Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you can't stand, despite it having high scores/good reviews?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jan 7, 2019 9:03 PM

Mar 2016
Clannad, Code Geass, I think Gintama is good but overrated in MAL.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 7, 2019 9:16 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
This is my personal opinion. Why I hated the following show so much is the result of many traits from it that coincidentally got together to be something that I PERSONALLY found awful. So, you don't have to agree with my opinion. That said...

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai or Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.

Just the title is a wall of text.

Well, it connected with me in a negative way since episode 1 and it didn't improve:

- I hated Mai's personality and looks since episode 1; having the traits I hate on 3D girls depicted on a 2D one made her pointless. She became the epitome of the anti-waifu. For me, at least.

- There are shows that I like and shows that I find boring, but this one made me angry every single episode (except #12).

- I found the characters annoying and the interactions forced. Every episode I had the hope that any of them could be saved, but none did:

> Tomoe not stopping contact with Sakuta even when friendzoned made her look more pathetic than any of Kirito's harem girls.
> Kaede was the typical imouto in love with her older brother (before her arc) and the show even trying to blatantly apologize for it from their first interaction only worsened it.
> Futaba was your typical Tsundere/Kuudere with boring pseudo-scientifical dialogues, then she had that hypocritical attitude while trying to hit on Sakuta's friend when he already had a girlfriend. I don't even want to start describing her doppelganger.

...and so on.

- Mai x Sakuta. This couple made me sick with each of their appearances, and finally turning them into a couple only worsened it. Mai never, ever even kissed the poor guy.

- Sakuta was pretending to be the next incarnation of Chad when he was the stupidest male character ever. The show tried to make him look as the most caring person in the world and, at the next second, the most badass, just to be literally under Mai's foot on the next scene. Disgusting. Hearing everyone in my anime group admiring him every single episode just made me angrier.

- So many scenes made me cringe so badly, but this abomination takes the prize.

Once again, this is just my opinion. The thread asks about a show that everyone praises while we just can't stand it. I just felt free to talk about it having this question as an opportunity. I'm glad that I'm not alone and that many people feel the same about their particular animes that they don't like but everybody does.
TitanOfPlasmaJan 7, 2019 9:25 PM
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jan 7, 2019 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
nisekoi

i dropped that shit 3 minutes after the opening
Jan 7, 2019 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
VerySad_Weeb said:
jarring said:

I like character development as much as the next guy, i just think there was too much priority given to it in this particular anime. What do you mean "ordinary mecha show"? You yourself said it would have been better if they expanded more on the world between the parasites and the humans, but they didn't, they spent all their time and effort on the kids feelings. By the end of it they had what 6 episodes left to cram in a climax for a dystopian mecha?

I don't think it's what I "prefer". I know Imaishi is an amazing artist as the founder of Trigger doing those action sequences, and I don't personally think it SHOULD be about preferences. I'm just recognizing his talent, and I feel that was the major redeeming factor that anime had going for it. It's just a shame the dystopian mecha world was just kind of thrown off to the side for the sake of some kid's romance. I mean, sure, I love romance anime. Some of my favorite anime of all time are romance. I just feel like it shouldn't have been the main feature. Yeah if it was longer, they could have expanded on the world more, but that just wasn't the case was it. There's only so much you can do in so many episodes especially when they've already spent so much time investing into the romance.

I talked about DiTF not being an "ordinary mecha show" because they tend to focus mostly on the action and to me it seemed like that was what you wanted from DiTF. But I might've misunderstood you.

And about Imaishi and Trigger's participation in the project, it was minimal. Imaishi and Trigger were basically brought in to take care of the action scenes and not much else. There was even some speculation that they left the project after a certain point, though I don't know if it was ever confirmed.

But I see where you're coming from. I just didn't mind so much how the anime was handled until after chapter 16. To me it could've ended there and I would've rated it a 7 and actually recommend it to people.

If anything, this anime served to keep me wary of Nishigori's next projects. The guy is a decent director and a great character designer, but he definitely isn't a good writer. Not even Hayashi Naotaka, who is highly praised for creating Steins;Gate, managed to salvage the train wreck that Nishi created. It would be interesting if they made public who wrote the bulk of the story though. Everything points to Nishigori since the anime in general, but especially ending, was very reminiscing of old Gainax shows.

It was Nishigori for sure man. I remember watching a video awhile back on it, and all signs point to yes.

As the first half of the show closes, these are his words "This story began with Hiro and Zero Two, and that's where I want it to return in the end."
And get this, he says, no shit, "I don't know if it will be a happy ending for everyone" lmfao

Jan 7, 2019 9:26 PM

Apr 2016
FMAB.. I don't understand why this anime is nr 1 on MAL.
I watched it on TV long before I made my account and the anime was pretty bad and kinda pathetic.. I didn't even bothered to add it in my list anymore.. But if I would add it probably the score will be 6 or lower.

Jan 8, 2019 2:21 AM

Mar 2018
CallMeHoot said:
MdotO said:
Inb4 someone says fmab.

A lot of things are a matter of taste but I don't think there is a metric that exists whereby someone could judge Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as being "bad" without being purposefully contrarian.

Yep, fair enough. I also think it's one of the those rare shows almost everyone would find at least 'good'(7.5/10 or sth like that)
Jan 8, 2019 4:32 AM

May 2018
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:
One Piece.....yep I said it roast me lmao. To be fare a lot of anime's I like people have on this list as well XD

People like to eat up One Piece as if it's the finest piece of poetry ever written. It really isn't.
PersonanoJan 8, 2019 4:39 AM
Jan 8, 2019 4:40 AM

May 2018
joshua10red said:
I watched it on TV long before I made my account and the anime was pretty bad and kinda pathetic.. I didn't even bothered to add it in my list anymore.. But if I would add it probably the score will be 6 or lower.

I really enjoyed FMAB but so much was going on at once throughout the entire series that I began losing track. Too much to keep in mind at once.
Jan 8, 2019 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
The entire “What Anime Do You Hate?” genre. They consistently get high scores, but they’re all more or less identical in premise and rarely play with new ideas.
Jan 8, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2017
Toradora- one of the singular biggest overrated show out there. Criticize it even one bit on forums and a lynch mob will appear out of nowhere. Aisaka Taiga is annoying af and there is nothing redeeming about her character. In fact, there is not even a single likeable character in that show.

Oreigaru - wannabe, edgy, pseudo-introvert trash that is equally hyped like a mfc****
Jan 8, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2012
GITS: SAC is probably my biggest one. It's just far too much of a cop show. Plus I don't like its fanservice.
Jan 8, 2019 5:22 AM

Feb 2018
Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT.

Goku&co. meet a new enemy. Enemy is stronger. They use uberfantastic moves that destroy everything but the enemy. They get beaten. Retreat, have some training/find a magic solution. Face the enemy again, win.
Repeat in loop.

Also "Namecc is going to explode in 5 minutes" and then it takes like 26 episodes.

F**k you Toriyama, give me back the abandoned Pirate Base and the chinese/japanese folklore.
They were like the ant, which can see small objects but not large ones.

Jan 8, 2019 6:27 AM

May 2018
MechaZugzwang said:
Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT.

Goku&co. meet a new enemy. Enemy is stronger. They use uberfantastic moves that destroy everything but the enemy. They get beaten. Retreat, have some training/find a magic solution. Face the enemy again, win.
Repeat in loop.

I'm nearing the end of Kai and..to be honest, I dread Super. I've heard people saying it's a lot more childish and full of gags than Z, kind of like the original Dragon Ball.
Jan 8, 2019 6:41 AM

Feb 2018
GoldenWind said:

I'm nearing the end of Kai and..to be honest, I dread Super. I've heard people saying it's a lot more childish and full of gags than Z, kind of like the original Dragon Ball.

It's true, but it's not enough. It's not "original".
Dragon Ball was naive, was fantasy, was folkloristic. DB Super is more like the Death Magnetic album by Metallica: a failed attempt to get back to the origins that made a product so good.

DB should have been shut down with the first saga.
It didn't deserve the Simpsons' treatment (I call it Therapeutic Persecution), it's like milking a cow even after it's dead for excessive milking.
They were like the ant, which can see small objects but not large ones.

Jan 8, 2019 6:44 AM

May 2018
complice said:
nisekoi

i dropped that shit 3 minutes after the opening

Wise choice. You just save yourself from wasting time.
Jan 8, 2019 8:51 AM
Dec 2018
Not that I can't stand it, it's mostly that I never finished it (watched like 4 episodes) and never will as it just didn't have me hooked nor interested the slightest bit. I get why people compare it to Death Note (the reason I decide to watch it) but in the end it just wasn't as good. Now the marvelous reveal of the anime that I'm talking about...Code Geass!
Jan 8, 2019 12:16 PM

Jul 2015
Fullmetal alchemist and Gintama, i just do not get the appeal of these shows
i heard Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is better and that Gintama gets funnier over time but i just do not care
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Jan 8, 2019 2:15 PM

Aug 2018
So how long does Dragon Ball take to get good? Because all I have seen of it so far has been purely boring. Seems like one of those shows you have to have grown up with in order to find it anything other than average.
Jan 8, 2019 2:30 PM

Jan 2019
RainShift_2 said:
So how long does Dragon Ball take to get good? Because all I have seen of it so far has been purely boring. Seems like one of those shows you have to have grown up with in order to find it anything other than average.

Dragon Ball Z Kai is a decent place to start. It's kind of like a remastered/abridged version of Dragon Ball Z with a lot of pointless filler episodes taken out to give it better pacing. I mean it's still Dragon Ball but it gets going a lot quicker.

Doing this means you miss out on the original Dragon Ball arcs which is basically "Goku as a kid, Piccolo as the big bad." but to be honest there's only so much time in the day and if you just want to start watching and be entertained give DBZ Kai a try.
CallMeHootJan 8, 2019 2:40 PM
Jan 8, 2019 3:36 PM
May 2017
Anowser said:
Re Zero, I can't stand that piece of shit called Subaru. Nothing likable in this MC, i still don't understand why so many people praise him

because he isn't some OP jesus-kun that solves everything without trying and is always right about everything, he is instead a deeply flawed individual with far too much pride and impulsiveness for his own good, his story is about overcoming these flaws

OneNaughtyBear said:
Re Zero.

I probably would've enjoyed it more if Subaru wasn't such a cunt

is it because he rejected Rem?

DeimoZ said:
Re:Zero - Subaru is just pure abomination.

this is a very vague complaint
Jan 8, 2019 3:52 PM

Dec 2017
Shinsekai Yori full stop. I've never in my life wanted something to burn as much as that anime

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Jan 8, 2019 5:41 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
shigimo said:
ttgl, lotgh,
and while i like fma 2003 a lot, fma:b is just god fucking awful.

I don’t like gainax. TTGL is boring, FLCL is nonsensical bullshit, and both Gunbuster and Diebuster had fanservice crap and Nono is infuriating.

why do you dislike FMAB though?
LeonhartAugustJan 8, 2019 5:57 PM
Jan 8, 2019 8:31 PM

May 2018
RainShift_2 said:
So how long does Dragon Ball take to get good? Because all I have seen of it so far has been purely boring.

Where abouts are you at in the story? I can try help.
Jan 8, 2019 8:32 PM

May 2018
Tommeow said:
Shinsekai Yori full stop. I've never in my life wanted something to burn as much as that anime

My 'burn in hell' anime would definitely be Eromanga-sensei. A friend recommended it to me and good lord ..where's God when you need him?
Jan 8, 2019 8:35 PM
Oct 2018
Hunter X Hunter it feels childish

Dragon Ball Overrated
Jan 8, 2019 8:44 PM

May 2018
XanderDreyar said:

Before heading into Hunter x Hunter, I too thought I thought it'd be childish just from looking at the promotional art for it.

Boy was I wrong.

Jan 8, 2019 8:50 PM
Oct 2018
GoldenWind said:
XanderDreyar said:

Boy was I wrong.

I watched 9 episodes and my main problem was with Gon and Killua. Do they both mature as the story unfolds?
I also dislike Gon's shorts and all green clothes but I can look past it if the story is great.
Jan 8, 2019 8:55 PM

May 2018
XanderDreyar said:
XanderDreyar said:

I watched 9 episodes and my main problem was with Gon and Killua. Do they both mature as the story unfolds?
I also dislike Gon's shorts and all green clothes but I can look past it if the story is great.

Killua matures the most out of the pair. He was already fairly mature at the start. Gon, while still cheery, does change a little bit. Overall however, he's still the same happy-go-lucky character. The series certainly isn't childish though.

It really gets awesome during the Heaven's Arena arc, which is episodes 27-36 of the 2011 adaptation. Give it another shot, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And hey, if you end up not liking it, then that's fine! Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
Jan 9, 2019 12:02 AM

Jun 2015
Young Black Jack
Fairy Tail
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Read Toriko!
Jan 9, 2019 12:11 AM

Nov 2017
Any anime with annoying (tsundere) female lead/side character or if the female is more op than the male.
Jan 9, 2019 2:40 AM

Jan 2017
Jan 9, 2019 4:39 AM

Jul 2016
GoldenWind said:
joshua10red said:

I really enjoyed FMAB but so much was going on at once throughout the entire series that I began losing track. Too much to keep in mind at once.

Well, i kinda agree that FMAB is a bit overrated, despite its good storyline. The thing that make it is a bit overrated is the MC himself. Eventhough FMAB is a shounen anime, but the MC himself is the most useless shounen MC that i ever watched. If it not because of its storyline, i would have given it 6 out of 10.

Jan 9, 2019 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
I would say it's One Piece. The obvious reason is that damn long episode. I watched it once, then i dropped it after the 100th-or-more episode.

Jan 9, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2017
Boku dake ga inai machi. There is some anime that i don't like that much as FMAB and One Piece, but Bokumachi is the only one that i "can't stand"
Jan 9, 2019 5:38 AM
Jan 2018
clannad:after story, people expect you to suffer through 17ep just for one payoff episode

also fma:b, but I gave it anoda try and forced myself to like it.

One punch man- oh god, so boring

Katanagatari- Stupidest anime of all time, so stupid it's funny

Ttgl - sorry I restarted it twice after dropping and I still can't
TheRealLaJan 9, 2019 5:43 AM
Jan 9, 2019 5:48 AM

Nov 2017
The first one that I got in my mind is Attack on Titan. I don't get the hype for this story, boring fights and bad drawn characters. The only good thing they have is one epic Art which got re-used plenty of times. That's all.

All Sword Art Online seasons and movies are to high scored. It's an over all bad series with a male protargonist who deserves all the hate.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Jan 9, 2019 6:29 AM

Mar 2017
Shokugeki no soma

Actually one of the most overrated trash anime I've seen in a while. Not even a single interesting character in this garbage anime, and season 2 was absolute garbage.
Jan 9, 2019 7:20 AM

Mar 2016
MABfan11 said:
Anowser said:
Re Zero, I can't stand that piece of shit called Subaru. Nothing likable in this MC, i still don't understand why so many people praise him

because he isn't some OP jesus-kun that solves everything without trying and is always right about everything, he is instead a deeply flawed individual with far too much pride and impulsiveness for his own good, his story is about overcoming these flaws

OneNaughtyBear said:
Re Zero.

I probably would've enjoyed it more if Subaru wasn't such a cunt

DeimoZ said:
Re:Zero - Subaru is just pure abomination.

Whoopsies, someone is triggered...

Ne: Dreamy Kid
Fi: Edgelord
Te: Shit-talker
Si: Borderline OCD
Jan 9, 2019 7:45 AM
Nov 2018
Another thread for hipsters circle-jerking their hatred for popular things while ignoring their own shit tastes.
Jan 9, 2019 7:48 AM
May 2017
DeimoZ said:
MABfan11 said:

i really don't understand your complaint, because it says nothing about why you hate him
Jan 9, 2019 7:56 AM
Nov 2018
Idk if this is famous. I didn't exactly hate it, I actually liked in the beginning, but kater half was so poor that I thought that was a waste of time and it became my first and only hated anime, Trinity blood. But then a year later I felt I still liked the first half and decided maybe the source is better and studio fucked up, then I saw the forums here on mal and got to know that the writer was dead and the series was continued by his friend. That was actually kind of relief because I liked the first part very much and thought well we can't really expect for someone to follow the original author well. But I'll still give it a try sometime.
Jan 9, 2019 7:57 AM
Nov 2018
Zekerets said:
Another thread for hipsters circle-jerking their hatred for popular things while ignoring their own shit tastes.

I like this truth, I stopped reading halfway of this forum because I knew if I continued reading, I'd keep on getting more triggered and would want an internet war.
Jan 9, 2019 8:11 AM

Mar 2016
Hero Academia. It is too cliched and predictable. Usually, writers know if their work is predictable, so they add something unpredictable right after their predictable scenes. It seems Hero Academia's writer has no idea the story is predictable, and thus adds nothing that makes the story special at all.
Jan 9, 2019 8:20 AM

Mar 2018
"Jojo's Crazy Adventure" I tried to watch the show but I never disliked any MCs more than the ones from Yoyo (a bunch of macho a-holes) and gave up on the show fairly early on. I never got into "One Pice" which seems to be going on forever but I really do not like the style. I have just started watching "Mob 100" and I cannot say I am even remotely vowed and watching the first two episodes was a chore. Not sure if I want to watch more.
Jan 9, 2019 8:41 AM

Mar 2016
MABfan11 said:
DeimoZ said:

I really don't understand your complaint, because it says nothing about why you hate him

He isn't a flawed individual like what you've mentioned before instead he is, well, to put it simply, just an overdramatic badly written character. All he does is just screaming and crying over the dead waifus and it goes on until it loses the impact it had before. The author is basically just desperate for sympathy by mindlessly throwing these torture porn over and over.

Ne: Dreamy Kid
Fi: Edgelord
Te: Shit-talker
Si: Borderline OCD
Jan 9, 2019 8:45 AM
Nov 2018
shelra said:
Zekerets said:

I like this truth, I stopped reading halfway of this forum because I knew if I continued reading, I'd keep on getting more triggered and would want an internet war.

This kind of threads are a waste of time and pretty lame as well. Also why get triggered? You have no reason to.
Jan 9, 2019 8:49 AM
Nov 2018
[quote=Zekerets][quote=shelra message=56683004]
Zekerets said:
Zekerets said:

This kind of threads are a waste of time and pretty lame as well. Also why get triggered? You have no reason to.

Well you're right, I'll just say fuck it and move on
Jan 9, 2019 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
Zekerets said:

So, what, do you like absolutely every anime that is popular? are there absolutely no exceptions for you?
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Jan 9, 2019 11:53 AM

Aug 2018
Serial Experiments Lain. I can't believe it's so highly rated.

Also Angel Beats. I kinda liked it at the beginning, but the plot makes absolutely no sense. The OST is really good tho.
Jan 9, 2019 11:55 AM

Jan 2019
Railgun and Index. I can't stand the characters or world. I'm a fan of Sci-Fi and magic and stuff, but the "explanations" these shows give the audience on how some of these kids do stuff is insanely absurd.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 31 minutes ago

7 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 8 hours ago

33 by SparksOfSerenity »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

134 by Fluffygreygrass »»
8 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

94 by Lawgun »»
29 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

215 by LostSpectre »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.