Forum Settings
Forums

Do you agree on myanimelist rating/score or ranking on anime?

New
Nov 9, 2018 6:46 AM

Nov 2017
For me I agree because the rating is pretty much accurate. There's some anime that I think should be higher than X anime but overall it's ok.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2018 6:47 AM

Mar 2015
it's general consensus of it's viewer, and it stopped at that... you will get more if you qualify what is the audience who more likely to watch it, what it supposed to do, and what the generally of outside audience think of the trope it self used, but most of them not coming from the score it self, but by comparing lot of other shows score, the audience reception, and longevity of reception...

popularity is more useful however, like for example, stuff that has less than 100 viewer will likely only exist in very limited form, and only in Japanese..., something beyond 100 will has lot of access, but not always translated... anything that beyond 3000 is likely at least get subbed/dubbed English, legally or illegally... and beyond 10.000 views is very easy to search stuff, highly possible to get official access oversea...
KumaNov 9, 2018 6:57 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 9, 2018 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
I think we already had the exact topic, not long time ago, but mostly yes. I mean, anime that has an high score, it means it's a great anime,for the majority!
Nov 9, 2018 6:51 AM

Jul 2017
Yes, MAL scores are 100% accurate and if you don't oblige by them then you're some elitist scum
Nov 9, 2018 6:52 AM

Nov 2014
No, and my #1 reason is that MAL users believe shorter shows should be ranked lower just because they're short. A lot of these great shorts out here with pitiful scores for no real reason smh.

Plus, mean score = consensus which is fickle and driven by self-perpetuating hype.
Nov 9, 2018 7:08 AM
Jul 2015
UNKWONTONIC said:
For me I agree because the rating is pretty much accurate. There's some anime that I think should be higher than X anime but overall it's ok.

If you knew the way they have to rate all users...
Nov 9, 2018 7:08 AM

Dec 2017
yeah, my man. mal rating are the absolute. it's the definition of objectivity. if a show is above 8, you know it's good shit. if below 6, don't waste your time

i always look at the mean score of the title and rate it the same way because i have small brain to think for myself
Nov 9, 2018 7:09 AM

Sep 2017
Garzeys wing and ghost stories are better than most of the top 50
Nov 9, 2018 7:13 AM

Oct 2018
To me it really doesn't matter if an anime that I enjoyed has a low rating, or an anime with a high rating i didn't enjoy.

"Oh well, guess the majority didn't like it, but all that matters is I did"

Same goes for vice versa, if something that is popular that I don't believe should be, is what it is. one punch man

i'm a worm
Nov 9, 2018 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Why need to agree/disagree, those numbers are made by the community and not by MAL, the site just process and shows the data for us.
Nov 9, 2018 7:15 AM

Feb 2018
My ratings are much lower most of the time.
Also I think this is the second thread with this exact topic in the last two days.
Nov 9, 2018 7:36 AM

Jan 2016
It has it's quirks that you need to learn, but once you do it's a useful tool.

For example, shorts get lower scores than full length TV shows, older shows inherently have lower scores than modern ones, sequel scores are unreliable since a lot of people who didn't like season 1 won't be back for season 2, and generally shonen scores are overrated while slice of life are underrated, ecchi series get docked about a full point for being ecchi, really long series have way overinflated scores since only people who got through a sizeable chunk can contribute, and single episode OVAs of an existing series are generally lower rated even if they're comparable to the main series content.

That's a lot of exceptions I've learned over time, and even then it's not always accurate, but I find that keeping stuff like that in mind, it's a fairly useful metric. I find stuff about an 8 tends to hold up pretty well barring the exceptions above, stuff with a 7 usually is fine, sometimes is a classic and sometimes is garbage, but usually the top rated review scores help filter out which is which, and stuff with a high 6 sometimes is just being hated on, but generally I find doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere.

What I just said is certainly not true 100% of the time, but if you have no other information to go off of, it's useful enough. But score alone is at best a somewhat useful tool, not any sort of be all end all
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 9, 2018 7:42 AM

Apr 2018
Of course i do since my affinity with MAL is 99.99%

If ousama games didn't exist it would have been 100%
Nov 9, 2018 8:01 AM

Aug 2018
I don't have to agree or disagree, the people have voted and I have to respect the results.
Nov 9, 2018 8:02 AM

Aug 2018
Its a reasonable guide. Keeping my tastes in mind, most of the ratings have held up well
Nov 9, 2018 8:04 AM

Aug 2018
Well, it's pretty simple, rate from 1 to 10. The people vote and you have a score. Nobody can complain about that. But you have to keep in mind the kind of people that vote some shows, the more popular the show is the more newcomers that knows nothing about anime has. The new shows have that issue and suffer even more.
Nov 9, 2018 8:07 AM

Oct 2017
I'm indifferent about the ratings or the rankings on MAL.
Nov 9, 2018 8:13 AM

Jul 2017
It only shows what the general user like or dislike
But my preference is not similar to other users of this site
So it has relatively little value to me as a reference
Nov 9, 2018 9:06 AM

Sep 2016
@UNKWONTONIC

I had a different snarky reply all typed out, but at the last minute I decided not to criticize OP & this useless thread with it.
Instead, I'll just congratulate the OP.

Thank you for playing "What is the Most Pointless Thread You Can Come Up With?"
Congratulations! You have achieved the level of 'Runner-Up' in the Non-Bait category.
Your name has been entered in the '2nd-Chance Special Mention Drawing', which will be held on December 31st.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 9, 2018 9:10 AM

May 2017
No they're made by strangers and my mom told me to don't trust strangers.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Nov 9, 2018 9:28 AM

Apr 2015
Bananya only sits at a 6.79 because some people think it's funny to degrade the name of the Lord.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 9, 2018 9:36 AM

Aug 2013
I agree only with my own ratings, so no. I don't care about any ratings.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 9, 2018 10:22 AM

Feb 2010
Obviously noone will agree with the exact rankings or every decimal, but looking at the big picture and setting aside a few genres/types of shows that MAL doesn't like, they're pretty agreeable. On average 8+ rated shows are better than 7-8 rated shows which are better than 6-7 rated shows etc...

Inb4 some retard mentions a few examples that are exceptions and think that means anything when we're talking about averaging out thousands of titles.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 9, 2018 10:31 AM

Apr 2016
Obviously not. That's why we have a system where we give whatever rating we want to an anime. I agree with my own scores. Sometimes.
Nov 9, 2018 10:43 AM

Jul 2017
Huntik said:
I think we already had the exact topic, not long time ago, but mostly yes. I mean, anime that has an high score, it means it's a great anime,for the majority!
we already had this kind of topic forever and we had hundreds of them.
and having a high score doens't mean an anime is great but you did say for the majority so ye
Nov 9, 2018 10:51 AM

Oct 2014
I don't agree with critic or audience scores, but i trust critic scores much more than audience, problem is that MAL only has audience scores.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Nov 9, 2018 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
i dont really bother about it to be honest
Nov 9, 2018 12:29 PM

Dec 2012
I don't pay any attention to them, so who knows.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 9, 2018 12:34 PM

Nov 2016
I think it's balanced. Maybe fixing things that are not very significant.
Nov 9, 2018 2:51 PM
Aug 2016
I don't give a shit about it. It has no actual value.
Nov 9, 2018 4:14 PM

Jan 2018
Never trust any ratings you see online that aren't backed up by a thorough review.
Nov 9, 2018 4:30 PM

Sep 2012
It's pretty decent but at the same time my top five anime of the season doesn't align with the MAL's highest rated of the season at all besides Jojo's p5.

I think that MAL has a similar level of compatibility with me as sites like Gamespot and IGN in that while there is a lot of media I don't particularly care for I can see why the ratings for "X" thing are high - at least for the most part.
Nov 9, 2018 9:28 PM

Jun 2017
The most obvious thing that shows the MAL score has no value is Pingu in the City. I'm not saying it's bad but people rate it without even watching the show and that's bad
Nov 9, 2018 9:37 PM

Oct 2017
I think most sequel and romance series got way over-rated in Mal.

It's like people can easily forgive their flaws as long as their pairing comes true, which is just silly mentality.
Nov 9, 2018 10:05 PM

May 2009
UNKWONTONIC said:

I find that it generally reflects the western anime fandom consensus.

Which means that:
* More recent shows are on average rated higher than older shows.
* More popular shows are on average rated higher than less popular shows.
* The most popular/highest-rated shows are biased toward seinen, action, and thriller categories.

For me, personally, I find it pretty useless.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 9, 2018 10:12 PM

Oct 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
UNKWONTONIC said:

Which means that:

* The most popular/highest-rated shows are biased toward seinen, action, and thriller categories.

Biased toward sequels and romance actually. (For sequal, Jump's seual/ long running ones are especially more biased)

Nov 9, 2018 10:28 PM
Jul 2015
Such a particularly idiot question i think.
Nov 9, 2018 10:29 PM

May 2009
Ventus_S said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Which means that:

Biased toward sequels and romance actually. (For sequal, Jump's seual/ long running ones are especially more biased)

I didn't know about romance series (probably since they're harder to pick out visually), but yeah good point about sequels.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 10, 2018 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
yeah because i rank the anime i watch based on it
Nov 10, 2018 4:59 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
No, but that's why I score things myself.
I have a somewhat different taste.
Nov 10, 2018 5:18 AM

Sep 2018
I definitely disagree with the top 100. Their are many titles I disagree with like Monogatari season 2, Gintama, Your Name, A Silent Voice,Owarimonogatari, Mushishi season 2, Hero Academia season 2, Hero Academia season 3, Saiki Kusuo season 2, Tatami Galaxy, Natsume Book of friends
Pingu, Aria the Origination, Erased, One Piece, and Nichijou in which none of these are top 100 material imo.
Nov 10, 2018 5:21 AM

Sep 2017
MAL ratings are facts because FMAB is #1.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Nov 10, 2018 5:30 AM

Nov 2016
I can agree with it overall, it's not perfect, but the most accurate method we got.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 12, 2018 8:51 PM

May 2017
I feel like a lot of people here are kinda hardasses when it comes to rating a show. Makes it feel like half the people here are kinda snotty. Maybe i'm just too judgemental tho?
Nov 12, 2018 9:08 PM

Oct 2010
absolutely not. MAL scores are **complete** and **utter** garbage. Any scores in general

the way scores work and the way ' democracy ' works is that everyone has an equal vote and that concept is complete and utter bullshit. It's like asking a doctor and a peasant a question about medicine and having both of their voices be worth the same.

A guy who's only seen 3 animes can rate them with 10 and then a guy that's seen 3000 animes has the same power as him and this concept and idea makes **no sense whatsoever**. It's moronic. You may argue that it's subjective but the chances are that the guy who's only seen 3 animes will not keep his score the same after he sees 100 animes cus then he'll know better, he'll have better judgement and better expectations. A kid can be fascinated by a horribly outdated gun but to a soldier this gun is garbage and then if war every arises it's obvious that the soldier's opinion should matter way more and yet any of these scores (or democracy as a concept) don't actually consider the credibility of the voter.

There's no such requirement as " qualified to judge anime quality " but kids are more easily fascinated by stuff and overreact to it way more. They don't consider and see as many angles and judge in a more binary way which isn't very accurate and good... at least compared to someone more qualified.

on top of all of this, the average person is very easily manipulated and influenced and people are easily peer-pressured into " liking " stuff which results into giving high rating to more popular things only cause you see them in more places so they must be good and more people talk about them and so on and there are all sorts of biases and things that manipulate your mind to make you look at things the wrong way and miss obvious flaws and issues which you could probably clearly see if not for X or Y factors. Popular anime gets higher score by default and it's not vice versa. It doesn't become popular because it's good (obviously there are exceptions)

im sure if you take someone completely innocent and let him watch an anime with a score of 6.5 and a score of 8.5 (average on mal) and this person has some objectivity and is reasonable and has absolutely zero bias in any way for both shows and then you do this enough times (To enough different people) and have them rate the anime for you then the scores won't be as clear as they are on lists. Advertisement matters way too much and popularity based on words does as well.

My " favorite " anime had a score of 6.8 on MAL as it was airing and only 3-4 episodes were out and the story wasn't even remotely clarified and you were merely getting introduced into the world, the story and the unique way they chose to portray it but you only got answers towards the middle-end of the anime but many years later the anime's score never passed 7. It was rated as 6.8 before you even knew what the story is about and that was its final verdict despite the anime actually being incredibly good and almost perfect compared to all the other hundreds of animes i've seen. That's just an example. It wasn't properly advertised and had bad first impression and a word of mouth, probably a bunch of bloggers or influencers wrote their shitty reviews when they had only seen 1/10 of what it was about and then 30 people were influenced by it who then told to their friends and now when their friends turned on the show they had the very same bias and expectation from the start

Don't trust MAL (or any) scores. Don't even look at them when you start watching a show. Watch a show without any bias and be as objective as you can be and actually want to like the show, when it ends give it a rating and only then go see what other people have rated it and try to understand why (and you'll see that most people are idiots , but that's nothing new - just look at any sort of competition how there are merely a few individuals ahead of the bulk of competitors .. simply because people aren't equal in terms of abilities or intelligence)
lots of music -
Nov 12, 2018 9:14 PM
Apr 2016
MaskOfIce said:
It has it's quirks that you need to learn, but once you do it's a useful tool.

For example, shorts get lower scores than full length TV shows, older shows inherently have lower scores than modern ones, sequel scores are unreliable since a lot of people who didn't like season 1 won't be back for season 2, and generally shonen scores are overrated while slice of life are underrated, ecchi series get docked about a full point for being ecchi, really long series have way overinflated scores since only people who got through a sizeable chunk can contribute, and single episode OVAs of an existing series are generally lower rated even if they're comparable to the main series content.

That's a lot of exceptions I've learned over time, and even then it's not always accurate, but I find that keeping stuff like that in mind, it's a fairly useful metric. I find stuff about an 8 tends to hold up pretty well barring the exceptions above, stuff with a 7 usually is fine, sometimes is a classic and sometimes is garbage, but usually the top rated review scores help filter out which is which, and stuff with a high 6 sometimes is just being hated on, but generally I find doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere.

What I just said is certainly not true 100% of the time, but if you have no other information to go off of, it's useful enough. But score alone is at best a somewhat useful tool, not any sort of be all end all

This pretty much sums it up but on the other hand I think the scores are fair
Nov 12, 2018 9:21 PM
Apr 2016
The score may not be accurate but the reviews helps ALOT. Some reviews might be too harsh while others have too much praise. I make sure to read the negative and positive so I won't be disappointed cause I already saw it coming.
The sequels are the ones that are overrated but if you understand how the score works then you would understand why.
Nov 12, 2018 10:02 PM

Apr 2018
rohan121 said:
I definitely disagree with the top 100. Their are many titles I disagree with like Monogatari season 2, Gintama, Your Name, A Silent Voice,Owarimonogatari, Mushishi season 2, Hero Academia season 2, Hero Academia season 3, Saiki Kusuo season 2, Tatami Galaxy, Natsume Book of friends
Pingu, Aria the Origination, Erased, One Piece, and Nichijou in which none of these are top 100 material imo.

What are you talking about? Pingu is clearly a masterpiece and at the very minimum top 100 material.
Apr 19, 2020 6:17 AM

May 2019
if you had knew ishuzoku reviewer that ecchi anime pbs, you'd said MAL rating sys is bad as fuck
Apr 19, 2020 6:28 AM

Mar 2020
Short_Circut said:
Yes, MAL scores are 100% accurate and if you don't oblige by them then you're some elitist scum
yup, i too agree on this. this is by far the most reasonable reply.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

32 by Ex-Aid »»
8 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

50 by Ex-Aid »»
18 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

979 by Ixtiilii »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.