Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 12, 2018 5:42 PM

May 2010
So as many know I'm not always the most diligent when it comes to legally watching anime, however I sometimes do make those promises to myself.

When Koe no Katachi (A silent Voice) & Kimi no na Wa (Your Name) aired in Japan in august of 2016, I made myself a promise that I would purchase both of these movies officially on blu ray to enjoy my first experience watching them. (Ideally it would have been in theatres, but no local theatre was playing them).

My question is it is now April of 2018, and most of the world has already received a Koe no Katachi BD release - including but surely not solely limited to, the United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, & Thailand.

Unfortunately BD's are region locked, so its not so simple as buying the UK BD release (or i would have done that months ago).

What's most shocking is the completely void of news even pertaining to a US BD release - and considering the international acclaim and success of this movie, it truly is baffling. Has anyone picked up a licence for this film yet? Is there literally any news pertaining to if/when the US will received a BD release?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Apr 13, 2018 8:28 AM

Mar 2017
I remember reading an article last summer stating that at Anime Expo, where Funimation announced their planned US release date of Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) on Blu-ray, there was a similar announcement to the effect that the Blu-ray release of Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) would also be by the end of 2017. Obviously that didn't happen.

I hope it doesn't go into an indefinite holding pattern. Consider, for example, that Hotarubi no Mori e (Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light) dates from 2011, but despite being among the highest rated anime films and appearing on many Top 10 lists, it has never been officially released in North America.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Apr 13, 2018 12:06 PM

May 2010
mwalimu said:
I remember reading an article last summer stating that at Anime Expo, where Funimation announced their planned US release date of Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) on Blu-ray, there was a similar announcement to the effect that the Blu-ray release of Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) would also be by the end of 2017. Obviously that didn't happen.

I hope it doesn't go into an indefinite holding pattern. Consider, for example, that Hotarubi no Mori e (Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light) dates from 2011, but despite being among the highest rated anime films and appearing on many Top 10 lists, it has never been officially released in North America.

Ugggh yeah that's true, but Hotorubi no Mori E was met with more critical acclaim, than popular acclaim - and I could be wrong , but has it been internationally released all over the globe but America?

This really is just such a strange situation. I thought i remember hearing something in the past about Funimation having the license as well, but this is unbelievably lethargic. Have to believe it would sell well in the states. It's one of the top grossing animated films in world history.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
NexuApr 15, 2018 3:43 PM

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Apr 13, 2018 6:19 PM

Dec 2012
Johan said:
So as many know I'm not always the most diligent when it comes to legally watching anime, however I sometimes do make those promises to myself.

When Koe no Katachi (A silent Voice) & Kimi no na Wa (Your Name) aired in Japan in august of 2016, I made myself a promise that I would purchase both of these movies officially on blu ray to enjoy my first experience watching them. (Ideally it would have been in theatres, but no local theatre was playing them).

My question is it is now April of 2018, and most of the world has already received a Koe no Katachi BD release - including but surely not solely limited to, the United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, & Thailand.

Unfortunately BD's are region locked, so its not so simple as buying the UK BD release (or i would have done that months ago).

What's most shocking is the completely void of news even pertaining to a US BD release - and considering the international acclaim and success of this movie, it truly is baffling. Has anyone picked up a licence for this film yet? Is there literally any news pertaining to if/when the US will received a BD release?

It's probably the same reason that it always is; because Japan and the US are the same Blu-ray region. The Japanese are worried their citizens might do the smart thing and import the US release and instead of paying Japanese highway robbery pricing. (In the US a BD is around $20 or cheaper whereas in Japan the average price is the Yen equilivent of around $60-70) Thus one of the common contract stipulations when a US company licenses something is that they have wait a year or more before releasing it to force as many Japanese fans as possible to buy the Japanese discs instead.
KruszerApr 13, 2018 6:22 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 13, 2018 6:39 PM

Dec 2017
There's an A/1(works in the US) Chinese version with Japanese voice/English subs from what I see on Amazon.

If you want a dubbed version/US version then you're out of luck for the time being.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Apr 13, 2018 6:55 PM

Nov 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Katachi-Silent-Voice-Blu-ray-Limited/dp/B01NC02ASR have a look on this
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Apr 15, 2018 3:43 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Nov 20, 2018 11:51 AM
Jan 2016
This movie was so popular, I'm kind of shocked that I can't find anywhere to buy OR stream it. (And I have friends or siblings with accounts to just about everwhere-- Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll... How did it get this talked about and just not seem to be anywhere?!) Like, I usually try to do things the legal way whenever possible, but I need this one for the Recommendations challenge I'm working on, and I may have to break on this one.
(And people wonder why pirating is such a problem in the anime industry.)
Nov 21, 2018 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
The only one i know is konichiwa festival (latin america) (spanish sub and dub) but it only ships with fedex and im not testing my luck
Nov 22, 2018 11:23 AM

May 2017
Still no release date?
Nov 22, 2018 11:26 AM

May 2017
Duckielover151 said:
This movie was so popular, I'm kind of shocked that I can't find anywhere to buy OR stream it. (And I have friends or siblings with accounts to just about everwhere-- Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll... How did it get this talked about and just not seem to be anywhere?!) Like, I usually try to do things the legal way whenever possible, but I need this one for the Recommendations challenge I'm working on, and I may have to break on this one.
(And people wonder why pirating is such a problem in the anime industry.)

I've never seen such a popular anime film mired in such licensing crap as this.
Jan 29, 2019 8:40 PM

Oct 2010
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-01-29/a-silent-voice-film-ships-on-bd-dvd-in-n-america-on-april-2/.142475

It's basic only, no Collector's Edition. In the article comment thread, user Primus writes, "Shout! Factory is handling the general retail releases of Eleven Arts' library. Nozomi is supposed to be responsible for CE variants. This announcement was just from Shout!, so there might be a CE on the way." https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5097181#5097181

I just saw the movie for the first time at the theater last night. :P Not many there, but it was fun to hear the women going "awww" at various points.
Jan 29, 2019 8:49 PM

May 2010
nDroae said:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-01-29/a-silent-voice-film-ships-on-bd-dvd-in-n-america-on-april-2/.142475

It's basic only, no Collector's Edition. In the article comment thread, user Primus writes, "Shout! Factory is handling the general retail releases of Eleven Arts' library. Nozomi is supposed to be responsible for CE variants. This announcement was just from Shout!, so there might be a CE on the way." https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5097181#5097181

I just saw the movie for the first time at the theater last night. :P Not many there, but it was fun to hear the women going "awww" at various points.

Damn, only 32 months after its release date, smfh.

Anyway thanks for the info. Ill probably purchase it when it finally releases in America.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 8, 2019 1:15 AM
Oct 2016
What took so long? UK got it long ago, but US gets it now?

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.