Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Fruits Basket' Receives New TV Anime Adaptation

New
Nov 19, 2018 7:14 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
This year's 24th issue of Hakusensha's Hana to Yume magazine announced a new anime adaptation of Natsuki Takaya's supernatural shoujo manga Fruits Basket on Tuesday, scheduled to air on TV Tokyo in 2019. The new anime will adapt the manga series in its entirety. Avex Entertainment also opened an official website for the series simultaneously, revealing new staff, cast, and a teaser visual (pictured).

The anime announcement was originally revealed through Hana to Yume's listing of the issue's cover on November 12. The magazine promptly removed the listing and issued a statement on its official Twitter the following day that reads, "Please wait for the official announcement regarding Fruits Basket's media adaptation on November 20."

Synopsis
Tooru Honda is an orphan with nowhere to go but a tent in the woods, until the Souma family takes her in. However, the Souma family is no ordinary family, and they hide a grave secret: when they are hugged by someone of the opposite gender, they turn into animals from the Chinese Zodiac!

Now, Tooru must help Kyou and Yuki Souma hide their curse from their classmates, as well as her friends Arisa Uotani and Megumi Hanajima. As she is drawn further into the mysterious world of the Soumas, she meets more of the family, forging friendships along the way.

But this curse has caused much suffering; it has broken many Soumas. Despite this, Tooru may just be able to heal their hearts and soothe their souls. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Staff
Director: Yoshihide Ibata (FLCL Progressive co-director)
Series Composition: Taku Kishimoto (Boku dake ga Inai Machi)
Character Design: Yuu Shindou (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
Executive Supervisor: Natsuki Takaya
Studio: TMS Entertainment

Cast
Tooru Honda: Manaka Iwami (Gamers!)
Yuki Souma: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Ore Monogatari!!)
Kyou Souma: Yuuma Uchida (Banana Fish)
Shigure Souma: Yuuichi Nakamura (Inu x Boku SS)

North American anime distributor Funimation also announced in a press release on Monday that it has licensed the new anime for both streaming and home video rights.

Fruits Basket was published in Hana to Yume magazine between 1998 and 2006 and compiled into 23 volumes. Hakusensha later reprinted the series in 12 omnibus volumes in 2015-2016. Takaya began serializing the Fruits Basket: Another sequel manga in Hana LaLa online web magazine in September 2015, which later moved to the Manga Park website last August. The manga is expected to end in the next chapter, with one-shots planned for subsequent release. The second volume went on sale last September, with the third and final volume scheduled for release at a later date. According to Hakusensha, Fruits Basket has sold a cumulative 30 million copies of its compiled volumes worldwide. The sequel manga currently has 340,000 copies of the first two volumes in circulation.

Studio Deen produced a 26-episode anime series in Summer 2001, adapting the first six volumes and the earlier chapters of the seventh volume. Funimation released the anime in North America on four DVD volumes in 2002-2003 and later on Blu-ray last August.

Tokyopop originally published the manga in English from 2004-2009 and Ultimate Editions beginning 2007, combining two sequential volumes in a single hard-cover volume. Yen Press relicensed the series in 2015 and published it in 12 omnibus volumes between June 2016 and April 2017, matching Hakusensha's collector's editions.

Fruits Basket received the 25th Kodansha Manga Awards for shoujo manga and Best Manga award at the American Anime Awards in 2007. The anime series also won the 2001 Anime Grand Prix Award.

Official site: https://fruba.jp/
Official Twitter: @fruba_PR

Source: Comic Natalie

Fruits Basket (2019) on MAL
VindstotSep 20, 2019 6:41 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 19, 2018 7:15 AM

Oct 2010
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

"The new anime will adapt the manga series in its entirety. "

It's the current year
Nov 19, 2018 7:16 AM

Nov 2007
Event on March 16, 2019
https://twitter.com/fruba_PR/status/1064535252201160704

I'm so used to Yuki's original version's voice that I'm not sure if I can get use to Shimazaki-san's version. Though I do think his voice style suits Yuki.
tsubasaloverNov 19, 2018 9:43 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 19, 2018 7:19 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
YES! I'm really excited to see this. It'll be such a treat to re-watch and in full animated length adapting the manga series entirely; looking forward to it!
Nov 19, 2018 7:22 AM
Jun 2011
oh my god full animated adaption of the manga
Nov 19, 2018 7:29 AM

Jan 2016
soooooooo happy! I have to catch up
Nov 19, 2018 7:34 AM

Nov 2014
OOOOHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAA BOIIIIIIIII
Nov 19, 2018 7:40 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
A full adaptation might need a lot of episodes. Haven't read the manga, but it might need at least 75 episodes if this anime is going to be a remake.
Nov 19, 2018 7:51 AM

Oct 2013
I loved this since I was so young! Its one those first shoujo I've seen! I'm excited to see this getting adapted again, and this time, a full one from chapter one to last!
Nov 19, 2018 7:54 AM

Jul 2017
Ohhhhh! I need to re-watch Fruits Basket.. oh wait, full adaptation from chapter 1? What a good news!
2019 will be the best year of anime since 2013.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 19, 2018 8:00 AM

Sep 2014
Good Lord!! Fruits Basket is one of my favourites Anime so I just can't wait to see this new adaptaion.
Nov 19, 2018 8:50 AM

May 2015
A full adaptation remake? But I haven't seen Fruits Basket yet. Well, that just went straight to the top on my priority list!
Nov 19, 2018 8:56 AM

Aug 2009
A REAL bummer they changed all the big name VAs.

Not that the new ones are bad per se....but the old are some of the greatest names in the industry.
Nov 19, 2018 8:56 AM

Jul 2015
there is no way i can enjoy a reverse harem
skip
Nov 19, 2018 8:59 AM

Feb 2015
Maybe this one won't be as shitty as the last...
Nov 19, 2018 8:59 AM
Dec 2013
Yay! Another classic anime getting a remake!
Nov 19, 2018 9:04 AM

Nov 2016
And another anime to look forward to.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 19, 2018 9:13 AM

Jan 2013
All these old remakes... I'm still waiting on a Slam Dunk remake
Nov 19, 2018 9:16 AM
Nov 2018
tragedydesu said:
skip
Fruits Basket isn't a reverse harem.
Nov 19, 2018 9:21 AM

Feb 2014
A full adaptation? I may watch this.
Nov 19, 2018 9:54 AM

Feb 2013
I bet it'll be 24 episodes and rushed as fuck
Nov 19, 2018 10:08 AM

Sep 2015
I can’t even process this right now because I’m so excited!!! :-D
Nov 19, 2018 10:26 AM

Mar 2014
AM I DREAMING

This is so exciting! And it will be a full adaptation, wow. I really like this trend of adapting old classics.
Nov 19, 2018 10:36 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
tsubasalover said:
I'm so used to Yuki's original version's voice that I'm not sure if I can get use to Shimazaki-san's version. Though I do think his voice style suits Yuki.

I know what you mean. Uchida will likely do a good job of Kyou too, but part of me can't help but be sad Seki Tomokazu won't return. I mean, it makes sense. Their voices have aged in 17 years, and Sailor Moon's seiyuu reprisal was kind of painful... Still, it's hard knowing "old greats" act less and less these days :(

That aside, I'm unbelievably happy about this news! Fruits Basket was the first manga I ever finished, so it'll always be a little bit special for me~
Nov 19, 2018 10:52 AM

Feb 2013
Statement of the mangaka about the new anime. Remember that she had problems with the old adaptation and the director with his choices, direction and overall. It reached a point where none of them wanted to work together again.

I never once felt negatively about the project or thought that I didn't want to do it, but still, my first thought was “What?!” (lol)
So, I made several requests right off the bat.
One of those was to do it with a completely new team.
Completely new. Every single person.
I told [the producers], if you want to open the curtain again, then please make it all new. Please rebuild the Furuba world from scratch, with new everything.
Another request was to not make the art look too much like my art.
This was partly because my Furuba art is old now, pure and simple, and also largely because I was in poor health back then (you can find more details about that in the afterword to the Collector's Edition, if you're curious), so my drawing was awfully shaky. Because of that, I wanted them to rebuild the art as well.
Other than that… Well, it was a mix. On some things I gave them detailed thoughts, and on others I gave them my blessing to do as they liked.
The production staff promptly accepted my requests and worked to meet them, and I'm truly grateful to them all. Thank you again.
They also readily gave me permission to visit the recording sessions sometimes, which makes me so happy. I don't actually do anything there; I'm just an observer. (Really, I don't do anything.)
It's a pure delight, getting to see the reels a little early like that.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/funimation-reveals-cast-staff-streaming-for-new-2019-fruits-basket-tv-anime/.139680
Nov 19, 2018 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
Holy shit. Never thought this was going to happen. I hope it gets the full treatment. A rushed or compressed adaptation won't do this any justice. In either case, I'm really interested to see where this goes.
Nov 19, 2018 11:11 AM

Aug 2018
Ahh i don't have a strong memory of fruits basket but i'm excited nonetheless as a big shoujo/josei fan. Kyo is bae
Nov 19, 2018 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
wow this was rather surprising cool news. I remember watching the original many years back and so this certainly bring me nostalgia. The new stuff looks great tbh and its all upto depend on number of episodes they can produce (hopefully do not be same number of episode as original!).
Nov 19, 2018 11:29 AM

Sep 2017
WHAT IN THE FREAKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

nice that fruits basket is finally returning back. Also it is gonna be adapting the entire manga!!!! This better be more than 35 episodes long.

One of my favorite anime of all time. Sad that original seiyuus will not return, but it leaves potential. Definitely adding this to 2019 watch!!

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 19, 2018 11:31 AM

Jun 2008
Really great news! I haven't read the manga but i did watch the anime way back in the day and i'm looking forward to this!
Nov 19, 2018 11:59 AM
Nov 2013
halcyon- said:
Ohhhhh! I need to re-watch Fruits Basket.. oh wait, full adaptation from chapter 1? What a good news!
2019 will be the best year of anime since 2013.

And let's just wait and see
Nov 19, 2018 12:05 PM

Dec 2007
Felt like Shoujo anime kinda died recently, but here is Japan reviving Shoujo with a remake of a prominent Shoujo manga. This is a big surprise.
Nov 19, 2018 12:47 PM
May 2015
If this is a remake then I'll definitely watch this. I've been wanting to watch this series for a long time now but every time I tried to, I just ended up looking for another anime to watch. The old animation quality hasn't aged well, in my opinion and that's why I always skipped the 2001 version.

I also read what the author thinks about this new anime adaptation and one of the things that she asked of the new staff is to not make the art style make it look like her art style from the manga because it looks old now. I completely agree with her and that's why I haven't been able to watch the 2001 version of Fruits Basket. This remake will definitely be easier to watch with that new and modern art style.

All in all, I'm quite excited. Plus, it's getting a full adaptation xD

Nov 19, 2018 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
I can't believe this, it's true a full adaptation of fruits basket!!
And Manaka Iwami as Tohru what a nice 2019 this will be! I am so hyped waiting for the new year 😄
Nov 19, 2018 12:58 PM
Jan 2014
THANK YOUR LOOOOOOORD
I've been dreaming of this since forever!
Never thought it would actually come true. I'm literally more hyped about this than a child on Christmas.
Even if its not perfect, at least it got a second chance, that's amazing!
If it is 1/10 as good as the manga, that's already great.

NEVER STOP DREAMING!!!!!! (ok, calm down, me)
Nov 19, 2018 12:59 PM

Nov 2015
....what...?

what.

what??????

WHATKVCMFDLBDFNCVLFDJ KVNFKJ NOL KF

YOURELYINGTOMEYOURELYINGTOMETHISISADREAMBYE

eDIT: hOLY SHITJNFDLKL

edit 2: im crying.
Nov 19, 2018 1:03 PM
Jun 2014
Omg one of my childhood anime that got me hooked! So happy about this. The feels is goona be back
Nov 19, 2018 1:13 PM

Jan 2016
More remake always welcome. "The entire story", we'll see.
Nov 19, 2018 1:55 PM

Apr 2008
Oh my goodness! I was not expected this, so excited!
Nov 19, 2018 1:57 PM

Apr 2011
Klad said:
All these old remakes... I'm still waiting on a Slam Dunk remake
You and me both. I’m still excited about this though. News like this gives me hope lol.
Nov 19, 2018 2:22 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
"The new anime will adapt the manga series in its entirety."

Wow. That is ... a lot of ground to cover. As somebody else said, I'd be worried it will be 'rushed'.

caio_brb said:
This was partly because my Furuba art is old now, pure and simple, and also largely because I was in poor health back then (you can find more details about that in the afterword to the Collector's Edition, if you're curious), so my drawing was awfully shaky.

I had seen her comments about that (I'm currently on vol 10 of the Collector's Edition), and it surprised me because I never noticed a problem.
CratexNov 19, 2018 2:30 PM
Nov 19, 2018 2:33 PM
Sep 2014
Is this real life? Defibitely going to watch, even though I'm not in the target audience anymore...! :D
Nov 19, 2018 2:36 PM
May 2007
Is this real or a dream. A full adaptation? I'm crying.
I'm so happy and I still need AnY S2 to happen next.

tragedydesu said:
skip

Bye.
Love me some good reverse harem material.
Nov 19, 2018 2:42 PM
May 2017
I really don't know how to feel about this. I mean i would love more fruits basket, but ........... I'm going to give a small apology here 'cause I am not a fan of the manga. I don't hate it or anything, I just prefer the anime interpretation. So I feel like it will follow the manga, kinda like fma brotherhood, and I don't mind that but there are little things that just wont settle right with me.

Probably the biggest example it the romance aspect. I felt that in the anime Yuki and Tooru had more chemistry, but I know that Kyo & Tooru are the official couple in the manga. I have nothing against Kyo, and if this new adaptation does follow the manga and they get together I will not be mad at all, but I will still prefer Yuki over him. I always hoped that if they continue on with the show they would pair Yuki & Tooru just to differentiate itself from the manga, and give the other side of the shippers their couple. But, again, if they don't I would not be mad (more like 'oh, so sad').

As you can see I'm really on the fence with this. I just don't know what to think about this. However, one thing I know for a fact is that I hope the animation and story are good. The smaller details will work themselves out in time. Let's cross our fingers and hope this will turn out good!
Nov 19, 2018 2:45 PM

Jan 2009
caio_brb said:

Another request was to not make the art look too much like my art.
This was partly because my Furuba art is old now, pure and simple, and also largely because I was in poor health back then (you can find more details about that in the afterword to the Collector's Edition, if you're curious), so my drawing was awfully shaky. Because of that, I wanted them to rebuild the art as well.

I understand her feelings, but still sad about redesign.
Love her drawing style of later volumes too.
But it seems to be very painful memories for Takaya-sensei.

Some fans was really horrible…
「描くのをやめてほしい」(I want you to stop drawing),「こんなひどいなら回復してほしくなかった」(If you drawing become so terrible (after recover), It would be better, if you didn't recover at all).【Some messages from fans, from the postscript in the FB Japanese Collector's Edition, Vol.5】
Akit0Nov 19, 2018 3:44 PM
Nov 19, 2018 3:20 PM

Dec 2015
Now I'm curious how long this will be. Hopefully, not a repeat of TG:re though.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 19, 2018 3:40 PM

Sep 2011
oh man this is one of the least expected news recently, i dont remember shit about fruits basket but im quite curious how it'll be in a new adaptation and to a full one at that

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 19, 2018 3:49 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
>A manga from 1999 getting a remake that will cover the entire series
>in 2018
Nani?

JizzyHitler said:
oh man this is one of the least expected news recently, i dont remember shit about fruits basket but im quite curious how it'll be in a new adaptation and to a full one at that

Same here
Nov 19, 2018 3:56 PM
Feb 2014
I almost had a heart attack when i saw this, i screamed and called my mom over to tell her the news since she watched and enjoyed the original anime with me too!!! I can't believe that after almost 20 years Fruits Basket finally continues, and it will adapt the whole manga to boot!!!! Miracles do happen!!!! Never give up hope for an anime series to get a remake/continuation!!!! I'm hyped for when they will announce the Katekyo Hitman Reborn remake/continuation now too!!!! And Karneval oh my God, and and...!!!!! :D :D :D <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Nov 19, 2018 4:09 PM
Feb 2014
ssjokg said:
A REAL bummer they changed all the big name VAs.

Not that the new ones are bad per se....but the old are some of the greatest names in the industry.

Apparently it can't be helped, after a long time has passed since an anime aired the seiyuus will be changed for any new adaptations, it happened to D.Gray-man who got an adaptation 10 years after it first started airing, for something as old as Fruits Basket, which was made in 2001 it's to be expected, besides i much prefer guys being voiced by actual guys, and i'm glad that the trend of giving teenaged boys woman voices has been dying out in modern anime.

tragedydesu said:
skip

Too bad, you're the one missing out, it's one of the greatest shoujo anime ever made.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
9 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
12 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.