Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2019 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
oh man, the music towards the end was realllly nice
Jan 13, 2019 7:27 AM

Apr 2011
I did right to read the manga before watching. Better than I expected the adaptation to be. I expected faster pacing, but they're taking their time with this, which I like.

P.S. gotta say, I like the OP, but I really am not enjoying the way UVERworld keeps integrating electronic into their music lately. It sounds so off-putting and only interferes with their music. It hurts me to say that because I'm a huge fan of theirs and this is just disappointing, really. It can be so much better if they just drop the damn electronic music.
Jan 13, 2019 8:46 AM

Feb 2015
The last time I felt suspense while watching anime was when Dia was hiding from lunarian dog in Houseki no Kuni, so at the end of 2017. It was great to feel it again.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 13, 2019 9:44 AM
Nov 2014
Really perfect episode and beginning for mystery and horror anime . i am now excited and so nervous to watch the next episode ( see how they will escape or how wanna they persuade the others to escape ) .

I loved it . I hope that much surprises are waiting for us .
Jan 13, 2019 10:09 AM
Apr 2017
And this, dear viewers, is a wonderful example of how to handle transition of tone from light to dark accurately.

(I'm looking at you, Magus Bride)
Jan 13, 2019 11:29 AM

Oct 2018
Wow that's messed up.
Jan 13, 2019 11:46 AM

Apr 2009
Why reveal everything episode one? Why can't children act like children? If you never saw a vehicle how do you know what it would look like? Why didn't they close the gate? How did they escape? Why does Emma look like a boy?

Not much effort in the plot. Looks pretty bad tbh.
Jan 13, 2019 12:58 PM
Sep 2018
All I can say is wow, and it’s amazing. I love the art too. Hopefully next episode we get more insight on mother’s character.
You don’t have enough hatred
Jan 13, 2019 1:36 PM
Aug 2017
I can't be the only one who got labour camp vibes from the numbers. I honestly thought they may have been separated from their parents and raised to fight against the nation they came from or something. But its so much worse knowing that they are being farmed. Although the test shown is interesting, I'm curious as to what role it plays as a whole.
Jan 13, 2019 3:27 PM

Mar 2016
Here comes the masterpiece of the season <3

Jan 13, 2019 4:18 PM

Sep 2014
Hot contender for AOTS, its like this years Made in Abyss, was with less colourfull fantasy world and more horror

I hope this continues as strong amd doesnt take a wrong turn down the road.

But those faces. I thought old KyoAni derpy faces were bad, but this is like the no nose meme, but unironically
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 13, 2019 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
Amazing episode.
Jan 13, 2019 7:04 PM
Aug 2017
Amazing. Bru the OP is a slapper and the story is quality tier. Good shit anime of the year material.
Jan 13, 2019 7:08 PM
Oct 2017
Was it just me, or did their codes all end in the same two numbers?
Jan 13, 2019 8:41 PM

Feb 2018
Fantastic episode. The animation and music is really good. I went into this knowing the twist but I didn't know they'd reveal it this early. I'm really looking forward to the rest, I just might have to read the manga to see what happens.
Jan 13, 2019 8:42 PM
Feb 2018
I absolutely adored this episode as a huge fan of the manga, I thought it was a really well made adaptation of the first chapter. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 13, 2019 10:50 PM
Nov 2018
I think this episode was very well done. I think it was mostly a setup to the future. I haven’t read the manga so I can’t wait to see what happens next!
Jan 13, 2019 11:48 PM

Oct 2008
Not bad, suffers from the usual bad exposition and pacing like most anime but the monster designs are pretty interesting and the concept and animation is good enough to make up for this less than perfect opening. I'm interested, even if it's trash I think it'll be entertaining, similar to most of this director's work.
Jan 14, 2019 12:44 AM

Mar 2015
Cool twist at the end, and that opening fucking slaps, but I had a few small problems with this episode

Wasn't the toddler girl holding the toy with her, why was it still back at the orphanage?
How the FUCK did they escape from under the car and completely left the entire area with no one noticing? Also what's up with their face proportions lol that shit ugly.

Decent episode anyway
Jan 14, 2019 2:16 AM

Sep 2016
I'm watching the first episode of almost every anime this season to pick what i wanna continue

this one was really hyped so i had high hopes. tbh I wasnt dissapointed. seems like it will be a very interesting show. I am definitely going to finish this one
Jan 14, 2019 4:14 AM

Apr 2013
I can't take the horror genre serious with their faces, but the fact that they mentioned "human farm" is something unique! it got me excited for next episode, I am definatly following this as it's ongoing and not sniping full season when it's over for sure.
Jan 14, 2019 5:37 AM
Nov 2018
Can't wait for ep2.. Episode 1 ending was sadistic.
Jan 14, 2019 5:51 AM
Jan 2019
Ventus_S said:
Umm, this series is not about horror anyway, so ofc the emphasis would not be on that.

And believe it or not, most of the kids have lots of screen-time later on, so it's very important to introduce all of them steadily by spending more screen time on the peaceful time.

Also that ending point is perfect, if they rush the early exposition, the contrast wouldn't be there, the character dynamic wouldn't be there, also it defeats the horror element completely by pushing the plot since the story is going to shift in direction starting ep2.
Oh, and trust me, villains aren't idiot at all, unlike most shonen jump villains.

Btw, if you're here looking for horror/ gore/ shock factor like Attack on Titan, you come to the wrong place. Also the early plot twist is not meant to be hidden, the author knows very well people see it coming. The focus of the series is on how characters use their wit in the end.

Erm, you have a strange opinion about horror if you are mentioning Attack on Titan as a valid example of horror anime. And i'm not the one LOOKING for gore/shock here, the first episode just has it. And if there won't be anything like that in the following episodes, then instead of showing off its actual strengths the show decided to spend time on one-off scare. Okay.

The peaceful times segment completely failed to get my attention at all. If the intent was to set up all of the various kids, then it really failed, because the only character i even vaguely remember is a guy that ends up challenging the main trio despite apparently always losing. And i only remember that guy because that's the moment the show disappointed me by cutting away just as i was looking forward to an actual display of the alleged talent and wit.

I'll believe the villains are better than Shounen Jump once i see them be better. Doesn't look promising so far.

haoody said:
The plot is about escaping the orphanage, so what's the problem in revealing that they need to escape? They are childrens born just to be smarter, that's why they are more mature than normal childrens, especifically the three Emma/Norman/Ray. The others childrens act like normal childrens. They have books there, so that's why they know about things outside of the orphanage, and the books will have a high importance in the plot. Why they would close the gate again if it's just for receiving the children like a normal trade? The question about the escape and the Emma visual looks futile, so I just answered the others.
You should've payed more attention to the details.

The problem is not in revealing it but in how they revealed it. They did it in a way that broke, at least, my own suspension of disbelief. If i were running an operation of that nature, there wouldn't be any open and unattended gates between the dorm and the slaughterhouse. Also, places where children are not meant to go would be actually physically inaccessible, not just behind a "don't go here" warning.

I'm usually on the defending side on the "this is too unreal for me to get into" debate in anime. Feels strange finding myself on a different side of the fence for a change :D
malMaxiJan 14, 2019 5:55 AM
Jan 14, 2019 4:07 PM

Apr 2016
haha nani the fuck
moe moe ichijou seiya

Jan 14, 2019 4:31 PM
Mar 2014
malMaxi said:

The problem is not in revealing it but in how they revealed it. They did it in a way that broke, at least, my own suspension of disbelief. If i were running an operation of that nature, there wouldn't be any open and unattended gates between the dorm and the slaughterhouse. Also, places where children are not meant to go would be actually physically inaccessible, not just behind a "don't go here" warning.

They did actually skip a part where Norman picks the lock to get out of the house. Which explains why they'd be confident enough to leave the gate open. It's bad they skipped it but it actually does get mentioned in dialogue later so maybe they thought that was enough... I see what you're thinking though. Why would they not double or tripple the security to eliminate all chance of that happening? This stuff is brought up in the manga and it's all answered very reasonably.

Though of course the anime might drop the ball on all of this so who knows lol. It was actually a decent adaption.But strange that they ommited the lock picking and there's other questionable choices too. It's pretty important for this type of story to include the all the details. No one can assume the audience will know there was a locked door between them and the gate. So yeah, a bad choice.
Jan 15, 2019 12:04 AM

May 2016
I’m back on mal to post...

They did what they had to do here.

I’m back to watching anime because of this show.

I pretty much stopped watching anime after Re:zero finished airing 2 years ago oops. I didn’t find any anime worth my time until this show. Watched the first episode and now I’m half way through the manga LOL
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 15, 2019 9:07 AM

Jan 2015
Oh yeah, that was great! I knew that "Mother" had something bad. I'm pretty hyped for this series.
Jan 15, 2019 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
the plot twist was really expected but it's okay, i'm pretty sure there will be plenty more..! actually something tells me i should try to avoid spoilers for this series so,, i'll try for real this time. i see surprisingly many ppl are disappointed with the first ep but?? this just looks very promising to my edgy teenager ass (hell, there's even the Edgy Character 10/10)

the weird-ish head proportions will need to get used to, but the art style is otherwise really pretty.

both the op and the ed are bops!!! man i love uverworld. you know it's good when they bring out the sax!
Jan 15, 2019 10:44 AM

Oct 2017
soffan said:
the plot twist was really expected but it's okay, i'm pretty sure there will be plenty more..! actually something tells me i should try to avoid spoilers for this series so,, i'll try for real this time. i see surprisingly many ppl are disappointed with the first ep but?? this just looks very promising to my edgy teenager ass (hell, there's even the Edgy Character 10/10)

the weird-ish head proportions will need to get used to, but the art style is otherwise really pretty.

both the op and the ed are bops!!! man i love uverworld. you know it's good when they bring out the sax!

Well, any series can get people who don't like it.

The score doesn't reflect to those loud minority, however.
Jan 15, 2019 11:07 AM
Jan 2019
Really liked this episode, and I'm excited to see where the series goes as I've heard the manga is great (haven't read it myself). The art style, the eyes, in particular, look a little fish-like to me, though I don't notice it as much with older characters. The protagonists look fine, so that's all that matters to me!
Jan 15, 2019 2:54 PM

Nov 2013
It was good enough for a first episode. I already like Emma, character and design wise, the two boys not so much.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 15, 2019 5:29 PM
Jan 2018
It looks like this anime will be one of my favorites in this season. Great atmosphere, I love that kind of dark stories include children. Yakusoku no Neverland has big potential with the first episode but it depends on how they handle the story arc.
Jan 15, 2019 9:06 PM

Feb 2014
This was an amazing first episode, they did it even better than the manga. I hope it keeps this pace and we get a split cour. If they rush 37 chapters into 12 episodes, then this whole arc will be ruined.
Jan 15, 2019 10:16 PM

Apr 2018
When does episode 2 come out? is it going to be on Wednesday or Thursday?
Jan 15, 2019 10:16 PM

May 2016
Now I’m caught up with the manga lmao. It took me 2 days LOL

OH LORD I hope they do it justice because the manga is amazing.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 15, 2019 10:49 PM

Apr 2018
Well I knew SOMETHING was going to go wrong but I was not expecting this.

I am spooked and intrigued.

Jan 15, 2019 11:01 PM
Sep 2016
whamomymamos said:
malMaxi said:

They did actually skip a part where Norman picks the lock to get out of the house. Which explains why they'd be confident enough to leave the gate open. It's bad they skipped it but it actually does get mentioned in dialogue later so maybe they thought that was enough... I see what you're thinking though. Why would they not double or tripple the security to eliminate all chance of that happening? This stuff is brought up in the manga and it's all answered very reasonably.

Though of course the anime might drop the ball on all of this so who knows lol. It was actually a decent adaption.But strange that they ommited the lock picking and there's other questionable choices too. It's pretty important for this type of story to include the all the details. No one can assume the audience will know there was a locked door between them and the gate. So yeah, a bad choice.

So that still doesn't address why they'd just leave that area unattended to or inaccessible for any of the kids to go through any time or was that also left out.
Or will the adults just be conveniently making dumb and genius decisions whenever the plot demands it? (like how did those kids escape really...magical blinding skill or?)
1.1.Six
Jan 15, 2019 11:06 PM

May 2016
JudoJD said:
whamomymamos said:

So that still doesn't address why they'd just leave that area unattended to or inaccessible for any of the kids to go through any time or was that also left out.
Or will the adults just be conveniently making dumb and genius decisions whenever the plot demands it? (like how did those kids escape really...magical blinding skill or?)
Do you want me to spoil it for you? Everything in the manga (hopefully the anime as well) is explained with wit and intelligence. Nothing is “dumb”.
There’s a reason why everything appears completely normal and non threatening as much as possible.

Anyways, you won’t be prepared for the twists and turns and mind games coming lmao. Death Note is shaking.
TeamDalaiLanaJan 15, 2019 11:11 PM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 15, 2019 11:50 PM
Sep 2016
TeamDalaiLana said:
JudoJD said:

Do you want me to spoil it for you? Everything in the manga (hopefully the anime as well) is explained with wit and intelligence. Nothing is “dumb”.
There’s a reason why everything appears completely normal and non threatening as much as possible.

Anyways, you won’t be prepared for the twists and turns and mind games coming lmao. Death Note is shaking.

Avoids answering question to something shown in the episode..i see..so that's a plothole OK
"You won't be prepared" blah blah....that's what everyone said
and lol nothing appears completely normal and non-threatening (quite the opposite from the very start of the ep)..if you couldn't tell the kids were being fed to something by the end of the breakfast scene idk what to tell you really. Predictable dystopian style horror cliches back to back with unnatural exposition that forces the point in your face and makes the characters feel less like characters and just mere plot devices

Yeah spoil me...I'd love an example to assure me the writing won't always be this lazy...Multiple examples even please (noone seems to have any...Ive asked)
Don't esitate to DM me ...or hit me up on the other thread
JudoJDJan 15, 2019 11:56 PM
1.1.Six
Jan 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Apr 2018
Damn this episode was good. It had nice ops and ending and left off with a cliff hanger. Looking forward to this anime so far.
Jan 16, 2019 12:38 AM
Mar 2014
JudoJD said:
whamomymamos said:

Dude, if you can't handle not having answers right now I don't know how you'll cope. Often this series will bring something up, and wait chapters to answer the question. That's the way they create suspense.

As for the reason they don't have anyone standing guard or the gate being open. I said one is that the door is locked, and it's the only way out of the house. As for the other it's something that's reasonable to me only because I know the full picture.

Also when people tell you that you won't be prepared for the plot twists and stuff, just don't get overhyped or overly cynical. For all we know the anime studio might throw all subtlety out the window. They've shown signs already of that.

Jan 16, 2019 1:43 AM

May 2016
JudoJD said:
TeamDalaiLana said:

Avoids answering question to something shown in the episode..i see..so that's a plothole OK
and lol nothing appears completely normal and non-threatening (quite the opposite from the very start of the ep)..if you couldn't tell the kids were being fed to something by the end of the breakfast scene idk what to tell you really. Predictable dystopian style horror cliches back to back with unnatural exposition that forces the point in your face and makes the characters feel less like characters and just mere plot devices

Yeah spoil me...I'd love an example to assure me the writing won't always be this lazy...Multiple examples even please (noone seems to have any...Ive asked)
TeamDalaiLanaJan 16, 2019 2:05 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 16, 2019 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
We can't accuse every single new anime for ''bad writing'', just because it has clichés! Yes, it may really be kind of overrated, but thankfully it's not bad, so I believe it was OK!
Jan 16, 2019 2:00 AM

Aug 2015
Really enjoyed the first episode. Can't wait for more, I hope that this horror atmosphere will continue in next episodes. Also poor Connie, she was so sweet T_T Like, literally, when you see such a cute character, you know something bad will happen to her.
Jan 16, 2019 4:28 AM

Oct 2017
giannis85 said:
We can't accuse every single new anime for ''bad writing'', just because it has clichés! Yes, it may really be kind of overrated, but thankfully it's not bad, so I believe it was OK!

At this point 99% of the stuffs out there can be called cliche now so it's not even a critique anymore. People who can't use the word cliche on literally all the anime are mostly due to their own ignorance of watching so little entertainment medias to not know pretty much all of those plot sequence are repeated a few hundred times by now because there's just that many manga/ novel/ literature/ movies/ anime/ games out there.

The key is execution, performance, writing, direction, to give readers an illusion that it's something new. Neverland got a highscore because of these factors. Also it's not even on the good part yet. People who criticized the writing would got lots of explanation later on because literally all these early parts alone have lots of for-shadowing from the get go.
Ventus_SJan 16, 2019 4:34 AM
Jan 16, 2019 5:20 AM
Sep 2016
whamomymamos said:
JudoJD said:

Dude, if you can't handle not having answers right now I don't know how you'll cope. Often this series will bring something up, and wait chapters to answer the question. That's the way they create suspense.

As for the reason they don't have anyone standing guard or the gate being open. I said one is that the door is locked, and it's the only way out of the house. As for the other it's something that's reasonable to me only because I know the full picture.

Also when people tell you that you won't be prepared for the plot twists and stuff, just don't get overhyped or overly cynical. For all we know the anime studio might throw all subtlety out the window. They've shown signs already of that.

1. So already the anime has plot-holes that require excuses from the manga - still not changing the fact that the anime has bad writing in terms of how the event played out OK (great..so you also know it's a problem...we agree on that..cool)
Ah o it's manga fans rather than the actual anime being good I see. noted

2. So they always just leave the entire area unguarded even as the kids play play about outside (door + surroundings) cause kids definitely heed to don't touch warnings....awesome..I see nothing dumb there

(lol I'm addressing someone else's concerns why again?....got sidetracked)

3. Who's complaining about not having all the answers in the first episode.
The question is simple. How did those kids escape from under that truck. Simple question that no-one is answering and is apparently reasonable to you so a little help here...or is it just a flat out plot hole resulting from a cheap attempt at suspense and no-one who likes the series wants to admit it...one of those
(or the kids have magical transportation powers? uwu cooooooool)

4. (Don't forget about no. 3) Awesome, someone with the "full picture" please give me examples of better writing up ahead (noone can for some reason). Spoil away. I just want to know the writing won't always be this (bad tbh.. don't kill me) problematic up ahead cause the introduction raises a lot of warning signs of what to expect. There's no need to hesitate even dm me to ensure noone walks into a spoiler..please (and do the characters start talking like...people instead of plot devices setting up story elements...I want to choke the next kid who'll say "strategy" one more time lol)
I'm genuinely curious
JudoJDJan 16, 2019 5:38 AM
1.1.Six
Jan 16, 2019 5:46 AM
Sep 2016
TeamDalaiLana said:
JudoJD said:

So...nothing special about the premise.. it's legit just what you'd expect from a dystopian story?? sugoi
OK thanks. Was looking for writing examples to see how the ideas were used in situations but I'll take that lol.

wait wait XD.. that last one...oh Lord XD.. So the plot plays out because...well..literally just because? That's why there's a story?...I can't wait for a believable answer as to why she's doing that when (insert that 3rd paragraph here)
OMG thanks now I know it's really pretty dumb premise-wise (just my opinion ok)....but aren't a lot of stories..thank you wow XD. It's the execution I'm worried about the most though.
but again thanks. Way more helpful than most
JudoJDJan 16, 2019 5:53 AM
1.1.Six
Jan 16, 2019 5:51 AM

Aug 2015
why does it say that this show is broadcasted on fridays when it clearly wasn't on a friday when it aired last week? Or am I tripping
Jan 16, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2016
JudoJD said:
TeamDalaiLana said:

So...nothing special about the premise.. it's legit just what you'd expect from a dystopian story?? sugoi
OK thanks. Was looking for writing examples to see how the ideas were used in situations but I'll take that lol.

wait wait XD.. that last one...oh Lord XD.. So the plot plays out because...well..literally just because? That's why there's a story?...I can't wait for a believable answer as to why she's doing that when (insert that 3rd paragraph here)
OMG thanks now I know it's really pretty dumb premise-wise (just my opinion ok)....but aren't a lot of stories..thank you wow XD. It's the execution I'm worried about the most though.
but again thanks. Way more helpful than most

TeamDalaiLanaJan 16, 2019 6:33 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 16, 2019 6:40 AM
Feb 2017
moodie said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 1 aired today at C3AFA Singapore

It ended at the Mother looking at Conny’s doll. Pretty much a cliffhanger. And the animation is pretty great. It practically takes the manga art and puts it in motion. The director mentioned that they were recording episode 9 as of this moment and commented that it was the climax. So maybe we can assume 12-13 episodes?

The first arc of the Manga lasted for 39 chapters, most of which can be combined into singular episodes. My hope is the series is in the episode range of 11-13 episodes as the very next arc is rather long and is not as well suited to a brief seasonal broadcast.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.