Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2019 5:49 AM
Apr 2017
Holy shit this was good. I don't know why but the way Dororo acts like an absolute savage just reminded me of Samurai Champloo.
Jan 9, 2019 5:50 AM

Nov 2016
@Rei366

Drawings and animation were fine, but I thought the characters don't blend in well with the backrounds.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2019 6:26 AM

Jun 2017
Rei366 said:
For a "modern" reimagining, this was incredibly close to the first TV adaptation!
The redesign of Dororo is quite good in evoking his past form. Hyakkimaru on the other hand..

Looks like they reduced the number of body parts to fit a half-length show. A full length one would have been more fitting to celebrate the God of Manga...

Also, this dog... I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be picked up by this adaptation. Was it even in the manga??

Something I found weird was the blind monk in the past, what was that? Was it in the book? o_O

5/5 @CodeBlazeFate I know you didn't have it on your radar so may I point it out for you?

@Birdsanddrugs To be fair, the first adaptations (colour pilot, B&W TV series) had quite the action too.

@FMMatron Kannst du bitte mir Animation Probleme Beispiele geben? OK.ru hat immer wieder die Auflosung auf die 3DS geändert und deswegen hatte ich oft schw.Bildschirme, deshalb habe ich sie vielleicht verpasst.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Where did you get the actor's age?

I looked the voice actress of Dororo here on MAL and checked on Google, i was surprised

Respect for the Rei image
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 9, 2019 6:45 AM

Aug 2012
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
Jan 9, 2019 7:13 AM
Feb 2013
Very good OP song and animation.
Jan 9, 2019 7:45 AM
Sep 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.
Jan 9, 2019 8:12 AM
Apr 2017
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.

Well, personally I think that the original is far more menacing and intimidating making him a more compelling villain. I, however, think that the changes are all fine and don't particularly hinder the story.
Jan 9, 2019 8:24 AM

Dec 2015
@nightcrawlercyp Giving him relatively "redeeming" facts was the only thing that did not sit well with me. He wasn't eveil in the original story, he was just totally driven by his ambition and giving up his son was a pretty good manifestation of it.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Oh, right ! o_O
(thanks for the picture but the drawing is not from me, someone made me this photoshop picture thirteen years ago and since then I never found the original art she used. XD)
Jan 9, 2019 9:18 AM

Nov 2017
Some people are complaining about the op but I absolutely love it ! Also, I'm not sure if I'm just gonna watch the anime or if I should the manga.. or maybe a previous adaptation of it ?
Anyway, it was a pretty damn cool first episode.

Jan 9, 2019 10:04 AM
Apr 2016
I just wanna say: Great OP&EP
Jan 9, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
I'm so curious where this will going.
Aweaome setting and background story and the style is very good, as expected from Mappa. I really like it.

So we learned about the premise and were introduced to the characters and I really like them.
I love these kind of period and settings in general and also demon-stories, well so hopefully this seems to be in a more darkish fantasy direction. So far I also like the designs of the demons.

Dororo is such a cute kid. What's wrong with you guys, beating up a kid for stealing? It's pretty accurate for the time period maybe, but oh jeez. :(

The fight scene was pretty good and this puppet-like appearance looks so good.

Really great OP and ED too.
Jan 9, 2019 12:04 PM

Aug 2018
It showed us the MC's, which were interesting to say the least. The fighting was really good. Looking forward to next week!
HENTAI
IS
ART
Jan 9, 2019 12:06 PM
Apr 2016
I only know about Dororo when I read about Ps2 game review long time ago. It catch my interest about how he need to defeat all the demon in order the get back all his body part. I never had chance to play it at that time. I'm glad it got animated with new look and style.
Jan 9, 2019 12:12 PM

May 2018
Priestess_Alva said:
Lusuki said:
And more excited to see the ending song from Amazarashi which i love it! <3

The ending is beautiful. Amazarashi never disappoints. <3

I completely agree! His voice is so beautiful and takes a song to a whole other level! And this anime looks so promising I feel in love after the first episode alone.
Jan 9, 2019 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
BackstageMage said:
satsatsaturnalia said:
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he

Dororo is a guy

30charactercount

I honestly feel like Dororo might be a girl in this version.
His voice and eyes are very feminine

Jan 9, 2019 12:44 PM
Mar 2015
Don't fuck with demons
Jan 9, 2019 2:31 PM

Feb 2017
I loved everything about this episode. Looks like the show I will love.

So lord's first son managed to get his face from the demons at the end of the episode. Looks like it will be an interesting journey.
Jan 9, 2019 3:23 PM

Aug 2013
This episode seemed somewhat rushed, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The OP and ED are great.
Jan 9, 2019 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
The fight scene between Hyakkimaru and Deiki was so cool, really well done. Already like Dororo, easiest way to make me like character is to portray them being nice to dogs. :P

Very nice episode overall, can't wait for more. Really glad that it's gonna have more than 12 episodes.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Jan 9, 2019 9:31 PM
Nov 2015
Amazing start to the series.

Non-manga reader here, but all seemed very well handled. Very interesting plot, animation on point. Thought Dororo was a girl at first though.

Loved the ending. The opening didn't catch my eye.

5/5!
BetoYeriExyJan 10, 2019 12:07 AM
Jan 9, 2019 10:02 PM
Jan 2019
This is a great start for the series while its not really anything original or unique the presentation and directings on point this series also has a rather eerie tone with all the death and suffering that comes from the medieval japan setting and those demons out of curiosity i watched the first episode of the original anime and hilariously despite being black and white and being all still frames mostly the death of those thieves was more brutal and disturbing in that version
Jan 9, 2019 11:37 PM

Aug 2012
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
The idea pushed was that his people were in serious trouble and that this was a reason justifying his actions. In fact as one can see in the original anime the peasants suffered way more from the deal and the wars started by this lord. Again in this version of the anime is not so clear how the wars started or that he was the one starting them.
Jan 9, 2019 11:39 PM

Aug 2012
Rei366 said:
@nightcrawlercyp Giving him relatively "redeeming" facts was the only thing that did not sit well with me. He wasn't eveil in the original story, he was just totally driven by his ambition and giving up his son was a pretty good manifestation of it.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Oh, right ! o_O
(thanks for the picture but the drawing is not from me, someone made me this photoshop picture thirteen years ago and since then I never found the original art she used. XD)

Is'nt that the definition of evil? sacrificing everyone else for your desires? As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Jan 9, 2019 11:48 PM
Sep 2018
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
The idea pushed was that his people were in serious trouble and that this was a reason justifying his actions. In fact as one can see in the original anime the peasants suffered way more from the deal and the wars started by this lord. Again in this version of the anime is not so clear how the wars started or that he was the one starting them.
it's also quite clear he doesn't care about his peoples suffering. When making a deal with the demons, he doesn't say "to help his people", he says " so that I become a great ruler": to achieve his selfish ambitions.
Jan 9, 2019 11:59 PM

Dec 2011
Dororo is so much like Ten from Kingdom.His face and voice is like a girl may be there is a twist that he is a girl.
Anyway great episode and I want to see the backstory of Hyakkimaru and who took care of him after he was abandoned and cursed.
Jan 10, 2019 3:49 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid first episode. Tezuka invented the young child with samurai trope too?

Animation quality looks good, MAPPA udid a good job overall.
Jan 10, 2019 4:11 AM

Mar 2017
This show is going to be one of the best of this season. Animation is solid. Opening and ending themes are really co. That fight scene was also really cool to look at.
Hope it's going to be a 2 cour show.
Jan 10, 2019 4:42 AM
Aug 2018
It seems like a pretty dark series, let's see how it will flow...
Jan 10, 2019 6:07 AM
Nov 2018
Well, they do put a lot of effort into this anime.
It give me the same vibes as Studio Ghibli but R 17 + rating.
The story is really great.
I'm pretty sure this is one of the most decent anime of 2019.
But the voice actors doesn't give me that much impressions, especially Dororo.
My score for this anime is ranging between 7.5 and 8.
But someone I admire here scored it to 9.
So, it got score 8 from me... xD

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 10, 2019 7:59 AM

Sep 2017
Very nice start. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 10, 2019 8:13 AM

Aug 2017
Hooked. Have to travel back quite some time to when I actually religiously planned on watching 3 or more animes in the same season. 2019 has been a great start for anime.
Jan 10, 2019 9:15 AM

Dec 2017
Priestess_Alva said:
Lusuki said:
And more excited to see the ending song from Amazarashi which i love it! <3

The ending is beautiful. Amazarashi never disappoints. <3

And indeed, both, op and end themes were excellent, not the typical JPop they usually used to... :D
Jan 10, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2015
I don't really get it why everyone is prasing this show. I may watch the second episode, but this first was actually quite boring
Jan 10, 2019 9:54 AM

Feb 2016
Good music and stylish like Samurai Champloo but also dark and gory like Berserk. I can already tell I will like this series.
Jan 10, 2019 9:56 AM
Apr 2017
thiago52192 said:
I don't really get it why everyone is prasing this show. I may watch the second episode, but this first was actually quite boring

There are quite a few 8s, 9s and 10s on your list that I'd consider boring. You honestly shouldn't put too much thought into what other people say about it, tbh, Even though I'm doing just that.
Jan 10, 2019 11:07 AM

Nov 2017
It was okay, I look forward to watching more of this!

Jan 10, 2019 11:33 AM

May 2018
This was one of the best first episodes I've seen in a while. I just hope this doesn't turn into an episodic series soon. Can't wait for ep 2!
Jan 10, 2019 12:03 PM
May 2014
wakame-sama said:
This was one of the best first episodes I've seen in a while. I just hope this doesn't turn into an episodic series soon. Can't wait for ep 2!

A heavily episodic slice-of-life type thing is literally exactly what I'm hoping for out of this, so long as it fully commits to it.
Jan 10, 2019 1:14 PM

Dec 2015
ThereArentNames said:
thiago52192 said:

There are quite a few 8s, 9s and 10s on your list that I'd consider boring. You honestly shouldn't put too much thought into what other people say about it, tbh, Even though I'm doing just that.

Considering you have a 3.55 mean score, it isn't a suprise you find some of the shows I like boring.

Besides, I'm just curious on the reason of people enjoying something that I can't see the appeal, but I'm actually fine with people enjoying it. For example, I didn't really like Angel Beats, but I do understand why most of people enjoy it and I respect their opinions.
Jan 10, 2019 5:08 PM

Nov 2018
thiago52192 said:
ThereArentNames said:

Considering you have a 3.55 mean score, it isn't a suprise you find some of the shows I like boring.

Besides, I'm just curious on the reason of people enjoying something that I can't see the appeal, but I'm actually fine with people enjoying it. For example, I didn't really like Angel Beats, but I do understand why most of people enjoy it and I respect their opinions.

Soo you think 3-gatsu no lion is good, but this is boring? Either dark themed anime is just not for you, or you simply prefer anime that makes you sleep on your couch. To each their own i guess.
Jan 10, 2019 6:10 PM
Dec 2017
it seems pretty interesting so far. MAPPAs animation didn't dissapoint as always, but i did feel a little bit of lack in the background music (except for the action scene) and on the animation, hopefully it won't be like that for the entire anime.

both the opening and ending are well animated, i particulary find the ending to be the best with both the sketchy animaton style and the song by amazarashi was just incredible (i'm quite the fan of BNHA 2nd season op)
Jan 11, 2019 2:39 AM

Dec 2015
Tougen said:
thiago52192 said:

Soo you think 3-gatsu no lion is good, but this is boring? Either dark themed anime is just not for you, or you simply prefer anime that makes you sleep on your couch. To each their own i guess.

You talk like I was some kind of exception. You do realize that almost every person who watched 3-gatsu consider the show a masterpiece right? Specially if we're talking about the second season. Most likely slice of life/drama anime is just not for you. To each their own i guess
Jan 11, 2019 3:36 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't expect that I would like it, but damn it was amazing. I like the darkness of the series. Not a fan of the OP song that much.
Jan 11, 2019 3:39 AM
Apr 2017
thiago52192 said:
ThereArentNames said:

I could literally justify every single one of my three and below. I watch a whole lot of trash. You'd be surprised.
Jan 11, 2019 4:31 AM

Jul 2016
Ano saa Can I ask a guide how to watch this series? like . . .

Should I watch the alternative version first?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5760/Dororo_to_Hyakkimaru
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11471/Dororo_Pilot

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2019 4:41 AM
Apr 2017
Tentai-chan said:
Ano saa Can I ask a guide how to watch this series? like . . .

Should I watch the alternative version first?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5760/Dororo_to_Hyakkimaru
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11471/Dororo_Pilot

Thanks!

You only need to watch this, but deffo check https://myanimelist.net/anime/5760/Dororo_to_Hyakkimaru if you're interested.
Jan 11, 2019 6:06 AM

Jan 2018
So does anyone know the air date of episode 2 ? :) I read through the comments on the thread, couldn't find the info, sorry if somebody already stated it!

Also, I love this shows' premise, high hopes for this one, especially in MAPPA's hands !
Jan 11, 2019 6:10 AM

Nov 2018
thiago52192 said:
Tougen said:

You talk like I was some kind of exception. You do realize that almost every person who watched 3-gatsu consider the show a masterpiece right? Specially if we're talking about the second season. Most likely slice of life/drama anime is just not for you. To each their own i guess

'mostly everyone', maybe here on MAL. And yes, its not for me, i personaly find most of them boring. And no, thats not the point, im not saying you are an exeption, just pointing out people with your tastes would probably not enjoy a series such as this, with gorgeous action and a dark themed story. Thought its probably too early too judge since we barely know the protagonists yet.
TougenJan 11, 2019 6:20 AM
Jan 11, 2019 6:21 AM

Jul 2016
What is it to say, fuck.
Really amazing first episode, might be the best episode of this season already.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Jan 11, 2019 8:51 AM
Apr 2017
By the way i retract any previous statments i made about this
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by Chlatra »»
Mar 20, 7:38 AM

» What do you think about the dub

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 12

8 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Mar 12, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.