Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
Jan 7, 2019 9:39 PM

Jan 2017
Challenge Period: January 01, 2019 to December 15, 2019 (PST)
Use this thread to
  • Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @AWC_mod
    --- When donating badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying)
    [code]image(s) here[/code]

--- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.
  • Alternatively, join the discussion on discord and help others, ask questions and/or give suggestions related to the challenge.

Avoid in this thread

• Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

Two kind participants have decided to prepare two different spreadsheets that will help those trying the challenge to update their posts.

Dysp said:
I just finished writing a post for the spreadsheet
(The post is a bit long, so) Find more info here.

Aeradae said:
I know this was done already, but I've created a slightly different spreadsheet for the anime watching challenge if anyone would like to use it: Blog Link

Changes
— [Jan 13] added clarification to FAQ #11
AWC_modNov 16, 2019 5:30 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2019 9:40 PM
a lil bean โœจ

Feb 2011
Will be used for some examples for items , later on
Just reserved for the just in case.......
SheyCroixMay 11, 2019 12:21 PM

แƒฆ HiScore แƒฆ LoScore แƒฆ Auction

แƒฆ Turn-Ins แƒฆ AWCc

แ“šแ˜แ—ข

Jan 7, 2019 9:40 PM
a lil bean โœจ

Feb 2011
Well, everyone. Let's have a good year once again..... I really hope everyone will read the explanations this time....
SheyCroixJan 8, 2019 3:02 AM

แƒฆ HiScore แƒฆ LoScore แƒฆ Auction

แƒฆ Turn-Ins แƒฆ AWCc

แ“šแ˜แ—ข

Jan 7, 2019 9:51 PM

Aug 2017
Good luck to all of you! I hope that I can watch everything I can.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 7, 2019 9:53 PM

Dec 2018
My first ever AWC! Good luck to all of you!
Jan 7, 2019 9:53 PM

Jan 2018
New system looks great! It was definitely worth the wait.

Good luck with your challenges everybody :)
Jan 7, 2019 9:54 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Good luck to everyone
Let's help each other reach new heights (in terms of watching anime that is)
Jan 7, 2019 9:54 PM

Jul 2016
Good luck everyone. It seems like this year's gonna be amazing.

Though I have a few questions: in the 'Signing Up' rules, what do you mean by 'item list'? Would it be only what's inside the challenge items spoiler?? Or the whole form? Am I only allowed to change the colors?

EDIT: Just saw the note.
hirodakeJan 7, 2019 9:58 PM

x5

Good times become good memories, but bad times become good lessons.
Uncle Iroh
Jan 7, 2019 9:59 PM

Oct 2013
Good luck everyone!
(and RIP for my master of types friends)

But I just realized that the "sections" thing make it almost impossible to use the on-going 2019 animes for the expert level
Jan 7, 2019 9:59 PM

Dec 2018
I have a question! Sorry if this is a dumb one, but what does the sign up code mean by "Anime in Forum Set"?
Jan 7, 2019 10:01 PM

Oct 2013
jiro-kyoka said:
I have a question! Sorry if this is a dumb one, but what does the sign up code mean by "Anime in Forum Set"?

Your forum set have Boku no Hero Academia, ya get it ? aha
Jan 7, 2019 10:02 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
One thing I wonder about, for the regions practicing DST, would they have to edit their timezone information were they to submit during summer?
@Flipsard
RanacchiJan 7, 2019 10:17 PM
Jan 7, 2019 10:04 PM

Dec 2018
Titadou said:
jiro-kyoka said:

Your forum set have Boku no Hero Academia, ya get it ? aha

That makes sense lol. Thank you for clarifying ^^
Jan 7, 2019 10:11 PM

Dec 2018
flipsard said:
jiro-kyoka said:

It is basically your forum pfp and the part you have with the banner, so like someone said you have Boku No hero Academia and cells at work in your forum signature.

Thanks again for clarifying! I'm still very new to MAL and very unsure about formatting things!
Jan 7, 2019 10:13 PM

Dec 2017
jiro-kyoka said:
flipsard said:

It is basically your forum pfp and the part you have with the banner, so like someone said you have Boku No hero Academia and cells at work in your forum signature.

Thanks again for clarifying! I'm still very new to MAL and very unsure about formatting things!

Welcome to MAL, if you have any questions about the challenge feel free to tag me or any of the other team members~

@Ranacchi

It is fine, you can just post your local timezone regardless whether you are practicing DST or not, no need to change it later on or specify that.
flipsardJan 7, 2019 10:24 PM
Jan 7, 2019 10:29 PM

Aug 2017
26. Watch an anime with a full English title.

Can you recommend some anime to watch?

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 7, 2019 10:44 PM

Dec 2017
Nurguburu said:

sure I can try my best~
Here are some from your PTW,

Obviously my all time fav Monster, but you might not want something that long so here are some other

Another
Drifters
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
Prison School

If you would like any others just let me know.
Jan 7, 2019 10:46 PM

Dec 2018
Nurguburu said:

Angel Beats!, Banana Fish, Death Parade, Date a Live, Gamers!, Just Because!, New Game!...to name a few.
Jan 7, 2019 10:48 PM

Dec 2012
Nurguburu said:

Since you like 91 Days & Gangsta, I recommend Gungrave
ZekkenshinJan 8, 2019 12:12 AM
Jan 7, 2019 11:05 PM

Sep 2018
Welp, good luck guys! Also doing the master of TV restriction is something I'm probably gonna regret lol
Jan 7, 2019 11:15 PM

Apr 2009
Hi there! I would like clarification on one little thing... You don't need to have each section inspected before you can move on to next section, do you? I thought the wording wasn't entirely clear whether you do or not, if you intend to complete all sections eventually (and have them inspected).

Thanks in advance =)
Jan 7, 2019 11:21 PM

Apr 2017
Ph0esz said:
Hi there! I would like clarification on one little thing... You don't need to have each section inspected before you can move on to next section, do you? I thought the wording wasn't entirely clear whether you do or not, if you intend to complete all sections eventually (and have them inspected).

Thanks in advance =)

They don't have to be inspected after every section, when you're ready to move on, just paste the next section of code. ๐Ÿ‘

Even if helping people is easy,
asking for help is a hurdle of it's own.
Kaoru Gojou

Jan 7, 2019 11:23 PM

Dec 2017
Ph0esz said:

Thanks in advance =)

No you don't just as TimidSquid said, just add each section onto the end of your code and then once you are done with your whole challenge turn it in once :)
Jan 7, 2019 11:25 PM

Jan 2014
Btw should the completed anime at sign up include the anime I watched in Jan?
Jan 7, 2019 11:32 PM

Dec 2018
Transience said:

Yes. As quoted by the FAQ: "You can use any anime you started watching during the challenge period (January 1, 2019 - December 15, 2019) regardless of when you posted your sign-up form. Do remember to state the start date the same as the one for the earliest watched anime."
Jan 7, 2019 11:36 PM

Aug 2017
@flipsard Oh, thanks. I forget that I started Fate UBW S1 some days ago xD. I want to watch Monster but I leave that for Expert or at least Advanced.

Thanks jiro-kyoka and Bayek too.

Jan 7, 2019 11:37 PM

Jan 2014
jiro-kyoka said:
Transience said:

Yes. As quoted by the FAQ: "You can use any anime you started watching during the challenge period (January 1, 2019 - December 15, 2019) regardless of when you posted your sign-up form. Do remember to state the start date the same as the one for the earliest watched anime."
flipsard said:
Transience said:

However many completed you had when you posted your sign up is what you need to state. So if you have completed anime this year before you signed up include them.
Ah ok, thanks for helping :) I'll edit
Jan 7, 2019 11:43 PM

May 2012
Any suggestions for "Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors:"?
Jan 7, 2019 11:48 PM

Mar 2016
For "Watch an anime with a full English title" can I use Cyborg 009? Already watched it earlier this month.
Jan 7, 2019 11:52 PM

Dec 2018
usualuniqueness said:
Any suggestions for "Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors:"?

Since it's on your PTW list, Lucky Star?
Jan 7, 2019 11:58 PM

May 2012
jiro-kyoka said:
usualuniqueness said:

Oh, thank you! Didn't even think about that one.

I was also wondering about the "Watch an original anime", since the example image below it shows an anime listed with "source: card game". What counts as a original anime? I'm a bit confused about the example image.
Jan 8, 2019 12:03 AM

Dec 2017
usualuniqueness said:
jiro-kyoka said:

I was also wondering about the "Watch an original anime", since the example image below it shows an anime listed with "source: card game". What counts as a original anime? I'm a bit confused about the example image.

That is showing you an example of where the source area is, it has to say what it needs to there, either Visual, Light Novel, Card Game or Game, or Original.
Jan 8, 2019 12:03 AM

Mar 2016
flipsard said:
Jojobro said:
For "Watch an anime with a full English title" can I use Cyborg 009? Already watched it earlier this month.

As long as you watched it this year, should be valid.

Alright, I just wanted to know because I wasn't sure if numbers counted as English.
Jan 8, 2019 12:04 AM

Dec 2018
usualuniqueness said:
jiro-kyoka said:

Basically, an original anime is an anime that isn't based on a manga, light novel, etc. It's a completely original idea. What the image they provided is showing is an anime that's based on a card game. An original anime's source should be listed as 'Original' on their MAL page.

I agree, the image they provided was kind of confusing, but it was showing where to check the source on an anime.
Jan 8, 2019 12:20 AM

Aug 2017
usualuniqueness said:
jiro-kyoka said:

It seems that they made a mistake with that image..The source needs to say "original".

Don't worry, I'll ask to SheyCroix to change that.

No. That image is just an example of how find the source but it was a bit confusing because is below of that item.
NurguburuJan 8, 2019 12:43 AM
Jan 8, 2019 12:28 AM

Apr 2011
This is the 5th one, correct? 2015, 16, 17, 18 and now 19. I passed the first 2, failed the 3rd and gave up the 4th half way. Here's to hoping I can finish it this time.

That being said, I propose that this thread be stickied as well.
Jan 8, 2019 12:52 AM

Oct 2014
Can I make anime watching dates in my form bold? That way it's easier for me to see which items I've already completed.
Jan 8, 2019 12:54 AM

Jan 2012
What is Anime+ and do I have to register there to complete the challenge?
Jan 8, 2019 12:59 AM

Dec 2012
I have a question regarding:
Watch an anime with a full English title — has to be on the main title used here on MAL; if part of the title has words in another language it won't count; alternative titles don't count; one letter and number only titles don't count; excludes titles that uses someone's name

Does that mean I can't use a show if it's named after the main character? And more specifically, does that mean I can't use Goblin Slayer because the main character's name also happens to be Goblin Slayer?
Jan 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Dec 2017
ColdBlackTeaFan said:
What is Anime+ and do I have to register there to complete the challenge?

Hi, go to this link https://graph.anime.plus/ and put in your MAL username and it will automatically update your anime+ page.

@sdjuuv
Regarding your question, as long as you don't change any date formats, making them bold should be fine.

@Bayek
You have asked a rather difficult question XD, if you don't mind I will wait until I can get another opinion and tell you.
flipsardJan 8, 2019 1:17 AM
Jan 8, 2019 1:56 AM

Jul 2014
@ColdBlackTeaFan
Updating @flipsard answer, you don't have to use that site. You can ignore items requiring Anime+ and use other from the same section.
Jan 8, 2019 2:30 AM

Jun 2009
Initial reaction: The "must finish a level before moving to the next" is concerning in a few ways:

1. As mentioned by @Titadou this system makes watching airing anime problematic, especially 24+ episode shows. I've always felt that the AWC was a good way to encourage myself to watch more seasonal anime as it airs. I'd usually watch 3-6 airing stuff for at least the first two seasons of the year while watching a bunch of finished anime at the same time. But now I could only do that to a point. If I reach my quota for my current level, but I'm still watching airing anime for the Challenge, I'd have to wait a few months for the show(s) to finish before I can move on. I'd have to either watch no other anime in the meantime or watch things without being able to log them for credit. From my perspective, this seems very counter intuitive to the spirit of the Challenge. While I do have other issues with this system, this is the biggest one and I think at the very least there should be a third exception to the rule written for airing anime. Or, even, you could just edit the 50-episode exception: Anime which began airing in 2019 or have more than 50 episodes can be started at any time during the challenge period.

2. What if during final turn-in inspection, something is wrong with a Novice-level item and now you have to watch something new for that level? The dates aren't going to work anymore. Will that be an issue? For last year's Challenge I had an issue come up because some database information changed on me by the time I turned in, but I was able to just move some anime around to different items and make my list valid again. I don't think I'd be able to do that anymore with this system.

3. I'm not sure if this more rigid structure makes the Challenge more fun or provides any other benefit. Before this year started, I had decided that I'd not do the Anime Watching Challenge and go for the Manga Reading Challenge instead. But then I thought I could still go ahead and participate in both, but do the AWC in a more free-form way this year, just watching as much anime as I could and filling in the items wherever they fit every now and then. The leveled structure puts a major dent in that plan, especially in relation to trying to watch airing anime. Sure, I could still do it, but I feel like I'd only be able to reach Novice or Apprentice level now when I'll probably end up watching more than enough anime throughout the year to fulfill Intermediate or Advanced if it wasn't for the leveled system.

Just my two cents on the matter, an initial knee-jerk reaction. I'm still debating what I'll be doing. At least this system shouldn't mess up my plans for the Manga Reading Challenge too much since I was mostly planning to read one thing at a time with that anyway. Hope everyone has a great year! ^_^
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

32 by WatchTillTandava »»
36 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

93 by Zarutaku »»
23 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 1 hour ago

16 by Coaghim »»
24 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
33 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
38 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.