Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2019 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is out on Amazon Prime Japan. That's quite an stylish OP song imo.

We got to know Dororo (the kid) a bit and although a child, I do find him to be a rather interesting character considering the circumstances of his existence. He still behaves like most kids his age though lol. Pretty much a set up for the adventure with the first half of the show.

Animation quality looks solid by MAPPA with a blend between shounen and superatural. Not a big fan of historical series but this one definitely has my interest at the moment.
Stark700Jan 6, 2019 7:25 AM
Jan 6, 2019 7:34 AM
Aug 2018
I just finished the manga a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. Hopefully the show can really elevate the source material.
Jan 6, 2019 7:36 AM

Sep 2017
>TFW you get struck by a lightning right after you were born
Jan 6, 2019 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Lusuki said:
And more excited to see the ending song from Amazarashi which i love it! <3

The ending is beautiful. Amazarashi never disappoints. <3
Jan 6, 2019 8:30 AM

Oct 2018
I find it a shame many people nowadays don't care about great classics. They're too overhyped over action and otherwise trashy shows.
Jan 6, 2019 9:24 AM

Aug 2008
god, i can't wait to be up this o.o i think beside mob is my most expected anime of the winter
The spider is watching
Jan 6, 2019 10:21 AM
Aug 2008
Ending is climatic and awesome.

Opening is ruined by cringe random english parts. It's pathetic.
Jan 6, 2019 10:58 AM

Apr 2018
Not a fan of the opening (the song not the visuals ) and the singer of the opening sounds like there are somthing stuck up in his nose .
Jan 6, 2019 12:46 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty nice. Though there're also some jarring flaws in the animation. I hope it's not a bad sign.
Jan 6, 2019 5:07 PM
Nov 2016
Liked this so far. Had it’s issues but can’t wait to see what’s next.
Jan 6, 2019 6:42 PM
Dec 2015
Amazarashi - Sayonara gokko is filled with sorrow, I felt it!
ugh time to reexperience the feels!
RyuusuiJan 6, 2019 6:49 PM
Jan 6, 2019 11:02 PM
Dec 2016
is anyone subbing this?
Jan 6, 2019 11:06 PM
Jun 2014
Alsus said:
is anyone subbing this?

Since it's streaming on Amazon, there will be official subs so you won't have to wait long for it to uploaded on KissAnime and such (let's be real, hardly anyone would use Amazon for anime).
Jan 7, 2019 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
I like the old opening song xD
Jan 7, 2019 5:29 AM
Apr 2017
The ending and the opening are fucking great, havent watched the episode yet but i'll probably be back when I do.
Jan 7, 2019 7:28 AM
Feb 2017
Kon-Doriano said:
Alsus said:
is anyone subbing this?

Since it's streaming on Amazon, there will be official subs so you won't have to wait long for it to uploaded on KissAnime and such (let's be real, hardly anyone would use Amazon for anime).

well actually a lot of people use Amazon for anime.
Jan 7, 2019 7:31 AM

Feb 2015
I see it up on Amazon right now, but there's no option for English subtitles for me. Is anyone else having this problem?
Jan 7, 2019 7:34 AM
Apr 2016
How many demons are there? In the beggining Hyakkimaru's father says 12 but the wiki says 48... So how is it? Did they change it in the anime?
Jan 7, 2019 7:40 AM
Dec 2015
JanPri said:
How many demons are there? In the beggining Hyakkimaru's father says 12 but the wiki says 48... So how is it? Did they change it in the anime?

In the manga it’s 48 demons. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they changed or adjusted some things in the remake since the manga is dated
RyuusuiJan 7, 2019 7:44 AM
Jan 7, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2018
Priestess_Alva said:
I like the old opening song xD
it's way better than the new one tbh
Jan 7, 2019 9:07 AM

Nov 2016
Finally subbed ^^

Pretty good start, definitely the best one this season( so far). Some technical aspects are bugging me a tiny bit tbh, but the rest is top notch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 7, 2019 9:07 AM

May 2017
OMG I loved everything about this episode. This anime fits my taste exactly!

Love the rough lineart and the oldschool backgrounds.

Loved the atmosphere of this show, the character designs, the animation and the music. The story also seems very promising, the main character on the path of becoming a real human again.. and the end scene that was his brother right? very promising stuff

I'm loving this. It's been a minute since I was this hyped about an anime.

The ending song and the visuals are so lovely. I remember this singer, he made a opening song for my hero academia season 2 if I'm not mistaken
Jan 7, 2019 9:25 AM

May 2017
I gotta say it's fucking good, it's only one episode and the show has already got me invested. Really hoping for great stuff ahead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2019 9:27 AM

May 2017
nits_ said:
Kon-Doriano said:

well actually a lot of people use Amazon for anime.
naah mate that's real unlikely most people watch it from pirated sites.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2019 9:29 AM
Sep 2015
The OP song is fine as I don't want this show to be another Gegege no Kitaro. However, I'm sure this show was made for non-Japanese audience who claim that they love 'true traditional anime'. Might be this year's Devilman Crybaby or Megalo Box.
Jan 7, 2019 9:33 AM

Apr 2016
Well damn.

This was actually great. Just tell me this is a complete adaptation please.
Jan 7, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
TEZUKA SAMA. Man I hope this succeeds and leads to more adaptations of his work
Jan 7, 2019 9:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, what a start!

Really enjoyed the dynamics of this episode, the creative and unique Op(both in sound and the amazing visual), the detailed art style, the general direction and of course the brilliant ED(Amazarashi delivers!). I honestly didn’t have any idea what this story was going to be about, but I’m pleasantly surprised by this! It was brutal when it wanted to be and that’s amazing to have! Main Character’s first few moments of life must have been horrendous, I wonder what the demons did to the child and what the Emperor(father) offered to the demons. His mother still remembers and definitely cares about him though, I wonder if we’ll see a reunion of the family. Really ominous feeling though, considering how the Buddha statue’s head flew off and the damage in the Hall of Hell.
Cool fighting scene at the start with the blind man chopping the demon(?) and the final scene with the main character showing off his skills! Dororo is apparently the kid’s name and he seems like a tough young lad, looking forward to seeing how the duo gets along and their journey. I’m really looking forward to seeing more backstory of the MC and see what exactly this show has in store for us!
_MushiRock11_Jan 7, 2019 9:17 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 7, 2019 10:19 AM
Aug 2018
Pretty solid start and the opening was just perfect. I wonder how i never saw anything about the source material since i read quite a bit of Tezuka. Either way first episode totally approved, anime with this feeling aren't produced much anymore so you always have to go back in time i guess.

Megalo Box was omage to Ashita No Joe, Devilman Crybaby was a remake of Devilman and now this. Honestly i can't complain if they make good anime in the end.
Jan 7, 2019 10:24 AM

Apr 2016
fight-or-flight said:
I see it up on Amazon right now, but there's no option for English subtitles for me. Is anyone else having this problem?

Same problem here. Made me cri a tad inside. I was quite hyped for it.
bear_minimumJan 7, 2019 10:32 AM

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Jan 7, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode.

Really this can be the AOTY.

Jan 7, 2019 10:33 AM

Dec 2017
new MAPPA logo? for a second i thought i'm watching the wrong thing, kek
so far it's pretty mysterious as for what is happening with the doll dude (i don't think i've heard his name yet). but oh well, some kind of demons lurking everywhere. interesting to see what'll come out of this
Jan 7, 2019 10:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
uninstallthegame said:

Lol, I know right, I thought I was watching a Studio Voln, specifically Karakuri Circus, show there. I like it nevertheless even though it clearly looks like a carbon copy with a few edits here and there.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 7, 2019 10:46 AM
Apr 2017
Although it did have some problems regarding character -namely dororo-, animation and choreography, this one episode provided me more than most anime out there and even through it's minor faults did the job of an opening episode pretty great.
Jan 7, 2019 10:51 AM
Apr 2017
AnotherGuy said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
I wonder what the demons did to the child and what the Emperor(father) offered to the demons.

Here's what I think: The 12 demons each took a thing from the child (limbs, eyes, skin, etc), and in return the father gained prosperity for him and his land. The child should've died, but the goddess statuette seems to have sacrificed itself to protect him.

Now the MC is on a quest to defeat all 12 demons and get everything that was stolen from him (on this 1st episode he gets his skin back after defeating demon #1). As a result, the peace and prosperity that the demons brought will slowly go away, leading to the demise of the father (in this ep. we see a war and a mud avalanche happening).

It did say twelve in the anime but it's supposed to be 48 demons that hyakkimaru must defeat in order to regain his body parts.

Jan 7, 2019 10:55 AM
Sep 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
uninstallthegame said:

Lol, I know right, I thought I was watching a Studio Voln, specifically Karakuri Circus, show there. I like it nevertheless even though it clearly looks like a carbon copy with a few edits here and there.
It's the intro for one of the producers: Twin Engine

@uninstallthegame
Jan 7, 2019 11:02 AM

Jun 2014
Not a big fan of the OP but everything else about this episode was great. This is one of my more highly anticipated shows this season so I'm really looking forward to what it has to offer. Solid first episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
Great episode. So far, it's easily the most impressive (non-sequel) of the season. There's still a ton left to premiere this week, so we'll see how it holds up.

Pros:
+ Great Premise
+ Solid Animation
+ Ending Sequence Was Great

Cons:
+ The OP song was a bit... Odd? It felt a little too "modern" compared to the setting of the show.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 7, 2019 11:03 AM
Jan 2018
fight-or-flight said:

You're not alone, it's just Amazon being dumb. Try checking back in a few hours.
Anime is trash and so am I
Jan 7, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2017
MAPPA has been really good since the last two years. High hopes for this show.
Jan 7, 2019 11:19 AM

Dec 2014
the opening was good...one of the nice ones this season... yep I am hooked
Jan 7, 2019 11:22 AM

Dec 2015
An awesome first episode, but I'm always a sucker for anything with samurais and demons.
Jan 7, 2019 11:25 AM

Jun 2017
The opening was fine for me except for the parts where they tried to sing in english and it came off as just....no.

Best anime dance ever fight me
Jan 7, 2019 11:28 AM

Jul 2017
Godamn MAPPA back at it again. Shouldn't be placing my expectations too high but man they really do make some good shows
Jan 7, 2019 11:40 AM
Apr 2016
Quite overwhelmed after just trying out to see what kind of series it is. And then - Buddha, Tezuka Osamu, Amazarashi... A surprise, to be sure, but a pleasant one...
Quite many points I want to address, first being the fact that this is not a known for Tezuka Osamu kind of story - usually they are extremely positive, I'd say even rivaling Fairy Tail. Here it is quite a dark story in dark times. A change of pace, but obviously Dororo would not make it this far not being a decent piece of art.
The language is hard on ears, it is quite hard to understand the ancient Japanese when some sentences are exclusively that. Also, the English translation... could surely be better and more accurate, especially for the usual Japanese. +for the old Japanese, -to whoever decided not to do a thorough work on the English subtitles.
The not quite usual, but a must for medieval Japan trait - greatly religiously influenced world. I dare say here it goes hand in hand with symbolism, which is welcome. Buddha statue losing its head to protect the cursed child... is still something, even if it sounds quite generic. Monk, dying to protect the world from evil, is quite a fundamental thing here - the monk who also claimed to have started losing faith, when facing against someone who is prepared to not only deal with the devil, but also to murder if it furthers his goals, clearly sees Buddhas teachings true - the world needs to be protected from evil. The opening sequence is also done in the tradition of true art, which only makes me happier.
And then there is Amazarashi - who else could sign a song to a faithless morally depraved age, rife with demons and backward oldmen? Even if I am not exactly most faithful to the direction Amazarashi songs are taking today (or maybe, which I am afraid to admit, I am just unable to understand them anymore), the contribution of Amazarashi's spirit to this series fits well.
And lastly Mappa (That was Geno animated intro for Kokkoku, did Mappa trade it? Hmmm), an ambiguous jack-of-all-trades studio. I will always be waiting for a third entry in the Shingeki no Bahamut series, so I am glad they are still kicking AND kicking something good.
NTangudu said:
The opening was fine for me except for the parts where they tried to sing in english and it came off as just....no.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I bear no degree in music, but... I don't think it worked here. Overall the opening gets a pass, I believe.
Re:formed
Jan 7, 2019 11:43 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
When you think, Mob had the better OP visuals, Dororo comes around, crazy sequences.

Absolutely intriguing show, i was kinda astonished at what i saw.

I think i'll need to rewatch this one.
Jan 7, 2019 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Quite overwhelmed after just trying out to see what kind of series it is. And then - Buddha, Tezuka Osamu, Amazarashi... A surprise, to be sure, but a pleasant one...
Quite many points I want to address, first being the fact that this is not a known for Tezuka Osamu kind of story - usually they are extremely positive, I'd say even rivaling Fairy Tail. Here it is quite a dark story in dark times. A change of pace, but obviously Dororo would not make it this far not being a decent piece of art.
The language is hard on ears, it is quite hard to understand the ancient Japanese when some sentences are exclusively that. Also, the English translation... could surely be better and more accurate, especially for the usual Japanese. +for the old Japanese, -to whoever decided not to do a thorough work on the English subtitles.
The not quite usual, but a must for medieval Japan trait - greatly religiously influenced world. I dare say here it goes hand in hand with symbolism, which is welcome. Buddha statue losing its head to protect the cursed child... is still something, even if it sounds quite generic. Monk, dying to protect the world from evil, is quite a fundamental thing here - the monk who also claimed to have started losing faith, when facing against someone who is prepared to not only deal with the devil, but also to murder if it furthers his goals, clearly sees Buddhas teachings true - the world needs to be protected from evil. The opening sequence is also done in the tradition of true art, which only makes me happier.
And then there is Amazarashi - who else could sign a song to a faithless morally depraved age, rife with demons and backward oldmen? Even if I am not exactly most faithful to the direction Amazarashi songs are taking today (or maybe, which I am afraid to admit, I am just unable to understand them anymore), the contribution of Amazarashi's spirit to this series fits well.
And lastly Mappa (That was Geno animated intro for Kokkoku, did Mappa trade it? Hmmm), an ambiguous jack-of-all-trades studio. I will always be waiting for a third entry in the Shingeki no Bahamut series, so I am glad they are still kicking AND kicking something good.
NTangudu said:
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I bear no degree in music, but... I don't think it worked here. Overall the opening gets a pass, I believe.

Tbh, a lot of Tezuka works are dark, especially the one's written during his depression. So compared to those, this is kind of tame.
Jan 7, 2019 11:47 AM

Jun 2017
What?A child character actually being dubbed by a kid?
What is this
1/10
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 7, 2019 11:48 AM
Jan 2018
Omfg this is HYPE!!!
Jan 7, 2019 11:49 AM

Feb 2015
Well this is quite impressive. Hopefully this keeps it up.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.