Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2018 2:47 AM
Sep 2018
YagaKimi is my favourite romance and one of my favourite anime so I was just wondering why some people don't like the anime.

Edit:

I'm specifically asking for criticism of it that would justify a lower score of from an individual.
DumpsterKingDec 6, 2018 5:07 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 5, 2018 7:27 AM

Jan 2016
So two things, 1 a 7.63 is not that low, and while it might be low compared to what you think of the series, it's hardly the poster child for "horribly underrated". 2, it's still airing, which means that the 1/5 rule hasn't kicked in, so all the people who watched episode 1, dropped it, and gave it a 1/10 are still contributing to the overall score. Once the series ends, the score will likely shoot up a fair bit.

As for why it isn't as highly rated as some others, for starters yuri/shoujo ai anime is comparatively pretty niche, so you are turning away some people right there, and while for me personally it avoids the big thing I hate about the genre, the "assault them until they turn lesbian" trope, it still has moments of questionable consent with Nanami pushing herself onto Yuu a bit hard at points that I'm a little iffy on.

The big one for me though is it just starts kinda slow. Compared to other shows I was watching this season, this one doesn't as much hook you in episode 1 but more slowly hooks you so by about episode 4-5 you're finally fully invested. If you asked me towards the beginning of the season, I would've said this was near the bottom of the shows that I was watching, but by now it's definitely in the top half. And while I don't think it's necessarily bad that it takes a while to get going, it is going to lower it in the eyes of some.

Personally, for a still airing show I think it's score right now is very fair. It'll probably end the season jumping up to about a 7.8 or 7.9 (barring the ending doesn't shit the bed), and while given what you said about it being your favorite romance you probably think that's still to low, I think that's still pretty good. High 7 is generally where "good, but niche" shows like Fune wo Amu, Gakkougurashi, and Hakumei to Mikochi fall, and this seems poised to be another in that vein.
MaskOfIceDec 5, 2018 1:13 PM
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 5, 2018 12:41 PM
Jan 2018
It's most likey becouse people that want to watch it can't as they haven't got the streaming service and don't want to watch it illegally.

Or they don't like yuri romance series in general
Dec 5, 2018 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Extremely flat environments. Pacing too boring. Dropped already!
Dec 5, 2018 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
there are people like me who hate yuri and shoujo ai ;3

Well...
Dec 5, 2018 1:14 PM
Sep 2018
Laciani said:
ok, I find the backgrounds better than average and prefer a slower pace that allows me to slowly grow attached to the characters instead of just expecting me to care. Each to their own though.
Dec 5, 2018 1:17 PM
Sep 2018
Loathsome said:
there are people like me who hate yuri and shoujo ai ;3

I don't like most Yuri either though - I'm in this for the writing. You might be pleasantly surprised by it.
Dec 5, 2018 2:42 PM

Jun 2014
MaskOfIce said:

As for why it isn't as highly rated as some others, for starters yuri/shoujo ai anime is comparatively pretty niche, so you are turning away some people right there

Wasn't citrus pretty popular back in winter though? Do you any idea why that one got so popular and not this one? Just curious since citrus being yuri sure didn't hold people off from watching it.
Dec 5, 2018 3:30 PM

Feb 2015
Thai777 said:
MaskOfIce said:

As for why it isn't as highly rated as some others, for starters yuri/shoujo ai anime is comparatively pretty niche, so you are turning away some people right there

Wasn't citrus pretty popular back in winter though? Do you any idea why that one got so popular and not this one? Just curious since citrus being yuri sure didn't hold people off from watching it.

It was popular because a lot of people talked about it and praised it to be a good series, so a lot of people gave it a chance and were disappointed.
Dec 5, 2018 3:34 PM

Jun 2014
LuckyHarm said:
Thai777 said:

It was popular because a lot of people talked about it and praised it to be a good series, so a lot of people gave it a chance and were disappointed.

I'm surprised this show isn't getting the same treatment, Oh well it was good to know thanks.
Dec 5, 2018 11:04 PM
Sep 2018
Thai777 said:
LuckyHarm said:

I'm surprised this show isn't getting the same treatment, Oh well it was good to know thanks.

There was also a lot more advertisement for it on a business side and it was available on Crunchyroll (I believe) so people are more likely to see it.

I don't really care about how many people are watching it, it's more about the rating.
Dec 6, 2018 3:21 AM

Nov 2009
Protip: Ignore the score rating system on myanimelist. Read the comments or reviews will give you better view on how people think about the show.
Dec 6, 2018 4:02 AM
Sep 2018
papsoshea said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37786/Yagate_Kimi_ni_Naru/stats

I mean, if you care about statistics, you can see by the numbers, a lot of people that do watch it, ended up liking it. It's overall score right now isn't a low rating, things can change when the show finishes.

I'm more interested in the reason people don't like it than the over the statistics.
Dec 6, 2018 4:50 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The manga has, for the most part, a specific kind of reader so its most likely to be liked and have a great ranking. Meanwhile every kind of people gives it a shot when its a seasonal so you have more different opinions mixed in so the score ends up a little bit lower.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 6, 2018 7:42 PM

Nov 2007
Citrus is popular because of that ep.1 kiss scene which is kinda hot...but the whole show is a let down, full of cliche, down right predictable and boring..everyone have boring personalities, i couldnt get invested in any of em.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru is a gem, it's been long time since Candy Boy that we get a really good Yuri anime with interesting and relatable characters (even Saeki is interesting, despite she supposed to be the antagonist of the love interest)...

I couldnt care less about the rating...the fact that i'm looking forward to new episode of this compare to Seishun buta speak a lot on how much i love this show...Hater just gonna hate, there is no reason to dwell on thing that doesnt deter on your enjoyment of the anime
Baron85Dec 6, 2018 7:45 PM
Dec 6, 2018 10:37 PM
Sep 2018
Baronight said:
Citrus is popular because of that ep.1 kiss scene which is kinda hot...but the whole show is a let down, full of cliche, down right predictable and boring..everyone have boring personalities, i couldnt get invested in any of em.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru is a gem, it's been long time since Candy Boy that we get a really good Yuri anime with interesting and relatable characters (even Saeki is interesting, despite she supposed to be the antagonist of the love interest)...

I couldnt care less about the rating...the fact that i'm looking forward to new episode of this compare to Seishun buta speak a lot on how much i love this show...Hater just gonna hate, there is no reason to dwell on thing that doesnt deter on your enjoyment of the anime

It's not bothering me but, I've been curious for a while now and I'd like to know why some people don't like it.
Dec 8, 2018 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
Baronight said:

seishun buta is just Monogatari with Index series science instead of supernatural. I don't know why people love it so much.
Dec 8, 2018 11:32 AM

May 2018
anirudhtsuki said:
Baronight said:

seishun buta is just Monogatari with Index series science instead of supernatural. I don't know why people love it so much.

people love index and monogatari
Dec 8, 2018 12:28 PM
Sep 2018
Wooowooozozosisi said:
THIS ANIME IS MISANDRIST AND IM SO OFFFENDED WAGGGHHHGGGHHH

I know you're probably joking here but where is this anime misandrist?
Dec 9, 2018 5:24 PM

Oct 2007
Baronight said:

Same here. I can't even stomach one episode of Citrus.

Yagate Kimi has been enjoyable from start up to the latest episode.
Dec 9, 2018 5:29 PM

Sep 2017
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. I dropped it at episode 1. It was boring af it took me 1 hr to finish it, slept through it.

I'm not the type that dropped anime easily, but the episode 1....

"The universe was made, just to be seen by my eyes."
Dec 10, 2018 4:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I, personally, think that 7.75 is a tad bit overrated for this show.
Sound Department of the show, the soundtracks, Op and ED, have been glorious and so has the Art/Animation, but sadly the character of Nanami every now and then in particular has been subpar. Side Characters for this show have been a really nice addition though and that’s a great company to have! Slow pacing of the show is also not a problem at all for me, on the contrary I think I like it better this way.

Maybe it’s just because I’m not a fan of Yuri/Yaoi shows, but I seriously fear that this show is slowly but surely heading to a Kuzu no Honkai-like route in terms of the over-the-top complexity of the relationships and such. It’s not wrong for it to be complicated, but it’s getting a little too complicated for its own good y’know. It’s making it really hard for me to invest myself into Nanami, in particular.

Initially, I thought that the blunt and snappy confession there from Nanami was very inconclusive but gradually it made sense little by little. Even now, it doesn’t really provide me with a clear cut reason but I didn’t particularly mind it too much as I was genuinely interested in the progression of the relationship between the main duo which was handled quite exquisitely imo. In particular, I thought the character of Yuu is wonderfully portrayed and one thing the show really excels in is by drawing my attention to Yuu’s worries. As such, I don’t mind the pacing for this show to be slow as it really uses the time brilliantly to make me empathise with the character of Yuu.

However, I absolutely cannot stand Nanami for some reason. Initially, I kept asking myself whether she’s just trying to take advantage of Yuu’s kindness and lamented to myself when she’d finally stop and be a bit more sincere as her Senpai. By the time the show reached Episode 3 or so, though, I wasn’t too bothered by that anymore as the progression of the relationship started to grow on me but from episode 6 onwards, it just brings forth yet another issue. It’s funny how she expects Yuu to not fall for her even though she’s clearly crossing the boundaries(to which she herself is aware of, as shown in episode 7) and remain the same static character and such, even though Yuu’s objective is the exact opposite! I don’t know really know how to explain this but something is always dragging this show down, of sorts.

I’m glad the elder sister of Nanami part was dealt with immediately though, as I was sure there’d be more drama starting from there. Sayaka’s episode, in other words Episode 7, is all I have watched thus far and I hope this section is over too in this episode. I just got to wonder how she’ll react once she finds out the truth, though. It’s going to be really depressing, for sure.

All in all, it’s been a good show for me thus far but it really did have and possibly still does a lot of potential to be a lot better. Maybe that’s why this show has been in my mind for a whole day now.
It could very possibly become better with a lot more clarification in the upcoming episodes so I’m looking forward to seeing that!
_MushiRock11_Dec 10, 2018 8:45 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 10, 2018 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
If I was to be very blunt with my thought. I'd say this. It deserves 7. Why? It's not because of the plot, in fact the plot is quite different and niche from other shows. The plot is somewhat interesting and is a good base for a lesbian show. Why do I think it deserves 7? The development of the story is flat. Literally, there's no real significant development that has well written dialogue. When you want to make a romance, DIALOGUE is key. Dialogue is the medium through which emotions are conveyed in a manga and in a show. You need to understand dialogue and in Bloom Into You, it just isn't well written. Then you have characters, the characters are a huge problem. They lack thorough backstory.

Why is backstory a problem? Imagine this, there are two people, one person you know, you know their life and alot about them. Then you have the other person who you barely know anything about. You'd obviously want to get to know the person you barely know anything about, but you can't SYMPATHIZE with that specific individual.

That's something the author didn't understand. We were given Nanami who just seems blunt too perfect and is going around with her act of perfect student. Then we have Yuu, we barely know anything about her past except that she once received a proposal and that she can understand how love feels through shoujo manga and love songs.

You have to give more back detail than that, if you aren't able to do that, you have to develop them throughout the story. This is why MY HERO ACADEMIA does well without giving too much backstory to each of the characters. The show just gives what is needed and allows the characters to develop at their own pace to the point where you even start to sympathize with the asshole Bakugo. It's the journey.

Bloom Into You lacks any of that. The idea had a lot of potential, but it's bad execution that drags it down. The author tried to be niche, that's a good thing. But it's only good for a story if you know how to make it niche. That's why a show like Bunny Girl Senpai and Sakurasou does and did well respectively. They completely lack cliches, but they do well cause the author understood the flow of the story. Bloom Into You lacks that.

Then you have the dialogue. It's not well written. I've read a lot of novels and read a lot of scripts and I know when I see good and thought out dialogue. In fact, Bunny Girl Senpai is completely dialogue if you think about. There's absolutely no melodrama and no expressiveness in the art. It's plain realistic and it does it's job with it's outstanding dialogue. It'll get you hooked. While in Bloom Into You the dialogue is just thoughtless and lacks structure.

"Because if no one recognizes you, it's the same as not existing in this world." - Bunny Girl Senpai

That's well written dialogue. And the thing is, good shows are written with quality dialogue like that throughout their entirety. I couldn't even find a single quote like that from Bloom Into You. It honestly had so much potential but didn't hit the mark.
removed-userDec 10, 2018 7:35 PM
Dec 10, 2018 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
The manga is one of my favorite romance stories in the history of ever, and I can't say the anime disappointing. I don't see myself giving it anything less than an 8 but that said, there are a few shows on here I would love to see given at least an average of 7. To average almost 8 is actually pretty impressive on this site. Most shows generally accepted to be good get a 6-7 average and anything reaching 8 tends to be the sort of show lots and lots of people would easily recommend.

I mean sure, the manga got a solid 10 from me and I can't say the anime is reaching quite that level but... I'm a huge yuri fangirl and I can assure you, this anime is more well received than many others from the genre. It might not be many people's favorite anime ever, but I'd be glad the general consensus is that it's pretty good. I guess I can see a few reasons one might actively dislike the series. But the main things would be if they didn't like the characters or just generally weren't a fan of yuri. Its a character driven story, and if you can't get behind the people then you probably won't like it.
removed-userDec 10, 2018 7:54 PM
Dec 11, 2018 10:28 AM

Jan 2018
This is the website that has Future Diary in the top 20. MAL ratings are not to be taken seriously.
Tsunshine-ChrisDec 11, 2018 10:34 AM
Dec 11, 2018 10:48 AM

Oct 2018
This anime has a ridiculously slow pacing. I'm planning on watching it later, but atm it's dropped just because I can't force myself to watch it with better shows to watch

i'm a worm
Dec 11, 2018 11:43 AM
Aug 2018
I think it should be lower, 7.63 is way too high for shit like this. Hell Citrus should be even lower too.
Dec 11, 2018 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
lzuma said:
This anime has a ridiculously slow pacing. I'm planning on watching it later, but atm it's dropped just because I can't force myself to watch it with better shows to watch

Tbh I'm kinda glad they aren't rushing it. I mean, it's totally valid not to like the pacing, and I can see how it might bother someone. There are a couple scenes in the manga I'm kinda bummed they won't be getting to, but I also prefer they don't try too hard to get through all the source material. Then again, the manga is one of my favorites, so maybe I'm a bit bias.
Dec 12, 2018 12:56 AM

Mar 2013
Grandassassin said:
I think it should be lower, 7.63 is way too high for shit like this. Hell Citrus should be even lower too.
You sounds like a person that shouldn't even be visiting this part of the forum.

lzuma said:
Too fast pacing =Slow it down!

Slow pacing = Hurry it up!

Anime community in a nutshell when it comes to pacing. Rarely there was any middle ground. The anime tries to developed the characters and yet got shot down for being too slow. What do people like you even want, an asteroid to suddenly come down into the city where Yuu and Touko lives?
Arisa_LucifiriaDec 15, 2018 3:30 PM
Dec 12, 2018 1:42 AM

Apr 2012
I see what I have already seen a lot of times - it is much more interesting for people to watch regular baiting and fan service than to observe a truly open image of lesbian relations and a good romantic plot.

Because people are much more interested in shiping and ship material than in any open romance.

However, remembering the situation with Comic girls, it is possible that not all the watchers have put their ratings and we just have to wait for the end of the broadcast.
Dec 12, 2018 6:17 AM

Oct 2018
Aidyr said:

Tbh I'm kinda glad they aren't rushing it.

After rereading what I originally said I sounded far too harsh. It wasn't that I disliked the anime so far, it's just that it was too slow for me to continue at least until i finish some of the other anime that I'm also currently watching.

I can understand that bias, if it is one of your favorite mangas, dw about it lol

i'm a worm
Dec 12, 2018 7:50 AM
Aug 2018
Afezeria said:
Grandassassin said:
You sounds like a retard that shouldn't even be visiting this part of the forum.

lzuma said:
Too fast pacing =Slow the fuck down!

Slow pacing = Hurry it up, you bitch!

Anime community in a nutshell when it comes to pacing. Rarely there was any middle ground. The anime tries to developed the characters and yet got shot down for being too slow. What do people like you even want, a fucking asteroids to suddenly come down into the city where Yuu and Touko lives?
Nope Im addressing my opinion, I can say whatever the Hell I want, if you dont like what I say then Fuck off and ignore it.
Dec 12, 2018 8:21 AM
Sep 2018
Grandassassin said:
Afezeria said:
You sounds like a retard that shouldn't even be visiting this part of the forum.

Too fast pacing =Slow the fuck down!

Slow pacing = Hurry it up, you bitch!

Anime community in a nutshell when it comes to pacing. Rarely there was any middle ground. The anime tries to developed the characters and yet got shot down for being too slow. What do people like you even want, fucking asteroids to suddenly come down into the city where Yuu and Touko lives?
Nope, I'm addressing my opinion, I can say whatever the Hell I want if you dont like what I say then Fuck off and ignore it.

Insulting an anime without any reasoning behind why you dislike it doesn't promote discussion and is almost guaranteed to annoy someone. That being said, why don't you like it?
Dec 12, 2018 8:45 AM
Aug 2018
DumpsterKing said:
Grandassassin said:
Nope, I'm addressing my opinion, I can say whatever the Hell I want if you dont like what I say then Fuck off and ignore it.

Insulting an anime without any reasoning behind why you dislike it doesn't promote discussion and is almost guaranteed to annoy someone. That being said, why don't you like it?
I don’t like it because, If you actually seen my opinion on Shoujo Ai, is because most I’ve seen are forced romance. I don’t have anything against you liking it, I just don’t like anything that’s being portrayed as a fetishization Which 90% (I’ve seen) of Shoujo Ai or any romance in general has that forced romance/fetishization problem. Now just because I don’t like Shoujo ai/Yuri doesn’t mean I don’t have a series that I like, I absolutely love Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne even though it’s not about two girls falling in love and more of a mature and sexual portrayal of lesbianism, to me It has a purpose to the story and it ties together with the plot, and not just there for “diversity” or to have a plot of same-sex attraction. So take however you want about my reasoning, I don’t have anything against homosexuality, it is just how it’s portrayed.
Dec 12, 2018 8:49 AM

Jan 2016
because it's yuri
Dec 12, 2018 10:03 AM
Sep 2018
Grandassassin said:
DumpsterKing said:

I don’t like it because, If you actually saw my opinion on Shoujo Ai, is because most I’ve seen are forced romance. I don’t have anything against you liking it, I just don’t like anything that’s being portrayed as a fetishization Which 90% (I’ve seen) of Shoujo Ai or any romance, in general, has that forced romance/fetishization problem. Now just because I don’t like Shoujo-ai/Yuri doesn’t mean I don’t have a series that I like, I absolutely love Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne even though it’s not about two girls falling in love and more of a mature and sexual portrayal of lesbianism, to me It has a purpose to the story and it ties together with the plot, and not just there for “diversity” or to have a plot of same-sex attraction. So take however you want about my reasoning, I don’t have anything against homosexuality, it is just how it’s portrayed.

Well, as someone who stumbled upon the manga when looking for fetishized stories, I can say this is completely different from most romances in general with the complexity of its characters, choice of framing and atmosphere. It's not on your list, so please give it's tr before judging.
Dec 12, 2018 10:27 AM
Aug 2018
DumpsterKing said:
Grandassassin said:
I don’t like it because, If you actually saw my opinion on Shoujo Ai, is because most I’ve seen are forced romance. I don’t have anything against you liking it, I just don’t like anything that’s being portrayed as a fetishization Which 90% (I’ve seen) of Shoujo Ai or any romance, in general, has that forced romance/fetishization problem. Now just because I don’t like Shoujo-ai/Yuri doesn’t mean I don’t have a series that I like, I absolutely love Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne even though it’s not about two girls falling in love and more of a mature and sexual portrayal of lesbianism, to me It has a purpose to the story and it ties together with the plot, and not just there for “diversity” or to have a plot of same-sex attraction. So take however you want about my reasoning, I don’t have anything against homosexuality, it is just how it’s portrayed.

Well, as someone who stumbled upon the manga when looking for fetishized stories, I can say this is completely different from most romances in general with the complexity of its characters, choice of framing and atmosphere. It's not on your list, so please give it's tr before judging.
I don’t have it on my list because I’m avoiding it, I’ve seen few videos of it and imo it’s like everything else I’ve seen, but I’ll admit it’s characters aren’t too bad but not enough where I want to watch it.
Dec 12, 2018 11:40 AM

Jun 2014
Grandassassin said:

I don’t like it because, If you actually seen my opinion on Shoujo Ai, is because most I’ve seen are forced romance. I don’t have anything against you liking it, I just don’t like anything that’s being portrayed as a fetishization Which 90% (I’ve seen) of Shoujo Ai or any romance in general has that forced romance/fetishization problem. Now just because I don’t like Shoujo ai/Yuri doesn’t mean I don’t have a series that I like, I absolutely love Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne even though it’s not about two girls falling in love and more of a mature and sexual portrayal of lesbianism, to me It has a purpose to the story and it ties together with the plot, and not just there for “diversity” or to have a plot of same-sex attraction. So take however you want about my reasoning, I don’t have anything against homosexuality, it is just how it’s portrayed.

I don’t have it on my list because I’m avoiding it, I’ve seen few videos of it and imo it’s like everything else I’ve seen, but I’ll admit it’s characters aren’t too bad but not enough where I want to watch it.

I think it's a little conceited of you to say it is overrated when you have just seen some video of it and not the anime itself, you're just basing your opinion of the anime from some clip and your preconceived bias against yuri that other anime shaped into you.

Now for the anime itself, I can say that it is not a fetishization of lesbianism, the show is more a romance that happens to deal with two girls falling in love than it being about just lesbian.

Granted there are some episode that focus more on that part of the show it is not the "core" itself. The anime is more about the emotion and the unique relationship about the two main characters. So you shouldn't have a problem about that unless it's not the type of show you like to watch which is perfectly fine.

As for the forced romance aspect I don't know what you mean by it exactly, I would need clarification on that part.
Dec 12, 2018 3:39 PM

Sep 2018
ABDoesThings said:
If I was to be very blunt with my thought. I'd say this. It deserves 7. Why? It's not because of the plot, in fact the plot is quite different and niche from other shows. The plot is somewhat interesting and is a good base for a lesbian show. Why do I think it deserves 7? The development of the story is flat. Literally, there's no real significant development that has well written dialogue. When you want to make a romance, DIALOGUE is key. Dialogue is the medium through which emotions are conveyed in a manga and in a show. You need to understand dialogue and in Bloom Into You, it just isn't well written. Then you have characters, the characters are a huge problem. They lack thorough backstory.

Why is backstory a problem? Imagine this, there are two people, one person you know, you know their life and alot about them. Then you have the other person who you barely know anything about. You'd obviously want to get to know the person you barely know anything about, but you can't SYMPATHIZE with that specific individual.

That's something the author didn't understand. We were given Nanami who just seems blunt too perfect and is going around with her act of perfect student. Then we have Yuu, we barely know anything about her past except that she once received a proposal and that she can understand how love feels through shoujo manga and love songs.

You have to give more back detail than that, if you aren't able to do that, you have to develop them throughout the story. This is why MY HERO ACADEMIA does well without giving too much backstory to each of the characters. The show just gives what is needed and allows the characters to develop at their own pace to the point where you even start to sympathize with the asshole Bakugo. It's the journey.

Bloom Into You lacks any of that. The idea had a lot of potential, but it's bad execution that drags it down. The author tried to be niche, that's a good thing. But it's only good for a story if you know how to make it niche. That's why a show like Bunny Girl Senpai and Sakurasou does and did well respectively. They completely lack cliches, but they do well cause the author understood the flow of the story. Bloom Into You lacks that.

Then you have the dialogue. It's not well written. I've read a lot of novels and read a lot of scripts and I know when I see good and thought out dialogue. In fact, Bunny Girl Senpai is completely dialogue if you think about. There's absolutely no melodrama and no expressiveness in the art. It's plain realistic and it does it's job with it's outstanding dialogue. It'll get you hooked. While in Bloom Into You the dialogue is just thoughtless and lacks structure.

"Because if no one recognizes you, it's the same as not existing in this world." - Bunny Girl Senpai

That's well written dialogue. And the thing is, good shows are written with quality dialogue like that throughout their entirety. I couldn't even find a single quote like that from Bloom Into You. It honestly had so much potential but didn't hit the mark.

Hey uh... just a reminder that real people don't actually speak quotes in their everyday life, and in cases where they do, they'll just make every conversation awkward. If every time I talk to someone they reply with a quotable line, then I would probably start avoiding them real quick. Bloom's dialogue conveys what someone thinks, and with that it manages to feel natural and organic. The dialogues are structured well enough that it feels like a realistic piece, but still has substance within. I also don't think you need the background of a character to like a character, the small amount of details we get on Yuu's past contribute more than enough towards building her character. This even plays towards the school play they're preparing.

Maybe you're just looking for a different style of writing than what this show has to offer. I will defend almost any negative comments towards Nakatani's writing on this series, but tastes do differ and you're not being aggressive, so maybe it just isn't for you.
Dec 12, 2018 11:42 PM
Sep 2018
ABDoesThings said:
If I was to be very blunt with my thought. I'd say this. It deserves 7. Why? It's not because of the plot, in fact, the plot is quite different and niche from other shows. The plot is somewhat interesting and is a good base for a lesbian show. Why do I think it deserves 7? The development of the story is flat. Literally, there's no real significant development that has well-written dialogue. When you want to make a romance, DIALOGUE is key. Dialogue is the medium through which emotions are conveyed in a manga and in a show. You need to understand dialogue and in Bloom Into You, it just isn't well written. Then you have characters, the characters are a huge problem. They lack thorough backstory.

Why is backstory a problem? Imagine this, there are two people, one person you know, you know their life and a lot about them. Then you have the other person who you barely know anything about. You'd obviously want to get to know the person you barely know anything about, but you can't SYMPATHIZE with that specific individual.

You have to give more back detail than that, if you aren't able to do that, you have to develop them throughout the story. This is why MY HERO ACADEMIA does well without giving too much backstory to each of the characters. The show just gives what is needed and allows the characters to develop at their own pace to the point where you even start to sympathize with the asshole Bakugan. It's the journey.

Bloom Into You lacks any of that. The idea had a lot of potentials, but it's bad execution that drags it down. The author tried to be niche, that's a good thing. But it's only good for a story if you know how to make it niche. That's why a show like Bunny Girl Senpai and Sakurasou does and did well respectively. They completely lack cliches, but they do well cause the author understood the flow of the story. Bloom Into You lacks that.

Then you have the dialogue. It's not well written. I've read a lot of novels and read a lot of scripts and I know when I see good and thought out the dialogue. In fact, Bunny Girl Senpai is completely dialogued if you think about. There's absolutely no melodrama and no expressiveness in the art. It's plain realistic and it does its job with its outstanding dialogue. It'll get you hooked. While in Bloom Into You the dialogue is just thoughtless and lacks structure.

That's well-written dialogue. And the thing is, good shows are written with quality dialogue like that throughout their entirety. I couldn't even find a single quote like that from Bloom Into You. It honestly had so much potential but didn't hit the mark.

Funnily enough, you just listed three shows that I think are badly written. Sakurasou hit literally all the cliches in the first episode, only with slightly funnier dialogue so I dropped it. Bunny Girl has dialogue that fails to feel genuine through VA delivery most of the time and quotes like "because if no one recognizes you, it's the same as not existing in this world" come off as cheap to me, as someone said above quotes aren't good dialogue. My Hero Academia suffers from trying to make me care about characters I'm not invested in and doesn't do enough to invest me in them. For instance, the first episode was enough to get me invested in Deku because of the emotional weight those scenes carried but, by the hero licence exams, I stopped caring because I realised how bad of a character Deku is - he has made no real progress to becoming a better hero, apart from becoming stronger because he was already perfect for the job. Then I started thinking of other ways MHA fails in its writing and that was enough for me to stop watching.

Addressing your criticism of Bloom, while I agree that backstory helps you understand a character, having the reasoning for the main characters explained is a superior substitute. It doesn't matter if I dont know much about their pasts - most of which is irrelevant anyway as all the important details are explained - if I know how they think. Being privy to the mental reasoning of a character is a much more intimate experience than knowing their past for me.

Finally, you also managed to completely disregard every other level of production. The way Bloom is directed says a lot about its characters, the way it's animated says a lot about the characters, the VA's add a lot of depth to the characters, the music assists in setting the tone for scenes and when you put those things together, you get a scene like in episode 6 that is significantly more impactful than just some one-liner.
Dec 13, 2018 5:11 PM
Oct 2018
If shitty animes can reach pass the >8 score and Bloom into You doesnt reach it by the end of the show, it just proves how shitty MAL community is. Take a look at how they fkin rated Gridman
Dec 13, 2018 5:54 PM

Mar 2013
xscetia23 said:
Gridman got you know what's up that everyone loves and enjoyed dearly, of course it's way up there, plus het shipping. Also, set to sell at least 10k BD units at Japan. Lesbians couldn't pandered to your average viewer, much less a serious work like YagaKimi.
Arisa_LucifiriaDec 15, 2018 3:31 PM
Dec 14, 2018 3:08 AM

Oct 2010
Afezeria said:
xscetia23 said:
Gridman got boobies and pussies that everyone loves and enjoyed dearly, of course it's way up there, plus het shipping. Also, set to sell at least 10k BD units at Japan. Lesbians couldn't pandered to your average viewer, much less a serious work like YagaKimi.

Gridman's rating is lower, though, I think @xscetia23 meant the average rating of MAL. The way it looks, I think YagaKimi would get around 8 (I think it will be >8 but I'm not 100% sure) by the end and Gridman will stay in the 7.5 zone, both of which are good and above average for seasonals.
Dec 14, 2018 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
DumpsterKing said:
ABDoesThings said:
If I was to be very blunt with my thought. I'd say this. It deserves 7. Why? It's not because of the plot, in fact, the plot is quite different and niche from other shows. The plot is somewhat interesting and is a good base for a lesbian show. Why do I think it deserves 7? The development of the story is flat. Literally, there's no real significant development that has well-written dialogue. When you want to make a romance, DIALOGUE is key. Dialogue is the medium through which emotions are conveyed in a manga and in a show. You need to understand dialogue and in Bloom Into You, it just isn't well written. Then you have characters, the characters are a huge problem. They lack thorough backstory.

Why is backstory a problem? Imagine this, there are two people, one person you know, you know their life and a lot about them. Then you have the other person who you barely know anything about. You'd obviously want to get to know the person you barely know anything about, but you can't SYMPATHIZE with that specific individual.

You have to give more back detail than that, if you aren't able to do that, you have to develop them throughout the story. This is why MY HERO ACADEMIA does well without giving too much backstory to each of the characters. The show just gives what is needed and allows the characters to develop at their own pace to the point where you even start to sympathize with the asshole Bakugan. It's the journey.

Bloom Into You lacks any of that. The idea had a lot of potentials, but it's bad execution that drags it down. The author tried to be niche, that's a good thing. But it's only good for a story if you know how to make it niche. That's why a show like Bunny Girl Senpai and Sakurasou does and did well respectively. They completely lack cliches, but they do well cause the author understood the flow of the story. Bloom Into You lacks that.

Then you have the dialogue. It's not well written. I've read a lot of novels and read a lot of scripts and I know when I see good and thought out the dialogue. In fact, Bunny Girl Senpai is completely dialogued if you think about. There's absolutely no melodrama and no expressiveness in the art. It's plain realistic and it does its job with its outstanding dialogue. It'll get you hooked. While in Bloom Into You the dialogue is just thoughtless and lacks structure.

That's well-written dialogue. And the thing is, good shows are written with quality dialogue like that throughout their entirety. I couldn't even find a single quote like that from Bloom Into You. It honestly had so much potential but didn't hit the mark.

Funnily enough, you just listed three shows that I think are badly written. Sakurasou hit literally all the cliches in the first episode, only with slightly funnier dialogue so I dropped it. Bunny Girl has dialogue that fails to feel genuine through VA delivery most of the time and quotes like "because if no one recognizes you, it's the same as not existing in this world" come off as cheap to me, as someone said above quotes aren't good dialogue. My Hero Academia suffers from trying to make me care about characters I'm not invested in and doesn't do enough to invest me in them. For instance, the first episode was enough to get me invested in Deku because of the emotional weight those scenes carried but, by the hero licence exams, I stopped caring because I realised how bad of a character Deku is - he has made no real progress to becoming a better hero, apart from becoming stronger because he was already perfect for the job. Then I started thinking of other ways MHA fails in its writing and that was enough for me to stop watching.

Addressing your criticism of Bloom, while I agree that backstory helps you understand a character, having the reasoning for the main characters explained is a superior substitute. It doesn't matter if I dont know much about their pasts - most of which is irrelevant anyway as all the important details are explained - if I know how they think. Being privy to the mental reasoning of a character is a much more intimate experience than knowing their past for me.

Finally, you also managed to completely disregard every other level of production. The way Bloom is directed says a lot about its characters, the way it's animated says a lot about the characters, the VA's add a lot of depth to the characters, the music assists in setting the tone for scenes and when you put those things together, you get a scene like in episode 6 that is significantly more impactful than just some one-liner.

Well, perhaps your tastes are different. But there are reasons why those shows have such higher ratings. Perhaps your tastes deter from the general direction of the public.
Dec 14, 2018 10:58 PM

Jul 2016
Yagate is meh its not romance by any means its just there to cuddle the yuri fans and people like you. From someone trying to question how is this have a low rating proves how cancerous this show it is. Sorry for my english xddd

Dec 15, 2018 12:18 AM

Mar 2013
chriskor022 said:
Ironic calling the show as cancerous when you're typing just like those comments you'd see often on YouTube. You don't sounds like you're watching it either, much like that Grandassasin guy.
Dec 15, 2018 12:27 AM
May 2014
Laciani said:

What do you expect? Michael Bay explosions?
Dec 15, 2018 12:59 AM

Mar 2013
GweAnakJakarta said:
By that extremely flat environment criticism, he's probably making a remark on how all the girls in the show doesn't have large breast and seems way too realistic, which doesn't tuned in with his preference. And regarding the so called pacing issues, like I said earlier, they're begging for that asteroid to fall into the city, thinking that action is a hidden genre for YagaKimi, eventhough it's supposed to be, you know, a show that focused on character's finding their identity and objectives in their particular environment.
Dec 15, 2018 1:47 AM

Jul 2016
Yuri fans im just stating my opinion. Ironically you just triggered by my comment and i watch 3episodes ,and the show is slow so i on hold it.

Dec 15, 2018 1:59 AM
Oct 2018
Afezeria said:
GweAnakJakarta said:
By that extremely flat environment criticism, he's probably making a remark on how all the girls in the show doesn't have large breast and seems way too realistic, which doesn't tuned in with his preference. And regarding the so called pacing issues, like I said earlier, they're begging for that asteroid to fall into the city, thinking that action is a hidden genre for YagaKimi, eventhough it's supposed to be, you know, a show that focused on character's finding their identity and objectives in their particular environment.

maybe he just want his daily does of big tiddies typical ecchi + harem with no story or character development at all
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2018

199 by Worsethansoap »»
Mar 24, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2018

246 by rieeya »»
Feb 28, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2018

89 by CeliaOffcial »»
Jan 22, 3:05 AM

» anime or manga

kotosugu - Oct 12, 2023

17 by Atsunome »»
Jan 10, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2018

111 by Kimsowon2000 »»
Jan 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.