Forums

Most of the current/old Anime will be forgotten/obsolete by 2030

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 3, 2018 11:27 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
hotsushikun said:

Yeah, but there is going to be quite fewer younger people in Japan due to low birth rate and aging society.

I feel like Japan will go extinct for sure:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/05/16/national/social-issues/japan-becoming-extinct/

thats a bigger problem than anime for sure

im just talking in general like all the young anime fans around the world like most of them do not like mecha shows

There are some people in Japan who likes stuff, but there is going to fewer to support and work in the anime industry in the that 2030s decade.
Oct 3, 2018 2:43 PM

Oct 2016
HippySnob said:
You do have a point OP.. but what if most year 80-70s other than 90-mid 2000s are the ones less obscure and yet to be forgotten

By the time.. year 2030

>Part 7
>Pluto
>Promare
>20th Century Boys (IMO)
>Yotsuba
>More Monogatari Franchise

Only most millennial series were left.. (Well that's just my example)
JJBA Steel Ball Run hype! I wonder if Hunter X Hunter would be done by then? I want to get into it but don't because it's always on hiatus.
Oct 3, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
I believe that many of those 25-30 year olds your were talking about grew up watching anime. Anime really only blew up in the 90's over here in the states. I think that many of these people will carry a life long passion for anime as well as many of the new anime fans coming in today. We are coming upon a time in which anime is gaining its first permanent residents of the hobby and I think that it will continue to do so(myself included hopefully). These people will continue to enjoy new shows and also keep the old shows alive. Basically what I'm saying is there will be some new fans that don't know the shows but there will be people from the current generation and the previous generation that will stick around for many more generations of fans and be able to show them these old shows.
Oct 3, 2018 2:52 PM

Sep 2018
I'd say you're partially correct. If the jump we've had from anime in the 60's is accurate in 30 years, anime will hopefully expand in style and story. I'd predict a later date for the 90's anime to become old, though. I don't think we have enough information on how anime from the earliest years is remembered, as most of the people who remember are aging in Japan at the moment. There's also the possibility of newer fans finding the older anime and carrying that memory forward.
Oct 3, 2018 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
There will be plenty of remakes of older anime in the future, so i have a feeling that older anime will not be as forgotten as you think it will be.
Oct 3, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2015
Stando_Master said:
I don't think we have enough information on how anime from the earliest years is remembered, as most of the people who remember are aging in Japan at the moment.

Wat

Met a coworker with a Rose of Versailles tattoo a while ago, she wasn't even an anime fan...

...Even normies here in France are more knowledgeable about the last 40 years of anime than the average MAL user >.>
Oct 3, 2018 8:44 PM

Mar 2017
How are you gonna forget about Joe? I gotta teach these whippasnappers some shit.
Oct 3, 2018 8:52 PM

Nov 2016
Anime is a very special genre.. i am 18,and i personally like the older animes way better that the current.. In the community specially if u don't watched the older stuff u are kinda like an outcast.. Masterpieces will never be forgotten.. they will always be part of the discussions.. so everybody will try out the gud stuff and will appreciate it of what it is.. in my opinion of course..
“𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔰 𝔦𝔱’𝔰 𝔫𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔫𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰.”

Oct 4, 2018 6:21 AM

Apr 2014
they will get remade into infinite versions. its already starting now. dororo has no other reason to come out with a new anime other than to preserve the old one with a new version that more people will know about. it doesn't have a long franchise like gundam or dbz, or an audience to pander new versions to like yamato. its really just an obscure anime/manga that just has tezuka's name on it. most people watching the new one won't know there is a 1969 anime that is readily available to watch. but that happens in all mediums. how many doctor who fans have watched the 1960's version, or i dare say it: star wars fans that did not watch the original trilogy? *shivers* same thing happened to disney and like every movie classic they created ever
Oct 4, 2018 6:27 AM

Mar 2018
Some will be forgotten, some will last more. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
And that's kind of how everything in the world works, people forget about older things and latch on to what's new. That's what's happening right now, even.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Oct 4, 2018 8:56 AM

May 2018
Before I join anime discussion in the internet, I have never heard of LoGH, Monster, Ashita no Joe, Utena,Rose of Versailles,Yamato IRL. And if I do hear it in the internet, it’s from old anime fan themselves. The only old anime I know of is Evangelion, Bebopand Rurouni Kenshin IRL.

Prepare to feel old: survey says over half of 20-somethings “don’t know Gundam”
https://soranews24.com/2014/06/29/prepare-to-feel-old-survey-says-over-half-of-20-somethings-dont-know-gundam/

Yup, old anime is dying and will be forgotten. No doubt about that. RIP old anime.

Cabron said:
deg said:

its dying lol

thats why there are new kids oriented Gundam shows this days like Gundam AGE and Gundam Build Fighters just to lure kids to be future fans of it but its failing though
Weird, they don't know Gundam yet it's the only franchise that's still making a shit ton of money?
Hmmm.

Gundam Seed Destiny (2004) = 68.9k avg sales
Kidou Senshi Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans Season 2 (2016) = 6.6k avg sales
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

It's definitely dying.
Papa_ScorchOct 4, 2018 4:19 PM
Oct 4, 2018 9:14 AM

Jul 2014
You know they're gonna keep on milking the pokemon franchise with some weirdass color names.
Oct 4, 2018 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, it's the same as movies or comics, the classics from that time are never going to be forgotten. Your worries are unfounded, especially because i can personally see very few anime made today ascending to the tier of "classic".
Oct 4, 2018 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Well, i'll never forget Hokuto No Ken. One of best Old Anime ever created.
Oct 4, 2018 10:22 PM

Aug 2018
I think you are neglecting an important distinction between what is popular and what is classically appreciated. Beyonce may have more fans today than does Beethoven but few would deny the latter's greater significance to music and greater artistic merit. Does havig fewer listeners make Beethoven obsolete? of course not, the popular masses have never had the capacity much less the authority to dictate the quality of the art they consume. If anything it just goes to show how meaningless popular trends are. There is constantly new "art" being produced to replace the old each quickly growing to enormously popularity but for the bulk of such works this is short lived and they are quickly forgotten and replaced by new media. But alongside these transient and disposable works there are a few which may continue to be appreciated if not by the greater masses than by a more critical and discriminating subset. In 200 years Beyonce will be all but forgotten but Beethovens work will live on. You tell me which is more important .
Oct 5, 2018 9:05 AM

May 2018
Gorochu said:

It's definitely dying.

Orphans was shit (Mari Okada sure loves her melodrama). Those low sales are well deserved.

This only means that Sunrise can't make great new Gundams any more.
Lately they make money only by recycling the UC universe. The last good show in a different universe was Gundam 00 and the last passable Gundam Build Fighters.
alshuOct 5, 2018 9:08 AM
Oct 5, 2018 9:18 AM

Apr 2017
I may be a bit late to this thread, but I don't believe that is the case. If we look at any other medium, be it music, books or movies, there are plenty of old things people watch/listen to for decades, in case of classical music even centuries.

I admit I haven't watched too many 80s anime yet, but I have seen some 90s anime and I really liked most of them. I definitely plan on watching more when I feel like it. Moden anime may have better graphics, but older shows have their own nice feeling that modern anime lack. According to your "current anime will be forgotten by 2030", even 2000-2006 shows should be forgotten by now then, which is hardly the case. I'm sure majority of MAL fanbase have seen quite a few shows from that time period. Of course subpar things will be forgotten, but truly good things will always stand the test of time. I will be surprised if things that are considered masterpieces today weren't still being watched in 2030 and beyond, not only by older, but also new anime fans and young people.
MrZawaOct 5, 2018 9:22 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 5, 2018 10:48 AM

Feb 2015
> "statistically that's going to happen"
> where you got this info from?
> "that is just common sense"
So OP took some info out of thin air and wants to discuss it, hmmm... no thanks.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Oct 5, 2018 11:03 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah, with how the people is nowadays it might be posible. Shows from 2012 or before are already being considered "old" so it might be true. BUT classics will continue, shows like NGE, FMA, DB, Naruto and that stuff is not going to disapear. I think BNHA is going to join that club too, even tho I don0t enjoy it that much.
Oct 6, 2018 3:24 AM

Jan 2016
Well, generally a lot of stuff in any medium is forgotten with time. For instance, I would expect anime like Grimoire of Zero and Classroom of the Elite (two shows that I thought were alright in fact) will fizzle out in time. However, there are also likely to be classics that will be revisited (I'm not expecting Cowboy Bebop or anything by Ghibli to go away anytime soon) time and time again. Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be on the scale of how much people revisit The Shining, but there are likely to be people who revisit things that are deemed classics.
Jan 19, 2019 9:29 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Gorochu said:
IRL. And if I do hear it in the internet, it’s from old anime fan themselves. The only old anime I know of is Evangelion, Bebopand Rurouni Kenshin IRL.

Prepare to feel old: survey says over half of 20-somethings “don’t know Gundam”
https://soranews24.com/2014/06/29/prepare-to-feel-old-survey-says-over-half-of-20-somethings-dont-know-gundam/

Yup, old anime is dying and will be forgotten. No doubt about that. RIP old anime.

Cabron said:
Weird, they don't know Gundam yet it's the only franchise that's still making a shit ton of money?
Hmmm.

Gundam Seed Destiny (2004) = 68.9k avg sales

It's definitely dying.

Same here, never knew almost all of these anime existed beforehand.You’re more likely to find a more recent gundam anime in a user’s list than a UC gundam from the previous century.
Kagami said:
Most are already forgotten by western anime fans. Get real, most anime fans are casual and dont give a shit about older anime.

This. There aren’t as much regular anime watchers when compared to the number of people who watch TV shows/Movies.
LeonhartAugustJan 19, 2019 9:32 AM
Jan 19, 2019 10:14 AM

Apr 2017
keragamming said:
meatbun_ said:
Looking at any other medium, from literature to movies and comic books, there's absolutely no reason to believe such a thing. Of course newer stuff will always be more popular and not everything will always be around (only those with relevant enough cultural impact), this already happens today, but there's no reason the old stuff will completely go out of fashion.

Have you ever watch Astro boy that came out in 1960? Did you know it had a big influence on anime? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX-0fbXzyA How many people has ever even watched it or know of its impact in the anime medium?

It not only out of fashion, it's almost non existent, and I disagree it is the same for video game and most medium, the only one I can think of that can stay relevant is music. I know it hurts and it is not something most people would want to agree with, but it is the truth.
Using video games as an argument is ridiculous. People play classic video games from the 90s all of the time. I own numerous consoles from the 80s and 90s even though I wasn’t born then. Using Astro Boy as your example of an old show is not a good representation of an older anime either. Sure it was revolutionary to the medium, but not everyone wants to go back and watch a shounen from the 60s. Plenty of 80s and 90s shows are still talked about all of the time.
Jan 19, 2019 10:20 AM

Oct 2013
Aslat24 said:
keragamming said:

Have you ever watch Astro boy that came out in 1960? Did you know it had a big influence on anime? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX-0fbXzyA How many people has ever even watched it or know of its impact in the anime medium?

It not only out of fashion, it's almost non existent, and I disagree it is the same for video game and most medium, the only one I can think of that can stay relevant is music. I know it hurts and it is not something most people would want to agree with, but it is the truth.
Using video games as an argument is ridiculous. People play classic video games from the 90s all of the time. I own numerous consoles from the 80s and 90s even though I wasn’t born then. Using Astro Boy as your example of an old show is not a good representation of an older anime either. Sure it was revolutionary to the medium, but not everyone wants to go back and watch a shounen from the 60s. Plenty of 80s and 90s shows are still talked about all of the time.

You guys are like the minority that would spend a fortune buying a old super nintendo system.
Jan 19, 2019 11:21 AM

May 2018
1 more year we will be in 2020. It just a matter of time before SAO, Code Geass, TTGL, Clannad being lump together with LoGH, Cowboy Bebop, Utena as old anime.
Jan 19, 2019 11:28 AM

Jan 2019
keragamming said:
If you disagree with me, Go ahead and explain.

The original Star Wars movies are as beloved today as they were upon release, and they're almost 50 years old.

Action movies today, despite many trying, often fail to reproduce the magic that was Terminator, Aliens, Predator and Die Hard. Again, these movies are as well put together today (and actually have far, far better cinematography than the CGI shitfests the studios are putting out these days) as they were on release.

Simply put, if something excels within its genre, it stays relevant for a long, long time. Modern westerns still take lessons from Sergio Leone movies and old classics like Once Upon A Time In The West. Even classics like Bogart's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre are still templates for movie plots today.

There is no reason to think the shining examples of what anime can be will be diminished any time soon, especially given that anime is a growing medium, not a stagnating one.
Jan 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2017
i disagree because there is literally no period of film history in which such a thing happened. on the contrary, people actually seem to be having more and more difficulty in letting go of old habits and old tastes (which is why i believe some shows like one piece and dragon ball are still airing today tbh)

BUT

what i do believe will happen is that the mainstream will be determined by streaming services more and more each day. so i do believe that if a certain show isn't featured on streaming services it'll be harder for it to break through the mainstream or to be 'found' by newer fans
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 19, 2019 11:43 AM

May 2018
CallMeHoot said:
keragamming said:

The original Star Wars movies are as beloved today as they were upon release, and they're almost 50 years old.

Action movies today, despite many trying, often fail to reproduce the magic that was Terminator, Aliens, Predator and Die Hard. Again, these movies are as well put together today (and actually have far, far better cinematography than the CGI shitfests the studios are putting out these days) as they were on release.

Simply put, if something excels within its genre, it stays relevant for a long, long time. Modern westerns still take lessons from Sergio Leone movies and old classics like Once Upon A Time In The West. Even classics like Bogart's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre are still templates for movie plots today.

There is no reason to think the shining examples of what anime can be will be diminished any time soon, especially given that anime is a growing medium, not a stagnating one.

Except for Star Wars, Predator, Terminator, Aliens which still have sequel to these days, I never heard the name of those other movies you mention and I never heard of the name Sergio Leone.
Jan 19, 2019 11:51 AM

Oct 2013
CallMeHoot said:
keragamming said:

Those series are still relevant because they still release movies and remake.

mifti said:
i disagree because there is literally no period of film history in which such a thing happened. on the contrary, people actually seem to be having more and more difficulty in letting go of old habits and old tastes (which is why i believe some shows like one piece and dragon ball are still airing today tbh)

BUT

what i do believe will happen is that the mainstream will be determined by streaming services more and more each day. so i do believe that if a certain show isn't featured on streaming services it'll be harder for it to break through the mainstream or to be 'found' by newer fans

Good point on your first paragraph and I do agree with you on your second paragraph, but you need to keep in mind those people that love one piece and dbz are slowly dwindling out, not many new anime fans are getting into those series simple because of the amount of episode it has and because they are considered "old"

There are more new anime fans than old one.

Jan 19, 2019 11:58 AM

Jan 2019
[quote=Gorochu message=56757408]
CallMeHoot said:
keragamming said:
I never heard of the name Sergio Leone.

Do you like Westerns? If not, then there's no reason for you to really know this name :) And if you DO like Westerns and you haven't heard of him then which Westerns have you been watching?

You've heard of The Godfather though, right? Scarface? Back to the Future? My point is that great pieces of entertainment will always be great pieces of entertainment.

keragamming said:
CallMeHoot said:

Those series are still relevant because they still release movies and remake.

And the remakes/sequels are almost unilaterally terrible, but the originals stand as brilliant movies and if you're into cinema there is no way you won't have either seen them or felt their influence in other movies. They're still relevant because they are still brilliant and people still watch them. See my other examples for non-franchised examples.
CallMeHootJan 19, 2019 12:03 PM
Jan 19, 2019 11:59 AM

Sep 2016

Most but not all, a few outstanding anime will stand the test of time and turn into classics like it happened with NGE, LoGH, GitS, Akira, Bebop, etc.
Many Charlie Chaplin movies from 1920 to 1940 are still highly regarded today, even though the initial target audience is already dead.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 19, 2019 6:48 PM

May 2018
CallMeHoot said:
Gorochu said:

Do you like Westerns? If not, then there's no reason for you to really know this name :) And if you DO like Westerns and you haven't heard of him then which Westerns have you been watching?

You've heard of The Godfather though, right? Scarface? Back to the Future? My point is that great pieces of entertainment will always be great pieces of entertainment.

Never watch any of it. Yes,I've heard Back to the Future but haven't hear enough about it to make me watch it. Never heard of The Godfather and Scarface.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's not a matter of how great those entertainment are but whether they will be remembered or not.As time goes on, there will be more and more movies coming out and new generations won't have enough time to watch old movies. It also a matter of availability. New generations will choose to watch whatever movies available in their cinema with their friend or girlfriend or boyfriend, which without a doubt will be flooded by new movies. Sure there might be some people who will still remember them but they are in minority/niche among hardcore movie goers, not the majority casual such as myself who don't know who is Sergio Leone.

And the remakes/sequels are almost unilaterally terrible, but the originals stand as brilliant movies and if you're into cinema there is no way you won't have either seen them or felt their influence in other movies. They're still relevant because they are still brilliant and people still watch them. See my other examples for non-franchised examples.

I think what keragamming saying is that they have remakes/sequels that promote the old classics, which is why they will be remembered regardless of whether the remakes/sequels are better or not.
Papa_ScorchJan 19, 2019 7:00 PM
Jan 19, 2019 6:52 PM

Nov 2016
Gorochu said:
CallMeHoot said:

Not a fan of western and never watch any of it which is why I'm a living proof that those old movies no matter how great they are will be forgotten. Yes,I've heard Back to the Future but haven't hear enough good thing about it to make me watch it. Never heard of The Godfather and Scarface.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's not a matter of how great those entertainment are but whether they will be remembered or not.As time goes on, there will be more and more movies coming out and new generations won't have enough time to watch old movies. It also a matter of availability. New generations will choose to watch whatever movies available in their cinema with their friend or girlfriend or boyfriend, which without a doubt will be flooded by new movies. Sure there might be some people who will still remember them but they are in minority/niche among hardcore movie goers, not the majority casual such as myself won't know who is Sergio Leone.

OK... Now its Obvious that You have been living under a Weeb Rock for your Whole Life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2019 7:02 PM

May 2018
Afloo said:
Gorochu said:

Not a fan of western and never watch any of it which is why I'm a living proof that those old movies no matter how great they are will be forgotten. Yes,I've heard Back to the Future but haven't hear enough good thing about it to make me watch it. Never heard of The Godfather and Scarface.

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's not a matter of how great those entertainment are but whether they will be remembered or not.As time goes on, there will be more and more movies coming out and new generations won't have enough time to watch old movies. It also a matter of availability. New generations will choose to watch whatever movies available in their cinema with their friend or girlfriend or boyfriend, which without a doubt will be flooded by new movies. Sure there might be some people who will still remember them but they are in minority/niche among hardcore movie goers, not the majority casual such as myself won't know who is Sergio Leone.

OK... Now its Obvious that You have been living under a Weeb Rock for your Whole Life.

Naah,I'm just a casual movie goers, that's all. Most of my friend IRL never heard about those movies too. When we talk about classics, we only talk about those franchised movies like Star Wars, Predator, Aliens, Terminator, Jurassic Park,Jaws, ET(yeah many Steven Spielberg stuff) that's about it.

LOL! I never even heard of LoGH, Utena, Rose of Versailles before I join anime discussions in the internet. Not sure if the Weeb Rock label even suit me.
Papa_ScorchJan 19, 2019 7:11 PM
Jan 20, 2019 1:52 AM

Jan 2019
Gorochu said:

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's not a matter of how great those entertainment are but whether they will be remembered or not.As time goes on, there will be more and more movies coming out and new generations won't have enough time to watch old movies. It also a matter of availability. New generations will choose to watch whatever movies available in their cinema with their friend or girlfriend or boyfriend, which without a doubt will be flooded by new movies. Sure there might be some people who will still remember them but they are in minority/niche among hardcore movie goers, not the majority casual such as myself who don't know who is Sergio Leone.

Ok, but you realise that just because you are a casual movie goer and have friends that are the same doesn't mean that nobody remembers or will continue to remember great classics like The Godfather and Scarface. You're actually in the minority if you don't know these movies.

Even comedies today like family guy are still referencing scenes from these movies for laughs.

I wasn't missing the point at all, these movies WILL be remembered. I mean I'm proof of that, and I have a fairly wide circle of friends, many of which enjoy film/cinema and also love these movies.

Take it from me, on this issue you're in the minority if you're talking about the population of the west, hell, even the world, as a whole.
Jan 20, 2019 2:16 AM

May 2018
CallMeHoot said:
Gorochu said:

Ok, but you realise that just because you are a casual movie goer and have friends that are the same doesn't mean that nobody remembers or will continue to remember great classics like The Godfather and Scarface. You're actually in the minority if you don't know these movies.

Even comedies today like family guy are still referencing scenes from these movies for laughs.

I wasn't missing the point at all, these movies WILL be remembered. I mean I'm proof of that, and I have a fairly wide circle of friends, many of which enjoy film/cinema and also love these movies.

Take it from me, on this issue you're in the minority if you're talking about the population of the west, hell, even the world, as a whole.

I don’t watch Family Guy though heard about it. World? Naah that’s too much. Maybe in English speaking countries I’m in minority but in non English I wouldn’t bet on it.

In Japan itself, more and more young people never heard of Gundam.
Papa_ScorchJan 20, 2019 4:11 AM
Jan 20, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2017
You say good OP... However the 80s and 90s classics aren't only carried by the older anime fans, I met a lot of young ones. So at least some will prevail, they die out more and more by decade tho.
Also this could mean more remakes, remakes could draw attention.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jan 20, 2019 2:55 AM

May 2014
I think they'll still be remembered, because i'll remember them.
Jan 20, 2019 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
thats stupid to assume, most anime will get a remake like most of them are getting now, fruits basket, dororo, boogiepop and many more to come. Nostalgia sells.
Jan 20, 2019 3:08 AM

Jun 2014
We will have elitists who watches older anime and then we have normal people keeping up with current anime and a few years back like usual. So some people will probably go ultra elitist and watch the anime from 80s and 90s which is obsolete.
Jan 20, 2019 3:12 AM

Feb 2008
keragamming said:
That is my prediction, and the reason why I predict this is because the only reason why some of these 90s and 80s anime are still being somewhat relevant today, is simple because of the 25 to 30+ year old anime fans. By time 2030 comes around most of them will be irrelevant in the medium, for whatever reason, statistically that's going to happen.

Which means by then the new generation of anime fans will be around, in their teens and early 20s, I believe that is the average age on mal today as well, and they won't be interested in watching those 90s anime, 2010 anime fans also are not interested so it's a no chance for 2030 fans, especially because of the outdated art style and animation. Of course we will always have those rare bunch that will watch all the old classic.

Thinking about it makes me kinda sad, because now the 2000s and 2010s anime will be the one filling the boots for the 90s and 80s classic, in the end even the most influential anime will not even be known by majority of these new fans, only ones who are interested will find them in the archives online or on youtube etc.

Funny enough, if I'm around in the medium by then, I can see myself being just like those anime fan that says the 90s/80s anime are better than the current anime. It's a never ending cycle. lol

This is an interesting prediction, we have experienced a major change in the anime industry where the standard changed from Cel to more digital animation style, in the later 00s. I believe this is just the start as I predicted there will be more major changes in the near future. Shounen Jump is expanding to get more international authors mostly Koreans and Chinese as of now but whose to say the range won’t widen later on. Korea always had many talented manhwa authors. Who’s to say they won’t start an animation industry that will rival Japan one day. Same with China, having a rather late start, the quality of Chinese animation is nowhere near Japan or America today but who knows how far they will come a few years down the road. So the Japanese anime industry may experience some competition in later years and it will impact the anime produced.

The thing is when you say some 80s and 90s anime are only alive because of the 25 or 30s year old fans are keeping them alive. Needn't I remind you that it’s because of those series that the fans exist. If the anime isn’t memorable or doesn’t resonate with audiences they’d be forgotten regardless of how long ago it aired.
yunfanzJan 20, 2019 3:30 AM
Jan 20, 2019 4:20 AM

Jan 2013
Gorochu said:
CallMeHoot said:

I don’t watch Family Guy though heard about it. World? Naah that’s too much. Maybe in English speaking countries I’m in minority but in non English I wouldn’t bet on it.

Are you from Japan by any chance?
I find that hard to believe about Gundam.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 20, 2019 5:18 AM

May 2018
Cabron said:
Gorochu said:

Are you from Japan by any chance?
I find that hard to believe about Gundam.

No but I been to Japan before and spent some time living there due to exchange program there. It's nothing that unbelievable really. Anime itself is a very niche market, even in Japan itself. Gundam are no exception. Disney and western 3D cartoon are the king of animation in Japan. Just look at these blu ray sales in Japan. Moana, Frozen, Incredibles 2 sell so much better than most other anime.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-01-08/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-december-31-january-6/.141771
That is why I strongly believe most old anime will become obsolete decades from now(of course, there are some anime that are exception but those are the minority) because anime is a niche market.
Papa_ScorchJan 20, 2019 5:27 AM
Jan 25, 2019 1:11 PM

Apr 2010
Satyr_icon said:
Looking at any other medium, from literature to movies and comic books, there's absolutely no reason to believe such a thing. Of course newer stuff will always be more popular and not everything will always be around (only those with relevant enough cultural impact), this already happens today, but there's no reason the old stuff will completely go out of fashion.

I think exactly the other way around. People call movies from 2010 old and don't tend to watch them unless they're on TV. Of course, it doesn't no one ever enjoys new things, but yeah, As time pass by, things are forgotten.

Jan 25, 2019 1:46 PM

Aug 2013
EfiChan said:
I think exactly the other way around. People call movies from 2010 old and don't tend to watch them unless they're on TV. Of course, it doesn't no one ever enjoys new things, but yeah, As time pass by, things are forgotten.

That's not really true. Just take the IMDB top 250 for instance:

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top

There are 158 old movies as opposed to 92 21st century movies (give it or take). Among the top10 there's even a 50s movie, with decent watch count (almost 600k). That doesn't mean that people watch more old movies, but that yeah, people still watch them a lot alright, and they certainly don't stop at 2010 in movies. Not to say every single "best movies" list is always swarmed with old movies, and even favourite movies polls (like this one) as well.

Of course, that doesn't mean things don't go out of fashion. New movies are still more watched than old movies (as it is natural: when movies went from mute to sound film, and from black&white to coloured, of course, the latter became the norm), but that doesn't mean the old gets completely forgotten. And not only as reminiscence: the new is ALWAYS and CONSTANTLY tipping their hats to the old. Just look at movies like The Artist, shot as a black&white and silent film, or Drive, with its 80s neo-noir aesthetics (both from 2011). Damn, Stranger Things is a phenomenon among everyone and their grandma and it's totally ripped off from 80s TV shows and movies.

I'd say it's the complete opposite. The old is more relevant than ever nowadays. And even if the general public does not consume proper old stuff (as it always is, since the general public is less knowledgeable, and prone to only follow trends), there's really no reason to believe old stuff will be utterly forgotten. Human beings are naturally hoarders when it comes to the past. That's the only reason people keep old protographs.
Satyr_iconJan 25, 2019 1:49 PM
Jan 25, 2019 1:47 PM

Jul 2017
But Neon Genesis Evangelion will continue to be the best anime in existence in 2030, 2050 or 2070.
あなたは誰?
Jan 25, 2019 4:07 PM

May 2017
You state that the only reason we know of or care about anime from the 80's and 90's is because of older fans. That's going to be the same in 12 years. It will be us who talk about the old anime from the 2000s to 2010s. Like, we will hold on to what we thought was influential in our current time and recommend that anime to new anime fans. Like, I dont think that every anime is going to be relevant, but we will have key anime that MANY anime fans will agree are timeless
Jan 25, 2019 7:07 PM

May 2018
Satyr_icon said:
EfiChan said:

That's not really true. Just take the IMDB top 250 for instance:

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top

There are 158 old movies as opposed to 92 21st century movies (give it or take). Among the top10 there's even a 50s movie, with decent watch count (almost 600k). That doesn't mean that people watch more old movies, but that yeah, people still watch them a lot alright, and they certainly don't stop at 2010 in movies. Not to say every single "best movies" list is always swarmed with old movies, and even favourite movies polls (like this one) as well.

Of course, that doesn't mean things don't go out of fashion. New movies are still more watched than old movies (as it is natural: when movies went from mute to sound film, and from black&white to coloured, of course, the latter became the norm), but that doesn't mean the old gets completely forgotten. And not only as reminiscence: the new is ALWAYS and CONSTANTLY tipping their hats to the old. Just look at movies like The Artist, shot as a black&white and silent film, or Drive, with its 80s neo-noir aesthetics (both from 2011). Damn, Stranger Things is a phenomenon among everyone and their grandma and it's totally ripped off from 80s TV shows and movies.

I'd say it's the complete opposite. The old is more relevant than ever nowadays. And even if the general public does not consume proper old stuff (as it always is, since the general public is less knowledgeable, and prone to only follow trends), there's really no reason to believe old stuff will be utterly forgotten. Human beings are naturally hoarders when it comes to the past. That's the only reason people keep old protographs.

Using IMDB rating as evidence is like using MAL top rated anime to prove something.
https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Here's IMDB version of top rated anime dominated by modern.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls033398199/

At most we can argue that when it comes to movie, people care about classic but when it comes to anime, it's not the same. Reason for this could be because anime is niche market and haven't become mainstream yet while movies are more mainstream since ages ago.
Jan 25, 2019 7:37 PM

Aug 2013
@Gorochu I didn't use the IMDb list to prove anything, only to demonstrate that people still watch a lot of old movies. My point was made through the rest of my post, which you ignored.

IMDb's anime list still has quite a few old anime, as does MAL, especially when you look at user count with the latter. Both Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion were rated by 500k people. There's no reason to believe they (and everyone else who doesn't have a MAL account and like those anime) will just forget it exists because some time passes. It's silly to think like that, especially when 80s anime aesthetics are all the rage again with hipsters and electronic music subcultures. Now and then I see a new video with some lo-fi hip hop and scenes from old anime in the background. How can anyone say those have been forgotten when those videos always have a fuckton of views?

I mean, why do you believe old anime will be forgotten in the first place, I gotta ask? I don't understand, since I haven't seen one sensible reason until now, especially when we had Devilman Crybaby last year and Dororo this year. The industry is CONSTANTLY borrowing from the past and bringing old franchises to new life. What makes you believe they are being forgotten?
Jan 25, 2019 8:03 PM
May 2016
the history of a medium is never forgotten unless you're simply not knowledgeable of the medium
Jan 25, 2019 8:55 PM

Apr 2018
I don't think that 2030 anime will look much better than 2010 anime
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

34 by Tsuyatoash »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 8 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

173 by Jonas-K »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

34 by Tsuyatoash »»
10 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

14 by bacassu »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.