Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 10, 2019 10:38 PM
Jul 2017
I’ll definitely check this out. I was tricked by the cover art too, much like what re:Zero and made in Abyss did. I wasn’t even anticipating them because they looked like cute characters doing cute things or any other isekai, but many people started talking about them so I checked them out and they ended up being my favorite anime’s of their seasons. I gonna give this show a chance too, and maybe it will surprise me. And it’s gonna be 25 episodes? That leads room for lots of good developments. I’ll watch it.
Jan 11, 2019 6:04 AM

Aug 2018
papsoshea said:
Pontic said:
For everyone new to Shield Hero, I beg you, please give this show a shot. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't. This show is deep with real world connotations and a firm grasp on the meaning of isolation and hatred. As the show continues, the characters actually grow and the main character is FAR from overpowered. I've skimmed the discussions and read the opinions of those who judge books by covers and my heart has been broken. While Isekai is not for everyone, this breaks away from the mold while still maintaining a familiar isekai-ness, and if you keep with it, I believe this could be the isekai that scratches your fantasy itch.
What a load of shit lol the first 10 minutes of this series punches you in the face with all the cliches that could ever exist in an isekai. It's just another isekai story that has been called AOTS or AOTY based off its first episode. For this anime's case, we are 11 days into 2019 which makes the AOTY remarks even more cringe-worthy.

If you only watched 10 minutes then that's were you messed up, it literally is trash generic isekai up until around the 15 minute point, but after that is where it gets good. Also, anyone who has the audacity to make an AOTY remark is kinda full of themself, those should only be around December, not to mention we have many other good shows this year. On the contrary, however, I personally believe that when compared to shows like mob psycho 2, dororo, and the promised neverland, good arguments could be made for and against each show being AOTS.

Tl;dr:1st ten minutes of anime ARE generic, no one should say AOTY but after 10 mins of anime, Aots is possible.

EDIT: while 15 mins is where the 1st episode starts to break away from generic isekai, it doesn't become majorly different until the 35 minute mark, up until this point it's a bunch of mechanical differences, like weapons or who wants to join his party.
Yotus Yeetus commit self-deletus
Jan 11, 2019 7:11 AM

Mar 2011
ap1001 said:

Look you want to like the series, its fine, watered down Monte Cristo power fantasy is not yet saturated in anime form. But if I want to scratch the fantasy itch, I would recommend Log horizon before recommending Shield hero.

Yeah, I have to watch more of it.
Shield bro seemed quite rushed at the start introducing the audience to various things, but overall vibe I get from it is just Log Horizon or better.
Jan 11, 2019 7:36 AM

Mar 2011
papsoshea said:
Pontic said:
For everyone new to Shield Hero, I beg you, please give this show a shot. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't. This show is deep with real world connotations and a firm grasp on the meaning of isolation and hatred. As the show continues, the characters actually grow and the main character is FAR from overpowered. I've skimmed the discussions and read the opinions of those who judge books by covers and my heart has been broken. While Isekai is not for everyone, this breaks away from the mold while still maintaining a familiar isekai-ness, and if you keep with it, I believe this could be the isekai that scratches your fantasy itch.
What a load of shit lol the first 10 minutes of this series punches you in the face with all the cliches that could ever exist in an isekai. It's just another isekai story that has been called AOTS or AOTY based off its first episode. For this anime's case, we are 11 days into 2019 which makes the AOTY remarks even more cringe-worthy.

Based on the first episode we have some candidates for AOTS and this is one of them as far as I've seen.
Oh and isekai along with sports are the better genres out of the formulaic ones (yeah including those garbage red-haired soulless shoujo-wannabe written in the sterile young-adult style).
Jan 11, 2019 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
@Pontic Weasel out? I hate to break it to you, but it is your fault for misreading it in the first place. It was always there, you just chose to ignore it.

The male slave has barely any screen time outside Raphitalia's arc. For the most of the story (up until where I've read) he barely exists at all, while the female slaves are prominently featured.

I bring up the age because it breaks suspension of disbelief for me, effectively making the story worse. Other bad examples existing doesn't make this one any less bad.

The topic is under anime discussion on an anime forum and I'm not allowed to bring up the anime? Your logic is flawless. If you want to criticize my arguments on the LN, then criticize my LN arguments, not anime ones.

Because you seemed so worried, I went to the episode and checked his actual phrasing. The direct translation is... (drumroll please)
Unlikable MC said:
Besides, this princess is a bitch.

So instead of calling her a slut, he calls her a bitch and I remind you, this is solely based on an extremely vague drawing of her. So are you seriously saying that calling random woman you know nothing about a bitch not sexist?

I'm not American, so don't expect me to feel any sympathy just because some famous guy over there owned slaves. Not to mention, the MC here doesn't even have the excuse of having been raised in that kind of culture to make him think it's okay.

@VeryLTTP So basically you're saying that if you choose ignore words from my sentence you're right? Sounds like fun. Let me try too. From your earlier post
VeryLTTP said:
Implications, themselves, are not absolute and have a level of uncertainty according to the word's definition.

Look, if I ignore words from your sentence too, I can make you spout nonsense.
NthDegreeJan 11, 2019 10:58 AM
Jan 11, 2019 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
Pontic said:
bro the first episode of This anime is amazing i AM a new fan thank God it isn't One of those terrible isekai anime that are full of ecchi or harem ,the shield hero is good it is One of the best anime of the season so far
Jan 11, 2019 12:16 PM

Aug 2018
Ok everyone, I'm sure we are all tired of NthDegree's shit so how about we ignore him and not @him so he leaves us alone
Jan 11, 2019 12:19 PM

Aug 2018
Nonetheless, NthDegree's argument is the same as calling a steak vegetarian because it was served with onions (see I'm not @ ing him)
Jan 11, 2019 12:46 PM
Jan 2014
NthDegree said:

The topic is under anime discussion on an anime forum and I'm not allowed to bring up the anime? Your logic is flawless. If you want to criticize my arguments on the LN, then criticize my LN arguments, not anime ones.

Because you seemed so worried, I went to the episode and checked his actual phrasing. The direct translation is... (drumroll please)
Unlikable MC said:
Besides, this princess is a bitch.

So instead of calling her a slut, he calls her a bitch and I remind you, this is solely based on an extremely vague drawing of her. So are you seriously saying that calling random woman you know nothing about a bitch not sexist?

@NthDegree Considering that you're using a sentence that the studio producing the anime adapted from Naofumi reading a short description paragraph of what Mayne ends up doing in the whole story, (pitting the heroes against each other, seeding distrust and going with her own agenda) to him just looking at the book's content, a vague picture and whatever text there is, to say she looks like a bitch or slut, whichever you prefer, to point out that he is slut-shaming and that "indirectly" the mc and author are sexist, sounds like a stretch, if anything, the author's portrayal of the situation got distorted, blame it on the studio.

It would be the same as you telling a friend something, and that same person not being able to replicate the message, passes it on to someone else slightly distorted, which ends up creating controversy between you and the third person, just because the third person didn't bother to talk with you first to make sure what he heard was right.

You can go around and point out different parts of the story that might make you feel like there's a sexist message or character or might point out towards the author upholding those sexist values, but using the slut shaming part honestly feels like a weak stretch since it's not even properly adapted portrayal of the character the author intended to have for the story.

Jan 11, 2019 12:51 PM

Aug 2018
Pontic said:
Ok everyone, I'm sure we are all tired of NthDegree's shit so how about we ignore him and not @him so he leaves us alone

Dammit @Codexys you @ d NthDegree!
Jan 11, 2019 1:02 PM

Dec 2013
Did somebody call meeeee? :DDDD

@Codexys The only thing I said was slut-shaming is sexist and slut-shaming can be partial evidence for sexism. Do you disagree with either of those? Because I haven't argued for anything further than that (about the anime version anyway).

And since I was talking about the anime in that argument, whether it's true to the source material doesn't matter. It is not my stance to use the anime to attack the source material (for that the source material itself is enough lol), but to critique specifically the anime version.
Jan 11, 2019 1:18 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
Did somebody call meeeee? :DDDD

@Codexys The only thing I said was slut-shaming is sexist and slut-shaming can be partial evidence for sexism. Do you disagree with either of those? Because I haven't argued for anything further than that (about the anime version anyway).

And since I was talking about the anime in that argument, whether it's true to the source material doesn't matter. It is not my stance to use the anime to attack the source material (for that the source material itself is enough lol), but to critique specifically the anime version.

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
|.......shut.......|
|.........up........|
|......liberal.....|
|.....................|
| ______|
(\__/) ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ
Jan 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:
@VeryLTTP So basically you're saying...

...that if you choose ignore words from my sentence you're right? Sounds like fun. Let me try too. From your earlier post
VeryLTTP said:
Implications, themselves, are not absolute and have a level of uncertainty according to the word's definition.

Look, if I ignore words from your sentence too, I can make you spout nonsense.

Ah, I see. You were not able to prove that your argument was not a non sequitor, so you decided to play the strawman card. I guess if you can't address the other person's arguments directly, shoot down an argument that the person never made...
Jan 11, 2019 2:23 PM

Dec 2013
@Pontic Lol, that ASCII art is cute, although it doesn't quite show up correctly on my screen. The right side of the speech bubble is all jagged.

@VeryLTTP It is a non sequitor only if you randomly decide to ignore words. It's not my fault you chose to do so.
Jan 11, 2019 2:24 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:
@VeryLTTP It is a non sequitor only if you randomly decide to ignore words. It's not my fault you chose to do so.

You're just asserting without evidence. This is not an argument, whatsoever. If you don't want to address my arguments directly, then just say so.

It's rather suspicious that all of a sudden, you shift your "argument" to me ignoring words. It's also extremely ironic as you're guilty of what you're accusing me of doing, i.e. ignoring Occam's Razor, ignoring the fact that saying "kinda imply" only serves to make your claim exponentially uncertain, and that your original "MC is sexist" claim is reliant on subjective opinion instead of direct observation.
VeryLTTPJan 11, 2019 2:31 PM
Jan 11, 2019 2:39 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:

I might as well jump on this claim as I have come with an alternative counterargument.

Slut-shaming is not sexist because when a person judges a woman's appearance, he/she is doing it within his/her personal standards. Those personal standards are shaped from the principles, opinions, and mannerisms taught to that person from other people, whether they be parents, friends, or the folks of his/her hometown. By definition, culture is the social behavior and norms formed by society. As a result, slut-shaming is more of a product of cultural prejudice than sexism.

Another reason why slut-shaming is not sexist is because this claim relies on the assumptions that slut-shaming exclusively happens against one gender and the slut-shaming is exclusively done by one gender. For your claim to be true, you have to prove that these two assumptions are correct.
Jan 11, 2019 7:25 PM

Aug 2018
papsoshea said:
Genjurooo said:

Based on the first episode we have some candidates for AOTS and this is one of them as far as I've seen.
Oh and isekai along with sports are the better genres out of the formulaic ones (yeah including those garbage red-haired soulless shoujo-wannabe written in the sterile young-adult style).
You can't call anything AOTS candidates based off 1 episode, this is the hype train passenger logic.

-----

Pontic said:

If you only watched 10 minutes then that's were you messed up, it literally is trash generic isekai up until around the 15 minute point, but after that is where it gets good. Also, anyone who has the audacity to make an AOTY remark is kinda full of themself, those should only be around December, not to mention we have many other good shows this year. On the contrary, however, I personally believe that when compared to shows like mob psycho 2, dororo, and the promised neverland, good arguments could be made for and against each show being AOTS.

Tl;dr:1st ten minutes of anime ARE generic, no one should say AOTY but after 10 mins of anime, Aots is possible.

EDIT: while 15 mins is where the 1st episode starts to break away from generic isekai, it doesn't become majorly different until the 35 minute mark, up until this point it's a bunch of mechanical differences, like weapons or who wants to join his party.
I actually, watched the entire first episode and its just another isekai, nothing is different here, it has all the cliches I have already seen multiple times. What I was saying is that within 10 minutes, you saw every cliche and then some. Not sure if your list is legit but it would make sense you have these viewpoints by only watching a small amount of anime.

Well, I had a nice reply comparing shield hero to a generic cliche isekai but I'm too tired to retype it's entirety out. Kinda pissed me off so I'll try to keep it short this time.

Cliche-
Multiple waifus
MC is worshipped
Damsels In distress
Merchant solves finances
Either demon king or royal academy
Demon king usually never actually does anything nor invades the humans at all.
Princess is not a bitch
People trust each other for no reason
MC is OP AT EVERYTHING, his problems are either solved with shit like skill points(death march) or devouring(slime isekai which is good but still has a cop out)

Shield hero-
One/no waifu
MC is fucking despised for the entirety of the beginning
No damsels, just self growth
No demon king who doesn't invade, but a constant threat in the waves.
Princess - total bitch
MC has trust issues, which actually make sense
MC kinda sucks
He can only use the shield which is shit
He has to get a slave to fill in for his weaknesses
Not pointless harem, his companions are only with him because of their usefulness and bond to him.

Also I watch a lot of anime, but I guess I definitely am biased, sad to say, the anime that got me into anime back in 2015 was overlord, then rezero, and now Tate no yuusha no bariatric. Nonetheless, if you haven't read the source material then you're in for a fun surprise by how non binary this isekai's gender is. In the first episode, the shows isekai-ness is in full view, sometimes you have to use cliches and get creative later. Also what other shows have hardcore fuck you over moments for the MC, and I'm not talking shit like the Netorare in berserk, I might like shows where the MC is trash.
Jan 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Sep 2018
papsoshea said:
Everything you wrote is nothing new, c'mon, I know you're a big fanboy of this show but don't pretend its some earth moving piece of media. As for the trust issues thing, just because it makes sense within the story, doesn't mean it is good writing, it's actually nonsensical - just because the world condemns you and distrusts you, it wouldn't make you buy a slave with the idea that it may never betray you. This is one of many examples of bad writing I have seen thus far, the characters aren't written with much logic. I haven't seen Overlord and Re:Zero but by community standards, that isn't saying much since both aren't regarded as good stories overall and a simply loved through more artificial means. Don't mistake me for saying its trash.

Not sure throwing an ad hominem helps your case and in regards to the bolded, that's what we call a moral/ethical dilemma. You may find it to be nonsensical, fair enough, but the idea wasn't written just for the sake of it. Right before the MC met the slave merchant, 3 dudes tried to mug him after "joining" his party. Perhaps you don't see that as a good enough justification for the MC's lack of trust, but the (one of many) reason(s) is there.
Jan 11, 2019 8:35 PM

Sep 2018
papsoshea said:
And those reasons, in my opinion, are just bad writing and seems more like an artificial way to sympathize with a generic MC.

Bad writing and artificial in what way? That the turn of events happened too fast or you just don't see those events happening in real life?
Jan 11, 2019 8:48 PM

Sep 2018
papsoshea said:
The whole design that the world hates the MC because he is the Shield Hero and the events that lead to the ending scene of episode 1 is just shouting "please sympathize" with this generic MC. This is my opinion on what is shown so far, of course, don't get so hung up over it.

Nah, I'm not hung up over it. I was just curious about your thought process.
Jan 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Dec 2013
@VeryLTTP Because you seem to completely miss my point again, how about I explain it to you step-by-step in form of questions? Here comes the first. It may help you if you don't think about these necessarily in the context of Tate but just questions in general.

Can you agree that calling a woman slut/bitch solely based on their appearance is a sexist action?
Jan 12, 2019 5:33 AM

May 2017
NthDegree said:
@VeryLTTP Because you seem to completely miss my point again, how about I explain it to you step-by-step in form of questions? Here comes the first. It may help you if you don't think about these necessarily in the context of Tate but just questions in general.

Can you agree that calling a woman slut/bitch solely based on their appearance is a sexist action?

Nope. That's simply judging based on appearance. I'm not denying it's a bad thing, but it is not sexist.
It's the same thing as calling a guy dressing like a gangster a criminal.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jan 12, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2007
Eanki said:
thepath said:
I hope more and more Isekai anime come out this year. I want haters to suffer

Anime like Log Horizon and Grimgar didn't receive this much backlash. They have their fair share of haters, like any anime, but never this much this strongly on the first episode alone. You could argue that they were from before people got tired of the isekai fare. Fair enough. Let's go look at Slime then. Again, while it had some detractors, it was and still is fairly well received.

Normal.
At theses time, Isekai was not "mainstream".
And Log Horizon is not that much of a "basic" isekai for me.
For Grimgar, i hate the characters but the story itself (with real deaths) is good anyways.

End about your post. ^^
Now my own opinion.
---------------
Anyways for Tate no Yuusha, i loved the manga.
The LN, i didn't tried really ...
But i like the first animation for the moment.
Someone hating it ? Like Re:Zero ? BAH ! Why i have to care ? I'm here to see reactions.
Some will love the anime, some will hate.
The more popular is a anime, the more hate he will generate.
It's always like that. Some on MAL or others sites would even create multiples accounts to vote 0 on popular animes because they would have a better rank than their anime.
I'm already happy to have finally a anime adaptation of this LN and i will see it until the end !
I just want a french publication of the LN ...
Jan 12, 2019 7:26 AM

Mar 2017
ShiroiRyu said:
Eanki said:

Anime like Log Horizon and Grimgar didn't receive this much backlash. They have their fair share of haters, like any anime, but never this much this strongly on the first episode alone. You could argue that they were from before people got tired of the isekai fare. Fair enough. Let's go look at Slime then. Again, while it had some detractors, it was and still is fairly well received.

Normal.
At theses time, Isekai was not "mainstream".
And Log Horizon is not that much of a "basic" isekai for me.
For Grimgar, i hate the characters but the story itself (with real deaths) is good anyways.

Ergo the last line of my post you quoted:

"You could argue that they were from before people got tired of the isekai fare. Fair enough. Let's go look at Slime then. Again, while it had some detractors, it was and still is fairly well received."

Visit Slime's series subforum and have a gander at the thread topics created. It's pretty tame.

copyrightRingo said:
NthDegree said:

Nope. That's simply judging based on appearance. I'm not denying it's a bad thing, but it is not sexist.

Criminal is not gendered though. Slut/Bitch is. I'm not making accusations but it is pretty sad that insults to female characters are gender-specific insults. What happened to the good ol' "idiot" or "asshole". Asshole is gender-neutral and accurate for the caricature villain. Why does it have to be bitch or slut?

Why is it when you call a guy a "whore", you have to specify it as "man-whore"? Why the need to spell out "male-nurse" when we're referring to guys who happens to be nurses. Nurse is fine. Why specify things? Is it because there's a certain set idea of what constitutes the term "nurse"? Why must there be?

Some things to ponder about.
EankiJan 12, 2019 7:33 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 12, 2019 8:11 AM

Jan 2015
Pontic said:
. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't.

It's not at the beginning, then it turns into your usual garbage harem isekai with self-insert edgy MC.

baits you with a different starts then turns absolute garbage. I advise everyone who wants some unique isekai to NOT watch this pile of shit.
Jan 12, 2019 8:15 AM

Sep 2007
Eanki said:

Ergo the last line of my post you quoted:

"You could argue that they were from before people got tired of the isekai fare. Fair enough. Let's go look at Slime then. Again, while it had some detractors, it was and still is fairly well received."

Visit Slime's series subforum and have a gander at the thread topics created. It's pretty tame.

Oh yeah !
I look at it too.
The problem from me is : I like some isekais, so i look theses forums. XD
When Kumo no Desu Ga will be out, that will be the same and the same and the same ...
Anyways, i remember Re:Zero had some reviews at the middle of the season where a lot of viewers began to hate Subaru because of his personnality (crying and stuff) ...
And because he didn't choose the best Waifu.

I think like a lot of series, we need to wait for some episodes, despite the "generic beginning" even if it's not really like that for Tate no Yuusha in my opinion.
I began to be tired of theses OP characters where they appear and boom, they are so strong and stuff (like the demon lord from two or three seasons ago).
Even Slime Tensei, i don't like that much Rimuru, i'm more interested by the villagers ...
Our MC here need others to progress and it's why i like it. :)

Damn, i had so much to write despite i'm bad in english.
Sorry.
ShiroiRyuJan 12, 2019 1:54 PM
Jan 12, 2019 9:04 AM

May 2017
Eanki said:

copyrightRingo said:

Criminal is not gendered though. Slut/Bitch is. I'm not making accusations but it is pretty sad that insults to female characters are gender-specific insults. What happened to the good ol' "idiot" or "asshole". Asshole is gender-neutral and accurate for the caricature villain. Why does it have to be bitch or slut?

Why is it when you call a guy a "whore", you have to specify it as "man-whore"? Why the need to spell out "male-nurse" when we're referring to guys who happens to be nurses. Nurse is fine. Why specify things? Is it because there's a certain set idea of what constitutes the term "nurse"? Why must there be?

Some things to ponder about.

Just a fact, I never refer male nurses "male-nurse". Never heard of that before.
The answer is history. I'm not gonna delve deep into that.
Why does it matter? Why should we care? Do we need to invent more words for "male-specified insults"? Or ban words from the English language? It would be stupid.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jan 12, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2017
copyrightRingo said:
Just a fact, I never refer male nurses "male-nurse". Never heard of that before.
The answer is history. I'm not gonna delve deep into that.
Why does it matter? Why should we care? Do we need to invent more words for "male-specified insults"? Or ban words from the English language? It would be stupid.

Why invent more superfluous words when we can scale down?

Besides, I'm not calling for anything just yet. I'm just wondering why insults hurled at females need to be gendered/rooted in their gender instead of just gender-neutral insults. And it's not just females. Guys too get gendered insults ("pussy", "whipped", "wimp", etc.) that serves to target and undermine their masculinity. Coward is a word. Why not use it? You know, those little things that pop into your head at 2am on a Saturday.
EankiJan 12, 2019 10:23 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 12, 2019 10:24 AM
Aug 2008
Well...I enjoyed that and was left wanting more.

From the start I could see where the story was headed. I suspected things wouldn't go well for the MC from the first scene with the other heroes. Nevertheless, I was curious to discovers how the author was going to introduce the reversal of fortune. When it happened I found it satisfying and got me thinking of how I would handle it if I found myself in such a situation. That's when I knew I'd be watching the rest of this series.

I don't care about genres. I don't care what others think about anime I like. I'd call myself a casual watcher of anime. I've not read a manga in a long time. I like this show so far and look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

One thing I found odd was Myre stating in the Inn, "This country is a matriarchy. No man would ever dare turn down a drink offered by a woman."

I'm wondering if this is a translation error. It sounds to me as she's actually saying women take a dominant role in social situations more than saying women hold the power in the society. None of the heroes are female and the kingdom is ruled by a King instead of a Queen. Maybe the author doesn't really know what the word matriarchy means or it has a more expansive meaning in Japan.
Jan 12, 2019 10:35 AM

Feb 2015
I enjoyed the first episode. I hope it actually keeps up in terms of quality, although some people have told me the series loses it's sharpness as it goes on and becomes like your everyday isekai, I'll still see for myself though.

Now, just to have my say in some of the other discussions taking place here.
Yes, Grimgar was a great isekai.
No, Log Horizon was not a great isekai. It was mediocre as it gets, the series mostly deals with P0LitIcZ... no, not politics, but P0LitIcZ. All of it feels so shallow like they're just throwing around ''le big boi words'' for a topic that's in reality a lot more basic than the show portrays it as.
And the political aspect of Log Horizon aside, it's cast of characters consists of one dimensional tropes with nothing interesting going on for them. Everyone just loves Shiroe cause he's the viewer's proxy. It's exactly for that type of audience.
Akatsuki somehow looks like a 13 year old despite being a college student cause of ''muh weeaboo fetishes''.
Any semblance of plot the show has it quickly solves in short arcs and mainly focuses on Slice of Life aspects without anything even remotely major or interesting happening.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jan 12, 2019 10:37 AM

May 2017
Eanki said:

Why invent more superfluous words when we can scale down?

Besides, I'm not calling for anything just yet. I'm just wondering why insults hurled at females need to be gendered/rooted in their gender instead of just gender-neutral insults. And it's not just females. Guys too get gendered insults ("pussy", "whipped", "wimp", etc.) that serves to target and undermine their masculinity. Coward is a word. Why not use it? You know, those little things that pop into your head at 2am on a Saturday.

That's because swear words are for the purpose of insulting you. The closer the word matches you. The more it hurts.
Of course, there are a million ways to insult someone, but these words are the easiest to use and they can fit on any sentences.

EDIT: Bottom line. It's the choice of words. Using the word "bitch" doesn't make you anything sexist.
copyrightRingoJan 12, 2019 11:17 AM
Jan 12, 2019 10:44 AM

Jul 2016
MuthaFukinRick said:

One thing I found odd was Myre stating in the Inn, "This country is a matriarchy. No man would ever dare turn down a drink offered by a woman."

I'm wondering if this is a translation error. It sounds to me as she's actually saying women take a dominant role in social situations more than saying women hold the power in the society. None of the heroes are female and the kingdom is ruled by a King instead of a Queen. Maybe the author doesn't really know what the word matriarchy means or it has a more expansive meaning in Japan.

It was a mistranslation from Crunchyroll, though the statement is not false. The actual word is 女性優位, the literal translation would be women having more advantage(privilege) in the country.

The King is only the Queen's consort as
Jan 12, 2019 10:57 AM

Dec 2013
@copyrightRingo I would reply to you... but I'd essentially be just repeating what Eanki said.

@Eanki Thanks for replying in my stead. Btw I wanted to say this to you in a thread sometime ago but it slipped my mind... Log Horizon is indeed the best isekai.
Jan 12, 2019 12:39 PM
Nov 2011
The author of the Light Novel is a woman. So the SJWs argument that the anime is some kind of plot against women is not only absurd but flawed
Apart from the Main Protagonist, the majority of the more powerful characters of the Light Novel are women. At some point the Protagonist become disciple to a powerful Woman warrior.
And the other three men "heroes" are painted as hypocritical jerks.
In fact the Greatest Politcal and Diplomatic figure in the world where the history happens is a WOMAN.

an this is a interview with the author: http://www.onepeacebooks.com/profiles/aneko.html
Jan 12, 2019 1:00 PM

Aug 2018
AnimeSucks420 said:
Pontic said:
. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't.

It's not at the beginning, then it turns into your usual garbage harem isekai with self-insert edgy MC.

baits you with a different starts then turns absolute garbage. I advise everyone who wants some unique isekai to NOT watch this pile of shit.

I haven't really read the light novels but I have read a couple summaries, it looks like he gets another female slave who likes him and maybe 2nd princess likes him, but this isn't in the manga yet so I doubt it'll be in the anime either. not to mention a couple "certain events" happen that kinda break the harem. . .
Jan 12, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2018
MuthaFukinRick said:

From the start I could see where the story was headed. I suspected things wouldn't go well for the MC from the first scene with the other heroes. Nevertheless, I was curious to discovers how the author was going to introduce the reversal of fortune. When it happened I found it satisfying and got me thinking of how I would handle it if I found myself in such a situation. That's when I knew I'd be watching the rest of this series.

I don't care about genres. I don't care what others think about anime I like. I'd call myself a casual watcher of anime. I've not read a manga in a long time. I like this show so far and look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Nice to see some positivity in the shitstorm I created! Cant wait for more but I got confused by Crunchyroll's simulcast dates, it had it as fridays on wednesday but now it's back to wednesdays at 9:30 or something.
Jan 12, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
@copyrightRingo I would reply to you... but I'd essentially be just repeating what Eanki said.

@Eanki Thanks for replying in my stead. Btw I wanted to say this to you in a thread sometime ago but it slipped my mind... Log Horizon is indeed the best isekai.

While I understand the allure of Log Horizon, it didn't really land with me because I couldn't stick with the huge cast and how they are treated as a group rather than getting individual attention each. Not to mention the political affairs kinda bored me, similarly to how i watched spice and wolf for the cute romance parts and was bored through all of the economics(although it was interesting at first).
Jan 12, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2018
Pontic said:
MuthaFukinRick said:

Nice to see some positivity in the shitstorm I created! Cant wait for more but I got confused by Crunchyroll's simulcast dates, it had it as fridays on wednesday but now it's back to wednesdays at 9:30 or something.
Pontic said:
NthDegree said:

While I understand the allure of Log Horizon, it didn't really land with me because I couldn't stick with the huge cast and how they are treated as a group rather than getting individual attention each. Not to mention the political affairs kinda bored me, similarly to how i watched spice and wolf for the cute romance parts and was bored through all of the economics(although it was interesting at first).

@SigmaticDoc ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jan 12, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:

I already offered refutation against the claim proposed in your question.

VeryLTTP said:
I might as well jump on this claim as I have come with an alternative counterargument.

Slut-shaming is not sexist because when a person judges a woman's appearance, he/she is doing it within his/her personal standards. Those personal standards are shaped from the principles, opinions, and mannerisms taught to that person from other people, whether they be parents, friends, or the folks of his/her hometown. By definition, culture is the social behavior and norms formed by society. As a result, slut-shaming is more of a product of cultural prejudice than sexism.

Another reason why slut-shaming is not sexist is because this claim relies on the assumptions that slut-shaming exclusively happens against one gender and the slut-shaming is exclusively done by one gender. For your claim to be true, you have to prove that these two assumptions are correct.

If you are incapable of providing any sort of counterargument, then just say you cannot make a refutation.

It's rather ironic that you are doing exactly what you accused me of doing, i.e. deliberately ignoring certain words to artificially prop up one's argument. Complete projection on your part and I would say the one who is completely missing the point is the person who didn't even bother addressing my points directly.
VeryLTTPJan 12, 2019 1:50 PM
Jan 12, 2019 1:37 PM

Mar 2017
Ironically they said the same thing about Goblin Slayer
Jan 12, 2019 2:06 PM

Jan 2015
Pontic said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

I haven't really read the light novels but I have read a couple summaries, it looks like he gets another female slave who likes him and maybe 2nd princess likes him, but this isn't in the manga yet so I doubt it'll be in the anime either. not to mention a couple "certain events" happen that kinda break the harem. . .

just because it wont be in the anime it doesnt change the fact that this will turn into garbage
Jan 12, 2019 4:11 PM

Aug 2018
AnimeSucks420 said:
Pontic said:

just because it wont be in the anime it doesnt change the fact that this will turn into garbage

Im not sure im following you. In the light novels he gets Rapthtalia and Atla as main harem and if you know anything then you know the situation with atla

I suppose that you could include second princess and glass, but they barely get any screen time.

Also, if you're trying to get people not to watch the show because of plot points that surface AFTER the part that the ANIME will cover, then it's perfectly rational to tell you to shut the hell up. If that ever comes, then tell people not to watch the second season if it has some inklings of "harem" culture.

I'm not sure if you're just tryna troll with a name like AnimeSucks420, but you really oughta shut up instead of bashing shit that most people find no problem with.

How dare you come into MY house, eat MY pancakes, and have the AUDACITY to say they taste BAD.

Go fuck off, sincerely, Someone who doesn't like the Fate series but doesn't spout it to everyone to seem edgy
Jan 13, 2019 4:46 AM

Jan 2015
Pontic said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

Im not sure im following you. In the light novels he gets Rapthtalia and Atla as main harem and if you know anything then you know the situation with atla

I suppose that you could include second princess and glass, but they barely get any screen time.

Also, if you're trying to get people not to watch the show because of plot points that surface AFTER the part that the ANIME will cover, then it's perfectly rational to tell you to shut the hell up. If that ever comes, then tell people not to watch the second season if it has some inklings of "harem" culture.

I'm not sure if you're just tryna troll with a name like AnimeSucks420, but you really oughta shut up instead of bashing shit that most people find no problem with.

How dare you come into MY house, eat MY pancakes, and have the AUDACITY to say they taste BAD.

Go fuck off, sincerely, Someone who doesn't like the Fate series but doesn't spout it to everyone to seem edgy

it doesn't matter if it happens during or after the anime, it's still part of the story.

Also if you wouldn't make bullshit posts like this, trying to bait people into watching this garbage fuckfest then i wouldn't have to tell people not to watch it.

This ain't your house, its a free forum.
Jan 13, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2011
papsoshea said:
You can't call anything AOTS candidates based off 1 episode, this is the hype train passenger logic.

No trend victim here,
Yes, you can call AOTS candidates based on 1, 2, 3 .... or 11 eps. and still change your mind later if the show fracks it up so bad. Based on what I've seen so far, this show is one of the most entertaining of the season.
Jan 13, 2019 8:15 AM
Feb 2016
Point is everything was great before the queen arrives trust me. Well it's decent even after that but no, shield hero ended for me when the queen arrived. The whole struggle in the beginning just becomes almost non-existent after that. So I'll be watching the anime to relive the time when shield hero is great (it's still good now but not AS good)
Jan 13, 2019 8:30 AM
Dec 2014
ChipTato said:
Point is everything was great before the queen arrives trust me. Well it's decent even after that but no, shield hero ended for me when the queen arrived. The whole struggle in the beginning just becomes almost non-existent after that. So I'll be watching the anime to relive the time when shield hero is great (it's still good now but not AS good)

Strange that I found it the other way around. I think it got a lot better after the queen arrived (excluding the harem elements). Maybe it's a matter of taste? I like it when they got stronger and they are not the underdog anymore. I mean the series is about the waves after all not about revenge.
Jan 13, 2019 8:34 AM
Feb 2016
Huex3 said:
ChipTato said:

Strange that I found it the other way around. I think it got a lot better after the queen arrived (excluding the harem elements). Maybe it's a matter of taste? I like it when they got stronger and they are not the underdog anymore. I mean the series is about the waves after all not about revenge.

Hey, it's your preference. I enjoyed it when they were the underdogs. I still do enjoy it, because at this point I'm kinda attached to them as a character
Jan 13, 2019 9:01 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Random sexism accusations aside, man what a trainwreck of an episode was episode 1. It's actually shocking. Well, at least it was entertaining to witness whatever the hell this was supposed to be.
Jan 13, 2019 10:21 AM

Dec 2013
@kzarashi 1. Women can be sexist too. 2. Author's displayed name is feminine but we don't know whether it's a pseudonym. Those seem to be rather common in LN industry.

Pontic said:
NthDegree said:

If it has not been already made apparent from my arguments here and my favorites list, I happen to love politics lol. So some of it is probably just the fact that it's in one of my favorite genres. I could see the argument that my second favorite isekai (Vision of Escaflowne) is better of the two, but LH is my personal favorite.

@VeryLTTP So your answer is 'no' then? Very well, second question then...

Do you agree that 'bitch' is a gendered insult?
Jan 13, 2019 10:24 AM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:
@VeryLTTP So your answer is 'no' then? Very well, second question then...

Do you agree that 'bitch' is a gendered insult?

No to what question?

That question was already answered eons ago. You should keep track of other people's responses rather than glancing over them.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

194 by Vinnicivs »»
Feb 24, 9:08 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

543 by Addisonchim »»
Feb 19, 10:13 AM

» so why does he keep enslaving girls? ( 1 2 )

Nyron - Feb 5

97 by Frogdude59 »»
Feb 9, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2019

297 by RGreatDanton »»
Feb 3, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2019

439 by RGreatDanton »»
Feb 3, 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.