Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you can't stand, despite it having high scores/good reviews?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2017
IceDragoness said:
The original Steins Gate.

I really liked Stains Gate 0 though. I've realised that's because in the original Okabe is annoying, but when he's depressed he isn't!
It wasn't just that, I also found the pacing to be better in 0 and less boring as a result.

Wow, you made me want to watch steins gate 0 now.
Jan 6, 2019 8:53 PM
Jan 2019
Boku no hero academia
It's a bit overrated
Jan 6, 2019 9:21 PM
Jan 2019
Gahhh, Attack on Titan. First off it's not the genre I would normally watch, but mainly I can't stand the actual animation style especially the movement during action sequences. It's my dead in the water anime.
Jan 6, 2019 9:41 PM

Jan 2019
Toradora and Clannad easily, really overrated.
Jan 6, 2019 10:37 PM

Oct 2016
IDK if I will drop it but: Devilman Crybaby. Can't stand it because there is stuff that seems great, I like the main character he seems great. But wow they are way over the top of the gratuitous nudity/random sex/Ecchi. Aside from that it could have been something I give an 8 or a 9. I'll probably complete it anyways at some point then give it a 3 or 4 due to the sex(Unless it gets even moreso, then I will rate low & drop).

Akame Ga Kill for being really boring, generic & forgettable. They started with fanservice then it occured to me that probably the writers/animators knew it too that there was no reason to watch it.

Berserk 2016/2017: Not highly rated in general but still overrated in general. Awful CGI Fests that only serve to ensure that Berserk most likely cannot ever have real anime adaptation.

Can't stand the last bit in Death Note. I hate Near the cheap knockoff of L. I hear it happened because the publishers forced Ohba/Obata to continue against their will. So I hate the publishers for that, they shouldn't have forced them to continue immediately against their will. It's the most clear & abrupt drop off in quality I've seen so far as before is solid 10/10 material, some of the very best in anime.

LiaLittleAngel said:
Code Geass. I'm sorry it's confusing as hell, and the only I liked was the openings.
Consider trying the Dub. I first watched it Subbed, I enjoyed it a lot but didn't quite understand it 100%, was fairly new to subbed anime at the time though. I rewatched it all in Dub & it was easier to follow. I understood the plot but missed a bit on some of the motivations.

Ocalino said:
My Hero Academia, the anime itself isn't that bad, but I started to hate it thanks to the community overhyping every fight and taking every little criticism as a personal attack.

And well one of the most important part of animes for me is the community, and if I can't have a normal conversation without having to praise every bit of the show, then why even bother watching in the first place ?

But then again I'm no expert, it's just from my point of view, I'm aware that this is just a small minority of people in the community, but a vocal one.
They are like that since many troll that fanbase. I think some of them got trolled a lot. I only seen them be very aggressive towards people if they say stuff like comparing it to Boku no Pico, completely inaccurate and inflammatory stuff like that. Only thing that I find annoying is intentionally misrepresenting a series, but I don't comment in such cases since that's feeding the trolls. A balanced point of view, well thought out/constructive criticism is completely fine.

Titadou said:
Shokugeki no Soma
I haven't watched it yet but I do expect it's going to join this list for me. So far it seems the thing I hate the most are shows with positive qualities that might make them worth watching but ruined by excessive sex/Ecchi.
Jan 6, 2019 10:50 PM
Aug 2018
Boku no hero academia one word a piece of messed up shit
Jan 6, 2019 11:00 PM
Oct 2018
Toradora is the one........who likes an mc who becomes a punch bag for a stupid girl who kicks her own father in the balls........
Jan 6, 2019 11:11 PM
Nov 2017
It's not like "I can't stand it", but I really couldn't find the appeal of FMAB. I was bored for almost the entirety of the 32 episodes I watched.
Jan 6, 2019 11:24 PM

May 2012
Jojo, I like the show, but hype and meme are freaking everywhere. I can't stand Jojo's crazy fandom. Also I never understood the hype with FLCL, I though it was meh okay. Last one would be Attack on Titan, that hype train was crazy it was everywhere, but now I don't care about it, it just another show to me. There were other show, but I don't try to hate on show. But hype does ruin a show for me sometime, that why I sometime just wait for show to be over that season or when people stop talking about it. That why I avoided Your name for very long while, it was alright, admit if I saw it earlier, I might have hating it.
Jan 6, 2019 11:39 PM
Jan 2016
Kill La Kill
Rainbow
Higurashi
Evangelion
NHK ni Youkoso!
Code Geass Series
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Monagatari Series
Prison School
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fate Series
İndex Series ( Not Railgun)
Steins;Gate
Elfen Lied
Nanatsu no Taizai
3-gatsu no Lion 2. Season
Kimi ni Todoke
Jan 6, 2019 11:54 PM

Jun 2013
Cowboy Bebop.

Watched about 10 episodes, my friends even tried getting me into it after I dropped it. I don't hate it, it's just boring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2019 12:54 AM

Jan 2019
GoldenWind said:
I've really opened a spicy can of worms with this one, haven't I.

Well, you got to over 200 replies without anyone losing their shit or resorting to throwing insults around so I'd say not really :P
Jan 7, 2019 1:07 AM

May 2018
Excelwing37 said:
Jojo, I like the show, but hype and meme are freaking everywhere. I can't stand Jojo's crazy fandom.

Don't get me wrong, JoJo is a fantastic show, one of my favourites actually ..but as you just said, it's fandom is wild. 80% of the time, I can't be bothered with it.
Jan 7, 2019 1:07 AM

May 2018
CallMeHoot said:
GoldenWind said:
I've really opened a spicy can of worms with this one, haven't I.

Well, you got to over 200 replies without anyone losing their shit or resorting to throwing insults around so I'd say not really :P

For a first topic post, I'd say this has been a success. No fires have started yet.
Jan 7, 2019 1:16 AM

Nov 2016
Code Geass. Thought it was really dumb.
Jan 7, 2019 1:24 AM
Jan 2015
-monogatari (boring for me )
-durarara
-ghost in the shell
-made in abyss (I can see why it get a high score , but I totally cannot stand the MC)
- Angel Beats (I totally did not understand why some people can cry over this anime,it was not even emotional )
- Anohana
- Your Lie in April
Jan 7, 2019 1:24 AM

Sep 2014
Let's see: Code Geass, Naruto, Overlord, Your Name and Your Lie in April
Jan 7, 2019 1:25 AM

Apr 2015
Your lie in April,

I really did not like a single main character but the blonde girl and there were so many moments that dragged and hated the chemistry among the cast.

Side characters were great.
Jan 7, 2019 1:25 AM

May 2016
Clannad. The story progressed so slowly that I actually fell asleep.
Toradora. No need to explain why.
Jan 7, 2019 2:21 AM

May 2014
Shinsekai yori. Wasn't a fan of anything from the show. The characters were especially bad.
Jan 7, 2019 2:23 AM
Aug 2016
Clannad - That would be definitely this. Its not because of the graphics I have seen way worse. The story is just so terrible it makes me want to scratch out my eyes. I forced myself to see everything from it once and never again.
Jan 7, 2019 2:39 AM
Jan 2019
My hero academia. The mc just comes off as a boring character. He’s got big aspirations and is a nice guy, but that’s about as far as it goes. He doesn’t seem to really have anything about his character that makes him unique. He’s like Gon from HxH except lacking in all the ways that Gon is a good character. All he got down is the nice guy who wears green and works hard. He doesn’t seem to have any nitty gritty aspects about him (he is nowhere near as bitter as he should be abt the way he was born imo) his morals seem completely upright and straightforward, and he just comes off as boring. I didn’t get too far into the manga before I just quit because Deku never did anything to draw me in.
Jan 7, 2019 2:43 AM

Oct 2017
No Game No Life. I cannot understand how it has such a high MAL average or acclaim from critics and audiences. It’s a crappy generic isekai with Mary Sue protagonists, one-dimensional supporting characters, gratuitous fanservice (including sexualization of prepubescent girls, which is incredibly off-putting to me), and ass-pulls in the guise of “strategies”. It does NOT, under any circumstances, deserve to have a higher average rating than Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost In The Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Macross, Akira, Trigun, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and several other classic anime.
Jan 7, 2019 3:09 AM
Jul 2018
Brainsniff said:
Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus' Bride) was boring af. A big mess and bad characters.

Very much THIS. If anything, the OVA is far superior and interesting.
I'm glad I watched that one, but I couldn't stand the series, even a bit: so I dropped it.

halcyon- said:
Aemnesias said:

One Outs. I burst out laughing every time I see people saying it's a good sports anime. Same for bringing up it's "psychological" aspect.

I didn't have a definite answer until I saw your comment. Same! That anime felt like there were no characters, they're all dull. I laughed every time I see someone saying it's better than Major or Daiya.

I feel you guys.
removed-userJan 7, 2019 3:17 AM
Jan 7, 2019 3:34 AM

Aug 2015
Bascially every shonen anime ever made
Jan 7, 2019 3:51 AM
Jul 2016
Hellsing Ultimate and Ergo Proxy, they're so boring
Jan 7, 2019 4:09 AM
Sep 2015
Definitely Terror in Resonance, Tokyo Ghoul, and Attack on Titan. Season 1 of AOT was good enough, but I really don’t see the appeal now. Tokyo Ghoul just isn’t that great. I don’t enjoy it. Terror in Resonance literally only has its soundtrack. Everything else is bad.
Jan 7, 2019 4:31 AM

Oct 2018
For me it’s boku no hero academia. The characters are so annoying and the fights are way overrated.

Jan 7, 2019 4:50 AM

Apr 2017
Nichijou - I guess I'm not into that kind of comedy
Jan 7, 2019 6:31 AM

Aug 2018
I can't understand how Death Note is considered such a masterpiece. Light is such a dumb character and some of the plot twists were so fucking unbelievably stupid I hilariously laughed at my monitor.

Fate / Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, both seasons. I mean, I liked them, the animation is gorgeous and has good fights, but I can not understand how it has such a high rank. I think they were just ok.

Zankyou no Terror was an interesting anime, but I wouldn't say it's an 8.20. Way too short with some wasted characters like Five.
Jan 7, 2019 6:50 AM

Dec 2015
Fairy tail / End of evangelion i don't have to explain anything...
Jan 7, 2019 7:00 AM

Aug 2018
I think is Pingu in the City hahaha Seriously, I don't understand why the people rating this ''''''''''''anime''''''''''''''' so good '-'

sorry by the english ;-;
Jan 7, 2019 7:12 AM

Jan 2019
No Game No Life and Kimi ni todoke
oh and boku no hero academia
they are way too overrated
Jan 7, 2019 7:14 AM

Jan 2019
_faire said:
I think is Pingu in the City hahaha Seriously, I don't understand why the people rating this ''''''''''''anime''''''''''''''' so good '-'

goddamn right
every time I see its rating It feels like the community is trolling itself
Jan 7, 2019 7:17 AM

May 2018
Literally every damn title from KyoAni (except Nichijou)

Jan 7, 2019 7:21 AM

Jan 2019
Gilliesss said:
For me it’s boku no hero academia. The characters are so annoying and the fights are way overrated.

I'll agree with the fact that the fights and characters are overrated
well said man
Jan 7, 2019 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
Girls und Panzer, Date a Live and No Game No Life just to name a few. As the old saying goes, "popularity doesn't equal quality" and "to each their own".

These anime are highly popular, especially Girls und Panzer, but none of them clicked with me. Couldn't get past the third episode with any of those anime.
Jan 7, 2019 7:28 AM
Jan 2017
Steins Gate don't know why, tried so many times...
Jan 7, 2019 8:13 AM

Oct 2013
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World — a friend showed me this and we watched the first two episodes together. They were laughing and thinking it was the best thing ever, but I was just rather bored and the comedy wasn’t for me. Also not a genre I typically watch.
Jan 7, 2019 9:35 AM

Dec 2016
not that it's got a particulary good rep but something about sao makes me despise it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 7, 2019 9:37 AM
May 2014
Arkab said:
Steins; Gate
Clannad: After Story
Code Gayass R2
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
One Punch Man
Anohana

That's almost the exact list I would make (although I didn't Hate Steins;Gate, I just think it's overrated)
Jan 7, 2019 9:42 AM
Apr 2015
I must say that I utterly despise Gintama, despite everyone's love for it.
Jan 7, 2019 10:14 AM

Oct 2018
ren_moon said:
Clannad, I don't know if it's any good or if it's the masterpiece everybody says it is, I don't care, god, I mean those fking big eyes!

Lol, my friend said the same thing until I forced her to watch it. Hell, even I thought that at first, but once you get used to the animation it's fine.

OT: Since all the main shows have been covered, i'll just go out on a limb and say Dragon Maid. That show is wayy too overrated for what it's worth. Of course the hype has died down a lot, but during the time it was annoying. Just an FYI that was my first anime ever. What a way to start anime.
izumaJan 7, 2019 10:25 AM

i'm a worm
Jan 7, 2019 10:23 AM

Apr 2011
-Izuma said:
OT: Since all the main shows have been covered, i'll just go out on a limb and say Dragon Maid. That show is wayy too overrated for what it's worth. Of course the hype has died down a lot, but during the time it was annoying. Just an FYI that was first anime ever. What a way to start anime.

Kinda agree, because it started overusing its jokes way too much. Kanna's cute, but that's pretty much it after a while.
Jan 7, 2019 10:24 AM

Dec 2014
I don't have such a thing... Is hard to ''can't stand an anime'' when I own my laptop, and I have all the freedom in watching what I want to watch, and ignore what I am not interested in. If we were still stuck in the TV age, then yes that would have been possible... For example I can't stand Turkish movies - the TV is in the area were we eat, and sometimes at night, when we get dinner I am stuck hearing that ugly language, because my litter brother and sister like them (no offense to Turkish peoples... but I really don't like the sound of your language... sorry). But they don't force me watching any anime I don't like, so I am fine. I guess the fact that I am generally incapable of feeling hate - because I consider it a very boring and wasteful emotion, or something like that - also helps in not making a passion from hating random anime I don't watch anyway like other peoples do...
Jan 7, 2019 10:27 AM

Jun 2016
Ghost in the shell 1995
I fell asleep halfway through the movie and until this day I couldn't understand what so great about it.
cyberpunk isn't for me,I guess.
Jan 7, 2019 10:35 AM
Jan 2017
Without a doubt it's Attack On Toxic, and Naruto For sure.

Jan 7, 2019 10:43 AM
Aug 2018
I'm genuinely glad some people mentioned code geass R2 cos it's somehow got an 8.94 rating and I really thought I was missing something. Enjoyed the first series despite quite a few flaws and binged all of R2 in a night, yet it felt average at best. Since then I've gone back to it a number of times in case I couldn't appreciate it in my sleep deprived state but it got worse with every viewing. Lelouch, the main strength of s1, was not nearly as good with his constant chasing after Nunnaly and numerous stupid decisions, the old supporting characters didn't improve and the new ones varied from underwhelming (Schneizel) to detestable (Rolo). Zero Requiem and the ending redeemed it slightly but it still largely fell flat in my opinion. Again, maybe I'm missing something but if you like R2 could you please explain to me why?
Jan 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Jan 2017
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.
Way too overrated XD
Jan 7, 2019 12:12 PM
Jan 2019
Definatley One Punch Man. I always couldnt get over the fact of them making an anime where he wins a battle with one punch. How can that be interesting???!!!
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 1 hour ago

2 by BitChilly »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Subarctic-Forest »»
14 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
26 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.