Forum Settings
Forums

Does popularity influence your enjoyment and/or personal connection to an anime?

New
Feb 10, 2019 8:02 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty much it, does the level of popularity of an anime influence how much you like it and/or how strong is your personal attachment with it?

To me, it doesn't determine if I like something or not in the first place (like expected), but it certainly acts as an enjoyment booster in case I did like it in the first place, and the reason is because I feel there's an external added value (that can in certain cases be considerably high) that I attach to a show and that arises from the fact of knowing how much people also like/love the show the same as me. It works like the network effect concept in economics: the value a certain individual gives to a certain product or service increases with the amount of other people using or consuming that same product or service (classic examples are telephones and social networks).

Why this value increase given the number of people using/consuming/liking the product (in this case a show)? Well, because of the natural human need of feeling part of/belonging to a group... human beings (well, most of them) obtain satisfaction when they feel connected to other people and the more people they feel connected to, the better, and the show acts precisely as the connecting link. I think this is precisely one of the reasons some super mainstream shows are part of my favorites; I like knowing I'm part of a large group of people, feeling united to them and knowing that there are going to be a lot of people out there I will be able to share my appreciation for said shows with.

What about you? Does popularity impact how much you like or love a show? Or it isn't a factor at all?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 2019 8:05 PM

Apr 2018
No, but I do get pretty upset when an anime I like gets a lot of hate.
Feb 10, 2019 8:07 PM

Aug 2010
I pick Anime Titles based on the Synopsis as well as Art Style regardless of how popular they are among the fandom.

For Example: I watched Absolute Duo as the Synopsis is similar to Asterisk War and the Art Style looks crisp with pretty cute female characters.
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2019 8:25 PM

Feb 2018
Yes, I try to avoid the popular anime. Although those that I have seen are by own decision or to have "good critics", not because the animes are popular. Although I think that this way of thinking of mine will change when I see enough.
Feb 10, 2019 8:28 PM

Jan 2019
Not really. Although my ratings do generally coincide with most.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Feb 10, 2019 8:56 PM

Jul 2017
Yes and no at the same time. If a show is very hyped for e.g., TPN, then, unfortunately, I end up going into that show having a lot of expectations, which does cloud my enjoyment otherwise at times (i.e., I kinda feel like I'm more critical of certain things at times)
Feb 10, 2019 9:04 PM

Mar 2014
I recently watched an anime I thoroughly enjoyed and then proceeded to read the novel. I decided to look up fan art for it and engrossed myself in the communities I stumbled upon. I found myself enjoying the series and its characters a lot more thanks to all the artistic contributions and memes the anime is enjoying due to its rising popularity. So... yes, popularity does compound my enjoyment IF if I already like the series enough to begin with.
Feb 10, 2019 9:04 PM
Nov 2018
To an extent popularity has an influence. A lot of the time it's due to having more expectations of it and even if it's a great show, if it's super popular and I have higher expectations I might just see it as an ok show. Even so, I try to watch/read things blind with as little expectations as possible and popularity for the most part is more about finding shows. I find personal connection to be a lot more important than popularity since if it has characters/themes that I really enjoy I am more willing to overlook plot holes/bad writing/visual flaws since I'm more invested in the content. It is nice tho if there's a show I personally enjoyed and then I look it up and it's also well liked
Feb 10, 2019 9:07 PM

May 2012
Most popular anime are bad but I like a few. But usually I dont like hype beast anime unless its goblin slayer
Feb 10, 2019 9:20 PM

Feb 2015
No,

Popular animes tend to have something that atracts a fanbase, I.E. SAO attracts teenagers who enjoys videogames, if u dont know anything about anime you are gonna like it tho, and it isnt bad.

In the other hand, Animes like HxH and FMAB are well made animes that can be enjoyed for a first timer and a veteran too.

And animes like 3-Gatsu needs more knowledge and interest in other aspects of the animation, so it is mostly enjoyed by veterans.

My point is, Popularity means nothing, Trash or Masterpieces can be popular.
Feb 10, 2019 9:33 PM

Dec 2018
It can impact my enjoyment negatively, but not positively.

If I liked a show a lot, it being popular or widely hated won’t affect my enjoyment.

But if I go into something popular, I might have expectations and be dissapointed.

I.e. a friend reccomended HxH to me as “the best shounen ever”. Did I think it was good? Yeah? Did I think it was better than the other shounens I had seen? No, actually one of the worst. Had I not went into it expecting it to be better than naruto, one piece, bleach, dbz etc. I probably would of been less critical and enjoyed it more.

(I’m not saying the shounens I like are better than HxH. I think they are, and commercial success recognition would agree, but I understand it’s ultimately my opinion and I definitely don’t think commercial success is a viable way to measure quality. The blind masses enjoy some stupid shit. Especially when it comes to music)
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 10, 2019 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
Nah I mostly find popular anime shit but I watch popular anime to see what made them popular
Feb 10, 2019 11:10 PM

Oct 2013
Popularity doesn't mean much to me when it comes to entertainment.

Do the action scenes hold my attention?
Does the comedy in this make me laugh?
How annoying are the characters to me?
These are what I care about when watching something.
FanofActionFeb 10, 2019 11:17 PM
Feb 10, 2019 11:39 PM

Dec 2011
How popular something is doesn't impact how I ultimately feel towards it. I do take into consideration sometimes what others have to say about it though, if some aspects of it weren't clear enough for me (like vague endings or smth)
Feb 11, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2009
Unpopularity doesn't affect my enjoyment.

But popularity itself can lead to me feeling sick of hearing people talk about a show (particularly if people are hyping or even flaming it in obnoxious ways) and make me delay picking it up. Sure, popular shows are more likely for me to run into them and thus find out about them than unpopular ones, but that in itself doesn't make me want to watch something -- that has more to do with setting, character designs, music, and story premise/type.

JeForceX said:
I pick Anime Titles based on the Synopsis as well as Art Style regardless of how popular they are among the fandom.

For Example: I watched Absolute Duo as the Synopsis is similar to Asterisk War and the Art Style looks crisp with pretty cute female characters.
Just curious, which did you like more? (Also have you seen Hundred?)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 11, 2019 12:29 AM
May 2016
it does nothing to my personal enjoyment. i am not a contrarian that dismisses everything popular and says "if it's popular it's shit," and a show being unpopular won't lower or raise my expectations in any way, or change my enjoyment. in certain cases, such as clannad after story, if it's fans are shoving it down my throat, constantly telling me to watch it, i'll begin to get irritated about the anime and will wait and won't watch it until my opinion has gone back to neutral. but, this isn't only limited to super popular anime, this can happen with unpopular anime too. so, popularity can make me put a delay on watching certain anime, but once that delay is over my opinion is back to where it was, completely neutral
tl;dr so yea, a lot of rambling just happened there, but the point is no, popularity does not affect me
Feb 11, 2019 12:32 AM
Nov 2011
It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the anime but I do tend to watch a series if it has some general positive feedback from the majority.
Feb 11, 2019 12:57 AM

Aug 2015
Popularity doesn’t really affect my enjoyment of a show but it does influence my willingness to watch the show. If a lot of people hype up the show and it’s all anyone ever talks about, I become rather reluctant to watch it. It’s nothing against the show, it just seems like you’re jumping on the bandwagon; I wouldn’t be able to distinguish my emotions regarding the show apart from the influence of others. I would probably watch the show once everything dies down. Mostly a personal issue, a little petty.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Feb 11, 2019 12:58 AM

Apr 2016
The popularity of an anime does not affect my enjoyment. However, I won't be in a rush to see popular anime. I'm more interested in seeking something that appears to be underrated or overlooked. For example, I'm not in a rush to watch Steins;Gate, but I have similar anime like Noein on my PTW.
Feb 11, 2019 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
Meh seasonals are simply more enjoyable for me if there are people to discuss, memes, fanarts and things like that. I probably wouldn't watch something like Kaguya-sama if it wasn't so popular, it isn't my cup of tea, but with all those Chika memes and whatnot it becames mildly fun. In this sense, sometimes popularity can be beneficial, although it won't cause me to fall in love with the anime - it boosts enjoyment to some extent but it doesn't really create any personal connection. And it can sometimes backfire too, because in cases of shows that are really bad in my opinion but they still get a lot of attention for some reason (especially if it's the positive kind of attention), I start to feel like something's out of place.

Also I feel like it's important to also mention here that even though popularity can boost the enjoyment in some cases, it doesn't affect my willingness to watch the show once it piques my curiosity. For example I was equally willing to watch Devilman and Bio Hunter - they both have themes I like to see in anime.
fuyukiFeb 11, 2019 2:02 AM
Feb 11, 2019 3:32 AM

Oct 2010
It bugs me for seasonals when the stuff I'm watching is not popular enough because the discussion becomes very limited. Other than that, if I had to factor in popularity in order to decide what to watch, I would be missing out on a lot of things.
Feb 11, 2019 3:41 AM

Feb 2010
No, not at all. I've never been one to care very much about what's popular and what isn't once I've seen it and formed an opinion, and I'm also not one of those people who just watch seasonals because everyone does it and they want to be part of the 'conversation'. No, I watch anime for myself and my enjoyment and I'd enjoy them as much in a vacuum as I would if everyone on the planet had seen them.

Now that being said of course popularity will have some influence on what I watch and when (or what I don't watch), even if it doesn't change how much I enjoy something. For example if a show becomes really popular it is inevitable to learn more about it because people will talk about it all the time and that information might get me interested in (or lose interest in) specific anime. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

I'd probably have watched Yuri on Ice by now if it wasn't so popular and I wouldn't feel like I already know everything that happens in the show just from seeing people talk about it, paired with it only being of peripheral interest to me in the first place. I also skipped Hibike season 2 because of the popularity of the franchise and the fanbase being kinda toxic in season 1 so I just didn't want to put myself in a position again where I would get randomly flamed and attacked just for having an opinion on the show. It wasn't like I was super into it in the first place, so it just didn't seem worth the trouble. If noone was ever talking about the franchise, I'd probably have watched S2, peacefully on my own tho.

On the other hand sometimes there are shows I'm on the fence about, not sure if I want to give them a try or not, but if a show like that ends up being very popular and well-received it's most likely gonna nudge me towards checking it out. Bunny Senpai might have been a case like this, not sure I would have checked out that synopsis and that cover art if it was in the bottom half of seasonals with a 6-ish score anda few hundred viewers only.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2019 3:48 AM

May 2018
Not at all. I judge base on my own individual merit. I drop shows like Promised Neverland and Dororo this season even though they are among the highly rated one this season. Also drop Mob Psycho since season 1. Other popular anime I drop are Cowboy Bebop and original Macross.
Feb 11, 2019 4:27 AM

Dec 2015
Not really. I might be curious whether the hype is valid in my eyes but otherwise it doesn't mean anything to me.
Feb 11, 2019 4:40 AM

May 2018
No, but I wish some of the things I like were more popular. After all, it's very nice to share something and be part of a ''fanbase'', for better or worse.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 11, 2019 4:42 AM

Oct 2012
Funny. The one's I personally like are the ones that no one knows or just very underrated.
"Who knows."
Feb 11, 2019 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
So you are asking if the popularity affects my enjoyment right?

No. I can't understand why should it... Well, it increases to discover something I can like sure but that is the end of the effect.

_Aqua_Sama_ said:
> Aqua is in the favs.
You must be having a field day with that.
Feb 11, 2019 4:53 AM

Oct 2017
my instant response to both those questions were no, but just giving it a little more thought I realised it does! not in direct terms like if an anime is popular then I will/won't like it, but for instance if an anime is insanely popular and I decide to watch it and it's just meh, I'll probably get more disappointed than I would if it was just another random anime because its popularity would raise my expectations. and if I enjoy a show that is insanely popular I guess my personal connection to it would be greater than usual because I'll be much more exposed to it than to a more lowkey show
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Feb 11, 2019 5:47 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Unfortunately, yes

I tend to evade "popular" shows like the plague and wait until everyone's forgotten about them.
It also causes me to have somewhat higher expectations in comparison to random seasonals.
Feb 11, 2019 6:00 AM

Apr 2018
sasalx said:
So you are asking if the popularity affects my enjoyment right?

No. I can't understand why should it... Well, it increases to discover something I can like sure but that is the end of the effect.

_Aqua_Sama_ said:
> Aqua is in the favs.
You must be having a field day with that.

Lots of ppl like her though... she's funny!
Feb 11, 2019 6:51 AM

Sep 2012
@_Aqua_Sama_

I was actually talking about Kazuma since he likes to trash talk about her. Small meta joke.
Feb 11, 2019 7:21 AM

May 2018
I am a bit unfairly prejudice about popular shows and it's a very strange feeling when I like one.

It's not that I search mainly for good stuff actually the opposite - I prefer cheesy mainstream versed entertainment but when it aligns with more people's taste it's almost a shock to me. Like Dororo, Kaguya-sama and the first season of Mob 100 (liking the second it's not that surprising).
Feb 11, 2019 7:22 AM
Apr 2016
No, but reviews do, reading them makes me notice some flaws I didn't manage to catch myself.
Feb 11, 2019 7:22 AM

May 2016
If other people enjoy a show I like, I instantly disown it.
Feb 11, 2019 7:46 AM

Jun 2016
I like it when a show is popular because that means that I can talk about it with loads of people which is great, I love being able to get hyped for the next episode of an anime together with a group of people. But sometimes too much popularity can spoil the anime for me as people can get toxic or annoying (for example: yaoi fangirls that keep bothering you about how something is totally gat, don't sue me.) I get a stronger personal connection with an anime if it's something I frequently discussed with my friends. Kiznaiver is one of my favourite series because it was a good show but mainly because I watched it with my best friend and we constantly discussed every single moment of it. Series like boku no hero are amazing to watch partly because of the massive and kind fandom that it has. I like watching lesser-known anime too, but the issue with those is that they don't get the love that I personally think they deserve, which can annoy me from time to time and lead me to become more disconnected to the show because no one is really talking about it.
Feb 11, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
Most people will reply with, "no" but that's bullshit.
We are humans. Social animals. We are peer pressured into doing certain things, consciously or subconsciously. If it wasn't for its critical acclaim, I don't think I would've enjoyed Monster as much.
Feb 11, 2019 8:17 AM
Feb 2019
My answers are both YES and NO. I'm the kind that watches a series whenever I feel like. Sometimes I read their synopsis but sometimes I start the first epsiode without getting any warnings. I also do not set high or any specific expectations when watching. If I find it enjoyable, then I'll hype it (esp in social medias). If I find it (not to be that critique but) bad, then I'll just let it be and understand what it is pertaining to and add it to my completed anime list. Simple as that.

No because a lot of ppl have different taste in anime. Different genres they prefer and different demographics they want. I think everyone is aware of that. I, too because some ppl do not like the series I love (most of my beloved and favorite series are all underrated and deserve recognition, but for some reason, it can't). This is why I stopped relying to comments, reviews and ratings. They give me trust issues. I realized I don't want to watch just to judge. I want to watch to indulge, sit and relax in my room til 2AM, eating midnight snacks or wtv, and just simply feel connected to the show, and enjoy it til the last episode drops. I want to laugh when the scene is laughable and I want to cry when it denotes death and sadness without giving any consideration of what others might think. I also prefer underrated rather than overrated (no offense). I think the purpose of this is to be able to share it and recommend them with your friends who doesn't know about the show yet. It's pretty helpful when you influence them and they enjoy and love it the way you do.

My other answer shouts "yes" because I think it's nice to know that more and more ppl spread their enjoyment about the show. In this case, you aren't alone and you'll be able to share your thoughts and opinions in the state where everyone will understand or get you. You can join groups and fan clubs and you can totally fangirl/fanboy without a problem.
chanchanbaekFeb 11, 2019 8:20 AM
Feb 11, 2019 8:28 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
Not really for me. I watch what I feel like watching really. I take MAL ratings with a grain of salt when going into a show I'm watching.
Feb 11, 2019 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
Watching Weekly - Yes because I wanna be part od the discussion and its easy to get invested in the hype.

When watching something old - Not really. I watch what ever I feel like watching from my PTW.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2019 8:34 AM

Jan 2010
The only thing that popularity influence my anime watching experience is how big, productive and creative the fandom would be. The more popular it is, the better. If I happen to love the show, I'll have a lot of contents to consume, and a ton of fellow fans to talk to.

Other than that, no.
Feb 11, 2019 10:02 AM

Dec 2018
It isn't a factor at all.

As long as I find the show appealing personally, others' opinions don't matter. We all have likes and dislikes - to each their own.
Feb 11, 2019 3:13 PM

Nov 2017
I don't consider popularity that much, but it'd probably be easier to find people to talk to about the popular anime in question if nothing else (if I end up liking it, that is)
Feb 11, 2019 3:16 PM

Aug 2016
Popularity does not affect how much I love or hate an anime at all, although since I'm pretty new to anime I tend to gravitate more towards trying a lot of popular shows before I start heading into more obscure territory, though every now and then I will still.
Feb 11, 2019 3:27 PM

Nov 2016
Not really, but the anime will definitely rather get my attention.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 11, 2019 3:40 PM

Jan 2018
Nah. I mean seeing as I'm a relatively new returnee to the anime world (only been avidly watching for ~3 years since I came back), I tend to gravitate towards shows with higher scores/popularity just for the sake of wanting to experience what most consider to be "the best", but so far it hasn't affected my own enjoyment whatsoever. Like I'm watching FMA:B right now and even though I like it, I definitely don't think it deserves the #1 rating on the site. Death Note is the most popular anime on MAL and I couldn't even make it past 10 episodes. Steins;Gate, on the other hand, I consider to be a masterpiece- it has nothing to do with others' opinions. I like what I like, regardless of what others say/think about it.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Feb 11, 2019 3:42 PM

Aug 2009
No, but the negative opinions that people have about what I like fuels the whole "Anime is trash and so am I" joke that I like to run with.

Feb 11, 2019 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely not, if we are talking specifically about anime. Like just cause smt is popular with a couple of weebs does not mean shit here. I will never take people hyping crap like Re;Zero or DiTF seriously, especially cause they will forget about it once the season ends and another hype train shows up. Remember Erased anyone?

To me a favorite has to be a personal thing, and not just cause it is trendy to like it at the time in order to fit in somewhere. That way you can also have more meaningful discussions with people who enjoy the weird shit you do, instead of generic ones about mundane anime.
Feb 11, 2019 4:56 PM

Aug 2010
GlennMagusHarvey said:

JeForceX said:

I prefer Absolute Duo's personal ambitions over Asterisk War's political warfare.

Have not watched Hundred yet but the synopsis sounds similar to Infinite Stratos which is kind of a "Convenient Harem".
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
Feb 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Jul 2016
No and yes, its curious to see the popular series get love and I watch it whats the hype about and other popular that i dont like and its super loved but when I watch its bad or mediocre. I ended up not liking it with annoying fanbase.

Feb 11, 2019 5:53 PM

May 2009
JeForceX said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I prefer Absolute Duo's personal ambitions over Asterisk War's political warfare.

Have not watched Hundred yet but the synopsis sounds similar to Infinite Stratos which is kind of a "Convenient Harem".
I, too, preferred Absolute Duo over Asterisk War, though this was mainly because the harem aspects just weren't really that entertaining in Asterisk War, while Absolute Duo actually had more interesting characters (both Julie Sigtuna and Lilith Bristol specifically).

I watched Hundred at around the same time and it was probably the most forgettable of the three. Because I've forgotten the most about it.

I haven't watched Infinite Stratos yet though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

31 by Wolfyrinn »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
12 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
47 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.