Forum Settings
Forums

The Indian princess who became a South Korean queen

New
Nov 5, 2018 1:03 AM
Oct 2018
The South Korean first lady, Kim Jung-sook, is in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh where she is visiting the ancient city of Ayodhya.

Ayodhya, which is best known as the birthplace of the Hindu god Ram, also however, holds special significance for some South Koreans - many believe they can trace their ancestry to the city.

This belief comes from several historical Korean stories which tells the story of an Indian princess - Suriratna - who married a South Korean king and started a dynasty.

What does the legend say?

According to the legend, Princess Suriratna, also known as Heo Hwang-ok, went to Korea in 48 AD, some 2000 years ago, and started the Karak dynasty by marrying a local king.

Some Chinese-language texts claim that the then King of Ayodhya had a dream where God ordered him to send his 16-year-old daughter in South Korea to marry King Kim Suro.

A popular South Korean book comprising fables and historical stories, Samguk Yusa (Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms), mentions that Queen Hwang-ok was the princess of "Ayuta" kingdom.

The royal couple prospered. They had 10 sons and both lived to be over a 150 years old.

An anthropologist named Kim Byung-mo Ayuta appeared to confirm the widely held belief that Ayuta was actually Ayodhya, as the two names are phonetically similar.

But there is no clear evidence to show that the princess even actually existed.

"Her origin story is considered to be mythical and is not considered to be history by academics," says David Cann of the BBC's Korean Service.

"There have been several fictional renditions of the story as there is plenty of room for imagination."

The Karak dynasty

Kim is a common surname in Korea and King Kim Suro is considered to be the father of the Kim clan which is based in Gimhae.

"While traditionally children in Korea take their father's surname, the queen is said to have been sad that her children could not bear her surname," says Minji Lee of the BBC Korean Service.

"The legend says that therefore King Suro allowed two of their sons to take her name (Heo), which is used to this day."

Today, historians say, descendants of the couple number more than six million, which is roughly about 10% of the South Korean population.

People from the Karak dynasty have also preserved the rocks that are said to have been used by the princess during her sea voyage to Korea to keep her boat stable.

Former South Korean president Kim-Dae Jung and former prime minister Kim Jong-Pil claim their ancestry to the Karak dynasty.

Is the legend popular in South Korea?

Some of our colleagues in the BBC Korean Service say that they have heard about this legend but don't believe it's a widely talked-about story because "it goes back so far in the past".

"I remember hearing about it when I was in primary school or junior high and my friends and I were fascinated how our ancestry involves someone from so far away," says Ms Lee.

Some say that there is speculation that the princess is actually from Thailand since Ayuta may actually be Thailand's Ayutthaya Kingdom.

Stories on the internet say that some people from Gimhae refer to this legend "like a family joke" especially if they have darker skin, attributing it to their "ancestor who may or may not have come from India".

"Some believe that while it may be true that she came from a 'southern country over an ocean' the story was heavily embellished when Buddhism took root in Korea," says Mr Cann, who also remembers going for a musical rendition of the legend as a child.

How has the legend impacted modern ties?

An agreement was signed to develop Ayodhya and Gimhae as sister cities in 2000.

Then in 2001, more than 100 historians and government representatives, including the North Korean ambassador to India, unveiled Queen Hwang-ok's memorial on the west bank of the River Saryu in Ayodhya.

Every year, people who claim to be from the queen's lineage come to Ayodhya to pay tribute to the princess at her motherland.

In 2016, a Korean delegation sent a proposal to the Uttar Pradesh government to further develop the memorial.

As part of her visit from 4 to 7 November, the first lady will attend a ceremony that marks a start on the upgrade of the monument - a joint project between South Korea and India.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46055285

6 million Koreans have descended from that couple . Is that even possible x_x
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 5, 2018 1:08 AM

Apr 2016
Are you that #proudtobeindian guy that was here not long ago ?
Nov 5, 2018 1:10 AM
Oct 2018
Swagernator said:

Who 😜 Not me . You are mistaking me for someone else .
Nov 5, 2018 3:16 AM

Jan 2018
So, Korea is an multicultural country, and some Korean have indian ancestry. Is it true, that South Korea is not an homogeneous country at all???
Nov 5, 2018 3:55 AM

Mar 2015
ahh.. uhh... this has been believed for centuries...

south east has the legendary r/datu/[d]hyang sima.... the eastern trade is that big.. japan also has one IIRC...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 5, 2018 7:55 AM

Jul 2015
down with the monarchy

down with the monarchy

power to the people

"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Nov 5, 2018 8:24 AM
Oct 2018
Railey2 said:
down with the monarchy

down with the monarchy

power to the people

back to monarchy

Back to monarchy

People are corrupt

Wise men say , power corrupts men . Then why not power to women 😂
Nov 5, 2018 10:51 AM

Jan 2009
Never heard about it, but it seems somewhat interesting.

Railey2 said:
down with the monarchy
I would much rather have him as a symbolic ruler than each time a quite indirectly elected president who doesn't seem to care about representing his own culture and people. Monarchy creates stability and gives the people some role models.
Nov 5, 2018 10:58 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty cool
Noboru said:
I would much rather have him as a symbolic ruler than each time a quite indirectly elected president who doesn't seem to care about representing his own culture and people. Monarchy creates stability and gives the people some role models.
Ha ha, Sweden is still a monarchy
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 5, 2018 11:15 AM

Jan 2009
Comic_Sans said:
Pretty cool
Noboru said:
You're quite lucky in that regard. Oh speaking of which: apparently, some Indian guy came by bike to Sweden to meet his royal lover:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/pk-mahanandia-cycle-india-sweden-love-untouchable/

But whatever. Most royals in Europe have German blood, anyway.
Nov 5, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
Comic_Sans said:
Pretty cool
You're quite lucky in that regard. Oh speaking of which: apparently, some Indian guy came by bike to Sweden to meet his royal lover:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/pk-mahanandia-cycle-india-sweden-love-untouchable/

But whatever. Most royals in Europe have German blood, anyway.

quite lucky to have a king or queen who beheads people for disobeying?

monarchy and dictatorship walk hand in hand often

Railey2 said:
down with the monarchy

down with the monarchy

power to the people

^ this

people forget that theirs a reason we moved away from monarchy.
GrimAtramentNov 5, 2018 12:05 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 5, 2018 12:35 PM

Jan 2009
Swagernator said:

lol yep its him

ProudAsian and this guy should join forces
Nov 5, 2018 1:06 PM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
Name me just one country with a king or queen in Europe who beheads people. Pro tip: you can't, because the death penalty has long been abolished over here.

The complete removal of royalty from power was a very bad idea for the stability of Germany.
Nov 5, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:
Name me just one country with a king or queen in Europe who beheads people. Pro tip: you can't, because the death penalty has long been abolished over here.

The complete removal of royalty from power was a very bad idea for the stability of Germany.

elizabeth the first england
king john england
Caligula romen empire
vlad the impailer Romania

or did you mean in modern time because pro tip. basically all royal families have been removed as government figures.

even the current queen of england is more figure head then actual political leader.

cool they can't kill you directly they will just throw you in a cell for the rest of your life

monarchies suck. i find it laughable that you try to romanticize the middle ages.
GrimAtramentNov 5, 2018 2:03 PM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 5, 2018 2:23 PM

Feb 2018
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:

why do you worship germany so much
Nov 5, 2018 2:33 PM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
even the current queen of england is more figure head then actual political leader.
And that's the kind of thing I want to have for Germany, too. If we have to waste tax money for a useless position, at least let it be some where the royal family can pay more for a dignified and worthy representation of Germany and for which we don't have to pretend that our symbolic representative gets democratically elected.

cool they can't kill you directly they will just throw you in a cell for the rest of your life
Name me a single case where a monarch in Europe in contemporary times has thrown someone in a cell for life.

ExecCute said:
Because it's my mother country and because, there are so many people disliking the German nation, both from inside and outside.
Nov 5, 2018 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:
And that's the kind of thing I want to have for Germany, too. If we have to waste tax money for a useless position, at least let it be some where the royal family can pay more for a dignified and worthy representation of Germany and for which we don't have to pretend that our symbolic representative gets democratically elected.

Name me a single case where a monarch in Europe in contemporary times has thrown someone in a cell for life.

ExecCute said:
Because it's my mother country and because, there are so many people disliking the German nation, both from inside and outside.

i don't dislike Germany i just dislike people who undermine individuality and try to force everyone to act as a hivemind. or disallow people form loving and living in a country because there skins not the right color.

then you don't want a monarchy you want a figure head.

a monoarchy are government figures who RULE.

the current day monarchy for the most part are Monarchy in name only i.e figure heads.
GrimAtramentNov 5, 2018 2:44 PM

Nov 5, 2018 2:38 PM

Feb 2018
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:

ExecCute said:

why don't you do research instead of blindly worshiping germany? your country's not perfect and neither is mine.
Nov 5, 2018 2:45 PM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
i don't dislike Germany i just dislike people who undermine individuality and try to force everyone to act as a hivemind.
I don't undermine individuality. But it seems pointless trying to tell you how a symbolic monarchy would boost the morals of the country, keep the people united and might thus prevent it from imploding and from splitting up due to a lack of common culture.

ExecCute said:
why don't you do research instead of blindly worshiping germany? your country's not perfect and neither is mine.
Already did:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1733911
Nov 5, 2018 2:46 PM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:
i don't dislike Germany i just dislike people who undermine individuality and try to force everyone to act as a hivemind.
I don't undermine individuality. But it seems pointless trying to tell you how a symbolic monarchy would boost the morals of the country and might thus prevent it from imploding.

ExecCute said:
Already did:

maybe that because
your talking to a guy who comes from a country that said fuck kings and rebelled.

or maybe its because i don't see the appeal of having a man or woman acting high and mighty and telling me to kneel before them.

also if that the cause what do you have against people of non German decent and love your country living there? hmm? seems counter intuitive
GrimAtramentNov 5, 2018 2:51 PM

Nov 5, 2018 2:46 PM

Feb 2018
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:
I don't undermine individuality. But it seems pointless trying to tell you how a symbolic monarchy would boost the morals of the country and might thus prevent it from imploding.

ExecCute said:
Already did:

you're clearly very biased though.
Nov 5, 2018 2:52 PM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:

maybe that because
your talking to a guy who comes from a country that said fuck kings and rebelled.
Ah, so you don't live in the land of maple syrup, then.

also if that the cause what do you have against people of non German decent and love your country living there? hmm?
Nothing for as long as they are honest and good people. But Germany can't take half of Africa and Asia in it and needs to take care of their own people first.

ExecCute said:
Who is without any bias shall throw the first pebble. btw.: it's kinda strange how both of you reply at the very same time
Nov 5, 2018 2:53 PM

Feb 2018
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:

maybe that because

also if that the cause what do you have against people of non German decent and love your country living there? hmm?
Nothing for as long as they are honest and good people. But Germany can't take half of Africa and Asia in it and needs to take care of their own people first.

ExecCute said:
Who is without any bias shall throw the first pebble. btw.: it's kinda strange how both of you reply at the very same time

it's just funny how you shill so hard for germany, and compare every single country to yours.
Nov 5, 2018 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
ExecCute said:
it's just funny how you shill so hard for germany, and compare every single country to yours.
I feel honored to have gotten so much attention for it from you and I would have loved to continue on, but unfortunately, I have to wake up early tomorrow and it's close to midnight over here. So see ya around.
Nov 5, 2018 3:00 PM

Feb 2010
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:

maybe that because

ExecCute said:

those without bias won't throw any pebble since they view all as equals and don't look down on others. those without bias are capable of judging the mertas of each individual equality.

no i come from the land of railroads, dead bufflos,had to fight a war with ourselves to end slavery, and moon landings.

see i can both criticize and love my country. ;)

so you will treat a german who hates his country and commits crimes better over a non german who loves your country?

Nov 5, 2018 3:30 PM

Apr 2016
deg said:
Swagernator said:

lol yep its him

ProudAsian and this guy should join forces

I was thinking where he disappeared.
Nov 5, 2018 6:27 PM

Mar 2008

" Both analyses demonstrated genetic evidence of the origin of Koreans from the central Asian Mongolians. Further, the Koreans are more closely related to the Japanese and quite distant from the Chinese. "
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1510113

"In the genome map, the gene flow to the Korean Peninsula from its neighboring countries indicated that some genetic signals from Northern populations such as the Siberians and Mongolians still remain in the South East and West regions, while few signals remain from the early Southern lineages."
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0011855#pone.0011855.s003

There was a genetic study that supported this but i can't find it
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/south-koreans-may-have-indian-genes/articleshow/823181.cms
Nov 6, 2018 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
this isnt a current event and youre just larping again
Nov 7, 2018 8:26 PM

Jun 2015
Noice hijack nob.

Now what you really want is to bring back the holy roman empire
Nov 7, 2018 10:18 PM

Feb 2010
KuroudoAkabane said:
Noice hijack nob.

didn't they get there asses kicked by barbarians?

Nov 8, 2018 10:30 AM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
Noice hijack nob.

Damn, I didn't want to reply back, here, but ... Bakadex! :(

KuroudoAkabane was talking about the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation) and not about the Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire was destroyed during the 30 Years' War by fellow Germans and other Europeans, who were at the same level - if not even more developed.

@KuroudoAkabane: While it would be interesting to see the Imperial Regalia adorning Karl von Habsburg and Vienna being not only the cultural, but also the political capital of Germany once again, I wouldn't want to bring the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation) in that form back, but just the Kingdom of Germany (Regnum Teutonicum) with the current government of Austria being in charge, more plebiscites and more neutrality about international conflicts like Switzerland, and a king (or queen) that would act as a symbolic ruler to replace the pseudo-democratically elected president of the Federal Republic of Germany.
NoboruNov 8, 2018 10:37 AM
Nov 8, 2018 5:19 PM

Jun 2015
Noboru said:
hazarddex said:
Damn, I didn't want to reply back, here, but ... Bakadex! :(

KuroudoAkabane was talking about the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation) and not about the Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire was destroyed during the 30 Years' War by fellow Germans and other Europeans, who were at the same level - if not even more developed.

@KuroudoAkabane: While it would be interesting to see the Imperial Regalia adorning Karl von Habsburg and Vienna being not only the cultural, but also the political capital of Germany once again, I wouldn't want to bring the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nation) in that form back, but just the Kingdom of Germany (Regnum Teutonicum) with the current government of Austria being in charge, more plebiscites and more neutrality about international conflicts like Switzerland, and a king (or queen) that would act as a symbolic ruler to replace the pseudo-democratically elected president of the Federal Republic of Germany.
well since im not german ...

thts wht I meant
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.