Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2019 2:38 AM

Aug 2018
For everyone new to Shield Hero, I beg you, please give this show a shot. At first glance, this may seem like a fanservice slave harem, but it really isn't. This show is deep with real world connotations and a firm grasp on the meaning of isolation and hatred. As the show continues, the characters actually grow and the main character is FAR from overpowered. I've skimmed the discussions and read the opinions of those who judge books by covers and my heart has been broken. While Isekai is not for everyone, this breaks away from the mold while still maintaining a familiar isekai-ness, and if you keep with it, I believe this could be the isekai that scratches your fantasy itch.
Yotus Yeetus commit self-deletus
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2019 6:30 AM

Apr 2014
I judge by content (of LN and WN), and I don't consider having Doremon's pocket ability to be growth. This isn't the "meaning" of isolation and hatred, its having a Victimization complex, the kind teens get when they feel everyone is against them (and that they alone is secretly awesome), only this time externalized into book format.

The damn thing even get dropped after the first vol, so you can't claim its the theme of the series. So what is the theme? Face-slapping adventure with my cute racoon princess (spoiler) slave waifu and my awesome bird daughter?

Look you want to like the series, its fine, watered down Monte Cristo power fantasy is not yet saturated in anime form. But if I want to scratch the fantasy itch, I would recommend Log horizon before recommending Shield hero.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jan 6, 2019 8:27 AM
May 2017
ap1001 said:
I judge by content (of LN and WN), and I don't consider having Doremon's pocket ability to be growth. This isn't the "meaning" of isolation and hatred, its having a Victimization complex, the kind teens get when they feel everyone is against them (and that they alone is secretly awesome), only this time externalized into book format.

The damn thing even get dropped after the first vol, so you can't claim its the theme of the series. So what is the theme? Face-slapping adventure with my cute racoon princess (spoiler) slave waifu and my awesome bird daughter?

Look you want to like the series, its fine, watered down Monte Cristo power fantasy is not yet saturated in anime form. But if I want to scratch the fantasy itch, I would recommend Log horizon before recommending Shield hero.

Look i know youre talking out of your ass and you have your preference, but you have no idea what youre talking about. Im not even going to discuss it with you, it will be pointless. Everyone who read the manga for at least 20 chapters knows its not a standard isekai. Just because you have some elements of cliché in it doesnt make it bad.

i wonder how you would feel if everyone is basically saying "i wish you would die". nothing wrong with having Victimization complex as a story device. Yes sometimes it is a bit too much but still better SAO 90% of your standard isekai. Stop hating because its isekai, it is annoying.

But again why do i say such things to people like you. Youre one of those people who throw 1 and 2s and shows just because you dont like certain things. But im also against shit like throwing 10s at shows just because youre entertained.
You should rate a show objectively. if you like the art or 1-2 characters or even 1-2 moments in the entire show (1 or 2 cour), it will never be less than a 4. Not even if you try.
giving a rating like 1 ,2 or 3/10 does not make you critical.
Jan 6, 2019 12:33 PM

Apr 2014
Samy-kun said:
ap1001 said:

Look i know youre talking out of your ass and you have your preference, but you have no idea what youre talking about. Im not even going to discuss it with you, it will be pointless. Everyone who read the manga for at least 20 chapters knows its not a standard isekai. Just because you have some elements of cliché in it doesnt make it bad.

i wonder how you would feel if everyone is basically saying "i wish you would die". nothing wrong with having Victimization complex as a story device. Yes sometimes it is a bit too much but still better SAO 90% of your standard isekai. Stop hating because its isekai, it is annoying.

But again why do i say such things to people like you. Youre one of those people who throw 1 and 2s and shows just because you dont like certain things. But im also against shit like throwing 10s at shows just because youre entertained.
You should rate a show objectively. if you like the art or 1-2 characters or even 1-2 moments in the entire show (1 or 2 cour), it will never be less than a 4. Not even if you try.
giving a rating like 1 ,2 or 3/10 does not make you critical.

Wow 20 manga chapters, wow, here is a sarcastic clap. No I read up to vol 6 of the LN and did a skim reading up to vol 13. So, I'm pretty sure I know better than you.

And I am going to educate you on Isekai, there are many templates to isekai, the dominate ones are the revenge isekai and the OP isekai.

Revenge Isekai such as Arifueta, Shield Hero, Healer second life, all are just as standard as what ever you imagine the average isekai to be, in fact, they are now far more generic than the "average isekai", since everyone wants to be the "special author who subverts expectation".

Shield hero even ended up devolving into the other generic template as soon as they got to the shield worshipping city and the JP city.

And yes victimization is a crappy tool, it lowered the IQ of the surround to artificially inflate the woe. Yeah 3-4 people sure, I can see it, but so many and that victimization lead to some truly stupid decision, like the king and the dumb princess making enemy of the queen of the country (when she have all the actual power? Really?).
ap1001Jan 6, 2019 12:43 PM
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jan 6, 2019 12:45 PM
Mar 2018
I beg you, try to like what I like lmao
Jan 7, 2019 1:09 AM

Mar 2010
A serious question should be asked:

Was there any guy who was able to pull himself out of the dark, dreadful depths of that "I was accused of rape and now people say I'm better off dead" hole? "Shield Bro's" not gonna answer that question, as with all shows created by those who apparently hate young men and men in general.

I know it's "isekai" but Japan LOVES to victimize their shounen. Whether it be Prison School or whatever ComRoms that feature the shounens being pathetic against the stronger shoujo-tachi of the hour.
Jan 7, 2019 1:11 AM

Apr 2016
Hectotane said:
I know it's "isekai" but Japan LOVES to victimize their shounen. Whether it be Prison School or whatever ComRoms that feature the shounens being pathetic against the stronger shoujo-tachi of the hour.

Nippon love them some masochistic stuff.
Jan 7, 2019 6:15 AM

Jan 2013
Honestly I trust ap1001 in this.

The first episode was a disappointment under every aspect. Animations are mediocre at best, character designs are so bland it makes me sad. The story is your standard isekai story, with harem of course.

After Goblin Slayer, I don't know why I still trust people tastes...
Jan 7, 2019 6:25 AM
Aug 2016
ap1001 yes ln and wn, from what i read the early part good interesting etc. but the later part become nuisance to continue reading. sigh
Jan 7, 2019 8:14 AM

May 2012
1st episode was like easily the best 1st episode so far in this season. It far beyond my expectation.

I hope more and more Isekai anime come out this year. I want haters to suffer
Jan 7, 2019 8:48 AM
May 2017
thepath said:
1st episode was like easily the best 1st episode so far in this season. It far beyond my expectation.

i'm not sure if it's gonna stay that way though, Mob Psycho 100 season 2's first episode just dropped

besides, the only isekai i'm waiting for are Re:Zero season 2 and the Konosuba movie
Jan 7, 2019 9:31 AM

Mar 2017
thepath said:

How awfully convenient. You think people hate something you like just because "it's isekai"? I mean, sure there are the usual names that memetically groans "another isekai" when an isekai comes but for the most part people are just tired of bad isekai, not necessarily isekai. Then again, a lot of isekai are bad so it kinda looks like people are hating on isekai.

Anime like Log Horizon and Grimgar didn't receive this much backlash. They have their fair share of haters, like any anime, but never this much this strongly on the first episode alone. You could argue that they were from before people got tired of the isekai fare. Fair enough. Let's go look at Slime then. Again, while it had some detractors, it was and still is fairly well received.

Stop hiding in the "muh isekai haters smh" defense mechanism. People hate bad shows. They just usually do a poor way of explaining why.

You could have 20 isekai pop up this year, and as long as they are good, people will like them.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 7, 2019 10:01 AM
Nov 2018
ap1001 said:

I bet you only read volume 1 or 2 since victimization gets cleared in volume 4 and then onwards main issues comes to picture like the waves and other characters. It is clear you haven't read much of the LN when you said there is no character progression. I can clearly remember the grinding scenes and experimentation by absorbing different materials, monster bodies unlocking exhaust able number of shields which are more than 30 to 40 if I remember correctly from LN it's not in manga though.
Jan 7, 2019 10:57 AM
Aug 2016
I beg you, please don't dislike it! At least you could use your main mate, you are better than this.
Jan 7, 2019 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
Dhyan_manu said:
ap1001 said:

I bet you only read volume 1 or 2 since victimization gets cleared in volume 4 and then onwards main issues comes to picture like the waves and other characters. It is clear you haven't read much of the LN when you said there is no character progression. I can clearly remember the grinding scenes and experimentation by absorbing different materials, monster bodies unlocking exhaust able number of shields which are more than 30 to 40 if I remember correctly from LN it's not in manga though.

Ugh, yeah I did mention that, do you not see the Doraemon power-up, the queen and all the other shit I mentioned?

And wow, grinding and eating to gain power, gee, what a hard working and hard to get power-up, wait didn't I see this before? Yes, in EVERY GODDAMN ISEKAI, you gain power-up by eating (or something similar) and infinitely power-up.

Gee, that is some hard effort there. The LN and WN's downfall was not there was no character progression, its the fact, that the beginning cast consists of Idiots and MC (and his slave waifu, bird daughter), and later change to every isekai ever, go to places punches villains with no ideals (and most are even weak), fighting fights with no ideals, and getting new power-ups.

Character progression is literally just new power-ups, and maybe romantically. Kid if I want to watch power-ups, I watch every other shounen, which are all infinitely better, and yes, I am including fairy tail. And at least shounen's have the intelligence to have a strict power system (chakra, zanpakuto, devil fruits), this is just random power as plot demand. Like the egg shield, or the later turtle shield, and let's not forget, the cursed shield, which gives attacking power (and looks super edgy).

The shield is a plot power, it can do whatever the plot needed power up at the moment, it have no strict limits. Video game power up and eating gain power (or combining to gain power) is the most asspull way to gain it. There is no ideal, no theme, not even goddamn "friendship power", at least "friendship power" promotes positive messages, what does this promote? That I am so smart, that I figured out I can toss something into something, and gain limitless possibility like Doraemon's pocket?
ap1001Jan 7, 2019 2:56 PM
Jan 7, 2019 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
i mean i think shield hero is great
Jan 7, 2019 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
The show can be as good as you want, the thing is the first episode was awfully bad.
From character's reaction or simply the dialog. It was really difficult to watch until the last 5 minutes who were ""decent""
Jan 8, 2019 1:49 AM

Jan 2013
Except not every isekai is like that.
Go watch Aura Battler Dunbine, Escaflowne or 12 Kingdoms.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 8, 2019 1:55 AM
May 2017
Cabron said:
Except not every isekai is like that.
Go watch Aura Battler Dunbine, Escaflowne or 12 Kingdoms and Re:Zero.

thirtycharacters, thirycharacters
Jan 8, 2019 2:30 AM
Apr 2016
I read the manga. Sigh. I judge an anime or manga good if I managed to not sleep at night because I can't stop reading. And fortunately, this series passes my criteria of interesting. But after reading the manga, I think I will not be watching the anime for a while at least until it is completed. The reason is that though the story was great, it's also sad and frustrating. If you want to find entertainment in an anime with all smiling and happy characters, well this is a bit of a long shot. The fun times will come but for a long time and for me, that stresses me out. But if you want something different, with a character that is different, twisted but you can't help but like, with a story that somewhat pulls you in, give this a shot.
Jan 8, 2019 3:18 AM

Aug 2018
I'm so proud my 4 am rant has created such a debate. Thank you this made my day
Jan 8, 2019 3:29 AM

Aug 2018
But contrary to what many are saying, the point I wanted to make was that this isn't what it is at first glance.

For example, just looking at characters and artwork you see-
-OP MC
-Harem of 2(+) waits
-generic baddies

But the MC has to fight for power, the harem is nearly nonexistent, and the fellow heroes aren't your run of the line "aha you're bad I fight and now I dead" antagonists.

I'm by no means saying that Shield Hero is a masterpiece, I just want to state the FACT that this is aces higher than arguably any isekai anime we've had. From what I've read from the source material, I wholeheartedly believe that this could be the best isekai we've had so far.

Another point, what I'm getting from ap1001 is that nothing can be good. From what I've read it leads me to think that in your opinion, nothing can be good and it's gotten to a point where even being unique is mainstream. Also (this could easily be wrong since I don't read many light novels, but enjoy manga) the 3 "revenge isekai" that you've named are 3 out of the 4 slightly popular revenge manga, dungeon seeker included, and only shield hero and arifureta are mainstream IMO.

Also I don't bbelieve you can critique a show because it has a device to push the plot forward. Without the shield, you don't have a story, so critiquing the FACT that Shield Hero uses the idea that he is a shield hero as a plot point is kind of odd.
Jan 8, 2019 3:31 AM
Jun 2011
I tried reading the manga and it was AWFUL, and I mean really juvenile, cringy dialogue and just trying to be funny, but falling flat every single time. I assume the anime is no different, so no thanks.

I would recommend Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken instead, for those looking for isekai. The story is much more unique, and gives a few chuckles here and there.
Jan 8, 2019 4:38 AM

Apr 2014
Pontic said:
But contrary to what many are saying, the point I wanted to make was that this isn't what it is at first glance.

-OP MC
-Harem of 2(+) waits
-generic baddies

But the MC has to fight for power, the harem is nearly nonexistent, and the fellow heroes aren't your run of the line "aha you're bad I fight and now I dead" antagonists.

I'm by no means saying that Shield Hero is a masterpiece, I just want to state the FACT that this is aces higher than arguably any isekai anime we've had. From what I've read from the source material, I wholeheartedly believe that this could be the best isekai we've had so far.

Another point, what I'm getting from ap1001 is that nothing can be good. From what I've read it leads me to think that in your opinion, nothing can be good and it's gotten to a point where even being unique is mainstream. Also (this could easily be wrong since I don't read many light novels, but enjoy manga) the 3 "revenge isekai" that you've named are 3 out of the 4 slightly popular revenge manga, dungeon seeker included, and only shield hero and arifureta are mainstream IMO.

Also I don't bbelieve you can critique a show because it has a device to push the plot forward. Without the shield, you don't have a story, so critiquing the FACT that Shield Hero uses the idea that he is a shield hero as a plot point is kind of odd.

The first 3 are idiots, and using idiots as antagonist (cause they are) is an example of lazy and shallow. Idiots instantly ruined any suspension of disbelief, since their stupidity defy comprehension, and don't gave me the "there are dumb people in reality as well", the dumb people in reality aren't plot points that eat screen-time.

The later heroes, are literally meh, so meh, I only remembered the whip guys face, and they come way to late to salvage the story.

And no I mean the revenge Isekai trend is not unique in the slightest for WN. But its okay to use template if you know what you are doing, shield doesn't, take the first arc as example, we got dumb villains who got humiliated, and idiot antagonist who also got humiliated, and a power that have no clear limitation that seem to can do a bit of everything.

Let me make this clear, you DO NOT gave your MC an all-purpose superpower UNLESS you are a comedy/SOL, since that takes ALL pretense of threat out of the story.

Monkey D. Luffy's devil fruit is gum-gum fruit, it turns him into rubber, nothing else.
Kamijou Touma's IB negates supernatural powers, nothing else.
What's Naofumi's shield's hard limit? No attack power? It can turn into an cursed shield and do it, and later on he becomes a super DPS. it also can be used as a tamogatchi thingy that trains pets, and other random assortment of stuffs, he NEVER suffered a downside due to it.

Because the power is so random and cheap, it takes one out of the story as you know the next enemy that come up would be defeated by another power-up that comes out cheaply. You want to have a device to push the plot? Fine, but the plot device cannot also be the MC's all purpose superpower, same as you cannot breed rabbits and velociraptors in the same pen, your "serious" story falls apart.

Also I don't gave a shit about whether a story have a harem or not, you are still not deviating from romance, besides you think that other stories don't choose a girl? Getting all the girls, now that there is the one that is chosen less, true harems are a rarity now days. But honestly none of it matters if the story is engaging enough to take one's mind off the romance (which is no deeper than any other LN/WN), but it isn't, so there's that.
ap1001Jan 8, 2019 4:42 AM
Jan 8, 2019 5:15 AM

Apr 2012
It doesn't sound like a "fanservice slave harem" to me, it looks like a misogynistic and somewhat misanthropic persecution complex fantasy to me, which just happens to contain something like a fanservice slave harem because of course it does. Can't trust women you don't have power over.
Jan 8, 2019 6:04 AM

Jan 2013
Well no, is there a rulebook for that?
Because otherwise there's nothing wrong with that if you know how to pull it off.

Jan 8, 2019 6:27 AM

Aug 2018
logopolis said:
It doesn't sound like a "fanservice slave harem" to me, it looks like a misogynistic and somewhat misanthropic persecution complex fantasy to me, which just happens to contain something like a fanservice slave harem because of course it does. Can't trust women you don't have power over.

It has nothing to do with gender. At least in the Manga, MC doesn't care about gender. All he knows is that someone stabbed him in the back and as a result people don't trust him so why should he trust them back?

ap1001 said:
Pontic said:

-OP MC
-Harem of 2(+) waits
-generic baddies

The first 3 are idiots, and using idiots as antagonist (cause they are) is an example of lazy and shallow. Idiots instantly ruined any suspension of disbelief, since their stupidity defy comprehension, and don't gave me the "there are dumb people in reality as well", the dumb people in reality aren't plot points that eat screen-time.

The later heroes, are literally meh, so meh, I only remembered the whip guys face, and they come way to late to salvage the story.

And no I mean the revenge Isekai trend is not unique in the slightest for WN. But its okay to use template if you know what you are doing, shield doesn't, take the first arc as example, we got dumb villains who got humiliated, and idiot antagonist who also got humiliated, and a power that have no clear limitation that seem to can do a bit of everything.

Let me make this clear, you DO NOT gave your MC an all-purpose superpower UNLESS you are a comedy/SOL, since that takes ALL pretense of threat out of the story.

Monkey D. Luffy's devil fruit is gum-gum fruit, it turns him into rubber, nothing else.
Kamijou Touma's IB negates supernatural powers, nothing else.
What's Naofumi's shield's hard limit? No attack power? It can turn into an cursed shield and do it, and later on he becomes a super DPS. it also can be used as a tamogatchi thingy that trains pets, and other random assortment of stuffs, he NEVER suffered a downside due to it.

Because the power is so random and cheap, it takes one out of the story as you know the next enemy that come up would be defeated by another power-up that comes out cheaply. You want to have a device to push the plot? Fine, but the plot device cannot also be the MC's all purpose superpower, same as you cannot breed rabbits and velociraptors in the same pen, your "serious" story falls apart.

Also I don't gave a shit about whether a story have a harem or not, you are still not deviating from romance, besides you think that other stories don't choose a girl? Getting all the girls, now that there is the one that is chosen less, true harems are a rarity now days. But honestly none of it matters if the story is engaging enough to take one's mind off the romance (which is no deeper than any other LN/WN), but it isn't, so there's that.

While I guess you are right about the later arcs, I feel that the first 20 or so chapters of manga before the queen business were good because he's got to solve stuff on his own and he discovers his power on his own, but later on it does become a bit OP. oh well, I like it, you don't have to, but my point remains that this is great, for an isekai.
Jan 8, 2019 6:39 AM

Apr 2018
ap1001 said:
Dhyan_manu said:

Ugh, yeah I did mention that, do you not see the Doraemon power-up, the queen and all the other shit I mentioned?

And wow, grinding and eating to gain power, gee, what a hard working and hard to get power-up, wait didn't I see this before? Yes, in EVERY GODDAMN ISEKAI, you gain power-up by eating (or something similar) and infinitely power-up.

Gee, that is some hard effort there. The LN and WN's downfall was not there was no character progression, its the fact, that the beginning cast consists of Idiots and MC (and his slave waifu, bird daughter), and later change to every isekai ever, go to places punches villains with no ideals (and most are even weak), fighting fights with no ideals, and getting new power-ups.

Character progression is literally just new power-ups, and maybe romantically. Kid if I want to watch power-ups, I watch every other shounen, which are all infinitely better, and yes, I am including fairy tail. And at least shounen's have the intelligence to have a strict power system (chakra, zanpakuto, devil fruits), this is just random power as plot demand. Like the egg shield, or the later turtle shield, and let's not forget, the cursed shield, which gives attacking power (and looks super edgy).

The shield is a plot power, it can do whatever the plot needed power up at the moment, it have no strict limits. Video game power up and eating gain power (or combining to gain power) is the most asspull way to gain it. There is no ideal, no theme, not even goddamn "friendship power", at least "friendship power" promotes positive messages, what does this promote? That I am so smart, that I figured out I can toss something into something, and gain limitless possibility like Doraemon's pocket?

Why the fuck are u assuming a show needs to have a positive message? It's a fucking piece of entertainment, it has literally no reason to be more than that, if some shows want to go in that direction, good for them, but assuming a show MUST go in that direction is probably one of the dumbest argument I've ever read, and trust me, I've read a lot of bad arguments.
You're so egocentric you assume you're point of view is right and argue like that's a given fact.
Your arguments should prove your point, your point isn't a fucking argument goddammit.
vhagar8Jan 8, 2019 6:56 AM
Jan 8, 2019 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
Why do you want other people to watch what you like anyway?
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jan 8, 2019 9:01 AM

Aug 2018
Vecko said:

I'm not trying to force people to watch it, I just don't like it when people glance at it and talk shit because it's an isekai.
Jan 8, 2019 9:47 AM

Apr 2012
Pontic said:
It has nothing to do with gender. At least in the Manga, MC doesn't care about gender. All he knows is that someone stabbed him in the back and as a result people don't trust him so why should he trust them back?

It's the narrative which has that attitude, not the character.
Jan 8, 2019 1:57 PM

Jan 2013
Pontic said:
Vecko said:

I'm not trying to force people to watch it, I just don't like it when people glance at it and talk shit because it's an isekai.
Sadly that's modern isekai for you.

Jan 8, 2019 2:21 PM

Aug 2018
Cabron said:
Pontic said:

Yea man, it sucks that a genre that has potential was propelled into the mainstream audience by a show like sword art online and even now has at least one typical shit isekai every season. This oversaturation of shitty isekai has altered the way people look at isekai.

Even if the people who watch and like isekai preach how this is different, we'll still have truck-kun's loads of in another world with my smartphone, master of ragnarock, and death marches.

The only thing worse than shit isekai and fantasy anime, which are so filled with basic harem fanservice and stereotypical overpowered main characters is the fact that

THERE

IS

SO

MUCH

MORE

SOURCE

MATERIAL

Thank you Japan, for providing the basis for there to be 3 shitty fantasy anime a year.
PonticJan 8, 2019 3:07 PM
Jan 8, 2019 2:37 PM

Apr 2018
Cabron said:
Pontic said:

I'd rather say "sadly that's modern anime fans for you"
Jan 8, 2019 2:42 PM

Dec 2013
Just here to show my support to ap1001. I wholeheartedly agree about the persecution complex. By now everyone probably already knows I hate the story :D

I've read up to vol 7 of the LNs.
Jan 8, 2019 2:43 PM

Apr 2018
Pontic said:
Cabron said:

Yea man, it sucks that a genre that has potential was propelled into the mainstream audience by a show like sword art online and even now has at least one typical shit isekai every season. This oversaturation of shitty isekai has altered the way people look at isekai.

Even if the people who watch and like isekai preach how this is different, we'll still have truck-kun's loads of in another world with my smartphone, master of ragnarock, and death marches.

The only thing worse than shit isekai and fantasy anime, which are so filled with basic harem fanservice and stereotypical overpowered main characters is the fact that

THERE

IS

SO

MUCH

MORE

SOURCE

MATERIAL

Thank you Japan, for providing the basis for there to be 3 shorty fantasy anime a year.

I mean, I don't want to say every isekai out there is good, because it's cleary not the case, as for any genre.
But still, is shitting on other isekai really the best way to complain about the shit-talking on the ones that you like?
Jan 8, 2019 2:50 PM

Apr 2018
NthDegree said:
Just here to show my support to ap1001. I wholeheartedly agree about the persecution complex. By now everyone probably already knows I hate the story :D

I feel like the persucution complex is more than fair if the show has such dedicated persecutors lol
Anyway if you hated the show that much, how did you make it that far in the LN? I mean, you're free to use your time as u pref, but still, do you hate yourself as much as you hate the show to force yourself that far?
Jan 8, 2019 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
vhagar8 said:
NthDegree said:

I feel like the persucution complex is more than fair if the show has such dedicated persecutors lol
Anyway if you hated the show that much, how did you make it that far in the LN? I mean, you're free to use your time as u pref, but still, do you hate yourself as much as you hate the show to force yourself that far?

Hey, everyone is bored sometimes. Like when I'm arguing on these threads lol.

Anyway, as for the persecution complex... The thing is that none of the characters in the first ep even have any reason to hate the MC nor does the woman who scammed him have any need for money (believe me, she's loaded as it is). The best motivation we get is just that vague legend... but even then the other heroes are also kinda jerks to the MC even though they don't believe in this world's religion or legends. So my point is: everyone is nasty to the MC for no other reason than... apparently every single important character who isn't a waifu is an evil jerk? It just says a lot about the author's attitude about other people... And even if it didn't, it's both lazy writing and unpleasant to read.
Jan 8, 2019 3:13 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
vhagar8 said:

Anyway, as for the persecution complex... The thing is that none of the characters in the first ep even have any reason to hate the MC nor does the woman who scammed him have any need for money (believe me, she's loaded as it is). The best motivation we get is just that vague legend... but even then the other heroes are also kinda jerks to the MC even though they don't believe in this world's religion or legends. So my point is: everyone is nasty to the MC for no other reason than... apparently every single important character who isn't a waifu is an evil jerk? It just says a lot about the author's attitude about other people... And even if it didn't, it's both lazy writing and unpleasant to read.

If your saying that the persecution is without reason, that's simply not true. The kingdom they are summoned to is ruled by the religion of the three heroes and actively preaches that the shield hero is a degenerate who is below human because he helped demi-humans during his original lifespan. This fusing with the modern world hatred towards rapists. Think of it like this, if a beautiful, charming, and well-off woman accused a random man of rape and her lingerie was found with the man, who would you believe?

While it isn't the most rock solid reason for hatred, and is there not to be a solid idea but rather a plot point that passes, it still provides a decent explanation in my opinion.
Jan 8, 2019 3:17 PM

Oct 2015
Does the MC gets OP though ? I really like OP characters but I dislike what has become isekai animes nowadays
Jan 8, 2019 3:27 PM

Apr 2018
NthDegree said:
vhagar8 said:

It was a joke lol
I see what you mean with the whole persecution complex thing and I can agree to an extent on that. But honestly, saying that "it says a lot about the author's attitude toward other people" sounds a little too much to me, I'd rather just say that the characterization of most of the characters isn't that great.
Anyway it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother u, especially beacuase I find the story fairy entertaing so I don't really care if it has some flaws here and there
Jan 8, 2019 3:28 PM

Dec 2013
Pontic said:
NthDegree said:

If your saying that the persecution is without reason, that's simply not true. The kingdom they are summoned to is ruled by the religion of the three heroes and actively preaches that the shield hero is a degenerate who is below human because he helped demi-humans during his original lifespan. This fusing with the modern world hatred towards rapists. Think of it like this, if a beautiful, charming, and well-off woman accused a random man of rape and her lingerie was found with the man, who would you believe?

While it isn't the most rock solid reason for hatred, and is there not to be a solid idea but rather a plot point that passes, it still provides a decent explanation in my opinion.

So what would you say was the woman's motivation for doing any of this? Other than the author wanting to prove that women are harlots and to get everyone hate the MC. I hope you like waiting for explanations because you won't even get an excuse of a motivation before the final stretch.

The problem is, a lot of people find the explanations extremely contrived, which is why you get so many people complaining about a persecution complex. Additionally, it's also the fact that the whole cast seems to be completely unanimous with hate, not a single person being skeptical. Especially about something like rape when IRL victim blaming is so much more common? It all seems very contrived to make the MC the perfect martyr.

Btw this is unrelated, but the flanderization of the other heroes later on also gets quite ridiculous. Like wow, does the author really hate humanity this much?

@vhagar8 That's fine. My beef is with the show and its author, not the people who enjoy it. Basically I just want people to see the points I'm making, not to make them hate it.
Jan 8, 2019 3:38 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
Pontic said:

So what would you say was the woman's motivation for doing any of this? Other than the author wanting to prove that women are harlots and to get everyone hate the MC. I hope you like waiting for explanations because you won't even get an excuse of a motivation before the final stretch.

The problem is, a lot of people find the explanations extremely contrived, which is why you get so many people complaining about a persecution complex. Additionally, it's also the fact that the whole cast seems to be completely unanimous with hate, not a single person being skeptical. Especially about something like rape when IRL victim blaming is so much more common? It all seems very contrived to make the MC the perfect martyr.

Btw this is unrelated, but the flanderization of the other heroes later on also gets quite ridiculous. Like wow, does the author really hate humanity this much?

@vhagar8 That's fine. My beef is with the show and its author, not the people who enjoy it. Basically I just want people to see the points I'm making, not to make them hate it.

Well, I guess I can't really refute that. I guess the princess is really just a bitch. My friends and I dont even remember her name we just call her bitch princess. Nonetheless, we're both entitled to our opinions and the bleak outlook followed by somewhat of an emotional redemption arc was the type of story I and many others enjoyed.

Another point, I don't really get where the "all women are harlots/bitches" argument is from. I've seen it allot in other people's critiques of this show, but from the Manga so far I haven't really seen any theme of horrible women other than the princess. In fact most women are portrayed in a good way, with the queen and many of the people Naogumi meets on his adventure. While the people in the kingdom harbor animosity toward the shield hero because of the national religion, it is not women who are portrayed as antagonist, but rather people in general.
PonticJan 8, 2019 3:41 PM
Jan 8, 2019 3:42 PM

Dec 2013
@Pontic Naturally, everyone has their own opinion. I'm just here to provide an alternative viewpoint (or well, originally it was just to support ap1001, who I agree with) to show that not everyone enjoyed it and possible reasons why.

EDIT: It's because the MC's first reaction to seeing even a vague drawing of a princess in a book was literally "she looks too slutty to be a princess". It kinda implies he hates women, if that's your first reaction someone you don't even know. Not to mention the author chose to combo that with false-rape accusation to make the point pretty clear.
NthDegreeJan 8, 2019 3:46 PM
Jan 8, 2019 3:50 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
@Pontic Naturally, everyone has their own opinion. I'm just here to provide an alternative viewpoint (or well, originally it was just to support ap1001, who I agree with) to show that not everyone enjoyed it and possible reasons why.

EDIT: It's because the MC's first reaction to seeing even a vague drawing of a princess in a book was literally "she looks too slutty to be a princess". It kinda implies he hates women, if that's your first reaction someone you don't even know. Not to mention the author chose to combo that with false-rape accusation to make the point pretty clear.

Imo it's less to slander women, but to just make the point that the princess looks like and is a bitch, as to further antagonize the antagonist.

I don't know if the "she looks a bit like a slut" bit is from the light novels, but it wasn't in the Manga so I didn't really pay attention to that line.
Jan 8, 2019 3:52 PM

Apr 2018
NthDegree said:
Pontic said:

I think you're really exagerating there.
"Other than the author wanting to prove that women are harlots"; not every woman in the story is a cunt and, as you said yourself, the other heroes themselves are pretty bad too. The story is fairy filled with "good" and "evil" characters that belongs to both genders so I really don't see where this is coming from.
I personally think that the author isn't just that good at charactering, especially when we're talking about the villains (which btw is perfectly fine since the story started as an amateur work). But saying she is a misogynist because the main villain happens to be a chick just does not make sense to me.
Jan 8, 2019 3:52 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:

You'd have to prove that he sees the princess as someone representative of all women, which you have not. His comment about Malty's illustration was specifically pointed towards an individual person, not at women as a collective.
Jan 8, 2019 4:12 PM

Dec 2013
@Pontic It doesn't matter whether she actually is antagonistic, because the MC did not know about yet. Because there was no other information to go by, I'm forced to assume that's how he makes judgements on women in general.

@vhagar8 I was speaking in hypothetical, but combining his first reaction at her image ("slut") with the false rape accusation kinda makes it seem that way. I'm geniunely curious on who is a good male character that a) has a major role b) is not a villain?

@VeryLTTP I said it implies that s/he hates women. Surely you are not going to suggest that calling women sluts at first glance does not suggest negative feelings towards them? And I'm talking in plural, because he literally did not know anything about her except for her looks. Considering there was nothing else to judge her by, yes, that does also imply that this is how he makes judgements on women in general.
Jan 8, 2019 4:17 PM

Sep 2018
NthDegree said:
@@VeryLTTP I said it implies that s/he hates women.

Then you need to further understand what imply means. To imply means to suggest. Just because the character the MC judged happened to be a woman, it doesn't mean he was calling all women sluts.

Surely you are not going to suggest that calling women sluts at first glance does not suggest negative feelings towards them?

Women or a woman? I didn't know the princess is actually more than one person.

And I'm talking in plural, because he literally did not know anything about her except for her looks.

Non sequitor. The princess is one woman. Just because the MC did not know anything about her as a person, it does not mean he knows nothing about women.

Considering there was nothing else to judge her by, yes, that does also imply that this is how he makes judgements on women or people in general.

He misjudged one person. That is not indicative of his judgment of all women or people.
Jan 8, 2019 4:21 PM

Aug 2018
NthDegree said:
@Pontic It doesn't matter whether she actually is antagonistic, because the MC did not know about yet. Because there was no other information to go by, I'm forced to assume that's how he makes judgements on women in general.

@vhagar8 I was speaking in hypothetical, but combining his first reaction at her image ("slut") with the false rape accusation kinda makes it seem that way. I'm geniunely curious on who is a good male character that a) has a major role b) is not a villain?

@VeryLTTP I said it implies that s/he hates women. Surely you are not going to suggest that calling women sluts at first glance does not suggest negative feelings towards them? And I'm talking in plural, because he literally did not know anything about her except for her looks. Considering there was nothing else to judge her by, yes, that does also imply that this is how he makes judgements on women in general.

Well in real life people judge others by looks all the time, if a normal guy who in this case has little to no experience with women SEES a girl wearing a type of clothing, he is bound to make judgements. Hell, if you google "slutty person" you'll find pictures of people because that's what someone perceives as slutty. Nonetheless, we're all entitled to our opinions and at the end of the day the only thing that really matters to us is how we feel.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2019

298 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2019

379 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2019

418 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2019

440 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.