New
Oct 28, 2018 2:12 PM
Aug 2017
sony censors games
Shinmurai-kuNNov 3, 2018 9:45 PM
Oct 28, 2018 2:53 PM

Oct 2012
FontSize72LOL said:
Its far worse than just Senran Kagura censorship.

Basically a policy shift is now forcing censorship standards in all ("18+") Japanese PS4 games, even those created for Japan only. While for now its mostly just affecting Japanese Fanservice games, which is probably allowing it to slip under the radar more than it should, but honestly the way they go about it is pretty unacceptable as well.

https://twitter.com/tsumori_/status/1056244025257328641

https://www.change.org/p/sony-towards-sony-their-new-policies
edited to make more specific

I went ahead and quoted my post from the Senran Kagura thread since it was more general purpose anyway.

I guess Sony wishes to purge anime fanservice games off their platform. I guess that just means that audience will have to switch over to the Nintendo Switch or better yet, Steam (PC) as long as Steam keeps their new policy of allowing more adult content into their store.
Oct 28, 2018 3:53 PM

Oct 2014
FoxyKaizoku said:
FontSize72LOL said:

I went ahead and quoted my post from the Senran Kagura thread since it was more general purpose anyway.

I guess Sony wishes to purge anime fanservice games off their platform. I guess that just means that audience will have to switch over to the Nintendo Switch or better yet, Steam (PC) as long as Steam keeps their new policy of allowing more adult content into their store.

Oh, it was you? Thanks for the link, I really liked the video and subscribed.

Yeah, you're right. I myself will definitely not be getting a next Playstation console. Sony keeps bullying anime fans and the whole Japanese culture, language. This is crazy that we've reached the point where they can do that.
Steam is the place to go. Switch, too since Nintendo has many great exclusives (Xenoblade, Beyonetta, Zelda).

If Nintendo Only would fix the Online Service....

Nintendo However Doesn't really care about such Politics, hell Reggy even Confirmed that in an Interview.

Just only more good New for the Family friendly Company Nintendo (and PC Master race Steam)
Oct 28, 2018 3:54 PM

Apr 2016
The tits will find a way.
Oct 28, 2018 3:55 PM

Oct 2012
@FoxyKaizoku

The video itself isn't me, or my account. I was just linking it because it was one of the few youtubers covering this thing, and it was a well sourced well put-together video. Not sure if thats what you meant by you, but I figured i'd clarify so you don't get the wrong idea lol. The dude makes some decent content from what i've seen though.

Yeah, It probably wont completely steer me away from sony, but I wont buy new at the very least. I'd rather support the Nintendo and Steam (as shit as it can be sometimes with their non-existent content filter letting scam games through) if these are going to be standard practices for now on.

Hell, I don't even care too much about fanservice games. I do play a fair amount of visual novels but those are generally better and less restricted on the PC anyway. But still, I'm not a huge fan of censorship and restrictions on artists freedom of expression. The Japanese market more or less accepts this stuff so its wierd to impose western standards on it.
FontSize72LOLOct 28, 2018 4:00 PM
Oct 28, 2018 4:03 PM

Nov 2008
Sony made the worst move in gaming history by moving to California. Also, the money pit market is no excuse, make some better games to counter it instead of censoring everything.

Oct 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
Hoppy said:
Sony made the worst move in gaming history by moving to California. Also, the money pit market is no excuse, make some better games to counter it instead of censoring everything.

The censoring part is bad enough, but how they're going about it is much worse. Like having the inspections being done in english for japanese games and companies. Do you realize how woefully inefficent and time consuming that is? Not to mention disrespectful. The only reason you'd do that kind of hamfisted approach is:

A) Gross Incompetence

B) You don't want those kinds of games and companies on your profile, so you passive agressively make it incredibly difficult and unattractive to push a game of that type onto your console in the hopes that they stop being made for it.

I feel bad for Light because I'm sure they had all of this stuff planned before Sony went collectively insane and started pushing this shit onto them, and now they have to deal with a long-term bottleneck because they have to comply with these asinine "inspection" policies.
Oct 28, 2018 4:36 PM

Jan 2018
Sony video game headquaters shouldn't have been moved to California in the first place, the US is always regulated by an FCC organization and they alwayes removes things that are too deemded weird, awful, strange, and offensive that might drive western gamers away, which is why Sony puts a lot of effort of censoring its games for PS consoles! I wish if Sony video gaming divison went back to Tokyo, since Japan is always open minded about ecchi, and anything offensive/werid stuff around.

(sorry for my poor English)
Oct 28, 2018 5:09 PM

Dec 2017
It is quite sad to see that many Japanese games get censorship when released in the western market even though the rating of the game has been given an adult rating.
Oct 28, 2018 6:39 PM

Mar 2012
Oct 28, 2018 6:45 PM

Aug 2018
gamergirl001 said:

If anything, Steam's going to get a load more Japanese Games if this keeps up.
Consoles aren't really worth getting now a days anyway.
Oct 28, 2018 6:47 PM

Mar 2012
WaSoJu said:
gamergirl001 said:

If anything, Steam's going to get a load more Japanese Games if this keeps up.
Consoles aren't really worth getting now a days anyway.

Ahh! I forgot about steam. I don’t use it that’s why lol.
Oct 28, 2018 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
And?

If Sony doesn't want to sell anime titties to westerns, that's their choice, and my choice not to buy the shit. Also, where is the disrespect to japanese language? The part where sony asks the studio to write to them in english? Pls explain @FoxyKaizoku
Oct 28, 2018 7:45 PM

Nov 2016
I don't understand why they do things like this. They just piss the the fanbase and people planning to buy the games with it.

Time for Xbox to become that console that's censorship freeeee
Oct 28, 2018 7:53 PM

Oct 2012
immaphilosopha said:
And?

If Sony doesn't want to sell anime titties to westerns, that's their choice, and my choice not to buy the shit. Also, where is the disrespect to japanese language? The part where sony asks the studio to write to them in english? Pls explain @FoxyKaizoku

Sony doesn't have an obligation to sell those games to the west. However, this isn't even about the west but about games produced in Japan for Japan. Culturally, the west and Japan have vastly different views on sex and violence. Whether or not how Sony in America is treating Japanese companies is disrespectful, is probably a matter of personal opinion. Forcing companies to translate stuff into english so they can "regulate" them instead of approaching them and looking at those products in raw Japanese is just odd and needlessly complicated especially when enforcing it onto companies where english typically isn't delt with.

Personally, if Sony doesn't want to have 18+ games on their system, that's fine. The PC market for said games are on the rise and there are major platforms developers can push their games with vastly less red tape. While personally, I'm not for censorship, the way they're handling the said censorship is demonstratably poor and worth criticism if anything else. Its just odd when suddenly Nintendo and Sony switch places all of sudden on the stance of having more "adult" content on their platform.

Personally, I'd at least like Sony to clarify their new policy and what drove them into making those decisions.

SpamuraiSensei said:
I don't understand why they do things like this. They just piss the the fanbase and people planning to buy the games with it.

Unfortunately as pointed out, the console market is dying (A big culprit being the mobile market being way more lucrative), and Xbox does exceedingly poor in Japan. Steam and PC gaming is seeing a huge boom in Japan right now, so if anything Japan is moving from consoles to Mobile and PC and those ecchi fanservice games would probably find the best audience on the PC where things are far less regulated anyway.

However, oddly enough, The Switch, and Nintendo (of Japan at least) has been a lot more reasonable lately so the Switch might be the system where you'll have to get your fanservice games now.
FontSize72LOLOct 28, 2018 7:57 PM
Oct 28, 2018 9:09 PM

Nov 2008
FoxyKaizoku said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Xbox isn't popular in Japan so I doubt that is to happen.

It's the name that killed it, Xbox=No Box in Japan

Oct 28, 2018 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
FoxyKaizoku said:
immaphilosopha said:
And?

I would have explained, but then I clicked on your profile and saw your bio. Quote: "
Anime is trash".

I don't think I need to explain anything, bye.

Are you at least going to explain why you won't explain? Or do you only have fleeting random thoughts and never anything of substance to write? I love low effort elitism as much as the next guy, but I asked you a genuine question that you failed to explain in your OP.

Not like it matters anymore, because @FontSize72LOL pretty much covered everything. I was under the impression that the article was referring to Western releases, but that's not the case, so it makes more sense; the ''disrespect'', as you say, towards the Japanese.
soitsOct 28, 2018 9:18 PM
Oct 28, 2018 9:34 PM

Aug 2009
Can't say that I care about most of the games affected, but it's all the more reason why I'm glad I went the PC route instead of a PS4; granted that I still want one for Bloodborne.

Oct 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Jun 2014
FacelessVixen said:
Can't say that I care about most of the games affected, but it's all the more reason why I'm glad I went the PC route instead of a PS4; granted that I still want one for Bloodborne.

I will never play PC games, so I guess that I have nowhere to turn, because I'm not buying a Switch.

Oct 28, 2018 11:16 PM

Oct 2014
immaphilosopha said:
FoxyKaizoku said:

I would have explained, but then I clicked on your profile and saw your bio. Quote: "
Anime is trash".

I don't think I need to explain anything, bye.

Are you at least going to explain why you won't explain? Or do you only have fleeting random thoughts and never anything of substance to write? I love low effort elitism as much as the next guy, but I asked you a genuine question that you failed to explain in your OP.

Not like it matters anymore, because @FontSize72LOL pretty much covered everything. I was under the impression that the article was referring to Western releases, but that's not the case, so it makes more sense; the ''disrespect'', as you say, towards the Japanese.

Japanese devs also have to wait until Midnight/Extreemly early in the morning to bs able to contact Sony because Sony only adheres to the PST time.

Nintendo on the other hand isn't pulling off that shit. Heck as I have said earlier, Reggy from Nintendo of America even said that They won't do such things because they don't care about such Politics.
Oct 29, 2018 12:38 AM

Jul 2012
FoxyKaizoku said:
immaphilosopha said:

Don't expect people to respond and treat you normally if you can't support your own image. A good lesson for you. Don't expect me to reply again.

Lol you make no sense. You make the thread and then you can't answer a simple question that asks you to elaborate on something you originally wrote! And then you get worked up over what is basically a meme. You say "don't expect", I also guess I shouldn't expect anything of value to be said by OPs on this site besides "look at this!"
*shrugs*
Just don't respond if you don't know what you're talking about lol
Oct 29, 2018 4:32 AM

Nov 2016
Come on guys.. I've been hearing about the console market dying for years now.. probably all the way back to 2010, but it's still here... and so are the multi-million dollar console exclusive games.
Oct 29, 2018 7:40 AM

Jun 2014
FoxyKaizoku said:
immaphilosopha said:

Don't expect people to respond and treat you normally if you can't support your own image. A good lesson for you. Don't expect me to reply again.

Seiya said:

I will never play PC games, so I guess that I have nowhere to turn, because I'm not buying a Switch.

Seems very one-sided... why?

I don't play games on a computer, because I only buy games if I can have them in physical form, and I have no interest in Nintendo.

Oct 29, 2018 11:02 AM

May 2018
Hoppy said:
Sony made the worst move in gaming history by moving to California.

lmao that explains everything
Oct 29, 2018 12:07 PM

Jun 2014
FoxyKaizoku said:
Seiya said:

I don't play games on a computer, because I only buy games if I can have them in physical form, and I have no interest in Nintendo.

Well, you're missing out a lot and because of weird principles but your choice...

And what exactly am I missing out on?

You do realize that I buy games, and almost never play them, right? I only play a couple of games a year.

Oct 29, 2018 12:44 PM

Apr 2015
This is getting ridiculous, especially since you know they won't be targeting non-Japanese games with strong sexual content, such as GTA, Red Dead Redemption, or The Witcher.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 29, 2018 12:47 PM

Sep 2008
Seiya said:

It is in physical form. It's data on a hard drive as opposed to data on a disc or cartridge.
Oct 29, 2018 1:03 PM

Jun 2014
5layer said:
Seiya said:

It is in physical form. It's data on a hard drive as opposed to data on a disc or cartridge.

That's not what I would call "Physical." Hard drive data is worthless to me, and I would never pay to download something.

Again, I don't really play video games anymore. I just buy them, and put them on a shelf for a decoration.

Oct 29, 2018 4:55 PM

Nov 2008
Another game censored to oblivion by NPC Sony in Japan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EvilFiek/status/1056527404968173569/photo/1

This one is exclusive so no uncensored Vita/Switch version.

Oct 29, 2018 5:24 PM

Jan 2008
Makes me paranoid because I actually own the Yuragi manga, hopefully Sony's influence doesn't start affecting that too.
Oct 29, 2018 5:30 PM

Nov 2008
Paul said:
Makes me paranoid because I actually own the Yuragi manga, hopefully Sony's influence doesn't start affecting that too.

Is the publisher owned by Sony? If not, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Oct 29, 2018 5:41 PM

Jan 2008
Hoppy said:
Paul said:

Is the publisher owned by Sony? If not, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yea I know, it's just a worry I have that this censorship ordeal will only keep getting more out of hand, spreading onto other Japanese mediums outside of just games.
Oct 29, 2018 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
Can it get any worse for Sony.. You what fuck this shit. Best idea is to avoid PS4 and future Japanese localized games. I'll still play games like Agents of Mayhem but I will not touch another Japanese game on the PS4 and instead buy them on a switch. Besides, I might need it for next year Pokemon game anyway.

Nov 1, 2018 2:20 AM

Oct 2012
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/neko-para-vol-1-for-ps4-removes-setting-increases-steam

Just adding this to the list.

Apparently there is also retroactive censorship, shit just keeps getting worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/9t79um/mary_skeltor_2_gets_the_sony_axe_of_censorship/
http://dq.tieba.com/p/5931442348
FontSize72LOLNov 1, 2018 3:39 AM
Nov 1, 2018 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
Sony is completely off my radar now. Censorship is showing zero respect to the games' developers and the customers who want to play these games in their original state.
Nov 1, 2018 7:14 AM

Jul 2009

The saving grace for this is that the purification system was a minor, even disregardable part of the first game, so it's probably the same deal in the sequel. Still, this is bad news since it proves that Sony has more things to come.
Nov 1, 2018 11:24 AM

Feb 2012
Seems I have to turn off all updates indefinitely. These kind of updates could also prevent trophies from popping, though obviously I no longer care if Sony is a lost cause.

Will be buying all games for Nintendo/steam and some retro systems from now on.
Nov 1, 2018 8:03 PM

Oct 2009
Skittles said:

The saving grace for this is that the purification system was a minor, even disregardable part of the first game, so it's probably the same deal in the sequel. Still, this is bad news since it proves that Sony has more things to come.
Not so minor if the removal of it causes balance issues with the gameplay, which it appears to be doing.
Nov 1, 2018 8:36 PM

Oct 2009
hotsushikun said:
Sony video game headquaters shouldn't have been moved to California in the first place, the US is always regulated by an FCC organization and they alwayes removes things that are too deemded weird, awful, strange, and offensive that might drive western gamers away, which is why Sony puts a lot of effort of censoring its games for PS consoles! I wish if Sony video gaming divison went back to Tokyo, since Japan is always open minded about ecchi, and anything offensive/werid stuff around.

(sorry for my poor English)
No, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) doesn't have anything to do with censorship in video games. The FCC deals with radio, cable, satellite, internet, etc. At most they would have some small roll in the accessibility features, internet access and internet communication features in games.

Video games are basically unregulated here in the US.

The only requirement is to get a rating from the ESRB and that's not a requirement by the government but retailers and console manufacturers. If you want to sell a game in a store or console service, the store or Sony requires the game to have a rating. Lots of games on Steam don't even have ESRB ratings because they're not required.

Pretty much anything you can find in a Japanese console game is perfectly acceptable here in the US. The issue of censorship is games is mostly due to the developers and publishers either targeting a specific rating, not wanting to pay to resubmit the game on the rare chance they get AO rating, get some sort of negative reaction from the public, have some sort of preconceived notion of what is acceptable here.
GogettersNov 2, 2018 10:34 AM
Nov 1, 2018 10:34 PM

Jan 2008
So I guess this means I can't ever expect to play a Compile Heart game without censored content now, they're just getting hit over and over.
Jul 1, 2021 7:13 PM
Dec 2017
its absoulte cancer thats going to kill sony one day.

Jul 2, 2021 8:47 AM

Feb 2015
Sony are doing you guys a favour by stopping those EDP445 impulses you get late at night
Jul 2, 2021 12:52 PM

May 2019
Good, I will continue to buy the censored games.
Jul 5, 2021 10:43 AM

Jul 2013
Sony has also been doing The Last of Us franchise dirty. Now Sony is basically like Google, you go woke, you go broke.

Should have moved their HQ to the UK where BitChute was founded or the Lone Star State. At least Texas is more American than California.

Sony is un-Japanese compared to Nintendo. Now I've decided to buy more Nintendo and more Japanese.

As I mentioned before, Sony doesn't even care about anime.
Jul 5, 2021 11:53 AM

Mar 2014
Yeah the Japanese have a term for this.

“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Aug 28, 2022 8:45 AM

Feb 2021
Kurt_Irving said:
Sony has also been doing The Last of Us franchise dirty. Now Sony is basically like Google, you go woke, you go broke.

Should have moved their HQ to the UK where BitChute was founded or the Lone Star State. At least Texas is more American than California.

Sony is un-Japanese compared to Nintendo. Now I've decided to buy more Nintendo and more Japanese.

As I mentioned before, Sony doesn't even care about anime.
Ironic coming from someone with anime produced by Sony in their favs lol
Dec 29, 2022 4:57 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Censorship is the tool of those who have the need to hide actualities from themselves and from others. Their fear is only their inability to face what is real, and I can't vent any anger against them. I only feel this appalling sadness. Somewhere, in their upbringing, they were shielded against the total facts of our existence. They were only taught to look one way when many ways exist.

Dec 30, 2022 12:23 PM
May 2012
Fuck censorship.

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3505 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3717 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

48 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

15 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

7 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.