Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Jan 23, 2018 8:33 PM
Dec 2016
wtf is this.... welp they have different weird taste than the rest of the world,imo
Jan 23, 2018 9:12 PM
Dec 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Rorek said:

Agree, it's a cancer.

Have any of you even bothered to actually look at the top 100? There's some REALLY good shows. Gintama, Code Geass, Monster, Rakugo, Mushishi, FMAB, Ippo, etc. I don't see how you can think all these shows are shit or cancer.

i fucking know right. I checked again, for real the top 100 has many really great show if you overlooked the messed up system
Jan 24, 2018 8:50 PM

Sep 2017
Quite a lot of gems on there so that's decent except the ranking is extremely strange. Honestly I wouldn't think the general consensus is like that over there but aye different strokes.
Feb 4, 2018 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
The responses to this list are pretty hilarious. Of course the Japanese aren't going to have the same tastes as weeaboos. The top anime on MAL just plain aren't the top anime over there. Yes, believe it or not, FMA:B is not the masterpiece many of you think it is, and SAO is not the lowest piece of crap many of you think it is. And I'm not saying the opinions on these are entirely wrong, but the overwhelming love or hate of many of these shows has more to do with groupmind that actual objective analysis.

Take a look at this site. It's sort of a MAL equivalent:

https://www.anikore.jp/pop_ranking/

Note the positions of shows like Steins;Gate, Bakemonogatari, Attack on Titan, and SAO. There are many similarities to the rankings on MAL, and some of the same shows are in the top 10/20/100 etc. But it demonstrates very well how the Japanese don't think FMA:B is the god of all shows and just how many more them love SAO than hate it like here.

Now, I'm not acting like that site is the end all site for all Japanese anime rankings, but it does prove a point. Their group taste is significantly different than MALs group taste (and IMO they have better taste).

I also think one of the huge flaws in MAL that has to be accounted for is that ratings for subbed and dubbed versions of anime aren't separated. An anime that is an 8 subbed can easily become a 7 dubbed. MAL has nothing to compensate for this problem. It's no different than how the PC version of a game might be terrible due to being a bad port of a console game (or visa-versa), even if that game on console was fantastic and highly rated. Sites like Metacritic separate the ratings based on platform. I really think MAL should do the same based on subs and dubs. You could still have an overall combined rating, but it would be interesting and possibly enlightening to see the separate sub and dub ratings.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Feb 6, 2018 2:18 AM

Jul 2016
Turns out Love Live is to the Japanese anime community what Gintama is to MAL.

In all seriousness, as is the case anywhere in the world, popularity is going to be a gigantic factor. In a country where people aren't constantly discussing things like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note it's hardly surprising that they won't have the same positive skew as they do over here. Likewise, they don't have the same negative backlash from sections of their community to attach to SAO and Love Live. It clearly just never became a thing over there.
TheRealBailey_Feb 6, 2018 2:24 AM
Feb 6, 2018 12:25 PM
Dec 2017
Hunter x Hunter should be no 1
Mar 25, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2017
tsubasalover said:
The list for ranks 101 to 400 has also been announced on the official website prior to the announcement.

I can't find death note even in this rankings and I have to say how death note is the most popular in the world but is not even 400 in Japan (how death note became popular?!)

And when you compare these two (http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/female.html & http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/male.html) the overall rankings is similar to female rankings and this shows that most of the voters were females and it's not accurate
mhkrMar 25, 2018 4:47 PM
Mar 26, 2018 10:59 AM

Jan 2018
Pokemon is one the #85 place behind, so that means Pokemon isn't really popular in Japan at all, right?

And the Pokemon movie Giratina and the Sky Warriers was really good man, being place on the top #53 was really good!!!

And the Digimon (one of my favorite chilldhood shows) being on #18 place was pretty good, because of Digital works and the animals creatures as digital beings!!!

(Sorry for my poor english)
Apr 4, 2018 10:42 PM
Jan 2018
Whoa ...Naruto isn't top 100?? Tell me this list isn't in order
May 15, 2018 10:27 PM
Apr 2018
To the people who are thinking why isn't there favorite shounen anime not in the #top100 list because people there have expose to manga and light novels.
If you observe the list properly then you will see that the animes whose manga are very popular are placed quite low on the list (or are not in the list xD)
May 15, 2018 10:51 PM

Apr 2017
At least Madoka in the Top 3.

:3
Aug 8, 2018 7:32 AM
Mar 2014
love live at number four and five

ah, more men of culture, i see
Aug 8, 2018 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
Lol the fact that a Pokemon movie ranks above Kimi no Na Wa among others speaks volumes.
Aug 27, 2018 5:59 AM
Aug 2018
Lol, most of the bottom 50 is better than the top 10. Nice to see Gundam and Sakura so high in the list tho.
Sep 6, 2018 8:09 AM

Aug 2018
STROOOOONGLY disagree with the list, but i see why most of those would be high up, except... joker game srsly? why?
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Sep 20, 2018 6:59 AM
Jul 2010
Of course the ratings of anime in Japan would be different from other countries, but to all guys here who try to open our eyes by saying this I'd like to mention one thing - judging from the grand title 'one hundred years of anime', isn't this supposed to be a top list of all anime ever aired before 2016? And if yes, then most fans are angry not simply because their favorite piece is not № 1, but rather because the top listed titles do not seem to be real standouts in the whole century of anime history. Since the twitter posts are protected and the original NHK link is expired, I can not trace the original survey, so this is only a suggestion, but I do believe a probable one.
Oct 1, 2018 1:50 AM
Sep 2017
Wow...that's one useless Top 100 anime list
Oct 16, 2018 11:04 PM

Aug 2017
I'm glad that Japan loves Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. God bless Japan.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 17, 2018 12:23 PM
May 2017
Nice Haikyuu in the 20s
[]()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()[]
Pringles
Nov 18, 2018 8:42 PM

Nov 2018
I'm a bit disappointed Violet Evergarden didn't make it into the list. I have lost my faith in this humanity.
Ethan_07Nov 18, 2018 8:52 PM
Nov 18, 2018 8:46 PM

Oct 2018
Ethan_07 said:
I'm a bit disappointed Violet Evergarden didn't make it into the list. I have lost my faith in this humanity.

This was before Violet Evergarden

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Nov 25, 2018 9:15 AM

Apr 2018
Koe no Katachi, Death Note, Oregairu...?
Dec 7, 2018 2:11 PM

Jun 2016
Siyara said:

Useless in what way? The purpose of this list is to let people know which anime are favoured in Japan. That purpose was accomplished, so it's not useless. Did you mean to say you don't like the anime in this list? What would you have preferred to see?
Dec 7, 2018 3:45 PM

Sep 2018
I love how two different animes take up most of the top 10. Xd
Dec 7, 2018 6:44 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Wow the Japanese have awful taste in Anime.
Dec 8, 2018 3:11 AM

Jul 2016
I'm surprised that people still reply to this thread even though this thread was made 1 years ago.......
Dec 8, 2018 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
I'm rather surprised about the lack of Saint Seiya. It inspired so many other series that it should have been here... even One Piece was partially influenced by it, and a ton of series reference it in one way or another (Gintama outright parodies it, and a few series use the poses and such).

At least The Legend of Galactic Heroes, Gundam, Yamato, Bebop, Macross, Ghibli films, Sailor Moon, One Piece, Votoms, Nadia, Jojo and Akira made it.

Honestly, though... why add Sailor Moon and cut Saint Seiya? Sailor Moon is basically a genderswapped version of the latter - they're the origin for the whole magical boy/girl genre.
"Everything is idiocy if you choose to look at it in the proper light." -Belgarath, Pawn of Prophecy (David Eddings)

My Candies:
Dec 10, 2018 10:55 AM
Sep 2018
@TodAboT
Omg SAO at top 20 best anime of all time.
Wowoow
Dec 10, 2018 10:59 AM
Jan 2018
sunnykappa said:
@TodAboT
Omg SAO at top 20 best anime of all time.
Wowoow

Now you are just spamming.
Stop.
Dec 13, 2018 5:35 AM

Mar 2017
Oh my, I never expected love live to be that popular..
Maybe I've been living under a rock
Dec 22, 2018 10:54 PM

Aug 2010
Cashdax said:
HAHAHAH, people saying everyone else's taste but theirs is shit XD

HAHAHA - I was scrolling down, reading posts, thinking, "I wonder why everyone thinks they're qualified to judge this list - all they're doing is saying everyone else's taste is shit..." and then I read your post. As they say, great minds think alike.
Jan 22, 2019 3:18 AM

Dec 2016
Beldarius said:
I'm rather surprised about the lack of Saint Seiya. It inspired so many other series that it should have been here... even One Piece was partially influenced by it, and a ton of series reference it in one way or another (Gintama outright parodies it, and a few series use the poses and such).

At least The Legend of Galactic Heroes, Gundam, Yamato, Bebop, Macross, Ghibli films, Sailor Moon, One Piece, Votoms, Nadia, Jojo and Akira made it.

Honestly, though... why add Sailor Moon and cut Saint Seiya? Sailor Moon is basically a genderswapped version of the latter - they're the origin for the whole magical boy/girl genre.

SS placed 123 in this ranking, not that bad considering the excessive recency bias of it and the fact that it was never that popular in Japan back in the 80s to begin with, and pretty good when considering that it placed even ahead of more popular shonens like DB, Naruto and Bleach...
Jan 23, 2019 5:30 AM

Jan 2010
Can't believe Naruto is not on the list.
Jan 26, 2019 3:17 PM

Jan 2019
PoeticJustice said:
bad list.

Madoka
Attack on Titan

Definitely shouldnt even be on here. wtf tiger and bunny?

AoT is one of the many who deserved to be in top 100. Not like Hibike or SAO. Only a hater would say such a thing. But yeah this is MAL.
MomentayJan 26, 2019 3:29 PM
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Jan 30, 2019 1:37 AM

Feb 2016
Momentay said:
PoeticJustice said:
bad list.

Madoka
Attack on Titan

Definitely shouldnt even be on here. wtf tiger and bunny?

AoT is one of the many who deserved to be in top 100. Not like Hibike or SAO. Only a hater would say such a thing. But yeah this is MAL.

Hibike deserved to be there
but yeah this is mal member
Jan 30, 2019 11:47 AM
Mar 2016
This list is a pure JAPANESE list of Anime.
But Anime is not just for Japan anymore.
There is a HUGE community of non-japanese anime fans (which is obvious), so it's pointless getting triggered by it.
Irony is, I AM getting triggered by it!
Really, What the F**K is tiger and bunny?
Feb 7, 2019 6:30 PM

Jan 2008
Arkab said:
SS placed 123 in this ranking, not that bad considering the excessive recency bias of it and the fact that it was never that popular in Japan back in the 80s to begin with, and pretty good when considering that it placed even ahead of more popular shonens like DB, Naruto and Bleach...

To be fair, Bleach kind of stopped being popular when the whole X-Cution arc started. At least I completely gave up on the franchise by then. ...I haven't even started on Naruto or Dragon Ball, yet Saint Seiya is my favorite franchise. I guess that's pretty weird for a westerner, but eh, my country's anime and manga selection has always been limited.

...Oh hey, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers / Ronin Warriors is rank 173. That's surprisingly high. It ranked higher than Dragon Ball (255), Dragon Ball Z (176), Naruto (288), Naruto Shippuden (218) and Boku no Hero Academia (242).

Wait... WAIT, Cyber Formula is rank 145? Are you telling me one of the most obscure Sunrise series actually outranked Naruto and DBZ? Cyber Formula is my favorite anime alongside Saint Seiya, so this makes me happy. Speaking of "recency bias", it's rather impressive how this obscure show from 1991 is that high up.
BeldariusFeb 7, 2019 6:39 PM
"Everything is idiocy if you choose to look at it in the proper light." -Belgarath, Pawn of Prophecy (David Eddings)

My Candies:
Feb 16, 2019 4:36 AM
Feb 2018
Gintama , Madoka Magica , Code Geass Ranked high, the only wtf I could think of is Sword Art Online at top 20 and I didn't see T&B so I can't judge it.
But in general it's a decent list with a few flaws.

only shounen fuccbois/Normies will find the entire list is garbage
Feb 16, 2019 4:56 AM
Feb 2018
Siyara said:

well... you aren't any better though
Feb 16, 2019 5:07 AM
Feb 2018
Shioxus said:
The biggest difference between our top 100 and the Japanese top 100 is pretty simple (IMO). Their's seems much more based on enjoyment. Love Live and Tiger and Bunny wouldn't be that high on any voting list from the West because they aren't deep and meaningful shows.

Despite elitists calling every anime viewer that hasn't seen their favorite anime casuals, in the West viewers prefer things that have some meaning behind them.

That, and a large majority of western viewers like Shounen anime because they are "cool" and "hype".

Aside from Gintama, which in and of itself is a parody of all things shounen more than an actual shounen, there isn't even 1 shounen anime in the top 20 for the Japanese list. It seems to me that the Japanese aren't as caught up in shounen hype, as it's something most viewers (there) outgrow.

Not to say shounen and meaningful anime are bad or wrong to enjoy, but those are the two main reason our lists are so different.

In the US at least, if I were to post on almost any anime site that Love Live was my favorite anime (it's not) then I'd just get a bunch of elitists coming in explaining to me how wrong I am, and shounen fans telling me that their favorite shounen is better. Just take a look at any of the various anime threads on this site. Almost all of them devolve into elitists talking down to people and shounen fans with poorly constructed posts (and usually poor English) telling people their shounen is better.

This thread itself is almost entirely just those two fanbases talking about the Japanese having poor taste and not understanding the medium that they themselves created.

I'm not talking down to Western fans in general, look at my top 5 list. 4 of those anime are pretty common to see on top 5 lists on this site, so I'm no different (the exception being Beck, as I don't see that on many people's Top 5 lists).

My main point here is that people acting outraged because the Japanese list doesn't conform to the Western anime tastes is incredibly silly because we want much different things out of our anime than the Japanese audiences do.

With all that out of the way, I am surprised to see Tiger & Bunny at #1. Didn't know it was that popular like... anywhere? Haven't seen it myself. Also, thought I'd see Doraemon in the top 20 since I constantly hear people in the US talking about how popular it is in Japan. All in all this is an interesting list! I'll have to check out some anime off of it!

I think reason why you barley see any Shonen in the top 25 is Japanese Anime viewers view Shonen the same as gamers (I hate to say that word) view Fortnite , and think that Fortnite is the cancer of gaming.
Feb 22, 2019 10:49 AM

Nov 2016
East or west we can all agree that Gintama should be #1 for no apparent reason.
Feb 24, 2019 12:31 AM

Jan 2017
I'm astonished how far up Psycho Pass is.
Feb 25, 2019 7:25 AM
Jan 2019
Lmao my favorite anime got #69
Apr 28, 2019 3:29 AM

Nov 2007
animate Times announced best anime of Heisei era and Tiger & Bunny also tops in it. UtaPri is on the highest for idol anime (#3 in general)
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1556427695
tsubasaloverApr 28, 2019 3:42 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 29, 2019 1:39 AM

Mar 2008
I had underestimated how popular Digimon is in Japan making it in top 20.
May 4, 2019 4:48 PM
Jan 2008
Here's one more user who hadn't even heard of Tiger & Bunny which holds 3 places in top 10. To be honest, I haven't bothered to fully watch any of the top 10 anime on this list.

It looks like the original Mainichi link doesn't work anymore, so now you can find the whole list in Japanese [url=https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ニッポンアニメ100#ベスト・アニメ100] here on Wikipedia[/url]. The page also has separate lists for female (on right) and male voters (in the middle) in addition to the general one in Top100. You can click the divided lists open under the title 総合順位.

If we squeeze the list a bit (by combining the franchise to the highest rank it got), we can fit Evangelion(!!) and get a Top10 as follows:

#1 Tiger & Bunny (x3)
#2 Madoka★Magica (+1)
#3 Love Live! (x3 +1)
#4 Code Geass (+1)
#5 Cardcaptor Sakura
#6 Osomatsu-san
#7 Gintama
#8 Joker Game
#9 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
#10 Neon Genesis Evangelion

I'm glad that also a few of my other favorites are so high like Clannad: After Story, Natsume Yuujinchou, FMA: Brotherhood, Psycho-Pass, and yes, even SAO. The only thing I'm a bit sad about is the lack of Parasyte, but I'm glad it got to the presentative animes of the year in that other listing.

Am I allowed to post without an avatar?
May 16, 2019 2:21 PM

May 2019
Hunter X hunter is in 84th place and FMAB is in 27th place. What even is this list? Not to mention sword art online is higher on the list than Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate... It's not a bad show but better than Cowboy bebop?
May 20, 2019 8:58 PM

Sep 2016
*16 Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?

I see NHK is a rabbit of culture as well
Jun 6, 2019 7:15 PM

Jan 2018
*12 Joker Game

Looks like Japan still does have that war sentiment.
Sep 20, 2019 3:19 PM
Sep 2017
Very interesting list indeed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 46 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
46 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
5 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.