Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 26, 2019 2:14 AM

Jan 2017
JoyBoy_316 said:
Another one of these threads hating on something because it's somewhat popular, I was actually expecting it a bit earlier
Also if this is the first time you encounter a race that age differently from humans then you need to watch more staff I guess

Could also be because the show is awful? :/
REVIVE MECHA
Jan 26, 2019 2:20 AM

Nov 2016
ACornelis said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
Another one of these threads hating on something because it's somewhat popular, I was actually expecting it a bit earlier
Also if this is the first time you encounter a race that age differently from humans then you need to watch more staff I guess

Could also be because the show is awful? :/

You're entitled to your own opignion my good sir, I guess I could've just leave it at that if our dear OP had given us better reasons instead of him missing the loli
Jan 26, 2019 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
I am pretty sure that most people hated seeing her in the first few EP's, no idea whats wrong with having the Store dude and the people in the town that are disconnected from the rumors not hate her, demi humans grow when they lvl up in this world, the red haired girl which accused him is the kings daugther, do you really think people will not just follow in line with that the king did ? Just think about that stuff for a few secs, this anime is set in medival times. If it annoyed you that the zombies go "afk" in a fight u better avoid most series, because its always retarded when characters start their monologue in a battle, but thats the only point that makes sense from what we have seen in the first 3 episodes, but u will be watching until the end so you can continue to hate on it for the sake of hating on it.
Btw rating goblin slayer 8, which has far worse writing and non existent charater personalitys + plot LOL, so yea just another hate thread.
removed-userJan 26, 2019 2:59 AM
Jan 26, 2019 3:45 AM

Jan 2019
There is not much point in this thread anymore, we have people who like it and people who don't.

Personally, i think SAO has better writing. It might be a Harem but the Characters aren't annoying and the plot proceeds, things actually happen!
i rated both Tate no Yuusha and Goblin Slayer with a 6, but thats just me.
My Opinion on Tate no Yuusha:

Pros+:
Setting/Abilities, Concept of Shield as a Weapon is Unique
Characters of Naofumi and his Companions are decent
Art and Animation is great.
Sound is decent.

Cons-:
Absolutely Unoriginal Story (lets save the world by tower defense(fight waves of enemies))
Illogical/Moronic people/side characters like the 3 heroes, the king, and 95% of the population(although so far the heroes are better than in the manga where they do not even realize they are from different Japanese Worlds and proceed to act in an incredibly moronic way) - this is just incredibly aggravating to read/watch

Now, the Characters are the most important aspect to me for a story, followed by the Story/Plot and then the other Stuff Animation,Setting,Sound.
Therefore the Anime is "fine" for me, but i certainly wouldn't rate it "Very Good" to "Great", so personally since its overrated in my opinion, i can understand why people hate on it. But i also get why people love it, it has some great Aspects, and i consider it so far better than the Manga due to small changes they have made.
Jan 26, 2019 4:49 AM

Nov 2016
Ariavartan said:
I must say- the show is full of plot holes. Two big ones I can't even pretend to not exist

-The whole Naofumi not being able to use any other weapon is a pretty giant one considering we have seen many times using stuff that can be used offensively, like the pickass in 2 and maze in 3. What does it really mean by not being able to wield any other weapon? That he can't wield it while intenting it to be used for killng? Or just any weapon that can be used offensively?
-I spoilered myself and got to know how she grew however that leads to another plot hole-how did her parents who must be at very high level lose against a dog when she was shown to mow down entire armies her self? Can demi humans grow up normally without leveling too?

You're making a good point I haven't read the manga but I want to ask you something, it is said there that she grew up this quickly because she leveled up but was it also mentioned that a demihuman is never going to grow up if it doesn't level up? For naofumi's use of other weapons yes that looks like a plothole but there is a big difference between using a weapon to defend yourself and mastering it to kill monster and also the shield is on naofumi's right arm which we can assume is his dominant one and if you've ever watched game of thrones you'd know that it is basically impossible even for one of the greatest swordman in the kingdom to master a sword with his weaker arm. Of course naofumi can try to use the sword with his right arm but why would he leave the protection that the shield give him to get some kills when he has someone who can do that for him.
Jan 26, 2019 5:14 AM

Aug 2016
Raphtalia growing up fast made the show better, lolis are trash
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 26, 2019 5:35 AM

Aug 2017
Kamiyan3991 said:
OK, so far we had 3 eps and that amount of bullshit/terrible writing deserves its own thread, no kidding. I'm lazy so I'll only post some bs from episode 3, spoiler ahead.

I've posted some examples only from episode 3. This writing actually doesn't make sense from the beginning.
TBH, I'm almost impressed by all of this. I never thought you could write so bad and get away with it. I mean, this is apparently #1 show this season.

Update!
I've posted some quote that appears to be on point.

Ariavartan said:
I must say- the show is full of plot holes. Two big ones I can't even pretend to not exist
-The whole Naofumi not being able to use any other weapon is a pretty giant one considering we have seen many times using stuff that can be used offensively, like the pickass in 2 and maze in 3. What does it really mean by not being able to wield any other weapon? That he can't wield it while intenting it to be used for killng? Or just any weapon that can be used offensively?
-I spoilered myself and got to know how she grew however that leads to another plot hole-how did her parents who must be at very high level lose against a dog when she was shown to mow down entire armies her self? Can demi humans grow up normally without leveling too?

Your thoughts?
to Ariavartan's 1st plot hole: It's the shields ability I guess.
Kamiyan:
1) physical changes affects peoples behaviours.
2) You are right about this.
3)Idk I guess It's like a spawn system in games.
4) It happens rare. But It's bit exageratted bullying IRL.
5) anime logic. You are right.
6) anime logic. You are right.
Ignoramus-Jan 26, 2019 5:42 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 26, 2019 7:15 AM

Apr 2007
JoyBoy_316 said:
Ariavartan said:

You're making a good point I haven't read the manga but I want to ask you something, it is said there that she grew up this quickly because she leveled up but was it also mentioned that a demihuman is never going to grow up if it doesn't level up? For naofumi's use of other weapons yes that looks like a plothole but there is a big difference between using a weapon to defend yourself and mastering it to kill monster and also the shield is on naofumi's right arm which we can assume is his dominant one and if you've ever watched game of thrones you'd know that it is basically impossible even for one of the greatest swordman in the kingdom to master a sword with his weaker arm. Of course naofumi can try to use the sword with his right arm but why would he leave the protection that the shield give him to get some kills when he has someone who can do that for him.

Raphtalia says specifically that when demi-humans are younger they will age up to match their level. They still age normally though if they never gain any levels. How do you think Raphtalia looks like a 10 year old when she was level 1 at the start of the series.

The whole pickaxe thing...Is easy to explain considering while you really die if you're killed, the anime still has game mechanics. A pickaxe is used to mine. Most games have a special slot for mining tools and those can not be used for battle...Because you can't equip them into your weapon slot.

Jan 26, 2019 8:01 AM
Nov 2016
Demyx_IX said:
1. The show should explain why Raphtalia turns into a teenager in the span of a week.

2. There's no law in that country that states that everyone has to be mean/bully demihumans. There are decent people who treat her kindly, see; weapon/armorsmith bro.

3. Eh, it makes fairly decent sense to me, that a giant magical hourglass that's able to accurately tell how much time between each wave takes place, would be able to teleport the heroes and co. close to where the wave will spawn.

4. This is really the only valid complaint that I can't explain, other than the possibility of her claiming to no longer being afraid of him.

5. Yeah, the animation was a bit bad when it came down to the fight.

5A. You do realize that Naofumi is literally the most hated man in the country at that point, and he is accompanied by a demihuman. And the captain is depicted as being just as prejudice towards demihumans as he is towards Naofumi.

The series ain't even over yet, it's just started. Of course there would be plot holes.
Jan 26, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
sarath2002 said:
Demyx_IX said:
1. The show should explain why Raphtalia turns into a teenager in the span of a week.

2. There's no law in that country that states that everyone has to be mean/bully demihumans. There are decent people who treat her kindly, see; weapon/armorsmith bro.

3. Eh, it makes fairly decent sense to me, that a giant magical hourglass that's able to accurately tell how much time between each wave takes place, would be able to teleport the heroes and co. close to where the wave will spawn.

4. This is really the only valid complaint that I can't explain, other than the possibility of her claiming to no longer being afraid of him.

5. Yeah, the animation was a bit bad when it came down to the fight.

5A. You do realize that Naofumi is literally the most hated man in the country at that point, and he is accompanied by a demihuman. And the captain is depicted as being just as prejudice towards demihumans as he is towards Naofumi.

The series ain't even over yet, it's just started. Of course there would be plot holes.
I have no idea why you're quoting this post instead of one of the posts from people complaining about plot holes.
Jan 26, 2019 9:16 AM

Nov 2016
Killuan said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

Raphtalia says specifically that when demi-humans are younger they will age up to match their level. They still age normally though if they never gain any levels. How do you think Raphtalia looks like a 10 year old when she was level 1 at the start of the series.

The whole pickaxe thing...Is easy to explain considering while you really die if you're killed, the anime still has game mechanics. A pickaxe is used to mine. Most games have a special slot for mining tools and those can not be used for battle...Because you can't equip them into your weapon slot.

Thank you for the reply
So that basically means that raphtalia's parents could still grew into adulthood but still be level 1 so no plothole there. For the thing with the pickaxe I'm not really well verse in that part of gaming so I wouldn't know which I feel is the case for most of the people in this thread. I mean you've got OP over there complaining about a fast travel engine and call it unrealistic or "too convenient" in a world with skill trees and where characters collect items or kill monsters to level up. I'm officially done with this thread, have a nice day.
JoyBoy_316Jan 26, 2019 9:27 AM
Jan 26, 2019 9:39 AM

Oct 2015
I don't mind the rules they established in the show, let it be, it's really not something I can call a plot hole just because the author wants x to happen but one thing that bugged me is how badly they presented emotions into the anime. Like how they did Rapthalia's past, it seemed like they just wanted to dump the backstory and continue on which imo was a pretty bad thing to do. The backstory was basically useless other than to try to get a reaction from its viewers
Jan 26, 2019 9:58 AM
Sep 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
OK, so far we had 3 eps and that amount of bullshit/terrible writing deserves its own thread, no kidding. I'm lazy so I'll only post some bs from episode 3, spoiler ahead.

I've posted some examples only from episode 3. This writing actually doesn't make sense from the beginning.
TBH, I'm almost impressed by all of this. I never thought you could write so bad and get away with it. I mean, this is apparently #1 show this season.

Update!

Ariavartan said:

Your thoughts?
welcome to isekai
Jan 26, 2019 10:48 AM

Oct 2014
You're mostly right, but despite all its flaws I'd say it's still a pretty entertaining anime. It does not deserve to be anywhere near the top of this season's animes, but as far as some things go at least, it's not utter shit ^^
Jan 26, 2019 1:05 PM

Dec 2016
EGOIST said:
I don't mind the rules they established in the show, let it be, it's really not something I can call a plot hole just because the author wants x to happen but one thing that bugged me is how badly they presented emotions into the anime. Like how they did Rapthalia's past, it seemed like they just wanted to dump the backstory and continue on which imo was a pretty bad thing to do. The backstory was basically useless other than to try to get a reaction from its viewers

Good point. Backstory as a crutch for character development is all too common. This show isn't too bad in this regard, but this example of backstory use is still formulaic. The whole "parents died" as a character motivation is not exactly a hallmark of originality or creative depth.

Aniteku said:
Saying you dont like the anime and explain why is one thing but calling it wrost writing ever seen when clearly theres a huge fanbase behind it is just asking for a fight. For me this post is just so people who dislike this anime can bond really. And most this negativity is just becouse this anime is getting more attettion then any other shows of this season.

Sorry, but that is disingenuous. While the OP didn't dot he best job explaining their point of view, they did give examples of what they considered bad writing in the show as a basis for discussion. Also, while there has been plenty of constructive criticism of recent popular shows such as Darling in the Franxx and Goblin Slayer, I have invariably seen any kind of criticism met with the typical "haters gonna hate", "don't watch it if you don't like it", etc.

Not accusing you in particular of this, but in general it's a pattern I've noticed. It's like people take it personally when something they like is criticized. And instead of doing the mature thing and not engaging or making a reasonable counterargument, instead it's tantrums and whining.
Jan 26, 2019 1:12 PM

Jan 2015
Kamiyan3991 said:

Update!

Ariavartan said:

Your thoughts?

finally someone with common sense, who doesn't overhype this pile of garbage

thats my only thought
Jan 26, 2019 1:41 PM

May 2009
AnimeSucks420 said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Update!

Your thoughts?

thats my only thought

That's rich coming from someone who rated SAOs 10 and TGree2 7/10
Jan 26, 2019 1:51 PM

Apr 2007
bastek66 said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

Well apparently he's watch 10 episodes of Tate no Yuusha so he would know better than us about how bad it is.

Needless to say, you can't take someone with that kind of username seriously. Intentional baiting if I ever saw it.
Jan 26, 2019 2:21 PM

Sep 2018
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

Way to show your confirmation bias...
Jan 26, 2019 2:28 PM
Nov 2018
midwiferuler said:
Killuan said:

That's not how it works. She's similar to a monster. With levels she grows to match her ability. Once she peaks in physical maturity she will stop growing.

1.) It's been more like two weeks, and next episode literally explains why she grows so much over that span. Raphtalia wasn't always a slave. What you see now is Raphtalias true personality after Naofumi spent time rehabilitating her. She's more outspoken because she trusts him to that degree. She can be herself around him. One of the main reasons she was so docile in the first two episodes was because her previous masters would beat her if she ever seemed happy or if she spoke out about anything. Naofumi would never do that to her, so she feels comfortable being herself. She still has moments of weakness as can be seen by the end of this episode where she cries, so her trauma is still there; she can just better cope with it now because Naofumi is there to support her.

2.) Just because a country treats demi-humans like shit, it doesn't mean everyone has that same level of prejudice against them. The hammer smith was always nice to her and we don't know the specifics about the other people. They think she's a really cute girl who seems nice. Obviously the ones without a distinct bias against demi-humans will give her preferential treatment. Also prejudice is a preconceived opinion about someone. Once people truly got to know Raphtalia, they would have little reason to hate her. Both Malty and the guards reminded us that demi-humans have a low standing in Meltromarc based on how they acted around her, but it doesn't stop the civilians from having a different opinion after spending some quality time around her.

3.) It's an isekai who cares how the heroes got from point A to point B. The premise is different and it's good enough to start the journey. Much of this anime is a revenge story, and that's different from your typical Isekai. Also giving the main character a shield who is unable to use other weapons is a pretty cool concept that hasn't been used before from my recollection.

4.) She trusts him, why not? Also she was abused by previous masters, it doesn't make her a rape victim. Another thing to remember is with physical growth comes enhanced cognitive ability. She's still has the experience of a 10 year old, but she has the brain of an adult.

5.) This is really the only thing I can agree with. As for the knights, you will have to wait and see for that.

5a.) That said, I love the series and think it's a faithful adaptation that deserves its current score.

is she gonna change again? (yeah I want some spoiler pls pls pls)

That was a great explanation, everything has some kind of sense in the explanation you gave and i think that the first commenter will be happy to know of someone that gives valid arguments. Only one thibg is incorrect and it is that point 4(he wasn't talking about raphtalia he was talking about Malty). Also one more thing: what do you think about the use of slaves in the story because if i have a problem with this series is that and that only.
Jan 26, 2019 2:35 PM
Nov 2018
NthDegree said:
Just a LN reader popping in here to remind that just because something "gets explained" doesn't mean it's not total BS.

I agree with the OP.

Did serial experiment lain explained every thing within the first three episodes(asking honestly because i haven't watched it yet)?, does an anime needs to explain everything within the first three episodes and if not it's bs?, heck even FMA:B had a lot of plot holes(if we take things that weren't explained in the first few episodes and even after that) and that doesn't deny anything from it.
Jan 26, 2019 2:55 PM

Jan 2015
bastek66 said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

ttgl in favs, yeah cool, your opinion is invalid
Jan 26, 2019 2:56 PM

Jan 2015
VeryLTTP said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

way to have a garbage taste
Jan 26, 2019 3:00 PM

Apr 2007
LiedElfen said:
midwiferuler said:
is she gonna change again? (yeah I want some spoiler pls pls pls)

That was a great explanation, everything has some kind of sense in the explanation you gave and i think that the first commenter will be happy to know of someone that gives valid arguments. Only one thibg is incorrect and it is that point 4(he wasn't talking about raphtalia he was talking about Malty). Also one more thing: what do you think about the use of slaves in the story because if i have a problem with this series is that and that only.

Thanks, and yeah I guess I misunderstood that part. It was sortof implied that Raphtalia was raped(she wasn't) and because of her sassy demeanor in episode three I thought he was talking about her.

I am against slavery. However, I had a long-winded debate in favor of Raphtalias relationship with Naofumi because of how it was conveyed and how meaningful/crucial it was for the both of them to meet eachother. Raphtalia had a whole host of problems that could only be remedied by a good master. As Naofumi said, this country is rotten. Conversely, Naofumi needed someone like Raphtalia in his life, and they will have an unbreakable bond throughout the series. It just needs time.

I couldn't change his mind, but maybe it would be insightful for you.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1762016&show=250#msg56758046

It continues for a bit but it gets my point across.

However, while i'm against slavery I don't see a problem with using it in fiction. Slavery has existed(still exists in some parts of the world) and in a medieval RPG setting it's highly likely that demi-humans would be enslaved out of fear or a tactic to dominate them into submission. Humankind has committed atrocities throughout all points in history. There isn't any sense in whitewashing that by leaving out the rotten aspects of humanity..
KilluanJan 26, 2019 3:15 PM
Jan 26, 2019 3:13 PM
Apr 2012
LiedElfen said:
NthDegree said:
Just a LN reader popping in here to remind that just because something "gets explained" doesn't mean it's not total BS.

I agree with the OP.

Did serial experiment lain explained every thing within the first three episodes(asking honestly because i haven't watched it yet)?, does an anime needs to explain everything within the first three episodes and if not it's bs?, heck even FMA:B had a lot of plot holes(if we take things that weren't explained in the first few episodes and even after that) and that doesn't deny anything from it.

This guy understands.

Even if it wasn't explained. It doesn't really reduce the quality because everything doesn't need to be explained.

Can you imagine the info dump FMA would've been if they fully explained how Ed figured out the transmutation to bind Al's Soul at the age of like 10 or how he randomly decides when truth is available for a meeting. It would've been also very annoying because 95% of the time, explaining fantasy concepts with logic just ends up flawed exceptionally convenient which pisses people off more than just a plot hole or two. (Although I'll admit they really could've used that no weapons shield hero rule ) Example of this was last seasons Bunny girl,. Every time the tried to explain it, You shake your head because that's not how quantum physics works.
HeartyaceJan 26, 2019 3:19 PM
Jan 26, 2019 3:14 PM
Nov 2018
Killuan said:
LiedElfen said:

Thanks, and yeah I guess I misunderstood that part. It was sortof implied that Raphtalia was raped(she wasn't) and beause of her sassy demeanor in episode three I thought he was talking about her.

I am against slavery. However, I had a long-winded debate in favor Raphtalias relationship with Naofumi because of how it was conveyed and how meaningful/crucial it was for the both of them to meet eachother. Raphtalia had a whole host of problems that could only be remedied by a good master. As Naofumi said, this country is rotten. Conversely, Naofumi needed someone like Raphtalia in his life, and they will have an unbreakable bond throughout the series. It just needs time.

I did read the discussion you had and both had good points, it wasn't possible to change the mind of someone that is against slavery such as himself, myself...
He had a point that basically seal the deal for me and is this: if he was really a honest man, he would have freed raphtalia and asked her if she wants to join him and form a party with him. You responded well but didn't had enough force to beat his point since it was a honest point because why didn't naofumi freed her and formed a party with her. When she disobeys she gets punished!, he also saod that if a guy beats his partner he would say: "you know the pgsty i took her from" and that isn't an excuse and doesn't justify him. I also do think that naofumi is a honest guy and has behaved as a good boy but that doesn't excuse him from supporting slavery. Also it's true that the setting of the series is in something like a medieval era with a ningdom and everything, the thing is that just because it is a different age it was okay to do since even in that setting there are people that think the use of that type of contract isn't correct.

Have you read the manga?, if so you know that it isn't something lf just the two of them. Tell me if you've read the manga since i think we could continue this discussion in pm.
LiedElfenJan 26, 2019 3:18 PM
Jan 26, 2019 3:22 PM

Sep 2018
AnimeSucks420 said:
VeryLTTP said:

Way to be an NPC... Looks like you need a "Being able to formulate an argument" patch...
Jan 26, 2019 3:22 PM

Nov 2011
AnimeSucks420 said:
VeryLTTP said:

If you're not going to bother writing out a well thought out comment saying why you think it's 'garbage', then you shouldn't bother writing anything when people call you out for it.
Also your signature is the embodiment for how little thought you've put into the show if you think that it's a 'typical harem isekai' with a 'typical self-insert MC'. 3 episodes in and the MC does not have a harem, and that won't be changing for close to the entire running of the show, nor is he a; 'stupidly op MC with no personality'.
bastek66 said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

VeryLTTP said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

thats my only thought

Killuan said:
bastek66 said:

Well apparently he's watch 10 episodes of Tate no Yuusha so he would know better than us about how bad it is.

Needless to say, you can't take someone with that kind of username seriously. Intentional baiting if I ever saw it.

Don't feed the troll
Demyx_IXJan 26, 2019 4:16 PM
Jan 26, 2019 3:23 PM

Apr 2007
LiedElfen said:
Killuan said:

Thanks, and yeah I guess I misunderstood that part. It was sortof implied that Raphtalia was raped(she wasn't) and beause of her sassy demeanor in episode three I thought he was talking about her.

I am against slavery. However, I had a long-winded debate in favor Raphtalias relationship with Naofumi because of how it was conveyed and how meaningful/crucial it was for the both of them to meet eachother. Raphtalia had a whole host of problems that could only be remedied by a good master. As Naofumi said, this country is rotten. Conversely, Naofumi needed someone like Raphtalia in his life, and they will have an unbreakable bond throughout the series. It just needs time.

I did read the discussion you had and both had good points, it wasn't possible to change the mind of someone that is against slavery such as himself, myself...
He had a point that basically seal the deal for me and is this: if he was really a honest man, he would have freed raphtalia and asked her if she wants to join him and form a party with him. You responded well but didn't had enough force to beat his point since it was a honest point because why didn't naofumi freed her and formed a party with her. When she disobeys she gets punished!, he also saod that if a guy beats his partner he would say: "you know the pgsty i took her from" and that isn't an excuse and doesn't justify him. I also do think that naofumi is a honest guy and has behaved as a good boy but that doesn't excuse him from supporting slavery.

Have you read the manga?, if so you know that it isn't something lf just the two of them. Tell me if you've read the manga since i think we could continue this discussion in pm.

Freeing her would have been a bad idea...For reasons I can't say(spoilers) -- As I told him, the ideal scenario would be to have her join his party of her own free will...and carry out tasks of her own free will. The problem I have with that mindset is that Raphtalia clearly had a trauma(she's just a child to boot). Every battle could have ended horribly if Raphtalia could not bring herself to fight. Once She was over the trauma, Naofumi stopped using it. He had no pleasure in using it, but to him it was a necessity. There was an impending wave coming and he needed levels. He took the proactive approach with the highest percentage of success. Every battle fought Naofumi is the one who put himself into the greatest risk to ensure that nothing bad happened to Raphtalia.

I can definitely see why hurting a child is a taboo, but I also believe that things aren't so black and white. The good far outweighs the bad. Naofumi did some shitty things to Raphtalia, but Raphtalia still remains appreciative because he was her literal savior.

I've read parts of the manga. And parts of the LN/Web Novel. There are parts I haven't gotten around to reading though, and probably won't because I don't want to spoiler myself anymore than I already have.

KilluanJan 26, 2019 3:27 PM
Jan 26, 2019 3:28 PM
Nov 2018
Killuan said:
LiedElfen said:

He had a point that basically seal the deal for me and is this: if he was really a honest man, he would have freed raphtalia and asked her if she wants to join him and form a party with him. You responded well but didn't had enough force to beat his point since it was a honest point because why didn't naofumi freed her and formed a party with her. When she disobeys she gets punished!, he also saod that if a guy beats his partner he would say: "you know the pgsty i took her from" and that isn't an excuse and doesn't justify him. I also do think that naofumi is a honest guy and has behaved as a good boy but that doesn't excuse him from supporting slavery.

Freeing her would have been a bad idea...For reasons I can't say(spoilers) -- As I told him, the ideal scenario would be to have her join his party of her own free will...and carry out tasks of her own free will. The problem I have with that mindset is that Raphtalia clearly had a trauma. Every battle could have ended horribly if Raphtalia could not bring herself to fight. Once She was over the trauma, Naofumi stopped using it. He had no pleasure in using it, but to him it was a necessity. There was an impending wave coming and he needed levels. He took the proactive approach with the highest percentage of success.

I can definitely see why hurting a child is a taboo, but I also believe that things aren't so clack and white. The good far outweighs the bad. Naofumi did some shitty things to Raphtalia, but Raphtalia still reminds appreciative because he was her literal savior.

I've read parts of the manga. And parts of the LN/Web Novel. There are parts I haven't gotten around to reading though, and probably won't because I don't want to spoiler myself anymore than I already have.

I can see why you think it could've been a not so good idea(never a bad one) and that's actually a good point, i've catch up to the manga and it definitely is a good read, definitely recommended. Haven't read the ln/wn yet though. It's fine, that's why i asked you if you had read the manga(until most recent chapter).
Jan 26, 2019 3:36 PM

Apr 2007
LiedElfen said:
Killuan said:

Freeing her would have been a bad idea...For reasons I can't say(spoilers) -- As I told him, the ideal scenario would be to have her join his party of her own free will...and carry out tasks of her own free will. The problem I have with that mindset is that Raphtalia clearly had a trauma. Every battle could have ended horribly if Raphtalia could not bring herself to fight. Once She was over the trauma, Naofumi stopped using it. He had no pleasure in using it, but to him it was a necessity. There was an impending wave coming and he needed levels. He took the proactive approach with the highest percentage of success.

I can definitely see why hurting a child is a taboo, but I also believe that things aren't so clack and white. The good far outweighs the bad. Naofumi did some shitty things to Raphtalia, but Raphtalia still reminds appreciative because he was her literal savior.

I can see why you think it could've been a not so good idea(never a bad one) and that's actually a good point, i've catch up to the manga and it definitely is a good read, definitely recommended. Haven't read the ln/wn yet though. It's fine, that's why i asked you if you had read the manga(until most recent chapter).

Jan 26, 2019 3:40 PM
Nov 2018
Killuan said:
LiedElfen said:

That wasn't said in the manga(at least as of yet but if it is said it will be talked about in the manga) but i think they're different because one is part human and the other isn't so couldn't really see theat happening.
Jan 26, 2019 3:44 PM

Apr 2007
LiedElfen said:
Killuan said:

That wasn't said in the manga(at least as of yet but if it is said it will be talked about in the manga) but i think they're different because one is part human and the other isn't so couldn't really see theat happening.

It's from chapter 76-80 if you're interested.
Jan 26, 2019 3:47 PM
Nov 2018
Killuan said:
LiedElfen said:

Yes the ln is the original soirce in this case, maybe it haven' t reached the point in which that was said yet. Also there are regions that specially care for demihumans treating them with more charm and familiarity. Can i send you a FR?, i think we could have some great discussions as we are able to share interesting viewpoints.
Jan 26, 2019 3:50 PM

Apr 2007
LiedElfen said:
Killuan said:

Yes the ln is the original soirce in this case, maybe it haven' t reached the point in which that was said yet. Also there are regions that specially care for demihumans treating them with more charm and familiarity. Can i send you a FR?, i think we could have some great discussions as we are able to share interesting viewpoints.

Yeah that's true, Naofumi was just not in any position to do that for her at the time...and really without her he would be boned since he used the last bit of his money to purchase her and he can't fight by himself.

Sure, send away.
Jan 26, 2019 4:29 PM
Jan 2019
Any literature or show that uses rape as a plot point is not worth watching. My blood is boiling. Somehow the writers want us to sympathize with a character who has been fasley accused of rape? Fucked up.
Jan 26, 2019 5:02 PM

Nov 2011
Spooky_shake said:
Any literature or show that uses rape as a plot point is not worth watching. My blood is boiling. Somehow the writers want us to sympathize with a character who has been fasley accused of rape? Fucked up.

I'm assuming that you didn't even watch the show given that you're hung up on this and nothing else. The author isn't saying that all women are liars that will look to screw over a man by falsely accusing them of rape. He's saying that in this one, single case, it happened.

And there have been celebrities that have been falsely accused of raping someone, one in most recent memory is Drake. In his case he ended up filing a lawsuit against the woman for; "civil extortion, fraud, defamation, abuse of process and intentional infliction of emotional distress."

So it's not unheard of, for a woman to falsely accuse someone of raping them. And unfortunately for the MC, he doesn't have the money/power to sue the woman that accused him of rape.
Jan 26, 2019 5:25 PM

May 2018
Spooky_shake said:

Quite the opposite, anyone who has the balls to use rape as a plot device has my respect. Also, it triggers the snowflakes, which is very entertaining to watch.
Jan 26, 2019 6:08 PM

Oct 2015
BlazeSolo said:
These new discussion forums are so stupid lately

Can't we enjoy anime without someone just complaining and making a whole forum out of it? I mean seriously? God forbid someone liking an anime series you don't like. We all have series we like and dislike.
the forum won't exist if everyone just keeps sucking everyone's dick. people here just get too emotional over an opinion opposite to theirs
Jan 26, 2019 6:37 PM

Apr 2007
EGOIST said:
BlazeSolo said:

Can't we enjoy anime without someone just complaining and making a whole forum out of it? I mean seriously? God forbid someone liking an anime series you don't like. We all have series we like and dislike.
the forum won't exist if everyone just keeps sucking everyone's dick. people here just get too emotional over an opinion opposite to theirs

At the very least, bait threads like these just provide a toxic environment for all parties involved. Even if those are op's true feelings about the series he should be mindful of his wording. And it's not like he put effort into debating with the other posters. He just wanted to shit on a popular anime which he didn't enjoy. I'm pretty certain these types of threads are against forum rules in the first place.
Jan 26, 2019 6:45 PM
Sep 2018
Dont agree with anything you say but your 5th point.
Jan 26, 2019 7:34 PM
Aug 2018
I actually love the first 3 episodes, Can't wait for the next ones.
Jan 26, 2019 8:09 PM
Jan 2012
I think a lot of people are missing the point. Raphtalia aging that fast is explainable, but that doesn't excuse it from being shoddily written in. It's like the writer made her a little girl for that bitter sadness the viewers would feel when seeing her situation, but then realized they would have a harder time making the main girl a loli and be a love interest at the same time so they half-assedly made her grow older.

I don't hate this show, I read the manga a little bit and kinda enjoyed it, at least I did compared to it's modern contemporaries, but enjoyable and well-written are two different things.

Also, the "rape victim". It's believable that her high stature would lead many to side with her and against the Shield hero, especially with the stigma against the Shield hero title. What baffles me is how almost EVERYONE, save for like a few people, unquestionably believe it. It could have easily been implied that some people didn't actually believe her, but still sided with her due to said stigma against the Shield hero, but instead we just get the impression that almost everyone is sheep.

The author clearly had an idea, that being an Isekai where the main character isn't a power fantasy and just gets hammered by this awful society he's put in, and kudos to them for attempting something new. It's still amateurish when the main idea is so focused on that other ideas like the demihuman racism get completely disregarded. One different idea does not suddenly make an entire manga or anime great, the fine details need to be paid attention to, and there needs to be consistency. You can't introduce ideas that have gravitas, but then toss them aside when they get stale. Right now, Rising of the Shield Hero only has the main character's struggles, and his unusual power as the only selling points.

The series is fine, but that's all it really is.
Jan 26, 2019 8:27 PM

May 2018
OnionKnightRises said:
I think a lot of people are missing the point. Raphtalia aging that fast is explainable, but that doesn't excuse it from being shoddily written in. It's like the writer made her a little girl for that bitter sadness the viewers would feel when seeing her situation, but then realized they would have a harder time making the main girl a loli and be a love interest at the same time so they half-assedly made her grow older.

1) It would have been sad regardless of her age.
2) You are assuming she is a love interest
3) You are assuming making her age based of her level, which kinda makes sense in a world that works like MMORPG, wasn't intentional from the start.

Also, the "rape victim". It's believable that her high stature would lead many to side with her and against the Shield hero, especially with the stigma against the Shield hero title. What baffles me is how almost EVERYONE, save for like a few people, unquestionably believe it. It could have easily been implied that some people didn't actually believe her, but still sided with her due to said stigma against the Shield hero, but instead we just get the impression that almost everyone is sheep.

and the heroes are stereotypical idiots who believe the woman because we all know women can't lie.

The author clearly had an idea, that being an Isekai where the main character isn't a power fantasy and just gets hammered by this awful society he's put in, and kudos to them for attempting something new. It's still amateurish when the main idea is so focused on that other ideas like the demihuman racism get completely disregarded. One different idea does not suddenly make an entire manga or anime great, the fine details need to be paid attention to, and there needs to be consistency. You can't introduce ideas that have gravitas, but then toss them aside when they get stale.

Racism is one of themes of this series, it's not disregarded at all.
Jan 26, 2019 8:39 PM
Jan 2012
Only_Brad said:
OnionKnightRises said:

1) It would have been sad regardless of her age.
2) You are assuming she is a love interest
3) You are assuming making her age based of her level, which kinda makes sense in a world that works like MMORPG, wasn't intentional from the start.

and the heroes are stereotypical idiots who believe the woman because we all know women can't lie.

The author clearly had an idea, that being an Isekai where the main character isn't a power fantasy and just gets hammered by this awful society he's put in, and kudos to them for attempting something new. It's still amateurish when the main idea is so focused on that other ideas like the demihuman racism get completely disregarded. One different idea does not suddenly make an entire manga or anime great, the fine details need to be paid attention to, and there needs to be consistency. You can't introduce ideas that have gravitas, but then toss them aside when they get stale.

Racism is one of theme of this series, it's not disregarded at all.

...I'm not assuming she's a love interest. She is a love interest. Yes it would have been sad regardless of her age, but it was EXTRA sad because of it, which was my point, it felt artificial to have her as both a child and an adult. Also, I didn't mean it literally when I said that's the reason the author did it, that's why I started it with "it's like". It's still not a great explanation, and even something pre-planned can still be a shoddy idea. The higher the level the older she is? Why was it such a gigantic uptick in such a relatively short amount of time? Why was it even an idea in the first place? The author didn't need to make this a part of the series, it's such a weird little part of the setting that even if it made complete sense, doesn't add anything and just confounds instead.

Also I'm not talking about the people part of the false rape claims, I'm talking about everyone else. Did no one in the lower classes decide to doubt it at all? Like I said, I can understand a lot of people falling for it, what I don't understand is the tiny amount of pushback it ever got. There might actually be some off-screen, but we're forced to only assume that just to excuse it, which isn't the best way of writing a series. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Racism might not be disregarded completely, but it's definitely lost focus. This might be more spoiler territory though. It's a central theme towards Raphtalia, yet it's importance falls off.
Jan 26, 2019 8:50 PM

Jul 2015
as a LN reader...yikes if this is "Shit writing" then i don't want to see your idea of good writing :/
Jan 26, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2019
Graciaus said:
Stop watching then?

nicely said my man......nicely said ( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)
Jan 26, 2019 8:55 PM

May 2015
EGOIST said:
BlazeSolo said:

The people shitting on the shows get way more emotional than the fans do. I mean, they're the ones dedicating so much of their time to making bait threads.

Jan 26, 2019 9:13 PM

Apr 2007
OnionKnightRises said:

...I'm not assuming she's a love interest. She is a love interest. Yes it would have been sad regardless of her age, but it was EXTRA sad because of it, which was my point, it felt artificial to have her as both a child and an adult. Also, I didn't mean it literally when I said that's the reason the author did it, that's why I started it with "it's like". It's still not a great explanation, and even something pre-planned can still be a shoddy idea. The higher the level the older she is? Why was it such a gigantic uptick in such a relatively short amount of time? Why was it even an idea in the first place? The author didn't need to make this a part of the series, it's such a weird little part of the setting that even if it made complete sense, doesn't add anything and just confounds instead.

Also I'm not talking about the people part of the false rape claims, I'm talking about everyone else. Did no one in the lower classes decide to doubt it at all? Like I said, I can understand a lot of people falling for it, what I don't understand is the tiny amount of pushback it ever got. There might actually be some off-screen, but we're forced to only assume that just to excuse it, which isn't the best way of writing a series. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Racism might not be disregarded completely, but it's definitely lost focus. This might be more spoiler territory though. It's a central theme towards Raphtalia, yet it's importance falls off.

'love' has almost nothing to do with the theme of this anime. There is some unrequited love, but the mutual aspect just isn't there. Naofumi thinks of Raphtalia as his daughter. You'd have to go way deep into the LN before love becomes a factor. Particularly a certain event sparks Naofumi's outlook on his relationship with his companions.

Child Raphtalia exists because Naofumi could not cope with another lying adult female at the time(this is how he thinks of all women at the time). His motives would be sinister at best if he had one of them as a slave. This version of Raphtalia is who he needed. An innocent child who has suffered more than he has. He was able to empathize with her and think of her as more than just a slave to boss around. Likewise, Raphtalia would not have the same admiration for Naofumi if she were already an adult. She looks up to him, she admires him. This all stems from helping Raphtalia deal with her trauma and being more of a father figure in her mind. Afterall, she compared the thought of losing him to the same feelings she had when she lost her parents.

There was a high uptick relatively quickly because the anime doesn't want to meander too long before getting into the meat of the series. Dealing with the waves and Naofumis revenge. The other heroes are already twice his level. It's an mmo, it doesn't take very long to get lvl 25+. Two weeks is more than long enough to accomplish that. Needless to say, this little plot point doesn't seem like something that warrants criticism. It's a quirk of the series that does little to diminish the series quality as a whole.

The king and the queen accused him of rape, they found her clothes on his bed...The common people wouldn't dare to doubt the claims of royalty and opt to side with a stranger from another world who appeared to be a 4th wheel from the very start. The blacksmith actually took the time to get to know Naofumi and that's why he decided that he isn't like how people portray him. But Naofumi is pissed, incredibly so. He threatens everyone with those balloon monsters and he's walking around with a demi-human slave in a place that's prejudice against them. He obviously hasn't been giving the general population a good impression of him...And frankly at this point, he doesn't even care. Episode three proves however that good deeds do pay off. The villagers of that town are certainly thankful towards him and I'm certain at least they think he is innocent.
KilluanJan 26, 2019 9:25 PM
Jan 26, 2019 9:20 PM

Sep 2017
I've played at least one MMORPG where I can't use other classes' weapons and all can use pickaxes to mine.
filthy casuals can't see the gamification
Signature
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2019

298 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2019

379 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2019

418 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2019

440 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.