Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 30, 2018 8:01 AM
Aug 2017
Why doesn't Hidaka understand that it requires more then just getting good at games and beating him at it to make him fall for you.

Good episode though. They were like a married couple!!!!. Even though Haruo didn't realize it but i am sure Oono did. ;)
Sep 30, 2018 11:05 AM

May 2015
UImoetard said:

Are you a manga reader? If so, how much has the anime adapted so far?
Does the fact that we have to wait half a year for episode 13-15 and the manga just recently ended implies we are getting a follow-up to the cliffhanger and ending the entire series right there?

27 out of 63 they most likely end with another cliffhanger for dat 3 episodes, there's also this two extra stories that enough to be a single episode involving kid Oono and her first arcade experience as well as why she loves to choose big guy (ch15-Extra) and kid Hidaka starting to love games and git gud at it (ch27-Extra) I doubt those two will be on the OVA so yeah

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Sep 30, 2018 11:15 AM

May 2015
Air-117 said:
I hated this show so much but also love it. If the art style and animation were a lot better paired with a MC who was less oblivious but just as obsessed it would've been one of my favorites. The animation in particular makes me mad.

his obliviousness makes sense though, he just a kid that loves playing game, some kid just hit dem puberty pretty late because they focus on other things (game/study).

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Sep 30, 2018 12:29 PM
Mar 2015
He really does get hit by women a lot.(Mom and both girls) The night in the hotel was well done. On to the challenge match for his heart
Sep 30, 2018 4:33 PM

Mar 2014
in fact i dont know those fight games and nor do i care. i just want to c their relationship goes further. ofc ive know the manga ending, but i need to c how they improved it. this episode is what i love. in the kawazaki scene, theyre my best couple this season. 5/5
i didnt think i would love this b4 i started. after all, though i dont like the op or 3D movement in this show (sometimes weird) and i never played fight games, i do feel great in watching it. hope another season to finish thie series. 7/10
vellabrownSep 30, 2018 4:39 PM
Oct 1, 2018 2:01 AM

Apr 2016
Love this anime!
Oono sure made a lot of great faces when she was together with Haruo.
Could've been nice if she at least utter some words to him.

That confession by Hidaka though.
I really like both girls so kinda hard who I should root for.
Both are best girls.

Overall, this was a very good watch.
I picked up this anime for the "games" but stayed for the "games and romance".
I'm not a fan of the art style but I think it suits really well with the manga's original style that I got used to it quickly. Only the animation was my problem with this.

Waiting for only 3 episodes for a period of 6 months?
Torture!
Give us season 2 instead so the wait would be more fulfilling.
Oct 1, 2018 3:56 AM

Jan 2011
I think the anime loses a bit of the atmosphere, probably from the CGI making everything look pretty clean, and it does rush through the chapters quite a bit, but this was a pretty satisfactory adaptation. Now I just gotta wait for the manga scans to pick up again.
ReaperCreeperOct 1, 2018 4:02 AM
Oct 1, 2018 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
I just realized... WHERE IS THE GAME TAG FOR THIS ANIME ?! like seriously WTF!
Oct 1, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2015
Shirokuza said:
So its netorare??

Can't call this netorare. It's just pretty much a straight fight between the girls.
Oct 1, 2018 9:48 AM

May 2013
MC has to choose, but I don't want him to, because I really love both the girls XD
Oct 1, 2018 6:34 PM

Feb 2018
Lanz said:
Shirokuza said:
So its netorare??

Can't call this netorare. It's just pretty much a straight fight between the girls.
why xD its netorare where Hidaka loved Haruo but Haruo still loved Oono :)
Oct 1, 2018 8:40 PM
Feb 2016
HarunoAarex said:
Hah...the last episode so so good....that confession was the best part for me...gotta continue the manga now...
Be a good guy they say,,,,but hey I'm just being myself...
Oct 2, 2018 12:38 AM

May 2015
Shirokuza said:
Lanz said:

uhh no, thats not ntr

Oct 2, 2018 1:04 AM

Feb 2018
LeturLefr said:
Shirokuza said:

uhh no, thats not ntr
why its not netorare? xD the ending Hidaka will battle with Oono?
Oct 2, 2018 6:41 AM
Feb 2018
Though I usually prefer the character to end in a relationship with the main girl, It wouldn't bother to see him with Koharu. She is super cute!
Oct 2, 2018 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
Ono is mysterious like always X3 I didn't even imagine that Haruo and Ono ended up spending a night at a hotel... couldn't blame her for not wanting to come back at her noble life routine ^^; It was inexpected but at the same time he didn't have much choice than wanting to help her as much as he can. Her feelings are so obvious! Ono DOES like Haruo even if she's violent to him at times. Very cute ^^

That mom slap and also Hidaka's love confection caugh me off guard o_o"

Wonderful ending! Very excited for OVA and can't wait for season 2 :D It didn't made any sense if this anime ended here. Amazing season! <3 Want to see more of the console generations and also see how far the relationship between Haruo and Ono goes ^^ Sorry Hidaka, but you were very selfish deciding in that kind of bet...

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 2, 2018 11:59 AM

Oct 2013
Overall I loved it, but god that cliffhanger...
Oct 2, 2018 3:38 PM

Oct 2015
So Hidaka is challenging Haruo into a game, if she wins then they go out together now that's what I call asking out a gamer. But I love Oono more, she is such a darling to watch and it's too bad I haven't heard her voice. I personally think Haruo doesn't deserve both of them because they both too good for him and as for him he's just a useless person who loves games who doesn't have much future ahead.

I enjoyed it except the visual quality, but you get used to it since the plot grabs your attention more. I do hope to see the 13-15 episodes of the next season.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 2, 2018 8:36 PM

Jan 2017
I absolutely loved this show and I know I'm going to miss it. I can't wait for the OVAs!
Oct 3, 2018 6:54 AM

Oct 2008
What the EF!
Damn! this episode really left me hanging!
good thing it announced that on 2019 we get 3 episode of OVA which should be episode 13, 14 and 15.
wew! I was so excited much because Hidaka was so courageous on successfully confessing to Haruo...whereas Ono did even SPEAK at all! is she friggin' MUTE!?
Damn still don't know which pair is better since both are equally matched!
5/5!
8/10.

EDIT: oh my I forgot to comment! the sound of turning on the Playstation 1 console! such nostalgic moments since 21 years ago!
matias067Oct 3, 2018 7:19 AM

Oct 3, 2018 7:01 AM
Jan 2017
this ending is very gud thing,, you know in the eps 12 yaguchi help ono to with her escape from home and rent one room in hotel and there they there playing a game and know the feel of warm next day they take a photoshot and got the funny pose,, then,, hidaka seen that photo and feel depresed that she love yaguchi, and confess her love to yaguchi and challenge him to play game with her and if hidaka win yaguchi will be her boy friend,,
damn its so gud at ending,, i still wondering what will happen next and still waiting the second season in 2019,, it has strong feeling while hidaka crying ,,
Oct 3, 2018 10:36 AM

Jun 2015
First Ono, then his mother, and now Hidaka hits him all at the same episode? Haruo isn't catching any break with the ladies today.
Oct 3, 2018 1:27 PM

Sep 2008
I almost missed this gem of the season.

It's going to be a long wait for the sequel. Almost 2 seasons away.
Oct 4, 2018 11:48 AM
Jan 2016
This anime was truly impressive! I am really hyped for the OVAs!

Haruo and Oono really looked like a couple, she looked like a wife! Was a awesome part of the episode!

So Hidaka proposed a chalenge, i am too curious to see how it will finish! And she really confessed to him, i was expecting! Was kinda intense!

It's really hard, they are both cute and sweet! But obvious that Ono and Haruo have a special connection! I really want to hear Oono talking!

Poor Hidaka, i feel kinda bad for her!

I am like you for sure! Your images talk for me!

FireCrauter said:
I will miss these 3 characters

Oct 5, 2018 3:18 AM

Apr 2017
I enjoyed this show a lot. Definitely in the top 3 of summer season. That cliffhanger though. I really got to like Oono, in spite of her never saying a word, and Haruo too, even if he isn't my kind of MC in general. This anime does a really good job at character development.

Oono's faces when they were in the hotel were so cute. I really liked that scene. Hidaka's confession was unexpected, and I certainly look forward to see how it will be resolved.

I do hope they won't go down the path of Haruo loosing and Oono eventually forced to follow her family wishes, but I get the feeling it might. I hope I'm wrong though.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 7, 2018 10:33 AM

Mar 2014
Wowwww, what a cliffhanger!!
It was really surprising when Hidaka confessed to Haruo, but also kind of exciting.

Anyway, I was wondering why this didn't feel like a final episode, glad to know there's going to be an OVA.

What will Haruo's reaction be? Will he throw the match and go for Hidaka, or will he go for Ono? I'm really not sure which girl he'll choose at this point.
Or maybe he'll break some tropes of the genre and decide that both of them are important to him? Really excited to see what I assume will be the true finale in the OVA.
::End of Transmission::

Oct 8, 2018 2:10 PM

Nov 2011
Unfortuantely i was a bit too young for the arcade age and only came in at the SNES era but i still appreciated a lot of the nostalgia in this. Can i say i really loved the fact that Oono was a mute throughout the show, our MC also impressed me in stages, Hidaka felt like she was just introduced as a love interest and did next to nothing, but still though that was a spicy ending, hope they make a s2. 7.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 10, 2018 3:21 PM

Nov 2016
Oh yeah, this show is definitely a slow burner. But the beginning was still not that good imo.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2018 3:14 PM

May 2012
Quite the open ending but at least we got a confession in this series! Which isn't that bad actually. But yea as expected not much of a wrap up.

The CGI and especially animations really bothered me from this series, but the retro game aspect sure was enjoyable. Especially that nostalgic PlayStation 1 boot sound!

All in all a pretty average anime.
Oct 15, 2018 7:25 AM

Dec 2013
This was awesome! I'm so sad that most people won't watch this show simply because of the CG. I want a sequel so bad. If anything continues the story I will be down. 8/10 for me.
Oct 17, 2018 11:22 PM

Jun 2011
So I am the only one who thought this was cringy as fork? They overplayed Haruo's obsession with games a lot of times to the point where he's so purposely oblivious to so many things. It's impressive how this ugly dumb guy got so many hot girls going for him, imma give him props for it, if the setup was not so lazy.

Main reason I couldn't like this series was the poor set up. Hidaka was going to fall in love with Haruo, it was a long time coming but what did Haruo do to earn her affection? Nothing. She chose Haruo out of the thousands and millions of gamers in the world, it wasn't even because Haruo is special, or.. was he? Yea we forget, Haruo is the protagonist of HSG. This is the type of writing that I dislike, that he's just well-liked because he's the protagonist. The writing is just soooo lazy I couldn't root for any of the pair.

90% of the people who like Oono probably only like her because she's cute asf. She doesn't even speak, how do you even root for Haruo and Oono to be together? I know she's been communicating with Haruo in her own way but she's been so unreactive for the majority of the series and she hits Haruo just because she's jealous... but it doesn't matter because she looks cute. A hit from a cute girl akin to a loli wouldn't hurt, right?

Would've probably liked this even a little bit if I share some love for retro gaming with the mangaka/protagonist, unfortunately I am not a huge gamer..

The game references were unrelatable but I thought it was mega-cute at the beginning, it was less cringy when it's not about the romance. Ep4 onwards have been pretty terrible and it's even worse by the end of it. What's the point even for Hidaka's character if the main pair has already been set right from the start?

But I guess this is the type of series the newer fans love, just like how BnHA is absolutely average on all ends but fans treat it as the best battle shounen of all time.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 21, 2018 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
Does anyone know if anything major was skipped in the anime?

also great series 8/10

ps1 intro sound brought me back lol
Oct 23, 2018 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
This was great, really. Completely overlooked it last season, never expected it to be so good. The OST is great too.
Oct 23, 2018 10:28 AM

Oct 2007
6/10

Would be a 8/10 if the animation wasn't shit
Oct 27, 2018 9:54 PM
Aug 2017
SHIIIIIIIIIT, man one of the best indeed.
Oct 29, 2018 2:14 PM

Oct 2008
A lot of nostalgia from this series, especially that PS loading theme brought back a lot of memories. Overall, there were a lot of flaws and poor writing but it was still a pretty fun watch. Not sure if I'll still remember this in March of next year. Leaving it at a point where Hidaka has at least a minuscule chance of winning is not that bad.

I'll leave it at 6/10. Would have given it a higher score if it wasn't for the cringy CG animation.
akihikosamaOct 29, 2018 2:18 PM
Nov 3, 2018 4:15 PM
Mar 2017
belial said:
6/10

Would be a 8/10 if the animation wasn't shit

QFT. I really enjoy the show, but the animation is so ugly it's distracting.
Nov 21, 2018 9:15 AM
Restless One

Apr 2016
The cliffhanger was brutal, but I still loved this to bits. I grew up on games, not so much on arcades but I used to own Playstation 1. So imagine the wave of nostalgia when I heard the Playstation startup sounds in this episode after like 15 years xD

Such great characters, both girls are best girls, and the ED song was 100% unskippable!
I witnessed a loli spill from a cartridge and somehow retained my sanity.
Nov 29, 2018 2:22 AM

Aug 2014
vellabrown said:
in fact i dont know those fight games and nor do i care. i just want to c their relationship goes further. ofc ive know the manga ending, but i need to c how they improved it. this episode is what i love. in the kawazaki scene, theyre my best couple this season. 5/5
i didnt think i would love this b4 i started. after all, though i dont like the op or 3D movement in this show (sometimes weird) and i never played fight games, i do feel great in watching it. hope another season to finish thie series. 7/10

As someone who played multiple games across and fighting games they pretty much nailed it perfectly.

Good for them they also can advertise pretty much anything in the anime that fits perfectly well with the story.

I gave this 10/10 despite knowing the CGI could have been better though it wasn't eye sore. Though i must admit it must've refrain some people watching it just because it's "CGI".

The first 3 episode was one of the best romcom episode I've ever watch.
Following their growth through out school year it's believable enough for them to have their own progression.

Truly this anime is the gem in this 2018.

Kinda weird to found out last year anime Gem is also CGI (Houseki no Mini).
Houseki no Kuni also didn't got much attention until people start spreading it.
Dec 1, 2018 7:38 AM
Mar 2018
Unlucky_Otaku said:
Why doesn't Hidaka understand that it requires more then just getting good at games and beating him at it to make him fall for you.

Good episode though. They were like a married couple!!!!. Even though Haruo didn't realize it but i am sure Oono did. ;)

Well, he is one of those dense otaku characters, which is a trait everyone else in this scenario doesn't understand and nothing - except for that final scene - will make him realize that.

Yeah, felt the same about that hotel excursion. He seems to be despite his crippling gaming obsession to be a sensible guy, that knows what may be right, but he lacks the whole social thing, as someone with that obsession is steretypical too.

Xaelath said:

I gave this 10/10 despite knowing the CGI could have been better though it wasn't eye sore. Though i must admit it must've refrain some people watching it just because it's "CGI".

Well, if it wasn't perfect as you said, than you maybe shouldn't give it a 10/10. But that's just my view of ratings here, which are not regulated at all and therefore don't have any meaning to them. Despite that people judge by them regardless. But yeah, the CGI was a bit weird to say the least. Compared to Hoseki no Kuni (which is my only 10/10 to date) it's rather cheap looking, but not unwatchable. But when I finished the show the scores were below 8, so glad that people caught up to it, this will help the production of the next season.

And for the hype regarding Hoseki no Kuni: The show was awarded by crunchyroll, so that should say enough about getting attention. Just look at the most flamed animes in the recent years and you will for sure see crunchyroll alongside that topic...
Dec 1, 2018 5:58 PM

Aug 2014
DonTrumpolino said:
Unlucky_Otaku said:

Well, he is one of those dense otaku characters, which is a trait everyone else in this scenario doesn't understand and nothing - except for that final scene - will make him realize that.

Yeah, felt the same about that hotel excursion. He seems to be despite his crippling gaming obsession to be a sensible guy, that knows what may be right, but he lacks the whole social thing, as someone with that obsession is steretypical too.

Xaelath said:

Well, if it wasn't perfect as you said, than you maybe shouldn't give it a 10/10. But that's just my view of ratings here, which are not regulated at all and therefore don't have any meaning to them. Despite that people judge by them regardless. But yeah, the CGI was a bit weird to say the least. Compared to Hoseki no Kuni (which is my only 10/10 to date) it's rather cheap looking, but not unwatchable. But when I finished the show the scores were below 8, so glad that people caught up to it, this will help the production of the next season.

And for the hype regarding Hoseki no Kuni: The show was awarded by crunchyroll, so that should say enough about getting attention. Just look at the most flamed animes in the recent years and you will for sure see crunchyroll alongside that topic...

Score never been relevant to rating.
I gave Apocrypha a 10/10 for enjoyment but technically it's below 8 or 7+.

I don't watch much romcom but i sure do follow up trending stuff each season and this one is over the top for me hence why i rated it 10/10 due enjoyment and prob the hidden gem i found this year out of curiosity of the high MAL rating and weird CGI.

I never asked about your scoring about HnK , though it's understandable that score during the airing and after watching it might be different.
Dec 2, 2018 2:38 AM
Mar 2018
Xaelath said:

I never asked about your scoring about HnK , though it's understandable that score during the airing and after watching it might be different.

Well, at first I was like totally against it and thought it looked more like your everyday CGI tryhard, but then after starting to watch it I changed my mind. And that had nothing really to do with the hype-cycle, even though I first came about this anime from a recommendation from one of the youtuber "reviewers". But then I mostly use these as reference what there might be entertaining, not what the youtuber "suggests" I should think about it. Just because someone says it's good, doesn't mean I need to feel the same way.
Dec 15, 2018 9:43 PM

Aug 2015
Haruo's mom ftw.

Hidaka could've taken her top off in the arcade right next to him and Harou would have no idea what she wants.

Man, that ending! That's not how you end a series, dammit!

I started out unimpressed but the relationship drama grew on me (and the game subculture aspect was something I also liked).
Dec 26, 2018 1:03 PM

Oct 2010
This anime was amazing to me, as a person that grew up in the 90s. So much nostlagia and the authenticity is perfect. That PS boot screen/music. Heaven. But yeah, I can't choose between the girls! So rare. I'm glad at where this is heading though. Can't wait for the OVAs. This anime was much better than I expected it would be
Dec 27, 2018 9:30 AM

Apr 2015
God, I love Haruo and Oono. There was also something undeniably erotic about the two of them in a hotel together, even if they didn't do anything physical.

Damn, they ended on a cliffhanger like that? Those three bonus episodes can't come soon enough. I want to hear Oono actually talk!

8/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 29, 2018 1:17 PM

May 2017
Lkmmao said:
Great episode. Oono was so cute and looked like a wife when they are in the hotel XD

Hearth breaking though, Haruo have made 2 innocent girls cried :(

Don't worry Haruo's mom is always there to give him a good whack for making girls cry. Haruo's mom = best mom = best wingman.
Dec 30, 2018 4:46 AM

May 2013
Hate the animation, but Jesus Christ, this story is fantastic! It's such a throw back to my teenage years. I just wish he would pick Hidaka. It's not going to happen, but she is Best Girl.
Jan 1, 2019 12:00 AM

Mar 2014
Ughhh, I thought this would be an average CGI anime but it pulled my heartstrings so well. AND it helped me see what the gaming world was like in the 90s! I still can't believe how many different systems and gaming environments were floating around during that time.

We're left hanging for now on how Ono's situation turned out, and Hidaka's confession was a little surprising but she probably felt she had to after seeing proof of how close Haruo and Ono were

Easy 9/10, lost 1 point for the CGI being a little awkward at times
Jan 1, 2019 6:53 AM

Mar 2016
Just when Hidaka made a move and I thought I would get Haruo response. It ends in a cliffhanger. J.C. staff, why you do me like this. :(

Can't wait for the OVAs.
Jan 2, 2019 12:03 AM

Apr 2018
man this show is great
i love the street fighter parts and how its actually legit
ive never been around arcades, but i always wanted to and just love the atmosphere they bring in this show

also the romance is cute af

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 3 Discussion

nehnehneji - Aug 10, 2018

46 by Strikrr »»
Jan 5, 12:56 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Kuroko33 - Sep 4, 2018

34 by asoyboy »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

67 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 9:03 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2018

68 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 13, 2023 8:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.