Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2018 1:12 AM

May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just came back from the theater(as always..)

I liked this one(3 Oudou) the most out of the three movies. Pretty much the climax and the finale of Zero Requiem.
Really loved the added song from series. I'm glad they used Mosaic Kakera in this movie again :D
Lelouch vs Charles, Lelouch vs Schniezel, and the end with Zero striking Lelouch was all awesome. I think most of the cuts(maybe few new cuts here and there) are the same from the TV series.

Surprisingly, the scene where Roro protects Lelouch hit me hard :'( And i think I know why. Because Roro did not kill Shirley which is the biggest change from the movie and the series. Shirley is alive.

The very end scene was different. C.C was riding a horse(i think) and she was reading a letter by Shirley and Jeremiah. And C.C. said something about Jeremiah and Shirley carrying something to a particular place.(which i think is Lelouch's body) "ジェレミアとシャーリーがこんなところに運びおって…"
It also showed Zero's broken mask washed along the shore, and ended with "Next: Resurrection" Nothing too much was hinted about Resurrection unfortunately.

I think it's safe to assume that "Resurrection" will be the continuation of R2 movie instead of R2 TV series. Different timeline where Shirley is alive.

KisaragiMay 26, 2018 1:40 AM
May 26, 2018 1:33 AM
Aug 2016
Honestly this makes me hope that Fukkatsu no Lelouch is gonna be a movie that follows after the recaps kind off what Madoka Magika did. Shirley being alive makes it already non canon to R1 and R2.
May 26, 2018 3:58 AM

Jun 2016
Don t believe Code geass season 3 is continuation from Movie If not from original series Unless It confirm from Creator mouth.

We just have to wait and see.

May 26, 2018 4:58 AM

May 2014
I'm not sure if i can add a speculation post about the next Geass (feel free to delete this),
but here's a message from Taniguchi Director and Ookouchi Script Writer.

http://www.geass.jp/

The director states that this three-part movie will be the basis of the upcoming Geass. However, that does not mean he denies what happened in the TV series. Take this "Oudou"(3rd movie) not as denial to the TV series, but as another possibility that the TV series hold.

And the script writer says something along the line of..."The ending of the TV series was intended to end the story of Lelouch's story. However this movie(Oudou) is a bit different. This movie is not to conclude, but rather to start a new beginning.

But then again, the script writer said "you can take Resurrection as a continuation to R2" back in 2016 at "Kiseki no Anniversary" event. He even said it's not Lelouch from another world(which I'm not sure counts another timeline or outcome).

Sorry for my garbage(and possibly misinterpreted) translation. Hopefully someone more reliable can give an accurate translation.
May 26, 2018 8:41 AM

Jun 2015
I'm baffled to hear Shirley is still alive. This will create canonicity flame wars among fandoms. Oh, and let's not forget shipping wars, ugh.
Either way, I can't help but feel the decision to keep Shirley alive is intriguing.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
May 26, 2018 2:55 PM
Dec 2017
Lelouch is alive?
May 26, 2018 6:34 PM

Jun 2015
Devisbisha said:
Lelouch is alive?
That's not 100% confirmed. The one that is for sure alive is Shirley.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
May 26, 2018 8:00 PM

Sep 2010
Read the spoilers and its a bigger dumpster fire than the original TV series. Out of all the dead characters to be kept alive they chose the most one dimensional one? Okay lol bullshit, but okay too busy laughing too be pissed off.

Nice to see Sunrise track records for shitty movies from recaps to TV sequels still holds.

2/10. I'm not going to even waste my time to watch the movie.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 28, 2018 12:57 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, the story is more despair than TV series.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 3, 2018 5:09 PM

Dec 2014
wait Shirley was alive...hmmm and what was up with the last scene...did lelounch did not survive as hinted in the animated series finale
Oct 3, 2018 10:11 PM

Dec 2013
dang i loved rewatching this part of code geass. it still gets me teared up and this movie was honestly really good recap. i truly recommend watching the 3 recap movies if you were planning on rewatching code geass to anyone lurking this thread who hasn't watched the movie yet.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Oct 4, 2018 1:24 AM

Jan 2018
ibraheem234 said:
wait Shirley was alive...hmmm and what was up with the last scene...did lelounch did not survive as hinted in the animated series finale

Lelouch wasn't alive in the original tv series. The author confirmed that.
Oct 4, 2018 6:46 PM

Feb 2013
With this movie trilogy, they focused on giving side characters a bit more depth which I like a lot but since time is limited for movies they had to cut out some parts like
which I think was a significant scene in terms of emotion. I can also relate to why they removed them since there are 2 seasons of content prior to the movies. Also, I'm wondering what was the reason they
Can't wait for the 4th movie.
Oct 4, 2018 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
While first two recaps more or less decent to disappointment but have to say this finale recap was 2-hour bombastic experience! and made it worth all the way to watch the first two just to watch this. Feels like creators rushed the first two movies to save for a better final movie.

Haven't watched R2 for long time, but I think there are some nice changes with better ones and extended some scenes and not to mention reanimated fights (I remember there was CGI mecha in the original) and also some old scenes got reanimated as well which were fantastic changes. Also the sound direction changed quite alot especially on this movie since I see the original show's sound director died (way back on 2014). There was two new songs played but wished the R2 first OP could played here as well.

I think they added some characters depth and slight changes their motivations. Also I feel got answers to some of the issues I had during my last watch or maybe they added more explanations here. By the way, I have slight nitpick to say about the ending which had slightly different way executed - they did used the same ost now included vocals and also add scene and dialogues. Don't remember but I can say this change doesn't give off 'finale' or emotional impact like the original. Either way, I think these three recap movies are best as rewatch material imo(as standalone its really bad especially on first two and very lack of character development). Some development cuts down on first the two for better or worse but delivered strongly on the last movie. Also watching these recap movies give off different experience than TV series since there is no cliffhangers and no light moments (which could been hit-or-miss) and some scene changes were nice to watch too.

Hopefully these movies get english redub as well!
removed-userOct 5, 2018 3:46 PM
Oct 5, 2018 12:01 AM
Oct 2011
C.C last line saying "or am I to continue wondering through time?" implied Lelouch died. I don't know what kind of meaning does resurrection have for the next stage but I'm pretty sure Shirley would play a major role. Anyway, the other things that different is Jeremia and Shirley letter for C.C. it feels weird that it doesn't contain anything special

Oct 5, 2018 12:33 AM

Sep 2015
Lelouch vs Charles's change was meh i like the Tv version better.

The moment Nunnally open her eye was better on this Movie.

Outside that Shirley's booty scene they really don't know what to do with her until whole Zero Requiem end.

This is the best recap movie of the 3logy movie of CG

And as for the whole 3logy movie? its really bad because they cut a lot of story, on this movie they made Lelouch kinda meh because he don't make a lot of "mistake" like Tv series.

The only huge change worth to note are Shirley is alive (for the sake of Fukkatsu Lelouch) the whole recap movie is not worth.
Into the Internet!
Oct 5, 2018 10:14 AM

Jun 2010
Holy Schnitzel, C.C.'s last words shines a new light on the possible meaning of the cover art for Lelouch of the Resurrection movie. (the one with a bleeding C.C and silhouette of zero)

I think C.C. might actually get to die by the end of the movie, hopefully with a big smile on her face.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Oct 5, 2018 5:02 PM

Apr 2016
It does a generally admirable job with the already rocky material of this final half of Geass R2, on top of making the finale even better than it already was! That makes it better than the second movie by default! I'm ultimately glad this trilogy exists, even if it should have been a quadrilogy.
Oct 10, 2018 9:36 AM

Sep 2017
#1000th forum post

Well,
lots of stuff to say about this. Random stuff

As usual, I am pissed at the fact that Re;surrection is not a tv series.

I could listen to the scene where Zero kills Lelouch. Best AMV experience, and also worst.*sobs*

But only in R2, not this movie.

Some developments. I guess Jeremiah and Sayoko share some "chivalry" (Insert lenny face).

But Jeremiah is in France. Come on. I thought you were an Aussie.

They ruined the music though. Ending is okay, Opening world's end is purrfect, but the death scenes are somewhat spoiled, which is why I made the AMV comment.
And they taken a lot of dialogue.

I also detect a lot of incest between Nunnally and Lelouch for some reason(And Charles x V.V., but that is for another time).

Marianne is quite hot. When she introduced herself in front of Lelouch with her legs swinging in the air like a ballerina dancer, I simply couldn't resist. Now I see why Jeremiah Gottwald is that much obsessed towards Marianne.

They are going with the C.C. route. They are going with the C.C. route. THEY ARE GOING WITH THE C.C. ROUTE!!!. Why does this piss me off to no end??????????

Speaking of C.C., the only way to remove a seal, as C.C. demonstrated in R2's first episode is by kissing. So, Marianne/Anya had to have kissed C.C. to break off the seal. Am I the only one still hung up on that???

Rolo deserved better than to not kill Shirley and still die.

Still pissed off that Ohgi is still alive. TRAITOR. DIE. Chigusa this chigusa that always. I hope he dies of a bicycle accident.

Serious Suzaku for the win. Him and Lelouch were voiced so well. And Schneizel is also awesome, which was unexpected. I also hope Akito's characters appear in the sequel.

I guess the Knight of One's face just looks like a pervert. I can't help it man, every time he appears, I feel a little violated. And I am a guy for god's sakes.

Anyways, I hope Suzaku x Nunnally becomes a thing by Resurrection. That's the only way I will rate it a 9/10 atleast, which is two more points more than what I rate for this.

7/10.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 12, 2018 2:31 AM

Mar 2016
Shirley stayed alive and did nothing throughout the story. lol. It wouldn't matter even if she were deleted from the anime. I guess she will be important in the sequel.

Forgot that Rolo was supposed to die. I am sad for him once more.

They made Nina and Suzaku a lot more likable in the films. I like both versions equally, but Table-kun probably likes this version better.

They removed the visions that Nunally was supposed to see, when she touched Lelouch, and realise his plans. Instead they had her see Lelouch's smile and understand the meaning. I like that change. She had been trying to do the same thing with Damocles anyway.

My biggest problem with this film was the use of music. Something just felt off. I don't know what as I don't understand music related stuff at all.
Oct 13, 2018 11:46 AM

Apr 2016
FuMomo-kun said:
Shirley stayed alive and did nothing throughout the story. lol. It wouldn't matter even if she were deleted from the anime. I guess she will be important in the sequel.

Forgot that Rolo was supposed to die. I am sad for him once more.

They made Nina and Suzaku a lot more likable in the films. I like both versions equally, but Table-kun probably likes this version better.

They removed the visions that Nunally was supposed to see, when she touched Lelouch, and realise his plans. Instead they had her see Lelouch's smile and understand the meaning. I like that change. She had been trying to do the same thing with Damocles anyway.

My biggest problem with this film was the use of music. Something just felt off. I don't know what as I don't understand music related stuff at all.
Yea, this is an issue a lot of compilation and remake films go through. They have to differentiate the music choices somehow, so if you’re familiar with the songs and their placement, it can feel jarring, especially when sometimes it doesn’t necessarily fit. I did love how they brought back the 2nd ending theme of the original for the climax of disabling the FLEIJA to enter the Damocles tho.
Oct 13, 2018 12:45 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Why did they keep shirley “My only purpose is to be lulu’s love interest” fenette alive
Like Marina from gundam 00 and the like, she’s a pointless character

If lelouch ends up with shirley I will riot
Oct 27, 2018 10:46 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
These movies are pretty fun in standalone point of view. But these movies seriously cannot be consider as "recaps". Rather different type of story-telling. So "Alternative Version" is more precise.

But if to compare to TV series they are noticeably weaker.
I feel that all those story tweaks whenever bigger or smaller ones did quite tweak the general feel. Aside removing bunch of scenes that game very strong emotional value, they did change quite some essential story elements.
Shirley death gave a lot of extra weight in TV series to both story itself and Lelouch.

Although movies remain tragic. I simply don't get as powerful emotions and I am a bit bummed out regarding some of the changes.

Having bunch extra and new scenes was kinda nice fanservice to have in a sense. But I be honest, few of them simply moronic to accommodate story tweaks.

But as whole, it's still pretty good. Probably whole trilogy will get 8 from me, unless third movie manages to screw something up majorly.

EDIT:
I chuckled a bit post-credits. That they removed cart and decided to add C.C on a horse.

That was a bit moronic. But third movie as whole was great, not that many changes this time around. Most changes we got to experience in I and II of which some I quite disliked.

I wonder if studio knew about the fake picture of Lelouch being carriage driver thus made the change in ending to make it more certain that Lelouch died. I feel as some of the overall story tweaks and changes did hide a bit more regarding geass and hints on Lelouch survival. To make the "fukkatsu no lelouch" revival more surprising? I find it silly.

I probably would have rated these movies much lower if I would purely rate these movies in comparison to TV series. But as said, as standalone it's damn enjoyable. Thus the high scores.
DesolatePsycheOct 27, 2018 12:21 PM
Nov 5, 2018 7:24 AM

Oct 2010
I think Shirley was kept alive because it was a drag to put that story in the movie, they only had 2 hours and 20 minutes. Her dying was significant in the series, she was kinda important for the development of lulu's character. Here, if she dies or lives is unimportant.
If the 4th movies flopes sunrise can say that it's not canon. And if it's a succes they can make a whole series (with Kallen fanservice I hope) and make good yen.

Is is weird that I like the specials better?
Nov 9, 2018 10:38 AM

Dec 2009
Thoroughly unimpressed, especially in the production quality.

They broke a lot of the plot to the point where a fresh watcher would have no clue why some of the things are happening, and some actual contradictory errors. Especially in regards to Rolo. There were countless errors and contradiction in the reworked screen writing.

The audio for the whole trilogy was a disaster. Vocals lost in sfx, EQ was funky, most of music was removed, there were points that had bizarre volume shifting... It just goes on and on. All in all it was a complete mess and hard to watch.

It was still decent because the Code Geass story is good, but this rendition of it is just no good. I do appreciate some of the new scenes, and wouldn't mind a fan-edit of the original 2 seasons to incorporate some of the additional scenes if they can fit (excluding the ones that change the plot ofc).
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 12, 2018 4:53 PM

Aug 2016
I'd argue this movie is actually more rushed than the second one, which was already rushed as fuck. However, the thing that bothered me the most about the retelling was Shirley being kept alive while the writers didn't do anything with her at all, her story arcs in the original series were cut off and she served no purpose here whatsoever, they even changed Lelouch's motivation for attacking the Geass Order into a much more lame one, also C.C's backstory was cut off entirely.

As usual, the extra scenes are nice, but that's about it. This trilogy fails at living up to the original series, as well as it fails at being a good starting point for newcomers because of how the story is paced. Seriously, just go watch the original series instead, it's much better than this shit.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad movie, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to its sequel.

Dec 2, 2018 2:31 PM
Jan 2016
Why do people keep saying that you have to watch these movies in order to watch Ressurection? There are barely any changes in these recaps. The only major change is Shirley.
Dec 27, 2018 4:26 PM

Dec 2015
Terrible revelations coming out of nowhere now replace the past overflow of turnarounds, seemingly unprepared by what came before. Nice conclusion though and overall less destructured than II.

I also thought it looked very good (during action sequences, and flying HQ not withstanding) but that might be due to me becoming sleepy as the film went on... because it was again wayyy toooo loooooong !

Enjoyment: 2/5
Score: 4/10 (if it wasn't the finale, it would have been a 5 but there is no redemption to seek here)

@CodeBlazeFate were the action scenes redrawn ?
Dec 27, 2018 6:58 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Terrible revelations coming out of nowhere now replace the past overflow of turnarounds, seemingly unprepared by what came before. Nice conclusion though and overall less destructured than II.

I also thought it looked very good (during action sequences, and flying HQ not withstanding) but that might be due to me becoming sleepy as the film went on... because it was again wayyy toooo loooooong !

Enjoyment: 2/5
Score: 4/10 (if it wasn't the finale, it would have been a 5 but there is no redemption to seek here)

@CodeBlazeFate were the action scenes redrawn ?
Yea at this point, most issues come down to the source rather than the film handling it. This is honestly the best paced of the 3 given that we have approximately 3 hours worth of content, and that we have 3 definitive acts unlike the 4-ish in movie 1 or the two films worth of content in movie 2. Each movie did feel long tho. I don’t think the scenes were redrawn.
Jan 13, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
Ugh Rolo's death ... so so sad ... =(
With Shirley alive in these movies they just had to make that fanservice scene didnt they.

Glad they ended the recap movies on a high note, granted it was a lot easier since they only had to adapt around 10 episodes compared to the 20+ in the second movie.

Lelouch's sacrifice and the buildup towards it despite being condensed and a lot less buildup in these movies was still bittersweet ...

I recommend for anyone watching these movies and not having seen the series yet to watch series, there's so much more to learn, so many more connections between characters to behold.

8/10
Jan 17, 2019 8:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Always that I watch this final, when Lelouch dies, the body changes me, how a turn of emotions!

The best was the last image, the last word, an advancing of the some new, -Re:Surrection- kekeke
Apr 30, 2019 10:28 PM

Dec 2013
Finally caught up and ready for the new movie next week. This is my first time watching Code Geass Subbed so it was pretty interesting, the only movie I had a problem with was the second one since they're were a lot of weird cuts but overall these were good.
May 3, 2019 10:10 PM

Dec 2014
Years later, the weight of this story still gets me. Zero Requiem is just so tragically beautiful, the final moments when everything comes together, when you realize that Lelouch was doing some really special, just damn. Fantastic movie, they still sped through the story but this was noticeably far far better than the second half of the previous movie.

I suppose the biggest change here is at the end with C.C.'s lines, she mentions waiting for Lelouch I suppose as a hint to resurrection. I'm almost certain that Fukkatsu is just gonna be fan fiction in animated form and I'm totally fine with that. XD
Just give me my dose of Lelouch and C.C. and I will be a happy man. <3

I wish they hadn't changed the OST when Lelouch declares himself emperor of the world. The original OST was so much better.

I don't think Shirley being alive will carry much weight in the plot going forward, I think it was just a fan service thing and they didn't want to kill her.

Madder Sky. <3

The new ED song was awesome.
Super excited for Fukkatsu tomorrow.
May 4, 2019 11:39 PM

Aug 2015
Yes, finally finished the three movies and wow, I am more pumped than ever to go rewatch Code Geass all over again; the movies were adequate but the original is definitely the best. Very excited to see Re;Surrection tomorrow, however.

I decided to invite my friend to watch the movie with me but I feel guilty since she hasn’t seen the original and I told her to watch these three recap movies before the showing tomorrow (I guess it’s today now, huh?) since it’s more aligned with the timeline. I wish she’ll get to experience the masterpiece that is Code Geass in its entirety after all this, though.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and the action scenes weren’t bad. They did a good job with the amount of time they were given. Rating a 7 or 8.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Aug 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Sep 2017
A decent conclusion to the trilogy. While I still believe the original series to be significantly better than anything the recap trilogy was able to offer, the recaps did a pretty good job at accomplishing what they sought out to do. There isn't anything particularly new for me to say about this trilogy in comparison to the other two. It was better than the first and way better than the second, of course, but only in regards to story and character development. Sound and art quality remained the same throughout the trilogy, so I can't really comment on that. Like I said, there isn't anything new to say. My biggest gripe with the trilogy as a whole was its pacing issues, which is common in recap trilogies. They are attempting to adapt material originally suited for a ~24 minute runtime, so the material usually doesn't work in the form of a movie, especially when stuff needs to get axed to conserve time. The pacing and story just end up getting butchered, with no real benefit. Fans of the original are disappointed and new viewers aren't experiencing the best form of the material (most of the time, some recap trilogies like the Gundam movie trilogy are at least on par with the source material). For most movie trilogies, and ESPECIALLY this trilogy, a fourth movie to spread things out more should at least be considered. These movies are already long, each running almost two and a half hours. For the pacing to be as slow as it is makes it pretty boring to watch. Code Geass shouldn't be boring. A fourth movie would have dramatically assisted with allowing more material to be presented while also solving most of the pacing problems. Ah well, can't cry over spilt milk. As someone who enjoyed the original 50 episodes a lot, these didn't do much for me besides understanding this alternate timeline going in to R3. 8/10.

Dec 16, 2019 5:37 AM
Dec 2013
Ah, so Shirley Fenette doesn't die in this version. Interesting.
Dec 28, 2019 9:27 PM

Oct 2011
The best of the movies, though not as good as the original. I'm a bit sad two of my favorite scenes felt weaker than in the TV series because they changed them slightly (OST and the animated scenes themselves). I'm talking about the moment he takes the throne and when he announces his world domination. From time to time I come back and rewatch just these scenes and for that, I will keep using the TV series' versions.

Also, they left out that cart behind C.C. to deny most theories from R2, lol. Since the 3rd movie patched things up from the horrible feeling the 2nd movie left, I'm now hyped for the last movie. Can't wait to watch it... but it's already 6.30 am so it has to wait a bit... ;(

Edit: and the ending song is damn great.
Jan 11, 2020 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
Luckily the film dwarfed its precursor, but not the original series.

Seeing Zero Requiem unfold was as enjoyable as it was tragic. It brought the same sense of closure that the original series did. With a glimmer of hope.

Kallen remains the best girl. If only fate had something fortunate in store for her.
Jan 21, 2020 6:33 PM

Jan 2009
Anyone can tell me what exactly did they "fix" in this trilogy? I feel like I should've rewatched the 50 episodes over this Goddamn mess.
Jan 27, 2020 7:15 PM

Jun 2012
The last war is still as good as I remember it more than a decade ago. And the zero requiem is still as impactful as it should. So they rushed the hell out of the 2nd film to make sure they won't be squeezing too much here in the 3rd. Hhhmm, that doesn't change the fact that I still have some grievances XD

I can't really remember the wedding scenes from R2 but seeing here that Ohgi and Villeta have a happy ever after was really nice.
Jan 29, 2020 11:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Amazing movie, easily the best of the trilogy by far! Quick but hitting majority of the strings, to sum it all up imo.

Zero Requiem is just so tragically beautiful, even to this day. Seeing Lelouch’s grand plan unfold like that piece by piece and the end product to top it off - it’s just incredible really! Might’ve just hit me more now than on my first watch, totally in awe at the moment despite knowing what was to come from a long way. One of the best cases, or perhaps even the best for that matter, of "the end justifies the means" in my opinion.

Nunnally’s realisation, Suzaku’s and Kallen’s tears, the former Pres’s, the friend’s and Shirley’s dejected expressions - simply fabulous! Just .. All Hail Lelouch! “The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed.” - Lelouch vi Britannia, the most ruthless but thoughtful ruler of the Code Geass universe I'm betting. Ends up casting a (wish) Geass to the world and to Suzuka even on death's whim, you just got to give it to the man.

Added scene of Kallen and Shirley’s commentary to fill us on a few immediate things was really nice to have! Ohgi as not only the Prime Minister but also a soon-to-be father huh, he’s definitely had an eventful time in the near future lol. I wonder if C.C. riding on the donkey has anything to do with future events though xD. A similar line to the finale of R2 as well, iirc. But a little teaser at the very end, oh yeah! Shirley's character being revived better have a good reason, I mean they excluded Mao completely even so there's got to be some importance to fill in for that right?

Moving back, Charles and Marianne’s grand plan but was definitely better handled in the tv series for obvious reasons but I didn’t think it was as shabby as I feared it’d be since it was still pretty understandable so not too much of a biggie there. Sad that we didn’t get to see C.C.’s past being brought up here in this movie though, I remember that being pretty impactful and reading through the wiki page gave me a similar impression too but there’s no helping that.

Lelouch v Schneizel bit seemed a little more rushed but I’m glad they gave the final bits at least a fair amount of time. And that pre-recording fam, I haven’t forgotten that at all! One of the best checkmates I’ve ever had the pleasure of viewing. At the end of the day, it played exactly according to his plans. Looks like your greatest enemy was a little too good after all, Schneizel-denka.

Survive Said the Prophet really is the G! Dat ED is so perfect, lyric-wise especially and brilliant song overall. This and then Mujankyo, we need to see more of their songs featuring in these kinds of darker seinen-ish shows! Been listening to it for half an hour now and I just can’t stop. Eargasmic, if you will. And that cover photo of Lelouch...

Here’s to hoping the new project will be just as good as this movie and if possible R2! But honestly, I’m just glad we’re getting more from this series after so long (excluding the Akito movies of course)! At first, I was sceptical admittedly but it’s all hype now!
_MushiRock11_Jan 29, 2020 9:11 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 20, 2020 3:56 AM

Jun 2009
Honestly it's been how many years since I last saw Code Geass series, and I can't really pinpoint the difference between the series and trilogy since I don't remember much, but eh the trilogy was fine.

I don't think anyone who wants to start Code Geass should start with the movies since many scenes and context are missing. Starting with the tv series is better.

Anyway, I don't know how they're gonna continue with the 4th movie, but I'm guessing they're resurrecting Lelouch? (I mean, that title tho).

7/10.

May 15, 2020 9:29 PM
May 2020
What should i watch first Hangyaku no Lelouch or Lelouch of the ressurection
May 22, 2020 4:05 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
After the butchering of the last movie, they had it all to succeed here, and so they did, not that hard, they just to follow what was animated many years ago.
That said I thought Lelouch's death was better handled in the TV series, they changed the music and when it played, which gave forth less impact, I still cried my eyes out, in all these years it has been impossible to watch this last scene and not cry.

Really excited to see Re;ssurection now, they also changed the final scene, now we only see CC and on a horse, not a carriage anymore.

SEA-MASTER said:
Why do people keep saying that you have to watch these movies in order to watch Ressurection? There are barely any changes in these recaps. The only major change is Shirley.

That is true, there are other changes, but mostly just superficial and brought forth with new animation so it would make sense with all the cuts they had to do.
Shirley's change wasn't even because they wanted to do something with, rather they couldn't even give her proper screentime for her death to work.
When I finished the second movie it couldn't be more clear to me, this recap is dangerous for new fans that haven't watched the TV series.

The only way to go for the sequel movie is to have seen 50 episodes... these movies skipped too much, and I was only using them to refresh my thoughts since I had seen those so long ago, and in preparation to the sequel movie.
Mind you the recap OVAs aren't any better.

Any new fan to the series SHOULD AVOID these recap movies and stick to the amazing TV series and then watch the sequel movie.
This is only meant for previous fans that can still understand everything despite the FAST pacing and where curious about their changes to these movies.

There is an huge amount of development across the whole cast, not only Lelouch, which had to be severely cut down here.
As a recap, it does its job for any longtime fan, but I will make sure to give it another rewatch to S1 and S2 when I have time after I finish with the sequel movie~~
The only reason this movie scores highly for me is that it was almost impossible to fuck up, being a huge fan it was expected I would come across feeling it all over again after this.

9.2/10 = 9
PlaycoolMay 22, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 18, 2020 7:00 AM

Dec 2015
The pacing and subplots cut from the main series ruin the story's flow. Pivottal scenes like Euphemia's death, Rolo's saving grace fell flat compared to the main series and was honestly a big disappointment.

For those rewatching + new viewers, just watch the main series + forget that Shirley dies. Then watch Resurrection.

~
Oct 4, 2020 12:41 PM

May 2019
I love how they removed the cart in the post-credits to make it sure: "LELOUCH IS NOT THERE ALIVE WITH HER"

Since it was a big discussion by the end of original series.

And ironically, right after this "Lelouch Resurrection", so he will be alive again. Trolling mastery.
Dec 7, 2020 12:50 AM
Sep 2013
All right here's the mandatory: ALL HAIL LELOUCH!!!!

It was literally perfection retold as I saw it. The build-up and action sequences were phenomenal and Zero Requiem always gets the tears flowing. ED freaking killed it. Easy, easy 10/10! <3

Onto the fourth film!
Jan 26, 2021 1:47 AM

Dec 2012
Shirley's survival was so impactful that she was not even invited to the marriage of Villetta and Ougi, as the unchanged photo clearly showed.

Just set the replay speed to 300% and watch the original series in 6,5 hours instead of these recap movies. Okay, I'm clearly joking here.
Not that these are so bad, without any previous context I'd rate them a little over 7/10 but please do yourself a favor and watch those 50 episodes instead.
Feb 10, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2012
Well, better than the second (seriously what were they thinking doing a timeskip well within the movie instead cleanly having the beginning of R2 at the beginning or end).

More displays of the figurative games of chess between two military minds like the first movie, though I couldn't really invest myself in the fantastical thought-elevator scenes. Damocles looks rather silly.

Suzaku, sure there are people who have no choice but to work within the system... doesn't justify killing your own people. That being said, Ohgi/Chigusa, what right do you have to oust Zero as Lelouch vi Britannia?

Well, Shirley was useful in the ending (along with Jeremiah) though not on screen as much as I wished she were.

That song was beautiful, I didn't know it was done by the same singer that did an insert song for Planetes (also directed by Taniguchi).

Now onto Re;surrection.
Fortress_MaximusFeb 10, 2021 12:44 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Did they have anything about Season 3 in this? Hints/Teasers/News?

FreshPrinceof3H - May 27, 2018

7 by aurora_yuuki »»
Jun 29, 2023 2:29 PM

» I understand NOTHING of what I'm seeing in this movie...

CursedFein - Sep 24, 2020

2 by Khunime »»
Mar 10, 2022 10:46 PM

» Is this just a recap?

PxHC - Jan 13, 2022

9 by AJRavi03 »»
Jan 30, 2022 7:06 PM

» Did they redub and reanimate this or is it a cut and paste of the series?

mechian - Aug 7, 2019

1 by dxtremecaliber »»
Oct 18, 2019 4:36 AM

» WHAT IS THIS?

SmolAngeryHolo - Sep 24, 2017

31 by Fate_warrior95 »»
May 25, 2018 10:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.