Forum Settings
Forums

If you love KyoAni, can you name their worst anime?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 9, 2019 6:54 AM

Apr 2015
I kind of agree with Musaigen no Phantom world, but I don't understand why there is suddenly so much hate against Kyoukai no Kanata. It was very amazing in my opinion.
Jan 9, 2019 6:58 AM

Jun 2015
I'm really frustrated with KyoAni's more recent works. They're mostly terribly boring or generic with overly flashy visuals to get high ratings. Amagi Brilliant Park somehow manages to be terrible in the most bland way possible. Then you have Tsurune which is just plain boring and nothing else.

I am also not saying that the old KyoAni was perfect; Haruhi season 2 is a trainwreck, but at least it was bad in an interesting way. Like who in their right mind thought the Endless Eight was a good idea for an adaptation? Still, they had far more hits than misses.

KyoAni's downfall started after Chuunibyou for me. Their shows just got really freaking boring. Kyoukai no Kanata had a great first episode that reminded me a lot of Chuunibyou but it plummeted in its entertainment factor after that first episode. Every show since then aside from Dragon Maid have had the same problem of feeling being more disposable than the last.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Jan 9, 2019 7:05 AM

Feb 2015
Amagi Brilliant Park so far. Haven't seen Musaigen, but I doubt it can be worse.
Jan 9, 2019 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
From what I've seen I'm going to have to give it to season 2 of Free! Overly dramatic in the worst ways and Haruka bores me to tears.
Jan 9, 2019 7:15 AM

Oct 2013
Aemnesias said:
Amagi Brilliant Park so far. Haven't seen Musaigen, but I doubt it can be worse.

Well watch it then and you will see if it can't be worse
Jan 9, 2019 7:18 AM

Feb 2015
Titadou said:
Aemnesias said:

Well watch it then and you will see if it can't be worse

Dw that's planned. This'll probably take some time though, since i luckily don't often feel like watching a trashy show.
Jan 9, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2018
I can't watch Nichijou, it so cringey
Jan 9, 2019 8:54 AM

Jul 2014
Chuunibyou and Amagi are their low points IMO. KnK was very mediocre but not offensive (mostly, the girl was kinda offensive but mildly so)

Hibike was competent and had some memorable moments, but was dragged out too much, and the fandom was highly cringeworthy with their lesbian headcanon.

Violet Evergarden is the "we're sorry for everything since Hyouka" anime where they tried too hard. Working up the willpower to keep going but it's difficult. There's such a thing as overpolish.

Even if KyoAni keep spiraling the drain I'll always be grateful for Nichijou, Hyouka and Haruhi, all masterpieces. Nichijou especially, not only the best anime of all time but the best comedy across all mediums, handily beating Monty Python and the IT Crowd. Then there's K-On and Lucky Star, which were enjoyable, despite not being classics.

EDIT: Forgot Musaigen no Phantom Anime. Took one look at the announcement and forgot about it. Cash-in for lowbrows, much like Amagi.
Red_TuesdayJan 9, 2019 8:58 AM
Jan 9, 2019 9:05 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not interested in their female targeted series with bishounens, I didnt watch Nyoron Churuya-san, Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai and Nichijou yet, but the worst one from everthing else would be either Violet Evergarden or Lucky Star. First one is really bland and targetted to normies (Netflix Exclusive™) + pretty visuals, second one is literally "How to Not Adopt Yonkoma Manga: The Animation". Even Kyoukai no Kanata was kinda okayish.
Akerakai said:
Kyoanimation should go back to adapting key works

Harmonia,summer pockets and a 2 cour air remake

A rewrite remake wouldn't hurt too

And general visual novels. There is a ton of great visual novels waiting for proper adaptations.
rsc-plJan 9, 2019 9:16 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 13, 2019 9:33 PM

Mar 2017
Sorry for waking up old thread, but there's more interesting replies here.

So far, most ppl have agreed that both KnK and Musaigen was a total trainwreck by KyoAni. Heck, i even wonder why they go with two part movie for KnK lmao. I also agree with the notion that KyoAni inhouse period was bad and it wasn't until Hibike that they finally be great again.

Tsurune, their most recent work at the time of this reply, was kind of okay. It's not great, but it's not bad either, with satisfying conclusion that can lead up to a proper sequel if enough demand warrants it.

Their upcoming works are Violet Evergarden film, 2 Free films, Kobayashi sequel and 20 seiki denki mokuroku. Out of all, i'm hyped for Kobayashi and Violet Evergarden's continuation.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 15, 2019 9:08 PM

Apr 2015
Kyoto Animation has made some interested and disappointed works but nothing comes closed to the following (in order):

1) Violet Evergarden
2) Kyoukai no Kanata
3) Air
4) Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
5) Musaigen no Phantom World
Apr 16, 2019 2:31 AM

Oct 2012
Clannad and Clannad After Story are among the worst anime I've seen. Most of KyoAni is below average. Their probably best works are A Silent Voice, Suzumiya Haruhi, then Hyouka, in that order.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 25, 2019 12:12 PM

Oct 2016
I'm sorry for bumping this topic, but I think my least favorite KyoAni anime would have to be either Phantom World, which was surprisingly not very interesting, or AIR, which I'm sorry but I just couldn't get into.
English dubs can be just as good as the original Japanese.
Jun 25, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2015
People are really saying Clannad...smh.

Jun 25, 2019 12:37 PM

Oct 2016
Maybe they're referring to Clannad Season 1, which isn't as good as Clannad After Story.
English dubs can be just as good as the original Japanese.
Jun 25, 2019 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not the biggest expert on KyoAni, but out of their "mainstream" stuff, probably Free!
Jun 25, 2019 2:31 PM

Nov 2014
Many people are saying Phantom World, but i didn't have the pleasure to watch it, so i'll go for the ones i watched. I must admit Air and The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya pissed me off the most while i watched them, I have a special place in the black hole i have on my heart for Chuunibyo. God, that anime didn't need to exist.
Jun 25, 2019 2:42 PM

Jan 2018
BlancaXLobo said:
I have a special place in the black hole i have on my heart for Chuunibyo. God, that anime didn't need to exist.

Yeah, that show was utter trash. The worst part was that the first couple episodes led me to believe it would actually be a decent comedy, but the dramatic aspects ruined everything the story had going for it.

Tbh Violet Evergarden is the only series from Kyo that I've made it past the first episode of and actually enjoyed.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 25, 2019 3:02 PM

Aug 2018
Amagi Brilliant Park , probably the worst anime I have ever watched

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Jun 25, 2019 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
fREE!/High Speepeed! Horribly generic story that is way too overdramatic/melodramatic. Paifully annoying characters that are nothing but fap material for girls. But at least the animation and the soudtracks are great.
Jun 25, 2019 7:29 PM

Mar 2017
I only watched some but so far it's Kyoukai no Kanata.
Jun 25, 2019 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
I don't hate Kyoukai no Kanata unlike a lot of people
Musaigen was probably their most mediocre, though the animation quality was still stellar. It had bare bones workings and I heard the second LN took a dark turn, shame that the show was overloaded with kyoani trying to do bad fanservice, if they got a second season and adapted the darker second LN it probably wouldn't be as mediocre.

I liked Hyouka because at the time it was very uplifting to me during a dark spot in my life, and I identified way too much with Oreki, and Free! for having a weird gaggle of attractive men in swimming competitions? I like most of Kyoani's works I've seen.
Jun 25, 2019 8:49 PM

Oct 2014
KyoAni's worst are easily Musaigen and Chuunibyou. I'm not a fan of Violet Evergarden and Kyoukai no Kanata either though they're definitely not as bad as the other two.
Jun 26, 2019 3:37 AM

Sep 2017
I'm going to be sacrilegious and say it is Clannad.
Jun 26, 2019 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, from kyoani anime that I have watched. I believe that musaigen no phanthom world didn't impress me so much. Character is bland and not really much development also the story not really hook me
Jun 26, 2019 3:47 AM

Mar 2018
I get Musaigen, it's probably the weakest KyoAni show and it's not the genre they usually pick up in the first place. But why KnK has this much hate? It's better than most popular shounen shows imo.

Jun 26, 2019 3:58 AM

Oct 2013
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Luckyβ˜†Star
Musaigen no Phantom World
Amagi Brilliant Park
Jun 26, 2019 4:01 AM

Oct 2013
honeycrush said:

try to watch it
it's awesome and funny
Jun 26, 2019 4:07 AM

May 2018
From what I have checked from them - Amagi Brilliant Park and Musaigen no Phantom World.
(Also couldn't bear the first episode of Euphonium...but maybe I am unfair and it's not that insufferably melodramatic from this point onward...)
Jun 26, 2019 4:22 AM

Jun 2011
Musaigen no Phantom World because I dropped it...

And Munto. Definitely Munto. By far. Even if I hate Clannad. I would say their actual worst is Munto.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 26, 2019 5:40 AM

Nov 2018
Sawada-SA said:
honeycrush said:

try to watch it
it's awesome and funny

yeah i watched like 7 eps it's not that bad
Jun 26, 2019 5:45 AM

Jun 2019
alshu said:
(Also couldn't bear the first episode of Euphonium...but maybe I am unfair and it's not that insufferably melodramatic from this point onward...)
I pushed myself through the whole first season because of how well praised it is and no, it doesn't get less insufferably melodramatic as it goes on. From what I've heard the 2nd season is even worse in that aspect.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 26, 2019 5:53 AM

Feb 2019
Amagi brilliant park, it was good until a certain point halfway through.
& Musaigen phantom World, the whole cast is dull & The writing is really Mediocre.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 26, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2015
KyoAni, as the best anime studio ever, never did an atrocious anime.
But if I would have to point out the worst, I'll say Musaigen no Phantom World.
It was great visuals as usual, but the cringy attempt at fanservice in ep 1 was irredeemable.

Jun 26, 2019 6:20 AM

Oct 2016
Kyoukai no Kanata & Haruhii (S2) for sure
What a disgrace...
Jun 26, 2019 6:21 AM

Apr 2013
Full Metal Panic was the worst one I watched so far, gave it a 4/10. But I'm not a big fan of mecha in general.
Jun 26, 2019 9:57 PM

Dec 2016
Hard to pick one when they've done so much terrible stuff like Clannad, After Story, K-On!, Lucky Star, Violet Evergarden and the Kobayashi degeneration.
Jun 26, 2019 10:08 PM

Sep 2010
Very easily! Air, Kyokai no Kanata, Musaigen no Phantom World, and Lucky Star
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 27, 2019 12:47 PM
May 2017
The worst I've seen is Amagi Brilliant Park. Its pretty vapid, and besides from cute character designs, it doesn't offer much else.
Jun 27, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2011
Munto TV (Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai) or Musaigen no Phantom World. I don't consider either show to be completely terrible, but both are pretty bland and forgettable, and probably weren't worth the time I spent watching them.
Jun 27, 2019 1:11 PM

May 2008
clannad after story, the first season was bad but after story? cringefest
Jun 27, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2018
it's really few tbh but If I would pick one it would be FREE!. expecting sport elements like kuroko basketball and haikyuu, unfortunately, it's not. too much drama, too much talk, and an uncessary plot line.

I'm really surprised many people didn't like musaigen and amagi brilliant park that much even though I really like both of it enough to reach my top 5 anime from kyoto animation...I wonder why.

Jun 27, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like many of the KyoAni anime. Well, I like some, but I never really liked them so much.
My favorite would be Koe no Katachi and I have to watch Hibike, since I guess, I will like it.
Also, Kyoukai no Kanata wasn't that great, but it made me happy (somehow?). xD

My least favorites are Maid Dragon and some others. I never could get into Clannad etc. or some others. Also, I dropped Nichijou very soon.
Jun 27, 2019 1:21 PM

Jun 2017
Komugi-chan but that also isn't popular so I go with Violet Evergarden
Jul 13, 2019 6:43 PM

Mar 2016
Musaigen Phantom World was definitely the worst, imo, if you’re talking about the popular ones.

KyoAni is one of my favorite studios, but I do have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it.
Feb 7, 2021 5:26 AM
Jun 2020
To be honest kyoanis works basically reflect the sourve materials so if that good so will be the anime if not oh well
Feb 7, 2021 5:36 AM

Oct 2015
Worst franchise is Musaigen no Phantom World. I still had a good time with it though. If anything it's a bit underrated.

The worst thing they've done overall is Haruhi season 2. But even that was pretty good.
Feb 7, 2021 5:38 AM

Feb 2019
I would tell nichijou, one of the worst anime i have watched in my life
Feb 7, 2021 5:45 AM
Jun 2015
All of them except Clannad after story.
Feb 7, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2016
I don't love KyoAni but I respect them as studio. This said, Clannad: After Story and Free!: Dive to the Future are the ones with the lowest score in my list (3/10 each).
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

96 by rho34 »»
1 minute ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 1 hour ago

2 by LightWorker »»
3 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

27 by joseifan »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

207 by JessicaKari »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.