Forum Settings
Forums

The anime that holds meaning to you, more than just a favorite.

New
Oct 21, 2018 9:26 PM

May 2018
What is the Anime (or manga) that holds a place in your heart, makes you feel whole or happy? something more specific than just a favorite. and also, why?

for me, as dumb as it may sound, Gintama is something i can always go back to and regardless will feel happy again. Even scrolling through the episodes and remembering them can make a bad day better. Back when my dad passed away it was like the first thing to make me laugh aloud again, Gintama really helped me forget all the chaos surrounding my closest family members passing and all the things involving it.

I can also go back and watch very early Naruto and remember just simpler times, ya know? Same with YotsubaTo! (which literally makes me so nostalgic its painful).

please feel free to elaborate as much as needed I'm interested in what everyone has to say and would love to check out some new series! No judgement either because that's not what this thread is for.

Edit: I am reading every comment because you all have such great stories!! i just came home from work and got to read through a bunch of them

TsubakiakaOct 22, 2018 8:03 PM

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 21, 2018 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
attack on titan, this anime/manga is my addiction and its a series that I truly care, it is the only series that I am truly invested in and its tough to find anything that will replace this series.
Oct 21, 2018 9:36 PM
Jun 2016
i like this :) for me it always was clannad taht hold a special place for me! i guess i watched it in a time were i didnt know where i was going and it kinda showed the way for me!

i tought i always needed to do someting crazy to value in life but after watching clannad i realized maybe i just need to find someone i love and be happy you know..

and now i am i lineman and just need to find someone to make happy :)
Oct 21, 2018 9:41 PM

Sep 2018
Welcome to the NHK, watched it during a harder time in my life and I really felt like I could connect and relate to the characters. In fact, I even cried at some points because the characters said something that felt like it pretty much came right out of my mind, I related so much, and I kind of felt less alone with my troubles and problems, and helped me realize there is worth in my life.
Fullmetal Alchemist will also always have a place in my heart, because it was one of my first anime, and also just reminds me of a very good point in my life. I have many good memories watching FMA, and I like to go back and rewatch it to relive some of those memories.
I’ll also mention Osomatsu-San, an anime that made me laugh when I was down. Even though life was terrible I could always look forward to coming home from a bad day at school to watch a new episode of it and forget all my troubles.
Oct 21, 2018 10:03 PM

May 2018
Mikellangelo said:
i like this :) for me it always was clannad taht hold a special place for me! i guess i watched it in a time were i didnt know where i was going and it kinda showed the way for me!

i tought i always needed to do someting crazy to value in life but after watching clannad i realized maybe i just need to find someone i love and be happy you know..

and now i am i lineman and just need to find someone to make happy :)

i always feel this way watching stories that happen over many years, seeing how fictional characters grow up and have their own lives/struggles makes you realize that while you may not have a spectacular life story, your life is still your own little narrative that events will take place in.

Oct 21, 2018 10:09 PM
Jun 2016
excatly! i feel like its something a lot of people forget.! focus on your own stuff! thats what really matters!

btw my first anime was wolf rain. good stuff really :)
Oct 21, 2018 10:11 PM

May 2018
juiccbox said:
Welcome to the NHK, watched it during a harder time in my life and I really felt like I could connect and relate to the characters. In fact, I even cried at some points because the characters said something that felt like it pretty much came right out of my mind, I related so much, and I kind of felt less alone with my troubles and problems, and helped me realize there is worth in my life.
Fullmetal Alchemist will also always have a place in my heart, because it was one of my first anime, and also just reminds me of a very good point in my life. I have many good memories watching FMA, and I like to go back and rewatch it to relive some of those memories.
I’ll also mention Osomatsu-San, an anime that made me laugh when I was down. Even though life was terrible I could always look forward to coming home from a bad day at school to watch a new episode of it and forget all my troubles.

I remember watching/reading Kamisama Hajimemashita and fruits basket during a really rough time and just seeing a young girl misplaced from her normal life and being thrown into completely new situations was really nice to relate to. Same with Paradise Kiss because i really felt like the main character and we had similar lives (new adults still working on highschool juggling jobs and not really knowing where to go and what to do) and i think about it a lot too, it sorta helped get me back on my feet. Ahhh and coming home after long days and watching a light hearted series is the best, one punch man is one of my go to's its just bizarre and hilarious

Oct 21, 2018 10:29 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Sadly I've never been able to connect with an anime on a deeper level like that I don't think. I think the closest I ever got to that was maybe Inyuashiki? I thought that had a few tearjerker scenes and I really loved some of its themes. Although if we're talking an anime I truly truly loved I think Konosuba was easily the most I've ever enjoyed watching an anime. There's something about it I loved just so much I really hope that maybe by some chance it can get a third season some day.
Oct 21, 2018 10:33 PM

Aug 2018
DRAGON BALL and NGE, DB was my entire childhood and I loved every second of it... even the games !

NGE blowed my fking mind the first time I watched it, I was 12 yo and I couldn't believe that I was watching a "cartoon". It was so violent and had those deep moments were Shinji was struggling with everything that I never could forget it.

And then you could say Bleach, it was the first show that I watched online thanks to an otaku dude that I met in college... he dropped it near the half of the first year because he was really dumb even tho he failed to enter for 2 years in a row XD
Oct 21, 2018 10:36 PM

Jul 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion holds more meaning and it's more than just a favorite of mine.
Oct 21, 2018 10:39 PM

Nov 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion, nothing in any medium would even come close to the profound impact it had on me as a child growing up and even though I know it's not perfect I honestly don't care much for it's flaws.
Oct 21, 2018 10:39 PM

Dec 2013
Ping Pong

As a retired athlete I couldn't help getting choked up. The struggles, mental, psychological, and physical, competition, the kinship/family of teammates...it all comes flooding back.
Oct 21, 2018 11:33 PM

May 2018
Teekyuu - makes me feel relaxed.

Detective shows like Kindaichi and Conan have the same effect. Apparently there is something very soothing in murder investigations...
Oct 22, 2018 12:03 AM

Mar 2016
Tokyo Godfathers - I don't know how to explain it in better words but everything about it was excellent, the realistic art, the philosophy of the story and the positive characters who were branded as trash in their society. A simple story of Homeless people doing good works.
Oct 22, 2018 12:04 AM
Jul 2016
For me it's The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I discovered it by watching Onlyafro(a Dark souls youtuber); there was this smugging girl in his profile pic and it got me interested. I searched it up and found the anime(strangely enough, it was dubbed in my language even though anime wasn't popular at the time). I watched all 2 seasons in airing order and it blew me away:the relationships all the characters had, all the adventures, the mysteries, plot twists and the author's love for that world made me fall in love with it. After about 1 year I found out about the movie and I got super excited, watched it and was completely blown away once again; that movie's quality is really on another level. 1 year after the movie I discovered the spinoff series and got super excited once again, but after watching it I was disappointed and felt a void, which will probably never be filled since there are no plans for a 3rd season. All of this happened between the second and fourth year of highschool(HS here is 5 years), and I got 2 of my classmates to like it as much as I do
Oct 22, 2018 12:14 AM
Aug 2011
Tiger & Bunny. I was barely truly understanding what seasonals were and following something weekly gave me all sorts of life.
Some people even had a Sternbild Friend Rice Event going where people would cook fried for the final episode. Holy shit man it was great.

But now people compare the show to fucking Hero Academia. God just take a huge cock and shove it down my throat and choke me to death before I see that garbage in the same sentence as T&B again.
Oct 22, 2018 12:20 AM
Oct 2018
For me it's InuYasha for a couple of reasons.
When I was 14/15 (back in 2005/06) anime was pretty hard to find and dial up was awful to try and use the net to watch anything and trying to buy anime then well good luck. I had to have my tonsils out and was going to be out of school for a few weeks so my friend lent me some VHS tapes (yes VHS not dvds lol) with InuYasha that she recorded off adult swim. Fast forward to the end of my first year at university in late 2010/11 and I hadnt seen much of InuYasha or anime since then but I ended up rather sick and had to have an operation and was going to spend my summer break recovering from an operation and couldn't really do anything. My younger sister knowing I felt a bit down from that found Inuyasha on youtube of all places with 5 seasons of episodes and we binged the series over the summer and then both fell down the anime rabbit whole thereafter lol. It was the first series I really got into and watched in its entirety and then went and bought most of the series on DVD as well. While it is not the best anime ever it is still a nostalgic fav of mine to this day.
Oct 22, 2018 12:27 AM

Feb 2018
Pokemon makes me remember a time when my life still had meaning, and I was a happy person.
Oct 22, 2018 12:32 AM

Apr 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't think I've ever been more invested in a cast of characters more than that anime. One of the only few anime where I know literally every characters name.

Eureka Seven gave me the best adventure and romance in an anime I've watched. It also has such an intriguing world with so much lore and mystery around it. I love the entire universe of Eureka Seven.
Oct 22, 2018 12:38 AM

May 2018
SylveonQueen said:
When I was 14/15 (back in 2005/06) anime was pretty hard to find and dial up was awful to try and use the net to watch anything and trying to buy anime then well good luck. I had to have my tonsils out and was going to be out of school for a few weeks so my friend lent me some VHS tapes (yes VHS not dvds lol) with InuYasha that she recorded off adult swim. Fast forward to the end of my first year at university in late 2010/11 and I hadnt seen much of InuYasha or anime since then but I ended up rather sick and had to have an operation and was going to spend my summer break recovering from an operation and couldn't really do anything. My younger sister knowing I felt a bit down from that found Inuyasha on youtube of all places with 5 seasons of episodes and we binged the series over the summer and then both fell down the anime rabbit whole thereafter lol. It was the first series I really got into and watched in its entirety and then went and bought most of the series on DVD as well. While it is not the best anime ever it is still a nostalgic fav of mine to this day.

oh my god i love this ahah .Gosh this reminds me when i was younger and would go to the library with my mom to check out random VHS's to watch at home every week since we couldn't afford to buy a dvd player and the library was the only place with VHS for free. I always checked out Sailor Moon tapes (which i never knew the name of until many years later) It was always in Japanese too so i would just watch these colorful sequences with 0 context.
and honestly, it never really has to be that great of a series for it to be special to you! that's sorta why i made this, i just like to see people tell their stories without like...judgement of their tastes

Oct 22, 2018 12:51 AM

Jan 2017
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The characters of all roles are tolerable, or better yet, platonically loveable. The show doesn't innovate the cyberpunk, cop story theme but does it best as one. None of the episodes are dull even the episode that was just a summary of the previous episodes in season 1.
Oct 22, 2018 1:05 AM

Apr 2018
Mine, as always is Black lagoon. My reasons for this are pretty simple, I just really enjoy this anime because I like all the nods and references it has to past movies and film directors, I like the relationship between the two MCs (both MCs as they literally show up in about the same scene and are in every episode then on), I like the action, the art style and animation, the character designs and all characters, and the VA dubs were done very well imo.
Oct 22, 2018 1:14 AM
Oct 2018
Tsubakiaka said:
SylveonQueen said:

oh my god i love this ahah .Gosh this reminds me when i was younger and would go to the library with my mom to check out random VHS's to watch at home every week since we couldn't afford to buy a dvd player and the library was the only place with VHS for free. I always checked out Sailor Moon tapes (which i never knew the name of until many years later) It was always in Japanese too so i would just watch these colorful sequences with 0 context.
and honestly, it never really has to be that great of a series for it to be special to you! that's sorta why i made this, i just like to see people tell their stories without like...judgement of their tastes

I remember doing something similar with Sailor Moon as well. It used to be on the morning cartoon shows on a weekedays for me and I used to get up extra early so I could be ready for school by the time it was on. I never saw the end of Sailor Moon R as a kid and I remember finding it again in 2011 finally got to see the whole series.
Oct 22, 2018 1:14 AM

May 2015
Well I'm a bit bored, so I might as well tell my story of how I came across my "Holy Trinity".

TarotistOct 22, 2018 1:19 AM
Oct 22, 2018 1:50 AM

Feb 2017
I don't think there would be one anime that would replace TTGL imo, its energy and charismatic characters always hooked me from very start to the very end, both sides really hold their insane ideology to the very end of their life. I'm glad that this anime exists

As much as I love TTGL, Ashita no Joe always be my second best and my inspiration to certain extent. Heart-wrenching coming-of-age with gritty atmosphere and probably one of finest 80s aesthetic audiovisual combined, is just perfect

As for the manga, Yotsubato will always be my all-time favourite, it's cheerful and endearing
Oct 22, 2018 1:56 AM

Jun 2017
I don't favorite anything that I may remove them in "near" future so all of my favorites I thinks counts as the thing you say...
Tsubakiaka said:
Same with YotsubaTo! (which literally makes me so nostalgic its painful).

Definitely, you're woman of culture.
Oct 22, 2018 1:58 AM
Apr 2017
Your lie in april and clannad after story changed me in a way that they made me want to do more with my life and they showed me that no matter how hard it gets you will get something beautiful in return.

And then are slice of life shows like shirobako and bakuman that are important to me because they show that one can make a great and never boring show without adding overpowered characters fighting and/or random fanservice all the time. I believe that way more shows (especially more recent ones) should take this lessons to heart.
Oct 22, 2018 2:00 AM

Mar 2016
Oddly enough, both are slice of life, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Sakurasou was so wholesome. It felt like a journey as if you were accompanying the characters through their experiences of fail and success and that really did hit home.

Daily Lives of High School Boys cause it made me so nostalgic. It makes reminisce on those good old days in school where my friends and I would irresponsibly screw around, have fun, do pranks, and all sorts of fun stuff like Hidenori, yoshitake, and tadakuni did. Those were the days lol.
Oct 22, 2018 2:04 AM
Aug 2017
As wired as it may sound "Soul eater" has a really special place in my heart, it was the first anime I ever watched and the series that started it all for me. "Gintama" also has I similar spot in my heart allong with "my neighbor Totoro"
But none of them beats the magic I first experienced when first watching"soul eater".
Oct 22, 2018 2:06 AM

Mar 2018
Pokemon
Yes you guessed it, nostalgia. Tbh the anime isn't even in my top ten but I grew up surrounded by pokemon (cards, toys, games, anime). I know the anime is not really that good but it holds a very dear place in my heart. Especially the original trio (Ash, Misty, Brock) also team rocket, it wouldn't have been so fun without them. I don't watch newer episodes anymore or collect the cards but I stiill play the games.
Oct 22, 2018 2:06 AM

Jan 2016
March Comes in Like a Lion is a show that fits this. Not only is it an amazing tale of hope amidst depression it made me realize tge importance of introspection, and of solitude. This really just went far and beyond the expectations I have for this medium.
Oct 22, 2018 2:17 AM
Oct 2016
Naruto for sure.(Waiting to forget so that I can start reading Manga).
Yotsuba Manga.(World seen with different point of view)
Gintama Manga or sometimes anime (Just started but with just 25 chapter great impact).
Beyblade (Childhood).
Crayon Shinchan (Hats off, Learn how to be careless and not overthinker)
Doraemon and Kiteretsu (childhood).
yugioh.
the devil is a part-timer ! (Dedication for job)
it's hard to select the first one.
skwalkingOct 22, 2018 2:37 AM
Oct 22, 2018 2:32 AM

Sep 2017
Hetalia will always hold a special place in my heart. I fell in love watching the first episode and all episodes after (due to my love of history despite the historical inaccuracies), their silly and dynamic personalities really appealed to me, and goddamn for something so silly and stereotypical did it make me cry at times. Hetalia managed to save me from a dark place and still continues to do so, and it was thanks to this series that I was able to make some friends. I find it disappointing that the fandom gets such a bad reputation (unfortunately it's one of the most toxic fandoms out there), but it will always hold a place in my heart regardless.
Oct 22, 2018 2:42 AM

Aug 2016
DanMachi(Cuz that is a show that got me in to anime)
Koe no Katachi(Cuz I had some similarities with main character, and it's kinda like side view on what I experienced, that's why I love that show so much, and can rewatch it everyday)
Oct 22, 2018 5:11 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Digimon Adventure
One of the characters was similar to a role model for me during a time there were only celebrities, superheroes, and disney princesses.

This character taught me to get up and "fight back", to make life better, to not be stuck in the past eternally, locking yourself in a dark room crying and hating yourself, hating life, wondering what you've done to deserve this and wishing you weren't there anymore.

I probably wouldn't have been here if it weren't for that character.
I owe my life and so much more to this show.
Oct 22, 2018 5:16 AM

Mar 2016
barakamon had an influence on me that i'll never forget.
Oct 22, 2018 5:47 AM
Feb 2017
Toradora! is my personal favorite. The story is pretty straight forward, but the fun atmosphere lets the story become very enjoyable. The relationship between characters is what I find the best part, as each one is unique in its own way, and it shows what true friendship with other people looks like. This light-hearted anime will always have a place in my heart.
Oct 22, 2018 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
Yu-Gi-Oh I guess. Yeah it is dumb and over the top bullshit about emo boys playing cards on *insert whatever here, but at least it is FUN!
Oct 22, 2018 5:59 AM

Aug 2018
Pokemon cause of nostalgia but Yakitate Japan. I have other favourites but I always watch that one every other year. I can be absolutely sick of anime and I’ll still love that show
Oct 22, 2018 6:08 AM

Jun 2012
Sangatsu no Lion: First destroyed the shelter I call my ego and then healed my wounded mind for a short while.

Berserk (97), Hunter x Hunter (2011) and Houseki no kuni: They were not only "anime shows" to me, they were experiences.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Oct 22, 2018 6:45 AM

Mar 2012
Kyo Kara Maoh! I had originally watched on Animax during their Wacky Thursdays time slot and I really loved it as a 11 year old.

It was when I started reading its LNs years later that it actually started to become special to me.
Maou_heikaOct 22, 2018 6:49 AM
Oct 22, 2018 6:52 AM
Oct 2018
Genshiken. It was one of the first reasons I got into anime back in high school circa 2007. Even to this day I can put in the DVDs and roll my eyes then smile because of the hilarious nature of otakus who take things to the extreme. It's sort of self-deprecating and highly realistic, I liked it a lot and still do. It also introduced me the things tangental to anime/manga like: cosplay, building scale models, and J-pop.
Oct 22, 2018 6:53 AM
Oct 2018
Azumanga Daioh. Osaka really hit home for me and made me more motivated to do my best even if I was slower than others. It helped me through some tough times too. It felt so genuine and heartfelt too.
Oct 22, 2018 7:02 AM

Nov 2016
One Piece. I honestly can't describe well how amazing it is for me with just using a few words. The excitement I get from it's storytelling, the enjoyment from the character interactions and the fond memories I have. Immeasurable.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 22, 2018 7:18 AM

Mar 2017
Same with you OP...Gintama is really special for me until now...the story was simple but gave a lot of laughs and meaningful lessons. :)
Oct 22, 2018 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
Reborn! obviously.

I watched it 8 years ago because a acquaintance recommended it to me, and it was during a time where everyone else was a piece of crap, so it helped to make me feel better.

I also really love my fav character from the show to death because I really admire him for how strong and confident he is, and also how he doesn't give a shit about other people's opinions on him.

It's one of those shonen shows that started off ok and ended with a weak ending, but I don't give a shit about the flaws it has no matter how many shitheads try to use it as a insult against me.

Oct 22, 2018 7:34 AM

Aug 2015
haikyuu!!, it sparked my love for volleyball
Oct 22, 2018 7:35 AM

Feb 2014
For me it's Gin no Saji. It's the first anime that made me say I want more of it. I really liked the story and the atmosphere of this anime. And it also gave me a whole new perspective about study and work, and also about a horse riding xD.
Oct 22, 2018 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
hmm good question op
probably death note because i have watched it 4-5 times
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

90 by LostSpectre »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

18 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 10 hours ago

43 by traed »»
17 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.