Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 30, 2018 4:01 AM

Apr 2016
Kawaritai said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
I would add about the direction that their attention to details, body language, camera shots felt like one of the good Kyoto animation show. It's really similar in a good way.

I bet the director appreciate Kyoani's work. At some point I wished they had as much potential for the drawing part since I prefer the art in Hibike for instance.

It could have been a great Kyoani show.

Troyca did great nevertheless.

Agree on everything, except perhaps the drawing part that I don't know (I have not seen Hibike). When you talk about the drawing part, aren't the studios generally trying to emulate the style of the original manga? Or are you referring to how well they have adapted the style of the original work? I am somewhat new to anime in general and not really familiar with all these studios so maybe I misinterpret what you meant. I suppose the characters in Kimi ni naru look unique in the same way they do in the manga (I remember someone complaining in an early episode thread about the characters' eyes being creepy, for example).

To emulate the style of the manga is one thing, and Troyca did it well but make everything fluid and with more details is something no other studio can do as well as Kyoani, in my opinion. One can look at the hair or the clothes for example. Despite the praise about the art and animation, they never reached Kyoani's level, I think. Nevertheless the direction manage to focus on the right things, like some body's movements, a great way to say things just by showing.

To sum it up, the direction is Kyoani's level, but the art and animation wasn't as high. Troyaca probably doesn't have as many good key animators as Kyoani, or maybe they just had less time.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 30, 2018 4:10 AM
Dec 30, 2018 4:31 AM

Oct 2018
GeminiII said:
This was no Zombieland Saga for me, but it was a good show. Solid 7, 7.5 if I could. I did like how, unlike Citrus, Yuu and Nanami's relationship was fairly healthy and still managed to have some good kissing scenes without one being too sexually aggressive toward the other. Also there weren't a whole bunch of uppity rivals, which always annoys me with these types of shows. I have to say that the one 'rival', Sayaka, was actually a character that I liked. Props to the writers for making her that way, cause I was seriously thinking that I would be fine with it whether Nanami ended up with her or Yuu.

I don't understand these constant comparisons with Citrus, from what I can see they're not made by the same studio. Honestly, it makes me sad to see them mentioned together, is it only because they both happen to contain lesbians? One seems to be more or less about violent kissing and groping out of the blue, and the other about a slowly blooming relationship. It does not feel like they're the same genre or would cater to the same audience.

I agree with you completely on Sayaka, not that she got the opportunity of being much of a competitor or rival in the anime. Touko was pretty firmly set on Yuu. I would have been equally happy seeing Sayaka end up with Touko, though. Honestly, it feels super sad seeing her alone reading in the end of the last episode (even though for some reason they made her look strangely smug).

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
To emulate the style of the manga is one thing, and Troyca did it well but make everything fluid and with more details is something no other studio can do as well as Kyoani, in my opinion. One can look at the hair or the clothes for example. Despite the praise about the art and animation, they never reached Kyoani's level, I think. Nevertheless the direction manage to focus on the right things, like some body's movements, a great way to say things just by showing.

To sum it up, the direction is Kyoani's level, but the art and animation wasn't as high. Troyaca probably doesn't have as many good key animators as Kyoani, or maybe they just had less time.

Oh, I understand. I loved Kobayashi's meidoragon but I did not really pay attention to the animation quality. So now I'd like to see more Kyoani. Is there any romance in Hibike?
Dec 30, 2018 4:34 AM

Jun 2014
So no stage show in the end... well, it's good they haven't rushed it. At least we've got a sweet date.

One of the best titles this season, 9/10 from me.
Dec 30, 2018 5:04 AM
Jan 2018
sXeblues said:
Mattinator95 said:
The play wouldn't be a resolution ending either it would just feel like where it stopped here.

Wasn’t talking about the play... The anime leaves off in the midst of a toxic friendship/relationship wherein one person is obviously struggling with emotional and psychological issues, and the other, most probably an asexual, has been repeatedly conditioned to be subservient to her. No growth, no evolution, no resolution. Nothing at all in the way of suggesting either one is on a path to figuring themselves out, or confronting their issues. It’s just left entirely up in the air. But, I guess we’re supposed to be content because Touko fell asleep while leaning on Yuu.

That's what generally happens when you only adapt 24 chapters on a ongoing series that hasn't reached its resolution yet

And even if the anime did the play and ended there there would still not be any growth ,evolution or resolution or confronting of issues as it would have been explored after it so either way it would have still ended the same
Mattinator95Dec 30, 2018 5:14 AM
Dec 30, 2018 6:28 AM
Jul 2018
WE NEED A SECOND SEASON (AND MORE FREQUENT MANGA UPDATES)
Dec 30, 2018 8:05 AM

Mar 2008
dadnaya said:
Overall was a nice anime.

Super disappointing ending, thought we'd get to see the show.

Anyways, typical 'Go read source fellas'

I just want to point that there's no source yet.
There's the play and then there's not much else. It's better to stop now and then finish latter with OVAs.
Dec 30, 2018 8:53 AM

Dec 2016
Really good episode but how are you going to build up the stage play pretty much all season then never even show us it lol. Maybe that just means they're gonna do a season 2? Hopefully
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 30, 2018 9:02 AM
Jan 2018
TheFreycook said:
Really good episode but how are you going to build up the stage play pretty much all season then never even show us it lol. Maybe that just means they're gonna do a season 2? Hopefully

Maybe eventually we never know but doubt be for like a year or 2 as the manga hasn't ended yet and there no really any point in doing the play and not showing the after effects with touka after all the play is to 'change' her in some way
Dec 30, 2018 10:13 AM

Apr 2016

If you're looking for romance, Hibike Euphonium is not the right show. Maybe when the next movie comes out there will be more in this regard. I loved the 2 seasons nevertheless.
Dec 30, 2018 10:41 AM

Oct 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

If you're looking for romance, Hibike Euphonium is not the right show. Maybe when the next movie comes out there will be more in this regard. I loved the 2 seasons nevertheless.

Okay, I understand. Thank you :)
Dec 30, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2007
Looks like they had to shuffle a couple of elements of the final play into this episode to include them before the season ended, but it worked quite nicely in the end. Not a bad place to stop, since the changed script will start things moving again and is therefore better left for an eventual sequel. And there better be one...

DumpsterKing said:
eshwar007 said:
Amazing from start to finish, i saw the lack of closure that was about to hit us in the last episode, almost 2-3 episodes into the anime, since the pacing was steady and I would have had it no other way.

A small point to note : I believe many of the subs translated the Title Idea as "Only you know" but it reads in japanese as "Kimi Shika Shiranai", meaning 'Know only you' or rather 'I dont know anyone else other than you' which makes sense, since Yuu acts out her part as the nurse in the back of aquarium, telling nanami how she does not know other aspects of her personality, other than just her being herself.

Just something i thought people should know. I may still be wrong, since I am in no way an expert in japanese.

edit : Almost forgot to score the show lol, 9/10, loved it, will read the manga soon. Though i would prefer a continuation of some sort, the direction was flawless.

'I only know you' was how it's translated in the manga.

The scanlators initially went with "Only you know" as well, IIRC, but changed it in later chapters to "I only know you", once the reason for the title was revealed. Should have been easier for the anime's official translators seeing how we actually had Touko and Yuu act out the scene where the title came from. Good thing we have a proper translation from a fansub group available as well.
luinthoronDec 30, 2018 1:34 PM
Dec 30, 2018 1:29 PM

May 2015
sXeblues said:
Mattinator95 said:
The play wouldn't be a resolution ending either it would just feel like where it stopped here.

Wasn’t talking about the play... The anime leaves off in the midst of a toxic friendship/relationship wherein one person is obviously struggling with emotional and psychological issues, and the other, most probably an asexual, has been repeatedly conditioned to be subservient to her. No growth, no evolution, no resolution. Nothing at all in the way of suggesting either one is on a path to figuring themselves out, or confronting their issues. It’s just left entirely up in the air. But, I guess we’re supposed to be content because Touko fell asleep while leaning on Yuu.

That's really what you thought of their relationship in the end? Yikes... You should pay attention next time.

Dec 30, 2018 6:34 PM

Apr 2014
this was a pretty perfect adaptation, the only thing that sucks is that there's not enough material to even have a 2nd season .. maybe in a year or 2 then yeah a season 2 can happen but no way of that happening now

but wow this was seriously beautiful enjoyed every bit of it even more so than i did with the manga

but with that said only thing to do now is to keep reading and waiting for the manga updates but i really do hope someday down the line they'll make another season

cause again this was such a beautiful adaptation and i love this series
"one step at a time"
Dec 30, 2018 6:34 PM

May 2015
A very nice finale, and a really good adaptation in my opinion. I felt like they hit all the right notes, from the visuals to the compositions. Some scenes felt so powerful. It felt like Troyca and the staff really went all out, and I loved every second of it.

Hoping for a second season, since the play is such a big part of the story and relevant to Touko's character.

10/10.

Dec 31, 2018 1:20 AM

Nov 2018
Kawaritai said:

I don't understand these constant comparisons with Citrus, from what I can see they're not made by the same studio. Honestly, it makes me sad to see them mentioned together, is it only because they both happen to contain lesbians? One seems to be more or less about violent kissing and groping out of the blue, and the other about a slowly blooming relationship. It does not feel like they're the same genre or would cater to the same audience.

I agree with you completely on Sayaka, not that she got the opportunity of being much of a competitor or rival in the anime. Touko was pretty firmly set on Yuu. I would have been equally happy seeing Sayaka end up with Touko, though. Honestly, it feels super sad seeing her alone reading in the end of the last episode (even though for some reason they made her look strangely smug).

Oh haha, I do agree that the shows aren't actually all that similar in content. I think I drew the comparison simply because true yuri anime are already rare enough, and it's even rarer to find ones that gain as much popularity as Citrus and Bloom Into You. So in my mind I was just like, what else could I go off of? But yeah, I would say objectively that this one was a better show and the relationship seemed more, well, believable. And I'm glad you agree! Sayaka was really chill and I think she deserves a good ending, I hope she isn't just brushed off to the side and forgotten about once the two girls get together. I'd like to see her end up with someone who makes her happy too! (:
Dec 31, 2018 4:35 AM

Oct 2018
GeminiII said:
Kawaritai said:

Oh haha, I do agree that the shows aren't actually all that similar in content. I think I drew the comparison simply because true yuri anime are already rare enough, and it's even rarer to find ones that gain as much popularity as Citrus and Bloom Into You. So in my mind I was just like, what else could I go off of? But yeah, I would say objectively that this one was a better show and the relationship seemed more, well, believable. And I'm glad you agree! Sayaka was really chill and I think she deserves a good ending, I hope she isn't just brushed off to the side and forgotten about once the two girls get together. I'd like to see her end up with someone who makes her happy too! (:

Yes, I completely agree and that is perhaps my only complaint about this last episode. The way they showed her sitting there alone smirking did not do her character justice. Up until now the writer seemed to endeavour to tell her story as well, through her backstory and her development during the course of the show. But her sitting there in the end was just some kind of semi-closure, probably thrown as an after-thought.

But Yagate kimi ni naru seems to be the kind of show that really makes an effort with its side characters as well (like its regularly coming back to the teacher and Miyako) so I really hope and feel confident that Sayaka wonät be just brushed off and will be well treated by the time it is over :)
Dec 31, 2018 4:53 AM
Oct 2018
she a
Kawaritai said:
GeminiII said:

Yes, I completely agree and that is perhaps my only complaint about this last episode. The way they showed her sitting there alone smirking did not do her character justice. Up until now the writer seemed to endeavour to tell her story as well, through her backstory and her development during the course of the show. But her sitting there in the end was just some kind of semi-closure, probably thrown as an after-thought.

But Yagate kimi ni naru seems to be the kind of show that really makes an effort with its side characters as well (like its regularly coming back to the teacher and Miyako) so I really hope and feel confident that Sayaka wonät be just brushed off and will be well treated by the time it is over :)

she already have her own spin off manga. a more focus on her younger days and her first girl to girl relationship (ep 7 shown a bit of it)
Dec 31, 2018 5:47 AM

Oct 2018
xscetia23 said:
she already have her own spin off manga. a more focus on her younger days and her first girl to girl relationship (ep 7 shown a bit of it)

Oh wow, really? What is it called? Everything relating to Sayaka has been super interesting so far in the manga/anime.
Dec 31, 2018 5:50 AM

Mar 2010
I think I've said this already somewhere, but I started this anime with really random-ish expectations, and actually ended up looking forward to its developments. I was disappointed we got no clear resolution but then I realized that heck, the source material is still ongoing! This is actually one of the best adaptations of ongoing source material I've ever seen. Makes the ending look much better.

I hope we'll get a second season, but I might just skip to reading in time <3
Dec 31, 2018 5:54 AM
Sep 2018
Kawaritai said:
xscetia23 said:

Oh wow, really? What is it called? Everything relating to Sayaka has been super interesting so far in the manga/anime.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru – Saeki Sayaka ni Tsuite, it's a Liht Novel and hasn't been translated yet.
Dec 31, 2018 6:49 AM

Oct 2018
DumpsterKing said:
Kawaritai said:

Yagate Kimi ni Naru – Saeki Sayaka ni Tsuite, it's a Liht Novel and hasn't been translated yet.

Thanks, that is so fantastic, I suppose many readers felt they could relate particularly well to Sayaka. You would not happen to know whether there is somewhere where you can read it? (if talking about such things is permitted on MAL?)
Dec 31, 2018 7:28 AM
Sep 2018
Kawaritai said:
DumpsterKing said:

Yagate Kimi ni Naru – Saeki Sayaka ni Tsuite, it's a Light Novel and hasn't been translated yet.

Thanks, that is so fantastic, I suppose many readers felt they could relate particularly well to Sayaka. You would not happen to know whether there is somewhere where you can read it? (if talking about such things is permitted on MAL?)

If you read Japanese, you can buy it. Can't find anything else.

Dec 31, 2018 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
Finally a nice yuri slice of life drama romantic series.

After watching (and reading) Citrus and Netsuzou Trap this is what I needed.

The end was nice though it felt like 1 or 2 more episodes were missing for a perfect closure, also because we didn't get know how Sayaka will accept this all or react to it. Although at the same time I know the manga is still publishing (haven't started to read it yet).

Still... that's why I'm bending to give this 8/10 instead of a 9/10.
If possible, would give a 8.5/10 (talking about it, on dramalist there are those scores ^^)
TechOtakuDec 31, 2018 9:33 AM
Dec 31, 2018 11:11 AM

Jan 2015
Afezeria said:
That means this anime is indeed too deep for you then, because literally just last episode Yuu decided to do something to change Touko, plus this date happened to cement their relationship further down the line. This isn't the true finale anyway because the manga is still ongoing. Really don't understand how one can even grasp subtle developments. People like you must've like everything to be shove straight to their faces and all events gotta be bombastic and explosive. I would implore you to watch Michael Bay films instead.

Man, you are just too cool for school, with all of that less than subtle condescension... But, for all your championing of the majesty of subtlety in characterization, you’re still forced to admit that this wasn’t a ‘true’ finale. Good, and thank you for that. Because even if this was just the first season finale, your summarization proves it went nowhere, and there needs to be more to get anything truly fulfilling out of it.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Dec 31, 2018 11:14 AM

Jan 2015
Mattinator95 said:
That's what generally happens when you only adapt 24 chapters on a ongoing series that hasn't reached its resolution yet

And even if the anime did the play and ended there there would still not be any growth ,evolution or resolution or confronting of issues as it would have been explored after it so either way it would have still ended the same

Sounds like a whole lot of wasted time, to me... If they had at least left off with some kind of dramatic hook, I’d have been more hopeful to see more, eventually. But, I didn’t get anything even remotely like that out of it.
sXebluesDec 31, 2018 11:31 AM
Dec 31, 2018 11:29 AM

Jan 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
That's really what you thought of their relationship in the end? Yikes... You should pay attention next time.

Since the average viewer seems to be so easily placated by the potential for a cutsie shoujo-ai/yuri framework, I would suggest that it is they who needs to pay more attention to the actual characterization being depicted on screen.

For example, Yuu, who feels no attraction to, or affection for, anyone, be it same or opposite sex, means she’s asexual. Barely anybody has spoken about or recognized that. Nobody, that is to say, has respected that particular aspect to her characterization. They’re just focussed on ‘ships’.

Touko is clearly depicted as having an unnatural obsession with her dead sister, in that, by her own admission, she’s trying to literally become her. That is a deeply significant psychological issue. Add to that, her pushing herself on Yuu, who willfully expressed her lack of desire for other people, in that way, and Touko’s own borderline threat that should Yuu fall for her, she’ll knowingly abandon her. And I’m supposed to believe this isn’t a toxic relationship?

Manga-philes can tell me all day how the source material is still ongoing, and that there are resolutions and further characterization elements to come that’ll further develop whatever connection lies between them. But, this anime, in all of its 13 episodes, did nothing to suggest otherwise.
Dec 31, 2018 11:36 AM
Sep 2018
sXeblues said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

For example, Yuu, who feels no attraction to, or affection for, anyone, be it same or opposite sex means she’s asexual
except when she's attracted to Touko...

Basically, this first part is Yuu coming to terms with the fact her feelings develop differently from others, in a way more reminiscent of demi-romanticism and then to start to help Touko to change. It is quite clear how that's going to happen.
DumpsterKingDec 31, 2018 11:40 AM
Dec 31, 2018 12:06 PM

May 2015
sXeblues said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Since the average viewer seems to be so easily placated by the potential for a cutsie shoujo-ai/yuri framework, I would suggest that it is they who needs to pay more attention to the actual characterization being depicted on screen.

For example, Yuu, who feels no attraction to, or affection for, anyone, be it same or opposite sex, means she’s asexual. Barely anybody has spoken about or recognized that. Nobody, that is to say, has respected that particular aspect to her characterization. They’re just focussed on ‘ships’.

Touko is clearly depicted as having an unnatural obsession with her dead sister, in that, by her own admission, she’s trying to literally become her. That is a deeply significant psychological issue. Add to that, her pushing herself on Yuu, who willfully expressed her lack of desire for other people, in that way, and Touko’s own borderline threat that should Yuu fall for her, she’ll knowingly abandon her. And I’m supposed to believe this isn’t a toxic relationship?

Manga-philes can tell me all day how the source material is still ongoing, and that there are resolutions and further characterization elements to come that’ll further develop whatever connection lies between them. But, this anime, in all of its 13 episodes, did nothing to suggest otherwise.

No, I'd still say it's YOU that needs to pay attention, because saying that there was basically no progress made in the entire 13 episode run is ridiculous and flat-out wrong. Things did change, but for whatever reason, you're unable to recognize that.

Maki-kun recognized it. Did you just conveniently forget he was there?

Yeah, and Yuu is trying to help Touko realize that she doesn't have to become her sister and should just be herself. Yuu supporting Touko and developing feelings for her along the way is kinda the point of the story. Also, Touko doesn't want Yuu to fall for her because she hates herself, and doesn't want to be with someone who loves the things she hates. That's not the best reasoning ever, as Yuu points out by directly countering with the opposite statement, but it still makes sense at least a little. She's not just some ungrateful psycho bitch. She's confused and in need of very serious help, which Yuu is providing her.

Actually, yes it DOES suggest otherwise. I think the manga readers would be a better judge of that than the dude that had his eyes and ears shut while watching the show.

Dec 31, 2018 12:21 PM

Jan 2015
DumpsterKing said:
except when she's attracted to Touko...

Basically, this first part is Yuu coming to terms with the fact her feelings develop differently from others, in a way more reminiscent of demi-romanticism and then to start to help Touko to change. It is quite clear how that's going to happen.

That may be so... And if it is, that’s fine. But, to me, they haven’t shown anything in the way of Yuu’s actually being attracted to Touko. Sympathetic toward her, yes. Wanting to help her, sure. Enjoying spending time with her, maybe. It hasn’t exactly been straightforward, which is probably in large part due to the demi-romanticism you mention. Since so much of Touko’s personality is a mixed up, jumbled mess, it’s amazing Yuu has had anything to really grapple onto or connect with, along those lines. But, I’m assuming most of that comes later. Which arcs back around to my issue with this finale, and its lack of a satisfying resolution, to my own particular tastes.
Dec 31, 2018 12:47 PM

Jan 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
No, I'd still say it's YOU that needs to pay attention, because saying that there was basically no progress made in the entire 13 episode run is ridiculous and flat-out wrong. Things did change, but for whatever reason, you're unable to recognize that.

Yeah, and Yuu is trying to help Touko realize that she doesn't have to become her sister and should just be herself. Yuu supporting Touko and developing feelings for her along the way is kinda the point of the story. Also, Touko doesn't want Yuu to fall for her because she hates herself, and doesn't want to be with someone who loves the things she hates. That's not the best reasoning ever, as Yuu points out by directly countering with the opposite statement, but it still makes sense at least a little. She's not just some ungrateful psycho bitch. She's confused and in need of very serious help, which Yuu is providing her.

Actually, yes it DOES suggest otherwise. I think the manga readers would be a better judge of that than the dude that had his eyes and ears shut while watching the show.

Yuu’s deciding to try to help Touko at the eleventh hour of this round of 13 episodes, is the barest amount of progression we get... And it comes on the coattails of an unfolding relationship that could be interpreted by some as an almost Stockholm Syndrome-esque conditioning, rather than Yuu’s having an actual physical or emotional attraction toward Touko. Most of the time this series spends with Yuu alone, by herself, or with Touko, she is reserved and cannot comprehend Touko’s interest in, or dominance over, her. If Touko were a male character, surely the way she is depicted wouldn’t be considered at all sympathetic, but predatory. Interesting, that.

With this anime ending at the point that Yuu has only just decided to try to help Touko, it is in no way, to my estimation, a satisfying resolution or climax to the series, which was my original point to begin with. Even if I feel for Touko in any way, shape or form, the ending resolves none of it. And once again, someone speaks of the all-knowing manga readers who yes, no kidding, would have a better appreciation of, and familiarity with, the further progression of these characters. But that means precisely squat to me, only watching the anime.
Dec 31, 2018 1:01 PM

May 2015
sXeblues said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Yuu’s deciding to try to help Touko at the eleventh hour of this round of 13 episodes, is the barest amount of progression we get... And it comes on the coattails of an unfolding relationship that could be interpreted by some as an almost Stockholm Syndrome-esque conditioning, rather than Yuu’s having an actual physical or emotional attraction toward Touko. Most of the time this series spends with Yuu alone, by herself, or with Touko, she is reserved and cannot comprehend Touko’s interest in, or dominance over, her. If Touko were a male character, surely the way she is depicted wouldn’t be considered at all sympathetic, but predatory. Interesting, that.

With this anime ending at the point that Yuu has only just decided to try to help Touko, it is in no way, to my estimation, a satisfying resolution or climax to the series, which was my original point to begin with. Even if I feel for Touko in any way, shape or form, the ending resolves none of it. And once again, someone speaks of the all-knowing manga readers who yes, no kidding, would have a better appreciation of, and familiarity with, the further progression of these characters. But that means precisely squat to me, only watching the anime.

Did we watch the same show? You're literally the only person I've seen have these "criticisms", if they can even be called that.

Dec 31, 2018 1:29 PM

Jan 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Did we watch the same show? You're literally the only person I've seen have these "criticisms", if they can even be called that.

So, what does that mean? Everybody in the world is entitled to, and has, their own interpretation of things they experience, read, watch, et al. And if ever I find myself falling in line with a cumulative opinion or interpretation on something, I’ll always take a step back and ask harder questions about it. Might I recommend looking up the terms ‘subjectivity’ and ‘objectivity’, they may just prove useful to you, in the future.
Dec 31, 2018 2:45 PM

Jun 2014
sXeblues said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

To me this looks more like a complaint on the slow pacing of the anime than it actually having anything happening. That fine, I personally prefer slow anime with subtle development than faster show.

But you have to admit there IS development on the cast. Can you say for real that if you compare the characters from episode 1 and episode 13 they are the same? Hell in episode 1 you never saw Yuu smile! She always had her aloof expression and now check all her expressions!

Yes the slow had slow development, it might have been too slow for your taste. Maybe you wanted something more big and dramatic in the story but it was just not meant to be. The story is slow by nature that just the kind of story it is and it's fine to hate it. Not every serie is universally liked but please don't say there is NO development that is just plain out wrong.
Dec 31, 2018 4:19 PM

Jan 2015
Thai777 said:
To me this looks more like a complaint on the slow pacing of the anime than it actually having anything happening. That fine, I personally prefer slow anime with subtle development than faster show.

But you have to admit there IS development on the cast. Can you say for real that if you compare the characters from episode 1 and episode 13 they are the same? Hell in episode 1 you never saw Yuu smile! She always had her aloof expression and now check all her expressions!

Yes the slow had slow development, it might have been too slow for your taste. Maybe you wanted something more big and dramatic in the story but it was just not meant to be. The story is slow by nature that just the kind of story it is and it's fine to hate it. Not every serie is universally liked but please don't say there is NO development that is just plain out wrong.

The pacing wasn’t really an issue for me, to be honest... Nor was the very minor amount of progression that there was, by the end. The biggest issue I had with the series was the lack of a satisfying conclusion. Nothing is resolved, at the end of the series. There isn’t even the hint of a potential resolution, as far as I could personally see. Now, in hindsight, of course, the question of whether the slower pacing and minor amount of progression affected my overall dissatisfaction with the series, or not, does enter into consideration, when trying to pinpoint where exactly it failed to personally resound for me.

And, in spite of my issues with the somewhat questionable and toxic-seeming relationship dynamic between Yuu and Touko, what it comes down to for me is, Yuu’s finally making the formal decision to try to help Touko, and Touko’s own initial confrontation with, and consideration of, who and what she really is, and who and what she may be in the future, as we ended the series with, felt much more like a setup, and not at all like a payoff. Which, I think, is what a finale is supposed to give you; a sense of payoff to everything that was laid out and built upon. Thirteen episodes, and it only really leaves off with the feeling that this was all just a setup. That doesn’t work for me.

Even if I completely eschew all of my other issues with, and interpretations of, the way the series unfolded, it still could have saved itself by giving me some sense of a resolution. Instead, it falls very close to the line of a ‘go read the manga’ ending. And that, to me, is always frustrating, and somewhat insulting.
Dec 31, 2018 5:12 PM
Oct 2018
sXeblues said:
Thai777 said:

The pacing wasn’t really an issue for me, to be honest... Nor was the very minor amount of progression that there was, by the end. The biggest issue I had with the series was the lack of a satisfying conclusion. Nothing is resolved, at the end of the series. There isn’t even the hint of a potential resolution, as far as I could personally see. Now, in hindsight, of course, the question of whether the slower pacing and minor amount of progression affected my overall dissatisfaction with the series, or not, does enter into consideration, when trying to pinpoint where exactly it failed to personally resound for me.

And, in spite of my issues with the somewhat questionable and toxic-seeming relationship dynamic between Yuu and Touko, what it comes down to for me is, Yuu’s finally making the formal decision to try to help Touko, and Touko’s own initial confrontation with, and consideration of, who and what she really is, and who and what she may be in the future, as we ended the series with, felt much more like a setup, and not at all like a payoff. Which, I think, is what a finale is supposed to give you; a sense of payoff to everything that was laid out and built upon. Thirteen episodes, and it only really leaves off with the feeling that this was all just a setup. That doesn’t work for me.

Even if I completely eschew all of my other issues with, and interpretations of, the way the series unfolded, it still could have saved itself by giving me some sense of a resolution. Instead, it falls very close to the line of a ‘go read the manga’ ending. And that, to me, is always frustrating, and somewhat insulting.

why aim for a satisfying resolution? do we need to create an anime original ending just for a "satisfying resolution"? People like this who keeps complaining about 1 cour shows are just getting on my nerve. When the anime creates an anime originl m ending, there is a huge backlash from those who wants to follow the manga. When the anime clearly follows the manga and leaves an opening for a 2nd season since it is clearly stated that there are still material to adapt, people like this complain for "lack of resolution" Go watch hollywood films if you like that kind of thing
Dec 31, 2018 5:23 PM

Jan 2015
xscetia23 said:
why aim for a satisfying resolution? do we need to create an anime original ending just for a "satisfying resolution"? People like this who keeps complaining about 1 cour shows are just getting on my nerve. When the anime creates an anime originl m ending, there is a huge backlash from those who wants to follow the manga. When the anime clearly follows the manga and leaves an opening for a 2nd season since it is clearly stated that there are still material to adapt, people like this complain for "lack of resolution" Go watch hollywood films if you like that kind of thing

I haven’t read, nor do I have any familiarity with, the manga that this series is based on... I watch anime. And I judge anime on its merits alone. I don’t concern myself with the arguments or ‘backlash’, one way or another. I just, plain and simply, watch anime. As to telling me what to do, ‘go watch hollywood films’, I’ll remain civil and refrain from telling you what to go do with yourself. Except to say, familiarize yourself with the terms, ‘subjectivity’ and ‘objectivity’. Not everybody has to think about things the same way you do.
Dec 31, 2018 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
sXeblues said:
Thai777 said:

That a problem with the anime medium itself where 90% of the anime are adaptation of another media and sadly that makes anime a medium for promotion most of the time. Because of that mindset most anime never truly have a satisfying conclusion, only when they go for an anime original ending or if they adapt everything until the end(which is rare). That is one of the flaw of the medium.

To me it's a fine thing to hate that aspect of anime, it is annoying for sure but that just how the industry became overtime, if that helps you from an interview with the author she said that there was a discussion of ending the anime with an original ending with the director but they scrapped the idea in the end and went with a faithful adaptation of the manga "in the hope" of a second season which would close the story completely.

Here's the interview.

Furthermore like I said it feels inconclusive because the manga itself hasn't even resolved the story yet so the anime didn't either. This story instead of being several plot it's more about a single plot that is really long(and slow!), which is why the anime couldn't give a conclusion when they stayed faithful.

That just how the story is, it was too slow and the anime didn't adapt everything(the manga is ongoing too) to give a conclusive ending which is the cause of your dissatisfaction and that is fine, it's just that in the anime medium that is just way too frequent. Bloom just suffer even more because it's actually a single story but stretched out for around 26 episodes but because the manga isn't finished we just have access to the 13 first episode in an anime format.
Dec 31, 2018 6:03 PM

Jan 2015
Thai777 said:
That a problem with the anime medium itself where 90% of the anime are adaptation of another media and sadly that makes anime a medium for promotion most of the time. Because of that mindset most anime never truly have a satisfying conclusion, only when they go for an anime original ending or if they adapt everything until the end(which is rare). That is one of the flaw of the medium.

To me it's a fine thing to hate that aspect of anime, it is annoying for sure but that just how the industry became overtime, if that helps you from an interview with the author she said that there was a discussion of ending the anime with an original ending with the director but they scrapped the idea in the end and went with a faithful adaptation of the manga "in the hope" of a second season which would close the story completely.

Here's the interview.

Furthermore like I said it feels inconclusive because the manga itself hasn't even resolved the story yet so the anime didn't either. This story instead of being several plot it's more about a single plot that is really long(and slow!), which is why the anime couldn't give a conclusion when they stayed faithful.

That just how the story is, it was too slow and the anime didn't adapt everything(the manga is ongoing too) to give a conclusive ending which is the cause of your dissatisfaction and that is fine, it's just that in the anime medium that is just way too frequent. Bloom just suffer even more because it's actually a single story but stretched out for around 26 episodes but because the manga isn't finished we just have access to the 13 first episode in an anime format.

Thank you for sharing that interview, and discussing the series — as well as the anime genre, itself — more objectively than some of the other folks here... It’s actually given me a little bit of a better appreciation of the way the anime was structured. Especially given the added insight that the author was actually heavily involved, and hands on, in adaptating it. That actually gives me a newfound respect for the way it came out.
Jan 1, 2019 12:21 AM

Jun 2014
sXeblues said:
Thai777 said:

Here's the interview.

Thank you for sharing that interview, and discussing the series — as well as the anime genre, itself — more objectively than some of the other folks here... It’s actually given me a little bit of a better appreciation of the way the anime was structured. Especially given the added insight that the author was actually heavily involved, and hands on, in adaptating it. That actually gives me a newfound respect for the way it came out.

Glad to have helped!
Jan 1, 2019 7:15 AM

Aug 2010
nilagoreng said:
Mogami-kun said:
I'm still a little irked they changed Yuu's VA from the PV back then, but the new girl did an awesome job so I'm willing to overlook it

Who were supposed to voice Yuu at first?

Back in this PV from two years ago it was supposed to be Kanemoto Hisako. It's actually really interesting to see how she delivered some of the lines as opposed to the VA who ended up performing the role. Kanemoto-san has more harshness in her voice which is great for Yuu's initial reaction towards Touko, but I'm not sure if she would have been as good as the actual VA towards the second half of the series where Yuu is much softer to Touko.
Jan 1, 2019 7:31 AM

May 2015
didn't mind the series, wasn't good, wasn't bad. But that ending really ticked me off! I'm not one that dives into the symbolism of every scene etc I just like if it makes me feel something after i'm watching, but I felt like Yuu in episode 1. Even more so with the ending- really made me mad! gave it a 4! and i rarely ever do that to a series!

Now to move onto Zombieland Saga...
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”
Jan 1, 2019 6:30 PM

Oct 2017
Mattinator95 said:
LeSponge said:
Ahh... im not sure if this will have a second season, but if it does, i hope it will since i want to know how the play will work out since thats what i am wanting to see, on how Nanami will play that role... anyways i have thought that will be the final episode, thats why i am excited for this one but i dont know why the final episode is a DATE EPISODE only, maybe the manga itself is not still on that play part or whatever it is ( i dont read the source material of it)

Anyways the episode is good though, as i like the date of nanami and koito. Plus it has shown some of its characters in the end...

It's gone way past the play in the manga but that not till like chapter 30 something and the anime ended on chapter 24

I was wondering where I can start reading the manga since I really want to know how this story continues. And since I kind of doubt that we will ever get a second season ( please remember Citrus, if you've watched that) I'd really like to know which chapter I should start with.
Is it 25 then? I would be grateful for an answer!
PS.: Really hope they become a couple (I cannot stand tragedies like White Album 2, School Days, or even Tayutama: Kiss on My Deity). lol
"Your sins shall be paid with blood!" ~Cadis Etrama Di Raizel
Jan 1, 2019 7:15 PM
Oct 2018
A thoroughly enjoyable and heart warming series, would absolutely recommend to my anime friends. Definitely top 5 of the year for me :-)
Jan 1, 2019 9:42 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! A nice finale, but somewhat kinda let down since was looking forward to the play. The moment I saw Yuu and Kanou in the cafe practicing, I knew they will not animate the play.

I also read the manga pertaining the story. It adapts Chapter 23 and 24 which has vary differences. This episode seems to be the most changed compared to other episodes.

First off, the interlude chapter was confusing. It showed Kanou and Yuu at the cafe, then once CHapter 23 starts, they go back again and repeats the same dialogue. I guess the interlude was there when the chapters were still being published.

I do love how they animated Riko and Miyako's conversation from the interlude. Even had the same shock face as the manga XD

There's also a slight difference in the train scene. In the manga, Touko actually did send the message when she got the mail. In the Anime, she accidentally hits send while flailing around. Just a minute difference.

When they both nod one another. I was smiling :D

The dolphin scene was great! I love seeing Touko and Yuu having fun!

Also, the talk with them after the event. I feel that the Anime, Touko was more direct about her having a fake personality of his sister. Still, I love this scene. It really melts my heart seeing Touko talk like that.

Also, after the talk. They walk throughout the aquarium like in the ed scene. The practice session outside never happened in the manga, so I think that was a nice added bonus :D

There was one scene at the end where Touko wishes they're date would never end. I wish they included that in that scene :|

Finally at the train scene. Manga didn't include the title of Kanou's script "I Only Know You"

That concludes the Anime of Yagate Kimi ni Naru! I hope there will be a season 2. Japan is up to 6 volumes right now with single chapters piling up(no Vol 7). US is only at Vol 5(I have it). So I think, if they want a season 2. They would have to wait for 2-3 more volumes before adapting it.

Love Yagate!! I can't wait to continue it in the manga in the meanwhile! I have been reading it after each episode to be up to date and know the differences etc.

I give it a 9/10! I'm so glad they got the voices right and animated the manga as close as possible with added immersion scenes!

For those, who want another Anime similar to this for 2019. I suggest watching Domestic na Kanojo. It has 21 volumes right now. So they have plenty of material to read. You won't be disappointed!!!

Jan 2, 2019 3:59 AM

Jul 2009
I love Sayaka! haha she teased the teacher's lover!
A nice end, I hope a season 2 happens...
Jan 2, 2019 5:00 AM

Oct 2018
bittersweetlove said:
I love Sayaka! haha she teased the teacher's lover!
A nice end, I hope a season 2 happens...

Yes, Sayaka is so interesting! I love how involved everyone got into the play. Especially the teacher's girlfriend, Miyako, whose café served as the planning headquarters seemed pretty up to date on its progression ^^ I don't think it was featured in the anime, but the teacher complains about the cafe having become the headquarters of her students (probably making it difficult maintaining the their relationship a secret ^^)

Like previously mentioned in this thread there is also a Sayaka centered spinoff on its way. I can't wait!
Jan 2, 2019 5:20 AM

Sep 2009
damn, that was the end...? I really had my hopes up for this show :< really hope and OVA will come and gimme some closure.. guess its 6/10 :(

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Jan 2, 2019 5:41 AM
Sep 2018
Statchana said:
damn, that was the end...? I really had my hopes up for this show :< really hope and OVA will come and gimme some closure.. guess its 6/10 :(
You could go read the manga.
Jan 2, 2019 6:33 AM

Oct 2007
Mogami-kun said:
nilagoreng said:

Who were supposed to voice Yuu at first?

Back in this PV from two years ago it was supposed to be Kanemoto Hisako. It's actually really interesting to see how she delivered some of the lines as opposed to the VA who ended up performing the role. Kanemoto-san has more harshness in her voice which is great for Yuu's initial reaction towards Touko, but I'm not sure if she would have been as good as the actual VA towards the second half of the series where Yuu is much softer to Touko.

Haven't seen that PV before. She did a good job as voice of Yuu. Thanks for sharing it on this thread.
Jan 2, 2019 4:51 PM

Apr 2016
SomaHeir said:

For those, who want another Anime similar to this for 2019. I suggest watching Domestic na Kanojo. It has 21 volumes right now. So they have plenty of material to read. You won't be disappointed!!!

Such nonsense !

those two stories are completely different and so far we could say Yagate Kimi ni naru is a very good manga while Domestic na Kanojo is bullshit shounen with boobs, panty-jokes and abysmal writing.

Thanks to you I lost my time.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2018

199 by Worsethansoap »»
Mar 24, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2018

89 by CeliaOffcial »»
Jan 22, 3:05 AM

» anime or manga

kotosugu - Oct 12, 2023

17 by Atsunome »»
Jan 10, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2018

111 by Kimsowon2000 »»
Jan 1, 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2018

103 by Zora_Brightwood »»
Oct 28, 2023 12:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.