Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2019 1:30 PM

Dec 2008
As anime only (at least for the first part, i read some of the later chapters of managa), this is what i could think of after seeing the ending:

Feb 7, 2019 1:33 PM

Feb 2018
This was a very tense episode.

Very clever of Ray to be double crossing Mom, but I hope he's being honest with Norman and Emma about his intentions. The scene with him smiling when he left the room after talking with Norman makes me think he isn't, but I didn't quite pick up on what was going on in their heads there. Why did Norman eventually smile like that? Also, I liked Ray's creepy smile. It didn't feel out of place for him since he's usually the more serious one.

Emma's reaction to Ray admitting to being the spy made me laugh. But I'm surprised Norman didn't say anything about Ray telling Emma they can still escape with everyone when earlier he told Norman they couldn't.

The mind games are getting more interesting and the tension keeps building as they gather more information.

I feel like they need to be honest with Don and Gilda about the fate of the kids being shipped out. Sure it might make them panic, but Don is trying to break into Mom's secret room in hopes of saving Conny when in reality she's already dead. They're being really stupid and I hope it doesn't ruin things for the main three. The whole time I was like "what are you doing Don get out of there you dumbass!". Let's hope it was Emma, Don, or Norman that was opening that door.

If the show has gotten this tense already, I can't imagine what the actual escape sequence will be like. Hopefully they'll do a double length finale like they did with Made In Abyss.
Feb 7, 2019 1:38 PM

Dec 2015
I can't be the only one thinking the traitor/spy being Ray was a bit of an obvious choice? I don't know if it's different in the manga (I haven't read it yet) but I think they made it really obvious it was him. Also I'm assuming it isn't the Mother coming through the door. I want to say it would be one of the main three, assuming Don would just go and try find the hidden room, or Krone. I could be wrong though.

The episodes go by so quickly it's funny, thought the sound track was pretty much on point too. Looking forward to next week.

Feb 7, 2019 1:38 PM

Feb 2018
Shingster said:
To think that Ray really was the spy though. But Norman's way of dealing with this situation sure was impressive for someone his age. If anything Ray's own prep was even more extensive than But man Ray's ambition really was something. Emma's reaction to Ray's confession sure was amusing. Its nice seeing the team not only expand their strength but also begin working to find clues. Guess Don was just too hot headed after all. Curious to see what they found in that room though.

Yeah I felt the same way about Ray. I was impressed he was smart enough to go that far to ensure their safety and escape. Now I don't know who the smartest is haha.
Feb 7, 2019 1:40 PM

Jul 2016
Intense episode, the Norman and Ray scene is great. Emma is mad this episode, Don is impatient and Gilda found the secret room. And dat cliffhanger. Overall another great episode, they adapt few chapters.

Feb 7, 2019 1:40 PM

Feb 2018
Dariat said:
praisethevillain said:

I had that reaction too. That's how you know you're immersed in a great show :)

That's strange, I felt it was a pretty long episode

I guess it can depend on how into it you are. If you're completely focused on what's going on you may not perceive how much time is going by. I guess it depends on the individual as well though.
Feb 7, 2019 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
praisethevillain said:
BenSpeirs said:
That was 21 minutes?!

Damn it flew by way too quickly. I'm terrified and outraged.

I swear it's how tense the episodes are that makes them fly by like it is nothing, not a bad thing, but it does make me want more.
Feb 7, 2019 2:05 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015

Indeed lol Ray's revelation here sure proved that he's someone that thinks way ahead of even Norman.

praisethevillain said:
Shingster said:
To think that Ray really was the spy though. But Norman's way of dealing with this situation sure was impressive for someone his age. If anything Ray's own prep was even more extensive than But man Ray's ambition really was something. Emma's reaction to Ray's confession sure was amusing. Its nice seeing the team not only expand their strength but also begin working to find clues. Guess Don was just too hot headed after all. Curious to see what they found in that room though.

Yeah I felt the same way about Ray. I was impressed he was smart enough to go that far to ensure their safety and escape. Now I don't know who the smartest is haha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2019 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
I don't know how to feel about Ray being a double agent as of now, but his talk with Norman, after he was found out as the "traitor" and neither of them needed to keep on faking, that was something. It's also cool how he purposely let them find out the truth like that. But six years? How could he possibly understand, and deal with the truth being just a really young kid? I guess that at the very least it explains his personality, and why he wasn't as carefree as the others, he grew up with a burden. But can they really run away when they can't even be truly honest between themselves?

Now, Gilda already stood her ground in a confrontation against sister Krone, realized that there are further circumstances, and easily found the hidden door; she has potential. But Don is being too impulsive, and it can be dangerous. The one opening the door is probably one of the trio because they could read him or another kid, or at least I hope so.
Feb 7, 2019 2:25 PM

Jan 2017
My theory was kinda correct, but I really thought it'd be more along the lines of Ray acting out to save his own skin through some reward like not being shipped out as per usual and instead be able to become an adult...that wasn't the case, and instead it was to delay his departure; that's not much of an incentive, but anyways...

This was, nonetheless, a great episode and I can't wait for what's coming next.
Feb 7, 2019 2:29 PM
Jan 2019
The disappointment, brother betrayal.

They should take away the false hopes and tell them that Conny is dead.
Feb 7, 2019 2:41 PM

Jan 2014
Maybe Ray likes Emma and that's what Norman realized and what made Ray upset in the hallway? idk
Feb 7, 2019 2:48 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A very nice episode that throws more wildcards into the mix. Each week seems to drag until the next episode.....lol.
Feb 7, 2019 3:09 PM

Apr 2012
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Good episode BUT WHY ARE THEY STILL SAYING THEIR PLANS LOUDLY.

PS: If you are a manga reader then please wait until the adaptation is over before judging it cause they might show some of the "deleted scenes" later. also don't ruin every thread with your bitching and moaning. no one cares as long as the actual show is entertaining.

THIS SO MUCH.

To properly judge an adaptation, at least let it end. I mean, even Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood included certain manga scenes later (or earlier) in order to tell the story through anime.
Feb 7, 2019 3:15 PM

Jan 2019
You can't spell betrayed without ray ;p
Feb 7, 2019 3:18 PM

Nov 2014
tambi33 said:
My theory was kinda correct, but I really thought it'd be more along the lines of Ray acting out to save his own skin through some reward like not being shipped out as per usual and instead be able to become an adult...that wasn't the case, and instead it was to delay his departure; that's not much of an incentive, but anyways...

That's not his incentive. He asked to delay his departure so he can have more time to gather info and plan the escape. His real incentive is to successfully escape together with Emma and Norman and prevent his two best friends from dying.

desuminator said:
As anime only (at least for the first part, i read some of the later chapters of managa), this is what i could think of after seeing the ending:

?????????????????????????????

CeddyyBearr said:
praisethevillain said:

I swear it's how tense the episodes are that makes them fly by like it is nothing, not a bad thing, but it does make me want more.

praisethevillain said:
Shingster said:

haha the smartest is still Norman
Feb 7, 2019 3:21 PM

Nov 2014
theperceptivefox said:
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
Good episode BUT WHY ARE THEY STILL SAYING THEIR PLANS LOUDLY.

PS: If you are a manga reader then please wait until the adaptation is over before judging it cause they might show some of the "deleted scenes" later. also don't ruin every thread with your bitching and moaning. no one cares as long as the actual show is entertaining.

THIS SO MUCH.

To properly judge an adaptation, at least let it end. I mean, even Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood included certain manga scenes later (or earlier) in order to tell the story through anime.

The issue is FMAB has enough episodes to properly adapt the manga, while TPN has way too little episodes. The entire escape arc is like 36 chapters, about 5 volumes of manga. Adapting all that into 12 episodes is already tough. I doubt they have time to add in deleted scenes.

TensaZangetsu__ said:
You can't spell betrayed without ray ;p

omg genius!!!
Feb 7, 2019 3:25 PM
Sep 2017
I love this episode! It felt like the tenses are coming back from here. I am a manga reader so I had much expect for how they'll adapt and found myself kind of disappointed by several episode back but I think for this episode, they pretty much fulfilled it. We know it must be hard to keep the tension for a long talk scene, and they just do with the good choice of movement and soundtrack--despite maybe some lack on the other details, but really this is good enough!
Feb 7, 2019 3:32 PM

Jan 2017
HereticHunter said:
Hmmm, I'll have to agree that this works better as a manga instead of Anime like @Xenocrisi says. There are some highs about it being animated like hearing the voices of the characters and the backgrounds are really great, but if they are going to leave out a lot of details behind they shouldn't really have bothered in the first place. 12 episodes is way too short for the whole escape arc imo.

Cyborg_Icarus29 said:

OH BOO HOO!

We all have our right to share our thoughts about it, just because there is some negative feedback doesn't entirely mean we are wrong. These "deleted scenes" wouldn't make sense later in the anime, as most of them are inner monologues that added a lot of value to what is shown at that specific moment. Yes, they might add the skipped content that aren't inner monologues, but its very unlikely, and if they do, it might not hold the same impact it did on the manga.

This criticism is fair. You actually explained why you think this adaptation isn't as good as the manga without bitching. I don't mind criticism at all. I just hate how people just spam "they skipped muh favorite chapter REEEEE" and leave.
Feb 7, 2019 3:32 PM

Apr 2012
ttcchen said:
theperceptivefox said:

THIS SO MUCH.

The issue is FMAB has enough episodes to properly adapt the manga, while TPN has way too little episodes. The entire escape arc is like 36 chapters, about 5 volumes of manga. Adapting all that into 12 episodes is already tough. I doubt they have time to add in deleted scenes.

That's true. I too think 12 episodes is a bit too short. Still, with the great popularity this manga has in japan, I feel a second season is very possible and certain flashbacks could always be added later. I mean, My Hero Academia started the first season with 13 episodes and it was so successful that the second and third seasons got 25 episodes each. There's also Erased, which also had 12 episodes yet the manga has 9 volumes. The anime cut off a lot and yet it gives the same vibe as the manga.

I think having so little episodes at first may just be a way for the animation studio to test the waters in order to see the reception the anime will have. Making an anime is very expensive after all.

Personally, I think the anime adaptation is doing a very good job, so far. But I'll leave my final judgement for the end.
Feb 7, 2019 4:10 PM

Aug 2016
Good episode. In the manga, since the internal monologues, you already know the true intentions of Norman and Ray after their confrontation, while here, you are left wondering... interesting.

(slight spoilers ahead)

Feb 7, 2019 4:20 PM

Nov 2014
theperceptivefox said:
ttcchen said:

That's true. I too think 12 episodes is a bit too short. Still, with the great popularity this manga has in japan, I feel a second season is very possible and certain flashbacks could always be added later. I mean, My Hero Academia started the first season with 13 episodes and it was so successful that the second and third seasons got 25 episodes each. There's also Erased, which also had 12 episodes yet the manga has 9 volumes. The anime cut off a lot and yet it gives the same vibe as the manga.

I think having so little episodes at first may just be a way for the animation studio to test the waters in order to see the reception the anime will have. Making an anime is very expensive after all.

Personally, I think the anime adaptation is doing a very good job, so far. But I'll leave my final judgement for the end.

True.
But.
Erased got an anime original ending.
And tbh
that ending didn't do the manga justice

Gorsch said:
(slight spoilers ahead)

Feb 7, 2019 4:47 PM
Jan 2016
Ray is the spie, as Norman suspected, since 6 year ago he is Mother's spie, knowing everything! But at same time he is like a double agent!

I think Emma sensed Ray's intention, and noticed everything Ray has done!

Norman nightmare was intense!
Feb 7, 2019 4:47 PM

Feb 2014
So Ray knew all along, that solves a small issue I had with this anime.
Feb 7, 2019 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
ttcchen said:
theperceptivefox said:

True.
But.
Erased got an anime original ending.
And tbh
that ending didn't do the manga justice

Well, then I guess it's just a matter of taste. I saw the anime and read the manga and loved them both.
Feb 7, 2019 4:58 PM

May 2014
I-is something actually gonna happen?
Is this escape going be like only in the last 10 minutes of the last episode which will end on a cliffhanger?
These episodes are barely progressing the actual objective whatsoever..
There is just so little suspense direction in this ''horror'' anime that all episodes are just of people talking, if you at least adapted it to be somewhat a horrific suspense anime i would be entertained.
Feb 7, 2019 4:59 PM

Feb 2016
Cyborg_Icarus29 said:
HereticHunter said:
Hmmm, I'll have to agree that this works better as a manga instead of Anime like @Xenocrisi says. There are some highs about it being animated like hearing the voices of the characters and the backgrounds are really great, but if they are going to leave out a lot of details behind they shouldn't really have bothered in the first place. 12 episodes is way too short for the whole escape arc imo.

OH BOO HOO!

We all have our right to share our thoughts about it, just because there is some negative feedback doesn't entirely mean we are wrong. These "deleted scenes" wouldn't make sense later in the anime, as most of them are inner monologues that added a lot of value to what is shown at that specific moment. Yes, they might add the skipped content that aren't inner monologues, but its very unlikely, and if they do, it might not hold the same impact it did on the manga.

This criticism is fair. You actually explained why you think this adaptation isn't as good as the manga without bitching. I don't mind criticism at all. I just hate how people just spam "they skipped muh favorite chapter REEEEE" and leave.

well then, If that's the case, I see your point. I thought at first you were referring to every manga reader and stuff like that. Bad assumption of mine. I think what killed this adaptation was that they got only 12 episodes, so of course there would be skipped material. Its a fairly decent anime for those who don't know the source.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 7, 2019 5:15 PM

May 2017
Sushantbro said:
Loathsome said:
well they might pay a price for not telling them that conny is dead tho
I can imagine his reaction when he finds out the truth. It's not going to be pretty.

I think Ray is just testing those two, they're on a different level, so I don't think they'll just hey Don, get dinner prepared while you're this emotional lol and even Emma didn't stop Gilda from following Don, genius trio gonna open the door next episode it's just a prank bro, that's just my guess

@Nurguburu

The episode made it pretty clear that he somewhat cares for Norman and Emma but at the same time his mentality is if they plan on dying by saving everyone, he'd prefer if they just die and don't get the despair of trying and failing at the end coz he cares for them and don't want them to suffer

I'd say his good intentions outweighs the bad so he good imo
Feb 7, 2019 5:16 PM
Feb 2019
"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST."
Every other comment: Manga manga manga, you should really read the manga.
🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️
Feb 7, 2019 5:59 PM

May 2016
Dropped the show completely now.

Actually I dropped it last week (episode 4) but didn’t bother to post.

If you really like series I recommend the manga.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Feb 7, 2019 6:09 PM
Aug 2018
Omg is it mom, or sister, or ray, or someone else.
AAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Feb 7, 2019 6:11 PM

Feb 2015
While I usually like it, the direction and faces in the Norman & Ray scene was a bit much this time. I mean, I sort of enjoy how the anime really hams those up, but they usually retain an edge of menace that I just wasn't getting from this. Although maybe Ray's just playing it up himself, hence why it feels more like play-acting. Either way, Emma's simultaneous comfort and threat to Ray was much more effective for me.

The trust issues are a kind of interesting case here- I was thinking during the episode how stupid it is that they gave Don hope for Conny, but I don't think that telling him that she's dead would make him react much better to be honest.

Also, I see a lot of manga readers worried about the lack of inner monologues in this adaptation, but that's actually something I'm really glad isn't here, ha ha. I mean, I'm an anime-only, but the inner monologue is something that I feel like really holds other Shonen Jump properties back (looking at you My Hero), so it's refreshing that it's lacking here especially since part of the tension is in not knowing what people are thinking for me.
fight-or-flightFeb 7, 2019 6:38 PM
Feb 7, 2019 6:16 PM
Nov 2015
I am also curious as to what both Norman and Ray realized after Ray left the room. I can’t seem to figure it out, maybe I missed something.
Feb 7, 2019 6:16 PM

Feb 2012
I know Don and Gilda are just kids and not as smart as our 3 genius MCs but god damn their stupidity is frustrating as hell. I hope next episode it's Emma or something at the door and this doesn't fuck everyone over.
Feb 7, 2019 6:18 PM
Nov 2017
Minar-kyun said:
So Ray knew all this from the beginning and he was the one who set up all these events. For some reason Ray is too fixated on saving Norman and Emma even if he needs to sacrifice others.
And these cliffhanger endings every week.
those are his best friends ..
Feb 7, 2019 6:26 PM
Nov 2015
Offeight said:
Maybe Ray likes Emma and that's what Norman realized and what made Ray upset in the hallway? idk
so how is this beneficial to Norman, and a disadvantage for Ray.
Feb 7, 2019 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Felt that 15 minute episode so nice but again sad they skip some info that make Ray awesome character. feels bad for the non readers but on the other hand there was one moment really impressed me and that cliffhanger was nice too.
Feb 7, 2019 7:10 PM

Jan 2009
Can't say I like this adaptation so far, it's not bad in general but it has many issues, the biggest one is that they're skipping all internal dialogue for no reason other than to cut parts so they can fit the whole arc in 12 episodes, it's sad because everything would've worked out very well if it was 13 episodes long instead.
Also the way they're treating this series gives me the impression that they're not planning to make a sequel.
Feb 7, 2019 7:10 PM

Nov 2014
Gaigeb95 said:
Offeight said:
so how is this beneficial to Norman, and a disadvantage for Ray.

Thats not the reason
The anime didn't show their inner thoughts but they were actually thinking
Norman realized how big of a trump card they have now
And ray is frustrated and determined to not let anyone destroy the escape plan he had prepared for 6 years
Feb 7, 2019 7:12 PM
Mar 2015
Loved the mind games between Ray and Norman.
Feb 7, 2019 7:16 PM

Nov 2014
Lairucrem said:
Sushantbro said:
I can imagine his reaction when he finds out the truth. It's not going to be pretty.

I think Ray is just testing those two, they're on a different level, so I don't think they'll just hey Don, get dinner prepared while you're this emotional lol and even Emma didn't stop Gilda from following Don, genius trio gonna open the door next episode it's just a prank bro, that's just my guess

@Nurguburu

The episode made it pretty clear that he somewhat cares for Norman and Emma but at the same time his mentality is if they plan on dying by saving everyone, he'd prefer if they just die and don't get the despair of trying and failing at the end coz he cares for them and don't want them to suffer

I'd say his good intentions outweighs the bad so he good imo

It wasn't supposed to be like this
In the manga Don actually volunteered to help prepare dinner after he got his emotions in control. While in the anime he was told to do so...
Feb 7, 2019 7:22 PM

Jun 2016
This episode felt like 10 minutes long holy shit that ended fast.
Feb 7, 2019 7:56 PM

Jul 2016
Very interesting episode. The interaction between Ray and Norman was rather enjoyable to watch although I think Ray's crazy expressions were unnecessary but that's just my opinion.

I also liked Norman's nightmare scene. I liked how it gave more tension to the talk he had with Ray about how difficult it would be for all the kids to escape.

And also, man... Don will condemn them all, that was a pretty stupid move. But I have the feeling that the person who was about to enter the room wasn't Mama. Let's see if Don's actions will cause any consequence.
Feb 7, 2019 7:57 PM

Dec 2014
Ray being awesome as always despite the Normal power play from last episode. :3

That Emma face when she almost threatened Ray to never experiment with the children again. xD
The anime is really nailing these facial expressions. xD

First half was awesome and the soundtrack was great too.
Don and Gilda potentially in trouble at the end.

I still do wish this was a panel by panel adaptation but it's still pretty great.
Feb 7, 2019 8:26 PM

Oct 2012
Love how intense this show is even though there's been very little action.
Feb 7, 2019 8:29 PM

Apr 2016
YOU BEST STOP WITH THOSE CLIFFHANGERS!!
moe moe ichijou seiya

Feb 7, 2019 8:30 PM

Feb 2015
Norman discovered Ray as Mom’s spy. Norman was right about it and Ray explains that he has been a spy for many years and that knowing the truth, he really wants to cooperate with the plan to escape, with the condition of leaving almost all the kids behind (like a double spy). Ray went to inform Mom. They reveal the secret to Emma and Ray’s intentions behind everything. Emma and Gilda discovered that Mom disappears in specific rooms of the house, so they concluded that there must be a secret room with different entrances, Ray thinks that room could be the place from where she communicates and informs about the kids. They concluded that trying to enter there could be very dangerous, but Don can’t accept it, so he went to Mom’s office, and after discovering a locked door behind a bookshelf, someone is opening the office’s door.

Ray’s position is very impressive, he has been spying for Mom for many years, and if he really planned Conny’s event, when Emma and Norman discovered the truth about the orphanage, he is really smart. Pretty funny how Emma took that revelation. Don must know the truth about Conny, please someone tell him that she’s already dead.
Feb 7, 2019 8:31 PM

Apr 2016
every time ray and norman have some tense conversation i can’t not laugh because they’re literally 11 years old and talking like they’re fuckin secret service agents or smth
moe moe ichijou seiya

Feb 7, 2019 8:32 PM

Apr 2018
The anime is doing a great job and most of the "important infos" that are being left out aren't even that important or are mentioned again later on (even in the manga) and a lot of the inner monologues weren't important
And the pacing isn't too fast

The only prob i have is the screaming
Feb 7, 2019 8:34 PM

Feb 2017
BlackstarFallen said:
The faces Ray was making when he was talking to Norman were really stupid and it ruined the whole scene for me.

Lol, i loved the faces ray was making... you're nitpicking way too much xD
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.