Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2019 8:01 AM

Sep 2009
just to let people know the first episode official aired today (crunchy had a preview) but the only different between the 2 is the OP at the end. which was pretty good.
Jan 9, 2019 8:52 AM

Jun 2008
pretty generic show tbh, all the characters seem one dimensional, the protagonist didn't get a fair trial because of course everyone are against him. It's probably gonna be as huge as SAO in the future because it's basic and easy to watch
Jan 9, 2019 9:01 AM
Dec 2014
ap1001 said:
Huex3 said:

I think what he meant was one of the first modern isekai. As in an isekai before the isekai boom that spawned a lot of those shitty isekai (that was 2014 or 2015 I think?). The time this was written was 2012 when "the otaku guy got isekai'd to a game like world to be the chosen hero" was not yet overused and was still a bit fresh.

Although I think this is the first one that used the "the hero got betrayed by the country he's suppose to save" premise. I'm not sure, are there others that predates it?

In WN world? Yes, the betrayal fics date back to 2009. This one just got more popular amongst a mountain of turd.

Well maybe it got popular because it's the one that is good. If there are a hundred of these one of them will eventually be "the good one" right?
Jan 9, 2019 11:00 AM
a car

Jun 2017
Wow, for how terrible I was expecting this to be (mostly because of CR's involvement in it), it was actually pretty solid (however, I probably feel that way because I know that it gets better than this). The flame wars seem to be a lot smaller than I had initially thought, which is good (but it's probably still gonna spread pretty far).

The two-year wait was 25% worth it!
Jan 9, 2019 12:01 PM

May 2018
This episode in a nutshell

Jan 9, 2019 12:29 PM

Jun 2017
Ahahahhahahahhahahah
Muahahhahahahahhahaha
Hehehehhehee

Why am i laughing?Because i find this "Controversy" freaking ridiculous, i never even cared about the false rape accusation before i heard some guys complaining about it online

Just enjoy the damn show and critique the damn show, if you want your 5 minutes in the spotlight by saying how controversial it is please continue, this is too funny

Solid first episode that was elevated by the Amazing music overall and an interesting premise that actually makes me curious about the series, i hope it doesn't have a sense of morality too, it would be amazing, a bit disappointed in how the other heroes were presented but i get the point

Also this should be named :How to make everyone hateable aside from the MC in 30 minutes
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 9, 2019 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
it was a very nice intro
naive heroes need this betrayal to toughen up
Jan 9, 2019 12:59 PM

Sep 2014
Matriarchy with a king...something's not right here...
While Myne is a bitch it doesn't look like she planned this all alone especially after seeing that opening...

Cutie demi human-waifu spotted in the end HNNNNGGGG. Looking forward to seeing more of her!
Should be interesting to see waifu do the fighting while Naofumi protects, unless he gets some offensive shield skills later.

Jan 9, 2019 12:59 PM

Jun 2013
That was pretty good. I hope it continues to get better. At first, I was thinking it was another isekai series with a harem and disgusting otaku but turned out pretty well.

Bitch thot and her fuckboy pissed me off. Don't know if the other two heroes are also in on it. Right now, everyone is a fucking idiot except for Naofumi and Jet Black.
臭い-
Jan 9, 2019 1:22 PM

Sep 2014
I have to admit, I expected yet another generic isekai of the season, like slime is. But the setting could be interesting. Atleast it looks a bit harsher than the usual SoL moe idekai
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 9, 2019 5:37 PM
Sep 2018
i dont get it. i watch this episode last year and i was hoping another episode but still the same as the last one.
Jan 9, 2019 6:41 PM

Feb 2007
Well, damn... Sucks to be this guy for sure. I guess it's a good thing they didn't try to kill him and there are still people around who believe in him, even if it's just the weapon merchant for now, or we would be watching Nidome no Yuusha instead.
Jan 9, 2019 8:04 PM

Jun 2017
This was an okay first episode. Honestly, everything seems pretty generic. There wasn't anything super interesting, and I could see the "twist" coming a mile away. The animation and art are nice, at least.

My Anime Blog
Jan 9, 2019 8:37 PM

Oct 2015
I love how some people here are being hyprocrtical, you are saying that everyone is a bastard not choosing the weakest hero but you woud have done the same in a game or in real life.
Jan 9, 2019 9:00 PM

Jun 2015
holy crap another yoshitsugu matsuoka anime ive come across, the coincidence.
so far it just seems like a standard isekai, nothing special as of now, although interesting
Jan 9, 2019 9:47 PM

Nov 2013
I'm glad, that they decided to make a longer first episode.

As a manga reader, I knew about the betrayal, but it is handled well in the anime in my opinion. Considering the circumstances, Naofumi's response was quite collected and entirely justified. As for the other heroes, Motoyasu is an idiot, Ren and Itsuki are just children. That will also create more trouble for Naofumi later.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 9, 2019 11:00 PM
Dec 2014
Ok... after hearing so much praise and positive comments about this show, I finally was able to watch it today, and O boi.... this show just did not click for me in my opinion. Right off the bat we are introduced with the typical otaku main character, who so happened to be summoned to another world as one of the four legendary heroes that would go against this wave thingy or whatever. The thing that really didn't click for me were the characters, they felt boring and uninteresting; even when they were summoned into this unknown world, they were confused for a while, but then all of a sudden they start demanding rewards, and even threatened them. After learning the reason they were summoned to defend the kingdom from this wave, each heroes split into groups and set off to level up before the wave thingy comes which comes within a month. Here we see the MC grind by killing this orange monster slime looking thing with his karate skills along with this bitch, who later on accused him of rape, which caused the MC to be immediately disliked by the entire kingdom. What pissed me off was how obvious and evident the MC was framed. The only evidence that they could find was just a bra on top of his bed, which in my opinion should not even be considered as evidence due to the fact that all his belongings were stolen. Maybe if they found the bitch's panties on the MC's bed, it will be more believable, but if it is just a bra, that can't be considered as rape. Moreover, the one thing that really, really pissed me off is the fact that the other heroes are complete retarded piece of shit that has a brain of a fucking 5 year old, the Lance hero was retarded from the beginning so he gets a pass (also he witnessed that fake ass bitch crying as she went inside his room naked), but the cool headed, logical sword hero and the bow hero for some reason failed to notice that the MC was blatantly framed by that bitch, which really boggles my mind: how can they be so stupid? On the other hand, the old guy at the weapon's shop instantly finds out what happened to the MC with just a quick look at his eyes (the old man is my favorite character so far). The visuals and the art are stunning, and so is the ost, but the story and character are complete horse poo poo shit so far. I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate and angry comment over this, but I just had to get it out of my system. If there is any rebuttal that you guys have, I will gladly take a look at it and discuss it.
MehgumanJan 9, 2019 11:11 PM
Jan 10, 2019 12:04 AM

Dec 2016
This is what the light novel deserved and I am just so happy man
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 10, 2019 12:22 AM

Dec 2013
The beginning had me worried, as it was on track to be the most horribly generic start ever. Still very average at best, but not as bad as I was expecting, esp the nothing burger false rape accusation. JC ANN, talk about snowflakes...
Jan 10, 2019 4:46 AM
Aug 2018
Here we have the case where the MC is the underdog, truly needed in this "OPMC isekai" era we live
Jan 10, 2019 6:06 AM

Dec 2009
That was not only one of the worst first episodes i've watched in a long time but it was twice as long. Do they really need 50 minutes to set up such an obvious plot?
I saw that gold digger betraying mc from the very first smile (the dream sequence at the start pretty much spoiled the whole episode, so that doesn't help)

Now we will have mc saving his slave waifu and follow the road of every LN mc ever to become op even though they act like he's an underdog.
Jan 10, 2019 6:12 AM

Feb 2014
I'm pretty impressed with this show after watching its double-length first episode. Kinema Citrus has got the animation and art quality spot on, as expected, and Kevin Penkin doing the music on this show is already a win-win for me after his excellent job on Made In Abyss.

Naofumi has already got it bad, the poor guy. Not fortunate to get anyone to join him at first, until Myne volunteered, but she only ended up setting him to get framed. I'm not sure what her true objective is here, but she needs a good punch to the face. Same goes to the blonde-haired hero for believing her lies so easily.

After that, Naofumi goes off to grind and, rightfully, starts putting his foot down on people who try to do dodgy business with him because of the false accusations on him.

I wasn't expecting him to take the slave master's offer so seriously, though, but we do find the furry girl that's on the main visual, so he'll be choosing her soon enough.

Overall, this was a great start. I'm hoping that Naofumi will get his own back on Myne and anyone else who set him up soon enough. Revenge will be sweet, indeed. =P
Jan 10, 2019 6:25 AM

Mar 2018
Mormegil said:
Ow the edge. Hope it gets better. So many shows relying on controversies to pull in viewers lately, like Goblin Slayer before this. Fortunately, Goblin Slayer got a hell of a lot better after the first episode. Maybe Shield Hero can, too. Who knows.

Really, what else was this 1st episode besides the false rape accusation? How does it stand out besides that? Guy gets transported to world -> usual, dull isekai tropes abound -> FALSE RAPE ACCUSATION(this isekai is so different and spicy now!) -> MC MAD -> back to usual, dull isekai tropes -> end on slaves, because you can't have an isekai without slaves.

Yawn.

Thats bait right? right? goblin slayer barely held itself together and was enjoyable because it didnt seem to take itself seriously, and as far as edge goes i didnt even expect it to come up in the discussions, it genuinely surprised me that people would get pissed off by that scene but here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 10, 2019 6:53 AM
Feb 2017
Mythologically said:
Can't believe they animated the Kavanaugh hearings.

You sir are amazing.
Jan 10, 2019 6:55 AM
Feb 2017
MaskOfIce said:
Alright, I was unable to finish this first episode because I was hating how it "characterizes" the main character by just having the world shit on him as opposed to giving him an interesting personality that makes me want to see him triumph. Should I push through these painful parts for what's to come, or if I already dislike it now, I probably won't like it down the line?

While I see why you do not like the start it is important for his character and story, I would recommend to continue watching and not to take it at face value sorry for vague reply but I dont want to spoil anything
Jan 10, 2019 7:49 AM

Jan 2008
What I saw that it was an isekai anime, I rolled my eyes a little,
but the whole betrayal aspect really spiced things up. I love cruel intentions type stories where reputations are dragged into the mud.
Jan 10, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
They are all so readily accepting meh... but that in turn gives a lot of content in a jam-packed episode. This is going to be a fun ride!
Jan 10, 2019 8:25 AM

Jan 2016
PraiseTheSunfire said:
MaskOfIce said:
Alright, I was unable to finish this first episode because I was hating how it "characterizes" the main character by just having the world shit on him as opposed to giving him an interesting personality that makes me want to see him triumph. Should I push through these painful parts for what's to come, or if I already dislike it now, I probably won't like it down the line?

While I see why you do not like the start it is important for his character and story, I would recommend to continue watching and not to take it at face value sorry for vague reply but I dont want to spoil anything

If you look further down, I did end up finishing it, still kinda on the fence as to whether I'll continue. Plus I knew about the spoilers for episode 1 before I went into it, so unless something will radically change in the next few episodes, I think I have the info I need. As for "not taking it at face value", my problem wasn't that it was looking to be a traditional story, but rather that the way it was trying to get us to care about the main character was to have literally everything shit on him to such a degree it just comes across as "hey, let's torture this guy", which I don't find interesting. And even after he changes, he's not interesting enough to make me think "oh yeah, that all was worth it"
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 10, 2019 10:45 AM

Jan 2010
Damn, I like the twist. Isekai are usually only as good as the world building in them and the interaction between MC and the people in it. I hope the MC stays bad-ass.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jan 10, 2019 11:29 AM

May 2018
I watched this because of the hype but I'm so disappointed. For me it was quite boring during the first half. The dialogues in the whole episode were meh, and the change in the personality of the mc was kind of forced imo. I understand that he was betrayed by the only person that he trusted in this new world, but anyway it felt too sudden for me. The rest of the cast was uninteresting to me as well. I guess this isn't for me, so I'll just put it on hold for now.
Jan 10, 2019 1:46 PM

May 2016
I saw few SAO like characters and voices.

Myne sure pulled one on him well I gotta thank her cause he would have been a neet for eternity.

Loved the first episode, I wonder how can he be that better in one month.
Jan 10, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2007
I ended up reading 30 chapters of the manga in one day because I didn't want to wait after watching this episode. I don't regret it. Yes, it took 30 chapters or 1000 pages give or take to feel like what happened in this episode was resolved.
eraltergJan 10, 2019 2:02 PM
Jan 11, 2019 1:22 AM
Jan 2017
Episode 2 preview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1y5J902X4
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2019 2:10 AM

Nov 2012
I'm so glad I just downloaded and watched it without reading the synopsis or anything about it... I didn't even know it was going to be a isekai. I FUCKING LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 11, 2019 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
dayum this is looking good first episode and shit already went south
Jan 11, 2019 3:22 AM
Feb 2018
High Score and and more than 60% of the viewers viewed it as exceptional.

A lot of vocal whiners here in this thread but this is MAL after all we have critics with no life everywhere :P
Jan 11, 2019 4:06 AM

Dec 2008
Just finished watching that ep and it's really promising, good to see an isekai anime in which hero is not a goody two shoes or op from the get go. On top of that, the false accusation theme must have ruffled more than one feather among those who rarely ever get off their high horse.
Jan 11, 2019 6:29 AM

Mar 2016
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari wasn't in my plan to watch for this season. Never heard of this and didn't seems promising at all.
After all the fuss I give it a try and for almost 3/4 of the episode this was bad. Kakegurui xx episode 1 level shit. The lack of world building [Emoji movie level stuff] and the writting almost killed this show for me. But I liked that [predictable] plot twist at the 3/4 of the episode and the new face of the MC.
I'm gonna keep wathing this but please don't disappoint me 'cause I'll drop you without thinking twice.

5/10
Jan 11, 2019 9:58 AM

Oct 2017
I know most people in mal are too young/ too new in anime to know this.

But from the first 5 mins didn't anyone get heavy reference of this series from Fushigi Yûgi?

Ventus_SJan 11, 2019 11:06 AM
Jan 11, 2019 10:36 AM

Oct 2017
PS: Honestly , I don't get the high rating of this series so far.

It's laughable that literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of them believe in that women without raising any suspension, even those 3 other dudes who come from modern age with proper legal system. That "evidence" is laughably poor proof of anything.

And no-one suspect that all his gears/ money gone with only her clothes under the bed to be awfully coincidental? No-one think that he could be set up?
I find these convenient plot progression for the sake of tragedy to be abit insulting.

Also people believe a single nobody over the chosen heroes they summon lolz..
Talking about some nice treatment of the hero.
Do they really want their world to be saved or not?

6/10 series so far.
Jan 11, 2019 11:02 AM

Oct 2017
papsoshea said:
10 minutes into shield hero, and already skull crushed with an avalanche of isekai clichés in addition of heteroclite plot elements combined together with no logic behind it - well so far. Well at least it's clearly just a stupid fun show, not really taking itself seriously until that whole Christine Blasey-Ford shit but you know, Light Novel authors have to write some crap in knowing it will cause fans of the show and SJWs to fight and work up some drama to create controversy for publicity purposes. Just another lazy way of writing to hook viewers into another generic fantasy. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

This. Can no-one tell that the writing of this series from the very beginning not good at all?
No logic in people's behavior , mc turn edgy for the sake of turning edgy, and no-one other than some side character has logical thinking.

Still somewhat fun to watch how the mc becomes op in the end, as expected from those typical isekai series. (Typical mc is kinda under-dog with handicapped setup, but ended up being strongest by using gimmick or system oversight or some weird setting author created. Been there, done that for at least 10+ isekai summon hero manga adaptation I've seen so far, nothing new here)
Ventus_SJan 11, 2019 11:09 AM
Jan 11, 2019 11:41 AM
Mar 2018
And the word of the year in anime goes to: "Rape"

Everybody aboard the bandwagon, this anime got more edges than field of cactoids to it. What a mess...
Jan 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Oct 2011
antihero in 1st ep. been a while.

Jan 11, 2019 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
papsoshea said:
10 minutes into shield hero, and already skull crushed with an avalanche of isekai clichés in addition of heteroclite plot elements combined together with no logic behind it - well so far. Well at least it's clearly just a stupid fun show, not really taking itself seriously until that whole Christine Blasey-Ford shit but you know, Light Novel authors have to write some crap in knowing it will cause fans of the show and SJWs to fight and work up some drama to create controversy for publicity purposes. Just another lazy way of writing to hook viewers into another generic fantasy. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
That didn't make any sense.
LN authors think about the SJW?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 11, 2019 5:46 PM

Jun 2017
Impressive first Episode
The first 20-ish Minutes left me with an unsatisfying feeling and i think everyone else could predict what would happen, but still...
great voice acting tho!
Jan 11, 2019 6:23 PM

Mar 2014
papsoshea said:

Shield Hero was written in 2012. I guess the author still somehow had the superhuman foresight to tap into the juicy well of publicity that is the Kavanaugh hearing and #MeToo.

Jan 11, 2019 9:09 PM

Sep 2008
I like it. I'd say it's one of the better isekai anime. At least so far.
Jan 11, 2019 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
OMG WOW! I never thought this would be this great!
What a great... fantastic first episode! Glad they did a 45min episode.
Damn, i feel bad for the guy :/

I can't wait for him to find how to learn how to use his shield and get badass! And show the others.
I think that they didn't conspire against him, even the blonde guy was surprised when he threw his coins, i think they just believe the girl. But damn, what a rough and sad start.
Wish i could already see more episodes! Totally in love with this.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 11, 2019 9:49 PM

Dec 2011
Ventus_S said:
PS: Honestly , I don't get the high rating of this series so far.

It's laughable that literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of them believe in that women without raising any suspension, even those 3 other dudes who come from modern age with proper legal system. That "evidence" is laughably poor proof of anything.

And no-one suspect that all his gears/ money gone with only her clothes under the bed to be awfully coincidental? No-one think that he could be set up?
I find these convenient plot progression for the sake of tragedy to be abit insulting.

Also people believe a single nobody over the chosen heroes they summon lolz..
Talking about some nice treatment of the hero.
Do they really want their world to be saved or not?

6/10 series so far.

I read the web novel to its completion. Everything you mention makes absolute sense in the context of the lore... but since it's not something you know from the beginning, even in the novel, I can see how you'd feel the way you do.

If you care enough to know what I'm talking about, PM me, I'm not dropping spoilers here.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

219 by SanessyAdversary »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.