Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 10, 2018 7:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, that hooded Kaiji girl Yuuta encountered in the alleyway is freaky. Even with a cast of weird characters in this show, I still find her bizarre.

I don't think she's trustworthy at all. Even among the strange episodes in this series, I find this one to be the strangest.

Stark700Nov 10, 2018 10:55 AM
Nov 10, 2018 8:56 AM
Oct 2018
lot of reveal.
hype for the next episode.
that loli is gonna have important role i guess.
Nov 10, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2014
So much stuff revealed. This story is getting interesting.
Good to see Akane isn't last boss, there is still hope for her.

Is that hooded kaiju a girl? It seemed like one, but considering height it could as well be a kid boy.

JustAnotherShiroNov 10, 2018 11:14 AM
Nov 10, 2018 11:13 AM

Jan 2018
So that was Yuuta's first date, right?
Tsunshine-ChrisNov 10, 2018 11:19 AM
Nov 10, 2018 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
no mecha action this week but just a human battle sakuga this time

this episode revealed a lot, so they are like trap in a city eh and Akane made that city, but if Akane is their god then why Yuta and others are not affected by brainwashing or amnesia whenever Akane rebuilt the city, but Yuta already have amnesia anyway

there is a drop in animation quality in this episode too but not that bad
Nov 10, 2018 11:15 AM

Apr 2016
Best episode so far.

So basically, a bunch of kids with big ass robot fighting against God ? I was expecting nothing less from Trigger. This show is slowly but surely becoming my fav of this season.
Nov 10, 2018 11:19 AM

Dec 2017
why the fuck she invites a random ass middle-schooler sneaking around garbage cans to her house for bath? sasuga animu logic
also, the plot thickens (not really, it's still kinda shit). some kind of matrix level of rip-off
Nov 10, 2018 11:29 AM

Jan 2009
uninstallthegame said:
why the fuck she invites a random ass middle-schooler sneaking around garbage cans to her house for bath? sasuga animu logic
also, the plot thickens (not really, it's still kinda shit). some kind of matrix level of rip-off

the original Gridman show was release way before The Matrix

virtual/computer world plots started way before The Matrix was release
Nov 10, 2018 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Somehow, the plot give me a "the Big O" vibe, evnthough the resemblance is pretty little.

And it feels like this is not a reboot bout actually a sequal.
Nov 10, 2018 11:46 AM

Dec 2017
deg said:
uninstallthegame said:

hm, if you take it that way, then yeah. the original gridman came out 6 years earlier than matrix. i tend to forget about that it's based off a tokusatsu. nevertheless, the premise isn't looking any better than what matrix had anyways. but well, as expected of kids show level of plot development
Nov 10, 2018 11:53 AM

Oct 2013
So Akane was basically playing Minecraft the whole time huh
Nov 10, 2018 11:55 AM

Jan 2009
uninstallthegame said:
deg said:

hm, if you take it that way, then yeah. the original gridman came out 6 years earlier than matrix. i tend to forget about that it's based off a tokusatsu. nevertheless, the premise isn't looking any better than what matrix had anyways. but well, as expected of kids show level of plot development

lol i would not expect a complex plot on this one since as you said this show is base on a kids show in the year 1990s anyway
Nov 10, 2018 12:15 PM

Feb 2017
Akane is still and ass to anti, looks like main villain is tired of failing underlings like Akane and anti so he might just start coming out of the shadows...

Nov 10, 2018 12:18 PM

Jul 2015
Please tell me, that this 3D sequence looked so bad on purpose.

Nov 10, 2018 12:26 PM

Jul 2017
Not a bad episode. Lot of exposition in this one that was much needed.
Nov 10, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode with some cool dramatic moments. They opened up a lot of important revelations pretty early that makes me curious how things will develop on the rest half. There are some mysteries still need to be delve but am sure those will get addressed at this rate. This show has been going strange which perhaps mostly has to do with different storyboard writer for each episodes.

That retro 3d moment was pretty nice to watch lol.
Nov 10, 2018 12:46 PM

Jun 2017
At long last the wham revelation makes its debut. Now its time to wait and see if it actually does something interesting with it
Nov 10, 2018 1:00 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, wow, and just wow.
This was such a good episode oh my god. It went full NGE.

AOTS
Period
Nov 10, 2018 1:01 PM
Jul 2016
Anyone else catch Inferno Cop's OP playing in the shop Rikka was in before meeting up with Anti?
Nov 10, 2018 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
Everyone knows she's up on the waifu race..

But deep down we know that Akane Shinjo is...

Btw that sound spirits seeking inside the heart thingy was cringy. And Anti being anti was too damn hilarious.

Also give it up for the best support...
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 10, 2018 1:02 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
All of the above I agree with, but damn hearing Rikka (them thighs) listening to the Inferno Cop OST on her music player made my day. And I loved that Rei Ayanami big eyes reference too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 10, 2018 1:19 PM

Jul 2017
Honestly getting tired of Rikka's shit. She feeds what she thinks is some random homeless middle schooler and then even invites him into her house where she gives him a bath but she can't stop being an awkward bitch to Yuta for something that he doesn't even know he did because she won't tell him? Her thighs aren't enough to salvage what a garbage character she's been.
Nov 10, 2018 1:28 PM

Jun 2017
Anti vs Max/Calibur was pretty dope..
Kinda hoped that Hibiki would be in rage after hearing that Akane is the one responsible for all the deaths
Nov 10, 2018 1:45 PM

May 2015
Intrigue? Suspense? When they gonna learn about who is who... fuck that, we'll just straight up tell everything introducing random kaiju girl and by the way, Akane is a god!
Yeah, right. I call this BS and lazy writing.

Nov 10, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2017
Ten said:
Intrigue? Suspense? When they gonna learn about who is who... fuck that, we'll just straight up tell everything introducing random kaiju girl and by the way, Akane is a god!

If I had to add anything to this I'd say that THAT intrigue isn't nearly as important as Yuta's missing memories and the new questions the Kaiju kid brings into the table. It could have been handled better, but we could have also had 3-4 episodes of Yuta & co wandering where the kaijus come from until the "big finale reveal" when the audience already knows since basically the beginning if the series.

Honestly, I find that kind of thing infinitely more annoying than pulling in a new character to answer that for them and move the plot forward while introducing some new stuff (she talks about her predecessor having some relation to Yuta even after she says that she's been there since before the city existed). If she doesn't appear again then I think we will all have a good reason to be angry at the series' writing, but until then lets wait and see.
Nov 10, 2018 2:23 PM

Aug 2017
I would like that the characters have concentrated more on discover who is the person responsible of the attacks or where the kaijus come from instead of pointless episodes. The 'reveal' has no impact.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 10, 2018 2:38 PM

Sep 2011
Okay, this one was a turning point for sure. Each member of our main trio had an important "contact" this time. Rikka met Anti, it isn't the first time, but she now knows for sure that his circumstances aren't normal, and he might come to care about her because she cared about him. Utsumi met Akane, who went after him to confirm her findings about Yuuta/Gridman. I loved to see them geeking out about Kaiju, and how she said that they shouldn't make episodes without Kaiju in a episode without a Kaiju. lol

And Yuuta met a Kaiju girl, an existence similar to Anti's, and this changed everything because now we know more about Akane. She created, and is playing with this city, but it makes you wonder how this happened, and if she created even the people, but I don't think so, there's an existence, that guy from her computer, using her for his own ends, whatever they may be, someone like Gridman. And I loved how Calibur, and his friends are always watching over our main trio, and junk, it's a nice detail because as we just saw they can be targeted directly like Yuuta was.
Nov 10, 2018 2:41 PM

Mar 2016
Sorta Zegapain-y, but I had that feeling form the start.

About Rikka and Anti which some people seem to have a problem with, Rikka doesn't need to feed/bathe Yuuta. The distinction between someone like Yuuta (even without considering his amnesia), a kid her age she has some sort of feelings for/connection with, and a 'kid' that inspires some sort of maternal instinct in her, should be obvious. And based on what the Kaiju said to Yuuta, perhaps there's a connection under the surface we haven't learned about yet. It's not the first time she's met Anti either.
syncrogazerNov 10, 2018 2:45 PM
Nov 10, 2018 3:13 PM
Sep 2017
Was it just me, or were a lot of the scenes specifically shot to have one of the main characters together with another character, like the scenes where Yuta/Kaiju girl and Rikka/Anti were sitting near the lake and where Akane was talking to Utsumi at the bookstore and bootleg Starbucks(these are just the obvious ones, there are plenty more)? I liked the weird 3D animation of Akane's actions, and the lack of big giant Gridman was a fun change of pace. I loved Samurai Calibur and Max vs Anti.
Nov 10, 2018 3:37 PM
Mar 2017
Today was a quite revealing episode and of a calmer air, until the end.
Today Utsumi, Rikka and Yuuta had unexpected encounters and they were quite interesting.
Akane sends Anti to assassinate Yuuta, since her suspicions that he is Gridman are confirmed.
Yuuta meets a Hooded Kaiju girl, who invites him to a date, during this, she reveals to him that Akane is the one who creates the Kaijus and the victims of the attacks are people that Akane hated, also reveals that Akane is like the goddess of the city and destroys and rebuilds it to your liking, besides she is helped by someone more dangerous (Alexis)
Rikka meets Anti again, she seems to be worried about him since she sees him as a normal child. Each episode Studio Trigger tries to show the spectacular thighs of Rikka and is always welcome.
Utsumi has a chat with Akane, the boy discovers that Akane likes the Kaijus, also the girl starts questioning him about Yuuta, she was practically asking him to say that Yuuta was Gridman, but Utsumi resists.
Anti finds Yuuta and attacks him, but Calibur and Max defend him, finally Max reasons with the Kaiju boy and tells him that Yuuta is only a human and he flees with his mistress and this punishes him in the same way as always.

Kaiju girl, Anti and Akane have the same eye color,although Akane's eyes are a little clearer, interesting.
Nov 10, 2018 5:18 PM
Dec 2013
Ten said:

Actually, she's not a random kaiju but a kaiju from the original series called Anoshiras (tecnically, she's Anoshiras the 2nd) this episode was basically saying that it is a sequel to the original tokusatsu rather than a brand new anime
Nov 10, 2018 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
Really liked this episode, everything is settled now, revelations struck me hard although I already knew some of them or were obvious. This was a pretty tense episode.

syncrogazer said:

About Rikka and Anti which some people seem to have a problem with, Rikka doesn't need to feed/bathe Yuuta. The distinction between someone like Yuuta (even without considering his amnesia), a kid her age she has some sort of feelings for/connection with, and a 'kid' that inspires some sort of maternal instinct in her, should be obvious.

Finally someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 10, 2018 6:27 PM

Oct 2018
That Inferno Cop theme, man. Rikka has great taste in music.

Nov 10, 2018 6:48 PM

Nov 2016
Akanes craziness is so cute, tho.

Cool revelations in this episode. Definitely wasn't expecting that the city was created by Akane and that she's kinda like the God of this virtual world.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 10, 2018 6:59 PM

Oct 2012
GustavoBD said:
Ten said:

Actually, she's not a random kaiju but a kaiju from the original series called Anoshiras (tecnically, she's Anoshiras the 2nd) this episode was basically saying that it is a sequel to the original tokusatsu rather than a brand new anime

This is assuming most people watching this are tokusatsu fans and have seen gridman, as opposed to trigger fans who just want darling in the franxx 2.0. Sadly, most people here are the latter.
Nov 10, 2018 7:54 PM

Nov 2017
- Today i realize... akane is a god that controled by a freak... what the hell kind of god is she?
- So... what the hell happen on the outside of the city? nothing out there?

GustavoBD said:
Ten said:

i think its more like.... alternative setting? or probably spin off?
Now Loading.....
Nov 10, 2018 9:45 PM

Aug 2013
She's a god
where to apply Akaneism?
Nov 10, 2018 9:49 PM

Mar 2018
Holy shit. This was probably my favourite episode so far, even if their wasn't any mecha. I literally changed my rating from 6 to 8 just from this episode. Honestly, that fight scene with Yuta and Anti was better than any other fight in this show. Really hope they show more fight scenes like this one.
Nov 11, 2018 1:44 AM

Aug 2013
GemTastical said:
GustavoBD said:

This is assuming most people watching this are tokusatsu fans and have seen gridman, as opposed to trigger fans who just want darling in the franxx 2.0. Sadly, most people here are the latter.

Nah DitF shouldn't exist. I'm just here to see if Trigger can actually give me something with a major wow factor.
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 11, 2018 1:46 AM

Aug 2013
So basically Akane is the edgier version of Haruhi Suzumiya? Idk. Saw some comments in the thread that this episode suggests Gridman to be a sequel to another series. No wonder why the plot seems empty to me. Welp...safe to say that at this point, I'm only gonna find myself more and more disappointed by looking for something that isn't there. Rikka is best girl and the power of her thighs brought me back but...eh.
DedPandaNov 11, 2018 1:51 AM
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 11, 2018 2:55 AM

May 2016
Okay, that was nothing amazing, but for the standards of this anime? Holy shit, something is actually happening! Reveals and stuff! No atrocious kaiju fights!

Are they actually going to make this interesting now? Now? Halfway through the show?

The alien thing that controls Akane though, when you see more than just the face, he looks like he's a part of the Inferno Cop bloodline.
Nov 11, 2018 3:16 AM

Nov 2010
This show should have been a masterpiece... if the childish robots don't show up.
Nov 11, 2018 4:35 AM

Oct 2015
I hadn't had this much fun since forever. I don't know why but with how basic everything is, I'm enjoying it hella hard
Nov 11, 2018 5:24 AM

Oct 2013
Finally, shit getting real.
Nov 11, 2018 7:43 AM

Jul 2015
On one hand, the reveal of Shinjo being the one creating the Kaijus was... anticlimactic... disappointing... pretty crappy, but I'm far more interested into just what kind of world they live in and the way it functions. I'm really curious as to the Kaiju's actual powers and stuff now and most of all... I really like the hooded Kaiju girl, she seems awesome and I wish I could see he transform and be creepy more.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 11, 2018 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
Absolutely loved it. Even though I know nothing bad was probably going to happen, made me aprehensive as fuck when Akane told Anti to kill Yuuta and also when the new kaiju appeared.
From the OP I thought she (it's a girl and, like someone else said, a kaiju named Anoshiras the Second that apparently is a reference to the original show) was gonna be a villain, but apparently not. So cute!. So creepy.

Great episode with lots of good moments. Rikka still acts cold towards Yuuta, since we're halfway through (already? T_T) the time for the revelation about why is approaching I guess. Poor Utsumi, he was so happy when he found out that Akane liked kaiju, but all she was interested in was Yuuta. Meta jokes hue.
That Akane was probably being used by the villain was expected, but I didn't know she was psycho Haruhi. What a great 3D presentation that was!
Nice fight at the end, Calibur is the best! We had already seen Calibur use a sword, but I didn't know Max had a weapon too (if it appeared before I don't remember), makes sense tbh, now I want to see best trap Borr fighting in human form too. Anti taking a weapon out of plain air was pretty cool too.
And how I love everytime Rikka's mom appear, I love her voice so much, Nonon for ever. <3
PleinairNov 12, 2018 3:05 PM

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Nov 11, 2018 10:42 AM

Jan 2015
I really love the tone/feel of this show. It's so refreshing, the realistic dialogue and the lack of music. Great episode
Nov 11, 2018 10:44 AM
Mar 2016
Can't wait for more of Rikka's thighs!
Nov 11, 2018 11:08 AM

Apr 2018
Holy shit that's a lot of things revealed. Akane's a god, Rikka isn't against giving random kids baths, an episode can be good without Gridman, fucking everyone eats those disgusting-looking hot dogs. Lots of reveals.

Nov 11, 2018 11:20 AM
Nov 2018
I am taking this from Reddit, where especially a guy named @Punch_Blade seems to be on top of things:

After seeing the concept art for the Kaiju loli, i'm guessing that she is most likely a descendant of the Kaiju Anoshiras from the original Gridman. She even has several music motifs, which could be a shout-out to the original kaiju that lived in a keyboard. It might be also why she thanks Yuta and owes him, as the original Anoshiras was spared by Gridman.

EDIT (forgot to add this): There are plenty of references to Transformers, per the usual. Rikka buys a wallet with a casing resembling the Matrix of Leadership, Akane's bag has the words "Till all are gone!", another reference to Shattered Glass Optimus Prime, and Anti, Max and Calibur all draw weapons (saw,mace,swords respectively) that their Transformers counterpart uses (SG/G1 Hot Rod, and AOE Grimlock and AOE Slug.) Other references include the Inferno Cop ED playing the Nova store speakers and a piano ver. of Yume no Hero that plays from Anoshiras II's earbuds.

By the way, the guy who buys the keyboard is identical to the original protagonist: Hair, face, beard.

In the credits she is referred to as "Kaiju Girl Anoshiras (the Second)".

Yeah, didn't see that until I saw it on twitter. Asides that, this episode basically confirms it being a sequel to the original. I'm thinking that brief scene with Vitt and person asking for the keyboard is another reference to that episode.

I'm surprised nobody noticed the name on the CCTV camera: Cat's Eye.

It was very meta overall (the stations having all the same name, the conversation between Akane and Sho) and we learned the rules of the game. Now let's see at which point Anti will rise in revolt as announced in the lyrics of the opening.

Considering the pattern used in the titles, I'm 96% sure we will get an episode titled 革・命 aka Revolution.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

161 by jonathan301 »»
Apr 16, 4:31 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.