Forum Settings
Forums

Delete MAL accounts that haven't logged in for MORE THAN 6 MONTHS

New
automatically delete accounts that haven't logged in for 6 months
Jan 2, 2019 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
taking into account the fact that lots of users left MAL for good i was thinking of making it more alive (i mean less ghost accounts and more real ones) by eventually permanently deleting those that haven't been ONLINE for the past 6 months. if needed, an anime styled warning after 3 months "visit us, we miss you. - MAL fam"

might sound lame at first, but it'll keep this place clean and lively!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 2, 2019 9:28 AM

Aug 2014
why tho

I see absolutely 0 reason to do this aside from clearing up names. If the names are all we care about, could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.
Jan 2, 2019 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
Ardanaz said:
why tho

I see absolutely 0 reason to do this aside from clearing up names. If the names are all we care about, could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.

well, i was thinking at all those out there waiting for some of the users to come back, while last time they'd been online was in 2012 lol
but now that u mentioned it, names is a good reason, a very good one. even i had to add the ugly "-" in front of my name bcs without was taken already.
Jan 2, 2019 10:00 AM

Apr 2018
Once I came to think about that idea not long ago. But you have to analyze things:

From what I see in the little experience I have in MAL, a lot of users have left this page for X reasons (Not just the one that happened in May). It is true that there are a lot of accounts that could be considered "junk" because of their permanent inactivity. However, applying this to "all inactive users" would be unreasonable.

Many users are not empty; most have filled their list of some series seen, retired reviewers, moderators and people who were very active in MAL, even if they had nothing in their account. If this applies to those users, would not it be taking away a large amount of work that MAL has carried for several years?

I think it could be applicable only to those users who "literally" do not own anything in their account, it's just there, without any "Forum Post", "Recommendations" or any other list; including that they do not have a profile picture.

Although I think it's too complicated...

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jan 2, 2019 11:24 AM

Jun 2017
The only acceptable thing is that users don't have literally anything (No lists, forum posts, etc.) but other than that accounts shouldn't be deleted...
-Shigeko said:

but now that u mentioned it, names is a good reason, a very good one. even i had to add the ugly "-" in front of my name bcs without was taken already.

Well before there was a thread for usernames...
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1430734&show=3250#msg56037614
Jan 2, 2019 1:18 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
So your logic was that some people out there constantly check users that were gone for a long while waiting for them to come back and that is so detrimental to their mood that we should just get rid of those inactive users for good so the active ones can finally just give up and move on with their life? What kind of reasoning is that :'D At least the usernames make sense (and others users have made similar suggestions), but there are already rules in place to ask a taken username (although the thread is currently closed for technical reasons, but hopefully will reopen at some point), so no need to remove accounts for that.

Either way, I don't agree with this at all. Some inactive users do come back, even after years and why shouldn't their account stay intact? I stopped using MAL for a year at some point and then returned. I'd be pretty pissed if my account was gone (especially if the reason was that some active users can't take it, haha). Even if that happened, the threshold would be pretty large, like 5-7 years at least? Definitely not 6 months.

Not mentioning that it wouldn't make the place more lively, because the active users would still be the same. It would only cause chaos because deleted accounts would mean deleted threads and posts, which would probably cause people to leave MAL as they are risking their posts in a thread to be forever lost if the OP leaves.

But as others said, completely vacant accounts of a few years, could be ok, but those usually have sucky names either way.
Jan 2, 2019 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
No, this isn't a good idea at all. Firstly, this is the internet. Thousands of people use it and usernames are bound to be taken. That was the whole point of the now inactive username request thread. Secondly, storing accounts costs little to nothing. There just isn't a point in removing them after a certain time period. Thirdly, lots of inactive users come back. I don't think that my time away from MAL was over six months, but if it was, I would have been devastated to find out that my account had been removed because I didn't use the website.
Jan 2, 2019 1:35 PM

Jul 2017
there is no point to automatically delete an account that has been inactive for 6 months because it doesn't do anything
and some users might come back unexpectedly (one of my friends came back to mal after an entire year of hiatus for instance)
deleting their accounts based on their activeness without their permission is just plainly disrespectful
however I do think mal should've given the users an option to deactivate their account with their consent
to put it simple, there should be a delete my account button
Jan 2, 2019 3:00 PM

Nov 2017
As someone who got caught up in the inevitabilities of life this past year, I would've been quite sad to see my profile vanishing simply because I had matters to attend to.

Of course I'll try to keep up the activity now, but sometimes you can't escape priorities, and this seems like a harsh punishment, especially for those that have worked on their profile/Don't have a back-up of their list.

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Jan 2, 2019 11:16 PM

Jun 2016
Surprised that this has so many no's.

I don't really see the logic in keeping inactive accounts from a user perspective or a business perspective. Like 3 years? That's not a vacation, they clearly have no intention of using their account and it's practically a waste of storage.

Would much rather see that storage be put to use in pfp, signature sizes.

I do see a valid argument in saving conversation and debates but a profile? Like if they have a great list, just copy all their anime to your plan to watch or something. If they have a great signature, save it.

I hate the reason of "storage" being brought up against the make sig / pfp sizes larger, while contradictory actions like completed / denied suggestions + old profiles take up thousands upon thousands of GB's in space.
Jan 2, 2019 11:55 PM

Oct 2014
Some people don't even consume anime/manga on monthly basis, meaning they will watch/read 3-4 shows max in the span of three years or more. I made this account in 14 for example, went on a break for 2 years and then came back in 2017.

Reading VNs and LNs for example can take several months if you have little time on your hands. Might sound like excuses but it do be like that sometimes.

There are also people like me who take years to remember a title they've seen or read

Jan 3, 2019 3:46 AM

Jul 2015
If your name is taken then just be more original.
Jan 3, 2019 9:11 AM

Oct 2018
depending on how the account activation works for this site, why not adjust what OP said for accounts that haven't been activated for that time period?
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jan 3, 2019 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
Maffy said:
So your logic was that some people out there constantly check users that were gone for a long while waiting for them to come back and that is so detrimental to their mood that we should just get rid of those inactive users for good so the active ones can finally just give up and move on with their life? What kind of reasoning is that :'D At least the usernames make sense (and others users have made similar suggestions), but there are already rules in place to ask a taken username (although the thread is currently closed for technical reasons, but hopefully will reopen at some point), so no need to remove accounts for that.

Either way, I don't agree with this at all. Some inactive users do come back, even after years and why shouldn't their account stay intact? I stopped using MAL for a year at some point and then returned. I'd be pretty pissed if my account was gone (especially if the reason was that some active users can't take it, haha). Even if that happened, the threshold would be pretty large, like 5-7 years at least? Definitely not 6 months.

Not mentioning that it wouldn't make the place more lively, because the active users would still be the same. It would only cause chaos because deleted accounts would mean deleted threads and posts, which would probably cause people to leave MAL as they are risking their posts in a thread to be forever lost if the OP leaves.

But as others said, completely vacant accounts of a few years, could be ok, but those usually have sucky names either way.

Well, it might sound silly, right? But as far as I've been here, and it wasn't that long, i did meet people that indeed are waiting or like u said "constantly check users" in case they've come back or not. The reasoning at least, comparing to yours, is not selfish but thought out of compasion.

You find it funny, and its totally normal, but can people keep being selfish and egocentric, and leaving relationships behind just bcs, well, they don't feel like it? I don't know if i have a grudge against those that left or that i really want a more clean MAL.
Okay, maybe 6months/1year was a too short period of time. 3 years seemed more reasonable, indeed.

Deleted accounts could be replased by "user2543436" and everything stays there, not like the threads or posts need to vanish lol

My point at least was to make people aware or some consequences, like if u join a community or even talking to one person, be consistent. But, my bad, i forgot that for the internet those rules don't apply.
Jan 3, 2019 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
MAYOISM said:
there is no point to automatically delete an account that has been inactive for 6 months because it doesn't do anything
and some users might come back unexpectedly (one of my friends came back to mal after an entire year of hiatus for instance)
deleting their accounts based on their activeness without their permission is just plainly disrespectful
however I do think mal should've given the users an option to deactivate their account with their consent

or this, yeah. or maybe both, like there's with other social media: deactivate (as to offer a possibility of coming back) or delete (forever). fine, u decide it for yourself then, with nobody doing it for you. great idea
Jan 3, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Masanori-kun said:
As someone who got caught up in the inevitabilities of life this past year, I would've been quite sad to see my profile vanishing simply because I had matters to attend to.

Of course I'll try to keep up the activity now, but sometimes you can't escape priorities, and this seems like a harsh punishment, especially for those that have worked on their profile/Don't have a back-up of their list.

I just felt bad and sad for those that keep waiting. For some reason i excluded the thought of people going on hiatus bcs of their real life. makes sense
Jan 3, 2019 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
Inorichi said:

I don't really see the logic in keeping inactive accounts from a user perspective or a business perspective. Like 3 years? That's not a vacation, they clearly have no intention of using their account and it's practically a waste of storage.

I do see a valid argument in saving conversation and debates but a profile? Like if they have a great list, just copy all their anime to your plan to watch or something. If they have a great signature, save it.

I hate the reason of "storage" being brought up against the make sig / pfp sizes larger, while contradictory actions like completed / denied suggestions + old profiles take up thousands upon thousands of GB's in space.

At least one person out of 10 (or more) sees the other side too.

Exactly, u either use it (bcs this is not a blog u read once a decade. If there's nothing that keeps u here (= haven't visited for years), what's the point of keeping his/her lists and posts overall? Its not like those people secretly stalk their profiles to see what's going on, or am i wrong?

Same here, I'd rather see MAL evolving and having more options, even the pfp size (like u mentioned), or extra descriptions to anime/manga characters that are seriously lacking here… (all that takes space lol), more video's/pictures, instead of dead profiles. There should be invested in the MAL as an anime website, and not a storage of dead people, just saying.

Really thanks for your post! I felt less contradicted.
Jan 3, 2019 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
PsychoticDave said:
If your name is taken then just be more original.

like you for sure (:
(my point wasn't even names….)
Jan 3, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Venomous said:
Some people don't even consume anime/manga on monthly basis, meaning they will watch/read 3-4 shows max in the span of three years or more. I made this account in 14 for example, went on a break for 2 years and then came back in 2017.

Reading VNs and LNs for example can take several months if you have little time on your hands. Might sound like excuses but it do be like that sometimes.

There are also people like me who take years to remember a title they've seen or read

there are many other websites that are better suited if only thing u came for on mal is tracking your lists tbh…. while this place is 10 in 1, and news and profiles, and lists, and video's, and anime and manga's and forums and and and comments/pm's… well, just saying...
Jan 3, 2019 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
-Shigeko said:
MAYOISM said:

or this, yeah. or maybe both, like there's with other social media: deactivate (as to offer a possibility of coming back) or delete (forever). fine, u decide it for yourself then, with nobody doing it for you. great idea

the account delete option is planned, its just that the developers are busy with other priorities, i read it somewhere here in the forums from one of the admins i think it was @Luna who mentions it
Jan 3, 2019 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
DarkFramuMaster said:
depending on how the account activation works for this site, why not adjust what OP said for accounts that haven't been activated for that time period?

hmm, what do you mean? like there's a period u can reactivate or?
Jan 3, 2019 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
-Shigeko said:

the account delete option is planned, its just that the developers are busy with other priorities, i read it somewhere here in the forums from one of the admins i think it was @Luna who mentions it

great to hear, i think we see lots of dead accounts mainly for the reason that people weren't able to deactivate them, or... they didn't really care much
Jan 3, 2019 11:56 AM

Sep 2015
6 months is a bit short. I have a friend who haven't logged in for years, forgot which email he signed up with and after I sent him a friend request logged in again. I think the site should send the first warning after 1 year, then another 2 in the following month, then delete the account.

I think that would be healthy for the ratings. Deleting passive account would delete a lot of the older fake/bot accounts.
Jan 3, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2018
-Shigeko said:

the whole click on the link to finalize registration thing, specifically accounts that never completed that step.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jan 3, 2019 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
DarkFramuMaster said:
-Shigeko said:

the whole click on the link to finalize registration thing, specifically accounts that never completed that step.

oh icic, never knew those accounts existed too lol
Jan 3, 2019 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Heldengeist said:
6 months is a bit short. I have a friend who haven't logged in for years, forgot which email he signed up with and after I sent him a friend request logged in again. I think the site should send the first warning after 1 year, then another 2 in the following month, then delete the account.

I think that would be healthy for the ratings. Deleting passive account would delete a lot of the older fake/bot accounts.

warnings are indeed a nice way of preventing u don't wake up without your account, one day.

that would be healthy for the whole community tbh...
Jan 3, 2019 2:18 PM

Feb 2010
No this is a terrible idea, the reason the DB and scores are useful is because of the huge sample size of lists that accumulated over the years. If only super recent accounts would exist the top lists would always just be the most recent hyped seasonals and nothing else. It would ruin any integrity of the average scores on MAL.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 3, 2019 5:12 PM

Apr 2014
if you purged accounts then scores would be messed up and other stats too
Jan 3, 2019 9:48 PM

Jul 2015
I haven't watched anime in months and thus haven't used this site in months. If anything, it would need to be like a 5 year thing.
Jan 4, 2019 5:41 AM

Feb 2015
Delete after not logging in for a day, 24 hrs to be exact.

OP, you're not doing it right.
Jan 4, 2019 6:58 AM
Dec 2018
Hell no; why would you ever do that?
Jan 4, 2019 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
6 months are too short.

Some people graduate, get a degree, are moving to another country, become parents... you get the idea.
They maybe don't care for anime for a few months and remember their account after 1 or 2 years.

Make it 3 years.
removed-userJan 4, 2019 11:07 AM
Jan 4, 2019 4:06 PM

Dec 2018
6 months doesn’t really seem like a long time to be inactive there could be many reasons as to why a member doesn’t engage for a period of time. If there is a real problem with dead/empty accounts then maybe a time frame of at least a year is the way to go or if shorter with an emailed warning before deletion to try and reengage the user
Jan 4, 2019 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
this is tru but maybe for a longer period just because i want @hugmynd 's name to go back to codephat
Jan 6, 2019 5:55 AM

Feb 2015
Inorichi said:

Funny thing is I came back here after three years so...
Insert Text Here
Jan 6, 2019 8:04 AM

Nov 2018
that's a simple no for me

The only reason would be to clear up names and unless the people who are gone are on your friends list or you are looking at forum posts from years ago, you wont notice that they are gone. Apart from that a lot of people, like myself, use MAL to store their anime activity and if my account gets deleted I'd lose all that just because then someone else can use my name? Doesnt make sense to me.

Account deletion should really only happen when there is an account with 0 anything on it.
Jan 7, 2019 8:12 AM

Nov 2017
This sounds a bit early. Some people just take a hiatus for a couple of month, or wanna leave the place but return back again. It would suck to know to not have my account anymore. Also what if a heavy accident happens to someone who is unable to get earlier online again? One year sounds like a better time span. Cause if you're gone for so long you either won't come back or forgot the pw anyways.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Jan 7, 2019 1:32 PM
Feb 2017
Ardanaz said:
why tho

I'm not agreeing with the deletion of accounts that are inactive, but what about clubs? Clubs will show accounts that's have been inactive for long periods of time, what should happen to those people as it doesn't actually show the accurate amount of members? I like the idea of removing the username after X years, removal of clubs seems justified as well I think.
Jan 8, 2019 6:50 AM

Oct 2018
Just delete Izuma for me. They've been dead since 2014. I want that name.

But yeah, other than wanting names deleting Users is pointless. Plus, what would that do to the ratings? Wouldn't that have an effect? I don't think it's that big of a deal. Every site has tons of dead accounts.

i'm a worm
Jan 10, 2019 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
-Izuma said:
Just delete Izuma for me. They've been dead since 2014. I want that name.

But yeah, other than wanting names deleting Users is pointless. Plus, what would that do to the ratings? Wouldn't that have an effect? I don't think it's that big of a deal. Every site has tons of dead accounts.

hmm are you still using the email that is attached to your previous account?

you can log in and change your username to a random one
then log back in with your current account and change it to the one you previously used

* nvm I realized its someone else's rip LOL
same goes to mayoinnaise
Jan 10, 2019 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
Deleting their accounts would get rid of old forum posts, wouldn't it? If I'm watching a show from the late 2000s, I enjoy reading what people were talking about the show while it was airing. But not everybody from this time would still be using their accounts.

Jan 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Nov 2007
-Shigeko said:
taking into account the fact that lots of users left MAL for good i was thinking of making it more alive (i mean less ghost accounts and more real ones) by eventually permanently deleting those that haven't been ONLINE for the past 6 months. if needed, an anime styled warning after 3 months "visit us, we miss you. - MAL fam"

Clean and lively? Says someone who hasn't been in MAL for half a year.

Create these stupid threads after you have been with MAL for at least 3 years.

@Ardanaz your suggestion wasn't helpful either.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 13, 2019 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
-Shigeko said:

Clean and lively? Says someone who hasn't been in MAL for half a year.

Create these stupid threads after you have been with MAL for at least 3 years.

@Ardanaz your suggestion wasn't helpful either.

"stupid threads" HAH "been on MAL for at least 3 years" HAHAH

honey, this is my 2nd account, js *winky winky*
you're really funny (:

p.s. actually, are u discriminating against those that just joined MAL? Oh God... calling others stupid just says who u are urself tbh. Take care next time you're assuming things, gonna be better for u.
Jan 14, 2019 6:07 PM

Aug 2012
Without reading the many reply counts, I would say a majority of the MAL user base have been offline for more than 6 months, especially when MAL's API went down. Accounts should be terminated at a period of time, though personally I use to use the site for anime purposes without logging into my account or creating one.
Jan 14, 2019 6:20 PM

Jun 2015
No this is a terrible idea as it would delete a lot of accounts ratings given by old users and thus mess up the whole ranking system plus there are some users who used to be very active, some of them have thousands of forum posts and others have highly rated reviews and completely deleting them means deleting there contributions too.

Ardanaz said:

[we] could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.

Then why don't we do so ? We really need to system to get inactive usernames.

Jan 15, 2019 12:09 AM

Aug 2014
Dark_Lord9 said:
Then why don't we do so ? We really need to system to get inactive usernames.

There are a lot of things that we want. MAL has a very small dev team, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get any kind of new features at all tbh
Jan 15, 2019 3:05 AM

Aug 2018
Ardanaz said:
why tho

Can't agree more.
Jan 15, 2019 5:13 AM

Aug 2018
You know, I originally voted that an account be deleted after 365 days of inactivity.

However, after skimming through several of the comments, there are some good points to be had here that goes against my initial reaction.

There are numerous reasons why someone would be inactive for a long period of time. Sometimes, users aren't all that active on the site because of personal reasons or just the ways of life in general.

Someone shouldn't have to be forced to spend every breathing moment on this website just to ensure that their existence is secured.

There are plenty of users (I'm not just talking about MAL) who will take a long hiatus before coming back to the website to continue where they left off, or come back just out of nostalgia. It would feel terrible if you came back to your account being deleted for inactivity, because that would just be inhospitable. It just makes the user feel disposable, and that's not the kind of "warm welcome" we'd like to give to other "reoccurring" users.

sincerelyacatJan 15, 2019 5:17 AM
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Jan 20, 2019 2:43 PM

Mar 2008
No what the fuck? That's needless
Jan 20, 2019 9:50 PM
Oct 2018
That would be a very radical move on behalf of the site.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
6 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.