Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 3, 2018 10:02 PM

Nov 2014
Limaolc said:
Btw, i am to curious to meet the pink haired girl with twintails that appears in opening! She looks really funny and cute!

She will likely appear on the last episode to cliffhanger a 2nd season or something, she comes out after the orc lord arc.

Hokurou sounded a lot like jiraiya this ep
Dec 3, 2018 10:21 PM
Jan 2016
PrevE said:
Limaolc said:
Btw, i am to curious to meet the pink haired girl with twintails that appears in opening! She looks really funny and cute!

She will likely appear on the last episode to cliffhanger a 2nd season or something, she comes out after the orc lord arc.

yeah thank you for the info!

And yeah i aggre with you, he really sounded like jiraya.
Dec 3, 2018 10:22 PM
Jan 2018
PrevE said:
Limaolc said:

She, [spoiler] Milim, [/ spoiler] will appear in the second part of the series. Remember that it will have 24 chapters
Dec 3, 2018 10:23 PM

Dec 2013
Of course they become more human like lol

Gabil and his group don’t seem too bright...
Dec 3, 2018 11:20 PM

May 2015
Benimaru!

Kijin is derived from Ogres? Never heard of em. So they turned more human-like...

Naming drains more magicules on stronger monsters...which reminds me...Did Rimuru fall asleep when he named Veldora Tempest? Or was it because of Veldora already having a name that Rimuru didn't fall asleep when he named him?

Lol did the six ogres just cover the most common tropes of adventurer groups? What a coincidence!

Gabiru is a named lizardman...but he doesn't look any different from the other lizards...other than the hair...

So the orc army is converging on the Lizardmen's marshland, and the lizards need reinforcements. We got Goblins, Tempest Wolves, Dwarves, Ogres, Lizardmen, and a Slime. There's gotta be some sort of avian species that Rimuru befriends as well and he would have most of the Stronghold Units in Heroes of Might and Magic III. 200,000 Orcs...well if they're going to have to fight, I guess this is when Rimuru's Body Double ability will come into practice.
Dec 3, 2018 11:31 PM
Jan 2016
I've read the light novel and manga, and I don't expect this arc to be too long, judging by the pacing so far maybe 2,3 episodes max.

After this arc is when everything starts to get good, when the story gets to the main part, I won't spoil anything but after this arc is when I was hooked on the story
Dec 4, 2018 12:35 AM

Nov 2017
- The Orc on this anime has pig faced huh...
- so, this lizard gabiru voiced by Kazuma, eh? thats why i feel familiar with his stupidity.
- now, Hakuro voice is sounded more like jiraiya than before.
Now Loading.....
Dec 4, 2018 12:58 AM
Jan 2018
Tarotist said:
Benimaru!

Kijin is derived from Ogres? Never heard of em. So they turned more human-like...

Naming drains more magicules on stronger monsters...which reminds me...Did Rimuru fall asleep when he named Veldora Tempest? Or was it because of Veldora already having a name that Rimuru didn't fall asleep when he named him?

Lol did the six ogres just cover the most common tropes of adventurer groups? What a coincidence!

Gabiru is a named lizardman...but he doesn't look any different from the other lizards...other than the hair...

So the orc army is converging on the Lizardmen's marshland, and the lizards need reinforcements. We got Goblins, Tempest Wolves, Dwarves, Ogres, Lizardmen, and a Slime. There's gotta be some sort of avian species that Rimuru befriends as well and he would have most of the Stronghold Units in Heroes of Might and Magic III. 200,000 Orcs...well if they're going to have to fight, I guess this is when Rimuru's Body Double ability will come into practice.

Kijin means Oni People

Rimiru didn't name veldora he was already named. He just gave them both sort of a family name - Tempest - that dosnt effect the magcilus only when you name a non name d monsters
Mattinator95Dec 4, 2018 1:36 AM
Dec 4, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2014
Mostly a build-up episode this week, but by those standards this was honestly very solid, with a lot of very interesting moments both looking back and going forwards.
Dec 4, 2018 1:37 AM
Jan 2018
this is what they looked like in the manga before and after evolving

https://imgur.com/a/CaF42F0
Dec 4, 2018 3:23 AM

Apr 2015
Eyy... Finally, the Ogres join with Rimuru... Nice

That Kurobe becomes an ordinary middle-aged guy, though... lol

and we get to see the Argonian Lizardmen tribe. That Gabiru sounds like Kazuma... lol

can't wait for next Episode.
Dec 4, 2018 3:34 AM
Jul 2016
LazyPanther said:
Seems like nothing significant happened in this episode.

Pacing has start to drag. I know it has 24 episodes but it needs to get going.

We are 200+ minutes into this anime and plot hasn't kicked in yet.

i prefer this without skipped something from the LN/Manga
Dec 4, 2018 4:15 AM

Jun 2013
I loved everything in the episode: Rimuru finally eating something, the Ogres getting names and transforming but to be honest, I prefer their pre-Ogre colors and faces such as Benimaru, Shion, Souei and Shuna. They look good as Kijin too but they looked good with their diverse colors and designs prior. Benimaru and Shouei looked especially badass.

The lizardmen look cool and that scene where Ranga was licking Rimuru was adorable.
臭い-
Dec 4, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2014
idontknowsarcasm said:
fistyoursoul said:
Alright folks now I want to start reading Manga. Anyone knows from which chapter I read after this episode?

-
read the light novel.

Fuck light novels. I am all for Picture reading comics.
Dec 4, 2018 4:24 AM
Jan 2018
fistyoursoul said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-
read the light novel.

Read the manga then
Dec 4, 2018 4:32 AM
Oct 2018
fistyoursoul said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-
read the light novel.

From Manga Chapter 16+ i think
Dec 4, 2018 5:09 AM
Nov 2018
This episode was great, i liked how Rimuru leads his village and how everyone respects him in contrast to how he was when hue was human.
Dec 4, 2018 5:12 AM

May 2015
Shirasho said:

Truth be told the plot has kicked in quite hard. I think it just isn't the type of series you are expecting. This isn't an action-packed isekai series. This is about reconstruction, politics, and world-building. It takes its time building its world and it does it very well. From this perspective the series is doing fine, but otherwise it would appear slow since there isn't action every episode and not every episode involves a fight like the one with Ifrit. I do hope you keep up with this series in the hopes that you start to see what the series is about. It's not the best series in the world, but it does what it tries to achieve very well.

On that note, the ogres becoming allies is massively significant to the plot. They are all badass, full of personality, and perform very specific roles. They also contribute some of the more interesting fight scenes later on. They aren't generic side characters like 99.9% of the goblins.

If you made this comment next week I would have been more inclined to agree. I forgot all about the lizardman chapters. Those were truly uninteresting and rather non-innovative.

I know this isn't supposed to be a generic Action Isekai. And I agree world building is important, but even after 10 episodes there isn't any concrete goal or objective. There is no significant motivation for MC. He just goes around collecting more henchmen.

Sure its necessary to have allies but there could be a better way in terms of storytelling

And btw I can already guess those lizardmen episodes are gonna be uninteresting.

All that said, I still like this show very much and will keep watching it. May be my hopes were too high
Dec 4, 2018 5:50 AM

Apr 2015
they looked like humans cosplaying as ogres.
Dec 4, 2018 6:10 AM
Nov 2018
Kannei said:
if you look at it 10 eps are aired already and if i look back their hasnt anything happend than a slime eating al kind of stuff save and name people
honestly said yeah its a 24 eps season but shorter seesons did 4 times as much story than this one has ... where are the fights action a lil more backstory of the charas i mean their soo many charas and you even barly know their names + i alsoi think its a lil weird that all kind of creature join rimuru soo easy i mean orcs and goblins should be a fighting tribe that doesnt just kneel down soo easy for my taste but well

There were just 6 ogres left of 300 total, i don't think it's a good idea to fight against a horde of goblins+ and op slime. I do think as you that the pace is a bit slow but this is just the beginning of the anime, there's still more than 60% left and i think this pace is intended to be that way, it feels a bit slow but you can still enjoy it. Now if me or you or any other person is expecting a lot of action we'll be dissapointed cause it's not about that it's about world-building like Op
LiedElfenDec 4, 2018 6:26 AM
Dec 4, 2018 6:28 AM
Jan 2018
LazyPanther said:
Shirasho said:

Truth be told the plot has kicked in quite hard. I think it just isn't the type of series you are expecting. This isn't an action-packed isekai series. This is about reconstruction, politics, and world-building. It takes its time building its world and it does it very well. From this perspective the series is doing fine, but otherwise it would appear slow since there isn't action every episode and not every episode involves a fight like the one with Ifrit. I do hope you keep up with this series in the hopes that you start to see what the series is about. It's not the best series in the world, but it does what it tries to achieve very well.

On that note, the ogres becoming allies is massively significant to the plot. They are all badass, full of personality, and perform very specific roles. They also contribute some of the more interesting fight scenes later on. They aren't generic side characters like 99.9% of the goblins.

If you made this comment next week I would have been more inclined to agree. I forgot all about the lizardman chapters. Those were truly uninteresting and rather non-innovative.

I know this isn't supposed to be a generic Action Isekai. And I agree world building is important, but even after 10 episodes there isn't any concrete goal or objective. There is no significant motivation for MC. He just goes around collecting more henchmen.

Sure its necessary to have allies but there could be a better way in terms of storytelling

And btw I can already guess those lizardmen episodes are gonna be uninteresting.

All that said, I still like this show very much and will keep watching it. May be my hopes were too high

There's is a goal it's has been mentioned quite a lot. He wants to build a town/ nation which is what has been happing .

Now that town may now be in danger due to the orcs which is the motivation he needs to defend it..

He isnt going to go out looking for trouble. And he didn't collect them for the sake of it.

There has been reason why they have joined him but it seems people just ignore that part.
Dec 4, 2018 6:29 AM
Jan 2018
damdashdam said:
they looked like humans cosplaying as ogres.

They arnt orgres anymore
Dec 4, 2018 6:29 AM
Feb 2017
Here comes the end of the episode... So fast dude...

Those Lizards seem to be a little bit... stupid?
Dec 4, 2018 7:43 AM

Oct 2014
LazyPanther said:
Shirasho said:

You don't seem to really pay attention to the show if you didn't notice any "goals" being mentioned. There are several infact.

- Leave the cave (COMPLETED)

- Free Veldora from his prison
--> Find monsters whose skills might help at accelerating the process and absorb them

- Find other Otherworlders (COMPLTED by meeting Shizu)

- Meet the students of Shizu in Ingracia Kingdom

- Build up the village as Rimuru's own base of operation
--> Aquire the basics of food, clothing and shelter (COMPLETED by having Hobgobs and Wolves take care of food and Dwarves to take care of clothing and shelter)

- Punch Demon Lord Leon Cromwell in the face
--> Get the information and power neccessary to do so

- Resolve the current situation with the huge Orc army
--> Gain more information about the Orc army
--> Gain more information about the masked Majin that attacked the Ogre village with the Orc army
--> Gain more information about Gelmud and whether or not he is related to the Orcs
--> Check if the Lizardmen can become a potential ally against the Orcs

And that was just off the top of my head. These are both short-term and long-term goals. How you could come to the conclusion that no goals exist is beyond me.
Dec 4, 2018 7:56 AM

Oct 2018
Tarotist said:

Wow a HoMM III reference? Love that game! Tho it'd be weird to see cyclops or behemoths in this series. Would be a unique and cool addition however...

Dec 4, 2018 8:02 AM

Oct 2014
By the way, there appears to be a mistranslation. The female bodyguard of the Lizardman Chief didn't say that that the Orc army is twice as big as their own, but rather TWENTY times. So it's 200,000 Orcs and 10,000 Lizardmen. Crunchyroll messed that part up.
Dec 4, 2018 8:19 AM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:

You don't seem to really pay attention to the show if you didn't notice any "goals" being mentioned. There are several infact.

--> Find monsters whose skills might help at accelerating the process and absorb them

--> Aquire the basics of food, clothing and shelter (COMPLETED by having Hobgobs and Wolves take care of food and Dwarves to take care of clothing and shelter)

--> Gain more information about the masked Majin that attacked the Ogre village with the Orc army
--> Gain more information about Gelmud and whether or not he is related to the Orcs

And that was just off the top of my head. These are both short-term and long-term goals. How you could come to the conclusion that no goals exist is beyond me.

Ok let me rephrase, I mean there is no real character motivation. By "goal" I meant something MC wanted to do by himself.

He just hangs around until a problem shows up, solves it. Rinse, repeat.
It is fine in the beginning but by episode 10 we must know what is driving the MC.

He is supposed to be a 37 year old guy. But he usually acts like a generic teen isekai protagonist
Dec 4, 2018 8:29 AM

May 2015
Mattinator95 said:

There's is a goal it's has been mentioned quite a lot. He wants to build a town/ nation which is what has been happing .

Now that town may now be in danger due to the orcs which is the motivation he needs to defend it..

Yeah I get your point. But why is he doing this? Just bcz he is a nice guy?
Or he wants to take over the world? Defeat the demon Lord?

Bcz if he wanted to survive he could easily make it on his own as a wanderer.

The show doesn't go much into why he is doing this. Sure there might be a sentence or 2 thrown around.

But most of the time he is just eating, passing out, being put under breasts, and being over powered.

To me the show isn't reaching its full potential.

It could be an all time great. But its trajectory is of seasonal hit
Dec 4, 2018 8:39 AM

Oct 2014
LazyPanther said:
Grey-Zone said:

Ok let me rephrase, I mean there is no real character motivation. By "goal" I meant something MC wanted to do by himself.

He just hangs around until a problem shows up, solves it. Rinse, repeat.
It is fine in the beginning but by episode 10 we must know what is driving the MC.

He is supposed to be a 37 year old guy. But he usually acts like a generic teen isekai protagonist

Take note that this series is intentionally adaptating the novel half as slow as other LN series. Compared to the likes of Overlord or other LN adaptations, Slime anime Episode 10 is the equivalent of Episode 5 of other LN adaptations in terms of pacing.

And what do you mean with "like a generic teen isekai protagonist"? What are you refering to specifically?
Dec 4, 2018 8:41 AM

Oct 2017
Seem more like salamandermen than lizardmen.

Naming again. Shouldn't he be down to the level of an unnamed goblin by now? Do they throw mana potions at him while he's knocked out or something? Still doesn't explain why none of the ogres leveled up and named each other, especially the royalty. So the hierarchy goes dragon, slime, then goblins/wolves/ogres. I wonder who else the dragon named, and who named the dragon. Who's the real master?
Dec 4, 2018 8:55 AM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:

Take note that this series is intentionally adaptating the novel half as slow as other LN series. Compared to the likes of Overlord or other LN adaptations, Slime anime Episode 10 is the equivalent of Episode 5 of other LN adaptations.

And what do you mean with "like a generic teen isekai protagonist"? What are you refering to specifically?

A faithful to source adaptation is not necessarily a good adaptation. An adaptation has to work in the medium it is adapted to.

By generic isekai protagonist, I mean most isekai have teenagers as protagonists who behave more or less in the same way. Only difference is he behaves silly

But this had a 37 year old man who got transported to this world, who immediately started acting like a 12 year old.

It was a great opportunity for comedy if acted like a 37 year old while looking like a 12 year old.
Dec 4, 2018 9:16 AM

Nov 2010
Kannei said:
if you look at it 10 eps are aired already and if i look back their hasnt anything happend than a slime eating al kind of stuff save and name people
honestly said yeah its a 24 eps season but shorter seesons did 4 times as much story than this one has ... where are the fights action a lil more backstory of the charas i mean their soo many charas and you even barly know their names + i alsoi think its a lil weird that all kind of creature join rimuru soo easy i mean orcs and goblins should be a fighting tribe that doesnt just kneel down soo easy for my taste but well

Maybe you should read the manga considering how well this anime is adapted.
Dec 4, 2018 9:21 AM

Nov 2010
LazyPanther said:
Seems like nothing significant happened in this episode.

Pacing has start to drag. I know it has 24 episodes but it needs to get going.

We are 200+ minutes into this anime and plot hasn't kicked in yet.

The pacing is good and the plot has already kicked in. If you were expecting an action-packed isekai, then you're watching the wrong series. This is a SOL-style series that's about politics, development of a "monster" nation, and ultimately about Rimuru's own adventures as a leader.

LazyPanther said:

Per manga and light novel, him gathering these allies is very crucial to what happens as the plot thickens. After this arc is when you'll see why he had to gather the likes of goblins, wolves, ogres, and other races that would be considered a spoiler. The pacing is right and this is how it should be.
ThumbsUpBabyDec 4, 2018 9:29 AM
Dec 4, 2018 9:25 AM

Nov 2010
Tarotist said:
Benimaru!

Veldora was the one who named Rimuru hence why Rimuru is so OP right now (well he was already kinda OP since he gained his skills after reincarnating).

Rimuru only gave Veldora a "surname" which isn't really equivalent to just having a name. In that sense, Rimuru and Veldora are adopted brothers.
Dec 4, 2018 9:35 AM

Jun 2009
ThumbsUpBaby said:
Kannei said:

Maybe you should read the manga considering how well this anime is adapted.

im not enough interessted in this show to read the manga since till now nothing really happend that totally blown me away. just normal show and nothing outhstanding is going on so far
Dec 4, 2018 9:56 AM

May 2015
ThumbsUpBaby said:

Per manga and light novel, him gathering these allies is very crucial to what happens as the plot thickens. After this arc is when you'll see why he had to gather the likes of goblins, wolves, ogres, and other races that would be considered a spoiler. The pacing is right and this is how it should be.

I can pretty much be Ok with the pacing if there was something of significance going on (drama/comedy/action/romance/mystery). There is just this setup to something that is occasionally alluded to, in amidst of all the random dancing, eating, passing out, naming people.

You mentioned it is SOL style.
Slice of Life should have characters that you connect with. As of now almost all of characters can be described in 1 word each.

I think the problem is cast is expanding too fast without enough time to flesh them out.
I cant even remember most of their names
Dec 4, 2018 10:03 AM
Jan 2018
Username23489023 said:
Seem more like salamandermen than lizardmen.

Naming again. Shouldn't he be down to the level of an unnamed goblin by now? Do they throw mana potions at him while he's knocked out or something? Still doesn't explain why none of the ogres leveled up and named each other, especially the royalty. So the hierarchy goes dragon, slime, then goblins/wolves/ogres. I wonder who else the dragon named, and who named the dragon. Who's the real master?

???? He named the orgres before passing out. It only showed one being named as it's the last one he remembers doing.

Rimiru didn't need mana potions. He's a slime he can regenerate he magcilus from around him
Dec 4, 2018 10:07 AM
Jan 2018
LazyPanther said:
Mattinator95 said:

Yeah I get your point. But why is he doing this? Just bcz he is a nice guy?
Or he wants to take over the world? Defeat the demon Lord?

Bcz if he wanted to survive he could easily make it on his own as a wanderer.

The show doesn't go much into why he is doing this. Sure there might be a sentence or 2 thrown around.

But most of the time he is just eating, passing out, being put under breasts, and being over powered.

To me the show isn't reaching its full potential.

It could be an all time great. But its trajectory is of seasonal hit

If I remember correctly it should be expanded on later after the orc lord arc
Dec 4, 2018 10:12 AM

May 2015
Mattinator95 said:

I think my main issue with the show is Characters aren't fleshed out properly and on top of that half a dozen characters are added every episode.

So the whole episode just becomes like character introduction (which basically only includes their name & appearance )
Dec 4, 2018 10:19 AM

Oct 2014
LazyPanther said:
Grey-Zone said:

Take note that this series is intentionally adaptating the novel half as slow as other LN series. Compared to the likes of Overlord or other LN adaptations, Slime anime Episode 10 is the equivalent of Episode 5 of other LN adaptations.

A faithful to source adaptation is not necessarily a good adaptation. An adaptation has to work in the medium it is adapted to.

A slow pace says nothing about the quality of a series though. I can see that you seem to prefer a faster pace and that's a fair opinion, but others might prefer the content to be logically consistent instead, and that various things can be mostly infered from the anime itself instead of always having to say "read the LN/manga for the explanation" to those who call a future development that relied on content that was previously cut from the anime adaptation as being an "asspull" or "plot hole".

Look no further than Overlord for what happens if the adaptation is too fast paced. Most of the "evil" stuff the main cast did in the earlier LN volumes was cut out in the anime because it was roughly 4 episodes per LN volume and then the whole anime-only audience was completely surprised in season 3 that the main cast was, infact, doing very evil things and many called it a "plot hole" or "being out-of-character" that the protagonist "suddenly" did something evil. All because the previous "evil" stuff had been cut out in the anime version. And don't even get me started on all the series that have a pace of 2-3 episodes per LN volume. Those are basically all just slideshows at that point and not even worth watching.

Also the Slime series is pretty lore-heavy and has a pretty big cast. And the machinations in the background are quite complex, as the series has various factions acting in their own interests. It's not one of those stories where there's a clear "good" side and a "bad" side, most of the time. Also it's neither the classic "humans good, monster evil", nor the subversion where it's "monsters good, humans evil". The characters are actually individuals, but there are still very obvious differences between humans and monsters and even among monsters themselves.

On top of that any actions - and also inaction - actually have consequences, some immidiete and some that might only manifest themselves much later.

I mean much of that should be obvious from the fact alone that this series is part of the "village/town/nation-building" genre where the main cast is its own faction, unlike the "carefree adventure" type of story where the main cast merely gets swept up by pre-existing factions that they have to juggle with.

So yea, that's how it is. It's a series that builds a foundation to stand on and moves from there, which might make it seem like it's "dragging", but it's critically important for such a series to get this done, or it will be guarantee to fall apart later in the story. Whether that's "too much" or not is up to anyone to decide for themselves.

LazyPanther said:
Grey-Zone said:

By generic isekai protagonist, I mean most isekai have teenagers as protagonists who behave more or less in the same way. Only difference is he behaves silly

But this had a 37 year old man who got transported to this world, who immediately started acting like a 12 year old.

It was a great opportunity for comedy if acted like a 37 year old while looking like a 12 year old.

You skillfully rephrased what you previously said without actually answering my question. I was asking for SPECIFICS, as in, what scenes specifically are you refering to when you say that.

Nothing personal, but I am asking this because 90+% of the time when someone uses the term "generic" in their sentences they usually freeze up when asked to point out any actual instances that show this "genericness", escpacially when I follow up with "name me at least 5 other characters who act the same in this and other scenes as the character(s) you are pointing out".

By the way, this series also takes some very bold risks, like showing the scene where Rimuru names the Ogre from the perspective of the Rimuru whose memories are "fuzzy". We see the turn of event from the first person perspective of Rimuru to such an extent that the illogical way of Rimuru falling down before even naming the Ogres is literally what Rimuru remembers happening while having "fuzzy memories" when he wakes up. It's an extreme, perhaps even excessive way of applying "show don't tell" and I personally find it interesting, but can also understand that many could get confused by this kind of unusual storytelling. But it's not exactly the first time someone takes such risks. Stuff like the Haruhi series showing events completely out of order already happened after all, and this little scene in Slime was just minor in comparison.
Grey-ZoneDec 4, 2018 10:29 AM
Dec 4, 2018 10:28 AM
Jan 2018
LazyPanther said:
Mattinator95 said:

I think my main issue with the show is Characters aren't fleshed out properly and on top of that half a dozen characters are added every episode.

So the whole episode just becomes like character introduction (which basically only includes their name & appearance )

Depends on the character most of them a either background or supporting roles
Dec 4, 2018 10:37 AM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:

You skillfully rephrased what you previously said without actually answering my question. I was asking for SPECIFICS, as in, what scenes specifically are you refering to when you say that.

Nothing personal, but I am asking this because 90+% of the time when someone uses the term "generic" in their sentences they usually freeze up when asked to point out any actual instances that show this "genericness", escpacially when I follow up with "name me at least 5 other characters who act the same in this and other scenes as the character(s) you are pointing out".

An example would be "Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody"
Only difference being slime acts silly at times

The problem is we don't know much about him. The things we do know, are fairly common among MC's.
Like being helpful & nice to everyone
Being overpowered
Being a hopeless virgin

Its possible they give rimuru a solid personality later on, but as of now there is no fleshing out of his character.

Dec 4, 2018 11:16 AM

Jun 2015
This show was good in the begining, but is getting more boring each episode.
Rimuru never does anything, he doesn't have any plans or goals. He's too passive, always just reacting to things other people do. Also, he's so nice that it borders on being a pushover. Last episode there was no reason for him not to beat the crap out of those ogres. He should learn a thing or two from Overlord's Ainz.
Also, where exactly does Rimuru get all that magical power? Despite all his skills, isn't he still just a slime?? How can he name so many monsters? It can't be because the dragon named him, because Gelmud, who is a demon lord and presumably also very powerful, has been naming other creatures and they're not even close to Rimuru in power.
AnotherGuyDec 4, 2018 11:29 AM
Dec 4, 2018 11:18 AM

May 2015
AnotherGuy said:
Rimuru never does anything, he doesn't have any plans or goals. He's too passive, always just reacting to things other people do. Also, he's so nice that it borders on being a pushover.

Yeah my thoughts exactly
Dec 4, 2018 11:53 AM
Oct 2018
AnotherGuy said:
Rimuru never does anything, he doesn't have any plans or goals. He's too passive, always just reacting to things other people do. Also, he's so nice that it borders on being a pushover. Last episode there was no reason for him not to beat the crap out of those ogres. He should learn a thing or two from Overlord's Ainz.
Also, where exactly does Rimuru get all that magical power? Despite all his skills, isn't he still just a slime?? How can he name so many monsters? It can't be because the dragon named him, because Gelmud, who is a demon lord and presumably also very powerful, has been naming other creatures and they're not even close to Rimuru in power.

-
if this anime was good in the beggining it should be now too.
-
rimuru has goals, the principal it's build a nation, and the other it's encounter leon, without mentioning that now he has that problem with the orc army and this majin's.
-
also, gelmud it's not a demon lord, just a former high class devil that wants to make the orc lord a new demon lord.
-
who names you pretty much affects your power yes, but you have seen the consequences of naming too much, the goblins are low class creatures, they are not so powerful so the don't take too much magicules, but as you seen, the ogres are high classes and just naming six of them, his magicules went dry.
"I know anything goes here...
but this...
this is clearly not fucking okay...!"
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Dec 4, 2018 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
LazyPanther said:
An example would be "Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody"
Only difference being slime acts silly at times

Great that you mentioned him, because I know both characters as I follow their source materials. But you are wrong, Satou and Rimuru are very different. The anime adaptations by themselves already give more than enough information to make that distinction:

Satou:
- Game Programmer in previous life
- Is not a virgin in either his past or new life (he goes to brothels)
- Got transported to another world for an unknown reason with an unknown method with a younger version of his own body and a "menu system" cheat that's exlusive to him even compared to other Otherworlders
- Doesn't want to stand out, going as far to do any "heroic" deeds by dressing as a masked hero
- Does everything possible to shirk taking up any larger responsiblities that might bind him to a specific place (not entirely sure if the anime properly conveyed this point)
- Has the goals to tour the world as a unsuspecting peddler with his pseudo-harem and find a way to return to his world if possible, but isn't in any particular rush to do so
- Is actually good at handling women
- Makes up a background story to hide the fact that he is an otherworlder and has no problem lying to pretty much everyone if it's for the purpose of appearing unsuspecting

Rimuru:
- Salaryman in previous life
- Is a virgin in both previous and new life
- Got reincarnated as Slime and gets many of his questions about what happened to him answered immdietly after arriving in the new world, by the Great Sage and Veldora
- Says he doesn't want to stand out, but immdietly does something that makes him stand out and only realizing his mistake afterwards
- Is willing to take up large responsibilities like leading a Goblin village just because the Goblin's said "pretty please", but in turn immdietly "delegates" most of the work and day-to-day affairs onto someone else
- Doesn't really know what to do after becoming a blue/silver blob of magic mass (who would?) and instead makes up his goals "on the go", which lead to him eventually, due to various circumstances, getting the goals I mentioned in my previous post. Doesn't show any interest about wanting to return to his old world
- Can only use cheesy cliché lines that only work because they aren't well-known in the other world and has a messed up sense of humor, making jokes whose punchline most of the time even the audience of the show (us) fail to recognise, or are at least delivered in a rather cringy way
- Tells the first "person" he mets that he is an Otherworlder and never seems to really care about hiding this fact up until this point in the series, but no one other than Shizu or Veldora really asked, so this point is not entirely clear only based on the anime
- Is a hypocrite who tells his new underling to look away while he immdietly breaks the very first "law" of his new community he only just established
- Acclimatized to his Slime body within a few months to the extent that he actually mentions prefering it over his human form, even though he was a human for 37 years

LazyPanther said:
The problem is we don't know much about him. The things we do know, are fairly common among MC's.
Like being helpful & nice to everyone
Being overpowered
Being a hopeless virgin

Its possible they give rimuru a solid personality later on, but as of now there is no fleshing out of his character.

I refer to the points for Rimuru I made above and I also add that most of the points you mentioned doesn't have any significant range of alternatives for them.

So he is nice most of the time. And? What's the alternative? He can be "sometimes nice but somtimes not"? Or he can be an edgelord that never speaks to anyone out of his own accord? What other alternatives to that are there? Also you are wrong. He isn't nice to "everyone". He had no problem decapitating a sentient wolf and judging by Rimuru's look before the Ogre princess intervened, he had a cold, resignating face indicating that he would have to kill the Ogres for his and his people's safety if they continued their attack despite it being an appearent misunderstanding. He wasn't "nice" to the human adventurers at the entrance to Dwargon either. So what's the big deal for Rimuru to be nice to everyone else? Again the range of alternatives regarding how to treat people who don't particularily treat you badly out of malicious intent is not very great, which is being selective or being an edgelord.

Being overpowered doesn't have a particular great range of alternatives either. While it's true that isekai has a higher amount of them than many other genres in comparison, in general overpowered protagonists are still considerably rare. Weak MCs with the motto "I am just a normal, average highschool boy you can find anywhere" or "I am just a loser NEET who never do anything by themselves throughout the entire show and blush just at the mere presence of a 'beautiful girl' even near the end of the series!", are much more common in comparison. Developing MCs, who gradually become stronger (often turning out to always be just slightly weaker than the antagonists, i.e. an underdog protagonist) are also significantly more common than OP MCs. The only type that's rarer is the "strategist" MC who is weak, but at the same time the brain of the main cast, but even with that OP MCs are still 3rd out of 4 on the "genericness" scala for the strength scale. Not too bad if you ask me.

Regarding being a virgin, it's actually played for laughts in this series, as he got two Unique Skills from that regret, which ironicly don't help him with that issue in his next live at all, as instead his thoughts about the loss of blood cause him to become a sexless magic blob, making him presumably unable to ever "graduate from virginity" even in his new life. With that he has a good reason not to lose his virginity, at least compared to other series where the virginity just drags on for no reason, despite the MC having a harem full of willing girls and the MC being not being against it in particular either.

Also in Rimuru's previous life he was, other than on the women front, not a loser at all. He mentions making "decent money" after all and seems to socialize normally as well going by the fact he met with his co-worker without any indication that it was any particular "special event" or anything, so he isn't some secluded loner either. Also he constantly draws parallels with his previous life and not just with games, something that none of the "generic teens" ever do, unless it's about their "chuuniness" or something along those lines.

So no, Rimuru is very, very different to the so-called "generic protaongist".

Username23489023 said:

No, Rimuru named all of them and you likely cannot name someone without having a name yourself. The "mutual name exchange" with Veldora is a special case considering Veldora is appearently a mythical "true dragon" of which only 4 exist and the fact that Veldora already had a name.

As for the mana stuff, that's actually a somewhat important plot point that gets addressed later on. Let's just say Rimuru's speculation about the "problem" of naming monsters merely being a 3-days-long sleep is not quite accurate, but there's also a reason why this "problem" doesn't really apply to Rimuru. Need to be patient to wait for the explanation later on, but the as-of-yet manga-exclusive "Veldora's slime observation journal" side-story that comes with the manga volumes, sheds some light on that much earlier.

Anything more would be spoilers so I refrain from that for now.
Grey-ZoneDec 4, 2018 12:43 PM
Dec 4, 2018 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
idontknowsarcasm said:

-if this anime was good in the beggining it should be now too.

-rimuru has goals, the principal it's build a nation, and the other it's encounter leon, without mentioning that now he has that problem with the orc army and this majin's.

In the beginning we were discovering the world along the protagonist, learning his powers and such. Now we're just being introduced to new characters every episode and all we get to see is the boring village setting. There's no worldbuilding, no further characterization of the existing characters. For all I know these ogres will be just as relevant to the plot as the individual adventurers, dwarves, wolves and goblins before them.

Again, we know Rimuru wants to build the village up into something bigger, but why? What is his ultimate goal with this?
He also says he wants to meet that one demon lord, but what steps is he taking to achieve that? We as the audience know that the plot will eventually bring the two together, but as far as Rimuru knows this will never happen.

And the orc army is just another problem that was thrown at the MC, like the Ifrit and the wolf attack. None of these events were consequence of Rimuru's actions. He just reacts to these things when they happen because he happened to be there and he's such a nice guy. We're at episode 10 and he's yet to do anything to move the plot forward. So far he's just going along with things, which is strange for someone with so much power.

In contrast, look at Overlord's Main Character, who is in a very similar situation as Rimuru. He sends his minions across the world to gather information and artifacts. He works under different aliases to gain influence with different factions. He doesn't help people for free. You never see him iddle, just sitting on his fortress waiting for his enemies to come (except that one time, but even then it was part of his plan). He shapes the world around him. Granted, he's an evil character, but there's nothing wrong with having a little ambition. Even the MC of Log Horizon, who was a good person, had schemes of his own.

As it stands I can't give this show a higher score than Log Horizon or Overlord season 1, which means a 7 or lower.
AnotherGuyDec 4, 2018 1:48 PM
Dec 4, 2018 1:50 PM
Oct 2018
AnotherGuy said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-rimuru has goals, the principal it's build a nation, and the other it's encounter leon, without mentioning that now he has that problem with the orc army and this majin's.

In the beginning we were discovering the world along the protagonist, learning his powers and such. Now we're just being introduced to new characters every episode and all we get to see is the boring village setting. There's no worldbuilding, no further characterization of the existing characters. For all I know these ogres will be just as relevant to the plot as the individual adventurers, dwarves, wolves and goblins before them.

Again, we know Rimuru wants to build the village up into something bigger, but why? What is his ultimate goal with this?
He also says he wants to meet that one demon lord, but what steps is he taking to achieve that? We as the audience know that the plot will eventually bring the two together, but as far as Rimuru knows this will never happen.

And the orc army is just another problem that was thrown at the MC, like the Ifrit and the wolf attack. None of these events were consequence of Rimuru's actions. He just reacts to these things when they happen because he happened to be there and he's such a nice guy. We're at episode 10 and he's yet to do anything to move the plot forward. So far he's just going along with things, which is strange for someone with so much power.

In contrast, look at Overlord's Main Character, who is in a very simmilar situation as Rimuru. He sends his minions across the world to gather information and artifacts. He works under different aliases to gain influence with different factions. He doesn't help people for free. You never see him iddle, just sitting on his fortress waiting for his enemies to come (except that one time, but even then it was part of his plan). He shapes the world around him. Granted, he's an evil character, but there's nothing wrong with having a little ambition. Even the MC of Log Horizon, who was a good person, had schemes of his own.

As it stands I can't give this show a higher score than Log Horizon or Overlord season 1, which means a 7 or lower.

-
i said what the plot was, not all actions have to be from rimuru's actions.
-
also, he does not know where is leon, so what do you expect him to do, also, all of this events after the orc lord arc it's going to be really great so you should wait.
"I know anything goes here...
but this...
this is clearly not fucking okay...!"
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Dec 4, 2018 1:59 PM
Nov 2015
AnotherGuy said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

In contrast, look at Overlord's Main Character, who is in a very similar situation as Rimuru. He sends his minions across the world to gather information and artifacts. He works under different aliases to gain influence with different factions. He doesn't help people for free. You never see him iddle, just sitting on his fortress waiting for his enemies to come (except that one time, but even then it was part of his plan). He shapes the world around him. Granted, he's an evil character, but there's nothing wrong with having a little ambition. Even the MC of Log Horizon, who was a good person, had schemes of his own.

To build a nation don't need to send out your people to other country, every country has their own culture.

You implying I want to build a country mean oh look that's america send you men get referance and build same america.

No no that's not how country works, in you need to leaRN the meaning country.

Think Indonesia their culture their country and compare to american. Do you think to build nations oh send my people like that and build similar stuff.

And when you become rimuru why the heck you care other people small problem, you have nation / country to build that's much more importand than your own personal problem or that shizu problem. Learn politics and how build a nations.

And ains did not build a country but invader, forcefully and stealing people country like Nazi massacre.

You have to learn much more what the meaNing build a country from zero, not comparing to ains that just invaded and stealing stuff.

Ains don't build a country he is invader like Nazis, overlord does not similar to rimuru what the fuck are you saying do you even watching overlord ? Do you understand the meaning INVADER AND COUNQUOR forcefully other country because that what ains did.

Ains did not build a country, but invading, stealing, and evil. You can't compare that to rimuru that just wrong argument.

Do you understand how a country was build ? Its the same as how Indonesia Malaysian american mexico Iran was exist from scratch without other country or culture interference.

Still don't understand ? Learn hitory how a country was build, learn your own country origins, your argument is the most stupid thing.

You cannot compare this anime to other finish anime overlord.

If you arguing because " he should be send his minion" yes he will but build his country first with his own culture (build his own culture ).
After he finish building his country later, he will go explore other country and then spoiler alert bIG plot kick in.

redcobraDec 4, 2018 5:53 PM
Dec 4, 2018 2:33 PM

Oct 2014
AnotherGuy said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

First off, you are comparing two "finished" series with an on-going one in the middle of an arc which is complete non-sense.

Pacing wise EP10 of Slime is the equivalent of EP5 of Overlord S1, i.e. the beginning of LN vol. 2. Also Rimuru's team, unlike Ainz, has no access to an already "complete" base like Nazarick (or a complete "maxed" team of subordinates for that matter), neither to a functioning player city with working guildrooms like Akiba in Log Horizon.

Rimuru's group also consists mostly of monsters and is isolated from the civilized society. Before gaining a human form and discovering the magic suppression aspect of the mask, Rimuru didn't even have a way to go to human lands without immdietly becoming a subjugation target of adventurers, unlike Ainz's group who had various subordinates who can disguise themselves as humans or are skilled at stealth, as well as his own magic armor disguise.

That's why Rimuru has to build up his own ressources first before he can get anything done.

Also the big chaos in the forest just illustrates how much of an impact Veldora's disappearence has. A big taboo zone that monsters and humans alike feared suddenly isn't scary anymore. OF COURSE it creates a big uproar, escpacially since no one other than Rimuru himself is aware of the reason for that. I mean just imagine it from the perspective of others: A big mythical sealed dragon just disappears one day without any trace and no one has an idea why. The big guns naturally would make their moves in response. If you paid attention you'd notice the "odd" detail that the Orcs have possession of an unnaturally high amount of plate armor they shouldn't have, which means they aren't just a "random Orc horde that does Orc horde things", but are rather influenced by someone with enough money or power to supply the Orcs with so much armor.

So the only thing that wasn't directly caused by Rimuru's actions was the whole thing with Ifrit, as she was appearently going to pass by that area anyway to find Leon, so that was probably unrelated to Veldora's disappearence.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2018

290 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 21, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Jiharo - Feb 11, 2019

227 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 19, 5:17 AM

» rimuru is the bad guy

Rukasumi - Apr 11

2 by felixsifuri »»
Apr 12, 11:53 AM

» Help my fellow weebs

Lonely_kun - Apr 5

27 by Puntosmx »»
Apr 7, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2019

287 by iggggi »»
Apr 7, 5:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.