Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 2016
ahneeme said:
this is definately a romcom written for the male demographic

Not really considering it'a popular among females.
Jan 12, 2019 10:43 AM

Nov 2018
ahneeme said:

All genders are prone to over-over-overthinking.
Jan 12, 2019 10:45 AM

Nov 2018
SeaweedSage said:
ahneeme said:

All genders are prone to over-over-overthinking.

Yeah i totally see myself in kaguya
Jan 12, 2019 10:47 AM

Dec 2014
Ooh my this was so intense...but still pretty sad...just confess you two
Jan 12, 2019 10:54 AM

May 2015
I've been so excited and worried at the same time for this wondering how they'd adapt it and now that its finally here I can say I'm impressed! The production is so good, you can tell they put so much thought into it. I wasn't too keen on the seiyuu when I heard them in the trailer but honestly after hearing them throughout the episode I think they're great. I never realised how much of the manga was narration until the narrator is speaking for most of the episode though.

It's been a good few years since I started the manga so it's nice that all the first few chapters that get animated will feel pretty fresh to me. I'm excited for more characters to be introduced though (our lord and saviour Ishigami) because that's when Kaguya-sama is at its best, imo.

And as everyone mentioned, can Crunchyroll not sub "Fujiwara" as "Chika" or "President" as "Shirogane". That's really annoying.

♡ artist
サコ
Jan 12, 2019 10:57 AM

Mar 2017
Pretty good adaptation so far! Of course I knew all the jokes beforehand, so I didn't really laugh... but the anime looks great, and I think most voice actors are pretty fitting. I imagined Shirogane's voice to be different, but it's not so jarring that I can't get used to it. I like the narrator, although my favorite narrator will still be the one from Kaiji. :P

The OP is pretty cool. I definitely recommend sticking with this one! I haven't read a whole lot of the manga, but the quality stays the same (or gets even better) for quite a while! It's called the "Death Note of RomCom's" for a reason.

/edit: And of course like others mentioned, the subtitles are pretty annoying... but not so much so they ruin it or anything, I think.
Jan 12, 2019 11:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it might feel to skit-like when they have to cram multiple chapters into every episode like this, considering that the manga is very episodic for the most part. Kinda like what happened with Takagi-san's adaptation

But nevertheless I've always loved this series so that won't take too much away from it

And yes CR subs are stupid
Jan 12, 2019 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
I found myself laughing way too hard in this episode alone.
Jan 12, 2019 11:37 AM

Jul 2014
Having so far read the first 2 volumes of the manga I had some idea of what to expect, but this episode still surpassed my expectations in many ways. First, when reading the manga I struggled to imagine how each battle would last for more than a few minutes, but this episode did a good job of refuting that concern. Then there's the choice to not adapt the battles in order, which at least for the first two volumes (can't speak for after that) doesn't really matter; they chose some great battles for this first episode really. That does of course leave the question of whether they'll skip any of the battles or not, and honestly there are a couple from those first two volumes that probably could be skipped without issue.

So far all the VAs are on point, especially Kaguya's who perfectly captures both of her wildly different sides with ease. The visuals also really help to elevate the material and make it even more entertaining. And then there's the OP, which is a fantastic song but is also completely insane from a visual standpoint.

If the show keeps this up (and I know it can for at least 2 volumes worth of content (which, at 3 chapters an episode, would be around 6 episodes (assuming a couple get cut at least and assuming they keep this pacing up)), it's already looking like my runaway winner of AOTS.
Jan 12, 2019 11:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Lol the intro on love and its negative side effects. Damm that OP song and the visuals were the perfect match. Hmm Kaguya and Miyuki sure are pretty talented. Their little game with the movie sure was amusing as it was as much a battle between feelings and a battle between their brains. If anything the battle with the love letter was even better than the first battle due to Kaguya's dramatic acting ability. Chika really add's a lot to the daily battles between the two due to her personality An excellent first ep that did well to not just introduce Miyuki and Kaguya but also the games that they both play in order to force the other to confess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2019 11:42 AM

Aug 2015
I still think Spice and Wolf has better psychological battle romantic banter, but I'll keep watching to see if it gets better. At least the guy in this isn't a complete doormat like in so many similar series.
Jan 12, 2019 11:47 AM

Dec 2014
ahneeme said:

It's actually a really well balanced romance story, it terms of how much in depth the author goes in showing what each character is thinking and how their thought process works. While sometimes they act over the top ofc as it's a comedy manga. I wouldn't call it josei for obvious reasons, but it definitely doesn't have males as the only target.
Jan 12, 2019 11:52 AM
Nov 2018
Really good start, Kaguya is a beauty and Shirogane wants her badly so this will be a great experience.
Jan 12, 2019 11:59 AM

Apr 2014
Dunno if I'm the only one, but the voices for Shirogane and Kaguya sounded off by a lot. Both of them sounded a little too old for their roles. Also, the OP was kinda... Ridiculous.
The rest of it surpassed my expectations, especially the directing. Decent, well paced episode overall.
Jan 12, 2019 12:01 PM

Aug 2014
Koga Aoi is perfect as Kaguya in every way. Visuals are great, hopefully they can keep up the quality for the rest of the season. OP is pretty good, very catchy. OST is a bit off if i'm being honest, but not actively detracting from the show. The earlier chapters aren't as strong as the later ones, but it seems pretty well liked in Japan, so maybe we'll get a season 2.

Kinda disappointed at the subs though, they don't remotely compare to the manga TL.
InsertanamehereJan 12, 2019 1:25 PM
Jan 12, 2019 12:02 PM

Feb 2013
ahneeme said:

It's published on Young Jump which is a seinen magazine so yeah, it is.
Jan 12, 2019 12:09 PM
Sep 2018
Shirogane got the lead xD.This anime is giving me seitokai yukindomo vibes Haha. AND LOOK LIKE WE GOT BEST GIRL TOO EARLY THIS SEASON FUJIWARA CHIKA (KINDA HOT).
Jan 12, 2019 12:15 PM

Feb 2013
Anathor said:
ahneeme said:

It's actually a really well balanced romance story, it terms of how much in depth the author goes in showing what each character is thinking and how their thought process works. While sometimes they act over the top ofc as it's a comedy manga. I wouldn't call it josei for obvious reasons, but it definitely doesn't have males as the only target.

Demography is decided by where the manga is published, regardless of the content or how the mangaka makes the characters, story and all. In this case, it's a seinen manga as it's published on Young Jump.

Jan 12, 2019 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
Fun show. I think I'm in the minority though as far as the look of the show. Didn't care for all of the cheap production techniques.
Jan 12, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2014
caio_brb said:
Anathor said:

Demography is decided by where the manga is published, regardless of the content or how the mangaka makes the characters, story and all. In this case, it's a seinen manga as it's published on Young Jump.

That is the magazine target yeah, however the author can write it's characters in ways that attract different types of readers (to get a bigger response from weekly popularity polls or bigger sales). The way this is written is not only looking at male readers as the target imo.
Jan 12, 2019 12:28 PM

Jun 2014
I had no idea what to expect going into this, and didnt know much about it when I decided to pick it up. I really liked this first episode though, especially the dynamic between the 2 leads and the narration. This was better than I expected it to be.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 12, 2019 12:30 PM
Nov 2018
I'm pretty doubtful of heroin voice actress first but now I think she's perfect BTW great episode lol
Jan 12, 2019 12:31 PM

Jul 2015
I started reading the manga back in December 2015 when it had like 9 chapters out, very quickly after that I fell absolutely in love with it and became my favorite work ever, after months and months of waiting I can't believe that the time to finally seeing it animated arrived, and man that was great.

Fantastic directing, lots of laughs and such awesome characters, between this and Neverland I feel so blessed this season. I can't wait to watch more!
Jan 12, 2019 12:33 PM

Jul 2014
Great start for one of the top contender of AOTS!
Glad they adapted the bento part than the earlier ones, I personally liked it.
The OP is so fcking catchy!
*A dangerous game only for the 2 of us, love is war, love is war, love is waaaar*

Kaguya's VA delivered those lines perfectly, especially the "Thats definitely a NO for a young lady, such a choice is a NO" so freaking adorable.
That being said, WTF was with the subs? Kaguya calls Shirogane as *President* not Shirogane.
Jan 12, 2019 12:39 PM
Sep 2015
Well, that was fun. Fun directing, animation and interactions. Still Kaguya was annoying when she was acting "cute" and her "How cute" got old pretty fast. I heard it gets repeated a lot so I am not looking forward to that. Also senpai sounds way to old. And are they supposed to be smart? These are soma basic mind games that make me question there pedigree. I could guess half of things they were gonna say or do. Also hope that in next episodes they give jokes chance to breath.
Jan 12, 2019 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
AnimaticLunatic said:
Well, that was fun. Fun directing, animation and interactions. Still Kaguya was annoying when she was acting "cute" and her "How cute" got old pretty fast. I heard it gets repeated a lot so I am not looking forward to that. Also senpai sounds way to old. And are they supposed to be smart? These are soma basic mind games that make me question there pedigree. I could guess half of things they were gonna say or do. Also hope that in next episodes they give jokes chance to breath.

Well one q&a did go;

Questioner: Geniuses?
Aka: I'm sorry.

https://puu.sh/CvGGn/f0b9fe70a9.png
InsertanamehereJan 12, 2019 1:07 PM
Jan 12, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2008
Tone the fucking narration down. It's even worse when the narrator keeps repeating the same damn thing over and over again. Once is enough, let their expressions and actions do the narrating. On a side note, Kaguya is kind of a cunt. If it wasn't for her screwing up this episode would be jarring instead of rather funny. Well, so far looks like a keeper, it's not like there's much to watch this season anyway.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 12, 2019 1:06 PM

Sep 2011
Man they did a fantastic job with this, great use of music and imagery to enhance the humor and style the series was going for, the narrator, in particular, deserves props. Also the small anime only joke of president using scotch tape on the broken pen only for it to break again was great.

ProofByColor said:
Gnop2 said:

It's even worse when you take into account that (without giving any spoilers) the way they call eachother comes into play later, so both of those dumb translating choices are definitely going to come back to bite them in the ass.

I haven't read this but I figured something like that would happen as they become closer. Ah well, I should be able to pick it up by ear anyway.
sort of, the problem is its not just a nice little reminder of character development, its the center gag of a few really funny chapters, granted this series only being 12 episodes means they wont reach them most likley, but still.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 12, 2019 1:10 PM

Aug 2014
JizzyHitler said:
ProofByColor said:

I haven't read this but I figured something like that would happen as they become closer. Ah well, I should be able to pick it up by ear anyway.
sort of, the problem is its not just a nice little reminder of character development, its the center gag of a few really funny chapters, granted this series only being 12 episodes means they wont reach them most likley, but still.

It might get a second season, it seems pretty popular in Japan if you count twitter trends as a reliable measure of popularity. Which means the official subs are going to look pretty ridiculous when it gets to a certain point about names.

The subbers seem to be trying to emulate the rather mediocre Viz official TL, which pales pretty badly in comparison to the excellent fan TL. I'm really hoping some fansubbers pick it up and use the latters TL's of the gags because the subs really kind of dropped the ball here, despite everything else.
Jan 12, 2019 1:16 PM
Mar 2014
I've known about the manga for awhile now. I don't normally like this type of anime but this was a good first episode
Jan 12, 2019 1:17 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Current translation is not saying How Cute... my only slighy disappointment.
Otherwise, a perfect adaptation, not too overkill, they just nailed it.

I love that OP for sure, it would be great if this was a 2 cour though, otherwise, the manga is the best romcom outhere, and this might just be the best adaptation it could ever have!

MetaThPr4h said:

Fantastic directing, lots of laughs and such awesome characters, between this and Neverland I feel so blessed this season. I can't wait to watch more!

Agreed, I waited years, and only started to read Kagura recently in December, since it had alot of chapters out and there was an anime coming, the same logic I applied to Neverland (but started this one December 31).
Kagura-sama is for me a much better manga, and this adaptation made the first episode justice, but also Neverland, the adaptation for that one is surpassing IMO the manga... after an amazing anime year 2018 was, 2019 is starting on all cillinders!!
BarnaldJan 16, 2019 7:21 AM
Jan 12, 2019 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
Insertanamehere said:
JizzyHitler said:

It might get a second season, it seems pretty popular in Japan if you count twitter trends as a reliable measure of popularity. Which means the official subs are going to look pretty ridiculous when it gets to a certain point about names.

The subbers seem to be trying to emulate the rather mediocre Viz official TL, which pales pretty badly in comparison to the excellent fan TL. I'm really hoping some fansubbers pick it up and use the latters TL's of the gags because the subs really kind of dropped the ball here, despite everything else.
I'd hope for a 2nd season but its always safer to just sort of look at the glass half full in these cases, so many weird fucking never ever season 2's even when the manga and anime both sold incredibly well like the forsaken nozaki season 2.

And yeah the subs are gonna look really dumb if it gets to the chapters in question, shame cause they are really funny ones.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 12, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
JizzyHitler said:
Insertanamehere said:

I'd hope for a 2nd season but its always safer to just sort of look at the glass half full in these cases, so many weird fucking never ever season 2's even when the manga and anime both sold incredibly well like the forsaken nozaki season 2.

And yeah the subs are gonna look really dumb if it gets to the chapters in question, shame cause they are really funny ones.

Not sure how the sales compare but if Golden Kamuy can get a s2, then this has good chances too. Although if the manga ends soon(depends on how much the author wants to continue after this latest arc), there are even less chances of getting s2.
Jan 12, 2019 2:11 PM

Apr 2015
Antanaru said:
Tone the fucking narration down. It's even worse when the narrator keeps repeating the same damn thing over and over again. Once is enough, let their expressions and actions do the narrating. On a side note, Kaguya is kind of a cunt. If it wasn't for her screwing up this episode would be jarring instead of rather funny. Well, so far looks like a keeper, it's not like there's much to watch this season anyway.

The narrator is pretty much copy paste from the manga (Script-wise with every character)

It was Chika (Fujiwara), the parasyte and troll that ruins everything.
Jan 12, 2019 2:12 PM

Dec 2014
Well, it is interesting and boring at the same time.

Interesting part is the only strategic to make the other confess.

Boring part is male always has upperhand while female always has the 'otome kokoro' and carving much more love than the male.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jan 12, 2019 2:12 PM

Mar 2010
OP is pretty decent though after Kakegurui's anyone would be hard pressed to match up to that.

The first episode was fun, nothing really made me laugh out loud I was chuckling throughout it. I especially like the absurd " You're are definitely a human being" punchline.

I do wish the narrator wad less intrusive to overall experience, it's way too frequently and interrupts the flow of the dialogue more than I would like.
Jan 12, 2019 2:20 PM
Apr 2016
Wow such an amazing war. I do believe Kaguya lost twice 😂😂😂
Jan 12, 2019 2:29 PM

Sep 2011
Frostbytes said:
JizzyHitler said:

Not sure how the sales compare but if Golden Kamuy can get a s2, then this has good chances too. Although if the manga ends soon(depends on how much the author wants to continue after this latest arc), there are even less chances of getting s2.

Nah i think the manga has way too many lose ends for it to end soon, maybe like around chapter 200 it might but i don't believe it needs to or plans to end

As for golden kamuy, that was a series i think that was from the start always planned to get a 2nd season, which would be a nice little surprise for kaguya cause i do think they were banking on it doing well.
JizzyHitlerJan 12, 2019 2:32 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 12, 2019 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
JizzyHitler said:
Frostbytes said:

Nah i think the manga has way too many lose ends for it to end soon, maybe like around chapter 200 it might but i don't believe it needs to or plans to

As for golden kamuy, that was a series i think that was from the start always planned to get a 2nd season, which would be a nice little surprise for kaguya cause i do think they were banking on it doing well.

I know, but saying this depends on how much the author wants to continue. Those few loose ends(some of them you listed aren't compulsory) shouldn't take that much time once this arc ends.
Jan 12, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
Finally a decent romcom and romance anime in general got adapted. The last good one was Wotakoi.
Jan 12, 2019 2:50 PM

Oct 2018
Other than the butchered subs, it was a perfect episode.
Jan 12, 2019 3:02 PM

Dec 2015
Humor in this is top notch I can’t stop laughing
Jan 12, 2019 3:08 PM
Jan 2018
this feeling..
this warm.. damn
finally found the best romcom
-1 for the subtitle btw
PurpleramonJan 12, 2019 3:13 PM
Jan 12, 2019 3:23 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
I'm just here to say what everyone else has said: excellent adaptation, great first episode, nice job with the subtitles.
Jan 12, 2019 3:23 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I was expecting this to be garbage since I assume A-1 would be pooling most of their money to SAO. But holy crap, this is actually really good! I wonder how far it'll go? It's most likely not going to be too far.
Jan 12, 2019 3:41 PM

Jul 2015
wow they got my attention with that first episode
its pretty cute overall
art is solid
opening is catchy
show has some unique quirks to it

Well...
Jan 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Jul 2013
It was decent, but I wish they'd stop over-explaining and reiterating. It's not rocket science, I don't need an in-depth breakdown of what just happened.
Jan 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Jan 2009
aLotQuestion_ said:
Boring part is male always has upperhand while female always has the 'otome kokoro' and carving much more love than the male.

Oh, don't you worry. This is just coincidence - this battle is _very_ balanced :)
Jan 12, 2019 4:18 PM

Jan 2008
Was definitely more fun for me with the voice acting and animation compared to the manga. Food part was probably my favorite of the episode.
Jan 12, 2019 4:21 PM

Jun 2017
love the manga. hate the anime opening music
"Gradually Watermelon"
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2019

296 by Intter »»
Apr 14, 11:26 AM

» Misattribution of arousal

egosumjohn - Apr 7

11 by Aruhaya »»
Apr 14, 11:13 AM

» I laugh as hard in this series as gintama 🤣

Jannie7 - Mar 31

38 by xDemi »»
Apr 1, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2019

246 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2019

260 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.