Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Jan 12, 2019 6:02 AM

Sep 2007
Was waiting for 1 year and a half after the news ...
And i'm truly happy for that. o/
Jan 12, 2019 7:14 AM
Oct 2009
The first episode and opening are really good!
People should just stop bitching around and just let people enjoy the anime, you have shit taste.
Its also the same shit with SAO again and again.
Jan 12, 2019 8:58 AM
Apr 2016
I didn't expect this to be THIS good, damn my expectations were lower than what I received. First, from what I heard, it gets really dark later on in the series, which supplements the isekai genre, really interesting and potentially not lacking that means. Looking forward to the next episode, didn't even notice that the first one is 40 minutes, time flew by fast.
Jan 12, 2019 11:12 AM

May 2009
tzarye14 said:
The lack of world building [Emoji movie level stuff] and the writting almost killed this show for me.

How much worldbuilding should first episode of anime have? What's wrong with writing?
Jan 12, 2019 3:49 PM
Nov 2018
Good start, I liked everything about it. Good animation, voice acting, music, interesting story. Slave trader is awesome, the face you can trust. Myne is beautiful. Baloon monsters are adorable. It reminds me the first episode of re:Zero, the quality is obvious. I am instantly hooked, reading LNs now. As good this adaptation is, the LNs are better.

There were few strange moments. Heroes demanded reward from the start but failed to negotiate it, basically they agreed that kingdom will eventually reward them somehow. Twelve adventurers started moving at exactly same moment starting with the same leg with same speed. Military units do it routinely but they are specifically trained for this. The MC lays on a bed and looks at a chandelier with four candles, then raises and blows out the fifth candle. Somehow it is enough, must be magic. But these are minor moments, very much ignorable.

Some characters seem to act strange, it will be explained later in the story. They are doing "show not tell" thing, viewers have the same information as MC and he is not well informed at this point.

Haters gonna hate, the hell with them. "No such thing as bad publicity" seems to work for anime.
Jan 12, 2019 5:17 PM

Apr 2015
  • Animation so far is good and the story is decent. I don't expect much from this show, but i'll keep watching this.
  • I have to say, Malty is such a bitch.
pekinJan 12, 2019 5:21 PM
Jan 12, 2019 6:05 PM

Oct 2008
kinda average, nothing particularly great about the directing. i have no idea why people love watching rpg's as anime so much. just play a fuckin game if you want all this "stats" bs and levelling up. it's so lame.

what was good was seeing the mc stop acting like a cringey niceguy otaku and stop talking outloud to himself all the time (worst anime trope ever) and taking his aggression out on everything
Jan 13, 2019 1:33 AM

Sep 2007
One little question :
With 45 min for the first episode, the second will be out the 16th with 45 min too or not ?
In same time, do the second episode with be the second part of this first episode ?
I'm a little disturbed about this, sorry.
Jan 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Jul 2012
Just skimmed through comments, people are nowadays triggered over everything (every little thing). What a time we are living on ...
Was reading manga, quite a long time since started around 2 years ago i think, so was interested in anime adaptation and the first episode was pretty good. So while reading i think in most of the chapters people were praising how amazing this work (web novel) is, i mean it was good, but just so overrated.

Watching the ending scene with slave trader reminded me of the old D.Gray-man scene on the graveyard, it has been so long =/

Jan 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Aug 2015
Here's to hoping that the anime drastically improves on the wn.
Jan 13, 2019 4:38 AM

Apr 2017
Finally, a MGTOW anime.
cunnysseur
Jan 13, 2019 12:55 PM
Sep 2018
Loved this anime! First episode has me hooked. The other hero’s are weenies though. Hopefully not a lot of character development on them lol.
You don’t have enough hatred
Jan 13, 2019 2:20 PM

May 2012
Is their any difference between the pre-air and aired episode other than having opening song ?

Jan 13, 2019 2:48 PM
Mar 2018
thepath said:
Is their any difference between the pre-air and aired episode other than having opening song ?

Subs are of much higher quality in the aired version. And I think overall, the episode looks better? Idk, all I know is that the subs are miles better
Jan 13, 2019 3:59 PM
Dec 2014
papsoshea said:
Cabron said:
That didn't make any sense.
LN authors think about the SJW?
They write something they know will spark up some controversy for $$$ and have been doing it for years.

Why? They write this stuff for Japanese people not for foreigners. This one just happened to get popular and get published from its web novel counterpart. Japan doesn't care about your feelings.
Jan 13, 2019 3:59 PM
Jan 2016
Great start, i liked that, i am even more interested in this premise!

I never felt comfortable with that girl joining Naofumi, i always suspected that she only wanted to steal all his belongings, and it really happened, and the other three hero, i liked them at start, but from now on they could die!

I truly felt bad for Naofumi after he realised everything, but her attitude was the best, he started from zero without nothing, as a true hero and adventurer, i am proud of him, can't wait to see him becoming strong and show everyone that he is the boss and clear his name, will be satisfying!

But it helped him to develop himself, he became cold like a badass, doing things alone, better alone instead of traitors!

Weapon shop vendor seemed to be a trustworthy character!

Looking forward to see more!
Jan 13, 2019 4:24 PM
Feb 2018
I've got to say, after watching the second half for the first time since i watched the first half a few months ago, i am way more into it then when i first watch it, i still wish the first half took a few more episodes to tell but otherwise great introductory episode.

The plight of the hero is great and refreshing to see in a isekai show.

I'm down for the rest of the show now.
Jan 13, 2019 9:00 PM
Dec 2014
papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

Why? They write this stuff for Japanese people not for foreigners. This one just happened to get popular and get published from its web novel counterpart. Japan doesn't care about your feelings.
I'm not even offended by any of the controversies, and how did this get popular? Because of the ??? exactly. If you ain't writing sex or controversial themes, you ain't selling.

I'm not saying you are offended. I'm saying they don't care about the west and you are wrong for saying the author specifically targeted controversy just to get popular. Stuff like outrage over political correctness in light novels doesn't exist in Japan excluding a rare few. I mean look at the amount of incest anime and novels there is do you really think they care about controversy in the west?

This got popular because at the time of writing around 2012, it is an original concept. Some of the isekai tropes you see came from here (The slavery trope and the "hero is betrayed by their summoner" trope).
Jan 14, 2019 4:52 AM

Jun 2015
papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

I'm not saying you are offended. I'm saying they don't care about the west and you are wrong for saying the author specifically targeted controversy just to get popular. Stuff like outrage over political correctness in light novels doesn't exist in Japan excluding a rare few. I mean look at the amount of incest anime and novels there is do you really think they care about controversy in the west?

This got popular because at the time of writing around 2012, it is an original concept. Some of the isekai tropes you see came from here (The slavery trope and the "hero is betrayed by their summoner" trope).
I have seen interviews of authors (LN in particular) saying yes (GS author recently). Controversy and sex = $$$

Remove these themes from Shield Hero and it gets barely any attention from the west. Same with GS. You're making the same argument that has been regurgitated for some time now. The west has influence and it grows bigger each year. First of all, it’s important to note that the West does matter to anime/manga production and distribution. This shouldn’t have to be refuted; after all, works wouldn’t be marketed to the West if we didn’t matter. And there are many examples, this means authors/creators keep in mind what works domestically and what can garnish more attention and money internationally.

Look at the year by year data from the Association of Japanese Animations and Manga. LNs release in the West and are successful, you even got anime airing in the west before Japan in some cases. SJ's decision to move their content for an online subscription is a move that is more catered to the west. Studios are signing up with Amazon, Netflix and other companies. I am not saying the west audience is more important but saying creators don't care about the west or saying they don't specifically target controversy to get popular is absurd.

If you remove the controversial themes from Shield Hero, there wouldn't be much discussion about it here, just like GS. In the space of days after its first episode aired, more people knew about it and flocked to it based on the controversy (just like Sheild Hero), that's what sells. You can tell the intent behind it by looking at how its written into the story.

Quick edit: Of course they don't care about crybaby SJWs and their rants or much criticism from the west, but they care about their attention and $$$.

we got tons of dark LN mangas in japan and im pretty sure 90% writers there dont give a shit about controversy in west! cuz in order to reach west they need to make a popular work in japan first!
Jan 14, 2019 5:35 AM

Jun 2015
papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

we got tons of dark LN mangas in japan and im pretty sure 90% writers there dont give a shit about controversy in west! cuz in order to reach west they need to make a popular work in japan first!
There are many stories that were specifically made for the west, not popular in Japan and were released in America first. Not repeating.

im talking about popular releases ! which one of Popular anime,manga,novels, were Controversial just for the sake of being controversial in west?
Jan 14, 2019 7:00 AM
Dec 2014
papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

I have seen interviews of authors (LN in particular) saying yes (GS author recently). Controversy and sex = $$$

Remove these themes from Shield Hero and it gets barely any attention from the west. Same with GS. You're making the same argument that has been regurgitated for some time now. The west has influence and it grows bigger each year. First of all, it’s important to note that the West does matter to anime/manga production and distribution. This shouldn’t have to be refuted; after all, works wouldn’t be marketed to the West if we didn’t matter. And there are many examples, this means authors/creators keep in mind what works domestically and what can garnish more attention and money internationally.

Look at the year by year data from the Association of Japanese Animations and Manga. LNs release in the West and are successful, you even got anime airing in the west before Japan in some cases. SJ's decision to move their content for an online subscription is a move that is more catered to the west. Studios are signing up with Amazon, Netflix and other companies. I am not saying the west audience is more important but saying creators don't care about the west or saying they don't specifically target controversy to get popular is absurd.

If you remove the controversial themes from Shield Hero, there wouldn't be much discussion about it here, just like GS. In the space of days after its first episode aired, more people knew about it and flocked to it based on the controversy (just like Sheild Hero), that's what sells. You can tell the intent behind it by looking at how its written into the story.

Quick edit: Of course they don't care about crybaby SJWs and their rants or much criticism from the west, but they care about their attention and $$$.

Everyone who dreams of becoming big as an author care about attention and $$$. First you'd have to understand that this was written as a web novel in 2012. If you don't understand what that means, it means that it is free, non-professional, and in Japanese language.

They have a website (or maybe several of them) like wattpad where they submit their novels so it'll be hosted. The Rising of the Shield Hero is not intended to cater to the west.

What happened was:
1. it got popular in the Japanese site in 2013,
2. then it got published as a light novel in 2013,
3. web novel translators picked up the web novel for english translation around 2014,
4. and then it got its light novel licensed by one peace books in 2015 and released the first light novel volume on September 2015 which around that time the main story in the web novel was already done with 378 chapters along with the spear hero spin-off with 700+ chapters.

So you're telling me a novel that already finished its main story before it got its first published volume got translated and released to the west was catering to the west? The main story was already done before the west started to notice it lol.

Here is an interview with the author with One Peace Books dated September 3, 2015. SOURCE

A short interview with Aneko Yusagi - Author of The Rising of the Shield Hero by One Peace Books

Question 1: When did you first get the idea to combine gaming with writing a light novel?

Answer 1: I had the idea for a while before I started posting on a popular internet site called "shosetsuka ni narou." But before I decided to post my writing, I'd thought I was writing to too niche of a genre to receive much attention.

Note: Aneko's posts to the website referenced above received millions of views before they were collected and published in print.

Question 2: Where does the inspiration for your characters come from? Are the characters inspired by people who exist in your life?

Answer 2: My concept of the original heroes (Naofumi, Motoyasu, Ren, Itsuki) were mostly inspired by the protagonists of stories I'd read. I tried to think about characters I'd felt a connection to from an objective standpoint, then wrote about the characters from the impression I'd gotten from that line of thinking. Other characters were built out of an attempt to symbolize some character ideas I had, with some rearranging here and there.

I don't typically model characters on people I know, though the only exceptions are some of the enemy characters. There are some enemies that are very unreasonable and violent--I based them on some people I know.

Question 3: What are some of the books that inspire you?

Answer 3: I was most inspired by online games, specifically by a defense-specialized crusader character in "Ragnarok Online." It is a very powerful and dependable class, but it's virtually impossible to level one up without a party.

As for books specifically, I like to read slice-of-life mangas, or manga that feature animal protagonists.

Question 4: The main character, Naofumi, displays conflicting moral tones. He seems considerate yet often crass at the same time, to down right immoral as well, as with his laissez faire attitude toward slavery. Could you explain your intention by creating a character with rapidly wavering moral tones?

Answer 4: I like to think of Naofumi like a mirror. He responds to kindness with kindness, and to evil with evil. Like a shard from a broken mirror, he has some pointy edges, but in the end he's a sympathetic character who cares for others.

As for purchasing a slave, he was forced to do it because of his situation--he needed help from others in a time and place where no one would help him. In the modern world, were people are moved and controlled by money, company employees have a lot in common with slaves.

It is preferable to have morals, but we've made a world were the strictly ethical can no longer survive. There are a lot of people out there that simply don't respond to ethics--in the face of people like that, what option is left besides emotionally insisting on your place and your views? My intention is to show that, in the face of enemies like that, we often have no choice but to launch a counterattack.
Huex3Jan 14, 2019 7:05 AM
Jan 14, 2019 7:22 AM

Jun 2015
papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

im talking about popular releases ! which one of Popular anime,manga,novels, were Controversial just for the sake of being controversial in west?
Well for starters, GS, the author said it in a interview. Are we done?

ive seen couple of interviews from him but didn't see the one that he says he made it controversial for westerners sake, can u give me the source?
Jan 14, 2019 8:13 AM

Jun 2013
Oh man the other heroes are a bunch of assholes and don't even get me started on Myne what a bitch
Jan 14, 2019 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

Mind showing these links to those sources? Not just for the GS author.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 14, 2019 6:01 PM

Jul 2014
Are the people of that world mentally handicapped? It's a game-like "real" world set in medieval times, that means the teams are made up of various classes including a tank, what is more shields could be and were used as, not solely, but a weapon nonetheless. In Naofumi's case, he's a legendary tank with a multipurpose shield, one couldn't feel safer than being in his team. All ranged dps and healers should fight each other to be in his team... Although I have to admit, Naofumi's kinda a fool himself
Jan 15, 2019 5:47 PM

Jul 2012
I have a lot of complaints, but I'll hold off of that. I can ignore all the small stuff if the execution is good. Luckily, I've heard a lot of good things about this.

Really glad this was a 1-hour episode, because ending at the halfway point would have left a lot of people really upset, including myself haha.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the OP and ED, and more of Kevin Penkin's OST, and especially meeting raccoon girl in the next episode!
Jan 16, 2019 12:47 AM
Nov 2018
vipergod said:
papsoshea said:

ive seen couple of interviews from him but didn't see the one that he says he made it controversial for westerners sake, can u give me the source?
That shut him up fast.
Jan 16, 2019 1:35 AM

Jan 2017
There are literally dozens of shows like this out there. This one stands out by having pretty good character animation and great voice acting.

For the most part it reminded me of how MMORPG players bitch because they keep getting punked for picking the wrong character class or playing it wrong--even if there are mountains of research available on the internet how to build a successful character.

He even got robbed by a super helpful character joining his party... like anyone couldn't see that coming.

Either way, summoning uncooperative assholes and hapless idiots to save your world from unimaginable ruin seems ill advised.
Jan 16, 2019 2:01 AM
Sep 2016
Good and good and good
Jan 16, 2019 4:33 AM
Jan 2018
Where's episode 2???? Is it today or
Jan 16, 2019 10:20 AM

Sep 2011
I like this way better than some guy on some series getting all the girls instantly.

I wish he'd become an avenger who would turn against that country.

Jan 16, 2019 1:01 PM

Nov 2011
Hoenstly the first half was generic, predictable, and honestly boring. However that second half was MUCH better. Mainly because Naofumi became a man and not a little bitch of a MC.

Also Tanuki girl? Hell yes I am in for this one.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 16, 2019 2:15 PM
Jan 2016
i just fucking knew that bitch is up to something because of that book naufumi reading in that library.
man it also teaches you that face is not everything you know
he just got fucking catfished
Jan 16, 2019 9:42 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode. I like the story of underdog MC contrast to edgy chara. Seems the empire is dumb to believe that the hero is charged of attempt. But I understand that to give the series some good plot and objectives in the future. Looking forward next episode.

Jan 17, 2019 2:18 AM

Feb 2018
Is the world they summoned to real or game or is it uncleared?
Jan 17, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2008
Well at first I thought it was quite boring and typical RPG fanfare, which I don't mind since I love the genre...and then the twist happened. Granted I saw it coming but I quite enjoyed the fallout. Especially how the other 3 heroes acted.

So I will be looking forward to this one every week.
Jan 17, 2019 10:25 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
revyHOLiC said:
I hope each episode 50 minutes long.

We both know it doesnt work like that...
But the feeling is the same, this was a nice long 45 minutes.
I have heard about the series name many times before, but I never knew even the sypnosis, so this was all new for me.

And what a wonderful surprise it is, I like the setting quite alot, the MC is cool, there is alot of promise here, and the fact he cant attack, as to defend and have others attacking will certain lead to alot of interesting developments.
Once I catch up with ep2, I may even go and read the LN, after I get done with Index OT LNs.
What a nice surprise this series is.
Jan 18, 2019 12:50 AM
Mar 2018
is it just me or does this production look dated? Like there are anime's that are almost 10 years old now and they look better...
Jan 18, 2019 9:03 AM

Feb 2017
wtf is this, this is worse than indonesian serial tv drama in term of hateful feeling with the situation and certain character.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jan 18, 2019 1:28 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I can totally confirm my Immersiviness this early on, but that doesn't guarantee that the show will probably remain this exciting in its entire run, when I pressed the play button, I was expecting to see another generic Isekai show but I was greeted with something a bit refreshing and more intense and I'm glad for that.
I love this semi-rebel hero that will have to clear out his name and eventually get all the people's cheers in the end, hopefully, it's these stories where you have to basically start from the ground up that set up for great from-zero-to-hero plots. And I love it even more than they had to put him into such a degenerate picture and humiliate him in front of the public, of course, it was frustrating, but I'm sure it will be worth it once he's at the top and has everybody else swallow the words they have given him.
As for that manipulative slut, yes, that stereotypical does exist and it frustrates the shit out of me, even more, knowing that.
I kind of sense that there will be some controversy between the summoned heroes, probably a split up where some of them will have to choose one part eventually and end up in fighting each other.
Jan 19, 2019 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
I had high expectations from this ep because of the hype, not interesting enough to get me hooked but I already like the mc. I hope this will be the first isekai that will get me invested.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Jan 20, 2019 1:18 AM

Jun 2009
OST of this show is fucking sick.
Jan 20, 2019 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
"Believe all women!"

Started off pretty generically, but that was a strong first episode plot twist. The way they portrayed his frustration for getting caught for something he didn't do was good. Nice to see he's not just some wimpy MC who gives up immediately or repeats stupid mistakes.

From false rape accusations to next episode with slavery, I'm curious to see where this anime will lead to. Daring to address controversial topics without backing down on it is what I like about anime.
Jan 21, 2019 5:12 PM

Oct 2014
Eh. I can't believe this anime is ranked above Dororo :') nothing really stood out this episode, it was just nice how he even threw the few coins he had at Myne and that guy. Though it surprised me a little that he would even consider following that shady character;;
Jan 22, 2019 3:21 AM
Dec 2018
I like it how he lost everything
Jan 22, 2019 11:51 AM
Dec 2015
I read the manga (no spoilers, don't worry) and I feel like there are something that the anime could have done better in the first episode. I feel like there was a lot of foreshadowing that was done to suggest shit was going to go down, and also really portraying Myne as a back stabber. The manga didn't do that like the anime is. Another thing is that I feel that details of the world that were revealed later in the manga are revealed too early in the anime. I feel like those details that later have a punch in the manga are going to feel weak in the anime once we realize why those details are relevant.

Jan 25, 2019 12:10 AM

Mar 2017
good that the betreyal meme with the girl happened early on as I thought it was later in the series. other than that, I feel like the male Mordred douchebag deserved more or atleast the same amount of hate
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jan 25, 2019 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, so much going on in the first episode. Good use of foreshadow. I can't think of a single character that was unbelievable. It really took me on a journey though Naofumes character transformation, and a pretty big one for just one episode. Almost felt like I was there. I felt his anger and despair.

Here's hoping that the series actually has an ending. Pls pls pls, don't trip at the finish line.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Jan 25, 2019 9:28 PM
Jan 2019
Kirishiba said:
Is the world they summoned to real or game or is it uncleared?
The simple benchmark of reality of the world is people dying when they get killed.
In fact, this is one of my issues with another, older, isekai that is currently getting a lot of traction - Log Horizon.

Orochimaru9 said:
Wow, so much going on in the first episode. Good use of foreshadow. I can't think of a single character that was unbelievable. It really took me on a journey though Naofumes character transformation, and a pretty big one for just one episode. Almost felt like I was there. I felt his anger and despair.

Here's hoping that the series actually has an ending. Pls pls pls, don't trip at the finish line.

It'll probably have a decent seasonal stopping point. I don't think they'll be able to actually wrap up the story, though.
Jan 26, 2019 4:07 AM

Mar 2017
I can definitely see why this anime is so popular among a certain group of people. I don't like how the only way the main character is made "likeable", is by making every other person in existance a fucking scumbag.

I actually have a lot to say about this anime, but I don't wanna be insulted by raging fans, so I'll leave it at that. The visuals and sound are pretty good and I'll continue watching for now.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2019

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.