Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2018 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
Simply put, give titles that you feel treated you like a baboon, and I don't mean the Lion King one, who is actually smart. The actual filthy animal! And give the reasons why you think those anime belittle your intelligence!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 10, 2018 2:50 PM

Oct 2014
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.
LunilahDec 10, 2018 2:57 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Dec 10, 2018 2:52 PM

May 2013
I haven't had one anime that insulted me or treated me like a baboon. I wish it did. Can anime even talk back at you if you throw a tub of water at it? or shout "iyah! senpaii dame~~"

I would like more interaction out of it. /s

If you are talking about a waste of time when it comes to unfolding of plot and the drama, just take any battle shounen OR my personal favourite : Big Order. One of the best story telling experiences in my opinion. The manga is even better.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 10, 2018 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.

Yeah, or like in Kaiji. I find that level of spoonfeeding kinda comical, but oh well. Sad part was, that HxH wasn't like that, up until the Chimera Ant Arc.
Dec 10, 2018 3:07 PM

Apr 2016
Fairy Tail, Natsu punching space time and magic with his nakama punch is my favorite.
Dec 10, 2018 3:09 PM

May 2017
Every shounen anime when they stop the fight to explain how their powers work.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Dec 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
RetroBite said:
Lunilah said:

Yeah, or like in Kaiji. I find that level of spoonfeeding kinda comical, but oh well. Sad part was, that HxH wasn't like that, up until the Chimera Ant Arc.
Yeah, i would have rated it much higher without that arc. It had such an impact on my scoring because it was a 3rd of the anime, the longest arc of the series so far. It's not a terrible anime, but it has glaring issues.

Dec 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Mar 2017
@RetroBite @Lunilah I kinda liked the super obvious narration. To me it felt like somebody was reading me a book. I thought it was a unique touch to the show, and that it put emphasis on certain scenes.

To answer the original question though, I felt like Gargantia and Samurai Flamenco totally thought that I was retarded
Dec 10, 2018 3:12 PM

Mar 2016
Heavy Object had an MC obviously intended as an audience surrogate that was so amazingly pathetic, I was both offended and disgusted by the idea that anybody was intended to identify with him.
Dec 10, 2018 3:13 PM

Oct 2014
N30-R3TR0 said:
@RetroBite @Lunilah I kinda liked the super obvious narration. To me it felt like somebody was reading me a book. I thought it was a unique touch to the show, and that it put emphasis on certain scenes.

To answer the original question though, I felt like Gargantia and Samurai Flamenco totally thought that I was retarded
Someone made a point like that in another one of these threads, how some things from manga really doesn't translate to an anime adaptation, specifically authors notes and thinly stretched dialogue.

Dec 10, 2018 3:16 PM

Jan 2015
fuck, i usually forget negative things. OP hit right in the heart, i definitely had those feelings before lol.

(maybe i'll think of something and post something later :v)
Dec 10, 2018 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
Monogatari and Jojo, especially their fandoms
Dec 10, 2018 3:25 PM

Oct 2014
HeroicIdealism said:
Haven't seen the Gatari franchise yet, but for Jojos, that's kinda the point. As i stated with my HxH 2011 post, they did it in an unironic Jojos style. Jojos doesn't get extra points for being an ironic parody of itself, but it excuses the insult in my opinion.

Dec 10, 2018 3:28 PM

Feb 2015
Any anime with battle scenes in which the characters are explaining what their skills do. Unless there are some hidden effects, everything an ability does can be clearly seen and understood so it's really annoying when character says what just happened / is about to happen / is happening, like I don't own a pair of working eyes and a functioning brain.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 10, 2018 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HeroicIdealism said:
Haven't seen the Gatari franchise yet, but for Jojos, that's kinda the point. As i stated with my HxH 2011 post, they did it in an unironic Jojos style. Jojos doesn't get extra points for being an ironic parody of itself, but it excuses the insult in my opinion.

I agree that that is the point, and it's why I don't like it.
Dec 10, 2018 3:39 PM

Dec 2016
Kill la kill, I like the anime but...

Spoilers ahead

>Ryuko cuts hers "clothes" and use it to cover Sanageyma eyes.

>Sanageyma keep talking that he can't see shit with it in his eyes.

>Seketsu explain the plane to no one just because.

Some times a little explanation is needed, other times the explanation can be silly fun but there are so many of these shit moment's in the first 12 eps ...
N04L1TYDec 10, 2018 3:44 PM
heh.
Dec 10, 2018 3:39 PM

Mar 2017
Lunilah said:
N30-R3TR0 said:

Someone made a point like that in another one of these threads, how some things from manga really doesn't translate to an anime adaptation, specifically authors notes and thinly stretched dialogue.

That is true. I still liked the narration in HxH regardless. 8/10 from me. Thought of another anime: Elfin Lied. Like you expect me to believe that people would be so dumb to take retarded naked woman with horns to their house and not call the cops? bruv c'mon
Dec 10, 2018 3:41 PM

Oct 2010
The bird metaphors in the early episodes of Darling in the FranXX were a quite direct offense.

Actually stretch that to every visual metaphor in the series.
Dec 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Oct 2014
N30-R3TR0 said:
Lunilah said:

That is true. I still liked the narration in HxH regardless. 8/10 from me. Thought of another anime: Elfin Lied. Like you expect me to believe that people would be so dumb to take retarded naked woman with horns to their house and not call the cops? bruv c'mon
Don't even get me started on premises, A Certain Scientific Railgun is expecting me to believe elementary students can be interns on police authority out in the world, and in middle school have full authority yourself as a public servant for peace and order.

Dec 10, 2018 3:43 PM

Apr 2015
Jojo is dumb enough to insult humanity
Dec 10, 2018 3:57 PM

Dec 2016
jal90 said:
The bird metaphors in the early episodes of Darling in the FranXX were a quite direct offense.

Can we take a minute to talk about the fact that they (kids) are called by the names of flowers sexual organs? Was there anything in those robots that wasn't sexual? Or the kiss between their city's? Why those adults have to call every time using some sexual innuendo?

Oh, the bird metaphor reach the last episode too, just in case that you have saved your self from watching it :3
N04L1TYDec 10, 2018 4:15 PM
heh.
Dec 10, 2018 4:01 PM

Aug 2016
Can´t tell. How am I supposed to feel insulted because of a content! If the anime does something stupid, then the author is stupid, not me. I just can´t take it that personal.
:v
Dec 10, 2018 4:33 PM

Oct 2010
Bob-o-Dominador said:
jal90 said:

Can we take a minute to talk about the fact that they (kids) are called by the names of flowers sexual organs? Was there anything in those robots that wasn't sexual? Or the kiss between their city's? Why those adults have to call every time using some sexual innuendo?

Oh, the bird metaphor reach the last episode too, just in case that you have saved your self from watching it :3

Oh, but I did :(

And yep, the metaphor reached the last episode too, but it managed to not be the most infuriating part of that finale so I didn't pay much attention.
Dec 10, 2018 4:37 PM

Nov 2018
SAO when Kirito broke free just like that from never-ending paralysis by Kayaba in game. Come on.
Dec 10, 2018 5:20 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Gamers! is insulting to true gamers. Paints gamers as a bunch of virgin dweebs interested in playing together. WE ARE NORMAL PEOPLE interested in the game WE LIKE AND WANT, NOT playing together some random game.

I gave that shit a 1/10
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 10, 2018 5:24 PM

Dec 2013
"People die if they are killed."

The VN is even worse.
Dec 10, 2018 5:26 PM
Jan 2018
SAO.
Clearly a 14 year-old wrote this fanfic.
It sits you down to watch multiple 10 minute long (or longer) scenes with characters explaining the most basic plot, explaining the thing that was shown already, or even explaining the most basic things that only a baby wouldn't know.
"If you are low level you can only do simple spells, but if you are high level you can do more complicated spells". Actual quote from Season 3 Episode 7 (maybe I got it wrong).
TodAboTDec 10, 2018 5:32 PM
Dec 10, 2018 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
Fate/Stay Night UBW. Constantly alternates between light hearted slice of life antics to bullshit Shonen asspulls to "deep" philosophical conversations.
Dec 10, 2018 5:36 PM
Jan 2018
MichaelJackson said:
Can´t tell. How am I supposed to feel insulted because of a content! If the anime does something stupid, then the author is stupid, not me. I just can´t take it that personal.

Insult your intelligence, not you.
In other words, "Anime that treat you like an idiot".
Dec 10, 2018 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
TodAboT said:
MichaelJackson said:

Insult your intelligence, not you.
In other words, "Anime that treat you like an idiot".

................. potatoes, potatos
:v
Dec 10, 2018 6:59 PM
May 2016
bunny girl senpai is definitely one of the more insulting shows i've watched. i can understand that it's trying to say that high school is difficult, and that you only need to be yourself, i don't need it shoved down my throat every few minutes, i figured it out myself already... it's way too blatant with what it's attempting to convey
Dec 10, 2018 7:08 PM

Aug 2017
-3D Kanojo: Real Girl was the worst romcom anime that i've ever seen in my life. The characters are terrible and the animation made things even worse. The level of cringiness is over the place. What's the worst of it? It will have a second season in 2019 LMAO. An anti-otaku show.

-Gamers! is similar to 3D Kanojo but here is just an anti-gamer show. Also the animation is better but is still shit in everything else.

-Darling in the FranXX. Those random metaphors are too pretentious.

-Fairy Tail. The whole show insults my intelligence.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 11, 2018 1:32 AM
Jul 2018
anime that tries to be smart, but is dumb instead.

Stuff like Death Note, Classroom of the Elite, etc.

monologues are the worst.
Dec 11, 2018 1:38 AM

Jan 2015
bnha and fate stay night all 3 routes are so garbage that i feel insulted these were even animated
Dec 11, 2018 1:40 AM

Jan 2018
Idk about this.I'm so dumb that no anime can insult my inteliligence
Dec 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know exactly why but in many shows, they have the need to explain everything. When a character doesn't show his true intention after a misunderstood, someones says in hid mind "You did it because....,don't you?". Or they explain a power, an ability, a strategy, a purpose in the middle of fight... I get it! Don't always hold my hand!

Now, I'm gonna repeat myself but I still believe Gurren Lagann insulted me the most.

Like many battle shonens, It uses the "Never give up!" or "Believe in yourself!" message. Indeed, It's well intentioned, but the problem I have with it is the protagonists are kinda blessed by some divinity of luck. Chosen ones, legacies, power of friendship,...where is the point of hard-working if they have some ressources they make them already special? In TTGL, It goes further. The all universe is run by the Rule of Cool. Anyone making an awesome, cool or "badass" (god I hate that word) move will be rewarded by godlike powers. And the first antagonists, Beastmen, don't have this ability. That means they're screwed since the beginning.

The chauvinist aspect is horrible too. Humans are the coolest. We deserve to lead all the Creation. We're definition of good but if anyone who stand in our way, they deserve to burn in hell forever,...
And with a "prophet" like this jerkass of Kamina, It gives the message a such obnoxious taste.

And finally, the message is too extrem for his good. I get it, going foward is better than standing in the same situation (sometimes), but here, anyone who doesn't follow this idea is viewed as a coward and an ennemy. Not only Beastmen, Genome or Anti-Spiral, but especially Rossiu. It's the only character to have some common sense, and who can bring real depth in the show. But instead, everytime he opens his mouth, someone throws something in his face. Plus, he mades tough choices for the good of his people like arresting Simon to calm down the population of finding a way to flee against such a powerfull opponent who is the Anti-Spiral, and sometimes, we need to back up to move foward more efficiently. But how the anime showed him in the end? It shows him he was wrong! It shows him like a badguy who wants to take control! It shows him he was so wrong the only redemption for him is to commit suicide. But no! It was denied too because he was such a pathetic loser! That means if we don't follow the "god of manliness", you deserve to live in shame and been bullied for the rest of your miserable live!

I remembered saying in my head "F*ck you, Gurren Lagann! A big, large, hard f*ck you!"
Dec 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 2018
All those anime which has NTR or fucking beta male or violent trashundre.
Dec 11, 2018 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
From recent ones I watched:
Sakasama no Patema

Island

Shichisei no Subaru - I dropped it after the first episode. Getting a scholarship to study abroad and some more benefits as a reward for doing well in a video game is fantasizing a bit too much for me.
Dec 11, 2018 6:48 AM
Oct 2018
jarring said:

Seriously, DN is dumb for you?
whats a smart show then?
25NOVemberDec 11, 2018 6:52 AM
Dec 11, 2018 6:50 AM

May 2016
HungryForQuality said:
Fate/Stay Night UBW. Constantly alternates between light hearted slice of life antics to bullshit Shonen asspulls to "deep" philosophical conversations.

Just because you're correct doesn't mean that you're right.

My nomination goes to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. It's an excellent, moody, dark film with an intriguing storyline and realistic characters in a setting that yearns for more exploration in anime...but goddammit, they really bang that Red Riding Hood drum until your ears bleed. I GET IT. FUSE IS THE BIG BAD WOLF AND KEI IS LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD JESUS CHRIST I'M NOT FUCKING FIVE.

25NOVember said:
jarring said:

Seriously DN is dumb for you?
whats a smary show then?

Death Note is a smart show that needed to be overexplained because its core audience (teenagers) are dumb.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 11, 2018 6:56 AM
Oct 2018
Zelkiiro said:
HungryForQuality said:

Just because you're correct doesn't mean that you're right.

My nomination goes to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. It's an excellent, moody, dark film with an intriguing storyline and realistic characters in a setting that yearns for more exploration in anime...but goddammit, they really bang that Red Riding Hood drum until your ears bleed. I GET IT. FUSE IS THE BIG BAD WOLF AND KEI IS LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD JESUS CHRIST I'M NOT FUCKING FIVE.

25NOVember said:

Seriously DN is dumb for you?
whats a smary show then?

Death Note is a smart show that needed to be overexplained because its core audience (teenagers) are dumb.

Now thats the correct way of putting it.
Maybe for jarring it was dumb. He or she must have a iq of 200+.
Dec 11, 2018 7:11 AM

Apr 2016
It's pretty damn rare, even among my most hated. Phantasy Star 2's borderline condescending moralizing, explaining, and whatnot in its early half was one such example. Princess Principal is another (enough with the whole "sipes are liars; did ya know that" "you're lying, aren't you" times infinity nonsense). FranXX's treatment of its characters, especially Zero Two, was pretty offensive, with how they go out of their way to just alter her personality on a whim, with no real natural transitions in her character. Smartphone...its mere existence is insulting on an artistic level. Hand Shakers is the epitome of both giving a fuck and failing, and not giving a fuck, to the point of constantly retconning its concept...and that's not even the most intellectually insulting thing it does.
Dec 11, 2018 8:35 AM

Feb 2015
SAO
Fairy Tail
Tokyo Ghoul
Goblin Slayer
Eromanga Sensei

Also LMAO @ anyone who thinks Hunter x Hunter is stupid because of a stylistic choice.
AshitaNoJonasDec 11, 2018 8:39 AM
Dec 11, 2018 8:44 AM

Apr 2018
We are so smart look at us: the thread..........
Dec 11, 2018 11:28 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Lunilah said:

I liked it. Gave more powerful and epic feeling.

Aside that.. thread answer in general is "no". I don't have such ego to consider having some sort of intelligence "level" that is possible to offend from. (let alone from fiction). That just sounds dumb.
Dec 11, 2018 11:41 AM

Dec 2012
I don't blame the anime, it just is what it is, I blame the people who made it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 11, 2018 12:25 PM

Apr 2013
TBH if I had to feel "insulted" every times something is "overly explained" I would spend many of my days feeling insulted.

My point here is, that story/anime/manga/novel/whatever was not designed specially for YOU but for EVERYONE. Just because you don't need that level of explanation doesn't mean no one else needs it.

They're not "insulting your intelligence" just by explaining things too much. Yes it can feel overly slow when it happens, but that doesn't mean it's "insulting" >-<.
Dec 11, 2018 12:34 PM

Nov 2009
Zefyris said:
TBH if I had to feel "insulted" every times something is "overly explained" I would spend many of my days feeling insulted.

Indeed. Makes one wonder how these people survived school.

I find anime where authors throw around bogus science like in Geneshaft to be a lot more insulting.
Dec 11, 2018 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
Zefyris said:

Indeed. Makes one wonder how these people survived school.

I find anime where authors throw around bogus science like in Geneshaft to be a lot more insulting.

Personally I don't mind explanations cause they are needed. But maybe people mean this ^ here?
Dec 11, 2018 12:56 PM

Oct 2018
RetroBite said:
Lunilah said:

I totally agree! Having to sit through 5 episodes of filler with that squid guy, or that damn board game, was so boring to me. Though, Kurapika's spider arc was amazingly executed imo.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

11 by phantom346 »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

65 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 3 hours ago

5 by palm-tree »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

40 by Spunkert »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

85 by PostMahouShoujo »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.