Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2019 3:51 PM

Dec 2013
Oh boy, it was mehdiocre af.
Another overhyped isekai.
Jan 1, 2019 5:15 PM

May 2009
hayka said:
I'm wondering how episode 14 hasn't been streamed as yet? I'm really waiting for it.[/size]

Did you miss the fact that January 1st was yesterday?
Jan 1, 2019 6:25 PM

Oct 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
FontSize72LOL said:

Its important to make a distinction on what is a harem, and what is harem-like. A harem-like anime would have a MC surrounded by females but doesn't contain any romance between, what would have to be several females at the same time. An actual harem would be a situation where the MC is in a romantic/sexual relationship with multiple women (which a lot of LNs of this genre have). I will say that while there is some 'bonding' between the MC and the few female cast members, It definitely falls within the "harem-like" side of things rather than the harem (And honestly, there is nothing wrong with a harem in an escapist genre like isekai anyway even if it did exist).

Having a male lead surrounded by female characters in a genre that panders to male audiences isn't anything new, nor is it particularly bad. After all, in addition to the many male oriented web/light novels there are, you have plenty that are the opposite: Shoujo/josei web/light novels that are of a female MC surrounded by a cast of males vying for her attention. None of these are particularly bad because they know their audience and who they're trying to sell to. That isn't a fault but a marketing design.

Not liking the trope doesn't mean it's bad, It just means you don't like the trope.

IT is a fault when you are making art, and not a commercial piece of... something, wrapped up as art. By this definition it IS bad, being motivated by "marketing" needs and twisting art to cater to some unsavory males who would otherwise not follow a decent story. There is no in-between.

But uh, Its a marketing decision to adapt something that already exists. The Anime is a mere adaption of a LN which is an adaption of a Web Novel the author wrote. Who knows what the authors various reasons for writing this novel are. I'm sure there had to be some passion for it in order for him to keep it going for hundreds of chapters. Whether or not the author had marketing in mind when he wrote the novel, we'd only know if we asked him. Whether it was a marketing decision to pick up a popular 4-5 year old WN/LN during a time where such things are popular and selling well... you know what i'm saying?

I suppose I should clarify that having companies pick something that features a certain trope because its popular is the marketing design rather than the authors intent to write something.
Jan 1, 2019 6:48 PM

Nov 2008
So far so good. I'm liking how the shield works overall. Letting the hero start from nothing and work his way up is a great idea and can be taken from a few different angles. I have some ideas of what might be ahead, but I'll wait until we get to see the main character and his new companion interacting to say anything.

All in all, there's something for everyone. There's a decent beginning with some creativity and character development for normal people and an evil woman who falsely accused a man of rape for the red hats to politicize for the next few months like this story is some sort of documentary (good job?).
Jan 1, 2019 7:06 PM

Feb 2014
Lol ofc Matsuoka gotta be the sword hero

ORANGE BALL BAD

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jan 1, 2019 8:04 PM

May 2015
It was ok. At least better than PV now that it's not just edgy highlights.
Still, the hate towards MC feels a bit forced. And this gameplay interface, how lame. Why on earth a magical world would need a feature straight from computer games. Sigh. I guess for an isekai anime it's a given nowadays.

What I actually liked is the way the shield can be developed. And yes, please, go full-fledged badass anti-hero MC, it could be fun.
Jan 1, 2019 8:10 PM

May 2018
The red hair bitch should be thrown inside a goblin cave. That's the least she deserves for abusing the kingdom's PROTECT THE WAHMEN rules.
Jan 1, 2019 8:46 PM

Jun 2013
Only_Brad said:
The red hair bitch should be thrown inside a goblin cave. That's the least she deserves for abusing the kingdom's PROTECT THE WAHMEN rules.

Wait what will happen to that bitch later on. I mean literal "bitch" LOL
Kitan~!
Jan 1, 2019 9:01 PM
Feb 2012
so when do the good anime start airing?
Jan 1, 2019 9:53 PM

May 2018
vicexxv said:
Only_Brad said:

Wait what will happen to that bitch later on. I mean literal "bitch" LOL

literal bitch is actually a female dog but I know what you mean, I've read the manga.
Jan 1, 2019 10:09 PM

Mar 2010
so glad to see this get adapted.
Jan 1, 2019 10:51 PM

Dec 2010
Kamiyan3991 said:
I watched this only because of the 8.5 score w/o reading the description. it was a mistake. it checks off all of the generic isekai boxes.
Jan 1, 2019 11:42 PM

Dec 2016
After watching the 1st episode I can tell this is going to be really good.

I hope that bitch and hero gets what they deserve for betraying Noifumi like that, now he has mud as a reputation for doing absolutely nothing.

I love how he can intimidate others with those weak monsters.

Looks like he might have found a new partner though through this slave trader.
Jan 2, 2019 12:03 AM

Mar 2010
I'm having crazy déjà vu.
Either I've seen an anime thats just like this, or a really olds chool version of this a long time ago. Or im just insane. Anyways, its looking great.
Jan 2, 2019 12:05 AM
Jan 2008
the betrayal arc was slow, boring, and uninteresting but it did pick up the pace after that
Jan 2, 2019 12:47 AM

Apr 2016
Sly wamen are scary!
Abilities:
Charm to make you comfortable with them and let your guard down.
Flirt to make you get what they want.
Invincible as they use their "respect wamen" status against you

Anyway, the first episode really left a good impression on me.
It shows great promise.
Really got me to root for the MC after how he was treated in this episode.
At least that bald guy wasn't as bad as the other characters.

4 Heroes: Shielder, Saber, Archer, Lancer
Hmmmmm. :v
Kinda felt bad that they said that being a Shielder is useless.

That cliffhanger though. :/
Jan 2, 2019 12:52 AM
Jan 2008
you know, they should've used tensei slime as reference on how to do a good LN/WN/manga adaptation. tensei slime not only took its time developing the story but it retained the internal monologues ever-present in LN protags, something they omitted in shield bro. naofumi would often assess his situation and the people around him based on his monologues and the lack of it in the anime doesn't really spell out the gravity of the situation he's in.
Jan 2, 2019 2:02 AM
Aug 2017
I would have brushed this off as another boring isekai except i saw this short clip of this on YouTube and i had enough free time to give ep1 a go.
And I have to say it is impressive to say the least. Sure the usual isekai tropes are present but I am just a sucker for a tortured and nihilistic MC (all we ever get these days are cheery b*tards full of baseless hope...yuck).

Btw why is the episode 45minutes long?
Jan 2, 2019 2:41 AM
Aug 2018
Can somebody tell me which episode is gonna Continue from this point. Like is the first ep just gonna be the same as the pre air or not
Jan 2, 2019 4:16 AM
Aug 2018
Ok like i liked the episode and it was indeed a good adaptation but i really really hope the anime end where the novels stopped being good and it will never get a second season.
I also hope they will make an anime only ending.

I loved the start of the manga and then it got pretty random and boring.
Jan 2, 2019 7:12 AM
Nov 2018
This series is sooooooooo generic and bad.
Let me explain,

- MC use shield as a weapon? Every anime use that weapon, so it is generic and bad
- Can't use another weapon? Of course this is generic too.
- MC not OP from start? This is bad and boring like every isekai anime.
- MC become darker? NO! MC should be positive! Because I don't like that type. It is too similar to other isekai anime.
- Not a harem? Bullshit! It must be a harem! I don't care what anyone said in the novel or manga. Even if it is not harem the anime will change it to a harem! I never wrong!
- Prologue with Monologue? This is new but shit anyway. So that is bad.
- Buying a slave because discriminated? Stupid choice! Unrealistic! All anime should be realistic!
- No OP and ED in the premiere? What? That is 2 minus point!

So I should give this first episode -9/10 yeah you read it right MINUS NINE!

*cough* *cough*
bozclarktJan 2, 2019 7:16 AM
Jan 2, 2019 7:38 AM

Mar 2014
Nice start, the whole betrayal and quest for revenge is very interesting. I know most Isekai have the protagonist like ridiculously strong, kind and charming which I find it boring and yes there were other similar Isekai where the story turns dark and I prefer it like that cause it's more real and interesting
Jan 2, 2019 9:04 AM
Dec 2014
Ten said:
Still, the hate towards MC feels a bit forced. And this gameplay interface, how lame. Why on earth a magical world would need a feature straight from computer games. Sigh. I guess for an isekai anime it's a given nowadays.

What I actually liked is the way the shield can be developed. And yes, please, go full-fledged badass anti-hero MC, it could be fun.

There's actually an explanation for that.

Jan 2, 2019 9:15 AM
Jul 2017
FMmatron said:
Myne that bitch

The others were scummy as well.

Pretty promising start. I'm afraid that I'm hoping for too much, but this seems at least decent compared to other isekais.

This guy was amongst the first Isekai these days. And the first one that i ever read. I really hope that it gets the attention it deserves. Even though all the knock offs who came after it have ended up being released before the shield hero, who just rehash the same plot over and over again, and sub-sequentially drained us of our will to live when it comes to this genre.

Can we all please show him respect. Rather than waves of calamity, right now he's facing the current isekai plague.
Jan 2, 2019 12:13 PM
Jul 2016
That mental break down make the MC from such a good boy into badass
Jan 2, 2019 1:19 PM
Dec 2018
The first impression is pretty good. Both the art and the sound deserves a 9. The story is a bit different from the usually isekai shows, it feels unique in some way. The main character is not an all-powerful being with a bunch of girls around (don't know if it will be), very realistic. But this is also just a normal isekai show and some of the plots makes no sense. The story is probably a 7. The character is just like any other isekai shows, an otaku normal Japanese guy. Which is Fair (6). I did enjoy it (8). So overall for episode one, it's probably an 8. I will definitely keep watching this show and see what happens next. The 45 minutes ep1 is great.
Jan 2, 2019 1:37 PM

Dec 2013
mahoupenisu said:
Kamiyan3991 said:
I watched this only because of the 8.5 score w/o reading the description. it was a mistake. it checks off all of the generic isekai boxes.

Pretty much but not only that.
This story actually doesn't make sense lol.
That baseless accusation was plain stupid. What an awful writing.
Jan 2, 2019 8:03 PM

Mar 2014
pretty much create a bunch of dumb side characters to encircle MC and make him look like epic and intelligent as fk.
Jan 2, 2019 8:29 PM
Jan 2013
Ten said:

There is an actual reason here.Things are not what they seem.Even in the first episode you see that
the world has a lot characters are lying and hiding a lot of stuff .

Jan 2, 2019 11:16 PM
May 2018
best Isekai to date, I love the realism
Jan 3, 2019 4:28 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah. This one is designed to cater for a very specific worldview. There I am, having noticed various suspicious things, and so expecting her to make off with that expensive equipment she's been bought at some point, or something like that. Suddenly, BAM! nonsensical false rape accusation out of nowhere. The (original) writer clearly has unhealthy opinions about women, or at least is writing for an audience of such people. I do not have any persecution complexes or the like which need satisfying, I'm afraid.
Jan 3, 2019 5:52 AM

Jun 2014
This episode started off powerful VERY powerful. I'm hooked.

Pacing, music, art, animation, characters, its done it all in this episode.
Jan 3, 2019 6:47 AM
Nov 2018
logopolis said:
Yeah. This one is designed to cater for a very specific worldview. There I am, having noticed various suspicious things, and so expecting her to make off with that expensive equipment she's been bought at some point, or something like that. Suddenly, BAM! nonsensical false rape accusation out of nowhere. The (original) writer clearly has unhealthy opinions about women, or at least is writing for an audience of such people. I do not have any persecution complexes or the like which need satisfying, I'm afraid.

Well it is only that girl, of course she is the only one girl who is really really disgusting in this story, it is about individual.
bozclarktJan 3, 2019 6:50 AM
Jan 3, 2019 6:54 AM

Jun 2017
That was a good watch. I'm expecting a lot from this anime and I hope to see more. I also hope for that bitch to be executed in the medieval way. The horse, the spikes etc. The hero will be a baddass on this one.

“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 3, 2019 8:22 AM

Apr 2012
gastert said:
Well it is only that girl, of course she is the only one girl who is really really disgusting in this story, it is about individual.

...the only female character of any significance who has been introduced at that point in the story, (all the heroes are male, for instance,) in the first actually dramatic event of the story, done over the top to the point of caricature, even with her making a face at the protagonist which anyone could notice, in a way which defies any explanation in terms of actual human psychology, in a place quoted as having laws like "nobody can refuse a drink with a women" and "violence against a woman is the worst thing you can do"...

No, it's quite obvious what worldview is being put forth here.
Jan 3, 2019 8:25 AM
Nov 2018
logopolis said:
gastert said:

...the only female character of any significance who has been introduced at that point in the story, (all the heroes are male, for instance,) in the first actually dramatic event of the story, done over the top to the point of caricature, even with her making a face at the protagonist which anyone could notice, in a way which defies any explanation in terms of actual human psychology, in a place quoted as having laws like "nobody can refuse a drink with a women" and "violence against a woman is the worst thing you can do"...

No, it's quite obvious what worldview is being put forth here.

Well, if I tell you why it is like that, that is big spoiler. There is a legit reason for that actually.
Jan 3, 2019 8:34 AM

Apr 2012
gastert said:
Well, if I tell you why it is like that, that is big spoiler. There is a legit reason for that actually.

There being fictional world explanations is irrelevant. The author chose to write the start of his story like that, he has complete control over the things he puts in the story in order to write the start of his story like that.
Jan 3, 2019 8:50 AM
Nov 2018
logopolis said:
gastert said:

There being fictional world explanations is irrelevant. The author chose to write the start of his story like that, he has complete control over the things he puts in the story in order to write the start of his story like that.

I agree that the author has complete control and rigthly so to do it. I mean this plot is actually new in an anime that I have watched, I never see something like that before in the start of the story. It makes some drama, I think the author just want to create Myne to become a heartless and cruel character in his story.
Jan 3, 2019 1:06 PM
Sep 2018
The episode was great and really fleshed out the manga. But since I'd read ahead I actually ended up weeping through it because I already knew how it was going
Jan 3, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2017
It was pretty generic and nothing new, it was decent.
REVIVE MECHA
Jan 3, 2019 3:14 PM

Aug 2018
It was a good start but... betrayal, revenge, weak MC... where did I see it before?
Jan 3, 2019 7:33 PM
Aug 2018
White knight country. Haha.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Jan 3, 2019 7:37 PM

Mar 2014
That may have been the most predictable betrayal in all of anime.
Jan 3, 2019 8:04 PM

Feb 2015
For those who read the manga or other sources:

[SPOILER AHEAD:]

The shield hero "feeds" the shield with the parts of monsters he killed, and it looks like it unlocked some kind of ability, right? I believe it makes him immune to that monster.
Then, he feeds it with a plant and unlocks the Leaf Shield with other abilities...

So, my question is, after that, I would try to feed it with as many things as I could, like stones, metals, fire, water and so on to see if it works and what abilities would be available. Does he do that? Does it work?

I accept minor spoilers
Jan 3, 2019 8:19 PM

Sep 2018
Riqueplast said:
So, my question is, after that, I would try to feed it with as many things as I could, like stones, metals, fire, water and so on to see if it works and what abilities would be available. Does he do that? Does it work?

I accept minor spoilers

Jan 3, 2019 8:52 PM

Feb 2015
VeryLTTP said:
Riqueplast said:

I accept minor spoilers

Thanks... I will keep watching it then.
Jan 3, 2019 10:08 PM
Nov 2018
Riqueplast said:
For those who read the manga or other sources:

[SPOILER AHEAD:]

The shield hero "feeds" the shield with the parts of monsters he killed, and it looks like it unlocked some kind of ability, right? I believe it makes him immune to that monster.
Then, he feeds it with a plant and unlocks the Leaf Shield with other abilities...

I accept minor spoilers

Jan 3, 2019 10:46 PM

May 2018
haoody said:
that white knight who thinks that women can't lie about rape, lol

Sounds pretty realistic. A lot of idiots are like that in real life.
Jan 4, 2019 3:58 AM
Apr 2016
Only_Brad said:
haoody said:
that white knight who thinks that women can't lie about rape, lol

Sounds pretty realistic. A lot of idiots are like that in real life.

Not that they are idiots, it is rather not a norm that a female would be lying about something so serious. A concept of female corruption is not as vast as male corruption because, surprisingly, male corruption happens many more times. The ratio is such that it is simply a more statistically correct assumption that male is at fault, not the female. That said, nowadays you MUST assume that both could be in the wrong, and rather than instantly jumping to accusations, asses both and wait for a fair trial.
Here though we are talking about a society where women are not dishwashers by default and are somewhat (GASPS) RESPEKTED. Also Japan is a place where if you accuse a man of something as a woman you will get smacked around until you dogeza your last bits of dignity, so it is not a normal occurrence that a female would lie about a serious crime. Which is why heroes also rather believe that thot.
Re:formed
Jan 4, 2019 4:24 AM
Jan 2018
this is one of those cases where somone only believes someone just becouse they have a pretty face.

The other so called heros are so dense and stupid that they don't realise they are being played.

People are gonna hate the heroes more
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2019

298 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2019

379 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 17, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2019

418 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2019

440 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 16, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.