Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2009 7:47 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol! The guy wanted Goro in the team even though he's so young. Good episode overall.
Apr 11, 2010 10:42 PM

Feb 2008
the coach was super mean to his son once Goro showed up, unintentionally ofc

Toshi should really wear the catcher's protective gear if he's going to be catching new pitches.

for a moment I thought he was going to walk in on her in the shower ; )

that was pretty stupid of Goro, if his dad had actually heard him he would have struck out :/
Apr 24, 2011 10:52 AM

Feb 2009
Another good episode!I guess Toshi is bound to become a catcher.
jacobpaige said:

that was pretty stupid of Goro, if his dad had actually heard him he would have struck out :/

Definitely,lol.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 18, 2012 10:06 PM

Mar 2011
Predictable, but entertaining.
Jun 19, 2012 11:44 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I thought it was kind of corny how Goro went to his dad, cheered, and he hit a homerun. I'm still quite enjoying this, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 28, 2012 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
Aw, this was sweet.
Aug 8, 2012 10:48 AM

Jan 2012
so simple and predictable, but very beautiful
Apr 30, 2013 7:58 PM

Jul 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Yeah, I thought it was kind of corny how Goro went to his dad, cheered, and he hit a homerun. I'm still quite enjoying this, though.

Predictable yes, but you're right its still very good and powerful. Amazing how good most baseball animes turn out to be.
Dec 27, 2014 1:18 PM

Nov 2009
Love this series . . . Although perhaps not as geared towards sports as I would have thought, although my guess is that because it is setting up the backstory, since it would seem that this series will follow Goro throughout his life.
Jun 25, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwn, man, that was so cheesy, but I still said ''Fuck yeah!'' when he hit the ball. That was so awesome.

I wasn't surprised by Honda reaction when he learned about Goro training with a pro ball and he was right. It can be really dangerous at that age. There probably is a very young softball ligue, or at least, a weekly course training for aspiring baseball player. He should start there.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 3:00 AM

Jun 2009
well, it was obvious he was going to get a home run.
Aug 5, 2015 1:59 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, I'm impressed things worked out so well. It would have been so sad had they not.
Mar 20, 2016 2:34 PM

Mar 2012
I hate when kids are quick to misunderstand someone's intentions when they're just trying to look out for them >_> At least it got resolved in an episode and it seems like Honda's doing pretty well. Maybe unrealistically well but eh, can deal with it.
Apr 14, 2016 6:39 AM

Feb 2013
Great hit Honda!
I feel that he and Goro's teacher will be a couple.
Let's see if Goro will actually wait 4 more years.
Aug 25, 2016 6:09 AM

Feb 2008
Man, Goro's dad is easily the best anime dad ever. I've yet a see an anime dad that's looking after his child as much as he is lol. It will make me a bit sad when the story shifts to Goro's baseball career, because a story about a dad trying to get back into baseball while taking care of his son sounds like a great story as well.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 3, 2016 2:11 AM

Jun 2015
I am loving this so far.
:)
Nov 30, 2016 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
This show is getting a lot better!
Dec 8, 2017 3:38 PM

Nov 2016
Seems like Honda made a successful comeback.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 16, 2018 8:00 PM

Jul 2016
Watched the first three episodes and this one was my least favorite.

How is it that Honda was this big time pitcher, yet lives in a tiny apartment and seems to be worried about a job? I'd get it if he had blown all his money on something.. but at least explain that to us.

When he came up to bat, the crowd reaction was so dull. They acted as if they had never even seen Honda before, even though he was one of their big game pitchers. It really feel flat for me. Also, it was super corny how it all happened.

With all that said.. I'm still gonna stick with the show. I heard the first season is a little sketchy, but I do like the characters so far.
Jan 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Jul 2010
Predictable but still happy nonetheless, Goro shouting like that could've had the opposite direction tho lmao
Dec 24, 2018 3:52 PM
Aug 2018
While I can understand the fathers concerns, his irascible nature is irritating and annoying.
How about speaking in a calm manner?

And he should have had a proper talk with his son about the reasoning behind his actions.
tr25a3Dec 24, 2018 3:56 PM
May 15, 2019 5:08 AM

Jun 2016
These episodes pack so much in and outside of the melodramatic parts like the somewhat contrived moment when the coach let out his regrets over raising his own child selfishly, it felt fulfilling and meaningful! Even that specific moment was also quite nice in a cheesy way.

The first part of the episode showcasing Honda and Goro's growth was nice. It was really fun to see Goro refuse to be scared away and show off his skills to make them take him on. I especially loved the cut when Takafumi was lecturing them and it cut right to Goro trying to play in the background. It also made me feel some sympathy for Takafumi as his dad wasn't even seeing his own efforts. That and Goro's nice words of encouragement to Toshi when he doubted himself made it all very nice.

Then we had the misunderstanding and melodramatic meeting I first mentioned where it got super sad in a childish but understandable way. More sweet moments of Hoshino supporting a sad Goro and then finally we had his dad make it up to Goro in the best way possible!

It even touched on a thing I was thinking about quite a bit, Honda and Goro's relationship. Hoshino put it as it is, "Goro and baseball mean everything to him"! And we can even see, Honda speaks about training for Goro, and Goro wants to make his dad proud of him. It's so hard to separate his hero Honda the baseball pro from baseball! But this started to touch on why that isn't so harmful, I think at least. It's not a conditional relationship, Honda wants Goro to be happy, he doesn't care if he becomes a pro! And as long as Goro is happy with his dad doing his best then I think baseball is a nice conduit to grow their relationship! It would be nicer if Goro was able to love his cool dad as his dad and separate him from baseball more though.

mshea1213 said:
How is it that Honda was this big time pitcher, yet lives in a tiny apartment and seems to be worried about a job?

When he came up to bat, the crowd reaction was so dull. They acted as if they had never even seen Honda before, even though he was one of their big game pitchers

It was stated that he just hit 'fame' and then fell from it. He was hardly in the big leagues when he was forced out of it. Due to two injuries and his wife's death he fell from fame quick. He didn't have enough time to make a lot of money and even in the restaurant scene with Shigeno they recognized him and not Honda. He was never a big pitcher he just started to get there and fell off!

tr25a3 said:
While I can understand the fathers concerns, his irascible nature is irritating and annoying.
How about speaking in a calm manner?

And he should have had a proper talk with his son about the reasoning behind his actions.

Hehehe, I think he slipped up this time. He's always told him to take it slow because he knows how rushing your improvement can harm you. This time he did the same, he told him not to rush. But, it was as if he forgot what it's like to be a kid. Because although it felt melodramatic when the sad piano music cut in as Goro reasoned Honda hates him, it was something a child can easily reason. They can jump to conclusions and see the world simply like that. His dad retired, didn't tell him he was playing baseball at all, and told him not to join a team Goro saw nothing wrong with. To think, yeah, dad hates baseball and doesn't want me to play because he can't is reasonable. And I think Honda's slip up was too!

As for Honda's irascible nature, I kind of love it. He's a resolved man and the second he thinks things are going wrong, whether it's to the coach who almost hurt his son, or to his son himself he literally can't help but put things in place. Having a father that's like that too I know it can be quite awful to have someone who doesn't see reason and acts a little too quick, but on top of Honda's love for Goro and his more childlike side like his giddiness when he left the Coach's place, or his embarrassment over seeing Hosino, it makes him endearing to me. He's quite the big kid himself in a few ways. I loved how happy he was to get back into the main club! All that said, if he got as heated as he does about something he's wrong about it can be troubling so we'll see if he's perfect or not as we go on. And in retrospect he wasn't so subtle about telling Goro he had to retire and came home drunk that time so I think we have seen the times where his irascible nature didn't turn out great!
Nov 13, 2019 5:26 PM

Sep 2018
Goro is such a cutieee!!!!! He's really persistent ❤ He's very young to play the game.
Feb 24, 2020 5:37 PM

Dec 2019
Good episode, that homerun was epic btw :D
                                                         🖤   

Apr 24, 2020 3:22 AM

Nov 2011
I guess this anime is an example how a melodrama can be good too.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 27, 2020 5:52 PM

Dec 2007
don't know why but this ep have some weird development.
and from some reason the game here wasn't that explained and deep as i except baseball game to be, and have some development issues of it's own, i hope it won't go all the anime like this...
Nov 24, 2020 12:49 PM
Feb 2018
definitely the best episode so far. what a good ending to that episode too
Oct 14, 2021 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
Shame on that coach for accepting Goro while already experienced with his own son the negative effects of training from a too young age. After Goro's little misunderstanding, its awesome seeing Goro so happy witnessing his dad back on the team and hitting a homerun

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 5 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

33 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - May 14, 2009

103 by arcticmontys »»
Feb 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.