Forum Settings
Forums

Sex appeal is important when designing a character. You agree or disagree?

New
Nov 9, 2018 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Recent information regarding SSSS.Gridman director decision when it comes to character design (more specifically the female main characters), spond some debate within the anime community when it comes whether or not this traits should be prioritised within the scope of a series. Link to the article: https://magnavalon.com/2018/10/15/asses-and-thighs-are-ssss-gridman-directors-priority-for-its-main-heroines-character-design/
Appearance has a heavy impact on how the character is perceived by the audience in a visual medium and as such having a good design is important. In the same way if we take away sexuality in its entirely, all we would be left with is a bunch of androgynous figures interaction with each other which is far from captivating.
So personaly i think that sex appeal by itself, while in certain series is not an requirement, it can very much make a character memorable and appealing. This is not me saying that any other factors like personality aren't important, they indeed are but a good design need to exist to complement that.
So i guess what i am trying to say is that we need more people like Masaru Sakamoto in the industry :)

But what is your take on this topic. Do you you agree with this approach or you disagree? Do you think it is ultimatly a marketing strategy to sell a product more so than anything else or the opposite? And more important do you like ass and thights or you are more so of a boobs person yourself? As usual i would like to hear you guys opinion on this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 9, 2018 8:34 AM

Mar 2017
gotta have a good reference for doujin artists amirite? ;)
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Nov 9, 2018 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
I disagree, it isn't important, it's just an extra and welcomed attribute to that character.

Also I like both ass and tits, can't choose
Nov 9, 2018 8:36 AM

May 2013
Marketing strategy? Definitely. It's no different than those shapely women that are plastered all over the fashion magazines.

More of asses and thighs person here, don't care much about boobs. Gunbuster for example is an OVA series where I absolutely adored how the females were drawn. None of that nonsensical gravity defying boobs. The characters instead were shown as fit/healthy and if I may add, realistically drawn. This SSSS Gridman seems to use the same design concept, might compel me to check it out :)

As to whether sex appeal makes a character memorable, I disagree. There are plenty of voluptuous or shapely female characters out there in a lot of anime who I don't even remember clearly. The appeal needs to complement the characterization, the latter of which carries a lot more weight as to whether a character remains memorable.
KreatorXNov 9, 2018 8:41 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Nov 9, 2018 8:46 AM

Feb 2018
If that sex appeal has an impact on that characters personality or the story of the show I agree otherwise no.
Nov 9, 2018 8:47 AM

Jan 2014
Well, any man would ogle a woman with a voluptuous figure doesn't matter if it's real or not and THIGH GAP ALL THE WAY!

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Nov 9, 2018 8:49 AM

Nov 2008
Yes, either you go for sex appeal or cuteness appeal, going for both is fine, but ugly designs are a big no-no.

Nov 9, 2018 8:52 AM

Jan 2016
I agree that even characters with a good personality need a good design, I disagree that that means they need to have sex appeal. Even most of the characters I'd call my "waifu", they generally don't have super high sex appeal even compared to other characters in the show, but rather have a design that helps convey who they are and that who they are is a personality I like.

That being said, sex appeal is a wonderful marketing strategy to get people to watch the series, and I can think of at least a few series where the only reason I gave them the time of day is because there was at least one character I found physically attractive and not because of the plot. As much as that pains me to admit.

Oh, and I definitely consider myself more of a boobs person. Sue me.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good

Aug 2015
First impressions are pretty important so I'll say yes
Creators want to make the characters more popular,so they often try to make their characters cute or sexy

They're also excellent doujin materials.Like I heard SSSS Gridman had doujins after the 2nd episode aired

Does it make them more memorable?To a certain extent.Personalities and development are also an important factors.One with sex appeal might be memorable for that season,but not for long if the other factors are weak
Narrator:
We're now at the natural habitat of some of the garbage human beings in the world.
And here,you see one of them is trying to say something intellectual and funny
But he failed.I guess he's too lame to do so.

Apr 2015
Not true.

No one in Ping Pong the Animation is screwable but it's still a solid series.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 9, 2018 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
Depends on the anime I guess, but usually when a character is already well-written then sex appeal is a great bonus.
Nov 9, 2018 8:57 AM

Jan 2018
Yes,it is.A girl with big boobs is usually more memorable than a girl with small ones.But that's not the most important thing,and that is personality.(that's why my favourite girls dont need to have big boobs,even though my name:))
Nov 9, 2018 9:13 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Absolutely not. Just create characters that fit your aesthetic and work for your story.

Fandoms will find anything sexy.
Nov 9, 2018 9:22 AM

Mar 2014
No. I'm sorry but you people are obsessed with your ecchi BS
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 9, 2018 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
While I don't really think it's a requirement, it certainly makes the characters appealing for certain people even if the other traits aren't worth talking about, see Jibril for example. Or even Mikasa, whose personality is bland, but attractive design makes her so popular mostly.
Nov 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
I think it should have a purpose. Sure, you could make a story fit into the fantasy-fulfillment where everyone is beautiful, but I don’t think that’s something that should always be prioritized. Outside of that case, giving a character sexual appeal should either be relevant to their personality or the story somehow, I think.

Also, as a side note, I’m not of the opinion that watermelon-sized boobs are “sexy”.
Nov 9, 2018 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
CatSoul said:
Not true.

No one in Ping Pong the Animation is screwable but it's still a solid series.

OBJECTION!

Well when it comes to Ping Pong i guess that series would follow more under the category of being memorable more so for its diferent animation style. Is a amazing character driven series yes, but i doubt the anime itself and its character would had been this recognized if it didnt had such a diferent style.
Tho i guess i agree that sex apeal doesnt play a big role there.
Nov 9, 2018 9:29 AM

Oct 2017
Sexual appeal is like the least important factor, rather I don't even consider it a factor when it comes to character design. I don't like characters solely due to their sexual appeal. I'd rather prefer characters with personalities, traits I like other than characters like Rias, etc. any day. Also, I've never liked To Love Ru characters due them being sexualized. I don't care about the sexualization. It's rather the other traits and factors that matter to me. Also, I doubt it even is a good marketing strategy. I mean sure it'll sell, but surely it won't be much. I've never given a thought about it... Also, appearance and sexual appeal are two different things. Sexual appeal is dependent upon the appearance. So if you take appearance away, sexual appeal ultimately fails. But if you take the sexual appeal away, the appearance remains unaffected. What I'm trying to say is appearance is independent of sexualization. Meaning even if you take it (the sexual appeal) away not a lot would change. And people would still find characters to be very attractive. Unless, of course, sexual appeal is the main thing that matters to you.

Also, I didn't bother reading the link you shared in your OP.
Nov 9, 2018 9:30 AM

Jan 2017
I think no one wants to make ugly looking female characters. Its just the matter of artstyle. If a person doesnt like artstyle, then he will find characters ugly. But artists will always try to make beautiful female characters according to that particular artstyle.

And i prefers thighs/legs and asses. They are salvation ;-)
Nov 9, 2018 9:32 AM

Oct 2014
I mean, this isn't Western animation. If you make your characters ugly then the otakus won't watch it and you'll have a hard time selling figures, pillows, keychains, or anything else that relies on the attachment the fewer would have with the appearance of the characters.

This being said, if you spend all of your time making the characters look pretty/sexy/handsome and don't put any effort into the bulk of the show then it's going to fall flat. You can get away with this if it's an adaptation since the story is already written for you, but if it's an original then you definitely shouldn't put your whole budget into character designs.

Locodol has very attractive characters, but the anime is so bland that it's not really worth watching. There are plenty of others like that.
Nov 9, 2018 9:39 AM

Sep 2016
SeidouTZ said:
what is your take on this topic? And more important do you like ass and thights or you are more so of a boobs person yourself? As usual i would like to hear you guys opinion on this.

Not gonna pretend that I checked out the link, not that it matters.
This is another one of those subjects where the real answer is "it depends".

It depends on the character, it depends on the type of show, it depends on if the character is a protagonist/antagonist/side character, and it depends on the main target demographic.
Obviously nobody really wants to watch a show with a cast of ugly characters, so making at least the main cast attractive is kinda a given.

Big anime tiddies for the win.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 9, 2018 10:26 AM

Feb 2010
Good to know that I can skip Gridman after all. I was on the fence about checking it out and if that's the main thing the show is focusing on, I can definitely do without it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 9, 2018 11:00 AM

Oct 2013
Depends on the show. A lot of my favorites honestly wouldn't be on that list if sex appeal was the main focus.
Nov 9, 2018 11:18 AM

Jul 2013
If we talk about an ecchi series or if the character is intended to be a seductive individual, then sex appeal is indeed improtant, since that is what the audience wants to begin with. For anime or characters that don't need those elements, I don't care it's the work of hentai artist to defile them after all :^)
Nov 9, 2018 11:20 AM

Sep 2018
I think it is not neccessary, but people do prefer characters that look good to ugly characters generally. It is useful to market the series.
Nov 9, 2018 11:55 AM
Jul 2017
Animes have to advertise too. And an atractive character design is the cheapest and fastest way to atract an audience, making them sexy is just a way to target the specific demographic you’re aiming for.
Nov 9, 2018 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
sssssssss gridman is a good example of a trash anime and with people watching it only for characters
answearing the question not necesserly looking at gridman score

Well...
Nov 9, 2018 12:41 PM

Oct 2012
disagree. source: kaiji, and his perfect character design.
Nov 9, 2018 1:32 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
When sex appeal is the only thing you focus on in your anime, then you know something’s wrong.

Comic_Sans said:
No. I'm sorry but you people are obsessed with your ecchi BS

^^^^^^
Nov 9, 2018 1:35 PM

Jan 2009
obviously since sex sells and thats why all anime main characters are pretty at least
Nov 9, 2018 1:37 PM

May 2017
I think it always matters in an ecchi series...not so much in anything else.

Kuroshiro Ahegao #3542

Nov 9, 2018 1:37 PM

Jun 2015
This dude is out of his mind. Sex appeal should only be prioritized if it services the narrative or the character, like Lust or Faye Valentine. This guy is better off making ecchi if he truly thinks this way, and the people at Trigger would be morons to take his words to heart with everything they produce.
Nov 9, 2018 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Agreed.

It's natural for people to watch a show if they find a character(s) attractive. I don't get why the West are making their characters as ugly and as deformed as possible.
Nov 9, 2018 1:53 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
changelog said:
Agreed.

It's natural for people to watch a show if they find a character(s) attractive. I don't get why the West are making their characters as ugly and as deformed as possible.

Hey, some cartoon characters look quite nice.
Nov 9, 2018 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:

This being said, if you spend all of your time making the characters look pretty/sexy/handsome and don't put any effort into the bulk of the show then it's going to fall flat. You can get away with this if it's an adaptation since the story is already written for you, but if it's an original then you definitely shouldn't put your whole budget into character designs.

Locodol has very attractive characters, but the anime is so bland that it's not really worth watching. There are plenty of others like that.

Pullman said:
Good to know that I can skip Gridman after all. I was on the fence about checking it out and if that's the main thing the show is focusing on, I can definitely do without it.

I know that it may seem like i am devaluing SSSS.Gridman, but i am really not. Gridman is an amazing series (at least so far) that show a lot of care for the tokusatsu genre, it has an amazing production value with a lot attention to detain, great atmosphere and nice story pacing. The fact that the director is prioritizing "asses and thights" doesnt change that.
Nov 9, 2018 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
DepravedMagi said:
changelog said:
Agreed.

Hey, some cartoon characters look quite nice.

Of course lol, that was a joke.

There are some cartoons that I will always enjoy and love; such as Ben 10, Power Puff Girls, Star vs The Forces of Evil, and Chowder etc...
Nov 9, 2018 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
KatsutoSaki said:
Sexual appeal is like the least important factor, rather I don't even consider it a factor when it comes to character design. I don't like characters solely due to their sexual appeal. I'd rather prefer characters with personalities, traits I like other than characters like Rias, etc. any day. Also, I've never liked To Love Ru characters due them being sexualized. I don't care about the sexualization. It's rather the other traits and factors that matter to me. Also, I doubt it even is a good marketing strategy. I mean sure it'll sell, but surely it won't be much. I've never given a thought about it... Also, appearance and sexual appeal are two different things. Sexual appeal is dependent upon the appearance. So if you take appearance away, sexual appeal ultimately fails. But if you take the sexual appeal away, the appearance remains unaffected. What I'm trying to say is appearance is independent of sexualization. Meaning even if you take it (the sexual appeal) away not a lot would change. And people would still find characters to be very attractive. Unless, of course, sexual appeal is the main thing that matters to you.

Also, I didn't bother reading the link you shared in your OP.

Dont quote me on this but i am almost sure that merchandise of Nami (from One Piece) has been sold possibly a lot more so than any other fictional character in anime. Now you can say that is because she is a good character with an interesting backstory and a quirky personality sure, but one of the biggest reasons that everything related to her sells that well is because of her sexual assets.
Sexual apeal can still exist even if not connected to a character apperance and design. Voice acting for example, you can still find a voice pleasant to listen or seductive despite not actually be seeing the character itself, but i am deviating from the main topic wich is design.
My point was never that personality is any less important, i am just saing that a good design should weigh about the same. Now you as a consumer are free to have your own interpreation of a character ofc, but in my view if a design is not exactly pleasant to see i doubt that even the most brilliant written character can be found appealing.
Nov 9, 2018 3:43 PM

May 2018
The character design is closely connected to the atmosphere the author aims to achieve.
For example there is low chance for cute chibis in a story full with gruesome murders...except in the cases when the author wants to do some grotesque or use some counterpoint.

The same goes with sexy designs - they should be applied for the right stories. If not so or not some grotesque or not parody this will be some form of baiting.
Personally I stop to react on sexual baiting and begin to ignore it relatively fast...but there are other baits (like space, sci-fi, cool vehicles or mysteries) that can hold my attention longer even if the plot is not worth it.

You can use sex appeal when designing characters even against the setting but with moderation because people get bored easily by repetitive stimuli.
alshuNov 9, 2018 3:49 PM
Nov 9, 2018 3:49 PM

Oct 2018
Yeah, I think I like Fubuki from one punch man mainly bcuz of sex appeal. xD
Nov 9, 2018 4:03 PM

Apr 2015
It's important when you're designing an adult female character that you're planning to turn into toys aimed at males.

Otherwise Rose's and Rey's toys from Star wars would sell like hotcakes.
Nov 9, 2018 4:42 PM

Sep 2012
I agree that sex appeal can make a character a little bit more memorable but feel like it's not really that important. Well sex sells, so maybe it is. Really it depends on the type of show.

"we would be left with is a bunch of androgynous figures interaction." The first thing I thought was Land of the Lustrous, though tbh I think the minerals look more feminine than androgynous.
Nov 9, 2018 4:43 PM

May 2016
Only if sex appeal is part of their actual character.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Nov 9, 2018 4:45 PM
Jun 2015
The most important part for merchandise and selling products bar none. The characters at the very least have to be attractive. They don't have to be a walking fetishes like S.S.S. Gridman but they have to be pleasing to look at. I have seen stats of creator's that get 80% - 200% more sales for have an attractive women on the cover of their product. Its not absolutely required to succeed but it rarely hurts the sales unless you over do it. I am kind of ambivalent on this topic because I am aware of how persuasive this marketing tactic is but I will definitely be affected by it regardless. I can't think of a single anime that I really liked that had really ugly looking character designs.
Nov 9, 2018 5:20 PM

Mar 2017
One of the problems not just in anime but also with Hollywood is that too often characters are chosen and designed with too much emphasis on following the stereotypes in order to get audiences to zero in on the personalities of those characters, with insufficient consideration that doing so tends to reinforce those stereotypes without considering that in the real world there are many people who deviate from them.

For viewers, I think it's important to recognize that these stereotypes are just that, stereotypes, and are not representative of what you're likely to encounter in the real world.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Nov 9, 2018 5:24 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah, Gridman's director chose to put emphasis on the sex appeal of his characters.

Yeah, Gridman exists, it's an anime, it's part of the anime industry.

But you know, there is this thing about the anime industry being a large and heterogeneous amount of projects with different creators and different ideas and priorities behind. Gridman is one of them.

Don't generalize.
jal90Nov 9, 2018 5:39 PM
Nov 9, 2018 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
For female characters, sex appeal is important, yes.
Gridman (episode 1, at least; haven't watched more) is complete shit, but the director's philosophy for designing women is spot-on. Certain anime should be allowed to pander to men, and there is nothing wrong with designing the female characters within the show to be cute and sexy.

Spookster- said:
"we would be left with is a bunch of androgynous figures interaction." The first thing I thought was Land of the Lustrous, though tbh I think the minerals look more feminine than androgynous.

Androgynousness (androgyninity?) is impossible. You'll either be left with butch lesbians or effeminate men. Or just women, like, as you mentioned, Land of the Lustrous, or Steven Universe. Pukes.
Actually, androgyninityessness may be possible with animals. But with humans, we have evolved to distinguish between men and women.
removed-userNov 9, 2018 5:38 PM
Nov 9, 2018 5:30 PM
Mar 2017
This is hard for me choose but after thinking a lot I disagree. Yes it is important to have sex appeal if you want to attract the male viewers (ei boy nothing bad with good looking anime girls hehe) but in my opinion that's not what a character needs.
Nov 9, 2018 6:31 PM

Aug 2014
Depends what the target audition and the characters author want to be.

So if it sex appeal for the sake of fanservice it's basically ecchi to hentai.
Nov 9, 2018 6:52 PM

Mar 2018
cant agree more,, sex appeal is the thing that you need to release your full of expressions.

“That weekend the city blushed with a great heat wave but on
Monday it rained, cooling the ache in the street’s burn.”
― Daniel Amory, Minor Snobs
Nov 9, 2018 11:24 PM

May 2018
good story with cute characters = sold
good story with ugly characters = risk
bad story with cute characters = sold
bad story with ugly characters = nobody wants this shit

the answer? of course yes
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

2 by Dizzy-san »»
3 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

39 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

101 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

12 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.