic.

The shows premise, monster girls, throws realism out the door before you even start ep. 1.

And as for the OP’s comment, I mean.... I just find that disturbing. Anime is bad enough with all the rape and lolicons, we don’t need human trafficking too :3

Okay yeah I didn't actually read what OP put and just assumed he was looking for advice on writing a harem anime or something.

Now that I have, I regret wasting my time and effort
Feb 15, 2019 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
Harems are flawed, only work when the mc is interested in only one girl and pursues only her, while thirsty bitches want to get him away from his goal but do not succeed.
Feb 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2013
there should be a harem set in the middle east where the term originates from....... that would be realistic and historically accurate use of the word and concept
Feb 15, 2019 5:47 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
if we wanted realistic then we wouldn't be watching anime
Feb 15, 2019 5:52 PM

Aug 2013
I believe you missed the point. I think that when people criticise harem for being "unrealistic", they are not saying they should be more realistic. They are saying harem is a garbage genre with no salvation.

TigersAndDragons said:

...really? I didn't watch the anime but I've read a bit of the manga, and none of the girls struck me as unique or remarkable in the personality department. Appearance, sure, since each of them are different monsters, but for me it felt just like your average harem with a bunch of uninteresting women mysteriously falling in love with the protagonist. But this time they are monsters.

I'd change that with Monogatari. Sure, Monogatari still has some annoying girls with no personality (especially the sisters), but most of them are indeed unique with a distinguished personality, and some of them even have some development along the road.

Honestly, I think the only way to make harem interesting is by adding some (actual) plot aside from the fanservice, or some other interesting element to distinguish it from the rest, because the premise of a bunch of women falling in love with the protagonist will always sound cheap no matter what.
Feb 15, 2019 6:00 PM

Jan 2018
Skana said:

Brazzers could totally make an anime series. They already have plenty of experience with high school stories.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Feb 15, 2019 6:15 PM

Dec 2018
Nanaya-kun said:
Harems are flawed, only work when the mc is interested in only one girl and pursues only her, while thirsty bitches want to get him away from his goal but do not succeed.

This was my take on The Future Diary.

Akise being one of the no good thirsty bitches.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 15, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2019
Propose alternate hypothesis: fix harem anime by making the MC actually an interesting character people would want to get with. Go where no harem anime has gone before :/
Feb 18, 2019 7:37 AM
May 2016
Make it so the mc doesn’t need to choose a girl instead build a harem where every girl wins

Example: testament of sister , masou hxh , highschool dxd, trinity seven

Edit: how to fix every reverse harem

Make all the male characters 3 dimensional
Instead of walking sex objects

Nerdanimefan1992Feb 18, 2019 7:41 AM
Feb 18, 2019 1:42 PM

Jul 2013
1. Make the interaction be natural. You start out as a simple romance, start going slow.

2. Have the MC act more like a human, the most problem I have with harem MC is that some of them are more like the villian. It goes to the point where we root for the antagonist instead of the protagonist. But only there to make the MC look better in comparison.

3. The Female Character to be just more than just a sex object. Lbh, we get tired of these girls just going crazy over the MC. Because omg, you were saved by him. Sometimes even that doesn't happen I'm reading a certain manga and all it takes for girls to be iinfatuated is only BY LOOKING AT HIM and that's just pathetic.

Just do those things and you'll be fine.

Feb 19, 2019 11:26 AM

May 2014
Only real way for there to be a realistic harem is if there isn't a harem at all. That shit just doesn't happen.

Anyone who would insist on writing one, though, it would make sense for the main protagonist to actually have desirable traits. And much more realistic of they were a rich/good looking celebrity, i.e. Justin Bieber
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Feb 19, 2019 1:31 PM

Jan 2012
TigersAndDragons said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Okay yeah I didn't actually read what OP put and just assumed he was looking for advice on writing a harem anime or something.

Now that I have, I regret wasting my time and effort

You haven't. Not at all.
No, really.

My intention with this thread was exactly that: to see what the heck people mean when they say "harems are unrealistic", because in my perspective, harems are not supposed to be realistic in the first place. Sure you can have realistic character interactions in harems, but the sole concept of multiple people who happen to be friends with other and are ALL IN LOVE FOR THE SAME PERSON does not sound realistic to me (of course not 100% unrealistic, but still), and keep in mind that by "in love" I mean "GENUINE LOVE", not just status quo interest or lust.

I think that most harem haters simply don't understand what the the genre truly is or, in the case of harems with ecchi, just don't like sex at all.

Harems are romantic and sexual power fantasies, and yet many people can't understand something as simple as that.
Feb 19, 2019 1:33 PM

Feb 2010
I don't think realism would make me enjoy harems any more than I do now which is not at all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2019 1:35 PM
Oct 2018
Harem mostly contains a childhood friend. A random girl. And the MC's crush.

Edit: Achieving these girls is very unlikely irl.
Feb 19, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
How to write a realistic harem in one simple step.
Just add religion into the mix.
Oh wait, it has to be realistic....
Dang it!
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 19, 2019 1:52 PM

Nov 2018
I doubt the people who say "harems are unrealistic" would want to watch a realistic harem, but you propose an interesting idea!

It could be a "prison break"-esque show, horror style of course. Properly done right it could probably work. not make it super edgy but instead showcase how intense of an issue sex trafficking is and what it would be like to be in a situation like that. Throw in some psychological business and you got yourself a show that no one would like, but still be intrigued enough to watch it
Feb 20, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2013
That suggestion is guaranteed to invite a swathe of toxic social justice discussions. I don't see the community becoming any happier with that.

Heck, I was proved wrong with the very premise of ShieldBro, where I had predicted that there won't be any shit-storm. Lol.

Well, it's not like I enjoy harems in the first place.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 20, 2019 2:36 AM

May 2018
"How to write a realistic harem in one simple step."
4 steps actually.
- Move the plot to the Middle East let say around 17-th century.
- Make all the MCs physically and hygienically unappealing for nowadays standards but historically correct.
- Make the plot based around daily life (growing kids, home economics, money problems, domestic disputes) which is historically correct.

You will find quickly that realistic harems are not that much fun.

PS
Also you can do the some thing with Casanova...and you will get an interesting historical piece with some wild adventures in it but his love life will be equally unappealing.

PS PS
Yeah and the OP is talking about borthel not harem...kind of a different thing.
alshuFeb 20, 2019 3:13 AM
Feb 20, 2019 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
Why would you want an anime to be realistic?
Feb 20, 2019 4:33 AM

Jun 2016
Vini310 said:
"Harems are unrealistic", I'm sure you already said that (or heard someone say that) countless times, so how do we fix this problem?

By writing a story about human traffic and (sex) slave-trade! Or about a pimp(ette) and his/her bitches/hunks! And since this is realistic, show only the pessimistic side and make sure the victims fail in every single attempt of freedom, and for better or worse, set your story in Middle East.

Disturbing? Maybe, but being REALISTIC is what matters. The anime community can be happier now.

My recommendation for you to watch as next show:

School Days: a realistic harem.
Feb 20, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2014
It's already a real life thing for more than one person to be attracted to the same person. As long as they don't know about each other you can date a lot of people at once, making your own harem. 10/10 realism.

There are situations like the ones you presented where one man has multiple wives, but that's never what horny teenagers are looking for in harems anyway.
Feb 20, 2019 5:36 AM

May 2014
Like another user said, School Days is a realistic harem.
Feb 20, 2019 5:52 AM

Nov 2016
You don't watch them. See, I've fixed the problem, too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2019 5:56 AM

Mar 2012
https://myanimelist.net/manga/95109/7th

If you want to know how badly having your harematte forming faction and try to kill each other.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 20, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2018
Vini310 said:

What makes harems unrealistic is the fact that the main character is usually a nobody that manages to attract multiple females without really be unique.
Feb 21, 2019 1:34 AM

May 2013
Classy_Cassy said:
Vini310 said:

What makes harems unrealistic is the fact that the main character is usually a nobody that manages to attract multiple females without really be unique.

To make matters worse, it's also for the most mundane reasons possible which doesn't get you invested in the characters.

Sir Swats-a-fly-off-Her-Back, and then we have : "omg, i want to make babies with him xoxo!! uwu " or Mister Boy-builds-a-sand-castle-with-Her, and then we have :" but you proposed to me when we were fetuses! >w< ".

Hyperbole aside, lastly, teh japanese dig that "I will protect everyone" crap. Enough to have these harem girls swooning at the drop of a hat. Teenage idealism maybe, which is not surprising given the demographic they usually target. "Pretty people all over me, I must be really lucky".
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 21, 2019 9:21 AM

Aug 2009
Vini310 said:

My sister is fan of these shows.Realistic harem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Wives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Five_Wives

ezikialrageFeb 21, 2019 9:47 AM
Feb 21, 2019 9:25 AM

Jan 2015
step1: don't write a harem
step2: ???
step3: you have a chance to write a story which is not garbage

@AmMar-Sama monogatari is overrated
Feb 21, 2019 9:38 AM

May 2018
Daemon said:
Or just make the main character a handsome Chad

that would work as well, but then it wouldn't be self-insertion hahaha.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 21, 2019 10:26 AM

Nov 2009
Want a realistic harem? Just put the MC in a situation where there the opposite gender is in abundance, and MC's gender is in high demand. When our teenage heroine joins a quasi-military unit full of fit young men, is there really any doubt they'll pay a lot of attention to her?

Sure, countries dependent on armies of magical women with an occasional magical man to keep them happy might be less realistic (but it was done in Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance). But the world is still full of professions where most workers are women. And all-girls schools and dormitories still exist.

EcchiGodMamsterP said:
if we wanted realistic then we wouldn't be watching anime

Well said.

Satyr_icon said:
TigersAndDragons said:

...really? I didn't watch the anime but I've read a bit of the manga, and none of the girls struck me as unique or remarkable in the personality department. Appearance, sure, since each of them are different monsters, but for me it felt just like your average harem with a bunch of uninteresting women mysteriously falling in love with the protagonist. But this time they are monsters.

The girls in Monster Musume definitely have enough personality to be comedy anime characters. They're probably even good enough for a more serious genre, but that genre would need to spend more time exploring that, or it would be a waste. You'll probably need to read their personal arcs later in the manga to appreciate them fully, though.

GalacticMagna said:
Sometimes even that doesn't happen I'm reading a certain manga and all it takes for girls to be iinfatuated is only BY LOOKING AT HIM and that's just pathetic.

What, have you never heard of "love at the first sight"?

Lilt said:
Propose alternate hypothesis: fix harem anime by making the MC actually an interesting character people would want to get with. Go where no harem anime has gone before :/

No harem has gone before? seriously? Whether it's Negi Springfield or Arawn, there are enough "interesting" harem leads out there.

Classy_Cassy said:

There are plenty of harems where the MC is somebody. I've seen male leads as kings, heroes, rich heirs, wizards, teachers, demigods and so on. Nowadays harem leads aren't all like Urashima Keitaro or Yuuki Rito.

But most of the time, I just assume the lead is just that good-looking. I don't care much about male beauty (although I assume Negi Springfield is unusually cute and Kyon is unusually handsome even by anime standards), but most female reverse-harem leads are beautiful enough that I would assume they would be popular IRL. Even the ones that are supposedly plain.

Feb 22, 2019 9:41 AM

Jul 2013
flannan said:
GalacticMagna said:
Sometimes even that doesn't happen I'm reading a certain manga and all it takes for girls to be iinfatuated is only BY LOOKING AT HIM and that's just pathetic.

I can see "love at first site". But this isn't it. Forced love, nothing more than lust.

Feb 22, 2019 9:57 AM

Jul 2017
Step 1 : Clean your bed and go to sleep !
Have a good time ^-^)/
Feb 22, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2010
its easy to make a realistic harem
have your protagonist be rich or famous. Done.

bland kids getting all the ladies doesnt make sense and thats how you make an unrealistic harem. However the people who like harems tend to be bland kids who identify with blandness so its a good fit. It really helps with the wish fulfillment.

Heck even SAO is a realistic harem, sure he has a bland personality, but he is the best at everything in that world. Hes famous and every conflict revolves around.
Women tend to be attracted to status and theyre attracted to ability - kirito has both
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 22, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2015
Realistic harem:
1) don't exist.
That's all
Feb 22, 2019 12:00 PM
May 2017
Harems inherently can make sense. It's just a far more complex love triangle. The protag has to choose between multiple partners. There can be scenarios where a male protag can have multiple women lusting after him, perhaps if he's a prince or has a special attribute. However, that's where it ends. The problem with the harem genre is that the protag never fucking chooses, and it's all for the sake of the viewer/general viewer opinion, not for the sake of the narrative.

I've seen tons of stories that writers are afraid of pissing off one section of their fanbase by having one of the girls winning over the others and that's why most harems end with no development at all.
Feb 22, 2019 12:01 PM
Jan 2018
Vini310 said:

That actually sounds like a good idea for a drama, or a parody.
And it would be better than harem in general, too. So...
(P.S.: Harem isn't bad because it isn't realistic. It's bad for MANY OTHER REASONS.)
Feb 22, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2018
Like others said before. Make the MC the prince of an islamic country and have him buy his underage wives.
Feb 22, 2019 9:42 PM

Nov 2009
GalacticMagna said:
flannan said:

I can see "love at first site". But this isn't it. Forced love, nothing more than lust.

I read this manga after that. It's not love at first sight, the MC has unnatural powers of seduction, like some descriptions of succubi. Predictably, the manga becomes pretty much porn at a certain point.

Taifood said:
Harems inherently can make sense. It's just a far more complex love triangle. The protag has to choose between multiple partners. There can be scenarios where a male protag can have multiple women lusting after him, perhaps if he's a prince or has a special attribute. However, that's where it ends. The problem with the harem genre is that the protag never fucking chooses, and it's all for the sake of the viewer/general viewer opinion, not for the sake of the narrative.

I've seen tons of stories that writers are afraid of pissing off one section of their fanbase by having one of the girls winning over the others and that's why most harems end with no development at all.

It's a matter of cultural differences. Now, I'm not an expert on Japanese culture, but apparently many harems are set up so that the MC can't choose.

For example, in Ai Yori Aoshi, the MC loves the main heroine, and she loves him back, but they can't tell it to other girls, because it's a secret love, because of their differences in social standing. For another example, Negi Springfield is a school teacher, and isn't allowed to lewd his students (and he's also a 10-year-old boy who doesn't have much to do with romance in the first place).

In other harems, it's common for the MC to be required to marry more than one girl (but laws only allow him to marry one), and usually loving a girl that isn't one of them, putting him in a situation with no exit.

On the other hand, harem leads like Hakuoro and Arawn don't need to choose, and all their harem girls are considered their wives (and have H-scenes in the games).
Feb 23, 2019 6:53 AM

Dec 2016
a realistic harem is a harem that doesn't exist
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Feb 23, 2019 8:19 AM

Jan 2019
Realism doesn't make a series good. Basic rule of any writer.
I'm new.

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

31 by Wolfyrinn »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
9 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
45 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.