Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 13, 2019 5:02 PM

Mar 2017
copyrightRingo said:
Eanki said:

Why invent more superfluous words when we can scale down?

Besides, I'm not calling for anything just yet. I'm just wondering why insults hurled at females need to be gendered/rooted in their gender instead of just gender-neutral insults. And it's not just females. Guys too get gendered insults ("pussy", "whipped", "wimp", etc.) that serves to target and undermine their masculinity. Coward is a word. Why not use it? You know, those little things that pop into your head at 2am on a Saturday.

That's because swear words are for the purpose of insulting you. The closer the word matches you. The more it hurts.
Of course, there are a million ways to insult someone, but these words are the easiest to use and they can fit on any sentences.

EDIT: Bottom line. It's the choice of words. Using the word "bitch" doesn't make you anything sexist.

Oho. And yet don't you find it curious that gendered insults against males tend to imply that they have feminine characteristics and the possession of such characteristics are considered a negative? Or, in the case of "whipped", the idea of a non-dominant male is something to make fun of?

As for sexism, it's really not some big boogeyman entity who does that. People of all walks of life and various sexual identities tend to do it unwittingly. Sexism isn't just about being an out-and-out misogynist. It's about perpetuating gender norms that tend to have negative consequences.Slut-shaming, for example, was mentioned in this thread. It was pointed out that slut-shaming isn't sexist as it targets individuals not all women. And yet how do you think untargetted women feel when a woman is slut-shamed for being sexually active? Wouldn't it create a silent deterrent to these women to not be sexually active lest they be slut-shamed too?
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 13, 2019 5:45 PM

May 2017
Eanki said:
copyrightRingo said:

That's because swear words are for the purpose of insulting you. The closer the word matches you. The more it hurts.
Of course, there are a million ways to insult someone, but these words are the easiest to use and they can fit on any sentences.

EDIT: Bottom line. It's the choice of words. Using the word "bitch" doesn't make you anything sexist.

Oho. And yet don't you find it curious that gendered insults against males tend to imply that they have feminine characteristics and the possession of such characteristics are considered a negative? Or, in the case of "whipped", the idea of a non-dominant male is something to make fun of?

As for sexism, it's really not some big boogeyman entity who does that. People of all walks of life and various sexual identities tend to do it unwittingly. Sexism isn't just about being an out-and-out misogynist. It's about perpetuating gender norms that tend to have negative consequences.Slut-shaming, for example, was mentioned in this thread. It was pointed out that slut-shaming isn't sexist as it targets individuals not all women. And yet how do you think untargetted women feel when a woman is slut-shamed for being sexually active? Wouldn't it create a silent deterrent to these women to not be sexually active lest they be slut-shamed too?

Nope. Never. They are insults. They are supposed to be vulgar. It would be dumb to overanalyse every single swear word for their "gender orientation" before using them.

In terms of slut-shaming (I actually have to look it up), my opinion is, public decency is a thing. I'm not telling you to cover your entire body on the street. It's the same thing as men don't walk around bare in shorts in a shopping mall. You wear different things based on different environments. There's a lot more about this topic, but let's go back to the anime. We are going way too far from where we were.
Naofumi is looking at an illustration of a book and says she looked like a sult. There is no slut-shaming involved as it's purely fictional. He wasn't transported into the isekai world yet. No, you can't prove he will do the same irl.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jan 13, 2019 7:28 PM
Feb 2016
Why is it suddenly about sexism? Shield hero literally has nothing to do with sexism. I really don't know how derailed this could get
Jan 14, 2019 11:56 PM

Mar 2017
copyrightRingo said:
Eanki said:

Nope. Never. They are insults. They are supposed to be vulgar. It would be dumb to overanalyse every single swear word for their "gender orientation" before using them.

In terms of slut-shaming (I actually have to look it up), my opinion is, public decency is a thing. I'm not telling you to cover your entire body on the street. It's the same thing as men don't walk around bare in shorts in a shopping mall. You wear different things based on different environments. There's a lot more about this topic, but let's go back to the anime. We are going way too far from where we were.
Naofumi is looking at an illustration of a book and says she looked like a sult. There is no slut-shaming involved as it's purely fictional. He wasn't transported into the isekai world yet. No, you can't prove he will do the same irl.

Analysis is fun. A forum is, after all, a place for discourse. Why be in a forum otherwise? A forum without heavy analysis and discourse is not a forum. At best, it's a message board.

I don't particularly care about Naofumi or the misogyny controversy generated so I'm not going to discuss the specifics of that scene with you. I'm just commenting on misconceptions on this thread in particular. I prefer to live with the Hanlon Razor in mind: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

The author is incompetent and the first episode is shit. I've already said so in my comment on the episode thread. As far as I know I haven't invoke the misogyny card.

So yeah. But if want to continue our general discussion, I'm open.

EDIT: Punctuations.
EankiJan 15, 2019 12:33 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 16, 2019 10:21 AM
Jan 2019
Just so that we are clear on the whole mysogyny discussion, is the specific character in question not worthy of the title bestowed upon her by the main hero?

We are talking about a profoundly nasty and self-serving human being that not only just happens to be a woman, but also actively uses her very much gender-based appeal to lead other people astray. If "bitch" is not an adequate explanation for that kind of behaviour, then i don't know what is.

We are also talking about that nasty character existing within the context of the work, where other, decidedly less nasty, female characters are not just present, but also much more prominent.
Jan 16, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2017
Eanki said:

Analysis is fun. A forum is, after all, a place for discourse. Why be in a forum otherwise? A forum without heavy analysis and discourse is not a forum. At best, it's a message board.

I don't particularly care about Naofumi or the misogyny controversy generated so I'm not going to discuss the specifics of that scene with you. I'm just commenting on misconceptions on this thread in particular. I prefer to live with the Hanlon Razor in mind: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

The author is incompetent and the first episode is shit. I've already said so in my comment on the episode thread. As far as I know I haven't invoke the misogyny card.

So yeah. But if want to continue our general discussion, I'm open.

EDIT: Punctuations.

Fair enough.
Though I'm done discussing, discussions like these drains all of my energy. I just wanna have some casual chat.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jan 16, 2019 9:46 PM
Jun 2014
ap1001 said:
Samy-kun said:

Look i know youre talking out of your ass and you have your preference, but you have no idea what youre talking about. Im not even going to discuss it with you, it will be pointless. Everyone who read the manga for at least 20 chapters knows its not a standard isekai. Just because you have some elements of cliché in it doesnt make it bad.

i wonder how you would feel if everyone is basically saying "i wish you would die". nothing wrong with having Victimization complex as a story device. Yes sometimes it is a bit too much but still better SAO 90% of your standard isekai. Stop hating because its isekai, it is annoying.

But again why do i say such things to people like you. Youre one of those people who throw 1 and 2s and shows just because you dont like certain things. But im also against shit like throwing 10s at shows just because youre entertained.
You should rate a show objectively. if you like the art or 1-2 characters or even 1-2 moments in the entire show (1 or 2 cour), it will never be less than a 4. Not even if you try.
giving a rating like 1 ,2 or 3/10 does not make you critical.

Wow 20 manga chapters, wow, here is a sarcastic clap. No I read up to vol 6 of the LN and did a skim reading up to vol 13. So, I'm pretty sure I know better than you.

And I am going to educate you on Isekai, there are many templates to isekai, the dominate ones are the revenge isekai and the OP isekai.

Revenge Isekai such as Arifueta, Shield Hero, Healer second life, all are just as standard as what ever you imagine the average isekai to be, in fact, they are now far more generic than the "average isekai", since everyone wants to be the "special author who subverts expectation".

Shield hero even ended up devolving into the other generic template as soon as they got to the shield worshipping city and the JP city.

And yes victimization is a crappy tool, it lowered the IQ of the surround to artificially inflate the woe. Yeah 3-4 people sure, I can see it, but so many and that victimization lead to some truly stupid decision, like the king and the dumb princess making enemy of the queen of the country (when she have all the actual power? Really?).
couldn't find Healer 2nd life, whats the name or plot summary. one more question, what's your top 5 LN you would recommend over Shield Hero?
edit:do you mean the Hero Healer with his Bitch Mage, Sliver Wolf Slave, Saint Swordwomen, Future Demon Queen and Little Sister
UndyingJeagerJan 16, 2019 9:50 PM
Jan 16, 2019 10:21 PM
Aug 2008
Second episode did not disappoint. Although somewhat predictable I still found myself cheering for Raphtalia to find her courage towards the end of the episode. I'm a sucker for that shit.

I find it odd this anime is being accused of "misogyny" or "slave-girl fantasy". I can understand those points but have I not seen anything in the first two episodes to lead me to that conclusion. If they are talking about the light novel this is based on then I'm a bit confused. I thought this topic was about the anime. So far in the anime I've not seen that. I don't know of anyone who has a fantasy of owning a slave girl to feed, clothe and take care of as if your own sibling or child.

I've read a lot of fantasy novels. The hero buying a slave to further the quest is not a new trope. Get back to me when the hero starts asking for a nightly hand job.

Jan 17, 2019 1:01 AM

Aug 2018
Pontic said:
For everyone new to Shield Hero, I beg you, please give this show a shot. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't. This show is deep with real world connotations and a firm grasp on the meaning of isolation and hatred. As the show continues, the characters actually grow and the main character is FAR from overpowered. I've skimmed the discussions and read the opinions of those who judge books by covers and my heart has been broken. While Isekai is not for everyone, this breaks away from the mold while still maintaining a familiar isekai-ness, and if you keep with it, I believe this could be the isekai that scratches your fantasy itch.
I’m giving it a shot Boss. I almost bailed after the first episode, but I loved the second episode. I’m looking forward to next week.
Jan 17, 2019 1:03 AM

Aug 2018
Vecko said:
Why do you want other people to watch what you like anyway?
What’s the matter with you? Are you a reptile?
Jan 17, 2019 1:06 AM

Mar 2016
NoviSun said:
Vecko said:
Why do you want other people to watch what you like anyway?
hisssssssssssssssss
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 17, 2019 2:01 AM

Aug 2018
Vecko said:
NoviSun said:
hisssssssssssssssss
lol! Well, that settles that. Lol
Jan 17, 2019 2:05 AM

Mar 2016
NoviSun said:
Vecko said:
hisssssssssssssssss
I'll let you in on a little secret. We abducted your mom and replaced her with one of our own.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 17, 2019 2:07 AM

Aug 2018
Vecko said:
NoviSun said:
I'll let you in on a little secret. We abducted your mom and replaced her with one of our own.
I thought the old lady had been acting a little queer lately. Thanks for the confirmation.
Jan 17, 2019 2:09 AM

Mar 2016
NoviSun said:
Vecko said:
I thought the old lady had been acting a little queer lately. Thanks for the confirmation.
I like you. I will break out your mom and return her tomorrow morning.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 17, 2019 4:27 AM

Apr 2014
UndyingJeager said:
ap1001 said:

Wow 20 manga chapters, wow, here is a sarcastic clap. No I read up to vol 6 of the LN and did a skim reading up to vol 13. So, I'm pretty sure I know better than you.

And I am going to educate you on Isekai, there are many templates to isekai, the dominate ones are the revenge isekai and the OP isekai.

Revenge Isekai such as Arifueta, Shield Hero, Healer second life, all are just as standard as what ever you imagine the average isekai to be, in fact, they are now far more generic than the "average isekai", since everyone wants to be the "special author who subverts expectation".

Shield hero even ended up devolving into the other generic template as soon as they got to the shield worshipping city and the JP city.

And yes victimization is a crappy tool, it lowered the IQ of the surround to artificially inflate the woe. Yeah 3-4 people sure, I can see it, but so many and that victimization lead to some truly stupid decision, like the king and the dumb princess making enemy of the queen of the country (when she have all the actual power? Really?).
couldn't find Healer 2nd life, whats the name or plot summary. one more question, what's your top 5 LN you would recommend over Shield Hero?
edit:do you mean the Hero Healer with his Bitch Mage, Sliver Wolf Slave, Saint Swordwomen, Future Demon Queen and Little Sister

Not sure about its full english name, the bitch mage is pink hair in manga right? Then its that one.

Top 5 LN, you want the Isekai version? or all of LN?

For isekai, I place Log Horzion, Wolf and Spice, Mushoku Tensei, SAO UW arc, Re:zero above it.

All of LN is makes the list way too long. But my personal top 5 are, Toaru, Baccano/Durarara, Monogatari (though it requires Japanese to truly appreciate), Konosuba, Kino's Journey.
ap1001Jan 17, 2019 4:33 AM
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jan 18, 2019 1:41 AM
Apr 2015
ChipTato said:
Why is it suddenly about sexism? Shield hero literally has nothing to do with sexism. I really don't know how derailed this could get

I know right, I remember a time when people just enjoyed watching anime. So many people (or maybe just a very noisy few) are over analyzing a work of fiction.
Jan 18, 2019 9:52 AM
Oct 2016
This story has been out in manga and light novel form for several years. It's not until the anime that the outcry starts. Quite telling on the type of people who complain about these things and Goblin Slayer.
Jan 25, 2019 8:00 PM

Aug 2018
Here lies a fueled discussion about Shield Hero. GG ladies and gentlemen, GG.
Yotus Yeetus commit self-deletus
Jan 27, 2019 3:11 PM

Feb 2013
Idk what this clusterfuck of a discussion is but after watching like 3 episodes of this I really don't understand why it's so highly-regarded. Likewise, I don't see why there are people calling it garbage either. Seems pretty average for an isekai to me so far unless there's something coming up that people who read the source material are hyped for? Also why are there so many triggered people? wtf did I miss while watching? Unless everyone's already read the source material, why are so many people kicking up a fuss 3 episodes in? Too many questions.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2019

298 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2019

379 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2019

418 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2019

440 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.